PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC fans confronted by City News reporter following vulgar on-camera remark

Pages : [1] 2 3

DOMIN8R
05-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Reporter Shauna Hunt is sick of having her interviews interrupted, so she finally did something about it (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/11/toronto-fc-fans-confronted-by-city-news-reporter-following-vulgar-on-camera-remark?)

Not our proudest moment.:nono:

:red:
Sometimes, light is the best disinfectant.:smash:

OgtheDim
05-11-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Idiots doing something like this should be made 2 sit down with female members of their own family 2 explain and then have their Moms, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, wives, & daughters tell them how this makes them feel.

This is not funny.

This is not cool.

This is not macho.

This shames TFC.

This shames every woman these guys know.

If you did this, take off the shirt and don't come back.

You crossed the line.

Get the fuck out of my stadium.

BAN EM.

Red4ever
05-11-2015, 06:31 PM
It shames him. I doesn't shame us. I have nothing to do with any drunk idiot who says anything under the name of the team or city I support.

I don't disagree that it's dumb, but his face is out there and he'll pay professional price for it. TFC shouldn't touch it.

Maybe he and Liz May can commiserate tonight.

Jack
05-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Sigh...

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Idiots doing something like this should be made 2 sit down with female members of their own family 2 explain and then have their Moms, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, wives, & daughters tell them how this makes them feel.

This is not funny.

This is not cool.

This is not macho.

This shames TFC.

This shames every woman these guys know.

If you did this, take off the shirt and don't come back.

You crossed the line.

Get the fuck out of my stadium.

BAN EM.

It's not your stadium. but come on. I was expecting something more to this. FHRITP is a common news troll that has been trending for what 2 years now? I think news reporters should get over themselves. It's a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7-nzLx4Oa0 > This is what he was copying

OgtheDim
05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Its sexist harassment shit. Its not a joke.

Again, people should ask female family members what they would think of them saying that on camera.

It crosses the line and must be stopped. As others have said, this happens all over the place. It has to stop.

Jack
05-11-2015, 06:40 PM
It's not funny. But it gets attention, which is what these douches love.

molenshtain
05-11-2015, 06:40 PM
it's so boring and aggressively not funny. I don't understand the point of it.

The guys a dick either way.

shwade
05-11-2015, 06:46 PM
This may be funny to a 13 year old boy or the frat boy crowd but it's pathetic from old man-children. Grow up.

TFC07
05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Wow, just wow.

This what happens when you got too much beer.

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Its sexist harassment shit. Its not a joke.

Again, people should ask female family members what they would think of them saying that on camera.

It crosses the line and must be stopped. As others have said, this happens all over the place. It has to stop.

You cant expect everyone to conform to one sense of humor. It's not sexist nor is it harassment. It is a joke.

aajking
05-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Hah, I sat 2 rows up from that guy at the game (red & blue checkered shirt). First thing my buddy said when he saw him was "Wow, that guy looks like a douche!"

shwade
05-11-2015, 07:01 PM
You cant expect everyone to conform to one sense of humor. It's not sexist nor is it harassment. It is a joke.

A joke to those who like their humour a little rape-y and basic.

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I really don't get the witch hunt. Some posts in this thread of banning, charges ect sound like an Orwellian feminist wet dream. It's absurd.

A joke to those who like their humour a little rape-y and basic.

Nothing like feminist creep in society to marginalize rape to the point where everything is now rape and can be conflated with raping. LOL

CBTFC
05-11-2015, 07:12 PM
The thing about Elizabeth May is that she spoke the truth.

OgtheDim
05-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Again, I would strongly suggest anybody who thinks its a joke should show the video to female family members and then ask them what they think...and then shut up and listen. Nor is this about feminism or political correctness.

As for harassment, it meets every protocol I've ever seen within HR practices that can be used for terminating somebody under that purpose. I would not hesitate to do so if an employee of mine did this and that report was aired on TV.

This arguement is going to get ugly soon.

Glad it was shown.

I'd close the thread quick mods.

Red4ever
05-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Again, I would strongly suggest anybody who thinks its a joke should show the video to female family members and then ask them what they think...and then shut up and listen. Nor is this about feminism or political correctness.

As for harassment, it meets every protocol I've ever seen within HR practices that can be used for terminating somebody under that purpose. I would not hesitate to do so if an employee of mine did this and that report was aired on TV.

This arguement is going to get ugly soon.

Glad it was shown.

I'd close the thread quick mods.

So you've both made your point and thusfar done so respectfully.

I don't see a need to close the thread while discussion is civil.

TFC07
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Can we all agree that this prank is stupid? I don't think banning these guys is going to stop people doing this prank. If anything, CityNews just made themselves as target to get more guys to do this prank on them especially when Shauna Hunt is interviewing someone.

Jack
05-11-2015, 07:34 PM
It definitely has a harassment element to it. Would you find it funny if some random drunken stranger interrupted you while at work with something like this? Right in the middle of a presentation or something? It's immature and a dick move, regardless of whether you consider it sexist or not.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I get that FHRITP has been used against male and female reporters (though lets get real here - it's used far more often against female field reporters), and is (ideally supposed to be) more about fucking with live news pieces, but it's time for this meme to die already.

It makes all TFC fans look like puerile creeps, and it makes female reporters uncomfortable, even when they understand "the joke". That is 100% unacceptable.

If you see people behaving like this, maybe politely tell them to grow the fuck up.

prizby
05-11-2015, 07:44 PM
I emailed my SSH rep calling for their ban; I encourage everyone else to do the same

Hah, I sat 2 rows up from that guy at the game (red & blue checkered shirt). First thing my buddy said when he saw him was "Wow, that guy looks like a douche!"

section/row

Red4ever
05-11-2015, 07:48 PM
I emailed my SSH rep calling for their ban; I encourage everyone else to do the same

section/row

You wanna be the language police? Especially based on what is said in the supporter's section let alone what is said walking out of the stadium. That's a slippery slope no matter how dumb/disrespectful/shameful that guy is.

Batman
05-11-2015, 07:48 PM
effing jerks.. I posted this elsewhere before I noticed this thread. This really pissed me off.
Acting like this with a smug look on their faces while wearing our kit.
Man, low class idiots.
I'd love to see them get their seats revoked. Disgraceful.

DOMIN8R
05-11-2015, 07:55 PM
From the Canadian Human Rights Commission......

Harassment is a form of discrimination. It involves any unwanted physical or verbal behaviour that offends or humiliates you. Generally, harassment is a behaviour that persists over time. Serious one-time incidents can also sometimes be considered harassment.

When I see these guys speak to their GFs, sister, mothers and grandmothers like that, out in public, then I will consider them to have an intellectual, behavioural or other mental health issues that interfere with their good judgement. IMO - only then might we consider giving them a "pass" and differ the problem to the mental health community. Until then, they are engaging in sexually harassment.

*stepping off my soapbox now*:rant:

I'm very pleased that this is being openly discussed in this thread. It's important to get his out in the open.

portu
05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
You wanna be the language police? Especially based on what is said in the supporter's section let alone what is said walking out of the stadium. That's a slippery slope no matter how dumb/disrespectful/shameful that guy is.
I agree, this is definitely a slippery slope here, there are some nasty things said in the stands. Where do we draw the line? I have to say though what was said was totally stupid

kwhisperer
05-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Good on the reporter - she has every right to call these dickheads out. They wanted to get some airtime and they got a little more than they bargained for.

Red4ever
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Good on the reporter - she has every right to call these dickheads out. They wanted to get some airtime and they got a little more than they bargained for.

This.

Probably the best point yet. These guys are going to get famous, quick. TFC will be the least of their worries.

aajking
05-11-2015, 08:21 PM

section/row

207, he was in row 15 or 16.

khso11
05-11-2015, 08:22 PM
I honestly don't get what is so funny about this. Repetitive, disrespectful, sad, not cool.

Red CB Toronto
05-11-2015, 08:34 PM
What this actually has to do with TFC is, what nothing. Yes it is unfortunate the dicks say this type of crap all the time on air, any station doing a live hit is taking a chance of something happening. Sometimes it can be as simple as a few swear words. But bringing this into the TFC world is something I really do not want to see. Yesterday was a good one, with us all back at BMO so lets not soil it with this.

It is important issue as no one deserves to be faced with it, but just because they had a TFC jersey on, does not make it a TFC thing, MLSE should just give this guys the attention.

jabbronies
05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
One of them is an Arsenal fan, so you know what kind of douche he is.

I kid, I kid, but seriously...

I don't think calling TFC rep to complain will do anything positive for this situation.

I think the best solution for something like this is a good ol' public shaming - makes them look dumb in front of their families, friends and employers.

eustacchio
05-11-2015, 09:22 PM
I think it's less to do with the language and much more to do with sexually harassing women and making them feel uncomfortable while they try to do their jobs. Some people have actually been charged in some places. It's ridiculous how often people do this.

Oh, and did you know that the original clips were fake? (There's obviously some language in this so probably NSFW for most people.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqXqtERHQM

habstfc
05-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Unless this woman is 6'0 tall these guys are little fucking twerps. Anybody defending these mental midgets or their comments are fucking idiots.

These guys are SSH why don't we find out where they sit and ridicule them? Just a thought.

This video has gone viral Methinks some people might be losing their jobs.

ChrisFizik
05-11-2015, 09:34 PM
not happy about being dragged into this when clearly (hopefully it is clear to everyone here) it is not representative of our core supporters. People are shocked mostly and good on the reporter for nailing them, but as yellow jersey guy displayed, a contingent out there think it's no big deal... younger generation take heed.... Good to get some publicity about the unacceptable nature, just hope not too much on our backs (and tfc FO takes care of it)

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 09:38 PM
I think it's less to do with the language and much more to do with sexually harassing women and making them feel uncomfortable while they try to do their jobs. Some people have actually been charged in some places. It's ridiculous how often people do this.

Oh, and did you know that the original clips were fake? (There's obviously some language in this so probably NSFW for most people.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqXqtERHQM

Yup, they are all fake, I think they are hilarious because most people who do it don't even realize it....

It has nothing to do with sexual harassment. It's all about interrupting live broadcasts regardless if the reporter is male or female. Moreover the reporters workplace would be the TV station. If this guy went into the TV station, to the reporters desk and interrupted her working it would be a completely different story. Also The only places where people have been charged for these types of things have hypocritical restrictions on freedom of speech usually advocated on the behalf of feminazi's or religious figures......

