PDA

View Full Version : Is Bendik the right guy

nick.mastro
04-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But what do you guys think? Those goals were pretty pathetic, and also looking at last year the position we were in with julio Caesar and then what happened once he left

Alixir
04-05-2015, 04:20 AM
No....

PAOK17
04-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I said it in multiple game threads and will mention it here. Quite simply he is not good enough for a team that has aspirations of becoming great. He has athleticism and quick reflexes- like any other keeper in any other league. Good goalkeepers are no longer defined by shot stopping ability. Does he make big saves? Yes. Would any other keeper make those saves? Probably. Does the overall lower quality of MLS finishing where strikers on breakaways will shoot the ball right at a keeper on breakaways when under pressure inflate his quality? I'd say so.

He lacks the skills of any good quality keeper. These are commanding his box, being comfortable with the ball at his feet, being able to play a decent pass/long ball, coming out for crosses, knowing where to punch the ball, etc.

Aside from Cesar, who obviously was the best keeper we'll ever have for a long time, the only other keeper we had that I noticed that had any decent command of the box and comfort with distribution was Kocic.

reggie
04-05-2015, 10:04 AM
yes...other then he is slow,stays on his line,is bad on low shots and cant pass the ball..he is great.

Milanista
04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
I think people who watch footy can easily spot a confident keeper and he isn't one of them...yeah he makes some decent saves, but lets in a lot of bad goals. He is a good backup and nothing more IMO

CBTFC
04-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Surely there's a quality backup keeper riding the pines somewhere in Europe that we could lure over here. Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.

Qman
04-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Surely there's a quality backup keeper riding the pines somewhere in Europe that we could lure over here. Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.

the better be scouting in europe right now!!!!!!!!!!!

OgtheDim
04-05-2015, 10:45 AM
...Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.

Not sure about that. Rimando has been around a long time in this league, and he's the best the MLS has right now. That and no keeper is going to come over here for $150K a year (and no, we should not be using allocation on a keeper, let alone a DP).

Bendik is a serviceable MLS level keeper. He will get better with age. I compare him to the rest of the league and he's OK. Not spectacular. He's not a major issue for us.

barticusz
04-05-2015, 10:54 AM
I've been a Bendik supporter and for the most part he plays his role well. Yesterday was atrocious though, and that needs to change. Granted we were a depleted backline again. Still, the team needs to play better team defence if it wants to start winning games.

Ultra & Proud
04-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Bendik is a serviceable MLS level keeper. He will get better with age. I compare him to the rest of the league and he's OK. Not spectacular. He's not a major issue for us.
Last year there was a statistical break down of all MLS GKs and if I recall correctly Bendik was lower bottom half on all the GK rankings. He isn't any better this year and I haven't seen any improvement from him in his time here. He is the same as always; good shot stopper, poor everything else.

[NBF]
04-05-2015, 12:44 PM
About fucking time, you all started coming around. Its not that he's not a decent backup, but his development has stalled and is not getting any better. There's definitely better choices out there.

I havent seen enough of Dwayne Miller to say he's better than Bendik, but he's definitely a player to be looking at since he has 30 appearances for Jamaica and is currently unattached.

TFC Cityboy
04-05-2015, 01:03 PM
what's this Alex Bono like? Ready to try?

Agree Joe is a decent shot stopper but his command of the box and distribution is awful.
Having said that, if we could play a formation that does not leave our back 4 so exposed, I doubt we'd even be discussing this. 4-3-3 with two wide strikers who do not track back leaves the defence exposed. Seems all opposition coaches know RB to be an issue for us, and with Findlay a passenger and Osorio less than a stellar ball winner, it is all coming down that side like a leaky tap, leading to Joe being crazily overworked.

He was at fault on at least 2 of the goals last night but saved our ass on several other occasions where lesser shotstoppers would have let them in.

Yohan
04-05-2015, 01:39 PM
If you can find an upgrade to Bendik for the right price, sure.

But GK is not even the biggest problem right now.

1. RB.
2. Veteran 3rd CB, considering both Perquis and Caldwell are getting injured more often than not.
3. Pair of wingers who can cross and track back
4. DM so Bradley can play box to box
5. Back up to Gio if he ever goes down, and we have no one who can take his spot.
6. Then GK

Leedsoronto
04-05-2015, 01:51 PM
No .........

portu
04-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Agree Joe is a decent shot stopper but his command of the box and distribution is awful.
Having said that, if we could play a formation that does not leave our back 4 so exposed, I doubt we'd even be discussing this. 4-3-3 with two wide strikers who do not track back leaves the defence exposed. Seems all opposition coaches know RB to be an issue for us, and with Findlay a passenger and Osorio less than a stellar ball winner, it is all coming down that side like a leaky tap, leading to Joe being crazily overworked.

