PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Giovinco - Best player in MLS history - Goals/Highlights

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2016, 12:40 AM
Fastest player to 50 points in MLS history, 43 games 5 quicker than Robbie Keane after his two goals vs. Vancouver !! No doubt one of the MLS best, on the road to being a great !!

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Golden Boot leader with 8.

All-time he passes Jozy and Plata and now tied with Alecko Eskandarian. Chasing Mo Johnston.

notthesun
05-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Valeri could still have a huge day today, but I'm likely going to pay for breaking my own MLS Fantasy rule: never not captain Giovinco. I'm disappointed in myself.

ronzilla
05-15-2016, 10:21 AM
He has also passed DeRo and is now all time leader in goals.

Golden Boot leader with 8.

All-time he passes Jozy and Plata and now tied with Alecko Eskandarian. Chasing Mo Johnston.

Want to hear a better joke? Jozy scored a goal.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Want to hear a better joke? Jozy scored a goal.

meh. Goals are goals.

notthesun
05-15-2016, 07:17 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/731940425569828864

Seba took in the Raps Game 7 win today. I love that they make sure to give him a scoreboard shoutout every time he's in the building.

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2016, 08:31 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/731940425569828864

Seba took in the Raps Game 7 win today. I love that they make sure to give him a scoreboard shoutout every time he's in the building.

Can not agree with you more, Seba is truly something special !! Looking forward to him continuing on this amazing path, the sky is the limit and beyond !!!

Initial B
05-16-2016, 06:30 AM
I'd love to get a picture of Seba next to JV. I don't know if you'd be able to fit them both in the frame. :D

ronzilla
05-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Giovinco excluded from Italy's pre-Euro 2016 training camp

http://www.thescore.com/seri/news/1028131

The final list is announced May 25.

Jack
05-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Giovinco excluded from Italy's pre-Euro 2016 training camp

http://www.thescore.com/seri/news/1028131

The final list is announced May 25.
This is both happy and sad news. Happy because I don't want to lose him for a month, but sad for him to not make the team.

notthesun
05-16-2016, 06:36 PM
This is both happy and sad news. Happy because I don't want to lose him for a month, but sad for him to not make the team.

Not quite done yet. That camp includes a large number of players with no hope of making the Euros, so he could still be in consideration. Reports out of Italy right now though are that he's unlikely to make it.

trane
05-16-2016, 07:05 PM

I have a hard time believing he will not make it. There are not too many Italian forwards that are looking rely good at this moment, a bunch of good ones but no world class player, at least no one with a world class season . He is being followed by the Italian media so the media and the fans would not be critical.

Bobo
05-16-2016, 09:11 PM
This list doesn't include players who are busy featuring for their club teams. (AC Milan vs Juve in Coppa Italia final - Bonucci is suspended) Giovinco could easily be in that category as well. In fact, in the interest of fairness, I'd bet that is the case. Conte is just calling anybody to fill the ranks, there is a 0% chance of Conte prefering Fabio F*cking Borini over Seba.

jloome
05-16-2016, 09:14 PM
I have a hard time believing he will not make it. There are not too many Italian forwards that are looking rely good at this moment, a bunch of good ones but no world class player, at least no one with a world class season . He is being followed by the Italian media so the media and the fans would not be critical.

Maybe Conte wants him at Chelsea and is leaving him out to pressure him to return to Europe. He can justify it any number of ways.

69Chevy396
05-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Maybe Conte wants him at Chelsea and is leaving him out to pressure him to return to Europe. He can justify it any number of ways.
The Italian team is a mess. I saw them in Rome, the night Giovinco came on as a sub, and he played brilliantly. But, the rest of the team did little to impress me. One gets the feeling adding Giovinco to the squad will make little difference on a team that will struggle to make it out of the first round. I don't think he will be as upset by the rejection as many believe.

TFC1154ever
05-17-2016, 12:25 AM
Conte is a fucken joke and one of the more overrated coaches in Europe. If he doesn't bring Giovinco, and even considers Borini, then he can literally go fuck him. Can't wait till this clown is off the bench after the Euro's.

Bobo
05-17-2016, 06:12 AM
Conte is a fucken joke and one of the more overrated coaches in Europe. If he doesn't bring Giovinco, and even considers Borini, then he can literally go fuck him. Can't wait till this clown is off the bench after the Euro's.

Do you think Conte is preferring TonellI and Ogbonna to Chiellini and Barzagli too? Take a deep breath. That article is misleading, all Conte said was that he won't introduce any new players into the fold, he didn't say anything about non-starters. This works in Giovinco's favour, not against him. Conte is well-aware of the MLS schedule, we should be thanking him for giving TFC a chance to get a result this weekend.

TFC1154ever
05-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Do you think Conte is preferring TonellI and Ogbonna to Chiellini and Barzagli too? Take a deep breath. That article is misleading, all Conte said was that he won't introduce any new players into the fold, he didn't say anything about non-starters. This works in Giovinco's favour, not against him. Conte is well-aware of the MLS schedule, we should be thanking him for giving TFC a chance to get a result this weekend.

None of those guys can play in these friendlies cause of the Coppa Italia though. What's the point of bringing in guys that should be no where near the national team? I'm a huge Lazio fan, Cataldi should be no where near this team either. This should of been a chance for fringe players to make their last stake of making the national team. It's even a joke that Giovinco is a fringe player on this team. Still doesn't chance my mind about Conte. He's a motivator, a players coach, but he is one of the worst tacticians of any of the "Big" coaches. Showed on Juve, will show it's head in France.

Bobo
05-18-2016, 06:54 AM
None of those guys can play in these friendlies cause of the Coppa Italia though. What's the point of bringing in guys that should be no where near the national team? I'm a huge Lazio fan, Cataldi should be no where near this team either. This should of been a chance for fringe players to make their last stake of making the national team.

Precisely my point. They aren't at a rather meaningless retreat because they have duties with their club. (Juve have since denied Bonucci's attendance so he can be with the squad for the Coppa final) People have confused this roster with a "final" provisional Euro squad. Conte is going about things his own way.

There is NO chance some of these guys make the cut. He said he's not introducing new players for the Euros. (granted this was before a couple of injuries) But if there's space to have them show up for a retreat due to all the absentees, why not offer the kids the experience? People are making mountains out of molehills.

It's only circumstance has prevented Seba from taking a more prominent role in the setup. He was there in March, missed the call up before due to injury and missed the one after due to preseason fitness, at which point Conte addressed him by name as someone not there who he is very much still considering. Since then Seba has continued to dominate. For these reasons I would be extremely surprised not to see Seba make the final cut.

khso11
07-14-2016, 04:54 AM
Congrats to Seba on winning the 2016 ESPY Best MLS Player Award!!!

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2912558/2016-espys-cristiano-ronaldo-abby-wambach-sebastian-giovinco-all-winners
(http://www.espnfc.us/story/2912558/2016-espys-cristiano-ronaldo-abby-wambach-sebastian-giovinco-all-winners)
http://www.wakingthered.com/2016/7/14/12186004/sebastian-giovinco-wins-espy-best-2016-mls-player-espys-2016-recap-award-show

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Congrats to Seba on winning the 2016 ESPYS Best MLS Player Award!!!

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2912558/2016-espys-cristiano-ronaldo-abby-wambach-sebastian-giovinco-all-winners

So...he was there? Instead of stormy Columbus? Hrm.

Areathrasher
07-14-2016, 12:23 PM
So...he was there? Instead of stormy Columbus? Hrm.

No, he wasn't

Sebastian Giovinco captured the 2016 ESPY (http://www.espnfc.us/story/2912558/2016-espys-cristiano-ronaldo-abby-wambach-sebastian-giovinco-all-winners) for best MLS player on Wednesday night at the awards ceremony in Los Angeles.
Giovinco did not attend the ceremony and remained in Toronto ahead of joining the squad in San Jose for their match against the Earthquakes on Saturday night.

