PDA

View Full Version : Carl Robinson's Latest Blog

ChrisLav
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Carl Robinson's Latest Blog:

Huge blow in the Canada Cup as striker shortage starts to cost us... by Carl Robinson

Published Date: 24 July 2008
By Carl Robinson
WE knew that it was going to be a big week for us with two massive matches for us, both in the league and in the Canada Cup, so the build
up to the weekend was very exciting.....

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/columnists/Huge-blow-in-the-Canada.4322225.jp

dupont
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
"It was total devastation as we sat in the changing room at the end of the match. I've been in some sad dressing rooms throughout my life, like Wolves blowing a 12-point lead to West Brom, like Sunderland losing on penalties in the play offs and Wales losing in the play off against Russia for euro 2004, and this feeling was right up there with them."

It's shit that we are out but I'm just glad to know that the players took this match as seriously as we all did. I would hate to think that they just didn't care.

Oldtimer
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
He seems to think that strikers are on the way...

sweetlemon69
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Robbo is such a great addition to our team. I really hope he sticks around for a long time.

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Robbo is such a great addition to our team. I really hope he sticks around for a long time.

Modest too...I seem to recall it was his brilliant tackle that started the play that set up Ricketts' goal.

ensco
07-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Modest too...I seem to recall it was his brilliant tackle that started the play that set up Ricketts' goal.

Sort of. It created the turnover, that led to the throw in, that lead to the pass to Brennan....

Blazer
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
A couple of things that concern me with this article:

1 - He was left sitting in the change room after the loss to Montreal wondering if they had done enough to go through?! You mean to tell me that they didn’t know they had to win outright to advance?! Yeah, sounds like it meant a lot to you guys, right up there with the Wolves and Sunderland defeats as you mention…

2 - And how does having a packed house at BMO result in SJ sitting back and playing a defensive game?! I hope he doesn’t get his motivation to play from us rather than from winning and being a champion?!

I don’t want to be critical of the guy because I quite like him and have no reason to think he’s anything short of a nice guy but Christ, don’t say shit that you don’t mean either.

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Sort of. It created the turnover, that led to the throw in, that lead to the pass to Brennan....

Either way, great tackle :)

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM

1 - He was left sitting in the change room after the loss to Montreal wondering if they had done enough to go through?! You mean to tell me that they didn’t know they had to win outright to advance?! Yeah, sounds like it meant a lot to you guys, right up there with the Wolves and Sunderland defeats as you mention…

2 - And how does having a packed house at BMO result in SJ sitting back and playing a defensive game?! I hope he doesn’t get his motivation to play from us rather than from winning and being a champion?!

I don’t want to be critical of the guy because I quite like him and have no reason to think he’s anything short of a nice guy but Christ, don’t say shit that you don’t mean either.

I think he knew it was a win or go home game...

From the article "This had become a pressure game for us, and there was added spice that we needed to win the game, anything else would see Montreal through."

And I also think in those last paragraphs he had come to the conclusion that after the 4 games they played they didn't do enough to win.

And I didn't see the SJ game...well I did but it was in between my wedding photos and the reception...bit of a hectic day but I got a little TFC into it though.

Blazer
07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
It’s easy to write after the fact that they knew they had to win but suggesting that they were sitting in the changeroom right after the game wondering:

“All I could say is did we do enough to win the game? In fact, did we do enough to qualify, as this was over a 4 game mini group and not just one game...the answer was clearly no we hadn't and so we were out.”

This to me suggests that they really didn’t know what the fuck was truly going on.

shaggingscot
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM

What exactly does he say that you think he's being less than honest about?

Cambridge_Red
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I think he was trying to say if they put enough effort into the game to deserve to win. It would be pretty fucking stupid to contradict something he just wrote.

noochie
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

I am pretty sure he meant that the effort was there... or perhaps he meant, Cunny is a useless twat. ;)

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I think I was a a little too literal. You have a pretty good point, they should have realized the gravity of the game before the ball was kicked off. But then again they should have realized the gravity of all of the games in the series.

Blazer
07-24-2008, 01:54 PM
^ I never said he was being dishonest. I'm just concerned that he mentions that after the game they were left sitting in the changeroom wondering if they had done enough to qualify which maybe suggests that some or most didn't really know that a win was necessary.

Blazer
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I think I was a a little too literal. You have a pretty good point, they should have realized the gravity of the game before the ball was kicked off. But then again they should have realized the gravity of all of the games in the series.

What do you mean you were too literal? I'm talking about what he said directly in the article about sitting in the change room after the game wondering if they had done enough to advance. This should be alarming.

Blazer
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I am pretty sure he meant that the effort was there... or perhaps he meant, Cunny is a useless twat. ;)

I'm pretty sure he meant Cunny is a useless twat. LOL

shaggingscot
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
What do you mean you were too literal? I'm talking about what he said directly in the article about sitting in the change room after the game wondering if they had done enough to advance. This should be alarming.

Like the others said he wasn't questioning if they had qualified but more doing an after the fact questioning of their effort. I'm sure we've all done at one point or another, if I had done this differently maybe we would have scored one more goal?

You don't think a professional footballer knows going into the match that they need to win?

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
So this has been a disappointing week for me and the boys here.
Oh, and to top it off it's rained two days on the trot, something that just never happens in Toronto....

? It rained like everyday in June. Otherwise another fine addition of "As the Robbo turns" (someone on the usector board calls it that, though it was kind of funny).

