PDA

View Full Version : MLS seeks two expansion teams by 2011

mednus
07-24-2008, 04:27 PM
TORONTO -- Major League Soccer Board of Governors approved expanding by two teams by 2011, MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced following Thursday's Board of Governors meeting in Toronto. At the meeting, Commissioner Garber provided updates on prospective expansion markets throughout the U.S. and Canada. Markets reviewed during today's meeting included (in alphabetical order) Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, a second team in the New York area, Ottawa, Portland, St. Louis and Vancouver.
In conjunction with prospective Canadian expansion, MLS officials will work with Toronto FC owners Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, as well as potential expansion candidates, to develop national commercial revenue streams to support expansion into Canada.
MLS officials will issue specific details on the expansion application process within the next seven days.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080724&content_id=175344&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Its gonna be Vancouver and Montreal!

Garber knows that he has BIG problems in the good ol' USA...Its gonna be 2 Canadian Franchises...It will give the league a little more of a North American appeal and more solid footing when looking abroad. There are way toooo many teams in the states that have BIG time problems! Van and Mtl are next..

Sonny Cheeba
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
i don't really think it matters.... if expansion is being done by taking a USL team that is already popular, then an American team has the same good chance as Van and Mtl

so i wouldn't be to surprised if portland is chosen over vancouver.

King Jeff
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I think St. Louis and either Montreal or Vancouver would the two top choices. The 'other' Canadian city would be a back-up plan in case St. Louis can't get its act together.

profit89
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
St.Louis and Montreal

James17930
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't really understand the problem with St. L. Garber said at his State of the League address that their main problem is that they 'don't have a principle owner in place.'

Seems odd. So it's just a big group of many investors right now, but MLS wants one of them to step out in front, take the reins and say 'I'm the principle owner?'

If that's all it is, why are they having so much difficulty? Everyone seems to want it so badly you'd think they'd be willing to make it happen.

S_D
07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
It'll be whoever can bring in the $$$$

If Mtl and Vancouver coming in can convince the Canadian networks to cough up cash for broadcasting rights and have owners with deeper pockets > than what two extra U.S. teams bring in (ESPN Local Broadcasting) then the Canadian cities will be looking good.

King Jeff
07-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I just noticed that Miami didn't even make the shortlist. That's a bit of a surprise, isn't it?

devioustrevor
07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I just noticed that Miami didn't even make the shortlist. That's a bit of a surprise, isn't it?

How so? Miami already failed once and the stadium they played in back then is in the process of being torn down.

Vindaloo
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I really don't see where people get they get the idea that Portland has a chance in hell of getting in before Van, Mont, or anyone else for that matter.

Their owner Merritt Paulson said he'll pay for the $40m expansion fee but the city is on the hook for $55m. This will pay for a refurb of the current - BASEBALL STADIUM - into a soccer stadium. Then the city HAS TO build another baseball stadium for the baseball team that got vacated. I don't think they even know where that will be yet. Jeez, this is just what MLS is looking for???

Their owner has got money but not that much if he can only pay for the expansion fee. This is similar to St Louis where both cities will have rich owners but not billionaire owners(like MLS is looking for) and just have public tax dollars as back up.

Vancouver and Montreal both have facilities in place with backup plans to expand in Montreal, or have a temporary world class facility in BC Place built for 2011 for the Caps. They are still in talks with the Port to build their already planned stadium paid in full by their owner, Kerfoot.

Van and Mont both have rich owners with both securing planned backup investors. Gillett for Montreal and Steve Nash and his business investor group. No tax dollars involved, unlike US based teams.

Broadview
07-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Two Canadian expansion teams would be great just for the sake of watching certain bloggers explode.

NF-FC
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Two Canadian expansion teams would be great just for the sake of watching certain bloggers explode.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/ALX_DYCK/tombstone.jpg
:canada:

kitchener-TFC
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Did anyone else catch the Canadian cities Garber mentioned as possible expansions? I heard Montreal, Vancouver and........OTTAWA!

