PDA

View Full Version : Our Starting Goalie now Bendik's healthy?

DragonicKhaos
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM
I saw this article from Waking the Red about our starting GK.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/6/9/8754003/why-all-the-hate-for-chris-konopka-greg-vanney-joe-bendik-toronto-fc-mls-maple-leafs-controversy

Now that Bendik is healthy, who do you believe our starting keeper? Konopka has been great in goal, (ok maybe not the last game) so do you think we should change anything?

Defoe
06-10-2015, 07:05 PM
I saw this article from Waking the Red about our starting GK.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/6/9/8754003/why-all-the-hate-for-chris-konopka-greg-vanney-joe-bendik-toronto-fc-mls-maple-leafs-controversy

Now that Bendik is healthy, who do you believe our starting keeper? Konopka has been great in goal, (ok maybe not the last game) so do you think we should change anything?

Don't fix what aint broken. Konopka all the way. And it's not like Bendik ever really flourished he's a give away machine as well.

notthesun
06-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Easy choice, Konopka. I don't even know where that WTR article is coming from. There's been hate for Konopka? I've seen far more hate for Bendik.

Yes Konokpa was shaky against D.C. but he's been excellent otherwise, and hasn't cost us points yet. Start him until he does, then this is a discussion worth having. I think Bendik is a fine keeper but in my opinion he cost us at least a point against Chicago.

Globetrotter
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Yes Konokpa was shaky against D.C. but he's been excellent otherwise.

Baloney. Bologna.

People for years on this forum have been more in love with potential and hope for a player. This is no different. People felt the same way with Bendik as they do now with Konopka.

That was not just one shaky start - that's who Konopka is. Though the ball didn't fly through his hands in the earlier games - all the signs were there that it was a matter of time.

He is not an MLS starter, he's a guy you have on the bench to play in friendlies and maybe the first game of a Canadian championship game.

Bendik might not be the answer - but Konopka is certainly not either, and these rose colored glasses won't last long. Konopka is just not a starter in this league.

tfcleeds
06-10-2015, 07:24 PM
OK, neither Bendik or Konopka are optimal. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Konopka starts until he starts costing us points.

portu
06-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Listen, neither of these guys are the long term answer at keeper. However, I'd rather Konopka in goal so that we can shift Bendik for salary cap relief.

Shakes McQueen
06-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Both keepers have flaws - I don't think there's any clear answer between sticking with the "hot hand", versus giving the injured guy a shot to get the job back.

Personally, I'd probably give the edge to Konopka right now.

OgtheDim
06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Konopka goes when Vanney's Pink shirt goes.

notthesun
06-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Baloney. Bologna.

People for years on this forum have been more in love with potential and hope for a player. This is no different. People felt the same way with Bendik as they do now with Konopka.

That was not just one shaky start - that's who Konopka is. Though the ball didn't fly through his hands in the earlier games - all the signs were there that it was a matter of time.

He is not an MLS starter, he's a guy you have on the bench to play in friendlies and maybe the first game of a Canadian championship game.

Bendik might not be the answer - but Konopka is certainly not either, and these rose colored glasses won't last long. Konopka is just not a starter in this league.

First of all, I didn't say he's excellent, I said he's been excellent. That's a big difference.

But moreover, this gets a huge meh from me.

Goalkeeper is not a position you should be spending significant dollars on in this league at this stage. Konopka is cheap and good enough. That's the perfect goalkeeper as far as I'm concerned. Not saying Konopka is the best we can do, just that in my opinion he ticks the boxes of what we should be looking for, so I'm satisfied. So did Bendik by the way, but he's pushing that with his raise in pay vs. a regression in his play.

Listen, the Galaxy won back to back cups with Josh Saunders not too long ago, and SKC won with 35 year old and completely average Jimmy Nielsen. SKC is looking like one of the strongest teams in the league at the moment and they have two nobodies guarding their net, pretty much same as us. There are three keepers in the league who you could say are nearly mistake-free - Rimando, Hamid and Kennedy - and the teams that employ them are all paying a premium. I think that money is better spent elsewhere so having average keepers really doesn't bother me.

Globetrotter
06-10-2015, 08:25 PM
We're not looking for huge spend, but we are looking for an MLS starter, and just wait - Konopka will prove that he's not that.

Here's the tricky part, the honeymoon for our fans usually lasts a .75 to 1 season before we go from "let's use him right now because he's played 2 games and hasn't been absolutely horrid" to "now that we've had time to evaluate, he has lots of flaws and we need the upgrade".

We're going to be pushing for a playoff spot, and potentially a run. Our love goggles for him at the moment need to be removed and realize that in a half season we'll be on the cusp of the playoffs and that is not the time for us to realize that he's not the one - and is in fact someone that could single handedly cost us our season.

Bendik is a quality sub, and reliable for some starts.
Konopka is not a starter.

We know what Bendik has to offer and where the deficiencies are. With Konopka, he's glowing with errors, and once he has a body of work (and not just a few games), we'll all see he's not a starter.

If we don't stick with Bendik, the hunt needs to be on for an upgrade.

notthesun
06-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Here's the tricky part, the honeymoon for our fans usually lasts a .75 to 1 season before we go from "let's use him right now because he's played 2 games and hasn't been absolutely horrid" to "now that we've had time to evaluate, he has lots of flaws and we need the upgrade".