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2016, 12:38 PM
No, he wasn't

Thank you

Yohan
07-18-2016, 09:52 AM
http://www.football-italia.net/87541/giovinco-i-still-want-azzurri

Read into this what you will

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2016, 10:19 AM
With that brace Seba is backin 3rd spot for the golden boot! Relief!

ronzilla
07-24-2016, 10:51 AM
I think you mean hat trick, not brace but it's be great to see him in the race again.

paul-collins
07-24-2016, 11:34 AM
http://www.football-italia.net/87541/giovinco-i-still-want-azzurri

Read into this what you will
Almost sounds like he'd prefer to raise the profile of MLS to get back into Azzuri. Encouraging countrymen to check it out?

molenshtain
07-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Also now our all-time leading goalscorer across all competitions, right? think I saw that on Twitter last night. He has 35 now, topping De Ro's 33.

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2016, 11:50 AM
I think you mean hat trick, not brace but it's be great to see him in the race again.

Correct, yes, hat trick! I was overwhelmed with the free kicks! :scarf:

Next ex-Red Seba's chasing all time is Ryan Johnson. (Who's back in America btw at Rayo OKC that team in the NASL we played in preseason once.)

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Also now our all-time leading goalscorer across all competitions, right? think I saw that on Twitter last night. He has 35 now, topping De Ro's 33.

Amazing. What a way to shake a slump.

Joe Kool
07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
So I find it interesting that aside from his picture in the advertisements for the All Star Game there has been no mention of Seba on the MLS site stories. The league's MVP, who broke some records in the league last year and still causing havoc this year, is hardly mentioned if at all. Lots of talk about Drogba, Villa, Pirlo, Dempsey, Piatti, Kaka in particular. Some Arsenal players even talking about who they are looking forward to playing against and none mention Seba. You would think Giovinco would get some mention somewhere on the MLS site. Not that I really care too much. Just find it interesting where the focus is.

mistercorporate
07-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Maybe theyre keeping their big gun on the down low..

Ultra & Proud
07-28-2016, 10:50 AM
So I find it interesting that aside from his picture in the advertisements for the All Star Game there has been no mention of Seba on the MLS site stories. The league's MVP, who broke some records in the league last year and still causing havoc this year, is hardly mentioned if at all. Lots of talk about Drogba, Villa, Pirlo, Dempsey, Piatti, Kaka in particular. Some Arsenal players even talking about who they are looking forward to playing against and none mention Seba. You would think Giovinco would get some mention somewhere on the MLS site. Not that I really care too much. Just find it interesting where the focus is.

He did a one on one video with MLS yesterday about his motivation, this season so far, and if the Italy snub has attributed to his hat trick last weekend.

backbeat
07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
He did a one on one video with MLS yesterday about his motivation, this season so far, and if the Italy snub has attributed to his hat trick last weekend.

do you have a link? - i can't find that anywhere on their site

Fort York Redcoat
08-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Seba now in second for the golden boot behind Villa!

notthesun
08-03-2016, 03:15 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/03/2016-mls-mvp-race-whos-leading-pack-three-months-go

Giovinco grabs the top spot in the MVP race according to mlssoccer.com editors.

Oldtimer
08-03-2016, 05:04 PM

The focus tends to be on former EPL players, Pirlo being an exception because of his legendary status on the Italian National team.

Yohan
08-06-2016, 01:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOdxEwtwEw

ronzilla
08-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Hat trick: 2 of 3 goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8UtE4EX7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4_-_cq8x4

Fort York Redcoat
08-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Another hat trick and now he leads the golden boot race by 2 goals. What a player.

All time he's passed Ryan Johnson and is chasing Robbie Findley. Ex-TFCers obviously. There are bigger MLS names he's in Amongst.:hump:

flatpicker
08-07-2016, 12:13 PM
I find it even more impressive that he leads the race after going scoreless for such a long stretch.

flatpicker
08-07-2016, 12:20 PM
btw... how many goals did he have by this point last season?

notthesun
08-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Through TFC's first 23 games last year he had 16 goals and 11 assists. Through 23 now, he's sitting on 15 goals and 10 assists (though he missed the Columbus game, so he's played 22 so far).

ronzilla
08-07-2016, 12:29 PM

17 G
12 A

Doesn't seem too far off with 15 G 10 A this year.

flatpicker
08-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Through TFC's first 23 games last year he had 16 goals and 11 assists. Through 23 now, he's sitting on 15 goals and 10 assists (though he missed the Columbus game, so he's played 22 so far).

17 G
12 A

Doesn't seem too far off with 15 G 10 A this year.

Well, that's not too shabby.
He certainly has a good chance of topping last year, at his current rate.
(not that I expect him to keep scoring hat tricks every week)

ronzilla
08-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Sorry my bad, notthesun is correct, it's 16 - 11

flatpicker
08-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Sorry my bad, notthesun is correct, it's 16 - 11

Either way, he was awesome then and he's awesome now!

OgtheDim
08-09-2016, 09:01 AM
LOL

Seba's two goals agaisnt NER are both in the GOTW bracket and both losing to less then better shots, including one by a guy who will never make a shot like that again in his life.

Portland do like to stuff ballot boxes, eh?

Ivy
08-09-2016, 03:52 PM
I stopped paying attention to fan voted polls a while ago.

jloome
08-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Either way, he was awesome then and he's awesome now!

If MLS can keep him until he's 34 and he keep up the 20-goal seasons, he'll probably be the all-time leading scorer in the league.

ensco
08-09-2016, 09:16 PM
If MLS can keep him until he's 34 and he keep up the 20-goal seasons, he'll probably be the all-time leading scorer in the league.

Guys like Seba don't stay long enough to become alltime leading scorers. He won't be here after his current contract expires.

He is the MLS supernova.

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Guys like Seba don't stay long enough to become alltime leading scorers. He won't be here after his current contract expires.

He is the MLS supernova.

You never know. If TFC is prepared to extend his contract at a comparable salary, it's possible that he stays. I don't think any European clubs would come close to matching that type of offer.

ensco
08-09-2016, 09:36 PM
You never know. If TFC is prepared to extend his contract at a comparable salary, it's possible that he stays. I don't think any European clubs would come close to matching that type of offer.

You do never know. But with Leiweke gone, and the likelihood that he will want to finish his career in Italy, having made his big score, I stand by my prediction.

Yohan
08-09-2016, 10:22 PM
You do never know. But with Leiweke gone, and the likelihood that he will want to finish his career in Italy, having made his big score, I stand by my prediction.
Giovinco is on a 5 yr deal and he'll be 33 at the end of his contract with TFC. Where, more importantly, why would he want to go back to Italy where he'll make less money and playing for scraps for mins in Serie A, if he actually gets any takers? He doesn't have a club that he's very fond of other than Juventus and I doubt Juve would want Giovinco back at 33.
Barring some crazy things, Giovinco would likely get offered a contract extension somewhere around 4 mil in MLS at 33. I see Giovinco going to Asia or Middle East more than back to Italy.

ensco
08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Giovinco is on a 5 yr deal and he'll be 33 at the end of his contract with TFC. Where, more importantly, why would he want to go back to Italy where he'll make less money and playing for scraps for mins in Serie A, if he actually gets any takers? He doesn't have a club that he's very fond of other than Juventus and I doubt Juve would want Giovinco back at 33.
Barring some crazy things, Giovinco would likely get offered a contract extension somewhere around 4 mil in MLS at 33. I see Giovinco going to Asia or Middle East more than back to Italy.

He's on a 4 year deal and he'll be 31 and a half in the summer of 2018, when he'll be midway through his final year here, and will be very likely to leave, imho.