Also any person on here who chants vulgar chants in the stadium then calls for this guy to be banned is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 09:39 PM
not happy about being dragged into this when clearly (hopefully it is clear to everyone here) it is not representative of our core supporters. People are shocked mostly and good on the reporter for nailing them, but as yellow jersey guy displayed, a contingent out there think it's no big deal... younger generation take heed.... Good to get some publicity about the unacceptable nature, just hope not too much on our backs (and tfc FO takes care of it)

Are you the speech police now? What is acceptable and unacceptable speech? Such is a very slippery slope to push the boulder over.

TFC07
05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
This isn't as uncommon as I originally thought.

I wouldn't post videos on here, but I have seen videos of World Cup soccer fans and a Maple Leaf fan (he probably did prank the best) doing this prank live on Toronto news channels.

denime
05-11-2015, 10:00 PM
IDIOT,period

eustacchio
05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Yup, they are all fake, I think they are hilarious because most people who do it don't even realize it....

It has nothing to do with sexual harassment. It's all about interrupting live broadcasts regardless if the reporter is male or female. Moreover the reporters workplace would be the TV station. If this guy went into the TV station, to the reporters desk and interrupted her working it would be a completely different story. Also The only places where people have been charged for these types of things have hypocritical restrictions on freedom of speech usually advocated on the behalf of feminazi's or religious figures......

Also any person on here who chants vulgar chants in the stadium then calls for this guy to be banned is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

I understand that the motive of the perpetrators is to interrupt the live broadcast and not necessarily to harass people. In fact, that's what the guys in that video were (sort of) saying. That doesn't mean it's not harassment just the same.

I also didn't say it was work place harassment, I said they were being harassed while working. You can't argue that the reporter wasn't working.

GlenM
05-11-2015, 10:30 PM
One of them is an Arsenal fan, so you know what kind of douche he is.

I kid, I kid, but seriously...

I don't think calling TFC rep to complain will do anything positive for this situation.

I think the best solution for something like this is a good ol' public shaming - makes them look dumb in front of their families, friends and employers.

Why don't you find out the person's name who's the douche, not name a club a douche just saying?

And Yes, I agree every team has an ahole supporter but that's the person not the club.

These people in the video are douches.

The club\fan supporter person and others you're referring to don't look familiar within our TFC supporters or other fan clubs.

I would personally have a word with him if I knew or saw him or the others.

I do agree with you in some respects.

That's not cool.

GlenM

OgtheDim
05-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Saying the tapes are fake does not excuse this behaviour. The reality of what happens on the street with these incidents is harassment. And this happens again and again and again.

That faked tapes are used as a justification to say what are clearly hurtful and unwanted things to others is to me a far worse slippery slope then any danger of thought being banned. Faked media existance does not justify such activities.

Like it or not, we do not have the right in this country to say whatever we want whenever we want. That's the contract we enter into in order to live here. The norms of the internet may have us believe we can say anything to anybody but twitter is not the judge here. The courts have indicated otherwise.

This behaviour is harassment, as defined in the human rights code and in labour law. i.e. You couldn't do this anywhere you work, nor can you do this to any adult outside of the privacy of a consensual relationship. The issue of harassment here can not be denied. Don't like it, take it up with the politicians.

BTW, a reporters workplace is everywhere they are paid to be. Not just the newsroom. They have the freedom to do their job without fear of sexual harassment. That's the law.

And deploring this is not being feminist or religious. Its demanding that we treat people with respect. Shouting what those people shout can not be justified in our society.

Again, I would urge anybody who thinks this is OK to sit down with their Mom, wife, sister, aunt, daughter - whomever they are related to who is a woman - and show them the video of this event and then simply ask what they think of what was said. I know very well that some women will have a different opinion then I do on this. I've had those discussions about such things in the past. I also know that the answers to thinking about these things are not easy, not black and white and challenge personal behaviours and personal codes of conduct that we are not always aware of. Regardless, this is NOT behaviour that is tolerated in this society for a reason. If people don't know what those reasons are, ask those directly involved - just don't deplore those who decry this behaviour.

Red CB Toronto
05-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Saying the tapes are fake does not excuse this behaviour. The reality of what happens on the street with these incidents is harassment. And this happens again and again and again.

That faked tapes are used as a justification to say what are clearly hurtful and unwanted things to others is to me a far worse slippery slope then any danger of thought being banned. Faked media existance does not justify such activities.

Like it or not, we do not have the right in this country to say whatever we want whenever we want. That's the contract we enter into in order to live here. The norms of the internet may have us believe we can say anything to anybody but twitter is not the judge here. The courts have indicated otherwise.

This behaviour is harassment, as defined in the human rights code and in labour law. i.e. You couldn't do this anywhere you work, nor can you do this to any adult outside of the privacy of a consensual relationship. The issue of harassment here can not be denied. Don't like it, take it up with the politicians.

BTW, a reporters workplace is everywhere they are paid to be. Not just the newsroom. They have the freedom to do their job without fear of sexual harassment. That's the law.

And deploring this is not being feminist or religious. Its demanding that we treat people with respect. Shouting what those people shout can not be justified in our society.

Again, I would urge anybody who thinks this is OK to sit down with their Mom, wife, sister, aunt, daughter - whomever they are related to who is a woman - and show them the video of this event and then simply ask what they think of what was said. I know very well that some women will have a different opinion then I do on this. I've had those discussions about such things in the past. I also know that the answers to thinking about these things are not easy, not black and white and challenge personal behaviours and personal codes of conduct that we are not always aware of. Regardless, this is NOT behaviour that is tolerated in this society for a reason. If people don't know what those reasons are, ask those directly involved - just don't deplore those who decry this behaviour.

My question is, does the harassment happen just with the disrupting of a live broadcast or does the content of what you are saying matter? If someone jumped into a frame and said I'm The Devil or I pooped my paints, as stupid as someone would have to be to say that, is that still the same issue?

JavierMartini
05-11-2015, 11:21 PM

I never said the tapes (originals) being fake excused the man for copying them, I think they are hilarious. These "incidents" are clearly not a sexist-harassment. Every time the person says it into the camera or the microphone while looking into the camera, they are not directing it to the news reporter, but to the camera and microphone capturing it.

We actually do have freedom of speech in this country. To be charged with hate speech you have to meet 7 specific criteria. Moreover nothing done to the reporter apart from interruption was harassment, as it is clear the phrase was directed to the camera.

If you are going to reference court rulings please actually reference them.

I'd disagree that a reporters workplace is everywhere. They don't come to your bedroom in the morning. However if your house caught ablaze they may indeed interview you outside it. Moreover I'd state again that the man is directing the phrase not at the reporter but at the camera and the audience.

I never said that deploring this was being feminist or religious. I was responding to an earlier post of people being charged for a similar statement. How feminism and religious leaders have outlawed speech and hypocritically warped laws to suit their subversive agendas.

I don't need to sit down with a person of the opposite sex for any reason pertaining to this event. The first video I've seen of this troll was shown to me by a female friend. We both had a laugh at it.

Contrary to what you think, while the behavior may seem extremely distasteful in your eyes nothing about it warrants such a vile and fascist response. In the wake of this joke you are advocating not only the censorship of certain speech but the behavioral modification of individuals who don't have the appropriate response deemed correct. That's in line with 1940's germany or Orwell's 1984.

grizzle
05-11-2015, 11:31 PM
What these idiots did was embarrassing for me as a TFC fan and surely they are going to more than pay for their actions with these videos going viral.

While I do not condone any of their actions in any way, as humans we make mistakes. I don't think they need this added witchhunt that people are attempting across social media and on here. Posting their names and employers really isn't going to solve anything. Do you really think a TFC ban is really going to solve anything? I'm pretty sure these guys won't be showing their faces around BMO anytime soon. Let the team focus on team stuff and don't worry, these guys already have their faces everywhere and are paying for their actions already.

Red4ever
05-11-2015, 11:36 PM
You'll never get people for sexual harassment on this. I'm sorry. I think it's wide open to interpretation. You make the assumption it is shouted "at" the reporter. That is open to interpretation.

I'm not defending the behavior as I find it deplorable but if it were cut and dry someone would have done something by now outside of shaming.

We don't have the right to say whatever we want whenever we want but we may in fact (as silly / juvenile / pathetic / embarrassing / pick an adjective as it is) have the right to say this.

You could charge them with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, public intoxication, sure. All of those would be easier to make, then to police a sentence that may or may not be sexual harassment and may or may not be directed at the reporter.

My sister is a reporter. My friends are reporters. It's beyond dumb and should go away yesterday, But that doesn't change the fact that a good lawyer would have a field day with what is being passed of as fact in this thread.

Nestease
05-12-2015, 12:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uGcuxQP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iScvCiB.gif
http://i.imgur.com/gSz53bz.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Z1g18DM.gif

Auzzy
05-12-2015, 01:30 AM
"Fascist response"?!?!? Okie Dokie!

Brooker
05-12-2015, 04:50 AM
It'll blow over. I've heard a lot worse inside the stadium. Drunken dickheads, thems the breaks.

jimiv
05-12-2015, 06:38 AM
IDIOT,period

I fully agree, and when there was some positive media exposure to TFC fans not wanting the Argos at BMO it's all been lost because of some asshat move.

Phil
05-12-2015, 07:20 AM
If someone has a name for these idiots please PM it to me.

flamehawk
05-12-2015, 07:22 AM
I never said the tapes (originals) being fake excused the man for copying them, I think they are hilarious. These "incidents" are clearly not a sexist-harassment. Every time the person says it into the camera or the microphone while looking into the camera, they are not directing it to the news reporter, but to the camera and microphone capturing it.

We actually do have freedom of speech in this country. To be charged with hate speech you have to meet 7 specific criteria. Moreover nothing done to the reporter apart from interruption was harassment, as it is clear the phrase was directed to the camera.

If you are going to reference court rulings please actually reference them.

I'd disagree that a reporters workplace is everywhere. They don't come to your bedroom in the morning. However if your house caught ablaze they may indeed interview you outside it. Moreover I'd state again that the man is directing the phrase not at the reporter but at the camera and the audience.

I never said that deploring this was being feminist or religious. I was responding to an earlier post of people being charged for a similar statement. How feminism and religious leaders have outlawed speech and hypocritically warped laws to suit their subversive agendas.