NF-FC
07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
ya ottawa has been floating around for a month or two. apparently Melnyk is interested in MLS, but he wants to build a stadium in Kanata (boooooooo) next to the arena

Oldtimer
07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
How so? Miami already failed once and the stadium they played in back then is in the process of being torn down.

Miami's latino population is primarily Cuban, not South American. Baseball is their sport.

mednus
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Check out this FOX sports article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8377526/Canadian-expansion-looks-imminent-for-MLS

it almost makes one drunk with joy!!

twistedchinaman
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM

That's a good thing. Miami and Tampa both FAILED.

Montreal and Portland, I'd put money on that.

twistedchinaman
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/ALX_DYCK/tombstone.jpg
:canada:

If it wasn't so macabre...oh to hell with it, LOLZ!

Dirk Diggler
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I just hope that Ottawa isn't granted a franchise. It is probably unfair to them but their sporting history and their population figures just don't add up. The only way a small city like Ottawa can make a case for deserving a franchise is if they had a great history of fans who supported their pro teams....unfortunately that's not the case. In addition, if the stadium is indeed built in Kanata, there will be absolutely no one going to watch the games. Hockey is the king in Ottawa and the Senator fans are constantly complaining about how far the stadium is from the city proper. Even if they have a lot of hardcore soccer fans, there is going to be basically no casuals coming to the game. No way can you fill a stadium like that. The only other stadium development being talked about is the refurbishment of Frank Clair stadium. Unfortunately that is almost certainly going to be used by the new CFL franchise and that will (and should) negate any MLS franchises from playing in the stadium.

rocker
07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
yeah I'd love to see more Canadian teams but Ottawa I dunno ... i'd rather see Edmonton than Ottawa, since Edmonton has had decent attendances in the past for soccer in that cavernous stadium.

Vindaloo
07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
This is going around the net tonight about a press conference tomorrow in Vancouver. It could just be Steve Nash and his business group's investment in WFC with Kerfoot being announced for the expansion bid. Apparently it's at the Pan Pacific Hotel.

MEDIA ADVISORY
Attn: Editors
For Immediate Release: July 24, 2008
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC TO ANNOUNCE FUTURE PLANS
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC will be making a major announcement about the future of soccer in Vancouver and British Columbia.

When: Friday, July 25, 2008
Time: 11:00 a.m.

manic.street.preacher
07-25-2008, 12:17 AM
^^seems like van will be next, but i would looove to see montreal get it, oh the rivalry :D

ilikemusic
07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
My money is on Montreal for 2011 and Vancouver once their stadium actually starts being built.

Keystone FC
07-25-2008, 04:43 AM
I really don't see where people get they get the idea that Portland has a chance in hell of getting in before Van, Mont, or anyone else for that matter.

Their owner Merritt Paulson said he'll pay for the $40m expansion fee but the city is on the hook for $55m. This will pay for a refurb of the current - BASEBALL STADIUM - into a soccer stadium. Then the city HAS TO build another baseball stadium for the baseball team that got vacated. I don't think they even know where that will be yet. Jeez, this is just what MLS is looking for???

Their owner has got money but not that much if he can only pay for the expansion fee. This is similar to St Louis where both cities will have rich owners but not billionaire owners(like MLS is looking for) and just have public tax dollars as back up.

Vancouver and Montreal both have facilities in place with backup plans to expand in Montreal, or have a temporary world class facility in BC Place built for 2011 for the Caps. They are still in talks with the Port to build their already planned stadium paid in full by their owner, Kerfoot.

Van and Mont both have rich owners with both securing planned backup investors. Gillett for Montreal and Steve Nash and his business investor group. No tax dollars involved, unlike US based teams.

DING, DING, DING....We have a winner!

Better yet...would you want this:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/oregon/portland_pge1.jpg

Or This:

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/images/newBCPlace/BCPlace_2010_revised.jpg (http://www.bcplacestadium.com/#)

RealG-TFC
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I would take Ottawa over any US expansion though. They did draw well at the U20 World Cup.