Some media outlets reported it as five years at the time, but that got cleared up on these boards at some point.

Italy has a long history of older strikers playing into their mid 30s for decent teams (Toni, Klose, Del Piero, di Natale, offf the top of my head), he has a shot at that endgame.

Ivy
08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
If Seba leaves prior to his contract ending, TFC will make a really good buck from the transfer fee. Considering we picked him up for 0$.
I think it'll all go down this offseason - whether he stays or goes.

Richard
08-09-2016, 10:33 PM
I know the EPL has went completely bonkers the past year so its not out of the question if he gets a legitimate offer.

If he gets a better contract offer MLSE cannot afford to not match and raise his current deal, TFC as a franchise is finally looking to turn the corner, we need Giovinco as the cornerstone if they want to continue to grow the brand.

Yohan
08-09-2016, 10:36 PM
He's on a 4 year deal and he'll be 31 and a half in the summer of 2018, when he'll be midway through his final year here, and will be very likely to leave, imho.

Some media outlets reported it as five years at the time, but that got cleared up on these boards at some point.I'm getting mixed results on google length of giovinco's contract, whether it's 4 or 5.

I'm still betting that Giovinco will stick with MLS for money and better quality of life for his family

Richard
08-09-2016, 10:40 PM
I think he will legitimately get an offer that is on par with his current contract from an EPL club this coming winter transfer window, the EPL has gone into cold war mode with the new TV money.

reggie
08-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I remember him saying that he would stay at least 3 years and then he will see after that.
does he have any endorsments yet in Toronto?

notthesun
08-10-2016, 08:09 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/10/why-sebastian-giovinco-most-productive-player-mls-history

Bobo
08-13-2016, 10:15 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/12/scouts-take-sebastian-giovinco-best-player-mls-history?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Coaches weigh in on the debate.

Seba doesn't actually wear a size-4 boot does he?!

ronzilla
08-19-2016, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFCPR/status/766659447557132288

https://twitter.com/dee_emanuele/status/766399216159784964

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 11:14 AM
One more for Seba but Villa's offside goal keeps them all tied up goal-wise.

Yohan
08-22-2016, 07:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt7hTvVQxzs

anto7
08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt7hTvVQxzs

Wow, how lucky are we to have this guy on our team?. He is one of those rare special players who fans come out to watch knowing they are very likely to witness something special pretty much every game. Worth the price of admission alone. The number of highlight real goals he has scored in less than 2 seasons is astounding. Every time I see that goal vs Red Bulls it still gives me goosebumps and I never get tired of listening to Nigel Reed calling it.

Ivy
08-23-2016, 04:02 PM
That NYRB is unreal. Plus it has that story behind it.
Its a real shame that MLS fans stuff the ballot and he didn't win GOTY

OgtheDim
08-23-2016, 04:17 PM
That NYRB is unreal. Plus it has that story behind it.
Its a real shame that MLS fans stuff the ballot and he didn't win GOTY

To a guy who promptly quit on the league for money in the Gulf.

Still the best goal in the league EVAH. And less then an hour after the bat flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXTXecD3_o

If this was a Jay or Leaf's moment, a still from that would be immortalized on cheap posters everywhere, just like the bat flip.

Giovinco is the MLS MVP right now. This can change but its his to lose.

ronzilla
08-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Seba is leading the MVP race by a mile, it's only Golden boot that anyone has a chance. As long as Giovinco remains healthy, I think he will repeat last years awards.

Ben - D.O.W.
08-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Seba is leading the MVP race by a mile, it's only Golden boot that anyone has a chance. As long as Giovinco remains healthy, I think he will repeat last years awards.

No one has done either the Golden Boot or MVP two years in a row (there are people who have won twice) - he'd be covering all sorts of new ground. Which seems to be pretty expected for him at this point. I hope he repeats both.

Yohan
08-25-2016, 02:31 PM
The thing I love most about Giovinco is that his brain is like a computer that's constantly analyzing. A lot of players in MLS react to situations and doesn't read the game that well. Giovinco knows what he's going to do before he receives the ball or puts himself in a position where he's going to be dangerous. hence why he's frustrated esp with the youngsters that doesn't take advantage of his off the ball movements. they don't think that fast most of the time. Big side effect of having Giovinco with TFC is that everyone else is forced to think a lot faster than before, and MLS is already a pretty fast paced league.

Only guy I can think of off my head who has footy smarts close to Giovinco in MLS and played a similar role is Donovan, but he didn't have the technical ability close to Giovinco. (meaning, second striker/trequartista role) There are some playmakers that have same level of footy smarts.

OgtheDim
08-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Closest thing is David Silva but he's a bit more focused on moving forward. Giovinco is always looking to play people in if he can.

TFC Tifoso
08-26-2016, 08:54 AM
great bit from Larson's piece in the Sun today.....

"Top brass were prepared to let Giovinco miss a match on TFC's three-game trip due to the birth of his daughter. He never approached them."

A pure professional.....

mistercorporate
08-26-2016, 11:50 AM
great bit from Larson's piece in the Sun today.....

"Top brass were prepared to let Giovinco miss a match on TFC's three-game trip due to the birth of his daughter. He never approached them."

A pure professional.....

A man on a mission!

ronzilla
08-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Looks like Giovinco was snubbed again from the NT with new coach.

http://www.football-italia.net/90472/italy-ventura-calls-new-faces

TheGoodson
08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
TFC just tweeted that Seba is out for 4 weeks due to a quad and abductor strain...

Now, it's time for the rest of the squad to step up

OgtheDim
08-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Back to being underdogs...I like it.

OK, I'd prefer being overlord of all this league with Seba but if he is going to be injured, and people then are going to not fear us as much, that's a good thing.

Time to prove this team isn't just Giovinco.

https://twitter.com/jamessharman/status/770277778759507968

Two weeks to prepare (minus the int call ups of Alitidore, Bradley, Ricketts and Cooper) to show how good this team is beyond Giovinco. I think the defence and others are going to have a big chip on their shoulder about this and come out focused and prepared for Chicago and NYRB.

Pint
08-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Probably only misses 2 matches. Not too bad considering

General Woolfe
08-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Probably only misses 2 matches. Not too bad considering
More like three. Expect him back for the visit of Orlando, or more likely DC United. He's then still got to get match fit :(

I still think we can make the playoffs, but it will be more like last season than enjoying home field throughout. Our chance of that went with Seba quads

C.Ronaldo
08-29-2016, 02:02 PM
A man on a mission!

Brass should have approached him.

sometimes your superiors need to hold you back or give you a reality check

barticusz
08-29-2016, 02:23 PM
This is actually perfect timing. International break, plus he gets a well deserved rest in advance of the home stretch.

Jack
08-29-2016, 02:48 PM
This is actually perfect timing. International break, plus he gets a well deserved rest in advance of the home stretch.
Agreed, if there were such a thing as an ideal time to get injured, this is it. As long as he does the recovery properly, he should be raring to go for the stretch run and playoffs.

Bobo
08-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Might even have a wildcard in Cooper to fill in while Seba sits. They'll need someone who has the desire to take on defenders.

barticusz
08-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Might even have a wildcard in Cooper to fill in while Seba sits. They'll need someone who has the desire to take on defenders.

Exactly. A wonderful opportunity for Cooper to prove that he deserves a longer term contract. If the loan doesn't motivate him to perform than good riddance and we'll find someone else to fill that hole.

Oldtimer
09-12-2016, 12:22 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14305464_10153698557821805_1380945383879667788_o.j pg

C.Ronaldo
09-12-2016, 01:01 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFCPR/status/766659447557132288

https://twitter.com/dee_emanuele/status/766399216159784964

wow, he has the soccer hop DOWN!