I don't need to sit down with a person of the opposite sex for any reason pertaining to this event. The first video I've seen of this troll was shown to me by a female friend. We both had a laugh at it.

Contrary to what you think, while the behavior may seem extremely distasteful in your eyes nothing about it warrants such a vile and fascist response. In the wake of this joke you are advocating not only the censorship of certain speech but the behavioral modification of individuals who don't have the appropriate response deemed correct. That's in line with 1940's germany or Orwell's 1984.

The intentions are not relevant, the focus should be the impact. The fact that so many here and elsewhere perceived the action as sexist seems to indicate that the statement could be perceived as such. And I mean seriously, even as someone who was aware of the meme, a big reason why some would find it funny is that it is sexist and thus, making the reporter (usually female) uncomfortable/disrupted. The loaded language around 'feminazi' and comparing a ban to a private sporting event to 1984/nazi germany is ridicules. No one is asking for them to be arrested. I support freedom of speech and don't agree with censorship, but it is not censorship for private citizens to respond to the views of others - whether it's to shame or if MLSE was to go ahead with the public call, ban someone from a private establishment.

As a youth social worker, I've had to deal with oppressive language quite often. I never ban anyone from the program, but if you in act in such a manner, I will make it into a teachable moment and have a discussion about the roots of the language ... it's never 'just a joke'. Jokes become funny because of context. These idiots were adults, and now they are facing the consequences of their actions. They are not being jailed, they are not being tortured... they are simply being told that as TFC fans and members of society, we don't believe this behaviour is acceptable/conducive to having an inclusive community. You may disparage feminism, and certainly there's important critiques of the movement (esp. first and second wave), but I am thankful for how the movement challenges us to tackle these day-to-day aggressions.

When I saw the video, I felt ashamed as a fellow TFC fan, but I am happy that the various supporter groups have come out strongly against this. I think it puts out the message that we will not tolerate this behaviour amongst are midst and that we will make an effort to include women in the sport/supporter culture.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 07:31 AM
If someone has a name for these idiots please PM it to me.

I am just throwing this out there, do we as a group, The RPB really want to get involved in this matter, it is so beyond anyone single thing as they are totally getting rightfully so ranked over the coils of public opinion. Everyone is chiming in on this as its gone viral on a global scale.. As much as these guys are being disrespectful, unkind and what not, distancing this from having anything to do with TFC something to think about.

TFC II (https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII) and 79 others follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/527339025221165056/y6kyUKo6_bigger.jpegJason deVos ‏@jasondevos (https://twitter.com/jasondevos) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/jasondevos/status/598100720315932672)
Jason deVos retweeted CityNews Toronto
Good on @shaunacitynews (https://twitter.com/shaunacitynews) for putting these idiots in their place. They should be banned from TFC games for life.

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 07:36 AM
you can see them in the picture on the front page of the main TFC site now - they were in 111 halfway up right against the railing

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/Capo3.png

Initial B
05-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Can't fix stupid. :facepalm:

jabbronies
05-12-2015, 08:21 AM
I am just throwing this out there, do we as a group, The RPB really want to get involved in this matter, it is so beyond anyone single thing as they are totally getting rightfully so ranked over the coils of public opinion. Everyone is chiming in on this as its gone viral on a global scale.. As much as these guys are being disrespectful, unkind and what not, distancing this from having anything to do with TFC something to think about.

Agree - not the groups place to get involved in this.

if someone wants to approach the club and help with the investigation as an individual - Im all for it - do your thing. But don't involve the group.

We are not the supporters police.

Phil
05-12-2015, 08:28 AM
I only ask to make sure these guys are not 'us'.

I don't recognize them but having a large diverse group, it never hurts to be 100% positive.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 08:29 AM

Can't stop stupid eruptions. But the individually stupid can be fixed.

This has gone global. Like it or not, the SSH's will have to take a stand and condemn these actions, and ensure these are not members. Otherwise, the SSH's are seen to be supportive. That's reality.

I suspect a statement from MLSE will be forthcoming today.

jabbronies
05-12-2015, 08:29 AM

I don't recognize them but having a large diverse group, it never hurts to be 100% positive.

well thanks to that photo - we know they sit in 111 - shouldn't be hard for TFC to find them.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

That's cool.

Phil
05-12-2015, 08:59 AM
On a personal note though, those comments joking or not are disgusting especially on a day like Mothers day.

Now like it or not we all get thrown in the ignorant bin.

JayMolly
05-12-2015, 08:59 AM

^
and they can't legislate common sense!

C.Ronaldo
05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I really don't get the witch hunt. Some posts in this thread of banning, charges ect sound like an Orwellian feminist wet dream. It's absurd.

Nothing like feminist creep in society to marginalize rape to the point where everything is now rape and can be conflated with raping. LOL

Shauna hunt says it hurts her and is insulting. I can see somone immature yeling it out thinking its funny, but when yuo get called on it be a Man and apologize.
The camera/medium isnt his. Its not his right to yell into it.

If he had his own you tube channel and did this, then he can go ahead and do it all day long. Its not my cup of tea, but that would be his right.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
On a personal note though, those comments joking or not are disgusting especially on a day like Mothers day.

Completely agree, its completely inconsiderate, disrespectful and simply just makes the culprit look like a Jackass. This is somewhat selfish, but because this incident has become associated with TFC, the everyday person at home is going to make the connection to TFC supporters and paint them all with the same brush.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Shauna hunt says it hurts her and is insulting. I can see somone immature yeling it out thinking its funny, but when yuo get called on it be a Man and apologize.
The camera/medium isnt his. Its not his right to yell into it.

If he had his own you tube channel and did this, then he can go ahead and do it all day long. Its not my cup of tea, but that would be his right.

To me it was the followup comment by one of this pricks is what completely put it over the top after she called them out.

redangeldragnet
05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
There were some Raptors fans who pulled this shit outside the ACC last month but their fanbase somehow wasn't tarred with the same brush, go figure.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 09:16 AM
I thought I'd spread the shame and post this here since it's already making the rounds on reddit:

(video link, if you can't be bothered it's just a group of assholes yelling 'fuck her in the pussy' to a City TV reporter, to her credit she handles it really well)

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1212928121001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAii5Rh_E~,CtyoY0Y lBsbn4H5xqAIArf2VhtBmoJbv&bctid=4230434560001

So does anyone know these guys? The guy in the yellow Arsenal shirt appears to be in this photo of section 111 (http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/Capo3.png)as well.

Anyway, if anyone does know who these people are will you kindly inform them that they're not just embarrassing Torontonians, but mankind as a whole.

C.Ronaldo
05-12-2015, 09:20 AM
To me it was the followup comment by one of this pricks is what completely put it over the top after she called them out.

yah its the follow up that made him and his arsenal friend (did I miss arsenal playing?) seem like an idiot. the old "but everybody does it" line doesnt cut it.

T-boy
05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Drunk guys trying to justify themselves are just ridiculous!

This was on breakfast TV this morning and its pretty embarrassing as a TFC fan/male in general.

I hope that those guys have a job with a high power female boss who will see that video and really make them suffer!

Carter
05-12-2015, 09:26 AM
dupe thread - http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?37609-Toronto-FC-fans-confronted-by-City-News-reporter-following-vulgar-on-camera-remark

ryan
05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
It's not funny to me, I suppose we have to respect people who find that humour funny.

That being said, their continued commentary and vulgar language in talking with the reporter was just utter shite. Completely rude to her. The worst offender being the one in the Arsenal kit. Total fuckin knob. If they were RPB, I'd want (and expect) them gone, but otherwise they have a right to be assholes and face whatever consequence that comes with it.

I don't think this shames us (RPB), TFC at all though. This isn't connected to TFC or sports in general. It's "attemptable" if there's a news person with a camera, that's it.

p.s. Lets not go out on a speech police run though, I'd have to be awfully quiet on some match days and that's no fun. I need Gantar to hear my hatred.

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 09:32 AM
It's not funny to me, I suppose we have to respect people who find that humour funny.

That being said, their continued commentary and vulgar language in talking with the reporter was just utter shite. Completely rude to her. The worst offender being the one in the Arsenal kit. Total fuckin knob. If they were RPB, I'd want (and expect) them gone, but otherwise they have a right to be assholes and face whatever consequence that comes with it.

I don't think this shames us (RPB), TFC at all though. This isn't connected to TFC or sports in general. It's "attemptable" if there's a news person with a camera, that's it.

p.s. Lets not go out on a speech police run though, I'd have to be awfully quiet on some match days and that's no fun. I need Gantar to hear my hatred.

This last part is what scares me. A lot of people on twitter calling for bans have said some stuff at matches. Also worth pointing out that despite the first idiot defending it, he really never said anything objectionable other than he feels he has the right to say whatever dumb thing pops into his head. Yet people are calling for a lifetime ban? come on. Let's let the idiots die out shall we?

Primavera
05-12-2015, 09:33 AM

No, we don't. It's misogynistic and completely indefensible.

redangeldragnet
05-12-2015, 09:34 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/books/review/jon-ronsons-so-youve-been-publicly-shamed.html

Bishop Blaize
05-12-2015, 09:35 AM
well done to the reporter for standing up to a couple of wimps who probably had too much to drink in the sun. I'd say there will be some sort of public apology issued through social media from these clowns when the reality hits them today.
The reaction of the majority of TFC fans shows these guys are exceptions on what should have been a day where us fans were celebrated not maligned. The atmosphere in south end at times was fantastic, and that's what should be reported not these idiots unfortunately.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
There were some Raptors fans who pulled this shit outside the ACC last month but their fanbase somehow wasn't tarred with the same brush, go figure.

Viral does what viral does.

ryan
05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
No, we don't. It's misogynistic and completely indefensible.

I should have phrased that as "I should respect their right to find that funny."

I don't respect the person however.

T-boy
05-12-2015, 09:48 AM
The original "fhritp" was a prank - I don't think that's harrassment in particular as the guy is just copying other people.

But the embarrassing part is when they both try and justify it in their drunk state - that's so embarrassing its unbelievable! I would really feel ashamed if I listened to myself back trying to justify that's its ok to do what he did, utterly embarrassing!

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 09:49 AM
The ironic thing to me is that the guy who made the initially made the remark is not the focus of anyone, he seemed to disappear from the scene the moment he said it.

Still Kicking
05-12-2015, 10:09 AM
My take - I posted this as a comment on Waking the Red's blog post about them....