Vindaloo
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM
DING, DING, DING....We have a winner!

Better yet...would you want this:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/oregon/portland_pge1.jpg

Or This:

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/images/newBCPlace/BCPlace_2010_revised.jpg (http://www.bcplacestadium.com/#)

What amazes me is that the $55m that taxpayers in Portland will have to shell out, only $20m will go to renovate that baseball stadium(PGE Park) into a SSS. That's right, completely overhaul a baseball park into some sort of football stadium. The rest of the $35m goes to making a new baseball stadium.

Vancouver is putting in $200-300m to completely transform BC Place into a a stadium that will be a soccer friendly design that will be more intimate than something like Qwest Field in Seattle. But their intended goal is still to build a $100m, 2-tiers on 3 stands, football specific stadium for WFC right on the water, built with private money.

Mark in Ottawa
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Mr. Saputo made a good comment during the all star game. Admitting a USL team would not put an undo strain on the talent pool in the existing MLS as they have a squad of players under contract already. Those players would be available to the MLS teams to sign to replace any players moving over to play in Montreal.

Mr. Saputo said he figured he would only need 4 or 5 existing MLS players to add to the Montreal team to make his franchise competative.

His stadium is soccer specific and built for easy expansion so I wouldn't bet against them getting an MLS invite sooner than later.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Its going to be Vancouver and Montreal! Very Nice I like it a lot!!!

Canary Canuck
07-26-2008, 12:21 AM
The bid everyone keeps forgetting about is Vegas. It's a questionable place to put a team but one thing we've learned from Garber is that money talks and Vegas has the ownership backing that bids like Portland, St. Louis and Miami currently do not. From what's been revealed the ownership group is a bunch of Vegas billionaires who want to build a 500 million dollar retractable roof SSS on or near the strip.

I agree with the above poster that Portland is a long shot. I just don't see the city footing that big of a bill. Miami needs investors but I think it could work if they market to the right communities. They'd probably need to sign a few haitians, Costa Ricans etc. Atlanta is the worst sports town in North America and the south is football country. With all that said I think the best American option might be NY2. I subscribe to the theory that a team actually in New York rather than Jersey will be supported by New Yorkers. It will even help the Red Bulls with the ensuing rivalry. This was a strong case written by MLS Rumors as to why NY2 makes sense.

1. New York City is Different. New York City is an urban, densely populated, mostly car less city. In other words many New Yorkers who live in NYC proper DO NOT OWN A CAR OR DRIVE. This is key to understanding why asking them to make their way to New Jersey is a non-starter. Most New Yorkers thinking of New Jersey as "far". Naming the team that Red Bull bought, New York does not make it so, for that very reason. They might as well be playing in Harrisburg, PA, or on the Moon for that matter. They'd be just as irrelevant as they are now to most of the CITY of New York. This is why RBNY is mostly ignored by the sporting press and off the radar for most fans of the sport in New York City.

2. The Original Plan. Two teams in the New York area was in the original plan for MLS, just as Philadelphia and St Louis was. This explains why the Commissioner, Don Garber has said the same with regards to New York "2" as he has with Philadelphia and St Louis: "It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when." Some see NY2 as Don Garber's pet project, but in reality the plans for a team and derby rival to MetroStars/RedBulls was laid out before a ball was ever kicked.

3. Identity. Because of point #1, the bulk of the people a team in New York City proper would draw from would never have identified with Red Bull New York. The reason as was mentioned above, is cultural. New York is a cosmopolitan, urban, get on the subway/take a train, city. Put a team on the 7 line and you will need to build a 30,000 seat stadium for it. Put it in New Jersey and well.....you see the result. New Yorkers will never identify with something which reeks of New Jersey from the location down to the way the team has historically been promoted as suburban family fun.