Sounds like what was said about Warner last year.

Richard
06-10-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm liking the beard though, not enough soccer players with beards.

boozilla
06-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Konopka stays until we lose. Then put Bernier back in.g:D

James17930
06-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Konopka is terrible in the air.

I say get Bendik back in there as soon as possible.

Ivy
06-11-2015, 06:10 AM
What's TFCs record since Konopka started playing? Yah... Talk to me when that changes.

Carter
06-11-2015, 07:11 AM
What's TFCs record since Konopka started playing? Yah... Talk to me when that changes.

I agree...

Year
Club
GP
GS
MIN
SHT
SV
GA
PKG
PKA
W
L
T

Bendik

Toronto FC

Konopka

Toronto FC

As much as Konopka is shaky at times, he still is winning.

Globetrotter
06-11-2015, 07:29 AM
and I suppose the fact the team in front of the keeper has improved significantly has nothing to do with that...

bimmer
06-11-2015, 08:01 AM
All things aside, Bendik is the superior keeper for me, no doubt. Konopka was shaky against Philly, which was excusable because it was his first match in how long, but he showed the same weaknesses again against DC. It's not just a fluke at this point, we need to recognize that he has trouble determining when to come out for the ball (and often messes up when he does) and it WILL cost us goals/games if it continues.

That said, Konopka has had some good performances in this run and it may be unwise to shake things up in the middle of a good thing.

Fort York Redcoat
06-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Sounds like more people want an upgrade than to stick with either.

This thread is choosing the best of 2 unspectacular options.

I go with Konopka because he's on a run. Like most people. I don't think anybody is blinding themselves with his perfection. If it's a choice between what we'd call 2 backups then one usually goes with what's working.

PopePouri
06-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Quillan Roberts.

James17930
06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
and I suppose the fact the team in front of the keeper has improved significantly has nothing to do with that...

I would say that's the main reason, yes.

OgtheDim
06-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Quillan Roberts.

Right now, he's not an upgrade. In 4 seasons, we will likely be arguing Bono vs. Roberts.

C.Ronaldo
06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
league would benefit from a goalie DP rule.

but then that lower the goals per game which is bad for busienss in N.A

Derko
06-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Don't fix what aint broken. Konopka all the way. And it's not like Bendik ever really flourished he's a give away machine as well.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that, however, Konopka is playing sound and should be left in goal. I think you seem to be overlooking Konopka's very scary moments in which he has been very lucky to get through. Don't get me wrong I like Konopka as a keeper. But one must be more analytical when comparing players. Just my thoughts. I also voted Konopka

PopePouri
06-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Right now, he's not an upgrade. In 4 seasons, we will likely be arguing Bono vs. Roberts.

If we consider Bendik and Q as similar quality, I'd choose Q all the time who has been dominant with TFC 2.

OgtheDim
06-11-2015, 09:23 AM
If we consider Bendik and Q as similar quality....

I wouldn't yet. USL is 3rd division for a reason. And Roberts wasn't dominant at first. Give him a few years down there honing his craft and he will be a way better player then if brought up now.

spark
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I've never felt Bendik is as good as some proclaim, and Konopka's performances I think show that the generic US/NAmerican keeper is more than capable at putting in decent performances and not being a liability. Which is what Bendik is - typical NCAA/US youth keeper that you can find every year in the draft. He can be replaced as easily as Frei and Kocic before him and I'd have no issues with either Q or Bono even getting a look.

brad
06-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Vote for Konopka. The team is playing well, I don't think you want to change a winning side unless the player coming in good upgrade in quality (ie Jozy back in for Moore).

Both are backups, both are dodgy in their own ways, but I don't see anything from Bendik to suggest we'd be better with him in now.

dupont
06-11-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm still shocked that Frei lost his starting spot here. He is clearly a very good starting keeper at the MLS level.

Cashcleaner
06-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Easy vote for Konopka for myself. Like many have already mentioned, the team is doing well and we seem to have a good chemistry going on right now, so I see little reason to change things up in net.

brad
06-11-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm still shocked that Frei lost his starting spot here. He is clearly a very good starting keeper at the MLS level.

Bendik was playing well at that time (much better than now) and Frei was defiantly rusty coming back in from injury. I suspect there might have been some concern about points being dropped while Frei was getting his match fitness up.

But I think the bigger thing was Bendik was doing the job at that time for a fraction of the cost, and Frei was more a victim of his high salary than anything.

Steelers7
06-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Agreed. I miss Frei due to his (in my view) vastly superior athletic ability compared to Bendik, but alas its the way it goes it pro sports.

Everyone else is saying one bad game for Knopoka and go back to Bendik. Makes no sense at all what-so-ever.
For everyone that's a Leaf fan on here how'd the circle of goalies work 2 years ago when each game you had no idea who was starting in net? Neither was able to get into a rhythm, although the team infront of them was pretty shitty so I'm not sure it really mattered lol
Put simply a guy will have a bad game as its a long season. But the only way you go to Bendik now is if he plays like junk for 2 or 3 games and all are losses. If you go back and forth it shows you have zero confidence in who you have in net and the rest of the team will play differently.