What a disgrace. Little boys giggling because they are unable to cope with the adult world. Whatever road is taken concerning punishment or infraction will not mature them. They are better shamed. It is incredible (in this day and age) that they reduce women to a sexual function AND think it is funny. After all they, as humans, can be reduced to a single function too. My snappy rejoinder would be "does waste come out of your little hole below or does it collect in the cranium?"
I truly believe that there is a high road that MLSE needs to take. Women in this country play soccer, hockey and basketball. MLSE owns franchises in all three of those sports but has not taken the SMART HUGE step and created a single woman’s team. That would be a way to speak on behalf of all of us who love sport and put the little boys in their place. TFCW now!

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 10:13 AM
The club confirmed to the Toronto Sun on Tuesday morning that the fans will receive lifetime bans if they're identified. A club spokesperson also confirmed to the Sun MLSE has leads. "We're appalled that this trend of disrespectful behaviour would make its way to our city, let alone anywhere near our stadium," an MLSE spokesperson said in a statement to the Sun. "We are working to identify the individuals, and when we do they will be banned from all of our facilities.

From

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/11/toronto-fc-fans-confronted-by-city-news-reporter-following-vulgar-on-camera-remark

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 10:15 AM
From

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/11/toronto-fc-fans-confronted-by-city-news-reporter-following-vulgar-on-camera-remark

How does one ban someone for something that did not even happen in their facility? It reality this is not a MLSE matter, it is far beyond that, being a social awareness matter on whats acceptable in society.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
My bad. Closer down!

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Chelsea did it to their fans a few months back after the Paris train incident

Phil
05-12-2015, 10:25 AM
How does one ban someone for something that did not even happen in their facility? It reality this is not a MLSE matter, it is far beyond that, being a social awareness matter on whats acceptable in society.

As an entity, I suppose MLSE can choose who they want to do business with.

ryan
05-12-2015, 10:26 AM
How does one ban someone for something that did not even happen in their facility? It reality this is not a MLSE matter, it is far beyond that.

They did it in a club shirt at a club game, so it does reflect on TFC to the general public. They can ban whoever they like, it's their right to do so. A few less douchebags at BMO shouldn't be a bother to anyone.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
As an entity, I suppose MLSE can choose who they want to do business with.

I agree with notion, I just do not want this to be trivialized with BMO Field Bans etc, TFC associations etc, it is a far bigger than that the deserves a discussion and to her credit Shauna's action towards these idiots have got one going.

C.Ronaldo
05-12-2015, 10:31 AM
From

make sure that first guy gets included in there. you cant start and run and assume there will be no consequences

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 10:35 AM
make sure that first guy gets included in there. you cant start and run and assume there will be no consequences

I agree , the two guys at the center of this are not even the ones who actually said it, so if the one guy did not make an ass of himself with that follow up remark, all they were guilty of was being dicks as the guy who actually said was long gone.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Was able to pull this from a photo. Figure they were row 9-10.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11218796_10206804814058634_3507136887955734180_n.j pg?oh=277fb0c6694b26767ed96b118c558a4d&oe=55CDE4DB

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/598154995209482240) City News now reporting police have reached out to reporter Shauna Hunt; Charges being considered against TFC fans

JonO
05-12-2015, 11:02 AM

TFC II (https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII) and 79 others follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/527339025221165056/y6kyUKo6_bigger.jpegJason deVos ‏@jasondevos (https://twitter.com/jasondevos) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/jasondevos/status/598100720315932672)
Jason deVos retweeted CityNews Toronto
Good on @shaunacitynews (https://twitter.com/shaunacitynews) for putting these idiots in their place. They should be banned from TFC games for life.

Didn't want to wade into this, but really, if we are going to ban people from TFC simply for being ass hats, it would be a pretty empty stadium. The best thing that could happen is exactly what Shauna did -call them out and make them look like fools.

brad
05-12-2015, 11:03 AM

It's a private facility. I'm pretty sure they have a fair amount of leeway on this.

A ban won't do much though. They won't be able to get seasons or buy tickets direct, but they will have no problem walking through the the gates with tickets purchased elsewhere.

JonO
05-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/598154995209482240) City News now reporting police have reached out to reporter Shauna Hunt; Charges being considered against TFC fans
What are they going to charge them with? Clearly she didn't feel threatened. Can you be charged for being disrespectful?

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Since this will be something that will (and should) be talked about for a couple days (and probably won't last or be remembered past it) I'll just add mine to list of those who think

These men acted like children and disgraced themselves. Like many men who've been wearing other shirts doing so.

The End.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:05 AM
The one with the shades has been named on Twitter, as well as where he works. This could get very ugly for him, very quickly.

As for charges, that could be perceived as sexual harassment, which would do the trick.

Mulder
05-12-2015, 11:06 AM
What are they going to charge them with? Clearly she didn't feel threatened. Can you be charged for being disrespectful?

Kingston Police tweeted out this

https://twitter.com/kingstonpolice/status/597975780379987968

brad
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM

Probably sexual harassment. Fits the bill on more than one criteria

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/sexual-and-gender-based-harassment-know-your-rights-brochure

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
... They won't be able to get seasons or buy tickets direct, but they will have no problem walking through the the gates with tickets purchased elsewhere.

That's an interesting point. Given the amount of cameras MLSE has in that stadium, you would think a ban would be possible to maintain but who knows how effective they have been in the past.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM
That's an interesting point. Given the amount of cameras MLSE has in that stadium, you would think a ban would be possible to maintain but who knows how effective they have been in the past.

If they got caught in the stadium they could be charged with trespassing.

JonO
05-12-2015, 11:09 AM

https://twitter.com/kingstonpolice/status/597975780379987968Fantasitc. That applies to pretty much all of the supporters during a game...

JonO
05-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Probably sexual harassment. Fits the bill on more than one criteria

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/sexual-and-gender-based-harassment-know-your-rights-brochure
I think they would have a tough time getting a conviction. Even so, though can you be charged with intent to commit sexual assault? Since she called them out before they actually did anything, what offence have they actually committed...

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
The one with the shades has been named on Twitter, as well as where he works. This could get very ugly for him, very quickly.

As for charges, that could be perceived as sexual harassment, which would do the trick.

The thing is the guy in the shades was the least culpable of them all, she just confronted him and he even said he is sick of it by the end had walked off, before the Arsenal guy quipped in his stupidity, the guy who started it all as mentioned it above is long gone. Its unfortunate but I really do not like the idea of publishing names, work places, it has too much of a witch hunt feel to it. No charge here is going to stick. The actually issues of what is being discussed are far too important for these guys to have any of the attention.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
I think they would have a tough time getting a conviction. Even so, though can you be charged with intent to commit sexual assault? Since she called them out before they actually did anything, what offence have they actually committed...

"You're lucky there's not a vibrator in your ear"

That'll do it.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:16 AM
The thing is the guy in the shades was the least culpable of them all, she just confronted him and he even said he is sick of it by the end had walked off, before the Arsenal guy quipped in his stupidity, the guy who started it all as mentioned it above is long gone. Its unfortunate but I really do not like the idea of publishing names, work places, it has too much of a witch hunt feel to it. No charge here is going to stick. The actually issues of what is being discussed are far too important for these guys to have any of the attention.

All you need to recognize is the one and he can help reel in the rest.

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Well the guy who is being mentioned all over twitter at the minute deleted all his social media accounts last night

Brooker
05-12-2015, 11:19 AM
This is getting a bit out of hand. Social media justice warriors scare me.

Parkdale
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM

very much so.

w2hile I have no sympathy for these guys, I don't think the call for them to be locked up in maximum security after chemical castration is really warranted.

social media:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/ULyYV5amK2eYM/200_s.gif

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM

You and me both.

JonO
05-12-2015, 11:27 AM
"You're lucky there's not a vibrator in your ear"

That'll do it.Meh. He is referencing what people do elsewhere... Never said he would do it to her. We do have free speech still that allows people to say things we don't like.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Meh. He is referencing what people do elsewhere... Never said he would do it to her. We do have free speech still that allows people to say things we don't like.

Free speech doesn't mean speech without consequence.

Phil
05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
The guys should have gotten out in front of this and just apologized, now its the viral blow up followed by the viral reaction.

Being drunk isn't an excuse and their words and actions are really rooted in some serious issues but an apology would go a long way to simmering this down.

Mulder
05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Meh. He is referencing what people do elsewhere... Never said he would do it to her. We do have free speech still that allows people to say things we don't like.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

Parkdale
05-12-2015, 11:35 AM
hmmm... sounds like MLSE wants to crack down on "vulgar" language.

Can't say it's not overdue. Let's just hope the Tic Tac chant on Wednesday doesn't become a victim, as we know that's all in good fun.

ryan
05-12-2015, 11:37 AM
hmmm... sounds like MLSE wants to crack down on "vulgar" language.

Can't say it's not overdue. Let's just hope the Tic Tac chant on Wednesday doesn't become a victim, as we know that's all in good fun.

Vulgar language "towards reporters" is how it was initially reported.

We'll see this week what exactly that means.

Jack
05-12-2015, 11:38 AM
The guy who originally said it into the mic is nowhere to be found?

trane
05-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Didn't want to wade into this, but really, if we are going to ban people from TFC simply for being ass hats, it would be a pretty empty stadium. The best thing that could happen is exactly what Shauna did -call them out and make them look like fools.

I was about to say the same thing. She confronted them good on her. But that should be the end of it.

Charges????? Get out. Even the idea that the police would reach out to her to ask her about laying charges is highly irresponsible. That would be a charter challange for sure, and at that point there would be not doubt that it starts infringing on free speech.

And as for MLSE banning vulgar language from the stadium fuck them. Worry about getting a new coach.

Jack
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
And Phil is right, if they had just said "we didn't say it, sorry" then this would have been done. The fact that they went at her when she called them out for laughing is what is landing them in hot water.

Davenport
I bet that little Arsenal prick still lives at home with his Mom. If she sees the video she can show him how proud she is of him.....by giving him a good slap and teaching him how to behave when he's in public.

JonO
Free speech doesn't mean speech without consequence.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png
Sigh... if you'll read my posts I am referring to possible charges against these guys, which is more than a mere consequence. The have all the freedom to act like idiots and they are being judged accordingly (although like some I am concerned about the swiftness/ruthlessness of Internet justice). In the grand scheme of things, what these guys did is relatively minor and I think it is safe to say they won't consider doing it again.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Vulgar language "towards reporters" is how it was initially reported.