4. Economics/Population Density. New York City has been called by Don Garber, MLS's largest untapped market. Why? See point #3 above. With such a large market to draw from MLS would be foolish to pass it up in favor of some other expansion candidates. We have seen very little in the way of New York area soccer fans interested in MLS BECAUSE MLS is not in New York City yet, not the reverse. The same could have been said about Toronto prior to MLS coming. You saw an excellent and vocally pro-USA crowd at the USA vs Argentina match at Giants Stadium but those same people who made up the nearly 80,000 who attended that match either do not know about Red Bull New York or care about Red Bull New York for the simple face that its not in New York. Does this sound small or provincial to you? Perhaps it does, until you realize just how densely packed the city is. At nearly 19 million people New York City to put this in perspective, if New York City were a country in Europe and if it qualified in Euro2008 would be the 7th most populous country in the tournament with a population greater than that of Holland. That's a lot of people. A lot of people with a lot of dollars who currently don't care about MLS. For this reason, contrary to the conventional wisdom of many who can not see past the end of their nose, the 2nd team in the New York Metro area would not "split Red Bull NY's" fanbase. It would likely actually add to their attendance during derby matches with the New York City based team. Likewise, in a derby people would be forced to chose a side and we suspect many New Jersey fans of the sport would throw in their lot with Red Bull.

5. The Borough Boys. Just as Philadelphia and the constant talk about it being in MLS for over a decade eventually spawned a grassroots group of rowdies to drum up support in every corner of the city, then nation, then globe, the constant talk of NY2 has spawned a similar band of brothers known as the Borough Boys. They are in the mold of Philadelphia's Sons Of Ben in that they are fan advocates for MLS in their city and will in the days ahead be increasing their visibility to put the focus on the fact that New York City needs MLS and MLS needs New York City to be truly the league many imagine it to become in the next decade. MLS has the road map, New York City has the interest and money to support the team, the Borough Boys are a catalyst.

Apparently the Mets are interested in buying in and building an SSS across the street from their new baseball stadium.

However, I'm rooting for Van City and the L'imp Act to get in!

Keystone FC
07-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Canary Canuck - The bid everyone keeps forgetting about is Vegas. It's a questionable place to put a team but one thing we've learned from Garber is that money talks and Vegas has the ownership backing that bids like Portland, St. Louis and Miami currently do not. From what's been revealed the ownership group is a bunch of Vegas billionaires who want to build a 500 million dollar retractable roof SSS on or near the strip.

Who? I've never heard of any soccer investors in LV. I have heard that LV was considered and that they approached Garber, but I see it more like Ottawa's bid. Plus, I've never seen or heard of LV being a soccer hotbed (excuse the pun). If they do get a team the stands will be filled with supporters of the opposing club and people who couldn't get tickets to Sigfried & Roy. I don't see a huge fan base for a team in LV even though the town is growing leaps and bounds.

rocker
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Mr. Saputo made a good comment during the all star game. Admitting a USL team would not put an undo strain on the talent pool in the existing MLS as they have a squad of players under contract already. Those players would be available to the MLS teams to sign to replace any players moving over to play in Montreal.

Mr. Saputo said he figured he would only need 4 or 5 existing MLS players to add to the Montreal team to make his franchise competative.

I'm not so sure about that. We saw last year what USL players like Braz do in MLS. I think he's underestimating the difficulty with putting a competitive team together. Then look at San Jose, who has a number of players better than anyone Montreal has and they just can't score.

I'm also not sure if MLS would just let Montreal sign those USL guys. they have to sign with MLS (so they rip up their Montreal contract), and who knows if they'd all want to sign with Montreal if other opportunities open up elsewhere.

boban
07-26-2008, 08:41 AM
How do past stadium issues play a part in a new franchise?

