PDA

View Full Version : The General called into the USMNT, will miss next weekend in DC.

Red CB Toronto
05-31-2015, 05:07 PM
Michael was one of 22 players called into the USMNT today by head coach and thus will miss next weekends TFC match at DC. Will be interesting to see who steps up for the Reds to fill the void.

ROSTER
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Leon).
Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur).
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United), Fabian Johnson (Moenchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading).
Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (Los Angeles Galaxy).

OgtheDim
05-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Knew this was going to happen when we signed him.

Time for Osorio and Chapman to step up.

Jpexxx
05-31-2015, 05:17 PM
I'd like to see Chapman get some real minutes.

Injury update on Warner?

Mateo1985
05-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Is anyone on DC side being called up to national teams?

OgtheDim
05-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Is anyone on DC side being called up to national teams?

Nope. Hamid has been left off this time.

Leedsoronto
05-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Club before country, he should politely decline it's a friendly game FFS

notthesun
05-31-2015, 07:01 PM
For a non FIFA date. Oh joy.

OgtheDim
05-31-2015, 07:35 PM
Bradley is the USMNT Captain for 2018.

ag futbol
05-31-2015, 07:43 PM
For a non FIFA date. Oh joy.
Tell me about it. It's not enough that MLS can't obey the FIFA schedule, the USMNT has to play outside the FIFA calendar so we get screwed on both ends.

They can roundly fuck off with this stuff - it's bush league.

spe18
05-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Tell me about it. It's not enough that MLS can't obey the FIFA schedule, the USMNT has to play outside the FIFA calendar so we get screwed on both ends.

They can roundly fuck off with this stuff - it's bush league.

I'd like to know how it is the USMNT can schedule a friendly outside the window, and still be able to call up anyone they want. Accordingly, the international window is scheduled June 8 - 16.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

Richard
05-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Clubs don't have to release players on non FIFA days. USMNT can kindly fuck off.

notthesun
05-31-2015, 08:03 PM
I'd like to know how it is the USMNT can schedule a friendly outside the window, and still be able to call up anyone they want. Accordingly, the international window is scheduled June 8 - 16.

They can call up whoever they want whenever they want, but teams are only obligated to comply for official FIFA dates. We could have refused to release Bradley and there's nothing they could've done about it, but that's not necessarily in our best interest because we want to be able to potentially call in favors later down the line to hold onto him and Altidore for more important matches.

It's dumb. I don't blame TFC for not refusing, USSF should schedule their games according to when they should actually be scheduled. And the icing on the cake is we have a bye week during this break - if both games were within the window, Bradley wouldn't have missed a match for us.

ag futbol
05-31-2015, 08:19 PM
The reason why we are letting him go (I'd guess) is because of SUM. This is the other side of the coin of all that "free" money MLS clubs get.

Still... Pretty brutal. We shouldn't have to tolerate this crap.

MightyDM
05-31-2015, 08:27 PM

too bad the world cup drAw isn't in St Petersburg Florida so that Blatter could be arrested too......

Defoe
05-31-2015, 09:03 PM
No Dempsey for U.S.A.

I think the understanding is most TFC fans are obviously aware and content with players leaving for international duties, no way around it... But Bradley misses an extensive amount of games because of all the non fifa date friendlies. It would be pretty devastating to miss out on the playoffs by a point or two. Devils advocate? Yes... but it's interesting international friendlies are more important to him then club matches. This isn't the world cup or even the Gold Cup... it's one of many friendlies.

spe18
05-31-2015, 09:47 PM
No Dempsey for U.S.A.

I think the understanding is most TFC fans are obviously aware and content with players leaving for international duties, no way around it... But Bradley misses an extensive amount of games because of all the non fifa date friendlies. It would be pretty devastating to miss out on the playoffs by a point or two. Devils advocate? Yes... but it's interesting international friendlies are more important to him then club matches. This isn't the world cup or even the Gold Cup... it's one of many friendlies.

Turns out the reason for Dempsey not been selected is because of a birth in the family. Yup.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/31/seattle-sounders-clint-dempsey-sits-out-usmnt-matches-due-impending-birth-fo

portu
05-31-2015, 10:16 PM
You know what fuck this why do we sign players who we know are going to miss at least 5+ games a season there is a good chance that the first June/July we get Bradley for is going to be in 2019!

