PDA

View Full Version : Voyageur's Cup Semi Final 1st Leg - Wednesday May 6 7:30 pm

Pages : 1 [2]

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2015, 02:49 AM
I totally respected Greg's choice to rest these guys after 7 games on the road and the home opener four days later.

OgtheDim
05-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Travel reduces play quality potential in MLS.

We all know this.

We have 3 games in 7 days next week, including the second half of a 180 minute game and another trip on the road to NER to play on their turf against the toughest most physical midfield in the league.

A week tomorrow is going to be a BIG test for us.

We are only down 1 goal coming home at half time in a 180 minute game. If this was a CCL quarter final, we'd be optimistic.

No team would have taken and played its starters in that game.

Not Bruce Arena

Not Sigi Schmid

Not Jason Kries

None.

This is life in MLS people. Travel affects roster decisions in cup matches. You rest your big guns where you can.

ensco
05-08-2015, 06:44 AM
^I'd probably sit one or two of the big guns at NE too.

TFC Tifoso
05-08-2015, 07:22 AM
no reason to be so up in arms imo.....cup games, even in UEFA Champions League are all about getting your wins at home and saving face on the road.......to me TFC did exactly that.......man to man TFC has a better roster than Montreal, so I am expecting at the very least for them to equal the 1st leg result but in TFC's favour.....

I don't blame Vanney for his decisions.....that was a very tough stretch to start the season, and doesn't get much better with 4 games in 13 days coming up.....to me it comes down to a decision to either rest them in the 1st leg or 2nd, he chose the 1st and TFC was able to keep themselves in a good enough position to go full out in the 2nd......

Graeme
05-08-2015, 07:42 AM
I only blame Vanney for not subbing Hamilton on for Moore at about 65 minutes... :(

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2015, 07:56 AM
^ I'd put them to good use, haha.

This rivalry is dead.

The rivalry is not solely measured by this tournament now that Montreal are in the league. It's just built on past games from this tournament.

I could give 2 shits about the home opener past 3 points.

Pook is right, though:

The club doesn't take this seriously. We shouldn't either.

They don't take it seriously but I do.

I spent the 12 hours on a bus for a weakened side so they can look good in their one of how many home games?
Doesn't matter because the home opener is attractive and more casual eyeballs will want to be there or watch it. Houston got trounced on the weekend and not much better on Tues. TFC better win and look good doing it. They've heaped more pressure on for the next week then they needed to.

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2015, 08:08 AM
The rivalry is not solely measured by this tournament now that Montreal are in the league. It's just built on past games from this tournament.

I could give 2 shits about the home opener past 3 points.

Pook is right, though:

They don't take it seriously but I do.

I spent the 12 hours on a bus for a weakened side so they can look good in their one of how many home games?
Doesn't matter because the home opener is attractive and more casual eyeballs will want to be there or watch it. Houston got trounced on the weekend and not much better on Tues. TFC better win and look good doing it. They've heaped more pressure on for the next week then they needed to.

The 12 hours on a bus is always worth it in my eyes, outside of something getting in the way I will always be at the V Cup games in Montreal. its actually a date I mark on the calender as a must attend the moment the schedule comes out. Have seen the Reds win, get trounced 6-0 and tie at zero, but the trip is always worth it.

Lennon
05-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Travel reduces play quality potential in MLS.

No team would have taken and played its starters in that game.

Not Bruce Arena

Not Sigi Schmid

Not Jason Kries

None.

2015 US Open Cup semi Seattle vs. Chicago (http://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2014/08/14/united-states/us-open-cup/seattle-sounders-fc/chicago-fire/1767235/?ICID=PL_MS_02). I count 7 starters for Seattle, and Martins coming off the bench with a 3-0 lead ...

2014 US Open Cup semi RSL vs. Portland (http://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2013/08/08/united-states/us-open-cup/real-salt-lake/portland-timbers-mls/1491558/?ICID=PL_MS_02). No players making their season debut here. Only 2 starters missing and both of them came off the bench (with a lead!).

Oh, and both traveling opponents fielded a full strength side.

Idk. In a true rivalry you never want to lose to your rival. Not in a cup, not in a friendly. Never.

---

Btw, since when is a loss with no away goals a good result?

OgtheDim
05-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Meh... 7 starters aint' a full squad. In theory we had 5 btw.

Knock yourself out. Kill the team to win the first 90 minutes of a 180 minute game, away, in the cup.

Enjoy the injuries.....

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Idk. In a true rivalry you never want to lose to your rival. Not in a cup, not in a friendly. Never.

---

Ya well nothing I see quoted disagrees with you man.

I never want to see them lose but others can look at the rivalry still kicking in the league and not care for Vcup.

Wut about the result? I made no comment on it. But since you raised the question - I wasn't impressed with it. I thought that was made apparent.