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 08:49 AM

well pasts stadiums may not matter, but they missed their deadline for the new one about a month ago. The city offered up a new SSS to be built next to the new ballpark, but they needed an owner to come forward, and none did. So MLS in Miami=dead (thank god)

noochie
07-26-2008, 08:50 AM

He means that they currently play on a high school gridiron field. They need a plan for a stadium before they even get a sniff at coming back.

boban
07-26-2008, 08:50 AM
well pasts stadiums may not matter, but they missed their deadline for the new one about a month ago. The city offered up a new SSS to be built next to the new ballpark, but they needed an owner to come forward, and none did. So MLS in Miami=dead (thank god)
Ok then. That is an entirely different issue.
Thanks for the update on that.

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 08:56 AM
The bid everyone keeps forgetting about is Vegas. It's a questionable place to put a team but one thing we've learned from Garber is that money talks and Vegas has the ownership backing that bids like Portland, St. Louis and Miami currently do not. From what's been revealed the ownership group is a bunch of Vegas billionaires who want to build a 500 million dollar retractable roof SSS on or near the strip.

The problem with Vegas for any sport is this:

Everyone who lives in Vegas works in the evenings and weekends, the same times the games are being played! It doesn't matter how fast the city is growing, if nobody can get to the games it won't succeed

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 09:01 AM
here's the breakdown the way I see it,

IN:
-Montreal
-Vancouver

ALMOST IN:
-Portland
-St. Louis
-NYII

NO CHANCE:
-Rochester
-Miami

WISH THEY WOULD DIE:
-Atlanta
-Las Vegas

ON THE WAY OUT:
-KKKrew
-Chivas

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
and it's boiling hot!

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Chivas should go to San Diego.

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 09:06 AM
The funniest shit ever is going into the BS Expansion forums. There is seriously threads on MLS to Alabama/Sacramento/etc. It's a laugh-riot to read through those

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM
lol alabama

wuts sawkurr?

ensco
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM

IN:
-Montreal
-Vancouver

ALMOST IN:
-Portland
-St. Louis
-NYII

NO CHANCE:
-Rochester
-Miami

WISH THEY WOULD DIE:
-Atlanta
-Las Vegas

ON THE WAY OUT:
-KKKrew
-Chivas

This list may be what you would wish it to be, but you're not thinking like an MLS suit would. They care about MSA's for TV purposes. Putting Rochester in the same priority with Miami (and above Atlanta) is laughable..

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 09:12 AM
This list may be what you would wish it to be, but you're not thinking like an MLS suit would. They care about MSA's for TV purposes. Putting Rochester in the same priority with Miami (and above Atlanta) is laughable..

well Miami has no stadium. and with atlanta, yes they have a huge tv market, but that doesn't matter if nobody cares about soccer. I truly believe that hockey and soccer in the states share the same market space. look what happened to the NHL when they had the bright idea to spread to the south. I don't want MLS to make the same mistakes.

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 09:15 AM
one market i think everyone is missing the boat on is Minnesota. During the NASL days they had a string of seasons between 28-30,000 avg. attendance. I'd take MLS in St.Paul way before Atlanta or Vegas

Edit* St.Paul currently has no investors or stadium plan, just a great market

BakaGaijin
07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't see a huge fan base for a team in LV even though the town is growing leaps and bounds.

I don't know about the city growing any more. They were one of the hardest hit cities from the credit fiasco in the U.S. You can buy houses there for real cheap right now. That city is in trouble.

Canary Canuck
07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Who? I've never heard of any soccer investors in LV. I have heard that LV was considered and that they approached Garber, but I see it more like Ottawa's bid. Plus, I've never seen or heard of LV being a soccer hotbed (excuse the pun). If they do get a team the stands will be filled with supporters of the opposing club and people who couldn't get tickets to Sigfried & Roy. I don't see a huge fan base for a team in LV even though the town is growing leaps and bounds.