Its Knopoka's team now.

Joe Kool
06-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Bendik was playing well at that time (much better than now) and Frei was defiantly rusty coming back in from injury. I suspect there might have been some concern about points being dropped while Frei was getting his match fitness up.

But I think the bigger thing was Bendik was doing the job at that time for a fraction of the cost, and Frei was more a victim of his high salary than anything.

Agreed. Frei only left really because of our crippled cap situation at the time and his cost compared to Bendik who was looking alright in net at the time. Since then Bendik seemed to get into too much of a comfort zone. Konopka really stepped it up more than I thought he could. He moves faster than Bendik which I like and he comes out for balls which most of the time work out (few scary moments) whereas Bendik would always be more of a stay at home kind of keeper which can lead to goals if you are afraid to come out and get the ball. Maybe because he knows he is slow. My wife never liked Bendik and always asked me why the hell is he still the no 1 keeper. She hasn't said anything about Konopka yet other than "what is with the beard". Just my two cents.

Jack
06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Konopka has been hot and his saves in NE earned us a tough road point. He's been the guy while we've been playing very well and winning, so I don't see a reason to break that up. He's not the best, but MLS keepers (and most players) tend to have holes in their game. That's why they're in MLS.

Steelers7
06-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Konopka has been hot and his saves in NE earned us a tough road point. He's been the guy while we've been playing very well and winning, so I don't see a reason to break that up. He's not the best, but MLS keepers (and most players) tend to have holes in their game. That's why they're in MLS.

Well said.

PopePouri
06-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Funny enough, Konopka's distribution is worse than Bendiks. Like 45% PS compared to 55%.

pdubs
06-11-2015, 11:45 AM
In my view Bendik is our #1, however I say keep Konopka starting till he slips up consistently. Maybe give Bendik a game when the schedule gets busy. If we keep winning and Konopka is between the pipes then why touch that. Regardless this will bring more competition to the position and if Konopka continues his form then look to ship Bendik off, even tho overall I prefer him.

I think the point that the team overall is playing better is important and honestly think Bendik would be giving us similar outings - he has kept us in games before when we had no business being in them. But again, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

trane
06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Konopka, because it is working, and I think he has the confidence to became really good. Time will tell.

General Woolfe
06-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Bendik for me despite his poor start to the season. Konopka can be a real bombscare at times

Oldtimer
06-11-2015, 12:17 PM

Too pricey, used up too much of the cap/salary allowance.

OgtheDim
06-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Too pricey, used up too much of the cap/salary allowance.

Tells you how much our cap space was screwed by short pants and Anselmi.

BTW, last year Bendik made $147K and Frei $150K.

I wouldn't put either of them in elite of the league status. Both servicable MLS keepers.

bimmer
06-11-2015, 12:35 PM

I wouldn't put either of them in elite of the league status. Both servicable MLS keepers.

I remember back in the day a lot of people (including many on these boards) thought it was a foregone conclusion that Frei would eventually get swept up by a bigger European club because of his Swiss heritage or whatever.

TFC1154ever
06-11-2015, 01:12 PM
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. He saved a penalty.....

Oldtimer
06-11-2015, 01:14 PM

You nailed it. Bendik was seriously underpaid at the time, so he was the option they went with.

portu
06-11-2015, 01:25 PM
You nailed it. Bendik was seriously underpaid at the time, so he was the option they went with.
But then they gave Bendik a 100 000 dollar raise which I think is insane for an unproven keeper

OgtheDim
06-11-2015, 01:31 PM
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. He saved a penalty.....

Which He are you talking about?

Bendik saved one in Chicago last year, and the rebound.

ManUtd4ever
06-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Neither is a long term solution in my opinion, but Konopka has done a better job overall this season. He just needs to tighten his grip around the box to ease our nerves a bit. ;)

Oldtimer
06-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Well said. There is a hot market overseas for solid keepers, the best U.S. trained ones are in high demand, so if you're here you are not totally solid. Just think of Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, and Brad Guzan, all who have played in the EPL. There was an article last year on why the U.S. produces such great goal keepers: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/tim-howard-usa-goalkeepers

jloome
06-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I like how Konopka performed for the most part, but he's too shaky to be a starter. He makes late decisions and has stone hands. The way we've been playing, I'd been considerably more confident with Joe Bendik in. It's easy to go after him when our defense was getting shredded because we had no cohesion. I don't think he'd have done any worse than Konopka in those games.

I think Konopka is a good reaction keeper, but he can't control the box at all and makes dumb decisions. Lots of them. After that last game, I'm not sure how anyone can think he should be starting. Even with the odd one let in that he should've gotten, Bendik has NEVER looked that shaky, and consistency is the hallmark of a starter.

jloome
06-11-2015, 03:07 PM

That last game was a bad, bad sign, Jack. These were basic decisions about which balls to go for and which not. I just don't see it; in fact, he'll cost us points if we leave him in. Book it.