TFC Tifoso
05-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Wed's result wasn't good....but wasn't the end of the world either.......all factors considering, I guess the "good" thing about the result is that is is certainly not impossible, providing our best possible XI is out there for the 2nd leg.......I'll judge Vanney by the team he puts out for the next game, not from what happened in the first.....

Gringo Starr
05-08-2015, 01:11 PM
The 12 hours on a bus is always worth it in my eyes, outside of something getting in the way I will always be at the V Cup games in Montreal. its actually a date I mark on the calender as a must attend the moment the schedule comes out. Have seen the Reds win, get trounced 6-0 and tie at zero, but the trip is always worth it.

I was set to go on Wednesday until I found out who was being left in Toronto. Maybe if I had booked my Megabus ticket sooner I would have gone and felt okay about it but by Tuesday the price was 37 bucks each way for the buses I was looking at and when I added ticket and beer money I just didn't feel good about spending cash on a game the team didn't appear interested in winning. I love the V cup and CCL games even more, just can't figure out why the club doesn't give a sh*t about them. I don't understand why this club always talks of making a grand statement everywhere but on the field. As much as I hate the impact I was hoping they would have won the Champs league just to show up TFCs management and show em how to make a statement

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2015, 01:19 PM
I was set to go on Wednesday until I found out who was being left in Toronto. Maybe if I had booked my Megabus ticket sooner I would have gone and felt okay about it but by Tuesday the price was 37 bucks each way for the buses I was looking at and when I added ticket and beer money I just didn't feel good about spending cash on a game the team didn't appear interested in winning. I love the V cup and CCL games even more, just can't figure out why the club doesn't give a sh*t about them. I don't understand why this club always talks of making a grand statement everywhere but on the field. As much as I hate the impact I was hoping they would have won the Champs league just to show up TFCs management and show em how to make a statement

That's cool, for having booked my Megabus when tickets first went on sail, it was about $50 for my game and bus ticket combined, plus whatever I spend on beers and lunch. Bought my mega bus ticket at the same time for the Women's World Cup match in Montral at the same time so it was all reasonable.

Joe Kool
05-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Much more pressure to do well in MLS this year for TFC and for a big opening weekend so they can pump up the marketing after that. A good MLS season with playoffs means they can also increase our ticket prices. Combine that with the 7 game road trip prior and the fact that we get leg 2 at home which they probably figured just keep the score as close as possible and not use the big guys because nobody (DP level) can be injured come Sunday for marketing reasons. TFC was never going to take the game seriously. Hoping the match on Wednesday will be totally different.

Gringo Starr
05-08-2015, 01:49 PM
That's cool, for having booked my Megabus when tickets first went on sail, it was about $50 for my game and bus ticket combined, plus whatever I spend on beers and lunch. Bought my mega bus ticket at the same time for the Women's World Cup match in Montral at the same time so it was all reasonable.

Good deal, I should learn to book earlier...

Gringo Starr
05-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Much more pressure to do well in MLS this year for TFC and for a big opening weekend so they can pump up the marketing after that. A good MLS season with playoffs means they can also increase our ticket prices. Combine that with the 7 game road trip prior and the fact that we get leg 2 at home which they probably figured just keep the score as close as possible and not use the big guys because nobody (DP level) can be injured come Sunday for marketing reasons. TFC was never going to take the game seriously. Hoping the match on Wednesday will be totally different.

I get your argument but the club didn't take the V cup seriously last year either and we had gotten off to a good start but like you say hopefully this Wednesday is different, going into the match with an away goal or two would have been nice though...

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

And I booked a week and a half before the match and my bus price was the same as CB's. Just so you can gauge next time...

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2015, 01:59 PM
And I booked a week and a half before the match and my bus price was the same as CB's. Just so you can gauge next time...

I recommend booking early if you can, but yes it can go up in price gradually or pretty quickly depending on the day and time of year as evident on when FYR bought his.

Lennon
05-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Ya well nothing I see quoted disagrees with you man.

I never want to see them lose but others can look at the rivalry still kicking in the league and not care for Vcup.

Wut about the result? I made no comment on it. But since you raised the question - I wasn't impressed with it. I thought that was made apparent.

I guess I don't understand how they can not care for it. Winning it gives us a spot in the CCL which is the most prestigious/difficult competition TFC can (realistically) win, imo.

Yea that last part wasn't directed at you.

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2015, 02:25 PM
u guys are brave on megabus

took it once to NY, thought I was gonna die. besides the most uncomfortable seats ever, the driver was a nut job

Gringo Starr
05-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Yeah I kinda F ed myself by waiting as long as I did but even cheaper I would have been ticked about the line up. I know the games are always better in person but was this one hard to watch, it was dreadfull watching on line even with Dobson muted

Lennon
10-25-2015, 10:59 PM
So, somehow with CCL games to open the season and the 2 leg final vs Vancouver, Montreal managed to finish 3rd in the east while giving 100% in all competitions.

Yea I'm still mad we threw this game.