He was at fault on at least 2 of the goals last night but saved our ass on several other occasions where lesser shotstoppers would have let them in.
Bono's been absolute shit for TFC II by all accounts so hardly an option for the first team

barticusz
04-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Not sure why Bono is ahead of Q. He's given up 7 goals in 3 games.

OgtheDim
04-05-2015, 04:17 PM

He was not very good in the couple of games I saw (didn't see last night). Some decent saves but his distribution is bad and.............wait I've heard this somewhere before.

pdubs
04-05-2015, 07:49 PM

1. RB.
2. Veteran 3rd CB, considering both Perquis and Caldwell are getting injured more often than not.
5. Back up to Gio if he ever goes down, and we have no one who can take his spot.
6. Then GK

my thoughts exactly.

jazzy
04-05-2015, 08:00 PM

1. RB.
6. Then GK

Well said...... But....... Can hardly wait, ....there goes another 8 years..... 😑

king10
04-05-2015, 11:30 PM

1. RB.
6. Then GK

I dunno I'd rather have a new keeper before having backups to Gio and caldwell/ perquis.

Keeper is playing game in and game out. Can't prioritize signings for players who would be first off the bench when you have an incapable keeper starting and playing as poorly as bendik.

Yohan
04-05-2015, 11:31 PM
I dunno I'd rather have a new keeper before having backups to Gio and caldwell/ perquis.

Keeper is playing game in and game out. Can't prioritize signings for players who would be first off the bench when you have an incapable keeper starting and playing as poorly as bendik.
just be glad TFC didn't spend DP money on a GK and watch him flub around like fish (did anyone else see Rais M'Bohli tonight?)

most MLS starters get paid around 150k-200k, and you generally get a decent shot stopper. if you want someone better, you pay a little more. but then you get into cap management issues.

in world market, 150-200k doesn't get you that good of a GK either.

if you want a GK who can do everything in MLS, you basically have to grow your own. hopefully that's what Q or Bono turns into.

though I hear Dan Kennedy might be available...

Lumpy
04-06-2015, 06:39 AM
I think Bendik is a "keeper".

Greatest Ripoff
04-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Bono has not been great for TFCII. Would like to see Roberts given a go to see if he can do any better. He did well at that level last year.

richardtfc
04-06-2015, 08:20 AM
POLL: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll285786xcC2386a3-11

I know a lot of people on here are going to say that TFC has no defense, and that is the reason why other teams are scoring at will. Even more will protest that Bendik is the best GK in MLS, but its the team around him is the reason for any negatives associated with his name. However, I believe that is not the case. I think he is a mediocre MLS GK at best. He is decent at getting off of the ground quickly, but other than that his game is average. Last game really showed how bad of a GK he really is. In the offseason I thought he should've been out of there along with Vanney, but they decided to stick with him. I gave him a chance this season, but now I think it's time for him to go. Try the backup, or bring in someone else. Idk Julio Cesar maybe? Lol I'm joking about that, I know someone on here would think that I am serious. But really Bendik has to go!!!

KGH
04-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Are you kidding me?

Super
04-06-2015, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game.

richardtfc
04-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Are you kidding me?

No, I'm absolutely serious. You are probably under the notion that the defense is sooooo terrible that we are lucky Bendik saves anything.

Super
04-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Julio Cesar looks to be setup nicely at Benfica:

On 26 January, Júlio César set the fourth best record ever at Benfica without conceding a goal in the Portuguese league: 808 minutes.[27] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BAlio_C%C3%A9sar_%28football_goalkeeper,_born _1979%29#cite_note-27)

spark
04-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Not sure why Bono is ahead of Q. He's given up 7 goals in 3 games.

I'll put on my tinfoil hat. If you're in the USMNT system (Bendik and Bono) you will get all the chances in the world to prove yourself. They will take top priority in this league every day of the week.

I also agree w Yohan re priorities. If LAG can win a cup with Josh Saunders then we should do better w Bendik.

richardtfc
04-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Yeah, It really couldn't hurt to try someone new. Bendik is average at best. There are a lot of average people out there...