Jack
06-11-2015, 03:53 PM
That last game was a bad, bad sign, Jack. These were basic decisions about which balls to go for and which not. I just don't see it; in fact, he'll cost us points if we leave him in. Book it.
Just as Bendik has done. When keepers make mistakes, it usually costs goals and often points. And I agree the last game was a bad sign, but I don't agree that we pull him just yet. A couple more of those and then we look at it.

ag futbol
06-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I remember back in the day a lot of people (including many on these boards) thought it was a foregone conclusion that Frei would eventually get swept up by a bigger European club because of his Swiss heritage or whatever.
People look too much at spectacular saves and forget all the other little things that make a keeper complete. Command of your box, communication with the back line, distribution.... This is where a lot of guys in this league fall short.

But I think this topic gets too much burn. LA won a cup with josh Saunders and he's pretty damn average.

TorontoFC6fan
06-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Bendik lets in easy goals. If I'm a striker I'm always shooting post side on bendik.. How many times have we seen this man not cover his corner post.. Anybody thats been involved with a soccer club knows 1 of the first things they teach the goal keepers is to always cover your corner post when the player is advancing on your left or right side.. Bendik always let's in those soft near post goals. I still think Neither of them is should be the number 1 keeper next season.

evermorian
06-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Bendik lets in easy goals. If I'm a striker I'm always shooting post side on bendik.. How many times have we seen this man not cover his corner post.. Anybody thats been involved with a soccer club knows 1 of the first things they teach the goal keepers is to always cover your corner post when the player is advancing on your left or right side.. Bendik always let's in those soft near post goals. I still think Neither of them is should be the number 1 keeper next season.

Do we let Roberts or Bono have a chance next season? How are they progressing this year?

Bishop Blaize
06-12-2015, 06:47 AM
didn't vote myself, neither keeper inspires me too much to be honest. You can play either one as far as I am concerned and not much will change as they are pretty much at a similiar level overall.
As many have already said both servicable MLS type keepers

Carts
06-12-2015, 11:04 AM
I look at it this way...

Konopka brings in $60k - Bendik brings in $140k...

IMO, the number-1 goal for TimB right now should be to remove that $200k from the cap - invest it in one excellent keeper, and have Roberts and his $35k on the bench...

For reference Rimando brings in $225k, Tally Hall $200k, Sean Johnson $250k...

We have far too much talent & money invested in the field-10 to have points slip away from bad decisions or bad goals from our last line of defence...

Of note: I think Konopka has been an excellent performance-per-salary player back there. Taking up only $60k and performing the way he has is admirable... But in this league with the cap, we can't afford to have $140k sitting on the bench, or $200k total tied up in mid-table-level keeping...

ryan
06-12-2015, 11:17 AM
I look at it this way...

Konopka brings in $60k - Bendik brings in $140k...

IMO, the number-1 goal for TimB right now should be to remove that $200k from the cap - invest it in one excellent keeper, and have Roberts and his $35k on the bench...

For reference Rimando brings in $225k, Tally Hall $200k, Sean Johnson $250k...

We have far too much talent & money invested in the field-10 to have points slip away from bad decisions or bad goals from our last line of defence...

Of note: I think Konopka has been an excellent performance-per-salary player back there. Taking up only $60k and performing the way he has is admirable... But in this league with the cap, we can't afford to have $140k sitting on the bench, or $200k total tied up in mid-table-level keeping...

Plenty of 100-150K players of starting quality across MLS. To have that on the bench is just not wise.

Carts
06-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Plenty of 100-150K players of starting quality across MLS. To have that on the bench is just not wise.

Exactly!

Globetrotter
06-12-2015, 11:39 AM
As Justin Trudeau would say "the costs will sort themselves". We don't need to do a cost analysis benefit between the two - though it's nice to see what options could be.

We're deciding on who can be a wall at the back end, and bring confidence to the front 10 to go out and play their game - not whether the keeper can afford to buy regular carrots or the more expensive organic type.

habstfc
06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
People look too much at spectacular saves and forget all the other little things that make a keeper complete. Command of your box, communication with the back line, distribution.... This is where a lot of guys in this league fall short.

But I think this topic gets too much burn. LA won a cup with josh Saunders and he's pretty damn average.

I agree. 90% of what a keeper does are those things. Only about 10% is about making saves. Konopka is clearly better than Bendik at the 90%.

Richard
06-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Both are average keepers but in MLS you don't need a very good keeper to win, as long as the defense doesn't hang the keepers out to dry every game we should be fine with either.

ag futbol
06-14-2015, 02:52 PM
If you want to look at the low hanging fruit salary wise it's Caldwell and findley. Keeper wise, we're about where we need to be. I wouldn't be eager to replace bednik mid season with another guy to save a small amount of cap space.

That's a low reward, high risk type of move.

molenshtain
06-14-2015, 04:28 PM
as a keeper my whole life, I was a lot more like Bendik but I always tried to be a lot more like Konopka. People here give Konopka shit for fumbling a cross now and again, but he's way, way more aggressive on crosses and corners than Bendik is, so he's more likely to get one wrong now and again.

I've been a defender of Bendik throughout his time here. Mostly I was defending the notion that he is in fact a serviceable MLS starting keeper, despite his faults. He rarely makes obviously bad decisions, is pretty consistent, has good hands and can make some saves.

But we've never, ever been good defensively with Bendik. Some of that definitely had to do with the guys in front of him and with Nelsen. But he's really, really conservative on crosses, is slow off his line and is prone to being one or two steps off where he should be positionally. He's also short, and not particularly athletic.