Here's the latest news on Las Vegas: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jul/24/las-vegas-still-running-mls-expansion/

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
The National Sports Center's main stadium is one that hasn't been mentioned. A USL-1 stadium that is home the the Minnesota Thunder located in Blaine Minnesota. It just received a renovation that involved tearing out the track and moving the field 80 ft closer to the main stand, placing bleachers around the other three sides and adding in a beer garden in one end. It seats 12,000, and I believe has a small standing terrace in one section of the main stand, and apperently schematics have been looked at for explansion to 20,000 (the owner would like to move up to the MLS eventually, though thats a ways off). The Complex has 52 regulation pitches as well as an eight rink ice hockey center (4 NHL, 4 Olympic size) a velodrome and 4 baseball diamonds. As far as I know it's the soccer (football) complex on the planet. The site also hosts the Schwans USA Cup, a large youth competition that draws almost 1,000 teams from all over the world annually.

Here is pre renovation shot (the best i could find, no photos around, and I haven't made it up there yet this summer)
http://www.nscsports.org/images/gallery_images/stadium/images/Stadium%20Aerial%201.jpg

Here is a pretty good photoshop of the current site plan
http://www.blueskysoccer.com/mediashare/5v/dd64s2s7dm5r8j6rn3o5orvtyzgvxh-org.jpg

other forum...

Cashcleaner
07-26-2008, 09:01 PM
I actually think Atlanta could get pretty good crowds for soccer. Obviously baseball is
the King of Sports in Georgia, but Atlanta is a lot more cosmopolitan then people are thinking. Let's remember that a group from there met with MLSE last season for some consultation, so I think there are investors (Turner?) lined up.

I'd take Atlanta over Miami anyday of the week.

devioustrevor
07-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I actually think Atlanta could get pretty good crowds for soccer. Obviously baseball is
the King of Sports in Georgia, but Atlanta is a lot more cosmopolitan then people are thinking. Let's remember that a group from there met with MLSE last season for some consultation, so I think there are investors (Turner?) lined up.

I'd take Atlanta over Miami anyday of the week.

I disagree, all of Georgia is football country. Atlanta is no different, despite all the crap with Michael Vick and the team being wretched the Falcons still average over 68,000 fans per game.

I think immigrant dynamic of Miami is intriguing. I wonder if the Miami Fusion before or after MLS dropped all it's rule gimmicks. Miami is home to many Central American and Caribbean groups that soccer would naturally appeal to, but I think Miami would have to be put on the back burner for now to judge just how intensely the property and credit crunch currently going on affects Southern Florida which has been an overheated market for years. Cheap Credit may be largely to blame. Also, I think tourism makes up a massive percentage of the South Florida economy and during recessions expensive family vacations are usually the first thing to go, so their economy make take time to recover.

Hugh Jazz
07-27-2008, 07:08 AM
ya ottawa has been floating around for a month or two. apparently Melnyk is interested in MLS, but he wants to build a stadium in Kanata (boooooooo) next to the arena

He should maybe see how well a team there does in the USL. Perhaps they'd be a good replacement once Montreal leaves.

And if a new stadium gets put in, it'd be a great place for a TFC/Impact friendly, the crowd could be half and half...:p

profit89
07-27-2008, 08:07 AM

IN:
-Montreal
-Vancouver

ALMOST IN:
-Portland
-St. Louis
-NYII

NO CHANCE:
-Rochester
-Miami

WISH THEY WOULD DIE:
-Atlanta
-Las Vegas

ON THE WAY OUT:
-KKKrew
-Chivas

Exactly how i see it.

Keystone FC
07-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Exactly how i see it.

Move the Crew to St. Louis and Chivas to Portland. This would eliminate 2 potential rivals for an expansion franchise and allow Montreal and Vancouver to come in without having to hear the whining from other cities. Plus, this re-establishes the Concordia Cup between Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland in the MLS and brings an old rivalry between these clubs into the MLS.:cool:

maninb
07-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Move the Crew to St. Louis and Chivas to Portland. This would eliminate 2 potential rivals for an expansion franchise and allow Montreal and Vancouver to come in without having to hear the whining from other cities. Plus, this re-establishes the Concordia Cup between Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland in the MLS and brings an old rivalry between these clubs into the MLS.:cool:

Chiva will NEVER leave SoCal...It has a 95% Latino(mostly Mexican) fan base..San Diego is where they'll go if they move.