We'll see this week what exactly that means.

It is an interesting thing, because the first guy who appears not be even with them, said .... and ran off. Shauna then see's these guys off camera standing off to the side and she turns the camera on them, having no idea what their actual involvement was. The one guy after humming and hollering, but really says nothing walks off, the other guys then chimes in with the second vulgar comment. As much as this is a big issue overall that needs discussion and absolutely having the right attention, that by calling out the other guys out and turning the camera on them, it was like they were being egged on for a reaction, which we all know will not be good. But none of this lets the first guy off the hook.

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
The guy who actually said it is in the picture posted on Page 3 - the row in front of the Arsenal guy - he's with the two guys who the reporter was initially talking to

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM

City TV, Cops, MLSE, Cops, politicians & Supporters groups are all out in front on this - experience gets you to the point where you know how quickly you need to respond.

Individuals have to be pretty savvy to do so as well. God knows most of us would have no clue. They are about to have their worlds ripped to shreds. I sympathise for their families.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 11:56 AM

City TV, Cops, MLSE, Cops, politicians & Supporters groups are all out in front on this - experience gets you to the point where you know how quickly you need to respond.

Individuals have to be pretty savvy to do so as well. God knows most of us would have no clue. They are about to have their worlds ripped to shreds. I sympathise for their families.

The point is once the first guy made the comment, she decided to call out these guys who are not even a part of it initially, and turn the camera on them, outside of the one guy who made the lewd comment, they really did not do anything wrong. They were asked a question and to tell you the truth the guy in the glasses by the end and before walking off somewhat agreed with her. Most people who get called out on camera do not have media training and are going to get defensive. What we dont know, is that after the guy who made the comment and ran off to the west, what made her think to ask these other guys standing to the side?

BFin
05-12-2015, 11:58 AM

https://twitter.com/kingstonpolice/status/597975780379987968

The link also says you can't sing loudly in public. I'm pretty positive TFC better not win another home game or everyone outside of the gates singing will be liable to the social media police.

Is the reasoning as to why MLSE can ban them at all of their venues due to them being privately held stadiums? I'm honestly curious about the legality around this. If someone yelled this in a Sobey's parking lot and was caught on film doing it, could Sobey's ban them from all grocery stores in Canada?

Richard
What made her think to ask these other guys standing to the side?

Emotions will do that.

ryan
Sigh... if you'll read my posts I am referring to possible charges against these guys, which is more than a mere consequence. The have all the freedom to act like idiots and they are being judged accordingly (although like some I am concerned about the swiftness/ruthlessness of Internet justice). In the grand scheme of things, what these guys did is relatively minor and I think it is safe to say they won't consider doing it again.

I agree it's minor and that this is overblown. Doesn't change the definition of the law. Should the police feel it was violated, that's their call. I'm not an expert on the matter obviously, but I'd assume the tweeting police force is.

I think a stadium ban isn't all that bad as it sets an example and doesn't hurt them too much personally. Actual charges could cost them their jobs, which is about on par with Deflategate levels of absurd overreaction, so I wouldn't be surprised.

ryan
05-12-2015, 12:00 PM
The link also says you can't sing loudly in public. I'm pretty positive TFC better not win another home game or everyone outside of the gates singing will be liable to the social media police.

Is the reasoning as to why MLSE can ban them at all of their venues due to them being privately held stadiums? I'm honestly curious about the legality around this. If someone yelled this in a Sobey's parking lot and was caught on film doing it, could Sobey's ban them from all grocery stores in Canada?

Isn't BMO field a public venue anyways? City owns it. I don't know how it all falls down legally, but I imagine they have the right if they are publicly talking about it.

I would imagine the Sobey's example would work, yes. When I was 13 I was in my local town mall and picked a leaf off of a fake plant. Was given a 1 year ban from the mall and all malls they owned.

Batman
05-12-2015, 12:02 PM
MLSE has stepped in now too. :scarf:

MLSE to ban soccer fans who harassed TV reporter with obscene phrase

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/12/fhritp-could-be-a-crime-say-toronto-police.html

BFin
05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Isn't BMO field a public venue anyways? City owns it. I don't know how it all falls down legally, but I imagine they have the right if they are publicly talking about it.

I would imagine the Sobey's example would work, yes. When I was 13 I was in my local town mall and picked a leaf off of a fake plant. Was given a 1 year ban from the mall and all malls they owned.

I also was under the impression it was a public facility. Given that they abided by the contractual obligations of the ticket (my assumption is there isn't fine print on the ticket about yelling at reporters on the CNE grounds) I don't see the legal grounds on banning these people other than 'forget legality, it's our house and you can't come in anymore'.

That leaf example is fantastic. You jerk.

Redcoe15
05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Shauna Hunt served the perfect and acceptable form of justice by calling out those two asswipes on camera. At the same time, I'm in agreement with those that say this has the potential to get out of hand, by way of social media warriors on sites like Twitter, who are going to demand that those two be served on a spike and paraded around town to teach as a lesson and a warning to all. As horrible as they behaved, they shouldn't have to pay for it with their jobs, as others who have behaved badly have experienced before.

I'm looking at that and I can't help but think of my own moment with the media when Rachel interviewed me outside of Olympic Stadium in Montreal pre match a few years ago. What if I had said something stupid and vulgar the way those two did - I was pretty inebriated at the time, as anyone who saw me can attest. Would my life have been turned on its ear and ripped to shreds by social media warriors? It's rather scary to contemplate.

I hate social media sites like Twitter.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 12:06 PM
After watching it again I kind of feel bad for the guy that took the brunt of it. The only thing he's guilty of is being smug and I'm not even sure if he and the twerp in the Arsenal shirt even know the guy that set this whole thing off.

Here's the man-child in question:

http://i.imgur.com/Dj2tcSw.png

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Shauna Hunt served the perfect and acceptable form of justice by calling out those two asswipes on camera. At the same time, I'm in agreement with those that say this has the potential to get out of hand, by way of social media warriors on sites like Twitter, who are going to demand that those two be served on a spike and paraded around town to teach as a lesson and a warning to all. As horrible as they behaved, they shouldn't have to pay for it with their jobs, as others who have behaved badly have experienced before.

I'm looking at that and I can't help but think of my own moment with the media when Rachel interviewed me outside of Olympic Stadium in Montreal pre match a few years ago. What if I had said something stupid and vulgar the way those two did - I was pretty inebriated at the time, as anyone who saw me can attest. Would my life have been turned on its ear and ripped to shreds by social media warriors? It's rather scary to contemplate.

I hate social media sites like Twitter.

My question is, are these the two guys who initially made the comment, NO, that is fact. So anything after that while unfortunate is not the issue here, as they did not approach her in any way. From watching the video am still not exactly sure what the guy in the glasses did wrong, he was asked a question, somewhat answered it and then walked away.

Brooker
05-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Can they ban Vanney from all their facilities? I find him far more offensive.

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 12:10 PM
After watching it again I kind of feel bad for the guy that took the brunt of it. The only thing he's guilty of is being smug and I'm not even sure if he and the twerp in the Arsenal shirt even know the guy that set this whole thing off.

This is lost on the internet.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 12:13 PM

While the guy in the glasses initially gave off a smug frat boy vibe, he really did not do anything other than not come across in the right way.

anto7
05-12-2015, 12:16 PM
The point is once the first guy made the comment, she decided to call out these guys who are not even a part of it initially, and turn the camera on them, outside of the one guy who made the lewd comment, they really did not do anything wrong. They were asked a question and to tell you the truth the guy in the glasses by the end and before walking off somewhat agreed with her. Most people who get called out on camera do not have media training and are going to get defensive. What we dont know, is that after the guy who made the comment and ran off to the west, what made her think to ask these other guys standing to the side?

My impression was that she turned the cameras on them because they appeared to be waiting for the guy to make the rude comment. The first thing she asked them was specifically that question to which they admitted they were. Perhaps that idiot is part of their group and they knew he was going to make the comment.

trane
05-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Can they ban Vanney from all their facilities? I find him far more offensive.

I feel threatened by the prospect of Vanney managing another game. I will ask for charges to be laid against MLSE as I feel as I have been assaulted by his continued employment.

craz11
05-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Sexual Harassment is Sexual Harassment.

Sexual Harassment is NOT relatively minor.

Sexual Harassment has no place in the stadium or associated with game-day activities.

Try to imagine your wife, mother, or daughter in that situation and then try to defend their "freedom to act like idiots".

I hope they throw the book at them. I hope to never see these guys in 111 again.

JonO
05-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Yes it is. This is not.

Pint
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
If you have had a beer or two don't do interviews or be around interviews taking place. The first guy deserves what he gets, its part of society now where 99 people can do something but if you are the 100th and get caught and it gets posted online you get screwed... so simply don't do it to begin with.

The other guys really dug their own grave, a simple "shit, sorry about that i had no idea my buddy was going to go that far" and the conversation would have been over.

Jack
05-12-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm told they were together. Those guys gathered to watch it happen and were laughing and commenting about it as she confronted them.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Yes it is. This is not.

And this is why I warned WAY back on page 1 that this thread would get out of hand. Arguing the definition of harassment leads nowhere good.

molenshtain
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
aaaaaaaandd its made Gawker. This getting picked up anywhere else relatively big outside the city?

OfficeGuy
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
MLSE is banning them....

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/12/fhritp-could-be-a-crime-say-toronto-police.html

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm told they were together. Those guys gathered to watch it happen and were laughing and commenting about it as she confronted them.

There's nothing inherently wrong with standing by and laughing. On that note, I just wrote this to CityNews:

You're exposing and shaming the wrong people. It's even on your own footage.

THIS is the guy you should be going after:

What are you going to do to correct this?

Regards,

Martin

trane
05-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Sexual Harassment is NOT relatively minor.

Sexual Harassment has no place in the stadium or associated with game-day activities.

Try to imagine your wife, mother, or daughter in that situation and then try to defend their "freedom to act like idiots".

I hope they throw the book at them. I hope to never see these guys in 111 again.

The fact that you feel something sexual harassment does not and should not make it sexual harassment under the criminal code. That is not how it should work. Although it seems that it may work like that in this case.

Brooker
05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
There's nothing inherently wrong with standing by and laughing. On that note, I just wrote this to CityNews:

And there's a perfect example of why people need to calm down and these social media warriors need to be careful.

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
And it should be debated as that's how our justice system works. So yeah, debating whether something fits a definition is pretty much the essence of our entire legal system.