Konopka on the other hand is far more willing to roll it out short after when he has it. His distribution stats might look worse than Bendik but that's probably because he's only sending it long in certain situations when it's harder for us to win aerial balls. Like I said, Konopka can make a gaffe coming out for crosses sometimes, but that's because he comes out for so many and rarely makes the wrong decision. He's a better decision maker than Bendik, he's better postionally than Bendik, he commands the box better than Bendik, he handles aerial balls way better than Bendik, he's taller than Bendik, He's probably a better shot stopper than Bendik, and he has better footwork than Bendik. He's probably slower than Bendik coming off his line (which is impressive in it's own right) but we play a deep line so he's rarely forced into uncomfortable positions.

At the end of the day, Bendik does little detriment to the team but he doesn't really add anything. From what I've seen, Konopka is pretty slow and can fumble a ball now and again, but he adds way more at that position than Bendik does. I really like Bendik. He seems like a really good guy around the locker room. But Konopka should keep getting starts for now. Our defense has never really looked better than right now, and that partially has to do with Konopka playing to his strength's and working in sync with our back four.

If Bendik was on less money I wouldn't mind keeping him long-term as a backup, but if Konopka keeps this up we might have to think about moving Bendik to get that cap space. So is the nature of the league. There are teams in this league who would probably take on Bendik in a salary dump type trade. If we're trying to add key pieces in the summer I think it's something the FO is going to have to consider. We have two young back ups who are highly regarded and should be fighting for at least a #2 spot on an MLS team at this point.

Areathrasher
06-15-2015, 01:23 PM
There isn't really a trade market for Goalies at the moment. SKC is the only team I can think of that's probably looking/wanting one.

How long is Bendiks contract?

molenshtain
06-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Doubt it's SKC, they love Melia and Kempin.

I can't think of anywhere he could go specifically but that could be subject to change by august.

OgtheDim
06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Neither of the young guys down in TFCII are good enough to be in there if the starting keeper goes down/gets a red.

Keep Konopka and Bendik around until 2017.

jabbronies
06-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Both are good keepers.
Konopka at the moment is doing well. I say keep him in there until he starts to really show signs of weakness greater than Bendik.

Scarlet
06-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Konopka stays until we lose. Then put Bernier back in.g:D

Wrong sport mate :P

trane
06-16-2015, 09:43 AM
as a keeper my whole life, I was a lot more like Bendik but I always tried to be a lot more like Konopka. People here give Konopka shit for fumbling a cross now and again, but he's way, way more aggressive on crosses and corners than Bendik is, so he's more likely to get one wrong now and again.

I've been a defender of Bendik throughout his time here. Mostly I was defending the notion that he is in fact a serviceable MLS starting keeper, despite his faults. He rarely makes obviously bad decisions, is pretty consistent, has good hands and can make some saves.

But we've never, ever been good defensively with Bendik. Some of that definitely had to do with the guys in front of him and with Nelsen. But he's really, really conservative on crosses, is slow off his line and is prone to being one or two steps off where he should be positionally. He's also short, and not particularly athletic.

Konopka on the other hand is far more willing to roll it out short after when he has it. His distribution stats might look worse than Bendik but that's probably because he's only sending it long in certain situations when it's harder for us to win aerial balls. Like I said, Konopka can make a gaffe coming out for crosses sometimes, but that's because he comes out for so many and rarely makes the wrong decision. He's a better decision maker than Bendik, he's better postionally than Bendik, he commands the box better than Bendik, he handles aerial balls way better than Bendik, he's taller than Bendik, He's probably a better shot stopper than Bendik, and he has better footwork than Bendik. He's probably slower than Bendik coming off his line (which is impressive in it's own right) but we play a deep line so he's rarely forced into uncomfortable positions.

At the end of the day, Bendik does little detriment to the team but he doesn't really add anything. From what I've seen, Konopka is pretty slow and can fumble a ball now and again, but he adds way more at that position than Bendik does. I really like Bendik. He seems like a really good guy around the locker room. But Konopka should keep getting starts for now. Our defense has never really looked better than right now, and that partially has to do with Konopka playing to his strength's and working in sync with our back four.

If Bendik was on less money I wouldn't mind keeping him long-term as a backup, but if Konopka keeps this up we might have to think about moving Bendik to get that cap space. So is the nature of the league. There are teams in this league who would probably take on Bendik in a salary dump type trade. If we're trying to add key pieces in the summer I think it's something the FO is going to have to consider. We have two young back ups who are highly regarded and should be fighting for at least a #2 spot on an MLS team at this point.

You put my thoughts into words, as keeper is one position I rely have a hard time analyzing. But you spelled out exactly why I like Konopka, and what I simply labeled as confidence. While I do not want my keeper to be irresponsibly aggressive, I want him to take charge on crosses, corners and such. As a cb I will put my body on the attacking player and create room for the keeper to go up and get the ball, I hate when the keeper hesitates, and lets the ball go through or down in the crowd, were then I or another defender has too leave the man I am marking and get to the ball, giving an opportunity to the opponents where it could have easily been taking away by the keeper. this is why I like what I see from Konopka, and with touches he will fumbles less and perhaps become more judicious.

boozilla
06-18-2015, 12:59 AM
Wrong sport mate :P
Welcome to the forums Scarlet :P. There are cool emoticons available here.
Some signify jokes, however bad. g:D

T-boy
06-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Until Konopka makes a big error or needs a rest there is no need to change him. Bendik will have to wait for his place back in the team.

bimmer
06-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Until Konopka makes a big error or needs a rest there is no need to change him. Bendik will have to wait for his place back in the team.