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 08:56 AM

1. RB.
6. Then GK

I'd prioritize defense even more heavily

1. RB
2. Vet CB
3. DM
4. Wings
5. Seba backup
6. GK

Bendik is serviceable and we could win with him there. I's rate him mid-table MLS ranking keeper which is fine enough for now. An improvement would be a luxury IMO.

Ultra & Proud
04-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Me neither as long as Konopka doesn't see the field. Bendik may be average but Konopka is abysmal. Give Roberts a go maybe.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Threads merged.

Feel free to look for the poll.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 09:05 AM
more will protest that Bendik is the best GK in MLS, but its the team around him is the reason for any negatives associated with his name. However, I believe that is not the case. I think he is a mediocre MLS GK at best. He is decent at getting off of the ground quickly, but other than that his game is average. Last game really showed how bad of a GK he really is. In the offseason I thought he should've been out of there along with Vanney, but they decided to stick with him. I gave him a chance this season, but now I think it's time for him to go. Try the backup, or bring in someone else. Idk Julio Cesar maybe? Lol I'm joking about that, I know someone on here would think that I am serious. But really Bendik has to go!!!

No one thinks he is the best keeper in MLS. I think stats would reflect that.

Feel free to correct me if there's those out there that do think he's better than his stats and he's the number one keeper in MLS.

This seems like a simplification of what ails our team. Concentrating on a keeper usually is. Or the coach FTM...

richardtfc
04-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Thread was merged :picard:. I still want your Bendik opinions guys. Link to POLL: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll285786xcC2386a3-11

Carts
04-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Thread was merged :picard:. I still want your opinions on Bendik guys. LINK TO POLL: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll285786xcC2386a3-11

As I said in the previous thread...

Sometimes keepers, like any player, need a shakeup...

We've lost 3-games in-a-row and conceded 7-goals - I have no problem with Vanney putting in Roberts to shake things up.

BUT, based on Vanney's complete inept ability to in-game adjust and secure crucial road points - I'm not holding my breath.

Carts.

OgtheDim
04-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Konopka isn't a starter. He's a slightly worse version of Bendik.

There is no need to bench Bendik now and create a shit storm that would make the Bradley takes over as captain thing look like a mild disagreement.

This is a discussion for towards the end of the season and for 2016.

BuSaPuNk
04-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Konopka isn't a starter. He's a slightly worse version of Bendik.

There is no need to bench Bendik now and create a shit storm that would make the Bradley takes over as captain thing look like a mild disagreement.

This is a discussion for towards the end of the season and for 2016.

Exactly Bendik is the best we got and should be starting every game. It's not Bendiks fault he's got a different back four in front of him every game.

Until we see some stability in the back were always going to be conceding goals. Hopefully Bloom can step in and show Vanney he's the best guy for the RB position. That's our big hole that once it's filled should allow our defensive unit to play more to there strengths.

OgtheDim
04-06-2015, 09:40 AM
BUT, based on Vanney's complete inept ability to in-game adjust

Carts.

How soon we forget.

Adjustments made in Vancouver and RSL won praise in here. Couldn't adjust much when down Morrow unjustly in Columbus. Made a mistake in keeping Crevalle on too long in Chicago.

Pretty par for the course for a manager in MLS actually.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
How soon we forget.

Adjustments made in Vancouver and RSL won praise in here. Couldn't adjust much when down Morrow unjustly in Columbus. Made a mistake in keeping Crevalle on too long in Chicago.

Well said. Good to keep track of it. I'm sure the flip of this is that Creavalle was getting his chance to prove and fell short. If we saw Vanney ignore it and started him anyway for a full 90 and struggling next against Dallas then...

Carts
04-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Exactly Bendik is the best we got and should be starting every game. It's not Bendiks fault he's got a different back four in front of him every game.

Until we see some stability in the back were always going to be conceding goals. Hopefully Bloom can step in and show Vanney he's the best guy for the RB position. That's our big hole that once it's filled should allow our defensive unit to play more to there strengths.

We can't panic - but we can't do nothing either...

Sometimes shakeups are needed - and by starting a different keeper often its to rattle the cage of the rest of the 11, not just the keeper himself...

Let's face it, Vanney is the KING of DO NOTHING DIFFERENT. The lads bust their ass to equalize in the 88th minute in Salt Lake, and instead of flooding the backend and midfield for the restart, we have 3-up-top and concede in 40-seconds, so they chances if him changing anything is just a hair above nil...

