PDA

View Full Version : Game 9 NER vs. Toronto FC - Saturday 16 May 7:30 pm

Pages : 1 [2]

Eastend
05-16-2015, 08:41 PM
How do you "retweet" or "fav" on here?

Nervie last 10 minutes per usual but good to get the point. MoM is Konopka for me with Cheyrou a really close 2nd.

Dom

Auzzy
05-16-2015, 08:42 PM
LOL Morrow has been very good for us. But now that he's playing out of position he's worse than a PDL player?

Exactly, severe over-reaction.

Bloom seems to be almost back, probably kept off the plastic tonight as a precaution. If he does come back, what do we do with Morgan & Morrow?

TFC07
05-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Bloom seems to be almost back, probably kept off the plastic tonight as a precaution. If he does come back, what do we do with Morgan & Morrow?

Move Morrow as CB to replace Hagglund who has been awful.

Eastend
05-16-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm so sick of hearing Gerry say we got the result.

I'm sick of Gerry saying anything. Are there better footie callers out there? Surely there must be.....

Alonso
05-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Morrow, Haglund and Moore have no place on this team. Embarrassing watching them. Some players from our pdl FC London team can very well replace them..

Justin morrow& hagglund make me cringe.

You guys are way off base or trolling.

They're serviceable men for a capped league.

Take a deep breath.

EDIT: we only get to spend ~ 3 mil on the team not including our DP's... seriously these guys are great team players

portu
05-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Fuck, Perquis. He does not make good decisions sometimes.

EDIT: Bradley once scored 18 in a season in the eredivisie, so he can do the offensive thing; it just hasn't been his role in a while.
Honestly why r u so against Perquisite did the guy rob u or something?

trane
05-16-2015, 08:54 PM
I am not disappointed with this game, even on the goal I do not blame anyone in particular, morgan did the right think, he did not rush, just to get run buy, but let the ball carrier stop and then he cut him off, maybe it could have been a second quicker, but it was all ok, we were lucky at times, but they were more lucky, we could have burried a couple of more. My problem is that we are too good for the record we have.

ronzilla
05-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Konopka saved our ass tonight. If it was bendik, would have lost 3-1.

Bradley, Cheyrou and Giovinco had a great game.

SoccMan2
05-16-2015, 08:56 PM
This team needs another center back to pair with Perquis, Haglund is not the answer neither is Caldwell and while they are at it another right back please, Bloom is nothing special either, remember Bloom was on the back line last year when this team had one of the worst defense in the league and he is average at best, Morrow is a good left back and needs to stay there, not right back or center back, he is a solid left back and that's it. Go rectify these areas of need Mr.Tim B. and maybe just maybe we might have something here, if not then it will be another long season of losses and bad defending.

notthesun
05-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Besides Moore, everyone from midfield on was very good today. Really liking our midfield with Osorio and Warner instead of Findley and Jackson. We're so much better at maintaining possession and it leads to better build up and more chances.

We really, really need to fix our defending on crosses. That would seriously shore things up back there. The Revs created a few chances by going through us but most of the danger was from balls coming in out wide. Even despite the good shot Nguyen got from their late free kick I was shocked they laid that off instead of Tierney whipping in a cross.

Alonso
05-16-2015, 08:59 PM
I am not disappointed with this game, even on the goal I do not blame anyone in particular, morgan did the right think, he did not rush, just to get run buy, but let the ball carrier stop and then he cut him off, maybe it could have been a second quicker, but it was all ok, we were lucky at times, but they were more lucky, we could have burried a couple of more. My problem is that we are too good for the record we have.

Agreed.

This team is making serious improvements.

Gelling time is needed, and I see it happening.

EDIT: Vanney as the coach included in my opinion! Lets settle things down like the the lead in the last stages of a proper game for once!

trane
^ agreed, I really like what I see from Konopka. I think the team was good overall, I am not anti-Perquis but he does seem to do silly things to time to time, like stop running with the ball carrier deep in our box. Zavaleta had one of the best games one of our cbs had this year, against Montreal, and yet he is not given an opportunity.

TorontoFC6fan
If i see Luke Moore in the starting line up for the next game i will lose it.. i rather use a defender on the bench as a striker over this lazy sack of s...

notthesun
05-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Heh, I didn't even realize because Bradley's run was so long, but Giovinco actually assisted that goal.

pdubs
05-16-2015, 09:01 PM
I know people like to shit on Bendik but how many times has he made massive saves for us? Konopka came up big tn but I think Bendik controls the box more and he is a good shot stopper. He is definitely more aggressive on crosses. Again not taking anything away from Konopka but Bendik has saved our ass numerous times in games. Lack of a defense has been our issue for years. If the Nguyen and Fagundez chances go in looks to me like a lot of nights under Bendik. I think we should look to upgrade Bendik once we have our defense sorted out. (CB's).

Anyway good point on the road against a tough team in the conference.

adam1001
05-16-2015, 09:02 PM
We played well at times, but our defence still sucks. Not sure how Luke Moore is still employed as a footballer.

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't care about the result. None of the DPs should have played on that garbage surface.

redisthenewblk
05-16-2015, 09:04 PM
God this board can be so frustrating sometimes.

Lay-off of Morrow ppl! He's playing out of position and is a VERY good left back for us. He's doing what he can in an uncomfortable situation.

Hagglund had a tough game yes. He was clearly working his ass off though and is being asked to do too much given this is only his sophomore year. Why do people willfully ignore the fact that there aren't many options because of injuries? This is the best we got at the moment.