ManUtd4ever
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Yup. Incidents like this perpetuate the stereotype of the supporter culture in this city. We were already considered hooligans by some members of the media and this will only add fuel to the fire.

JonO
05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
And this is why I warned WAY back on page 1 that this thread would get out of hand. Arguing the definition of harassment leads nowhere good.Agree to some extent. I don't think anyone will argue that it is offensive, but sexual harassment has a meaning within the law and I think it is very unclear that this falls within the definition. In fact, I think any defense lawyer worth his/her outrageous hourly rate would be able to poke holes in such a charge. Even in Calgary (where this is apparently a bigger problem), the police are quoted a considered causing a disturbance or nuisance charges. No mention of sexual harassment.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
The one good thing about this is it's a discussion worth having because it brings issues out to the forefront. They need to be talked about and dealt with as a society. I am just not sure where exactly some of these guys actions fit into it. That is something that needs to be figured out.

Richard
05-12-2015, 12:49 PM
The one good thing about this is it's a discussion worth having because it brings issues out to the forefront. They need to be talked about and dealt with as a society. I am just not sure where exactly some of these guys actions fit into it. That is something that needs to be figured out.

Its a worthwhile discussion but not to be had on on this forum.

This is a TFC first and football second discussion forum, as far as I'm concerned this thread should be locked, the punks are getting banned and that should be the end of the discussion.

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Its a worthwhile discussion but not to be had on on this forum.

This is a TFC first and football second discussion forum, as far as I'm concerned this thread should be locked, the punks are getting banned and that should be the end of the discussion.

or moved to off topic, or beer, or running, or books, or music or the thousands of other threads that are open on this forum. But all that aside, if it relates to fan behavior, then it relates to us as fans.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Yup. Incidents like this perpetuate the stereotype of the supporter culture in this city. We were already considered hooligans by some members of the media and this will only add fuel to the fire.

Tell me about it - already had one Argo focused troll on my case about this on another unrelated website I go to.

Dipshit tornado this.

Gringo Starr
05-12-2015, 12:57 PM
If you watch it again look for the guy with the shades in the background right when it is said. He was involved from the start and it looks like it was planned not spur of the moment...

BFin
05-12-2015, 12:59 PM
And there's a perfect example of why people need to calm down and these social media warriors need to be careful.

I'm very happy that social media didn't have access to 'All Sports Talk' about two years ago. The stuff we said to each other...miss those times.

Brooker
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Tell me about it - already had one Argo focused troll on my case about this on another unrelated website I go to.

Dipshit tornado this.

Who gives a shit? Ignore it.

billyfly
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm very happy that social media didn't have access to 'All Sports Talk' about two years ago. The stuff we said to each other...miss those times.

Stuff gets deleted, right?

Brooker
05-12-2015, 01:03 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/NIvUx6LX6w3lu/giphy.gif

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 01:03 PM
If you watch it again look for the guy with the shades in the background right when it is said. He was involved from the start and it looks like it was planned not spur of the moment...

So assuming he helped plan it and wasn't just standing there with an 'oh shit he's really gonna do it' look on his face, what is an acceptable punishment for conspiring to commit a public disturbance?

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 01:09 PM
So assuming he helped plan it and wasn't just standing there with an 'oh shit he's really gonna do it' look on his face, what is an acceptable punishment for conspiring to commit a public disturbance?

Its like six guys standing around , the discussion comes up about doing this, even if its the case its the guy who actually did it was the culprit, its like if someone said they would do something for $100 and everyone else pitches in, the guy still have to do it and thus is the one responsible for his actions. This is so unfortunate.

BFin
05-12-2015, 01:09 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/NIvUx6LX6w3lu/giphy.gif

Glorious. Always have had the best gif responses.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Having their sister call and say, "Brother, I saw you in that video. Your Mom wants to have a word with you. Let me get her on the phone...just a second."

Rockerduck
05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Personally, this case may have the unintentional effect of opening up a Pandora's Box with regards to criminal charges. The way I see this issue is this, MLSE operates the stadium, and so, MLSE can refuse anyone entry in theory, they could for instance refuse anyone entry who has a beard. It's just an example, and what I'm getting at is that MLSE does not have to let you into the stadium. Furthermore, if MLSE wants to give all supporters the heave-ho from BMO Field, well they could absolutely do that. Of course it would not be a wise business decision, and they may easily drive Toronto FC into the ground that way, but that is their problem.

What the real issue is with this, has nothing to do with MLSE, it has to do with law enforcement criminally charging someone over this. I think all of us agree that it was a very stupid thing to say. That's not the issue, the issue is that someone over saying a few words could be thrown into the crowbar motel. As was said, some chants could be considered offensive at TFC games, will the police charge people for those chants as well? Consider the great amount of expenditures that goes into the police budget across Ontario and this is what they are concerned with? People should have strong belief in this quote:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

I honestly may not agree with the sometimes offensive remarks made by fans at TFC games, but I just grin and bear it. I would never consider texting the fan number, and of course I would never ever demand that the police charge someone. We have the right to be offended and that's one of the great things of being in a free society. But if people are going to be sent to the slammer for saying stupid things, all of you should give your heads a big shake at what silliness this is.

Red4ever
Having their sister call and say, "Brother, I saw you in that video. Your Mom wants to have a word with you. Let me get her on the phone...just a second."

So not a ban, or charges, or an apology to the reporter?

MartinUtd
Its like six guys standing around , the discussion comes up about doing this, even if its the case its the guy who actually did it was the culprit, its like if someone said they would do something for $100 and everyone else pitches in, the guy still have to do it and thus is the one responsible for his actions. This is so unfortunate.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. As far as I know there are no laws against a very weak definition of "conspiring" to disturb the peace. Gringo Starr's suggestion was that sunglasses guy was in on it. Well so what if he was? He's still a third party to the situation.

djcuse
05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I bet that little Arsenal prick still lives at home with his Mom. If she sees the video she can show him how proud she is of him.....by giving him a good slap and teaching him how to behave when he's in public.

Highly doubt his 6-figure income is still living at home.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 01:20 PM
So not a ban, or charges, or an apology to the reporter?

I was being somewhat facetious.

eustacchio
05-12-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't know what the appropriate response to this situation is (in my first post, I only mentioned that others have been charged for this - not necessarily suggesting that that is the correct response).

The only thing I know is that if there's a professional-grade news camera pointed at me, I'm going to assume it's on and be careful with my choice of words.

Brooker
05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Glorious. Always have had the best gif responses.

Always best to let gif's do the talking.

Masked Man
05-12-2015, 01:28 PM
aaaaaaaandd its made Gawker. This getting picked up anywhere else relatively big outside the city?

That's rich considering the first time I've ever heard of FHRITP was on Deadspin, which is owned by Gawker media.

As far as this whole story goes, it's a poorly used prank that has worn out it's 15 minutes of fame. Banning them for life is over the top in my opinion. What is also interesting is the precedence this sets when it comes to people using vulgar language at sporting events. How long before they start banning anyone who has something truthful, yet harmful to their precious brand to say? Not a road I want to go down.

djcuse
05-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Are we not allowed to post the names of who these offenders are?

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 01:32 PM

Is that the same [mod edit]guy[mod edit] who played midfield for Wilfrid Laurier? He had a tryout with TFC back when they had open tryouts before year one.

Who's laughing now, Wilshere Worshipper?

I hope all the participants are clearly named and shamed and shuffled to the margins of society. Had my wife and daughter at the game and that sort of douchbaggery needs to be smacked down hard.

trane
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
And it should be debated as that's how our justice system works. So yeah, debating whether something fits a definition is pretty much the essence of our entire legal system.

No our justice system is not and should not be based on debates between differing opinions without any consideration of the relevant statutes and jurisprudence.

If someone wants to make a real and relevant argument on the issue, then I suggest that the person read and rely on the relevant statutes and any such jurisprudence that supports their position. Otherwise it is just baseless opinion.

trane
05-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Anyone for a supporters gate discussion?

Nestease
05-12-2015, 01:36 PM
These guys are tools, douchey, and not funny.

That being said, you social justice warriors are a bunch of fucking hypocrites and weirdos.

Let's start with CityTV. When City had an actually harassment and bigotry problem inside their own studios when a Gord Martineau video leaked (https://youtu.be/riOPZILwwH8?t=203):
(a) Calling Roch Voisin a "homo" and doing a lisp and limp wrist routine
(b) Calling a story on a pancreas transplant unimportant, then while next to his co-host Anne Mroczowski, pointed to his crotch calling that important
(c) Rolled up his papers and waved it around pretending to be his dong while next to his female co-host
(d) Brought up the topic of confessions, asked to hear Anne Mroczowski's confessions like a fucking creep and asked her if she "had bad things to say, bad thoughts and deeds"

What did they do? NOTHING. They put it in a montage for their Christmas Party. Then when it was leaked, they defended him.

http://i.imgur.com/aKDlEZW.jpg

Not only that, but they threatened those who hosted the videos with their legal team according to the individual who made them public on his blog.

CityTV reporter, Avery Haines, the same Avery Haines who was fired from CTV after making some dumb joke on air about Affirmative Action. The same Avery Haines who cried about it just being a joke. The same Avery Haines who insinuated about everyone being out for blood, how the media went out and started asking for comments from Black, Asian, Handicap groups in an effort to ruin her life... is putting out some fucking weird media bounty looking for this guys family:

http://i.imgur.com/EGQBj4c.jpg

Who gives a shit? We're going to bully and fuck with this guys family now too?

These guys are dummies, but the people who wont sleep until these guys are fired from their jobs and commit suicide are something else.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM
That's rich considering the first time I've ever heard of FHRITP was on Deadspin, which is owned by Gawker media.

As far as this whole story goes, it's a poorly used prank that has worn out it's 15 minutes of fame. Banning them for life is over the top in my opinion. What is also interesting is the precedence this sets when it comes to people using vulgar language at sporting events. How long before they start banning anyone who has something truthful, yet harmful to their precious brand to say? Not a road I want to go down.

When this becomes the big story after Tim Leiweke and Larry Tanenbaum worked so hard all week to get the stadium story out there, it might only be the beginning for them.

You don't crap in front of men like that and get away lightly. The consequences will have legs that won't stop kicking.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Pretty sure doxxing is against forum rules.

Is that the same [Name] who played midfield for Wilfrid Laurier? He had a tryout with TFC back when they had open tryouts before year one.