BUT, a shakeup isn't always a bad thing. I don't know who I'd go for, Roberts or Knopka as I don't watch training everyday - but I would do something. Keeping the ball out of our net is a team game - and we all know keeper is the loneliest position on the pitch. Changing it up for a match should light a fire under the rest of the squad to say "your defensive play simply isn't good enough!"...

I'd rather have a Manager & Club that sees the value in every point, and works & adjusts to try and secure each and every one. Consistency is excellent, but not at then expense of accountability.

EARN THE SHIRT - every game! And know that you're not just earning your own, but the 10-men on the pitch with you.

Carts.

Carts
04-06-2015, 09:49 AM
How soon we forget.

RSL????? Wowzers!!!! Certainly not from me...

Wrong thread, but would love to know how people thought that after we equalized having 3-men in our 18-yard box vs 4-attackers / plus 3 attackers high up the pitch is the proper adjustment after equalizing...

Easy to make an adjustment during the 15mins at the half - tough to do it on the fly...

I also blame the captain for not just taking the reigns and barking out orders himself if it didn't come from the sidelines - that's where we miss Caldwell the most - he'd take the reigns and get everyone focused immediately...

Anyways, BACK ON TOPIC. I really LIKE Bendik as a keeper - I think the shakeup needs to be made to get the rest of the lads tails up. We can't switch out the entire 11, so doing a position such as keeper is a statement...

Is it fair? Not always. But I'd rather be proactive and kick some ass now, then 10-games from now if things "don't just turn around" on their own. That's all...

Well said. Good to keep track of it. I'm sure the flip of this is that Creavalle was getting his chance to prove and fell short. If we saw Vanney ignore it and started him anyway for a full 90 and struggling next against Dallas then...

Poorly said. I never praised him for a second. For the reason above.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Poorly said. I never praised him for a second. For the reason above.

My comment was on Vanney adjusting in Vancouver and Creavalle getting more time than we all wanted that last game.

OgtheDim
04-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Fair enough criticism of my wording, Carts. I stand corrected.

You are consistent in your critiques.

king10
04-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Positioning on set pieces and crosses are his fault though. You dont set up a wall to cover half the net then take a first step behind your wall exposing the entire side of the net you are responsible to cover.

His positioning and distribution is sorely lacking. Thats not on the defence.

Carts
04-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Positioning on set pieces and crosses are his fault though. You dont set up a wall to cover half the net then take a first step behind your wall exposing the entire side of the net you are responsible to cover.

His positioning and distribution is sorely lacking. Thats not on the defence.

These games are really tough, b/c the lads are really working their tails off out there, playing much better at times - but letting these events kill the points...

And agreed, his position after setting up the wall was totally incorrect - no question... He didn't have confidence in the wall doing it's job...

But my biggest beef with that play is that nobody on the pitch noticed & reacted when Chicago was obviously going to touch the ball past the wall (after they read the setup) and charged. You might not get to the ball, but you rush the shot... Although I say the "captain" should take charge of this - I think it falls on the leader of the back-4 just as much...

Was it because of the 10-men situation? Definitely.
But Bendik, Bradley, or one of the back-4 should have identified the Number-1 risk to the goal - that being after a small touch there was a clean look on goal from 28-yards out...

If Chicago can pick out a perfect dead ball chip onto a charging header into a crowded box and score - well good on them. But TFC needed to identify and remove the number-1, direct risk, to goal...

Biggest thing now, LEARN FROM IT! We made two mistakes on the play (Bendik positioning & not reading the play) if we don't make those said mistakes again - we're moving onward & upward! That is something Vanney needs to hammer home during video this week...

Carts...

CountryoverClub
04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Stillo from Parma?

reggie
04-06-2015, 02:48 PM
no way he sits bendik...he is one of the vanneys pets along with findley and creavalle.

69Chevy396
04-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Yup, there was a Swiss player, named Frei. Wonder if we could get a guy like that.