KurtLarSUN
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM
I usually get one or two 1-on-1s with Sebastian Giovinco per season. Here's my piece from my conversation with him yesterday.
Interestingly, he provided some answers in English. It was the first time he's spoken to media in English.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/22/reds-giovinco-wants-to-finish-career-in-to

TFC Tifoso
09-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Great interview Kurt!....read it in the print version this morning....

this should really put to rest the fears many have of him leaving.....from the way I see it, the only way he's leaving is if its TFC's decision....

and you are right on the money when you say that this guy should currently be right up there in the Donaldson & Matthews category.....by the time he's done here, hopefully he will be spoken of the same way that Joe Carter and Doug Gilmour are.....

DinamoTFC
09-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Great article once again. Thanks

dupont
09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
So I saw that Seba posted on Instagram that his injury is more severe than expected and he went to train in Italy to try to train faster. That is the first I heard of that. I wonder what the projected timeline for his return is. We will really need him for the playoffs.

sn0re
09-25-2016, 11:19 AM
So I saw that Seba posted on Instagram that his injury is more severe than expected and he went to train in Italy to try to train faster. That is the first I heard of that. I wonder what the projected timeline for his return is. We will really need him for the playoffs.

The hope is that he would return on Monday

dupont
09-25-2016, 02:20 PM
The hope is that he would return on Monday

Oh, good! I guess his definition of severe is different than mine!

Bobo
10-03-2016, 10:06 PM
So now we know why Giovinco wasn't available Saturday. He was downtown chilling and playing some keep ups with Eros.

https://s10.postimg.org/olnqxqv7t/IMG_20161001_WA0002_1.jpg

https://twitter.com/MLSELive/status/782586279263399936

notthesun
12-09-2016, 07:13 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/09/sebastian-giovinco-goes-1-1-mlssoccer-com-ahead-mls-cup-2016

Interview with Seba, including this:

MLSsoccer.com: How many more years left on your contract and have there already been talks to extend your stay in Toronto?

Giovinco: [laughing] Yes, there are still four years left [Giovinco signed a 6-year contract through the end of 2020]. And I think on my part there’s a desire to continue here and I think on their end [TFC], as well.

Cuchulain
12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I think Gio is going to have a massive game tomorrow. Space is going to open up for him as Altidore is going to draw a crowd all game.

SenorDingDong
12-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I think Gio is going to have a massive game tomorrow. Space is going to open up for him as Altidore is going to draw a crowd all game.

It's a fairly good sign that we were able to progress with Seba having such a quiet last few games.

mistercorporate
12-09-2016, 08:09 PM
It's a fairly good sign that we were able to progress with Seba having such a quiet last few games.

The reason we progressed is because of all those defenders focusing on him, leaving space for others to attack. Even when Seba is quiet, he is loud! ;)

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Seba with his scoring boots back on. He's tied with Jozy and ex Red Findley. Chasing Guevara.

Fort York Redcoat
04-22-2017, 08:53 AM
A brace for Seba puts him past Jozy all time AND Amado Guevara. Let the floodgates open!

The next ex-red he's chasing is Alan Gordon all time.

Fort York Redcoat
05-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Another brace, another passing Jozy. What a run.

oldtraffordPEI
05-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Watching his post game interview...wow, his English has improved a lot! kudos

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Another one for Seba means he pulls away from Jozy again.

flatpicker
05-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Watching his post game interview...wow, his English has improved a lot! kudos

Just checking out the video now.
This is the first time i've watched him interviewed in English.
Wow... it's kinda trippy seeing him speak without translator.

sn0re
05-15-2017, 07:58 AM
http://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2017/5/15/15638326/time-to-let-sebastian-giovinco-rest-toronto-fc-injury-news

If Seba does have plantar fascia, then its time for the TFC staff to give Seba a few weeks to rest. In the meantime, I would love to see Jordan Hamilton or Ben Spencer step up their game and show they are capable of being first team material (again).

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2017, 08:14 AM
http://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2017/5/15/15638326/time-to-let-sebastian-giovinco-rest-toronto-fc-injury-news

If Seba does have plantar fascia, then its time for the TFC staff to give Seba a few weeks to rest. In the meantime, I would love to see Jordan Hamilton or Ben Spencer step up their game and show they are capable of being first team material (again).

I am pretty sure Ben will be looked at before Jordan gets another run out.

Areathrasher
05-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Just checking out the video now.
This is the first time i've watched him interviewed in English.
Wow... it's kinda trippy seeing him speak without translator.

Where's that particular video? Checked their Youtube page and the video section of the site and can't find it

woolly
05-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Well, fuck. I have Plantar Fasciitis from playing soccer, and it's been healing for almost 4 years now but I still can't play without significant pain. (My last specialists prognosis was "just learn to live with it, you'll never run again").

I hope that Seba has access to better docs so that he can get it healed up, but I suspect it will require surgery and rehab and that he might be done for the season if he's not able to play a full half.

Canary10
05-15-2017, 08:53 AM
I heard he was stepped on in the last game and his achilles was so swollen he had trouble putting on his boots. That makes sense given they described his injury as his "heel." That would probably be better than plantar fascitis which can take a long time to heal.

woolly
05-15-2017, 09:04 AM
I heard he was stepped on in the last game and his achilles was so swollen he had trouble putting on his boots. That makes sense given they described his injury as his "heel." That would probably be better than plantar fascitis which can take a long time to heal.

It's actually a double whammy;

When your Achilles swell because of the fasciitis, you can develop retrocalcaneal bursitis, which is a swelling of the "bump" on the back of your heel. It's the foot equivalent of Carpal Tunnel. Both can take a really long time to heal, and surgery weakens the tendon to the point hat you can't run on it, ever.

My bursitis took 6-8 months or rest and constant icing to come down, bu the only exercise I could do was swimming. You can hit it with cortisone shots, but that will just make the whole problem much, much worse later on.

Canary10
05-15-2017, 09:11 AM
It's actually a double whammy;

When your Achilles swell because of the fasciitis, you can develop retrocalcaneal bursitis, which is a swelling of the "bump" on the back of your heel. It's the foot equivalent of Carpal Tunnel. Both can take a really long time to heal, and surgery weakens the tendon to the point hat you can't run on it, ever.

My bursitis took 6-8 months or rest and constant icing to come down, bu the only exercise I could do was swimming. You can hit it with cortisone shots, but that will just make the whole problem much, much worse later on.

My point is it's not an overuse injury, it came from a specific trauma. That's easier to deal with because you know the source. He apparently had gotten the swelling down enough to start on Saturday. He likely just needs to stay off it a bit and get the usual physio.

molenshtain
05-15-2017, 09:36 AM
out 3 weeks with quad strain.

Hagglund out 2-3 months with torn ACL.

OgtheDim
05-15-2017, 09:54 AM
MCL for Haglund - ACL would be the end of his season.

molenshtain
05-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Right. Of course.

woolly
05-15-2017, 10:06 AM
This run of rapid-fire games is going to cost us "bigly" in injuries this season. With losses of players for the Gold Cup, we're really looking at a short bench this summer.

Speaking of, do we know who we will lose for the Gold Cup yet?

molenshtain
05-15-2017, 10:15 AM
This run of rapid-fire games is going to cost us "bigly" in injuries this season. With losses of players for the Gold Cup, we're really looking at a short bench this summer.

Speaking of, do we know who we will lose for the Gold Cup yet?

Sure things look like Altidore, Bradley, Cooper, Ricketts. We don't have a real idea on who Zambrano is gonna want going forward but it's possible any or all of Hamilton, Morgan, Chapman, Osorio and Edwards get called up.

Of those, I'm least convinced Hamilton or Morgan will go. They haven't played all year. but We could still easily be down between 7-9 guys for that stretch.