Beach_Red
07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I truly believe that hockey and soccer in the states share the same market space. look what happened to the NHL when they had the bright idea to spread to the south. I don't want MLS to make the same mistakes.

I think you're right. But the biggest difference may be that a huge number of kids in the states (even, maybe especially) the southern states play soccer and every high school and college has a team. As much as I like hockey, it's just far too expensive for most US high schools to put in an ice surface and have a hockey program - outside of the few northern states where it's already being played.

But soccer is everywhere now.

It might be worthwhile to see what kind of fan numbers NCAA soccer teams are drawing.

Oldtimer
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I think immigrant dynamic of Miami is intriguing. I wonder if the Miami Fusion before or after MLS dropped all it's rule gimmicks. Miami is home to many Central American and Caribbean groups that soccer would naturally appeal to,

Miami's Latino population is mostly Cuban (although there are small numbers of other groups). That means baseball, not soccer.

TFC07
07-27-2008, 12:48 PM

IN:
-Montreal
-Vancouver

ALMOST IN:
-Portland
-St. Louis
-NYII

NO CHANCE:
-Rochester
-Miami

WISH THEY WOULD DIE:
-Atlanta
-Las Vegas

ON THE WAY OUT:
-KKKrew
-Chivas
- Kansas City

FYP.

Canary Canuck
07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I 2nd that. I'm disappointed Kansas City is getting an SSS. I'd rather they just move to St. Louis

RealG-TFC
07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I 2nd that. I'm disappointed Kansas City is getting an SSS. I'd rather they just move to St. Louis

Kanasas has been selling 95% of their tickets. Sure they are playing in a 10 000 seat stadium, but the fact that that many ppl would put up with watching football in a shitty baseball stadium means there is interest. can imagine once they get an SSS the situation will get better.

RealG-TFC
07-27-2008, 01:47 PM
^^^
http://spotted.cjonline.com/images/100023/photos/2008/06/29/gallery/3425378.jpg

http://spotted.cjonline.com/images/100023/photos/2008/06/29/zoom/3425583.jpg

RPB_Brantford_08
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Its gonna be Vancouver and Montreal!

Garber knows that he has BIG problems in the good ol' USA...Its gonna be 2 Canadian Franchises...It will give the league a little more of a North American appeal and more solid footing when looking abroad. There are way toooo many teams in the states that have BIG time problems! Van and Mtl are next..

Montreal ...yes...vancouver No they will have to wait a bit longer yet,until they get there act together on a SSS. there are better soccer markets
still avaiable in the US yet, Portland, St Louis, Miami, then think about Vancouver.

Vindaloo
07-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Vancouver Canucks owner Canucks Sports and Entertainment or it's owner Francesco Aquilini has put in interest for a MLS franchise and met with MLS in April. Either as a partner to Whitecaps owner Kerfoot, or on their own. If this doesn't solidify an MLS ownership for Vancouver then I don't know what would. St Louis or Portland don't have anything close to what is happening in Vancouver with a possible ownership - billionaires' Kerfoot, Canucks Sports and Entertainment, Steve Nash!

Jim Jamieson, Sports Reporter
Published: Sunday, July 27, 2008

According to sources, Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is also interested in investing in the burgeoning MLS, whether as a partner with Kerfoot or through his own expansion franchise bid.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi acknowledged on Saturday that Aquilini and Kerfoot have had infrequent discussions over the past year -- the most recent a couple of weeks ago -- about an MLS franchise for Vancouver.

Aquilini's interest in an MLS franchise makes sense on a lot of levels. Besides having the deep pockets to afford an expansion fee that could be as high as $40 million, the family has long standing expertise in real estate development. As partners, the family could be helpful in solving the red-tape logjam that has kept the waterfront stadium in limbo for four years. As a separate bid they could develop and finance their own stadium.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=45da8ed1-8d69-4e7d-8070-86c8b30b9ced