PDA

View Full Version : Argos not welcome at BMO -commish

Billy the kid
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Commissioner wants BMO to stay SSS too.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2008/07/24/6250896-sun.html

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
No shit... I mean one of the stipulations for getting the team was a SSS.

SilverSamurai
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
FINALLY someone talks!

111_DrummerBoy
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
THANK CHRIST! I am getting sick of this $hit. It ain't going to heppen - EVER hopefully this quiets the non sense.

Mikey
07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
basically it says " I've come out on your side, please dont trash my all-star game tonight".

Thanks
Commish

noochie
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
^^ I am not so sure, he has been a proponent of the SSS since he took over. Besides 1 day is not enough to turn it around, the media has known that this has been brewing for a while, he could have issued a statement much earlier.

Iguy
07-26-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't know how many times I have to say this, there is ZERO chance of the Argos actually moving to BMO.
Trust me on this one, the Argos are at Rogers Center rent free because a few years ago they threatened to play out of York University until Rogers said they could play at Rogers Center for free (in order to raise Rogers profile), so now that the lease is coming up the Argos want to make sure they get the same deal again so they are pretending to go through negotiations to go into BMO.

Super
07-26-2008, 10:00 AM
^ Agree completely. There is no way in hell the Argos are going to move to BMO. The cost of the move would put the Argos in the red for many years to come. They would need to modify the stadium AND add another 10,000 seats. OR they can stay at Rogers Centre and keep their cash!

alexintoronto
07-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know how many times I have to say this, there is ZERO chance of the Argos actually moving to BMO.
Trust me on this one, the Argos are at Rogers Center rent free because a few years ago they threatened to play out of York University until Rogers said they could play at Rogers Center for free (in order to raise Rogers profile), so now that the lease is coming up the Argos want to make sure they get the same deal again so they are pretending to go through negotiations to go into BMO.

There is a chance SkyDome may be renovated to accomodate the Bills - meaning the Argos couldn't play there.

ExiledRed
07-26-2008, 02:56 PM
There is a chance SkyDome may be renovated to accomodate the Bills - meaning the Argos couldn't play there.

By the time that happens, TFC needs to huge enough not to be expected to accomodate the argos.

Cashcleaner
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
No shit... I mean one of the stipulations for getting the team was a SSS.

I'm pretty sure SSS was not mandatory for Toronto's bid to be succesful.

It's still not mandatory for teams nowadays, either. Seattle doesn't have one and they were awarded a club. I'm pretty sure SSS are not a prerequisite for MLS franchises, just encouraged for the obvious reasons.

profit89
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I hope the CFL folds, like that there'll be no chance of them moving in.

alexintoronto
07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
By the time that happens, TFC needs to huge enough not to be expected to accomodate the argos.

The Argos won't wait till that happens before they explore other options.

Shaughno
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure SSS was not mandatory for Toronto's bid to be succesful.

It's still not mandatory for teams nowadays, either. Seattle doesn't have one and they were awarded a club. I'm pretty sure SSS are not a prerequisite for MLS franchises, just encouraged for the obvious reasons.

Cash, I'm pretty sure it is. It's something like you have to have one in place or a viable plan to have one in place by a certain date.

Cashcleaner
07-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Seattle doesn't have a plan in place and their stay at Qwest Field is open-ended. I might be wrong, but I have yet to see anything from the league that says SSS is mandatory, only encouraged.

Razcle
07-26-2008, 09:38 PM
But the only reason seattle would need one is ensure that they get first rights over the game slots. Obviously the Seahawks schedule will dominate over the Sounders, however their league schedules only become conflicting when the MLS season is coming to an end, and the NFL generally only plays sundays which doesn't conflict with the MLS too much.

I don't know why the sounders need an SSS when their owner owns both teams. I thought the SSS idea was for teams renting out big NFL stadiums from outside tennents and not making enough gate revenue to be successful. This was the case in KC @ arrrowhead. Sounders wouldn't have this problem because they wouldn't have to pay a foreign tennent to play at Qwest.