My two cents - this was a massive improvement. hard fought tie for a tough away game, especially given Jozy was out early. We were able to maintain the tie using a more offensive formation, and it looks like the chemistry and fight in the team is starting to build. Really fun game to watch.

And how about Cheyrou? After a few wobbly performances he had a massive game. He did a great job dealing with Nguyen.

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't care about the result. None of the DPs should have played on that garbage surface. MLS needs to do something about that in the near future.. the 1's in Vancouver and Seattle are even worst!

pdubs
05-16-2015, 09:05 PM
I agree with the statement to keep Moore off the field. Rather recall Dike if we can, or use Hamilton. You know their level of effort will be greater and I don't think Moore is more talented then either of them overall. He is good for the odd garbage goal tho.

ag futbol
05-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Time to give Hamilton a shot. He's been with us long enough to get some burn, Moore is offering little, and TFC II couldn't find a striker with a clean pass to save their life (aka he's not getting much out of playing down there).

The only other alternative I see is move findley up top to stretch the field a bit... But not crazy about that one.

notthesun
05-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Armen on twitter:

"Jozy felt something in hamstring, felt enough he felt not good to go but said it's on the very minor side. #TFC"

Very good news if it turns out to be the case.

portu
05-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Armen on twitter:

"Jozy felt something in hamstring, felt enough he felt not good to go but said it's on the very minor side. #TFC"

If you have the game taped go back to around the injury Jozy mouths the word "cramp", I'm not worried

Alonso
If i see Luke Moore in the starting line up for the next game i will lose it.. i rather use a defender on the bench as a striker over this lazy sack of s...

Luke Moore is not lazy.... seriously, he defends more than the average striker.

Take a break from the trolling.

dupont
Armen on twitter:

I am very surprised if that is true. Seemed like a serious injury at the time. I hope so though.

ag futbol
05-16-2015, 09:09 PM
MLS needs to do something about that in the near future.. the 1's in Vancouver and Seattle are even worst!
I don't know about that. Vancouver is replacing theirs after today's game btw...

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Depending on how long Jozy it out. We might have to recall Dike.

dupont
05-16-2015, 09:12 PM
PS that was a very nice road performance against the first place team. I'm extremely happy with it. Yes Konopka had to make big saves but New England was equally lucky that we didn't bury a couple more of our big chances.

pdubs
05-16-2015, 09:12 PM
I am very surprised if that is true. Seemed like a serious injury at the time. I hope so though.

I am hoping he said a big FU to the turf, felt something and didn't want to risk it on that painted concrete.

Gringo Starr
05-16-2015, 09:15 PM
I hope Konopka gets a chance to be number 1. Nothing against Bendik but Konopka seems a far more imposing presence.

great road effort, loved that they went for it against a top club.

if there is an Argos announcement in the next few days hope someone in the press brings up Jozy and turf at the event

Loyal
05-16-2015, 09:15 PM
The biggest problem with Hagglund is he is digressing.....not getting better with game time

Alonso
05-16-2015, 09:16 PM
I don't care about the result. None of the DPs should have played on that garbage surface.

The playing surface, the salary cap at 3 million, and the refereeing are the leagues last three hurdles to becoming top 10 league in the world as they would like.

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:22 PM
The playing surface, the salary cap at 3 million, and the refereeing are the leagues last three hurdles to becoming top 10 league in the world as they would like.

No. Bez and Vanney alone own this one.

You don't race your Ferraris on dirt tracks.

RedsYNWA
05-16-2015, 09:23 PM
konopka is officially better than bendik in my eyes

for sure a big yes

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Hagglund isn't a starter but nobody else has shown the necessary athleticism to play forwards like we see in MLS. Not sold on Zaveletta based on Montreal.

I suspect a CD and a RB are coming in July.

Alonso
05-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Please elaborate

EDIT: never mind, I'm slow.... you always race your Ferraris in the race! Don't you want to win?!? Koevermans on the other hand I wouldn't race because he was a 1978 Ferrari.

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Vancouver is a worse pitch and we played em all there.

Danny K's injury was obviously turf related. Altidore's not so much.

Pookie
05-16-2015, 09:30 PM

But the New England Patriots have some very expensive Ferraris. Is the track really that much of an issue? As far as turf goes, this isn't the plastic pitch of BMO's early days.

RedsYNWA
05-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Perquis was and is a lone man at the back with Hagglund

Man how we could use a decent Cb to partner Perquis

can getting Glik from Torino be a dream??

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:35 PM
If you are going to invest $100M in players, it is a terrible decision to use them in games where there is an obvious likelihood of injury.

In 2000 Greg Popovich shut Tim Duncan down, even though San Antonio was a contender and Duncan and his doctors said he would be able to come back from a knee injury, just because Pop knew Duncan was special and it wasn't worth the long term risk.

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 09:36 PM
But the New England Patriots have some very expensive Ferraris. Is the track really that much of an issue? As far as turf goes, this isn't the plastic pitch of BMO's early days. There's a difference.. soccer is all legs..you don't only have to run and jump but you to kick the ball also.. Jozy pulled up after he ran down the right side and made a cross into the box.. Playing on turf after coming off a hamstring injury is always risky...

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 09:36 PM
But the New England Patriots have some very expensive Ferraris. Is the track really that much of an issue? As far as turf goes, this isn't the plastic pitch of BMO's early days.

True, but the impact is completely different. How many minutes in an NFL game do the players actually spend running around on that surface? Soccer players are running several miles per game, and constantly having to twist and turn on it.

