PDA

View Full Version : Best players for TFC? Anyone non-DPs that trully rate??

trane
05-29-2015, 05:21 PM
I was thinking about this, we have had some good stretches but we have been lacking all other the pitch almost from day one, so I was trying to think of the 10 best players we have had as far as their play on our team went. I was not thinking in terms of DPs but clearly when I started thinking DPs composed most of the list.

The list is almost to obvious.

1. Danny Dichio-I just think that he was a real effective traditional target man, who our team could play well from, and for us he was quite an effective finisher, he still is my favorite TFC player, he is the type of big strong CF that I like to build the attack around.
2. Giovinco- clearly a step above- he could be playing in the CL final next week- and he could contribute.
3. Bradley- again some have criticized - but I trully think he is a top tier CM ( I would play him as a play making CDM, but he clearly likes to get foward a bit to recklessly-but hey he is what he is
4. Frings- again a upper tier CDM- made the team better
5 Danny K- read Danny C, less of a target man more of finisher, still the kind of size and strength I like from a CF
6 De Guzman- a lot of controversy, but I still think that he was a step above, and with our team it showed
7. De Ro-had some issues, but he could score like few in this league, could have been better if he was a bit more of playmaker, but then he would probably have been in Europe
8. Altidore- another classic big CF, but he is the best we have had, by a good bit
9 Gilberto- I thought he was realy creative and more of a 10 then a 9 but real IQ, could really work with this years squad as well
10. Defoe- clearly when he cared he was for us what he always was a upper tier finisher.
11. Guevera- sort of a "regista/trequartista" but a truly talented player
12. O'Brien??? I am a bit mixed about him, certainly contributed, but not the kind of player ( mid-winger) that I really notice

I can think of all kind of serviceable player but who else comes to mind as a player that I could trully say was good, not just for the MLS/TFC? On defence we have guys play well in streches but no one shined for long. In the mid, I cannot think of a player that was trully good, a bunch we ok, but no one that comes to mind, like wow I like to see him play.

Can you guys think of someone I am missing, I know some will disagree with my choices as well.

Richard
05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
You got a pretty good list up there so far(JDG was horse hit though), but you missed Stefan Frei. I cant think of many other goalies in the league at the time who could save you games as this guy did, he really bailed us out on so many, many occasions.

He still couldn't save a penalty to save his life though.:o

Red CB Toronto
05-29-2015, 05:38 PM
You got a pretty good list up there so far(JDG was horse hit though), but you missed Stefan Frei. I cant think of many other goalies in the league at the time who could save you games as this guy did, he really bailed us out on so many, many occasions.

He still couldn't save a penalty to save his life though.:o

Stefan is still one of the top GKs in the league with the Sounders.

anto7
05-29-2015, 05:47 PM
I think I would include Carl Robinson in my list. A consummate professional, a leader. Not the flashiest of players but I think he did a lot of the grunt work that maybe went unnoticed at times.

Jack
05-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Agreed on Robbo. He took a lot of flak for "passing sideways", but his job was to get the ball back and make the simple play, which he did almost all the time.

Wagner
05-29-2015, 06:25 PM
I'd scrap JDG, and add Frei.

OgtheDim
05-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Give it another season or two and then Justin Morrow would be in consideration. I think people on here don't get how good he was last season and how difficult what he is being asked to do this season is.

Jack
05-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Give it another season or two and then Justin Morrow would be in consideration. I think people on here don't get how good he was last season and how difficult what he is being asked to do this season is.Lots of people do ;)
People on here like to make generalizations about people on here.

MartinUtd
05-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Outside of your list and those mentioned above, I'd say these are the players that left the biggest impression on me

Ryan Johnson - scored some absolute screamers in his time
Matias Laba - destroyer of opposition, sorely missed
Nick Soolsma - a tad slow but did everything asked of him
Adrian Cann - massively underrated stalwart at CB
Sam Cronin - Robo's understudy
Joao Plata - what a surprise this guy was.... obvious speed but could taken on defenders 1v1 and put a good ball on net

jabbronies
05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
My List:

1. Danny Dichio - Good old fashion Legend
2. Giovinco - Legend on another level - really my number 1, but...c'mon..Dichio
3. Dero - I put him higher because of what he did for this team over a number of years
4. Danny K - When he played - he was a consistent goal scorer we've ever had
5. Laba - The guy is one of this most under-rated players we've ever let go of
6. Bradley - Still needs to prove himself - but has brought great grit to the team
7. Altidore - Still needs to prove himself - but has brought Defo like score at will
8. Carl Robinson - Brought class and professionalism to our midfield and club
9. Frings - Brought a different level of class to the club - wish he was healthy though.
10. Frei - Great Keeper
11. Defoe - When he played healthy - Scored at will when

jabbronies
05-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Lots of people do ;)

The best defenders are the ones you never speak of. They just do their job.