Who's laughing now, Wilshere Worshipper?

I hope all the participants are clearly named and shamed and shuffled to the margins of society. Had my wife and daughter at the game and that sort of douchbaggery needs to be smacked down hard.

Keeping in mind that neither of the guys being "interviewed" and publicly shamed were the ones that yelled out the obscenity, do you still hold this view?

trane
05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
^ Fuck.

I am going to become very anti Jurno (is this the proper Green Street Hooligans term?).

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I agree, as I said nothing about ignoring consideration of relevant statues and jurisprudence.

You must meet the criteria to be charged and then punished.

Gringo Starr
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm not in favour of a lifetime ban.

i think it was a stupid thing to do but without knowing the guys maybe they really aren't aware of why its so offensive but I would also find it hard to believe that they aren't aware of the discourse associated with the prank.

The fairest thing to do would be to find the guys and give them the chance to explain themselves and hopefully express regret and the desire to do better going forward. Let the club give them a warning that any repeat results in a life time ban.

the club has to do something as it's not right for all fans to be lumped in with this lot but a ban for something outside the stadium is too harsh IMO.

shwade
05-12-2015, 01:45 PM
This spiraled way into another galaxy. Sucks that the first time charges are laid for this is at a TFC game when it's happened at Raps games.
But a piece of shit is a piece of shit. Can't feel bad for the guys, they knew what they were doing, they wanted attention and they got it.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Pretty sure doxxing is against forum rules.

Keeping in mind that neither of the guys being "interviewed" and publicly shamed were the ones that yelled out the obscenity, do you still hold this view?

After the Jian Ghomeshi situation, this is an issue that female journalists in Toronto and beyond will be cranking up the heat on. Can't be allowed to escalate.

MLSE are seriously pissed and it looks like this was a deliberately staged stunt involving the collective will of a group.

molenshtain
05-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Deadspin, Gawker and Jezebel follow this "trend" pretty religiously and are ardent in their opinion of it being boring, not funny and mostly sexist. There's an argument that bringing it up at all on a site like Deadspin that has 8-10 million visits a month gives it credence, but that's something else.

Gringo Starr
05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
My my post was in response to one asking why she went up to the guys on the side. I was just trying to point out that the guy in the shades put himself in the frame from the beginning and therefore I think it's fair that she went and questioned that group to the side.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. As far as I know there are no laws against a very weak definition of "conspiring" to disturb the peace. Gringo Starr's suggestion was that sunglasses guy was in on it. Well so what if he was? He's still a third party to the situation.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 01:50 PM

i think it was a stupid thing to do but without knowing the guys maybe they really aren't aware of why its so offensive but I would also find it hard to believe that they aren't aware of the discourse associated with the prank.

The fairest thing to do would be to find the guys and give them the chance to explain themselves and hopefully express regret and the desire to do better going forward. Let the club give them a warning that any repeat results in a life time ban.

the club has to do something as it's not right for all fans to be lumped in with this lot but a ban for something outside the stadium is too harsh IMO.

But give them a warning for what?

Again... keeping in mind that the guy with the goatee was the one that yelled "fuck her right..."

Fort York Redcoat

After the Jian Ghomeshi situation, this is an issue that female journalists in Toronto and beyond will be cranking up the heat on. Can't be allowed to escalate.

MLSE are seriously pissed and it looks like this was a deliberately staged stunt involving the collective will of a group.

While I'm very impressed with how quickly you unearthed info on the guy this isn't the place that his trial will take place. Rest assured, it is already being addressed in the halls of the organizations involved.

Thanks for your understanding.

Wagner
Guys, no more Doxxing.
infractions for those that continue to do so.
seriously.
ENOUGH.

shwade
05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

A year ban seems alright to send a message. Your suggestion is way too soft, of course they're going to play the regret card because they got called out. It wouldn't be genuine.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 01:52 PM

I take no issue with the round the table condemnation of this silly prank (as it's being called) but lets get real for a second. What do you mean by 'deliberately staged'? And what responsibilities do the bystanders have with regards to the man yelling obscenities?

Red4ever
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
A year ban seems alright to send a message. Your suggestion is way too soft, of course they're going to play the regret card because they got called out. It wouldn't be genuine.

I say this without attacking or sarcasm cause I know we've had our differences, but It's always hard to tell if any apology is. It might be. Doesn't mean they shouldn't explain and apologize or be afforded the opportunity to at least somewhat rectify their idiocy. I think by now they are chomping at the bit to apologize after sitting alone with their thoughts for 24 hours.

Though they should spend some time away from the stadium.

Derko
05-12-2015, 01:56 PM
I guess these guys have been banned as I feel they should be so we move on, as a married man with 2 adult daughters, whom both play Roller Derby would have throttled the pricks.

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I take no issue with the round the table condemnation of this silly prank (as it's being called) but lets get real for a second. What do you mean by 'deliberately staged'? And what responsibilities do the bystanders have with regards to the man yelling obscenities?

Every single person in the video (from the guys she initially started to talk to, to the guy who actually says it, to shades guy and his buddies including Arsenal guy) were standing in the same area on Sunday.

If they don't know each other it's a massive, massive coincidence

http://i.imgur.com/e0IrgBY.jpg

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 01:58 PM
#BREAKING: Hydro One employee fired for hurling vulgarities at CityNews reporter
Shauna Hunt at TFC game

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 01:58 PM
While I'm very impressed with how quickly you unearthed info on the guy this isn't the place that his trial will take place. Rest assured, it is already being addressed in the halls of the organizations involved.

Thanks for your understanding.

The Kangaroo Court of Public Opinion is already in session.

Brooker
05-12-2015, 02:05 PM
#BREAKING: Hydro One employee fired for hurling vulgarities at CityNews reporter
Shauna Hunt at TFC game

Oh shit.

shwade
05-12-2015, 02:08 PM
I say this without attacking or sarcasm cause I know we've had our differences, but It's always hard to tell if any apology is. It might be. Doesn't mean they shouldn't explain and apologize or be afforded the opportunity to at least somewhat rectify their idiocy. I think by now they are chomping at the bit to apologize after sitting alone with their thoughts for 24 hours.

Though they should spend some time away from the stadium.

But the time to apologize would've been when this blew up on social media yesterday or this morning before any talk of bans and charges. If it was done then there wouldn't be too much cynicism but after MLSE and the police get involved it's probably too late to be seen as genuine.

C.Ronaldo
05-12-2015, 02:08 PM
this got out of hand really quickly. Overkill personally, but thems the times we live in

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Every single person in the video (from the guys she initially started to talk to, to the guy who actually says it, to shades guy and his buddies including Arsenal guy) were standing in the same area on Sunday.

If they don't know each other it's a massive, massive coincidence

Those are weak grounds on which to punish, my friend.

shwade
05-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Shauna Hunt at TFC game

Damnnnn. Shit just got real, real fucking quick.

redangeldragnet
05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
this got out of hand really quickly. Overkill personally, but thems the times we live in Totally agree. If you can call the incident that started it mob mentality, then you can call the public response the exact same thing.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Those are weak grounds on which to punish, my friend.

Put yourself in Tim Leiweke's shoes, the shoes of an embarrassed and humiliated club president the day after the opening of a $90 million stadium expansion.

Yes, they've had the studs sharpened quite finely.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Put yourself in Tim Leiweke's shoes, the shoes of an embarrassed and humiliated club president the day after the opening of a $90 million stadium expansion.

Yes, they've had the studs sharpened quite finely.

Forgive for being flippant, but so what?

Carter
05-12-2015, 02:15 PM
A Hydro One employee will be fired after he was identified as one of the men who hurled obscenities at CityNews reporter Shauna Hunt during Sunday’s Toronto FC game.
Hydro One tells CityNews the employee violated the company’s code of conduct
“Hydro one is taking steps to terminate the employee for violating our code of conduct,” said Hydro One’s Daffyd Roderick.
“Respect for all people is engrained in the code and in our values. We are committed to a work environment where discrimination or harassment of any type is met with zero tolerance.”

http://www.680news.com/2015/05/12/hydro-one-employee-fired-for-hurling-vulgarities-at-citynews-reporter/

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Shauna Hunt at TFC game

And about to enjoy the same job prospects as Jian Ghomeshi.

You can be sure all the names and all the consequences will be available on sites like Gawker, where US journalism rules are looser/braver than Canada's.

Chevy
05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
this got out of hand really quickly. Overkill personally, but thems the times we live in

Probably a bit on the harsh side, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Maybe it's for the greater good.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Forgive for being flippant, but so what?

Ahh, didn't realize those shoes were too big for you.

Petor
05-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Shauna Hunt at TFC game

Too bad he wasn't Mayor of Toronto as he would still have a job.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:23 PM
A Hydro One employee will be fired after he was identified as one of the men who hurled obscenities at CityNews reporter Shauna Hunt during Sunday’s Toronto FC game.
“Hydro one is taking steps to terminate the employee for violating our code of conduct,” said Hydro One’s Daffyd Roderick.
“Respect for all people is engrained in the code and in our values. We are committed to a work environment where discrimination or harassment of any type is met with zero tolerance.”

http://www.680news.com/2015/05/12/hydro-one-employee-fired-for-hurling-vulgarities-at-citynews-reporter/

That is going to be a union grievance of the century, love to see how this is settled.

Rockerduck
05-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Was he on the sunshine list? We know he works for Hydro One.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2015, 02:24 PM

LOL!

Jack
05-12-2015, 02:25 PM
It was an idiotic move and it looks like one of these guys has paid for it with his job.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Companies like this pay good money to labour lawyers to ensure they don't get successfully sued. His current life just went schplat.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:27 PM
It was an idiotic move and it looks like one of these guys has paid for it with his job.

Most firings are job/performance related, I wonder without a charge being filed if this is a big wrongfully dismissal waiting to happen. If a Union is involved it has the chance to get even more complicated, especially if the guy files a grievance. This is very interesting on so many levels.

MartinUtd
05-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Ahh, didn't realize those shoes were too big for you.

If you don't have the capacity to make the argument yourself, then don't even bother appealing to authority. Tim Leiweke's at that. TFC should be embarrassed for their results, not a shit head fan and his so-called entourage.

Wagner
05-12-2015, 02:28 PM
New Page,
same message.

Guys, no more Doxxing.
seriously.
ENOUGH.