I don't necessarily know if I agree with ensco's philosophy of taking our top players out of the game completely, but it would be an interesting public statement to make (even though I suspect New England would like it just fine).

Bottom line is that the league still allows teams to have turf fields, so you have to deal with it until they don't.

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 09:39 PM

So NE should get the home advanatage of nobody playing their Dp's on their field then? assuming all coaches and Gm's do their jobs?

Shakes McQueen
If you are going to invest $100M in players, it is a terrible decision to use them in games where there is an obvious likelihood of injury.

In 2000 Greg Popovich shut Tim Duncan down, even though San Antonio was a contender and Duncan and his doctors said he could play, just because Pop knew Duncan was special and it wasn't worth the long term risk.

I know Pop has taken starters out of games before, but that's when he knew the outcome was no longer in doubt, or when he wanted to not risk them in pointless games before the playoffs. If they were in a dogfight for a playoff berth, I can't imagine he would sit Duncan, if Duncan was cleared to play.

Richard

So teams should bend over when playing there? I get your reasoning, I know the "Turf monster" is a real thing, but common this is on the league.

Teams have to play players when they think it will be a competitive advantage, we cant have teams afraid of playing their best.

MLS needs to rectify these issues.

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Vanny took the risk and played Jozy because he knew Luke Moore is doo doo.

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:42 PM
All our eggs are in one basket. We have no depth, no Plan B, whatsoever.

pppperkins
05-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Anyone know of TFC supporters forum?

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Atlanta will be turf.

Vancouver will stay turf until they can get out of their contract with BC Place.

NER isn't getting out of turf until Kraft can make serious coin with a SSS somewhere else.

Seattle will remain turf because their whole psyche is tied to that stadium.

Porland doesn't have the cash to change it up. (If they did, they'd be in a SSS by now)

So...turf....its reality in this league.

RedsYNWA
05-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Anyone know of TFC supporters forum?

LOL...

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 09:45 PM

I'd hate to see the world through your eyes.

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:46 PM
I know Pop has taken starters out of games before, but that's when he knew the outcome was no longer in doubt, or when he wanted to not risk them in pointless games before the playoffs. If they were in a dogfight for a playoff berth, I can't imagine he would sit Duncan, if Duncan was cleared to play.

It's not 100% clear whether he could have played

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/AdandeDuncan-120519/nba-playoffs-decision-rest-tim-duncan-2000-injury-pays-off

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Why did we sign Moore is a question we all need to ask. From 2011 to 2015 Luke Moore has only scored 14 goals.. We signed him after he was coming off back to back seasons without a goal:facepalm: 14 goals in 5 years of playing pro soccer. now this is the guy we have to depend on for Goals SMH. The real question we need to ask is can Hamilton really do any worst ?

ensco
05-16-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd hate to see the world through your eyes.

Well, you'd be missing out. I manage assets for a living, have done it for decades.

I am not some kid with a Jedi Warrior lunch box making speeches.

Pookie
05-16-2015, 09:52 PM
I personally don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. I think more study is needed. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating.

But even if there is a difference, academic studies don't support an increased risk for soccer. For example:

CONCLUSION: High-quality studies support an increased rate of ACL injury on synthetic playing surfaces in football, but there is no apparent increased risk in soccer. Further study is needed to clarify the reason for this apparent discrepancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25164575/

As for soccer injuries being more prevalent on turf, it isn't. A major meta analysis of soccer injuries on turf vs grass concluded that there is no increased risk for playing and training on turf and in some cases it looks as though it may be safer.

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2013/06/injury-risk-artificial-turf-vs-natural.html?m=1

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat". Our perception is that it is an increased risk but that isn't validated by the evidence.

jloome
05-16-2015, 09:55 PM
I don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating. And academic studies don't either. For example:

As for soccer injuries being more prevalent on turf, it isn't. A major meta analysis of soccer injuries on turf vs grass concluded that there is no increased risk for playing and training on turf and in some cases it looks as though it may be safer.

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2013/06/injury-risk-artificial-turf-vs-natural.html?m=1

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat".

Bingo.

Fact is, Altidore tweaks his hammy with semi-regularity. He misses part of almost every season with a small muscle pull of one sort of another. GIven that he walked off, that's probably all this is, a precautionary removal to avoid aggravating a longstanding issue.

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Well, you'd be missing out. I manage assets for a living, have done it for decades.

Wasn't saying you weren't intelligent or bringing up points that could could be well debated. You just seem jaded, perhaps after all those decades.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Wasn't saying you weren't intelligent or bringing up points that could could be well debated. You just seem jaded, perhaps after all those decades.

Do you think the team has depth? Do you think they have a plan B?

Instead of just calling him jaded and lamenting the way he sees the world, push back against what he actually said, and prove it.

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Jozy Altidore ‏@JozyAltidore (https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore) 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/status/599761002205437953) Great point on the road, well done to the boys to rally from a goal down! Thank you for your kind messages. I will be back soon

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 10:00 PM
As someone on here said in the past. We blew our load on 3 big players and our depth is USL level.

