PDA

View Full Version : Time for a long term vision to be implemented at TFC

evermorian
05-11-2015, 02:07 AM
I was reading this article about QPR's struggles and recent relegation and it was striking how much QPR (in a way) reminded me of TFC. The general consensus, at least from the author's view, was the reason the club went down so quickly was because there was a lack of long term vision at the club, and instead of buying the "right" players who had the right personality and mentality, they paid players purely on talent and reputation without consideration for how they would fit into the team. It sounds strikingly similar to TFC. While Giovinco and Altidore have been great for the most part thus far, Bradley has been underwhelming to say the least. TFC seems so unbalanced and cannot seem to find the players needed to fill the holes that need filling. There seems to be a lack of vision in terms of the way TFC plays and the type of players that we need to consistently get in order to maintain that style. I think its about time that TFC install a president, a strong personality with real vision, and more importantly, with experience. I'm starting to get tired of how TFC goes about building their squad. Any news on if a president will be installed any time soon?

The QPR article is here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32685052

molenshtain
05-11-2015, 05:45 AM
ugh.

brad
05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
We did implement a long term vision. The Dutch 4-3-3 was the long term vision for the club. I still have the marketing book telling me such.

It will never happen. Any long term planning goes out the window when they do the annual staff clearout

ensco
05-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Stop letting rookies and lackies run the place.

That is my vision.

Pookie
05-11-2015, 06:55 AM
As long as MLS keeps lowering the bar, there will be incentive to win (even if at a below average rate)

Think about it. If TFC qualifies for the playoffs... just qualifies... MLSE would call it a success. May even get to raise prices on renewals. Playoffs is playoffs, even if you are 20 points behind the table leader.

And this year, TFC is in a division with 10 teams, 2 of which are expansion clubs and 6 of them will make it to the post season. How do you not take aim at that?

Now if MLS had a table champion, we would see how far we really need to go and a long term view would be necessary. But the regular season is meaningless, except for the bottom 4, and the marketing prize is significant. MLSE has to get lucky one of these years... right?

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2015, 07:42 AM
This again.

We've hit all the major points in 5 posts but one I remember.

The fans.

We fans in Toronto have no patience and our media knows it. That's a chicken and egg relationship but regardless its one of the eternal factors in why we can't have slow builds in this city.

Beach_Red
05-11-2015, 08:24 AM

That is my vision.

Well, we knew when the team's fist hire was a guy with zero experience what we were in for. I remember getting slammed on this board for pointing out the difference between a successful and not successful expansion teams in the NHL had everything to do with executive hirings and being told that soccer was nothing like hockey.

Parkdale
05-11-2015, 08:28 AM

That is my vision.

that's so crazy... it might just work!

[NBF]
05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
I think it has alot to do with nationality. Americans are not playing with any personal attachment to the team. Easiest answer might be to hire an experienced manager who would be able to get the best out of a group of disjointed or jaded players.

http://i1.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article4900392.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Newcastle-United-Training-Session.jpg

dupont
05-11-2015, 10:25 AM
A long term vision for TFC would be to not fire the fucking coaching staff after half a season for once. As much as I'm not enjoying Vanney so far, I think we have to ride out whatever happens for a full season and just see how it goes. I just know the media and fans don't have the patience for it though.

barticusz
05-11-2015, 10:27 AM
This again.

We've hit all the major points in 5 posts but one I remember.

The fans.

We fans in Toronto have no patience and our media knows it. That's a chicken and egg relationship but regardless its one of the eternal factors in why we can't have slow builds in this city.

How true this is. Toronto fans are the most self deprecating bunch I've ever seen. It's either euphoria or pitchforks and fire in these parts depending on the outcome of the game. It shocks me how few of the people on this forum have a level headed approach to this team.

evermorian
05-11-2015, 10:40 AM
How true this is. Toronto fans are the most self deprecating bunch I've ever seen. It's either euphoria or pitchforks and fire in these parts depending on the outcome of the game. It shocks me how few of the people on this forum have a level headed approach to this team.
I was more advocating for the hiring of a president who could implement a vision for the club that would affect the type of players we signed. I used the QPR situation of an example of a club that has no real long term vision and pays big money for talented players without really considering how they would fit in to the team. I feel TFC is similar and that Bezbatchenko doesn't really know how to build a team or get the right players (Giovinco aside). This is just my opinion, but I feel we would benefit greatly with a president guiding the club.