I think it's likely we sign 1-2 more academy players over the coming weeks.

woolly
05-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Sure things look like Altidore, Bradley, Cooper, Ricketts. We don't have a real idea on who Zambrano is gonna want going forward but it's possible any or all of Hamilton, Morgan, Chapman, Osorio and Edwards get called up.

Of those, I'm least convinced Hamilton or Morgan will go. They haven't played all year. but We could still easily be down between 7-9 guys for that stretch.

I think it's likely we sign 1-2 more academy players over the coming weeks.

You forgot Morrow sounded likely to get a call for the US. So down 8-9 guys for the GC, plus another 2 possible for injuries (Gio (maybe) and Haggulnd (def))

Gonna be thin all over.

molenshtain
05-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Highly, Highly unlikely Morrow gets called up. That's why I left him out. Too many guys in front of him at the LB position for the US at the moment.

Gazza_55
05-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Morrow is not getting called up and Cooper won't come back to TFC after the Gold Cup as he will be shipped out.

We are really going to miss Ricketts if Canada calls him in with Altidore most likely gone to for the length of the tournament.

notthesun
05-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Actually Molinaro suggested in a story last month that Morrow might be in line for a spot on the Gold Cup roster: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/justin-morrow-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-us-national-team/

It might happen sooner than Morrow thinks. Two notable reporters who cover the U.S. national team told Sportsnet that they expect the TFC defender to be included in Arena’s roster for this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup.

molenshtain
05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Wishful thinking, I think, on the part of his sources. Lichaj, Garza, Villafana, Johnson and probably Beasley sit comfortably ahead of Morrow at LB. That's not including the likes of Robbie Rogers, Taylor Kemp, Edgar Castillo and Jonathan Bornstein who all have some sort of leg up on him whether it's previous USMNT experience or previous relationship with Arena. I can't see Morrow beating out that many guys.

If Arena thought of him as being in that group of players he would have at least called him up to January camp.

flatpicker
05-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Where's that particular video? Checked their Youtube page and the video section of the site and can't find it

Go to the TFC website and select "interviews" in the "video" drop down menu.
Scroll through those and you will find it.

RealG-TFC
05-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Don't get the Cooper hate around here. Sure he's been bad lately but there was a time last year when he looked like the only one on the team giving a shit. As of now we have, title winning team, no need to ship him out for something unproven when we know he can play better.

ronzilla
06-28-2017, 08:01 AM
What Giovinco has done for TorontoFC has been paramount and he has instilled himself as one of the most legendary athlete in toronto.

https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/880039376427905026

Derko
06-28-2017, 09:22 AM
What Giovinco has done for TorontoFC has been paramount and he has instilled himself as one of the most legendary athlete in Toronto.

On the way home on the GO train from BMO, packed with Jays fans as well, maybe it is because the Jays lost, but their (Jays) fans can be an apoplectic lot, I saw many doing eye rolls and shaking heads at the expense of TFC's celebration, I feel that they are actually envious and don't want to admit that TFC and football is surpassing other sports teams in Toronto.

OgtheDim
06-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Jays are slipping, unfortunately because when they are on a roll the whole of the region gets really into it. If they don't pull it out during this home stand, they can kiss the post season good bye.

And then its rebuild time, which in the past has meant Jays fans go dormant - like a cicada. There is a significant portion of our support that are also Jays fans. If we keep going like this, we are likely to pull in a bunch of fans from them to support both.

Blindside16
06-28-2017, 12:03 PM
On the way home on the GO train from BMO, packed with Jays fans as well, maybe it is because the Jays lost, but their (Jays) fans can be an apoplectic lot, I saw many doing eye rolls and shaking heads at the expense of TFC's celebration, I feel that they are actually envious and don't want to admit that TFC and football is surpassing other sports teams in Toronto.

I noticed the same thing. More than once the Sebastian Giovinco chant broke out on the train and you could feel the disdain rolling off the Jays fans. There is a slow change in the Toronto sports fanbase and the growth of the Reds is undeniable. I have no illusions of passing the Leafs or Raptors in terms of fans but we can most certainly become an equal with them.

Canary10
06-28-2017, 02:14 PM
I noticed the same thing. More than once the Sebastian Giovinco chant broke out on the train and you could feel the disdain rolling off the Jays fans. There is a slow change in the Toronto sports fanbase and the growth of the Reds is undeniable. I have no illusions of passing the Leafs or Raptors in terms of fans but we can most certainly become an equal with them.

Kind of annoying they wouldn't join in. After one of our matches during the NHL playoffs when the Leafs had won there were Leafs fans chanting go Leafs go. Everyone joined in. It's one city, cheer for everyone.

CanadaLFC
06-28-2017, 07:12 PM
For those that cannot find the Seba interview with KJ

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/giovinco-thrilled-with-comeback-win~1156143

EL DUQUE'----'
07-16-2017, 02:54 AM
This has to be bumped.... Just saw the Orlando goals... Him and jozy.. Omg...

TFC1154ever
07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2W-FitLWOc

Some of these are just ridiculous. That last one still gives me chills :)

OgtheDim
07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Watching that, I'm struck once again about how darn good Altidore is as a provider.

fergiejr
07-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Watching that, I'm struck once again about how darn good Altidore is as a provider.

It's funny how many times Altidore just chucks it along to Seba and turns to watch the magic happen.

That lastish Vazquez feed though, where Seba jumps into Victor's arms - classic.

C.Ronaldo
07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
It's funny how many times Altidore just chucks it along to Seba and turns to watch the magic happen.

That lastish Vazquez feed though, where Seba jumps into Victor's arms - classic.

the no look pass? that was way above MLS's level

kinda of like when you get the one or two guys on your sunday team who actually know what they are doing

OgtheDim
07-17-2017, 03:44 PM

That overhead kick assist - he knew where Seba was.

ensco
07-17-2017, 08:48 PM
That was an excellent use of 12 minutes.

The sheer variety is stunning ..... screamers, curlers, knucklers, chips ... dribbling through traffic to create... and often just classic center forward positioning, where he essentially taps in because he just knows how to arrive in the right place at the perfect moment (that's what he did for number 55)

samuraizero
07-18-2017, 11:35 AM
That was an excellent use of 12 minutes.

Yea, I didnt need to work during that time.

Vasquez/Bradley/Gio/Altidore are a crazy combo.
Sprinkle in a little Edwards, Beita and Morrow - and baby, you've got a stew goin'.

Mr. Fanatic
07-30-2017, 09:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYYXWSJsiVQ&lc=z13kwblwkz3yd3x5y04cjp44gq2bcndwk34

Check that out if you're interested!

It's about the history of our best ever player Sebastian Giovinco!

ronzilla
07-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Giovinco is now officially the king of FK's in MLS with 10 goals and also scored his 50th goal!

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/892037977756585985

Canary10
07-31-2017, 10:53 AM
The highlight reel of Giovinco's free kick goals is well worth a watch.

Yohan
07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Kinda ridiculous that 10 out of his 50 MLS goals are free kicks.

molenshtain
07-31-2017, 11:09 AM
I wonder how many were Pk's.

ryan
07-31-2017, 11:40 AM
I wonder how many were Pk's.

I'd guess no more than 10

molenshtain
07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
I'd guess no more than 10

just counted 8. Mystery solved.

flatpicker
07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
just counted 8. Mystery solved.

http://www.picgifs.com/clip-art/cartoons/scooby-doo/clip-art-scooby-doo-388612.jpg

ronzilla
07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
So..

8 PK goals
10 FK goals
32 Regular play goals

Canary10
07-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Is there anyone that doesn't stand expecting a goal if Giovinco has a free kick anywhere within 30 yards?