SKB
05-16-2015, 10:01 PM
I liked the way the team played tonight. Especially in the second half. TFC lost their legs in the last 10 minutes. Great games by Giovinco, Bradley, Charou. Honourable mention to Warner and Osorio. Osorio is good offensively but a real liability on defense. Haglund needs to be on the bench and Moore needs to be replaced. The loss of Altidore not good for the team at all.

jloome
05-16-2015, 10:01 PM
I would only suggest any criticism is somewhat premature until we know the nature of the injury. Even then, sitting Jozy Altidore because we think he's too precious for turf when half of the league has turf fields strikes me as a poor long-term strategy. I would agree we don't really have a plan b, but it's somewhat impossible to have a plan b for a $6-M striker. A guy who played multiple seasons as a premier league starter, has a history as a hold up forward and scored six goals in less than a season for us isn't a bad third attacker.

ag futbol
05-16-2015, 10:03 PM
The raptors don't worry much about their basketball players players playing on hardwood either but that doesn't mean you can play soccer on it.

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 10:03 PM
As someone on here said in the past. We blew our load on 3 big players and our depth is USL level.

If you bothered to watch USL, you'd know that's not true.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 10:04 PM
If you bothered to watch USL, you'd know that's not true.

It's more fun to run around in circles with your hair on fire.

Beach_Red
05-16-2015, 10:06 PM
I personally don't buy the NFL is different than soccer argument for injury. I think more study is needed. Running is running. Pivoting is pivoting. Stopping and accelerating are stopping and accelerating.

But even if there is a difference, academic studies don't support an increased risk for soccer. For example:

The biggest factor appears to be the choice of "cleat". Our perception is that it is an increased risk but that isn't validated by the evidence.

i just googled "NFL turf injuries." Seems it's a big topic of conversation and has been since the beginning of artificial turf 1973, apparently). But NFL players have very little say in the league and nowhere else to play.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 10:08 PM
i just googled "NFL turf injuries." Seems it's a big topic of conversation and has been since the beginning of artificial turf 1973, apparently). But NFL players have very little say in the league and nowhere else to play.

They could always petition McMahon to bring back the XFL.

Alonso
05-16-2015, 10:10 PM
So NE should get the home advanatage of nobody playing their Dp's on their field then? assuming all coaches and Gm's do their jobs?

Exactly. This is the default scenario for the moment.

If the league wants to improve, make real grass mandatory, raise the cap significantly, and hire better and more expensive referees.

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Do you think the team has depth? Do you think they have a plan B?

Instead of just calling him jaded and lamenting the way he sees the world, push back against what he actually said, and prove it.

I meant it in a playful way. I often have disagreements with esco and the majority of the of them are insightful for both sides (hopefully).

But, I do think the team has a bit of depth in certain positions, and Vanney's willingness to adapt tactically indicates our ability to change things mid-game when things aren't working. I don't think he's gotten a tactical shift wrong, even to the extent that it's more likely that he get's things not totally right fromt he outset and adapts well in the second half. It's happened on multiple occasions.

ag futbol
05-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Fair, but realistically that's more about paying guys like Caldwell, Findley, and Cheyrou more than your average player and some poor scouting than it is about our DPs holding us back.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Exactly. This is the default scenario for the moment.

If the league wants to improve, make real grass mandatory, raise the cap significantly, and hire better and more expensive referees.

Easier said than done, with the except of the referees, which could probably be solved in a single season if they really cared enough.

mook-life
05-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Easier said than done, with the except of the referees, which could probably be solved in a single season if they really cared enough.

I feel as long as the teams Garber wants to win win the ref situation won't get better

Ossington Mental Youth
05-16-2015, 10:19 PM
It's more fun to run around in circles with your hair on fire.

Lololol

mowe
05-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Good
Konopka: Man of the match for me, really coming into his own after a few shaky starts.
Cheyrou: Settled in quite well as a number 6 and made good plays all game.
Bradley: Tip of the diamond seems to be his best position. He needs to be involved with our attack and not run around all over the field.

Bad
Hagglund: He consistently ends up on the wrong side of the attacker, always a mistake waiting to happen with him. We badly need to sign a CB.
Morrow: Not at all comfortable on the right. Can't remember the last time he put in a decent cross. Once Bloom comes back we need to move Morrow back to left (unfortunately for Morgan who's been playing well).
Moore: Doesn't add much of anything. All his minutes should go to Hamilton.

Alonso
05-16-2015, 10:21 PM
So teams should bend over when playing there? I get your reasoning, I know the "Turf monster" is a real thing, but common this is on the league.

Teams have to play players when they think it will be a competitive advantage, we cant have teams afraid of playing their best.

MLS needs to rectify these issues.

Agreed.

This is a serious league issue.

MightyDM
05-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Leg injuries are common, and the turf is a hazard, but on it, players need to prepare differently and ought to be wearing appropriate boots. TFC is losing because the team is grossly overrated. Bradley has shown nothing, Laba was a better midfielder. Govinco is brilliant, but cannot win on his own. Altidore is decent, but does not stand out amongst his MLS peers. Every other TFC player is below average. Hence, the inconsistency and mediocrity that we have grown accustomed to.

Happy to call you out on that Chevy. Our roster stands up pretty well against most.

TorontoFC6fan
05-16-2015, 10:24 PM
The raptors don't worry much about their basketball players players playing on hardwood either but that doesn't mean you can play soccer on it.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Joey-Crawford-Trips-and-Falls-Raptors-Hornets-2015.gif

TMAN80
05-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Hi RPB forum, first post, but have followed the team since the beginning(and the forum for a bit too).