Morrow is a beast.
He was MOTM last home game - broke up so many dangerous runs down the wing, but got no outward credit for it because it wasn't flash and flare.

I wouldn't put him on my top 10 list though - not yet at least.

anto7
05-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Putting together a list of the worst TFC players would be a tougher job, we have a lot to choose from ��

anto7
05-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Maurice Edu. Perhaps he should make the list for getting us a grass pitch........but he was a pretty decent player for us too.

trane
05-29-2015, 08:33 PM
^ I was thinking of Edu and was going to definitely put Robinson. I think the Edu Robinson duo was as good as combo at CDM as we have had.

Laba, I should not have missed, and I agree about Frei. Cann I was also thinking about, he definitely was as good a CB as we have ever had, other then the French/African player who played 2 or 3 games and left. I also agree about Morrow.

I also like Cronin alot, I just think he was still growing when he left.

Bishop Blaize
05-29-2015, 08:40 PM
I think I would include Carl Robinson in my list. A consummate professional, a leader. Not the flashiest of players but I think he did a lot of the grunt work that maybe went unnoticed at times.

what a player, the toughest player in mid we've had ever. No Nonsense, hard as nails, organised, natural leader. Such an under-rated player by many of our fans

MartinUtd
05-29-2015, 10:13 PM
^ I was thinking of Edu and was going to defensively put Robinson. I think the Edu Robinson duo was as good as combo at CDM as we have had.

Laba, I should not have missed, and I agree about Frei. Cann I was also thinking about, he definitely was as good a CB as we have ever had, other then the French/African player who played 2 or 3 games and left. I also agree about Morrow.

I also like Cronin alot, I just think he was still growing when he left.

Fucking Tebily. Really wish he stuck around. That guy left such an impression on me in his short time here.

trane
05-30-2015, 01:40 AM
^ A lot of people I talk to think the same.

OgtheDim
05-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Lots of people do ;)

Touche

Yohan
05-30-2015, 09:47 AM
I picked non DPs, in no particular order

De Rosario: despite how he left the club, potential for magic was there whenever DeRo was on the field.
Dichio: hard nosed target forward who played for the club with passion yet unmatched by any other player
Robinson: probably best DM in MLS 07-08 season. and a classy man to boot
Marshall: underrated as a steady CB who brought some stability to shambles of a backline.
Frei: about as steady as GK TFC ever had, except for unfortunate injuries
Guevara: annoying as hell diver, but he had magic in his boots. until arrival of Giovinco, probably only true playmaker TFC ever had
Henry: HG kid who was brash at times, but for his age, played well enough
Morrow: about as steady LB in MLS. not much flash, but solid LB. (similar to Todd Dunivant)
O'Brien: until freak injury in 07 season, basically ran TFC offence from RM
Soolsma: lumbering RM who had deceptive first touch and first step on MLS defenders. too bad his career fell out after TFC

prizby
05-30-2015, 10:22 AM
How is Benoit Cheyrou not on anyone's list. I have never seen someone so calm under pressure able to dribble out of double/triple teams in a Toronto shirt

kwhisperer
05-30-2015, 10:36 AM
How is Benoit Cheyrou not on anyone's list. I have never seen someone so calm under pressure able to dribble out of double/triple teams in a Toronto shirt

I haven't done a list but Cheyrou is way up there - behind DeRosario but ahead of just about every other non-DP. Surely top three for me.

Jpexxx
05-30-2015, 10:39 AM
^ I was debating Cheyrou, and wondered if it's too early.

But he's making a case to be one of my all time favs if he can continue to play how he's started for us. Does anyone know his contract length btw?

For me a lot of them have been said already:

1. Guevara - really the first player who really cemented my TFC fandom... oh El Lobo.
2. Brennan - Still proud to wear his jersey every week. I know the opinion on him around here turned eventually, that 2007 season he was TFC to me. Played through everything and almost played every minute. Broken wrist, broken ribs, that screamer vs Columbus.
3. De Ro - Obvious choice. Bled for the team, and I hate how everything went down with him.
4. Kouvermans - Lethal, had he come a year or 2 sooner, he coulda won Golden Boot.
5. Frings - Class. Also maybe a year or two past when he really could have made an impact. But even how he played for TFC made the rest of the team better.
6. Plata - Wish he stuck around. So much fun to watch.
7. Julio Cesar - Well not really. But it still blows my mind he was even here lol.
8. Bradley - Class above.
9. Giovinco - Class above.
10. Altidore - Has potential to make a massive impact in the history of the club.