Beach_Red
05-11-2015, 10:53 AM
I was more advocating for the hiring of a president who could implement a vision for the club that would affect the type of players we signed. I used the QPR situation of an example of a club that has no real long term vision and pays big money for talented players without really considering how they would fit in to the team. I feel TFC is similar and that Bezbatchenko doesn't really know how to build a team or get the right players (Giovinco aside). This is just my opinion, but I feel we would benefit greatly with a president guiding the club.

The issue has really always been the roster restrictions imposed by MLS - mostly the domestic requirement and the salary cap. Comparisons to teams in leagues without those restrictions don't work very well.

ag futbol
05-11-2015, 11:06 AM

That is my vision.
Isn't that the truth. Inexperienced people struggle to provide stability through crisis, yet it seems to be our go-to at all levels of the organization.

Until this team gets spun out MLSE it will continue to be a place where people go to "learn" (ie screw up without much in the way of consequences)

OfficeGuy
05-11-2015, 11:43 AM
invest in the people like they did in the stadium

evermorian
05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
The issue has really always been the roster restrictions imposed by MLS - mostly the domestic requirement and the salary cap. Comparisons to teams in leagues without those restrictions don't work very well.
I meant more along the lines of style of play and sustained success. With Manchester United under Van Gal, they have a certain way they want to play and then go out and get the players who would fit the bill. An MLS example would be RSL or the sounders. They both have/had strong individuals at the top of the organization, such as Lagerway and Haneur, who have an eye for talent and a penchant for getting the right players. They both have/had really good coaches that helped with their success. My example of QPR was that they have an owner with a big pocket book who gets any players the manager thinks they should get without consideration for a long term vision. It seems similar to TFC. I don't have much faith in Bezbetchenko and Vanney in being able to implement a vision and think TFC need to hire a president. As someone else has said, TFC need to invest in the front office. Just my two cents.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

Had one before, we'll have one again soon. Who knows for how long...

Beach_Red
05-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Had one before, we'll have one again soon. Who knows for how long...

Have we ever had a president whose only job was the performance of TFC?

Areathrasher
05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Have we ever had a president whose only job was the performance of TFC?

Payne.

Beach_Red
05-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Payne.

Oh right. It's hard to keep track with this team, I missed his entire week here ;).

jloome
05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, it seems to take an American coach who understands the players' limitations technically to get the best out of an MLS squad. Most aren't up to the task.

The only idea I can offer at this point is that we let our guy learn on the job, like DC did with Olson. That means two or three seasons before we say he's just not going to get it done, because it takes that, usually, to build a squad from shit to strong in this league. We need that much roster turnover to get the right balance of stars and scrubs.

OgtheDim
05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
.....The only idea I can offer at this point is that we let our guy learn on the job, like DC did with Olson. That means two or three seasons before we say he's just not going to get it done, because it takes that, usually, to build a squad from shit to strong in this league. We need that much roster turnover to get the right balance of stars and scrubs.

Long term visions require patience. The articulation of a vision was presented back in November, but got lost in the gooblygook and the press' inability to process the information without snark.

Its attacking possession oriented football backed with analytics and processes.

We are seeing that vision run up against the reality of a league which has changed, in 18 months, from a high press high tempo league that would have been very easy to break down with this attacking vision to a long ball cross the pitch pass league. If anything, we have seen this season the pragmatists are doing better, with SKC RSL and LAG all adjusting to the newer realities while NYCFC falters with Kreis sticking way too long to his system. I see glimpses of Vanney being able to adjust - he stuck yesterday to a system people were comfortable with, and we paid a tactical price that our lack of energy could not get us beyond.

That's one reason why I'm not all that sold on any long term tactical vision for TFC. The vision should be whatever it takes - everything else is subject to change.

barticusz
05-11-2015, 01:17 PM

I'll agree to that. I don't think Bez has done bad at all. Since he's been involved with this team we've signed/traded for, Bradley, Giovinco, Defoe/Altidore/, Cheyrou, Perquis, Morrow. That's 6 very good players in their positions. All this goes to show how horrendous our depth has been that we can't find 4 more guys that can play consistently good football. Just look at the 2014 season In Transfers which is when he was given the reigns of the team. He was hired on Sept 20 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Toronto_FC_season

TFC were absolutely ATROCIOUS. We still need help in key positions and we've got Bez going out to places like Italy to find talent. I'm A-Ok with the job he's done. Thrilled to be honest. As an another example lets take a look at the player ratings so far this season:

Everyone rated 7+ is a Bez guy: http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/4186 other than the goaltenders, and Hagglund was his draft pick I do believe.

Bez needs to stay with this team.