Red CB Toronto
07-31-2017, 01:28 PM
He is simply amazing, pure beauty to watch. Just along the lines of some of the amazing free kicks Becks had in his day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYgHunQEl0

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
He's back to being neck and neck with Adi, All time, with a lot less matches. One behind Henry as well.

Areathrasher
08-01-2017, 11:56 AM
He's back to being neck and neck with Adi, All time, with a lot less matches. One behind Henry as well.

All time how? In MLS regular season?

ronzilla
08-01-2017, 12:14 PM

You might want to add that your including Jozys 3 additional MLS seasons.

Heres the real numbers from both players since 2015:

Giovinco - 50 Goals - 36 Assists

Jozy - 32 Goals - 10 Assists

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
All time how? In MLS regular season?

Ya man

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2017, 03:14 PM
You might want to add that your including Jozys 3 additional MLS seasons.

Heres the real numbers from both players since 2015:

Giovinco - 50 Goals - 36 Assists

Jozy - 32 Goals - 10 Assists

That's cool but...Jozy? He got his own thread.

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Seba now tied with Adi, Valeri and Henry with less games played than any one of them.

flatpicker
08-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Seba now tied with Adi, Valeri and Henry with less games played than any one of them.

I was just looking at the stats on the MLS site.
A bit of criticism on how it's set up:
When you scroll down the list of players, you no longer see what each column represents.
There are a lot of columns and numbers to keep track of.
They need to change it so the column header stays visible when scrolling.

Anyway... Seba is awesome.

Fort York Redcoat
08-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Another for Seba passing Adi and pacing Valeri All-time. Just 2 off Alan Gordon.

Blindside16
08-28-2017, 03:42 AM
Seba has 3 count em, 3 goals up for goal of the week this week. I have never seen that before! Get voting boys and girls. My problem is I don't know which one to pick.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/27/vote-goal-week-week-25

Initial B
08-28-2017, 07:15 AM
^ For me, it's the volley, the split second timing required and the fact that he nutmeged Bush to do it. The helpless shrug of the shoulders from the defender after the goal, as if he's saying "whattaya gonna do?" is icing on the cake.

But he's not going to win for any of those because the votes are going to be split, which is maybe what they wanted.

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2017, 11:15 AM
2 more means he's tied Alan Gordon all-time and one on Valeri.

He's 3 behind Dwyer and only 4 behind Chad Barrett.

Section_105
08-28-2017, 11:39 AM
^ For me, it's the volley, the split second timing required and the fact that he nutmeged Bush to do it. The helpless shrug of the shoulders from the defender after the goal, as if he's saying "whattaya gonna do?" is icing on the cake.

But he's not going to win for any of those because the votes are going to be split, which is maybe what they wanted.

exactly what is happening. Everyone get on the Volley as it is closest to the top.

fergiejr
08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
The volley is 3rd in the top 3. You can vote once per hour.

Bones is also up for SOTW from the previous game. He's winning that one.

Oldtimer
08-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Seba's deadball skills:

https://www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/toronto-fc/2017/8/29/16218920/sebastian-giovinco-toronto-fc-free-kick-taker-mls

fergiejr
08-30-2017, 08:08 AM
That fan vid of the Philly goal really illustrates the point. I often wonder why teams don't put one or two more people on the line when Seba's up.

Also, FWIW, Vazquez is pretty good on the dead ball himself.

Auzzy
08-30-2017, 10:54 AM
That fan vid of the Philly goal really illustrates the point. I often wonder why teams don't put one or two more people on the line when Seba's up.

Also, FWIW, Vazquez is pretty good on the dead ball himself.

A couple of teams have tried putting a defender on the goal line in the last minute vs. Giovinco. Didn't Lee Nguyen once stop a Giovinco goal that way, vs. New England? But if any team does that consistently, or takes a bit more time to set it up properly, then TFC will just position Altidore & Mavinga directly in front of the opposing goalie, completely obstructing his view, w/o being offside.

fergiejr
08-30-2017, 11:26 AM
A couple of teams have tried putting a defender on the goal line in the last minute vs. Giovinco. Didn't Lee Nguyen once stop a Giovinco goal that way, vs. New England? But if any team does that consistently, or takes a bit more time to set it up properly, then TFC will just position Altidore & Mavinga directly in front of the opposing goalie, completely obstructing his view, w/o being offside.

Ah, right. Make sense. The player would put our guy onside as he played the ball off the goal line.

OgtheDim
08-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Just an FYI: on FK's against us, we've been pulling back Moor into the goal.

GabrielHurl
10-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Another excellent piece from TPT

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/sebastian-giovinco-toronto-fc/

I've been in Toronto nearly three years now, and there are two things I still have yet to see.

One of those things is Niagara Falls.

And I’ll get there, eventually.

But first, there’s something else want to see. That I need to see.

And that’s Toronto FC winning the MLS Cup.

RedsYNWA
10-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Nice read

flambe
10-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

"I’ll be honest — I still don’t understand a lot of the chants. (I’m learning.) But I do know when I hear my name being sung by the crowd at BMO. I hear it. And I feel it."

Besides the "Saaaaa-bastian Giovinco" chant, do we have anything else that might pump him up in the play-offs?! :megaphone:

Oldtimer
10-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Another excellent piece from TPT

What I like about it especially are the tales of his childhood.

Detroit_TFC
10-04-2017, 11:49 AM
That was a great article. Not sure many people understand or want to understand (edit: outside of Toronto) that Seba loves his life in TO, and that has real value to him.

charlieocc
10-04-2017, 12:02 PM
That article made me so happy. Also, I love his last line - "I hear the Canadian side of the Falls is way better"

Cuchulain
10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Seba is at Bell mobility at Windermere and Bloor signing autographs right now till 730pm

GerMc
10-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Seba is at Bell mobility at Windermere and Bloor signing autographs right now till 730pm

I went by with my son and got some shirts signed. He was nice and friendly. I am always impressed when stars are into it. Also got some new scarves for being in the first 50!

PizzaEatingYeti
10-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

"I’ll be honest — I still don’t understand a lot of the chants. (I’m learning.) But I do know when I hear my name being sung by the crowd at BMO. I hear it. And I feel it."

Besides the "Saaaaa-bastian Giovinco" chant, do we have anything else that might pump him up in the play-offs?! :megaphone:

Lol... it's obvious that his talent for other languages than his mother tongue it's far from his footy talent.

Section_105
10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
a little italiano flavour,

Forza Giovinco.....not sure about timing/beat though.

fergiejr
10-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Lol... it's obvious that his talent for other languages than his mother tongue it's far from his footy talent.

;-). He speaks far better English than I do Italian! ;-)

OgtheDim
10-16-2017, 06:25 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/10/15/our-new-capo-little-giovinco?autoplay=true

Auzzy
10-17-2017, 12:06 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/10/15/our-new-capo-little-giovinco?autoplay=true

I don't know much about Italian soccer, but I can't quite imagine a scene like that in Italy, with a player & his kid in front of the supporters. Am I right or wrong here?

BenRhodes23
10-17-2017, 12:16 PM
I don't know much about Italian soccer, but I can't quite imagine a scene like that in Italy, with a player & his kid in front of the supporters. Am I right or wrong here?

I highly doubt it. I think he (as well as many other MLS players) likes being here because of the way he can interact with the fans. In North America he can walk down the street without many people recognizing him whereas in Europe it would be much more difficult.

C.Ronaldo
10-17-2017, 12:18 PM

the portly gentlemen without a shirt in a mask will give me nightmares for a while

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2017, 12:50 PM

I highly doubt it. I think he (as well as many other MLS players) likes being here because of the way he can interact with the fans. In North America he can walk down the street without many people recognizing him whereas in Europe it would be much more difficult.

In the past 5 years or so, players have brought their wives/kids on the field after the Serie A trophy is presented to the winner.....