Well he did make two HUGE errors against DC, we just got fortunate with the offside call on the first and DC not being able to capitalize on the second.

Lennon
06-18-2015, 01:28 PM
American Soccer Analysis say Konopka (http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2015/6/9/save-percentage-vs-goals-against-average-battle-royal). The only big knock on his game is his crazy aggressiveness in coming out for crosses (which he's been lucky to get away with). He just needs to chill out a bit.

Globetrotter
06-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Anyone prepared to change their vote? On the second goal, the crowd moaned as soon as they saw Konopka send a weak pass through the box to Zavaletta. Turnover - that play should never had started. Not surprised by his decision making though. The defense didn't help, but that goal was on Konopka.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Anyone prepared to change their vote? On the second goal, the crowd moaned as soon as they saw Konopka send a weak pass through the box to Zavaletta. Turnover - that play should never had started. Not surprised by his decision making though. The defense didn't help, but that goal was on Konopka.

That's not necessary for the majority in here. It would be consistent for many in here to say they'd give Bendik the start now that K had a bad game.

ag futbol
06-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Like many plays in MLS, goals are the result of multiple mistakes as opposed to simply one in isolation. Sure it wasn't the best pass but Zavaletta should have cut his losses and put his foot through it, end of story. That weak attempted pass upfield by Zavaletta was the most criminal mistake in that sequence. At that point the nearest player should have taken a tactical foul and stopped the play (but that didn't happen either).

But people focus too much on these individual moments. Zavaletta plays a very quiet efficient game, which is positive. The bigger thing on the day is we scored no goals... At home.

trane
06-21-2015, 10:13 PM
^ The majority on here tends to blame thinks on individuals and individuals mistakes,which is only part of the big picture.

boozilla
06-25-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm liking Konopka more and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkP_WEAC7cE

shwade
07-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm liking Konopka more and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkP_WEAC7cE

He didn't even take a photo with the guy after drinking half his over priced beer!

Fort York Redcoat
07-04-2015, 05:59 AM
He didn't even take a photo with the guy after drinking half his over priced beer!

I'd rather have the beer story than a pic, myself.

This is now part of the Konopka, TFC story.

JuliquE
07-04-2015, 07:49 AM
I'd rather have the beer story than a pic, myself.

This is now part of the Konopka, TFC story.
Amen. Not every situation in life has to be a photo-op, despite recent trends.

They'd likely come to something of an agreement, when Konopka was idle or fetching a ball kicked into touch, that he'd have a sip, should we come out on top—and he kept up his end of the bargain.

Konopka probably just didn't want to take things too far, lest it be made into a bigger deal and possibly be seen as a distraction, with his "antics" potentially threatening his tenuous starting role; not a stretch to imagine that some might think pounding a beer, on the pitch, should be reserved for when we've won something of particular significance, so I can understand his wanting to keep it a bit low-key.

Abou Sky
07-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Konopka has not won us a game.

Bendik is better between the pipes for sure, distribution etc, same, same.

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Does anyone think Bendik would've made the difference last night?

Penalty save, dealing with Morrows back pass. That's 2 right there.

Ultra & Proud
07-05-2015, 09:48 AM

No. This result was inevitable. It would have been the same. Maybe Bendik stops that back pass one because he never leaves his line but still, in the end, we lose either way.

ag futbol
07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Would have made zero difference. Bednik would have sat in his six yard box on the back pass and Keane finding space to fire that one in would have been a formality. Knopka made the only play you can make as a keeper in that situation and the one coaches will tell you to: go out and challenge immediately.

notthesun
07-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Konopka also saved us from a bad Perquis back pass, by the way. Morrow's mistake was just catastrophic, the only way to get away with that is if Keane horribly messes up.

Nodoubtguy
07-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Hard to be on your game when your left high and dry by your D

reggie
07-05-2015, 11:42 AM
they are both average ...we need a better keeper next season.

CBTFC
07-05-2015, 09:26 PM
they are both average ...we need a better keeper next season.

I've said it before, but surely with the funds/budget we have we could lure a decent EPL or bundesliga backup keeper to come here and give him the starts and playing time he wants/deserves.

OgtheDim
07-06-2015, 06:18 AM
I've said it before, but surely with the funds/budget we have we could lure a decent EPL or bundesliga backup keeper to come here and give him the starts and playing time he wants/deserves.

They would not come here for the 150K or so a keeper is worth in this league. Anything more is not worth the % of the total cap.

bimmer
07-06-2015, 08:50 AM
They would not come here for the 150K or so a keeper is worth in this league. Anything more is not worth the % of the total cap.

Totally agreed. There is absolutely no reason to spend exorbitant amounts for a foreign keeper in MLS... there are better ways to use that money imo. The ~200K combined for Bendik and Konopka we're paying now is what I'd be comfortable with going forward. $100-200K for 1st choice and the league minimum for 2nd choice.

