PDA

View Full Version : DeRo Has Retired

OgtheDim
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/10/canadian-mls-legend-dwayne-de-rosario-announces-end-playing-career-instagram (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/10/canadian-mls-legend-dwayne-de-rosario-announces-end-playing-career-instagram)

Areathrasher
05-10-2015, 08:47 PM
It's a disgrace that league have ignored this. He's a legit MLS legend.

(thoughts and feelings on his TFC tenure aside)

gate7
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
he is a legend indeed.....

Initial B
05-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Salute!

TFC07
05-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Wall of Honour candidate? That will be great way to honour DeRo (hometown kid) instead than video tribute or anything like that.

Lennon
05-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Wall of Honour candidate? That will be great way to honour DeRo (hometown kid) instead than video tribute or anything like that.

No doubt about it. Probably TFC's best ever player. It's a shame he couldn't be the first to get to 100 caps.

CountryoverClub
05-10-2015, 10:31 PM
^He well deserves the honours. Yet, for his MLS play his jersey should be honored in SJ. Needless to say, a trubite at BMO for his duties at TFC.

Having said that, the CSA should look to build some history in the national soccer stadium by adding a Wall of Honour with the likes of DDR, Stalteri, Forrest, some gents from the 89 WC team.

JonO
05-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Ugh... they introduced him as TFC brand ambassador (I believe) right before the start of the second half. Should have done a better job (maybe right before the start of the game) since I am sure about 80% of the people at the game missed it...

ChrisFizik
05-11-2015, 10:48 AM
was disappointed that they didn't make a bigger deal of this at the match...seemed kind of a small addition/also thing

feel like we owe him a thank you banner

MKR
05-11-2015, 10:58 AM
yes. some sort of more formal ceremony would have been good. I think it might still happen pre match or something.

Still when you look back on it i don't know how to feel about Dero as a TFC player. On one hand i feel he handled himself badly during the whole cheque signing thing and on the other hand he truly was one of the best players that ever played for us. Also his coming back last season showed that the whole thing with the Johnston regime was water under the bridge and you knew his heart was in the right place. I thought he was underused last season and i actually thought there would have been a role for him as a player on this year's team. Too bad things went the way they did back in 2011 or whenever it was. ah well just one of the many crappy moments that builds up this team's history.

DeRo Fan #1
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
He should've been the first to 100 apps. ahead of Morgan.
Ryan Nelsen underused him...
He deserved that one month loan with Celtic when it was offered, he could've asked for a transfer, but as a Toronto-native he stuck with his team, and tried for a one month loan.
He had a great career, if they don't put him on the Wall of Honour, then something is wrong.
I was hoping maybe he'd help out with TFC directly, not just an MLSE ambassador.
TFC had no class, not even a website article about DeRo retiring.

Ivy
05-11-2015, 04:43 PM
@thesoccerdon: We appreciate your commitment to building the sport in North America, and we look forward to working with you in your new role with MLSE.

TFC07
05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
@thesoccerdon: We appreciate your commitment to building the sport in North America, and we look forward to working with you in your new role with MLSE.

That's it?

MLS name damn trophy after Landon Donovan while MLS legend (arguably one of most accomplished MLS player ever) just gets small tweet of congrats?

Blizzard
05-11-2015, 04:57 PM
That's it?

MLS name damn trophy after Landon Donovan while MLS legend (arguably one of most accomplished MLS player ever) just gets small tweet of congrats?

DeRo's not a Yank (or a wank for that matter)!

Pinkie
05-12-2015, 08:02 PM
DeRo deserves all the wall of honour and more. He's done way more for the club than Brennan and is arguably one of the best soccer player our country has produced.

Sad to see him go.

FluSH
05-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Will always have respect for DeRo!

Gringo Starr
05-12-2015, 09:17 PM
The half time salute was bush league, a brief intro as brand ambassador after the bubble soccer game. Should have been done pre game when the stadium was buzzing

flatpicker
05-12-2015, 09:29 PM
The half time salute was bush league, a brief intro as brand ambassador after the bubble soccer game. Should have been done pre game when the stadium was buzzing

Agreed

CBTFC
05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
the bubble soccer game.

i don't know exactly why but i found that whole thing just so painful. like when there's a horrible standup comic on stage, you just feel uncomfortable being there.

ag futbol
05-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Credit to dero on a great career. He'll go down as one of the originals for canada.

ensco
05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I feel for Dero. Here is his earnings history since 2005. He wouldn't have made much before then, maybe $100k/year.

http://www.spotrac.com/mls/toronto-fc/dwayne-derosario/

Total of ~$4M lifetime earnings. Half went to taxes. He had at least $100K in living expenses every year.