Red CB Toronto
05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Hey The General did decline a call up last October for a the friendly vs. Ecuador in Hartford, for an important MLS match at the Red Bulls.

ryan
06-01-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm glad we have a thread about the USMNT roster in the TFC forum. SO. BLOODY. GLAD. MERICA.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm glad we have a thread about the USMNT roster in the TFC forum. SO. BLOODY. GLAD. MERICA.

Yeah not many will be giving a shit about the rest of the roster in this non-FIFA date friendly but...

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Yeah not many will be giving a shit about the rest of the roster in this non-FIFA date friendly but...

This discussion has turned into a non-FIFA date thing, but the reality is the MLS and USSF are very much attached at the hip and scratch each others backs big time. Dandy Don and Sunil hold hands a lot. Now if you do remember when it comes to Canada on nom-FIFA dates its a different story, if everyone remembers the CSA did schedule a friendly vs. Costa Rica in Edmonton a few days out of the FIFA window and the DC United did not allow DeRo to play.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2015, 08:46 AM
This discussion has turned into a non-FIFA date thing, but the reality is the MLS and USSF are very much attached at the hip and scratch each others backs big time. Dandy Don and Sunil hold hands a lot. Now if you do remember when it comes to Canada on nom-FIFA dates its a different story, if everyone remembers the CSA did schedule a friendly vs. Costa Rica in Edmonton a few days out of the FIFA window and the DC United did not allow DeRo to play.

Point being?

I think we all can agree that these dates should be on FIFA dates. At one point they didn't even affect the standings if they were played outside of the set calendar dates.

I only mention it because it means we care even less about Team America. And it wasn't much to start with.

JollyBenjabi
06-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Jones and Agudelo are off to the game as well from New England!

Part of the 'problem' when you sign a good player, you know they'll get the call for the National Team! I don't see it as an issue, Bradley can tell his USMNT teammates all about the facility, supporters and desire to win!

Just hoping he comes back strong after the call up!

GTA_WOLF
06-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Important to have him back for the 3 home games in June, and will then assume he will be gone all of July (as will Altidore, and the way Morgan is playing, he could be gone too).

TFC07
06-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Important to have him back for the 3 home games in June, and will then assume he will be gone all of July (as will Altidore, and the way Morgan is playing, he could be gone too).

You can probably add Osorio as well.

dupont
06-01-2015, 12:07 PM
You can probably add Osorio as well.

Missing Bradley, Altidore, Morgan and Osorio all at once? Oh Christ...

OgtheDim
06-01-2015, 01:07 PM
In Chapman, Moore, Bloom and Jackson we trust?

kwhisperer
06-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Does a real "General" take time out from battle to play with toy soldiers?

OgtheDim
06-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Does a real "General" take time out from battle to play with toy soldiers?

Yes, the German National team is a bunch of toys. :frown2:

kwhisperer
06-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes, the German National team is a bunch of toys. :frown2:

I suspected I wasn't using the right comparison, but it is a friendly ... whether it's Germany or Samoa.

OgtheDim
06-01-2015, 01:51 PM
I get where you are coming from but its just not going to happen. This is a warm up for the equivalent of the Euro's. And the US REALLY wants to win the Gold Cup this time. The rivalry between the USMNT and the El Tri is reaching something like Scotland vs England, even with a shared language. :)

kwhisperer
06-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I get where you are coming from but its just not going to happen. This is a warm up for the equivalent of the Euro's. And the US REALLY wants to win the Gold Cup this time. The rivalry between the USMNT and the El Tri is reaching something like Scotland vs England, even with a shared language. :)

I get that. I'm just like a spoiled kid throwing a tantrum on this one - hate it, hate it, hate it.

trane
06-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Club before country, he should politely decline it's a friendly game FFS

I am all about country over club, but for a fucking friendly????? Fuck that.

Defoe
06-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I am all about country over club, but for a fucking friendly????? Fuck that.

I don't care about him leaving for a friendly. I care about him leaving for EVERY friendly... If the have a friendly against Guatemala's B team they would call out Bradley.

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't care about him leaving for a friendly. I care about him leaving for EVERY friendly... If the have a friendly against Guatemala's B team they would call out Bradley.