Cas87
10-17-2017, 12:57 PM
In the past 5 years or so, players have brought their wives/kids on the field after the Serie A trophy is presented to the winner.....

Same with the Champions League as well (once the pomp and circumstance is done). I distinctly remember Marcelo in particular taking photos with his family and having his kids play with the trophy.

jennicowdy
10-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Apologies if everyone has already seen this, but this article is just so awesome. What a guy.

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Same with the Champions League as well (once the pomp and circumstance is done). I distinctly remember Marcelo in particular taking photos with his family and having his kids play with the trophy.

ya its not uncommon in Europe, that's for sure.....if you Google it, there's actually pictures of Giovinco with his wife/gf on the field with the Serie A Champions trophy from his time with Juve, just before he came here....one of the pictures, ironically, points back to this board lol......

Auzzy
10-17-2017, 01:38 PM

OK thanks for the info! I've seen/heard some of the bad sides of Italian supporters culture in the past few years, but the good sides of course don't get reported as much!

C.Ronaldo
10-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Ronaldo had his son out schooling the other players kids

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2017, 02:09 PM
OK thanks for the info! I've seen/heard some of the bad sides of Italian supporters culture in the past few years, but the good sides of course don't get reported as much!

No problem....

It's really not THAT bad, aside from a couple of teams....the Rome derby (Lazio/Roma) always has incidents though.....most problems in Italy are between the Ultras and teams' management done in the way of walkouts, upside down banners, etc, not necessarily violence.

The real problem with fan experience in Italy is from old and out of date stadiums.....aside from Juve's Allianz Stadium (2010), there hasn't been anything new built since Italia '90, which is absolutely terrible.
It is changing though; Roma, Udinese, and maybe both of the Milan clubs (one of them for sure, can't remember which right now), all have plans for new stadiums to be built within the next few years....

BenRhodes23
10-17-2017, 03:25 PM
They still have a lot of issues with ultras in Italy, especially with racism

TFC Tifoso
10-18-2017, 08:29 AM
^^ again, it is with 1 or 2 groups, not at all rampant....

not much different than what happens in England a few times a year with the chants against Spurs.....

Areathrasher
10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
It is changing though; Roma, Udinese, and maybe both of the Milan clubs (one of them for sure, can't remember which right now), all have plans for new stadiums to be built within the next few years....

Been finished for a while - they completely re-did three sides of the ground.
https://footballtripper.com/galleries/udinese/stadio-friuli-curva-nord.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/DaciArena.jpg/1200px-DaciArena.jpg

TFC Tifoso
10-18-2017, 03:01 PM
^^ ya I should've known better but wasn't totally sure....

11-11-2017, 09:46 AM
He had the 7th best selling jersey in MLS in 2017

1. Miguel Almiron, Atlanta United
2. Bastian Schweinsteiger, Chicago Fire
3. Josef Martinez, Atlanta United
4. Jordan Morris, Seattle Sounders
5. David Villa, New York City FC
6. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders
7. Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC
8. Kaka, Orlando City
9. Andrea Pirlo, New York City FC
10. Nicolas Lodeiro, Seattle Sounders

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/3264785/atlanta-uniteds-miguel-almiron-overtakes-andrea-pirlo-for-best-selling-jersey-in-mls

SoccMan2
11-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Been finished for a while - they completely re-did three sides of the ground.
https://footballtripper.com/galleries/udinese/stadio-friuli-curva-nord.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/DaciArena.jpg/1200px-DaciArena.jpg
That's how BMO should have looked nice and enclosed like this instead we got what we have your classic 1950's CFL architecture , two big grandstands with open end zones ya BMO Field one of the best stadiums in the MLS lol ya sure!

reggie
11-11-2017, 12:06 PM
maybe gio can build that for us,can anybody tell me why gio is not on that brutal italian nat team

TFC1154ever
11-11-2017, 02:08 PM
House league coach.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-11-2017, 02:48 PM
That's how BMO should have looked nice and enclosed like this instead we got what we have your classic 1950's CFL architecture , two big grandstands with open end zones ya BMO Field one of the best stadiums in the MLS lol ya sure!

+100!

It's our stadium, and we must like it, but my God, the truth is that it looks weird...
This in the pics is a gem compared to BMO.

With the money they already spent on BMO field they could have made it sooooo much better.
How many years we need to wait until all 4 sides will be closed, and the stands behind the goals will be not so dispoportionally tiny compared to the grand stands?

But even then, BMO won't be this sexy... will be far from something like this... :banghead:

Initial B
11-11-2017, 06:29 PM
I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable. I find that hard to believe because that would reflect on how his teammates perceive him and they all seem to love him. Maybe at one time he was like that, but I don't think Bradley would put up with something like that.

SirBobSaget
11-12-2017, 11:11 PM
I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable. I find that hard to believe because that would reflect on how his teammates perceive him and they all seem to love him. Maybe at one time he was like that, but I don't think Bradley would put up with something like that.

Not so sure about that, think its more simply he doesn't fit the national team at the moment.

stevep
11-13-2017, 05:17 PM
just watched Italy be eliminated from the world cup.
Gio looks better than the guys starting.
he definitely could have been on the bench

Oldtimer
11-13-2017, 05:20 PM
I've heard something disturbing, someone told me today that the reason Giovinco is not getting a national team look (or playing in Serie A for that matter) is because he isn't coachable.

The reason Giovinco is not getting called up is the soon to be ex coach is terrible. Don't believe everything that you hear.

CBTFC
11-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Tell me Italy's attack isn't a tad more lethal, say with a Balotelli/Insigne/Giovinco trifecta out there today.

ensco
12-17-2017, 03:21 PM
It's been all Jozy this week, and why not?

But Seba deserves a little more of the love, but maybe in a different way than usual. It's not all about the spectacular goals, even though he has had dozens of those.

When you look at all of the big highlights in the “Relive” thread, it's amazing how often a key play, or the key play, in the sequence is made by Seba. Most of Altidore's big goals, including the last two, don’t happen if Gio doesn’t make perfect plays/passes.

It's funny how we pigeon hole guys sometimes. Seba is a “striker” because he scores all those goals, but the reality is that in crunch time, he has been a world class AM, or false 9 just behind Jozy, and it's his distribution that is also a massive part of why we are champions.

Not to say his scoring doesn’t matter! He is always dangerous, draws attention constantly, creating space for others. If he doesn’t score this special goal late in the final game, we're not the alltime points leaders

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02gtV20091Y

He is a connoiseur's treat to watch, and cheer for.

PAOK17
12-17-2017, 06:35 PM
^^I agree with all of this. For some reason, some fans look at his goal scoring numbers and point out that he has declined. 2015 was a fantastic year for Giovinco, but it has set the bar unfairly high for him. Teams have adjusted, he's also a little older. Looking back at that year, TFC was not nearly as good as the last two years. His goals/assists don't need to be as high as the responsibility has been spread out. Let's not forget all of the talk of how TFC was a one man team back then.

I think we can all agree that if we had to choose between the 2015 versions of TFC and Giovinco, and the 2017 versions, we'd all take the 2017 versions.

James17930
12-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Yeah, he actually could have been considered as the playoff MVP based on setting up goals (but then so could Vasquez).

Well, he seemed pretty happy with the win regardless. Is this the first set of silverware he's won in his career?

JuliquE
12-17-2017, 08:52 PM
As good as he was in 2015, we were some way off from being the polished side we are today, and you could see, at times, his frustration with a few plays gone awry, as a direct result.

Don't get me wrong: he's certainly a team-player, and you sense that with how everyone talks about him always wearing a huge smile around the training grounds, etc.

I think he's just a lot happier now, sans personal accolades, and that confidence in his supporting cast enables him to quietly have a consistently great season, despite a few injury setbacks.