One of the all time great MLS players probably has less than a million dollars in net worth. Had a look at what a decent house costs in this city?

Those of us who got on his case for the cheque signing thing (I was one) need to acknowledge the frustration he must feel about that. We let him down as fans, I see that now. This guy is Mr MLS and he got screwed. Home grown guys who came right after him got boatloads (Landycakes got almost $5M a year his last two years).

Also...

What a fantastic player. Yes to Wall of Honour, he was a genuine great. Always put country first before club. I hope the Voyageurs name a trophy after him, best CMNT player of the year or something.

Maybe he could suit up for the Man City game. Why not?

JavierMartini
05-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Tis' a sad say for canadian soccer.

nfitz
05-12-2015, 11:57 PM
The half time salute was bush league, a brief intro as brand ambassador after the bubble soccer game. Should have been done pre game when the stadium was buzzingThere was a half-time thing for DeRo on Sunday?!? I was taking a walk around the new stand.

trane
05-13-2015, 06:16 AM
It is a very sad day for De Roogsy.

OgtheDim
05-13-2015, 06:19 AM
i don't know exactly why but i found that whole thing just so painful. like when there's a horrible standup comic on stage, you just feel uncomfortable being there.

The new host........issues with her voice. I really wanted her to succeed but her voice is waaay to nasal for this job. Rachel speaks through her throat.

molenshtain
05-13-2015, 06:22 AM
I miss Rachel.

And De Ro.

OgtheDim
05-13-2015, 06:24 AM
I miss Rachel.

And De Ro.

Indeed.

molenshtain
05-13-2015, 06:29 AM
It's early Og, don't patronize me. I'm very vulnerable at this hour.

Gringo Starr
05-13-2015, 08:25 AM
There was a half-time thing for DeRo on Sunday?!? I was taking a walk around the new stand.

I think everyone was. The stands were so empty at the time they did it it was like a CCL game, Dero is there with the cameras on him waving at empty seats, it was sad.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Mothers Day. To put them both together would have (sadly) been too long for people's patience.

This isn't his retirement after all. This is retirement from play. I still think a wall of honour could be in the cards...If they have a clue. At all.

SilverSamurai
05-14-2015, 09:59 PM
I feel for Dero. Here is his earnings history since 2005. He wouldn't have made much before then, maybe $100k/year.

http://www.spotrac.com/mls/toronto-fc/dwayne-derosario/

Total of ~$4M lifetime earnings. Half went to taxes. He had at least $100K in living expenses every year.

One of the all time great MLS players probably has less than a million dollars in net worth. Had a look at what a decent house costs in this city?

Those of us who got on his case for the cheque signing thing (I was one) need to acknowledge the frustration he must feel about that. We let him down as fans, I see that now. This guy is Mr MLS and he got screwed. Home grown guys who came right after him got boatloads (Landycakes got almost $5M a year his last two years).

Also...

What a fantastic player. Yes to Wall of Honour, he was a genuine great. Always put country first before club. I hope the Voyageurs name a trophy after him, best CMNT player of the year or something.

Maybe he could suit up for the Man City game. Why not?
I'm sure he bought his place in Scarberia well before the crazy price increases we have now.
I'm sure he's living comfortably. Maybe not rich, a la JDG, but comfy.

Would love to see him in a friendly though as a 95min sub or something.

Tis' a sad say for canadian soccer.
+1
He should have a portion of the stadium or a trophy or something named after him.
Hopefully (although I doubt it) the league does something for him at some point. Maybe during the All Star Game?

I do hope he plays some sort of role with the CSA though. The young kids need someone like him to look up to.

JavierMartini
05-16-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm sure he bought his place in Scarberia well before the crazy price increases we have now.
I'm sure he's living comfortably. Maybe not rich, a la JDG, but comfy.

Would love to see him in a friendly though as a 95min sub or something.

+1
He should have a portion of the stadium or a trophy or something named after him.
Hopefully (although I doubt it) the league does something for him at some point. Maybe during the All Star Game?

I do hope he plays some sort of role with the CSA though. The young kids need someone like him to look up to.

Exactly what a consummate professional he is.