Ultra & Proud
07-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Cost is too high for those leagues. Other teams have hit up Scandinavia for GKs and they have had success. If you want to look for an international GK then I'd look there.

bimmer
07-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Is anyone still on team Konopka after today? Terrible decision making to give up the penalty and gave up two goals that arguably should have been saved. He's slow (both in movement and reaction time) and constantly makes poor decisions. Bendik's no world beater but he is at least an average MLS keeper. Konopka is a capable backup and nothing more.

Blixa
07-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Agreed. After today I'd like to see Konopka on the bench.

Globetrotter
07-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Baloney. Bologna.

I agree with what this guy said. Konopka shouldn't be starting in MLS.

molenshtain
07-15-2015, 01:01 PM
What the fuck did Konopka just get suspended for?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/15/mls-disciplinary-committee-suspends-toronto-fc-goalkeeper-chris-konopka-one-

Jack
07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
What the fuck did Konopka just get suspended for?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/15/mls-disciplinary-committee-suspends-toronto-fc-goalkeeper-chris-konopka-one-
Amazing how fucked this league is with its discipline.

ryan
07-15-2015, 01:20 PM
This suspension is nothing more than were a Canadian club and they are precious New York City who must become a league titan.

pdubs
07-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Did Villa get fined for diving? Doesn't seemed like he did. Hmm.

Old record but Canadian teams do seem to get the brunt end of these. I await the day when its an all Canadian MLS final with the americanos fliping out lol.

Glad we get to see if Bendik can offer anything to get his job back. He has the chance.

dupont
07-15-2015, 02:07 PM
What the heck? The league never seems to miss anything that TFC players do... I wish they were as thorough with the other teams. Didn't NYCFC player Jacobson give Perquis a vicious elbow to the back of the head a few weeks ago? I don't remember any punishment handed out for that one.

pdubs
07-15-2015, 02:11 PM
What the heck? The league never seems to miss anything that TFC players do... I wish they were as thorough with the other teams. Didn't NYCFC player Jacobson give Perquis a vicious elbow to the back of the head a few weeks ago? I don't remember any punishment handed out for that one.

Yep. Here it a lot over the league tho. The thing we all demand is consistency. Seems like they pick and choose (and canadian teams seem to get hit a lot) with no real method or standard. Standards, method, rules? Oh wait, it's just MLS.

molenshtain
07-15-2015, 02:12 PM

Or boswell stepping on Seba's achilles a week later. I'm sure there's been more.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 02:46 PM
This league is pathetic

richardtfc
07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
For me, Konopka has been amazing. He is everything that this team needed. Everything that Bendik didn't provide. He doesn't make dumb mistakes and saves everything he is supposed to and more. Plus he brings that confidence this team needs. Bendik isn't confident, and is too comfortable. Every time a goal is conceded, he looks for the first person to blame.

Konopka is ranked as the 6th best player on this team (after DPs and fake DPs Cheyrou & Perquis -- http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/4186). He deserves the start, what do you guys think?

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
That NYCFC game wasn't that long ago. Konopka has done a job while Bendik was away but it was clearly Bendiks time to come back. His effort wasn't his best against Philly but I'd still give Bendik tonights game.

ronzilla
07-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Bendik was never really tested vs philly and the real test is tonight if he gets the start.

Pint
07-25-2015, 03:10 PM
After taking in last nights TFC II game, i would be very happy to see Q get a shot soon. The kid has done nothing but be awesome at the USL level.

notthesun
08-12-2015, 11:22 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/jock-math-should-bendik-be-starting-r5394

Worthy bump to this thread. Bendik's numbers are not good.

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/jock-math-should-bendik-be-starting-r5394

Worthy bump to this thread. Bendik's numbers are not good.

The metrics are even worse than I thought.

I honestly don't know what Bez and Vanney are thinking. Something has gotta give, and soon.

Areathrasher
08-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Looking at the link to the analysis site in Rollins blog, Bendik has been consistently towards the bottom of their metrics since 2013.

OgtheDim
08-12-2015, 12:17 PM
OWCH!

pdubs
08-12-2015, 12:27 PM
The metrics are even worse than I thought.

I honestly don't know what Bez and Vanney are thinking. Something has gotta give, and soon.

Could it be along the lines since we are paying him 3 times the amount of our backup that they feel the need to play him? idk. I don't hate Bendik and Konopka is not our savior. However riding the in form keeper makes sense and Bendik is not it.

I hope what is clear to management is in the Winter window we need to look at an upgrade.

blindbaby
08-12-2015, 06:00 PM
This is damning. Whereas Konopka has PREVENTED 2.73 goals that, statistically speaking, should have gone in, Bendik has ALLOWED 5.11 more goals than should be expected based on league wide tracking of shot quality. Basically, xGA tells us that Bendik has screwed up 5 times. That likely represents at least a couple dropped points.

That's just killer. There's no metric for it, but it has to really deflate the moral of the team (short and long term) when you're constantly seeing bad and questionable goals going in.

ronzilla
08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Konopka has also let in a few stinkers.

The only difference between Konopka and Bendik is one has a beard and the other does not.