Lets hope he’s right that it’s striker time soon. Got to think they’re going have to grab a "plan F" kind of guy just for the sake of numbers. Maybe someone like Ramon Calliste?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramon_Calliste

shaggingscot
07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant Cunny is a useless twat. LOL

I'm pretty sure Carver said it for everyone on the team

Blazer
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
^Well I’d rather not put words in a guys mouth or try to assume what he meant. Instead, I take what he actually says and allow that to process. I’m not suggesting that he or the others didn’t know that a win was necessary but I do question their preparation for a game that obviously meant a lot more to us than them.

It has nothing to do with professionalism. It’s the coach’s responsibility to gear these guys up for games that players don’t normally follow on their own because they’re busy training, etc. Players rely on this from their coaches and it’s one of their many roles.

noochie
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
There is a dude playing in the USL for Miami (I think). His name is Afonso... Miami is hanging around the middle to low end of the USL pack and would gladly welcome some money if someone wanted to take him off their hands, or at least I think they would...

shaggingscot
07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
^Well I’d rather not put words in a guys mouth or try to assume what he meant. Instead, I take what he actually says and allow that to process. I’m not suggesting that he or the others didn’t know that a win was necessary but I do question their preparation for a game that obviously meant a lot more to us than them.

It has nothing to do with professionalism. It’s the coach’s responsibility to gear these guys up for games that players don’t normally follow on their own because they’re busy training, etc. Players rely on this from their coaches and it’s one of their many roles.

Keep in mind he's a footballer and not a trained journalist. As far as preparation goes the last person I'd question is Robbo, he's the backbone of our midfield. Throws himself all over the pitch and plays with emotion, if only some of it rubbed off on some of the others he plays with. He's a true professional.
I also find it refreshing that he compares the loss to some of the big losses in his earlier days back home, to me that does show just how much it meant to him.
Still gutted at the outcome but at least we know one player cared.

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 02:12 PM

I meant that it seems I took what he said about it being a must win game too literally because he seems to muddle that point by what he says at the end of the column.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Alex Alfonso, not a bad idea. I though the MLS allowed for month-to-month contracts. Why not grab someone like Alfonso and give him a chance to earn a spot?

Alfonso’s wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Afonso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Afonso)

His Miami FC profile: http://www.miamifc.com/player.php?id=64&osCsid=&seasid=4&tseasid=1

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Keep in mind he's a footballer and not a trained journalist. As far as preparation goes the last person I'd question is Robbo, he's the backbone of our midfield. Throws himself all over the pitch and plays with emotion, if only some of it rubbed off on some of the others he plays with. He's a true professional.
I also find it refreshing that he compares the loss to some of the big losses in his earlier days back home, to me that does show just how much it meant to him.
Still gutted at the outcome but at least we know one player cared.

All very good points. Ricketts was another one that looked like he gave everything he had on the pitch on Tuesday night.

shaggingscot
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
All very good points. Ricketts was another one that looked like he gave everything he had on the pitch on Tuesday night.

Agreed, i think Ricketts is finally starting to find his form. My only worry is that someone will try and sign him back home next season if it continues.

Sonny Cheeba
07-24-2008, 02:21 PM
does he have an editor for this?

spelling mistakes.

yeah i'm focusing on the wrong issue. whatever.

ACSertL
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Agreed, i think Ricketts is finally starting to find his form. My only worry is that someone will try and sign him back home next season if it continues.

It is a possibility that all he is doing is raising his stock for a transfer back to England. But this is MLS&E we're talking about...surely there is a 'no transfer' clause in his contract! :)

Stugatzo
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
"It was total devastation as we sat in the changing room at the end of the match. I've been in some sad dressing rooms throughout my life, like Wolves blowing a 12-point lead to West Brom, like Sunderland losing on penalties in the play offs and Wales losing in the play off against Russia for euro 2004, and this feeling was right up there with them."

It's shit that we are out but I'm just glad to know that the players took this match as seriously as we all did. I would hate to think that they just didn't care.

I love Robbo...but why'd he have to go there??!!!

london_tfc_fan
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
^ I never said he was being dishonest. I'm just concerned that he mentions that after the game they were left sitting in the changeroom wondering if they had done enough to qualify which maybe suggests that some or most didn't really know that a win was necessary.

thats not at all wat he means!!! clearly he means that he was reflecting on the teams performance throughout the tourney and whether he thought it was good enough for to win, and he thought not!!

Kevvv
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
thats not at all wat he means!!! clearly he means that he was reflecting on the teams performance throughout the tourney and whether he thought it was good enough for to win, and he thought not!!

That's very obviously what he meant. Just a few lines before, he says "The game ended and we were out." then "It was total devastation as we sat in the changing room at the end of the match. " He goes on to say "In fact, did we do enough to qualify, as this was over a 4 game mini group and not just one game...the answer was clearly no we hadn't and so we were out."

No ambiguity there.

TicTacTabarnack
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Oh ... Cunny's uselessness ... It's like :deadhorse:

hehehe ... just wanted to use that emoticon again :p

zeelaw
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
It was total devastation as we sat in the changing room at the end of the match. I've been in some sad dressing rooms throughout my life, like Wolves blowing a 12-point lead to West Brom, like Sunderland losing on penalties in the play offs and Wales losing in the play off against Russia for euro 2004, and this feeling was right up there with them.

Wow, shows how commited he is?

jloome
07-25-2008, 12:32 AM

Dude, you're missing the fucking point. He wasn't being literal; the players were wonderng whether they'd worked hard enough to go through, not whether the result was enough.