Nestease
05-12-2015, 02:30 PM

He might have kept his job, but MLSE would never let someone back into their stadium who said pussy into a reporters microphone!!!!! Oh wait...

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
New Page,
same message.

Guys, no more Doxxing.
seriously.
ENOUGH.

Is it doxxing if a say Kurt publishing in the Sun, or CBC etc? Seriously prior to today I just had never heard the term, took me looking it up, just have never heard it in daily life.

Gringo Starr
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Can you fire someone for off colour comments made on their own time while in no way representing company?

guys life is ruined over a stupid juvenile prank.

Rockerduck
05-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Yeah, and who cares. He was a government fat cat, end of story.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:34 PM
After seeing everyone who has been involved to various levels and what we know, have seen and so on, the guy in the glasses in my view maybe should get off with nothing as he did not make the initial remark, never actually said anything lewd at anyone and by the end of just walked off. He was smug but other than that really did not do anything.

GabrielHurl
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Can you fire someone for off colour comments made on their own time while in no way representing company?

Well it would depend on your companies conduct policy I guess

sully
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm really pissed this happened with him wearing a TFC shirt, it's embarrassing and shameful - yes, he's an idiot - but him wearing the jersey means it also reflects on the club and the fans...I hope MLSE finds a way to or stage something to address this apart from bans.

Wagner
05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Is it doxxing if a say Kurt publishing in the Sun, or CBC etc? Seriously prior to today I just had never heard the term, took me looking it up, just have never heard it in daily life.

you're welcome to get the info on other pages.

we don't do that here. Do Not post it here.

Smokecell
05-12-2015, 02:37 PM
The fact that this is 2015 and Hydro One more capitalizing on an opportunity to ring in some "good PR" as opposed to doing the right thing makes this a tad ridiculous. Not saying what the moron did was OK but would Hydro One have cared had this thing not been given the attention it has?

OgtheDim

Yes, you can if they signed off on a code of conduct.

The incident went viral. it got out that he worked for that pseudo crown corporation. Their HR department had little choice.

Red CB Toronto
you're welcome to get the info on other pages.

we don't do that here. Do Not post it here.

No way in hell would I do that, was just curious about this whole doxxing thing.

Petor
05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Well it would depend on your companies conduct policy I guess

If he was under contract(not union) I'm sure that there is a termination clause.
He'll probably get some severance pay but good luck finding another job in same field with all this bad publicity.

Fort York Redcoat

CB Kurt Larson is a person. He takes credit and accountability for what he writes. He's not anonymous.

TFC07
Wow, you can get fired from saying something stupid outside of work on your own private time? Talk about being harsh! But then again, Hydro One is on sale so it doesn't really matter when private companies end up buy majority of Hydro One shares and bring their own people.

Overall, this got way out of hand and MLSE needs to STFU when comes to morality when they themselves have screwed and lied to this fanbase so many times in the past. Banning idiots for life or even a year (lol) doesn't make you "good guy" and make it a right thing to do. They should haven't gotten involved and let this story die down like they did when Maple Leafs fan did same thing on CP24 in few months ago.

As for media, they're one of biggest scumbags you can find in our society. They will do anything for a story, so it's wise to ignore them and avoid dealing with them as much as possible.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:40 PM
CB Kurt Larson is a person. He takes credit and accountability for what he writes. He's not anonymous.

I was just asking, had no really idea on how the such term was used, really there is a V-Cup Semi-Final tomorrow night.

molenshtain
05-12-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm really pissed this happened with him wearing a TFC shirt, it's embarrassing and shameful - yes, he's an idiot - but him wearing the jersey means it also reflects on the club and the fans...I hope MLSE finds a way to or stage something to address this apart from bans.

apart from the bans and the written statement that came along with it, I don't think MLSE need to do anything more. doing so would give the issue more attention than it warrants, and atm it does just enough to say that this behavior is in no way tolerable or indicative of the club's standard's of behavior and conduct. It says these people do not represent us and others who follow their suit aren't welcome as part of this club. Not much more needs to be said on the matter from MLSE or the Club's point of view.

OgtheDim
05-12-2015, 02:44 PM
...Overall, this got way out of hand and MLSE needs to STFU when comes to morality when they themselves have screwed and lied to this fanbase so many times in the past. Banning idiots for life or even a year (lol) doesn't make you "good guy" and make it a right thing to do. They should haven't gotten involved and let this story die down.

Yes cause ignoring it would have gone over really well. :frown2:

And then we'd be spending most of today having the whole team and all of us pilloried as against 3-5 fools.

T-boy
05-12-2015, 02:45 PM

I'm assuming the employee isn't unionised as his union would be all over this and no chance of a firing. Either way he would still have a good case of wrongful dismissal if he got an employment lawyer.

BFin
05-12-2015, 02:46 PM

Career, for a bit anyways.

Complete overkill.

shwade
So was it the guy who actually said it and walked off? Or one of the guys who defended it on camera?

eustacchio

Absolutely - since the link has been made, it would reflect poorly on the company if they kept him employed. It's usually the first thing that happens when things like this go viral.

EDIT: I'm not sure which which guy from the video this happened to.

TFC07
05-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Yes cause ignoring it would have gone over really well. :frown2:

And then we'd be spending most of today having the whole team and all of us pilloried as against 3-5 fools.

You think banning couple of idiots going to stop people doing this?

If they felt so strongly about this, then how come they didn't ban a Maple Leafs fan who did same thing on their property (Maple Leaf square)?

MLSE just taking advantage of this situation for own personal gain (good PR).

Red CB Toronto
So was it the guy who actually said it and walked off? Or one of the guys who defended it on camera?

It was not the guy who actually said it, he made the follow up remark.

OgtheDim
Career, for a bit anyways.

Complete overkill.

Hard to work with women once you are seen to do this. Creates a lousy atmosphere and gets in the way of the reason you are there, to do whatever the company does.

i.e. They don't need him. He made himself an issue. So, yes, its his fault.

eustacchio
I'm assuming the employee isn't unionised as his union would be all over this and no chance of a firing. Either way he would still have a good case of wrongful dismissal if he got an employment lawyer.

If he's in management, he's not part of the union.

T-boy
05-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Absolutely - since the link has been made, it would reflect poorly on the company if they kept him employed. It's usually the first thing that happens when things like this go viral.

EDIT: I'm not sure which which guy from the video this happened to.

Man its a dangerous precedent to set - we ALL swear and act like idiots from time to time (what goes on behind closed doors, right?) - just imagine if we all got caught by a video/camera phone/almost any device these days saying almost ANYTHING - nobody will have a job by the end of this week!

werewolf
05-12-2015, 02:51 PM
These guys are tools, douchey, and not funny.

That being said, you social justice warriors are a bunch of fucking hypocrites and weirdos.

Let's start with CityTV. When City had an actually harassment and bigotry problem inside their own studios when a Gord Martineau video leaked (https://youtu.be/riOPZILwwH8?t=203):
(a) Calling Roch Voisin a "homo" and doing a lisp and limp wrist routine
(b) Calling a story on a pancreas transplant unimportant, then while next to his co-host Anne Mroczowski, pointed to his crotch calling that important
(c) Rolled up his papers and waved it around pretending to be his dong while next to his female co-host
(d) Brought up the topic of confessions, asked to hear Anne Mroczowski's confessions like a fucking creep and asked her if she "had bad things to say, bad thoughts and deeds"

What did they do? NOTHING. They put it in a montage for their Christmas Party. Then when it was leaked, they defended him.

http://i.imgur.com/aKDlEZW.jpg

Not only that, but they threatened those who hosted the videos with their legal team according to the individual who made them public on his blog.

CityTV reporter, Avery Haines, the same Avery Haines who was fired from CTV after making some dumb joke on air about Affirmative Action. The same Avery Haines who cried about it just being a joke. The same Avery Haines who insinuated about everyone being out for blood, how the media went out and started asking for comments from Black, Asian, Handicap groups in an effort to ruin her life... is putting out some fucking weird media bounty looking for this guys family:

http://i.imgur.com/EGQBj4c.jpg

Who gives a shit? We're going to bully and fuck with this guys family now too?

These guys are dummies, but the people who wont sleep until these guys are fired from their jobs and commit suicide are something else.

Fresh on the heels of the Bill C-51, the internet heroes on both sides need to vent out any remaining frustration somewhere.

A bunch of assclowns surely, but the venom online is incredible. They tried to be clever and looked like fools, that used to be enough. Now strangers stop at nothing to anonymously put them in serious personal misery.

Wagner
05-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Posting of any personal info of anyone will NOT BE TOLERATED.

T-boy
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Fresh on the heels of the Bill C-51, the internet heroes on both sides need to vent out any remaining frustration somewhere.

A bunch of assclowns surely, but the venom online is incredible. They tried to be clever and looked like fools, that used to be enough. Now strangers stop at nothing to anonymously put them in serious personal misery.

A bunch of strangers who are all perfect and never done anything wrong in their life, of course!

shwade
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
It was not the guy who actually said it, he made the follow up remark.

Fuck that guy, coward who just ran off. If they want to make an example out of anyone it should be him not the bystanders whose crime was laughing. If it was the guy who made the vibrator comment then I won't lose sleep over his firing either.

manitou22
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Wow, you can get fired from saying something stupid outside of work on your own private time?
Private time yes but they were in a public place harassing a TV reporter during a broadcast. They put themselves there.

eustacchio
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Man its a dangerous precedent to set - we ALL swear and act like idiots from time to time (what goes on behind closed doors, right?) - just imagine if we all got caught by a video/camera phone/almost any device these days saying almost ANYTHING - nobody will have a job by the end of this week!

Yeah, for sure - I worried about that at a couple of games since some other clubs were clients of my employer.

Let's not forget that they weren't "caught on camera" they were looking right into it - and it wasn't a small device like a smart phone.

Petor
05-12-2015, 02:57 PM
It all depends on who you are.
This person said this while wearing a Leaf's jersey and he is not banned from any MLSE properties.
Never fired either as he said sorry after he was forced to by Toronto Council.
A double standard.
***Oooops! EDIT it was an Argo jersey so I guess it's different! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJtoQaX1T0

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Fuck that guy, coward who just ran off. If they want to make an example out of anyone it should be him not the bystanders whose crime was laughing. If it was the guy who made the vibrator comment then I won't lose sleep over his firing either.

It was, as I have said the guy with the shades is likely the only one with a leg to stand on if anyone/organization took action against him.