Just felt inspired to post this tonight, as I thought the boys played a great game, against a strong opponent in the NER! This is almost exactly the way I was imagining it(win or lose) when we made the signings that we did. I thought the football looked great, better than it has looked in a long long time. I really enjoyed the movement of the ball, the passes being completed, and the pressure they applied to NE. They looked very organized, and dangerous for a lot of the game and I hardly remember a pass to nobody that just rolls out of bounds that has been a little too frequent with this team over the years. This was nice on the eyes, even had we lost, and that is what I want to see. Skill was evident, patience and control seemed...uh...not like our typical game perhaps. Its hard to not think about how Jozy would have impacted the outcome, but none the less I am pleased at the performance. The only criticism I have for the game are the usual concerns, and that is our CB situation(and maybe a winger). Unfortunately, Hagglund is continually exposed and will cost the team valuable points. I am aware there is no other option(and Caldwell might not be either when he returns), but it could be the difference in making the playoffs, or not. Also, I think this formation and player selection(with Altidor) is the exact one we use every game possible! Everybody does what they should, and compliment each other perfectly! It was so obvious tonight. I wonder why(this is of course not common in football) Vanney would not have seen out the game with the starting roster. Might sound crazy, but when the matchup is working so well, and the boys are controlling the play, I think you stick with them! I saw a swing in possession, control and comfort once the subs were made, which tells me NE took advantage of the new match ups. They were subbed in the 80th minute...whats another 13 to see out the game! Oso played the best i've seen him as well!
Anyways, sorry for making this so long, I just kept going!

portu
05-16-2015, 10:27 PM

Don't make me start dreaming of something that will never happen!

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Hi RPB forum, first post, but have followed the team since the beginning(and the forum for a bit too).

Just felt inspired to post this tonight, as I thought the boys played a great game, against a strong opponent in the NER! This is almost exactly the way I was imagining it(win or lose) when we made the signings that we did. I thought the football looked great, better than it has looked in a long long time. I really enjoyed the movement of the ball, the passes being completed, and the pressure they applied to NE. They looked very organized, and dangerous for a lot of the game and I hardly remember a pass to nobody that just rolls out of bounds that has been a little too frequent with this team over the years. This was nice on the eyes, even had we lost, and that is what I want to see. Skill was evident, patience and control seemed...uh...not like our typical game perhaps. Its hard to not think about how Jozy would have impacted the outcome, but none the less I am pleased at the performance. The only criticism I have for the game are the usual concerns, and that is our CB situation(and maybe a winger). Unfortunately, Hagglund is continually exposed and will cost the team valuable points. I am aware there is no other option(and Caldwell might not be either when he returns), but it could be the difference in making the playoffs, or not. Also, I think this formation and player selection(with Altidor) is the exact one we use every game possible! Everybody does what they should, and compliment each other perfectly! It was so obvious tonight. I wonder why(this is of course not common in football) Vanney would not have seen out the game with the starting roster. Might sound crazy, but when the matchup is working so well, and the boys are controlling the play, I think you stick with them! I saw a swing in possession, control and comfort once the subs were made, which tells me NE took advantage of the new match ups. They were subbed in the 80th minute...whats another 13 to see out the game! Oso played the best i've seen him as well!

Welcome to the site! One small piece of friendly advice - might want to break up your thoughts into paragraphs in the future. Makes it a lot easier to read, than a block of text. :D

Again - welcome!

OgtheDim
05-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Just went back and watched the highlights.

Konopka save at around 50 minutes is save of the week so far for me.

And Osorio was gassed when he was taken off. I would have put on Lovitz but then again, the flow of the team was very good from Cheyrou forward.

Alonso
05-16-2015, 10:32 PM

You're probably right, TFC has never dealt with the depth of our squad properly.

That is on MLSE and on all of our sports teams run by them except for the Raptors who have no star players but lots of depth.

MightyDM
05-16-2015, 10:34 PM

Put Morgan on the wing, or as a wing back with five at the back. Sort of 3-5-2

MightyDM
05-16-2015, 10:39 PM
I agree with the statement to keep Moore off the field. Rather recall Dike if we can, or use Hamilton. You know their level of effort will be greater and I don't think Moore is more talented then either of them overall. He is good for the odd garbage goal tho.

Findlay is actually a striker. Just sayin'.........

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 10:40 PM
iI don't think it would be terrible to have a 3-5-2 lineup in our back pocket:

-----------------Koneopka/Bendik------------
-------Hagglund----Perquis----Morrow----
Bloom/Jackson--------------------------Morgan
--------------------Cheyrou---------------------
------Osorio/Warner-----------Bradley--------
-----------Altidore-------Seba-----------------

Basically Puts everyone in a place to succeed, except Bloom maybe.

TMAN80
05-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the site! One small piece of friendly advice - might want to break up your thoughts into paragraphs in the future. Makes it a lot easier to read, than a block of text. :D

Again - welcome!
Yeah sorry, a couple thoughts quickly turned into a few more!

Alonso
05-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Why did we sign Moore is a question we all need to ask. From 2011 to 2015 Luke Moore has only scored 14 goals.. We signed him after he was coming off back to back seasons without a goal:facepalm: 14 goals in 5 years of playing pro soccer. now this is the guy we have to depend on for Goals SMH. The real question we need to ask is can Hamilton really do any worst ?

Well really the question is if he can do any worse...

Moore is very productive for his salary and for expectations...

You are wrong on this one in my opinion.

His salary is justified by his productivity and the league salary cap.

MightyDM
05-16-2015, 10:51 PM

Great, optimistic post! Thank you.

Blixa
05-16-2015, 11:08 PM

Dream on. Glik will join some big club this summer but in a few years I could see him in MLS.