I think most lists will be missing defencemen lol. Clearly our worst area of almost every team we've put together.
Somebody above put Marshall, I think thats actually a pretty good pick. Maybe Morgan, as he's starting to look more like his old self again, I haven't given up on him.

Jack
05-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I haven't done a list but Cheyrou is way up there - behind DeRosario but ahead of just about every other non-DP. Surely top three for me.
Cheyrou is there, for sure. And I like the role he's playing lately as the anchor of the diamond.

Blowing Bubbles
05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Danny Koovermans would've been way way up the list if he stayed healthy.

molenshtain
05-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Outside of your list and those mentioned above, I'd say these are the players that left the biggest impression on me

Ryan Johnson - scored some absolute screamers in his time
Matias Laba - destroyer of opposition, sorely missed
Nick Soolsma - a tad slow but did everything asked of him
Adrian Cann - massively underrated stalwart at CB
Sam Cronin - Robo's understudy
Joao Plata - what a surprise this guy was.... obvious speed but could taken on defenders 1v1 and put a good ball on net

"soolsma" is actually the dutch word for slow and noneffective.

trane
05-30-2015, 10:02 PM
^ I was debating Cheyrou, and wondered if it's too early.

I think most lists will be missing defencemen lol. Clearly our worst area of almost every team we've put together.
Somebody above put Marshall, I think thats actually a pretty good pick.

I do like Cheyrou and on his play so far would have mentioned him, yes only because he is new, and too me unknown unlike Giovinco and Jozy. I was thinking the same about defenders. Interestingly the three that have been mentioned have been the three that I was also thinking about Cann, Marshall and morrow. Alot of the non-dp players that have been mentioned I also like but most are still getting there, not quite there.

Jack
05-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Morrow a beast again today. Locked down the right side and scored, too.

JavierMartini
05-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Benoit cheyrou is by far the best non-dp player we've had. I'd rate him up there with Guevara.

Nodoubtguy
05-31-2015, 01:33 PM
A few non-DP names come to mind - Frei, DeRo, Guevara, Morrow, Cheyrou. DP's - Bradley, Gio, Defoe, Jozy, Laba, Gilberto.

A few others that I would have loved to see stick around were Urruti and Plata (and maybe Vitti).

nick.mastro
05-31-2015, 01:33 PM
What would you guys put as your all time Starting 11. With all the players we've had, in the best form we've had them.

Kooverman-----------------Defoe
---------------Bradley-------------
giovinco---------------------Dero
---------------Laba----------------
Brennan--Frings--Cann----Morrow
--------------Caesar----------------

Jack
05-31-2015, 04:27 PM
What would you guys put as your all time Starting 11. With all the players we've had, in the best form we've had them.

No Guevara?

Blizzard
05-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Cann I was also thinking about, he definitely was as good a CB as we have ever had, other then the French/African player who played 2 or 3 games and left.

Cann was treated so badly by Marriner after his return from the knee injury. It really was shameful of PM. He got his in the end though of course but he did a lot of damage in his short time as manager.

You're thinking of Olivier Tebily. If he doesn't go back to France for personal reasons, he takes us to the play-offs. He was a huge loss.

Blizzard
05-31-2015, 06:42 PM
No Guevara?

^This!^

PopePouri
05-31-2015, 07:20 PM

It's kinda sad that after 8 years, those are the best CBs we could come up with. I'd add Caldwell there instead of Cann but that's no high praise.

Jack
05-31-2015, 10:13 PM

It's tough to pick like this because some of these guys played so few games here.

While Defoe scored 11 in 19 and Koev 17 in 30, it's so few games. At least Koev embraced being here. Laba only played 16. He was hardly a TFC player and has played more for Vancouver.

trane
06-01-2015, 02:21 PM
A few non-DP names come to mind - Frei, DeRo, Guevara, Morrow, Cheyrou. DP's - Bradley, Gio, Defoe, Jozy, Laba, Gilberto.

A few others that I would have loved to see stick around were Urruti and Plata (and maybe Vitti).

Vitti is a guy I liked, but would not know were to play him, probably like some kind of CM.

Borga
06-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Unless I'm losing my mind, Koevermans was at the game on Saturday.

Jack
06-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Unless I'm losing my mind, Koevermans was at the game on Saturday.
He was back for a match last year and ended up hanging for a bit in 112. He always said he enjoyed Toronto.