GioVINco!

OgtheDim
12-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Yeah, he actually could have been considered as the playoff MVP based on setting up goals (but then so could Vasquez).

Well, he seemed pretty happy with the win regardless. Is this the first set of silverware he's won in his career?

He won Serie A with Juventus a few times - most notably in 2012-2013 where he started 23 and subbed in for 8 other games.

trane
12-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Tell me Italy's attack isn't a tad more lethal, say with a Balotelli/Insigne/Giovinco trifecta out there today.

This is old. But yes, yes it would be. Many, many, many in Italy have been complaining about that way before we were eliminated.

James17930
12-18-2017, 06:18 PM
He won Serie A with Juventus a few times - most notably in 2012-2013 where he started 23 and subbed in for 8 other games.

Oh. Well, I suppose our win sort of pales in comparison to that. I don't know anything about his Juve career – I hadn't realized he had been that involved before.

Oldtimer
12-28-2017, 10:36 PM
A great warmup for the next season is watching all 65 of Giovinco's goals in one video. It really stands out how difficult a lot of those goals were:

http://youtu.be/t4r9Z793ksc

nonc
12-29-2017, 11:04 AM

+100!

It's our stadium, and we must like it, but my God, the truth is that it looks weird...
This in the pics is a gem compared to BMO.

With the money they already spent on BMO field they could have made it sooooo much better.
How many years we need to wait until all 4 sides will be closed, and the stands behind the goals will be not so dispoportionally tiny compared to the grand stands?

But even then, BMO won't be this sexy... will be far from something like this... :banghead:

I think the reno has made BMO Field look A LOT better, but like you say more can be done. Big problem is what they are working with, BMO was built cheap, quick and without inspiration. Almost like a permanent temporary structure. Lipstick on a pig.

James17930
02-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Seba looks super fired up for this year already - he was by far the most impactful player last week in Denver.

Anyone think he's got it in his head to gun for MVP again this year? If so, with our current supporting cast, he might even go better than that first year.

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Been a while here. Glad to see Seba back in scoring mode. Tied again with Alan Gordon all time. Won't be long till that's over.

Oldtimer
05-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Seba looks super fired up for this year already - he was by far the most impactful player last week in Denver.

Anyone think he's got it in his head to gun for MVP again this year? If so, with our current supporting cast, he might even go better than that first year.

I feel that Seba really benefitted from playing against Mexican teams.

Auzzy
05-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Some of Giovinco's recent turns and dribbles are even more amazing considering the crap field condition. I can't wait for the new grass, should really help our game. And I hope it goes down "seamlessly."

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Seba now one away from Chad Barrett all time. We have to wait a game though with that suspension.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Seba tied Barrett All time, still chasing Gordon.

Glad he got his free kick groove back.

notthesun
06-04-2018, 04:14 PM
With his free kick goal he became the fastest player to record 100 combined goals+assists in MLS play.

OgtheDim
06-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Seba off to the all star game.

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Passed Barrett. Tied Gordon again.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Another one in a match with many chances. Could've scored more but shared the wealth. 2 away from Oduro.

Fort York Redcoat
08-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Only shot on goal of the half gets Seba one away from Dom all time.

SoccMan2
08-08-2018, 11:44 AM
In Italy right now about an hours drive east of Napoli near Avellino staying here in my parents town just outside of Avellino, whenever I meet someone and tell them I’m from Toronto they automatically answer back oh Giovinco they answer back, and many also know TFC of our championship season last year as well , pretty cool to see how many people here know of TFC because of Giovinco.

OgtheDim
08-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Not sure if people saw this, but a good/ cute spread in a celebrity magazine.

Seems to like the city.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/02018072746460/sebastian-giovinco-toronto-fc-star-at-home

Fort York Redcoat
08-26-2018, 08:42 AM
A brace from Seba puts him all time at 65. Closest Ex-Red he's chasing is ahem Conor Casey. Photo not found.

notthesun
08-29-2018, 01:05 PM
This doesn't seem to have gotten too much attention but Giovinco has 7 goals and 5 assists in our last 9 MLS games, and at least a goal or assist in each.

10-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Italy called him up for games against Ukraine and Poland. First call up since 2015.

Voodooman
10-05-2018, 07:51 AM
About time!

ensco
01-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Suggest this as the appreciation thread.

Hard to know what to say.

So many moments to remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02gtV20091Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFFBPwfvfE

Oldtimer
01-30-2019, 10:02 PM
It was a privilege to see him play. The 2017 season in particular was something magical.

backbeat
01-30-2019, 10:44 PM
oh my....

Initial B
01-30-2019, 11:05 PM
We will never ever forget him. He was one of the best the league has ever seen. We should consider ourselves privileged to see him work his magic week in and week out. Feeling gut-punched right now. I wish him all the best at his new club.

stevep
01-31-2019, 12:04 AM
right now to sad to post appreciation thoughts

shwade
01-31-2019, 12:26 AM
We always kill our legends.

DIEHARDTFC
01-31-2019, 12:39 AM
Sadness beyond words. Blessed to see one of the best players to ever grace MLS let alone tfc. Having witnessed almost all home matches thru 2016 and 2017 including all playoff games and two mls cup finals at home in person and seeing sebastian giovincos magic in person is more than words do justice. Despite the dark days of last season and the uncertainty ahead, I will never forget 2016 and 2017 in this clubs history and gio was a main driver behind that. Thank you gio for all you did for us, I'm sad beyond words atm.

notthesun
01-31-2019, 12:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9G2wvkzDT8

Next to the Red Bulls goal this is maybe the most difficult and important he scored for us. I remember this game, there wasn't much working for us and we were shell-shocked by Tabla's stunner.

The skill to pull that ball down, under control, and then get the inch of space, and then finish on his weak foot to the near post... incredible. There's no treble without this moment of brilliance.

Auzzy
01-31-2019, 12:49 AM
Ugh...

jloome
01-31-2019, 01:00 AM
Ugh...

Yeah.

Brooker
01-31-2019, 01:33 AM
https://i.stack.imgur.com/XhJaf.gif

Auzzy
01-31-2019, 01:44 AM
Speaking of ugh...

https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/status/1090860711297699840

trane
01-31-2019, 06:51 AM
I am not happy. But I will not judge until I see who they replace him with.

01-31-2019, 08:12 AM
All good things must come to an end eventually.

He will always be a TFC legend.

Tdot_LFC
01-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Goodbye Seba. It was a joy to watch him play and win here.

Section_105
01-31-2019, 09:39 AM
Congrats to Seba on getting that payday in the twilight of his career. Even as one of the highest paid ever in our league it didn't seem enough somehow for the quality he brought on the field.

DinamoTFC
01-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Goodbye Legend. Thanks for the memories.

OgtheDim
01-31-2019, 10:30 AM
I will always consider this song in my head when I think of Seba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ROB8kI_fw

because of this goal

I just have put the 2 together now.

Thanks Seba - you are the GOAT!

KingLedley
01-31-2019, 10:46 AM

I was present at the Batflip Jays postseason game, celebrated with them and swapped off the blue jersey for my TFC jersey, to a Beck straight to BMO Field arriving just in time for the start of the 2nd half of this NYRB game (second video).! Seba is on the Wall of Honour and is a legend, no matter what his "awful" English translator wrote on his last Insta post. LEGEND!

Laiping
01-31-2019, 11:03 AM
I'm so upset for WORDS! :((

James17930
01-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Let's see how long his 'desire to win' keeps him satisfied in the football (and human rights) mecca that is Saudi Arabia.

pfk
01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Addio Sebastian! https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/five-sebastian-giovincos-greatest-moments-toronto-fc/

Super
01-31-2019, 03:00 PM
Best player we ever had, and ever likely will have. Thank you, Giovinco! Legend!