Good game this and begs the question why we couldn't play like this against Houston. Konopka was awesome.

Couchy81
05-16-2015, 11:19 PM
@TMAN

Vanney making subs for the sake of making subs. Agree 100%. Even when we do well the coaching is off.

PopePouri
05-16-2015, 11:23 PM
@TMAN

Vanney making subs for the sake of making subs. Agree 100%. Even when we do well the coaching is off.

I doubt that.

Given the state of the game, there was no point in changing the shape. Here also had a few things to consider like 5 games in 14 days and the work load of the outside midfielders in a diamond, so his subs made a lot of sense.

Couchy81
05-16-2015, 11:31 PM
I doubt that.

Given the state of the game, there was no point in changing the shape. Here also had a few things to consider like 5 games in 14 days and the work load of the outside midfielders in a diamond, so his subs made a lot of sense.

Well I'm not going to say I think he's the coach we need. He does things I dont think work with the flow of the game and it's been multiple occasions. I've made my opinion known before this game.

I love the away point though. Not going to take that away from him.

molenshtain
05-16-2015, 11:37 PM
Well I'm not going to say I think he's the coach we need. He does things I dont think work with the flow of the game and it's been multiple occasions. I've made my opinion known before this game.

I love the away point though. Not going to take that away from him.

But he also does things that regularly change the game in our favor. That can't be forgotten either.

PopePouri
05-16-2015, 11:47 PM
This game made a statement to me out of all the games we've played. I don't know what results may come after this but from what I saw, Vanney looks like he has finally figured out his midfield.

Couchy81
05-16-2015, 11:52 PM
But he also does things that regularly change the game in our favor. That can't be forgotten either.

It's not, as long as we go forwards and not backwards. The last two road games before the home opener were a step in the right direction, the second Canadian Championship game was good, tonight was good too. Being positive is good but rational criticism is also worth discussion.

Dreadlocks
05-16-2015, 11:52 PM
The team looks much better with Osorio and Warner than it does with Jackson and Findley.

I'll take the point.

reggie
05-17-2015, 12:30 AM
great to get a point last night..but the d is still a shite show.

Brooker
05-17-2015, 12:45 AM
Woulda ripped your hand off for a point tonight. Quite pleased.

dupont
05-17-2015, 12:55 AM
With all the missed chances, New England was lucky to escape with 1 point at home. Very pleased.

jiforio
05-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Getting a point after your 5th game in two weeks is not something to be unhappy about. However playing on shite turf sucks. Just thinking about turf coming to BMO field makes my stomach churn. Also losing Altidore really sucks. Vanney's job being on the line is forcing him to overwork too many players, including our DP's and Hagglund. They need rest! Got to give it to the General though. Bradley's pushed through this tough schedule, which included heavy criticism throughout and even came away with an incredible goal in his fifth game! Clearly showing once again why Laba (losing a step in his game and is apparently relentlessly fouling everyone) and Beckerman (physically breaking down and subbed out at 60min. last game) aren't worthy of filling in his shoes. In soccer just that little bit of extra quality is what the big bucks are paid for. And I completely agree. We need to stop wasting our time with Luke Moore. Laziest player on the field hands down. It's really evident during home games, Vanney's out to lunch not being able to see this (which I noticed last year right away) and to keep on playing him this season. Moore is also making a pretty penny as well for his half hearted attempt to score goals. At this point it's gotten so bad that I'd almost like to see Chad Barret in his place?!!? At least you know you'll get some good work ethic.

Ultra & Proud
05-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Well really the question is if he can do any worse...

Moore is very productive for his salary and for expectations...

You are wrong on this one in my opinion.

His salary is justified by his productivity and the league salary cap.
I expect people who make 3x my salary to work like I do, even if I only see them do a max of 90 minutes a week. With Moore I see nothing. He can score garbage goals and I will give him that. Otherwise give me Wiedeman, who we all know is shite but on a proper squad, can run down the ball and harass defenders if and when we have a lead. So in short, he has a purpose. Moore, minus his garbage goal-isms offers nothing. Moore is loafer. His biggest contribution this season so far is apathy.

Pookie
05-17-2015, 06:14 AM

Futsal?

ensco
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM
The turf kills teams in MLS. Sure. No one knows this better than us, our 2007 and 2008 teams got destroyed by injuries on turf.

So we know that as a fact.

Our strategy on roster composition and utilization should reflect that fact.

backbeat
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM

we didn't blow our load on 3 big players - we have 3 DPs like many teams do and if a 4th DP spot opens up in the summer we'll hopefully have another. there is a fixed cap hit to DPs so i don't see that as an issue.

building depth - yes - to date that has been an issue. i do see a team today that is in better shape depth-wise but has a ways too go to stay top of the league in the longer run. hopefully we'll see some of that happen in the summer window.

anyway i have to say that was the brightest game i've seen TFC play this year - they look energized and lively - i felt much happier watching this game than in quite some time and i thought Oso and Warner were better options but i agree a stud CB and winger would be great additions.

TFC Tifoso
05-17-2015, 08:06 AM
great road point for TFC.....hopefully Jozy isn't out for long....

Konopka was MoM without a doubt.....I'd like to see him take over the gloves moving forward.....I liked what I've seen from him since the first game he played....a keeper that actually comes off his line to punch balls out and challenge shooters, unlike Bendik who is Krazy-Glued to his goal line......sure Konopka has his flaws, but every keeper in MLS does....to me his positives far outweight Bendik's as well as his own negatives.....I understand the "can't lose your spot to injury" line, but Bendik got it that way over Frei, and its time to do it again imo.......

good for Bradley to get a goal.....hopefully this will get him in gear......