He did declined a callup for Landon's final match last October with the Reds important showdown the next night at the Red Bulls.

OgtheDim
06-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Hmm.....

From Molinaro's article today. http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-sebastian-giovinco-michael-bradley-mark-bloom-greg-vanney-mls-major-league-soccer/

What’s interesting is that the match against the Dutch doesn’t fall on an official FIFA international date, which means, technically, Toronto doesn’t have to release Bradley. Did TFC consider not letting Bradley go for the Netherlands game?“There was a lot of thought and ongoing discussion, and it wasn’t until the final hour that things worked out the way they did. It is what it is,” Vanney said.
Vanney explained there were talks between TFC and U.S. soccer officials about the situation before the MLS club agreed to release Bradley.
“The timing of the (Dutch) game is poor because there’s a (FIFA) window and if the game was in the window then it would be very clear for everybody. … It’s one of those situations where everybody is working together for a solution,” Vanney explained.

A deal of some sort?

ensco
06-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Hmm.....

From Molinaro's article today. http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-sebastian-giovinco-michael-bradley-mark-bloom-greg-vanney-mls-major-league-soccer/

A deal of some sort?

I bet you are right. I noted this elsewhere - US Gold Cup games are Honduras on July 7 in Dallas, July 10 v Honduras in Foxboro, Jul 13 vs Panama in KC.

TFC play on July 12 at NYCFC.

If the US don't need that Panama game to advance, which they probably won't, maybe one or both of Bradley and Altidore could skip the flight to KC for the Panama game and drive down to our game down the road vs NYCFC?

From TFC's POV, the DCU game Saturday has a lower expected value (ie points are tougher to get in this one) than the one at NYCFC has.

notthesun
06-02-2015, 07:16 PM
I bet you are right. I noted this elsewhere - US Gold Cup games are Honduras on July 7 in Dallas, July 10 v Honduras in Foxboro, Jul 13 vs Panama in KC.

TFC play on July 12 at NYCFC.

If the US don't need that Panama game to advance, which they probably won't, maybe one or both of Bradley and Altidore could skip the flight to KC for the Panama game and drive down to our game down the road vs NYCFC?

From TFC's POV, the DCU game Saturday has a lower expected value (ie points are tougher to get in this one) than the one at NYCFC has.

That seems way too risky from the U.S. point of view though. Imagine the criticism if either of them got injured in our match!

I'm looking more towards the next FIFA dates after the Gold Cup: August 31st through September 8th and October 5th through 13th. For the first window we have an away game against Seattle on September 5th, and the second we have a home game against NYRB one day after the window, the 14th, and that would be our 3rd last game of the season. If the U.S. schedules any friendlies for these windows I'd be looking at those two games as the ones where we might be able to hold onto Bradley & Jozy.

OgtheDim
06-02-2015, 07:18 PM
:iagree:

OgtheDim
06-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Minor contretemps on the Guardian Live Match Blog as Guardian reporter says

Bradley’s a class act, isn’t he? Don’t know why he’s back in Toronto: he should be playing in one of Europe’s top leagues.

Followed by

Here’s Daniel Strauss:
I’m going to stop following your MBM after reading your suggestion at 22 minutes that Michael Bradley is wasting his time in MLS, rather than playing in a “top European league”.
As an American who is enthusiastic about the development of the sport here in the US, this is a perfect example of the disdainful disregard that gets US fans so irate. The game is growing by leaps and bounds here every year, thanks in no small part to players like Michael Bradley who choose to come and increase the overall talent of the league.
“It’s clear by your comment that you either don’t know anything about MLS or don’t really care to know anything about it. It’s a tired old cliche, and it’s becoming a less and less tenable cliche every week. Anyway, that’s why I’m closing this MBM. Thank you

I’m enthusiastic about it too! I love MLS. I just think Bradley is a really, really excellent player. He could play for Liverpool or Inter or Dortmund!

And then

In the interests of balance, here’s Rob Coughlin:
I’m calling foul on my fellow American Mr Strauss. I hang with a big group of soccer junkies over here, and not one of us wants our top players to play in MLS!

Areathrasher
06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
He hit the post in the first half.

Yanks currently 2-1 down. Zadres for them. Huntelaar x2 for ze dutch.