Pick your own poison.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Konopka has also let in a few stinkers.

The only difference between Konopka and Bendik is one has a beard and the other does not.

Pick your own poison.

I'd pick the poison that actually doesn't kill you in this case. Konopka may cause a bit of hurt here and there but Bendik is like drinking a jug of Draino.

Shway
08-12-2015, 11:29 PM
I pick the "Free Quilly" option.

Remember the days when being a Canadian used to be a trump card thrown around here? i.e Reda, Roselund, Harsme, Zava-effing-rise
I'm bringing it back out and want Quilly the homegrown to get his shot. The next two pair of gloves....well are just a pair of gloves who haven't improved over the past 30 games.

Yohan
08-13-2015, 01:23 AM
I think we can do well enough Bendik or Konopka. But if you are going to make a deep MLS Cup run, you do need someone in top 5 GK category. And those guys will usually cost too much to pry. I don't know if anyone solid is available in Jan transfer window.

I do think TFC can get Nick Rimando from RSL. RSL is in middle of an implosion after Kreis and Lagerwey era whether they want to admit it or not. They will be rebuilding.
Rimando at 350K? is too much of a luxury, esp he's 36 now and they have basically another starter in Jeff Attinella at far cheaper cap hit. Throw in a player we can afford to lose (probably Warner or Delgado, or someone of similar calibre) and some allocation cash and maybe a draft pick.
Rimando is slowly getting there with age, but he's still got cat like reflexes and he'll command the defence far better than most MLS GKs. (Rimando'd is a verb for when a GK makes a ridiculous save out of nowhere)

I also think Clint Irwin of Rapids might be available, just because Rapids FO is terrible and makes a lot of poor decisions.

Initial B
08-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Perhaps they should look to Europe for a decent keeper, maybe the french league to help with the communication between the defence. Peiser is doing really well with the Ottawa Fury at this point, I think he should be given a shot at MLS.

Areathrasher
08-13-2015, 07:23 AM
I also think Clint Irwin of Rapids might be available, just because Rapids FO is terrible and makes a lot of poor decisions.

That's exactly who i'd target.

Or McMath who is on loan there from Philly and doesn't have a future there.

Oldtimer
08-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Perhaps they should look to Europe for a decent keeper, maybe the french league to help with the communication between the defence. Peiser is doing really well with the Ottawa Fury at this point, I think he should be given a shot at MLS.

That's exactly who i'd target.

Or McMath who is on loan there from Philly and doesn't have a future there.

Please keep this thread on topic, it's about which of the GKs that we currently have should be between the pipes. My fellow moderator also needs to be reminded of this. :) Thanks!

jabbronies
08-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Reality is, neither are that great. All this fuss about Bendik is misplaced - our defence has been horrible. That is where the focus should be.

Doesn't matter who's been in net this season, that back 4 has let the team on a consistent basis.

pekduck
08-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Reality is, neither are that great. All this fuss about Bendik is misplaced - our defence has been horrible. That is where the focus should be.

Doesn't matter who's been in net this season, that back 4 has let the team on a consistent basis.

xGA is important. Defense is horrible, that's a constant value, therefore statistically speaking, you are expected to give up 15 goals as opposed to other teams where you are expected to give up 5 goals. However, of the 15 goals you are expected to give up, Bendik will give up 5.2 more and Konopka will give up 2.7 less. Now you are looking at a choice of giving up 20 goals or give up 12 goals. You tell me which one you want given the defense is bad.

T-boy
08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
TFC fans really do love to place all the blame on one player. If we replaced Bendik, next would be Kantari isn't up to it. Then it will be another player, and so on.

Realistically until TFC go through a whole season without losing a game there will always be "if we replace that ONE player everything will be different". But, in the end of the day, its a team game and the whole team are to blame if we lose, not one individual player.

pekduck
08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
TFC fans really do love to place all the blame on one player. If we replaced Bendik, next would be Kantari isn't up to it. Then it will be another player, and so on.

Realistically until TFC go through a whole season without losing a game there will always be "if we replace that ONE player everything will be different". But, in the end of the day, its a team game and the whole team are to blame if we lose, not one individual player.

quite a bit of generalization in your post but i see your point.

however, that's how any team/organization grow.

always have your best available 11 out at each game to maximize what you can get
always identify the weakest link to upgrade (training, coaching, or straight up replacement)
repeat ad infinitum

it's never ONE player solve everything, it's always ONE improvement at a time

Shway
08-13-2015, 10:31 AM

the back four hasn't been that great, but the general keeping like control in the box on set plays, shot stopping, GK positioning being vocal, distribution hasn't been any better.....

theres attributes to a goalie that still have to shine regardless of your defence, and I'm leaning more on the GKs than our back line.

Alixir
08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Its not so much the fact that our defense is balls and more goals scored against as a result....its the quality of the goals that are scored on him.

Globetrotter
08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
They've made their temporary choice:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/08/tfc-loan-konopka-and-hagglund-toronto-fc-ii

OgtheDim
08-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Speculation is that was 45 minutes to give Konopka some time before Saturday.

Oldtimer
08-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Speculation is that was 45 minutes to give Konopka some time before Saturday.

... and that was correct. He wasn't really tested against Orlando, it will be interesting to see how he does against MTL.