One thing I loved to see from Cheyrou late in the game......Hagglund got burned in the box and NE put the ball just past the post......Hagglund put his head in his hands like a "I almost blew it", and Cheyrou went up to him quickly to tell him to stop it and chin up......love to see stuff like that.....well done by Cheyrou!

and of course, Giovinco is not a footballer......he's a magician......

ag futbol
05-17-2015, 09:17 AM
^ I think you've nailed it. While nobody will say knopka is as spectacular a shot stopper as Bednik, his positioning generally seems better. Normally when someone rounds our defender or some space is left behind I get very nervous. Knopka handled those moments well.

Now that being said, let's see if he can keep this up. But he's more than proven himself as a capable backup though.

Blixa
05-17-2015, 09:37 AM
The notion of turf coming to BMO makes my blood boil.

TFC Tifoso
05-17-2015, 09:51 AM
^ I think you've nailed it. While nobody will say knopka is as spectacular a shot stopper as Bednik, his positioning generally seems better. Normally when someone rounds our defender or some space is left behind I get very nervous. Knopka handled those moments well.

Now that being said, let's see if he can keep this up. But he's more than proven himself as a capable backup though.

Konopka did quite the job stopping them last night though......how long had it been since he played when he took over for Bendik?......a year and a half I think....that was a lot of rust.....but he does a lot of things that to me Bendik doesn't.....and I'd guess that the defense appreciates when a keeper helps them out like that instead of doing nothing then yelling at them when the ball goes in the net......

Cashcleaner
05-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Watched the game in Peterborough with the group out there (Reds of PTBO). I think I was one of the few people who came into this match with at least a modicum of optimism despite or record playing in Foxboro. I think a win was within our reach, but I'll take the draw without grumbling. It was a pretty chaotic first half or so with those two goal post stops so if but for a matter of inches, we could have had a very different result either way. I think Konopka had a pretty good game, and Bradley was running all over that pitch non-stop. Agree with a lot of comments about Hagglund - he still needs working on. But all-in-all, I'm content with the result we got. Just really hope Jozy can recover quickly and get him back on the pitch.

jloome
05-17-2015, 10:26 AM
The turf kills teams in MLS. Sure. No one knows this better than us, our 2007 and 2008 teams got destroyed by injuries on turf.

Who are you trying to convince, Ensco? You know that doens't qualify as a "fact". We could as easily argue that having a trainer who didn't understand MLS led to our players being massively overworked; Again, a report citing studies of comparative surfaces at least has some weight behind it. People repeatedly saying "people get injured, so turf is bad" do not. I could just as easily note that more than half the team didn't get hurt on turf, so it's safe, and it would be about as scientific.

dupont
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
One thing I loved to see from Cheyrou late in the game......Hagglund got burned in the box and NE put the ball just past the post......Hagglund put his head in his hands like a "I almost blew it", and Cheyrou went up to him quickly to tell him to stop it and chin up......love to see stuff like that.....well done by Cheyrou!

Yes, that was very cool! Hagglund was also the one that did the horrible giveaway leading to them getting to the box as well. So it's great to see a teammate encouraging him even after a terrible play like that to get his head back into the game.

Canary10
05-17-2015, 04:41 PM
We got a good point on the road with a number of injuries. Not sure why so many are talking about how bad the team depth is. No worse than 80% of the teams in this league.

MightyDM
05-17-2015, 07:02 PM
We got a good point on the road with a number of injuries. Not sure why so many are talking about how bad the team depth is. No worse than 80% of the teams in this league.

i agree with you. Beyond the DP's, Cheyrou is excellent, Morrow very good, and Perquis, Jackson, Warner, Findlay, Oso (in the right position), Morgan (this year), and the goalies are all MLS calibre. Jury a bit out on Hagglund, Moore and Crevealle right now. But all an upgrade from 2013 to say the least.

burlington Red
05-17-2015, 07:15 PM

I would never admit that

burlington Red
05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Who are you trying to convince, Ensco? You know that doens't qualify as a "fact". We could as easily argue that having a trainer who didn't understand MLS led to our players being massively overworked; Again, a report citing studies of comparative surfaces at least has some weight behind it. People repeatedly saying "people get injured, so turf is bad" do not. I could just as easily note that more than half the team didn't get hurt on turf, so it's safe, and it would be about as scientific.

ouch, that's a row I'd like to see, an assets manager v a news reporter, two proper tough working class lads sorting it out old school

ag futbol
05-17-2015, 09:38 PM
I'm not so sure. I feel like half the teams have a more serviceable 3rd CB than we do and more dynamic options off the bench. When we look to the subs bench, it's either a relief because the guy who started is doing so poorly or we start watching through our fingers to make sure the replacement doesn't completely fall flat.

It boggles my mind that NE can bring Rowe and Fagundez off the bench.

Mateo1985
05-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Have there been any updates in regards to Jozy's injury? I haven't seen anything yet.

Ultra & Proud
05-17-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm not so sure. I feel like half the teams have a more serviceable 3rd CB than we do and more dynamic options off the bench. When we look to the subs bench, it's either a relief because the guy who started is doing so poorly or we start watching through our fingers to make sure the replacement doesn't completely fall flat.

You watch the Galaxy match today?