Edit: Make that 3-1, Huntelaar with the hat-trick

notthesun
06-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Nice second assist from Bradley on Brooks' goal.

bigredone
06-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Nice second assist from Bradley on Brooks' goal.

Just, WOW!!!

reggie
06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
what a game...4 to 3 for us...MB was a beast today.

Red CB Toronto
06-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Man The General is a player, fights for it all 90 minutes. It is a treat to watch him perform for the Reds and the USMNT. Today is another example of the level of player TFC has.

gmacpheetfc
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM

With the US Being Scotland?

barticusz
06-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Michael Bradley, can't say enough about this guy and his desire. For all those that continue to question him needlessly, you need to sit back and just enjoy his talent level. So happy that we have him on our team.

http://gfycat.com/HorribleSpanishBluebird# <- Perfectly placed ball which led to the goal.

http://gfycat.com/OddballDirtyGazelle <- What a run.

Red CB Toronto
06-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Hail to the General. Michael fights to keep the ball alive, slips a great ball to Jordan Morris, who finds a streaking Wood in the area. Wow. US comes back to win 4-3

notthesun
06-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Looking more and more like his old self. No foot problems and playing similar roles for both club & country seems to be paying off well.

Red CB Toronto
06-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Michael goes on 50-yard solo run, sets up stunning goal for the US. Watch the video of the game winning goal, he took his team on his back.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-stuns-netherlands-with-90th-minute-goal-2015-6

Here is where he started from

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/55720f08eab8eaf6538b4567-1200-667/michael-bradley-1-1.jpg

Here is where he finished it

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/55720f16ecad04bf738b4567-1200-667/michael-bradley-2-1.jpg

Red CB Toronto
06-05-2015, 05:08 PM
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10931118_962530920453096_1450999178349864956_n.jpg ?oh=08be3eb27d2c2978bc97255dd2252edc&oe=55FCF6A6

Richard
06-05-2015, 05:17 PM
That's great and all but I would love it if he didn't excerpt himself so much in these friendlies. I don't want him burned out when we need him the most, I have to wonder how long he can keep doing this, especially for a box to box guy who has so much mileage already.

OgtheDim
06-05-2015, 05:38 PM
The dude is Forrest Gump. He's just going to keep running until he decides to stop.

Everybody has said it - can't stop him from being out there.

BuSaPuNk
06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Just watching the second half on MUTV now jeez Bradley is a beast. No question hes completely healed from the foor procedure.

Seriously i still can't believe we have someone like him captaining our squad. Hes just another level.

ryan
06-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I refuse to believe that Bradley won't bring a trophy to this city. Fuckin stud.

BuSaPuNk
06-05-2015, 07:57 PM
I refuse to believe that Bradley won't bring a trophy to this city. Fuckin stud.

Agreed.

Hes by far the best player we've ever had on this roster. Gio is in the same level which makes it even more crazy.

Couchy81
06-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Behold!

The Bradley run in all it's glory: http://gfycat.com/OddballDirtyGazelle

ensco
06-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Just seeing this now.

In Amsterdam.

I am speechless.

Detroit_TFC
06-05-2015, 08:35 PM
It's a cliche but MB was in a beast mode in the 2nd half of that game. That is a player enjoying his football right now.

I feel the need to send his foot doctor a gift basket.

Red4ever
06-05-2015, 09:02 PM
It's a cliche but MB was in a beast mode in the 2nd half of that game. That is a player enjoying his football right now.

I feel the need to send his foot doctor a gift basket.

If I were american I would have the biggest soccerection right now. What a gutsy win.

Go to the bar. Go to her and tell the others.

Hamilton_Red
06-05-2015, 09:17 PM
MLS losing top players to National teams is entirely a MLS problem. It needs to get sorted out.

koolvid12
06-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Honestly what a legend. At an international level I truly believe he's one of the best box to box midfielders in the world. Like goal he scored with us last week, the man knows what to do with the ball. He's doesn't use pace or flair but he knows where to run to make defenders get a worse angle at the ball and himself, exceptional dribbling, and great balance/strength which leads to these kind of runs. He patience with the ball along with his vision is what skewers teams defenses like holland today. And along with his world class engine he's just a brilliant midfielder. I'm so happy he plays for us. And the US takes on FIFA and then beats the Dutch. What a time to be alive.