PopePouri
05-17-2015, 11:44 PM

Even better, they could have brought on the powerhouse known as Jeremy Hall.

Joking aside, Farrell hasn't been great at CB and there's a reason why they moved Jones to the backline.

We had Creavalle and Jackson on our bench and let's not forget they helped their respective teams to Gold Cup finals as starters. There are many factors to why a player might play crap for us.

ag futbol
05-18-2015, 12:44 AM
Even better, they could have brought on the powerhouse known as Jeremy Hall.

Joking aside, Farrell hasn't been great at CB and there's a reason why they moved Jones to the backline.

We had Creavalle and Jackson on our bench and let's not forget they helped their respective teams to Gold Cup finals as starters. There are many factors to why a player might play crap for us.
Considering Hall has played a total of one game this season, I think the chance of that is pretty low. Jackson is okay. Creavalle is awful, let's not dance around it. Farrell playing at CB is pretty much the equivalent of Morrow in there. Not ideal, i agree. None the less beyond the first 11 I'd take what they've got to deal with over us.

Joe Kool
05-18-2015, 01:16 AM
I liked what I saw from Simonin before he got hurt. I think he could have challenged Hagglund for the spot pretty easily. Too bad we never found out if he could yet. Seems like we are stuck with Hagglund as a starter for now.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 08:05 AM
i agree with you. Beyond the DP's, Cheyrou is excellent, Morrow very good, and Perquis, Jackson, Warner, Findlay, Oso (in the right position), Morgan (this year), and the goalies are all MLS calibre. Jury a bit out on Hagglund, Moore and Crevealle right now. But all an upgrade from 2013 to say the least.

Um, you realize that was plural, right? That would include Bendik. Just keeping score for you.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 08:07 AM
The notion of turf coming to BMO makes my blood boil.

Not turf. Desso Grassmaster is what they've been shopping for. Picture plastic hair plugs surrounding real grass.

It's better, but not good enough.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Watching highlights last week really pointed out how much difference the bouncy turf gives home team advantage. It also inspires simple football.

OgtheDim
05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Watching highlights last week really pointed out how much difference the bouncy turf gives home team advantage. It also inspires simple football.

Another reason why I think Petke goes to Portland in the late summer. Porter doesn't play simple.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 08:53 AM

SMH indeed. We signed Luke Moore to compliment the smaller, faster strikers that we paid a lot more for. If he was scoring in the good league he came from he wouldn't have come for the money he did.

Depend on him for goals? Yeah like 1 every 4 games like he did last year with 2 DP strikers ahead of him in the roster. He's overdue by a game unless you count his one actual start of the year and then he should have even more slack.

You don't like the way he plays. You're not alone but to look at his stats and say he didn't do enough last year is laughable.

Again, Hamilton will get his chance. He's young. He shouldn't be rushed. There is plenty of room on this team this summer for both of them to get minutes.

ensco
05-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Imagine what our record would have been the first three years without the "Fortress BMO" effect

Ajax TFC
05-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Not turf. Desso Grassmaster is what they've been shopping for. Picture plastic hair plugs surrounding real grass.

It's better, but not good enough.
It's good enough for some of the biggest stadiums in the world like, Wembley, Anfield, Emirates, WHL, De Kuip, etc. I'm not sure why it's not good enough for BMO.

shwade
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
It's good enough for some of the biggest stadiums in the world like, Wembley, Anfield, Emirates, WHL, De Kuip, etc. I'm not sure why it's not good enough for BMO.

How does that turf hold up with our winters?

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Which gridiron teams play there all season? Seriously don't need to do this in this thread as well. The Argos to BMO thread will get enough tread this week.

Ajax TFC
05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Which gridiron teams play there all season? Seriously don't need to do this in this thread as well. The Argos to BMO thread will get enough tread this week.
I thought we were just talking about the surface itself with regards to what it's like to play soccer on. Agreed, we don't need to talk about how the Argo will affect it in this thread

Ajax TFC
05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
How does that turf hold up with our winters?
Not sure why it would do any worse than any other grass.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Not sure why it would do any worse than any other grass.

Glad we've found the common ground.

I'm trying to clear up the misunderstanding when I see it.

We are not having to consider turf. It's Desso and it's fine. It's just what comes with it.

Jack
05-18-2015, 12:30 PM
SMH indeed. We signed Luke Moore to compliment the smaller, faster strikers that we paid a lot more for. If he was scoring in the good league he came from he wouldn't have come for the money he did.

Depend on him for goals? Yeah like 1 every 4 games like he did last year with 2 DP strikers ahead of him in the roster. He's overdue by a game unless you count his one actual start of the year and then he should have even more slack.

You don't like the way he plays. You're not alone but to look at his stats and say he didn't do enough last year is laughable.

Again, Hamilton will get his chance. He's young. He shouldn't be rushed. There is plenty of room on this team this summer for both of them to get minutes.

Rational and objective. Thank you.

Jack
05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
14 goals in 5 years? Sure, you could look at it that way. But last year he scored six of them. If he equals that production this season as a backup, then those are serviceable numbers for a bench forward in this league.

nfitz
05-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Why did we sign Moore is a question we all need to ask. From 2011 to 2015 Luke Moore has only scored 14 goals.. We signed him after he was coming off back to back seasons without a goal:facepalm: 14 goals in 5 years of playing pro soccer. now this is the guy we have to depend on for Goals SMH. The real question we need to ask is can Hamilton really do any worst ?So what you are saying is that Luke Moore had a better record in his previous league coming to TFC than Altidore?