Yohan
04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Yup, there was a Swiss player, named Frei. Wonder if we could get a guy like that.
Frei is not much better than Bendik, if at all. we used to yell at Frei for making the same mistakes Bendik makes

69Chevy396
04-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Frei is not much better than Bendik, if at all. we used to yell at Frei for making the same mistakes Bendik makes
From MLS.Soccer:

2014 (Seattle): Frei appeared and started in all 34 regular season matches, playing for a full 3,060 minutes. Frei ranked sixth in MLS with 99 saves and third with nine shutouts. His 20 wins set a league record in the postshootout era. In his club debut, Frei recorded a shutout in the season opener versus Sporting Kansas City (March 8). Frei recorded his career-high 10th win at Chicago Fire (June 7). He made a season-high five saves at Montreal (March 23). In the U.S. Open Cup, Frei went 300 minutes with one shutout. During the MLS Cup Playoffs, Frei started all games, posting a 1-1-2 record with one shutout. Frei was a nominee for MLS Comeback Player of the Year.

ensco
04-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Bendik is fine. GK is pretty fungible at this level.

Cesar didn't look special when he was here to my eye, he needed to be in a better league for his bigger skill set to matter.

Brooker
04-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Man, I wish Bendik was our problem.

Yohan
04-06-2015, 04:45 PM
From MLS.Soccer:

2014 (Seattle): Frei appeared and started in all 34 regular season matches, playing for a full 3,060 minutes. Frei ranked sixth in MLS with 99 saves and third with nine shutouts. His 20 wins set a league record in the postshootout era. In his club debut, Frei recorded a shutout in the season opener versus Sporting Kansas City (March 8). Frei recorded his career-high 10th win at Chicago Fire (June 7). He made a season-high five saves at Montreal (March 23). In the U.S. Open Cup, Frei went 300 minutes with one shutout. During the MLS Cup Playoffs, Frei started all games, posting a 1-1-2 record with one shutout. Frei was a nominee for MLS Comeback Player of the Year.

2014 Seattle Sounders: 50 Goals Against
2014 Toronto FC: 54 Goals Against

*shrug*

69Chevy396
04-06-2015, 06:54 PM
2014 Seattle Sounders: 50 Goals Against
2014 Toronto FC: 54 Goals Against

*shrug*
You must be an uber fan if you think that stat is relevant. Goals for? Western division superiority? Twenty wins versus....how many? Was it six?

Yohan
04-06-2015, 07:13 PM
You must be an uber fan if you think that stat is relevant. Goals for? Western division superiority? Twenty wins versus....how many? Was it six?
stats don't tell the whole story, but it does tell something of the story

of course Seattle Sounders blasted their opposition with goals to win their games to Supporter's Shield.

Sounders back four consisted of Yedlin-Marshall-Scott/Traore-Gonzalez, with Alonso anchoring as DM. That's a pretty solid lineup by MLS standards. Yet Sounders leaked 50 goals. Frei made a lot of spectacular saves. But he also made his share of blunders too.

you can win a lot of games when you can score something close to 2 goals a game, even if your GK is merely ok. LA and RSL who came in 2nd and 3rd had 37 and 39 goals against. What you'd expect more in line with a good team with solid GK.

ensco
04-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Only MLS GK I ever saw make a difference was Brad Guzan, and he wasn't here for long.

I remember watching a NY-Chivas game where he robbed Angel something like 6 times in 15 minutes.

Blixa
04-06-2015, 10:03 PM
If we keep this up we'll concede a lot more than 54 this year.

Shakes McQueen
04-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Bendik is fine. GK is pretty fungible at this level.

Cesar didn't look special when he was here to my eye, he needed to be in a better league for his bigger skill set to matter.

Agreed. Frankly, I think Bendik has pretty good quality in the parts of his game that matter at the MLS level Terrible distribution, but way more errant passes and screw-ups at this level anyway.

OgtheDim
04-06-2015, 10:24 PM
When I first started watching MLS back in the early 2000's, it seemed like 1 out of 4 passes by midfielders or defenders were so bad they went out for throw ins - it was like one bad pass every 45 seconds. Killed games and made the matches unpleasant to watch.

Now, with the possession and transition games MLS plays, there are only about 3 awful passes like that a game.

However, the amount of keeper kicks that go wayward is still really high. I get nobody in MLS invests in keepers, but the distribution capability is really really low still. If the cap ever goes up significantly, keeper and LB and RB skill bases should increase.

BTW, there's some speculation online that Chicago should spend DP type money/allocation to keep Shawn Johnson and DCU should use a full DP slot to keep Bill Hamid from going to Europe. I don't think either of them is all that good but apparently European scouts (or the player's agents) do. In the grand scheme of things, no keeper is worth that much of your overall player cap.

ensco
04-07-2015, 05:32 AM
^That Defoe goal on the weekend had me thinking about distribution. The Sunderland GK put a perfect 60 yard ball into the edge of the box to start that play.

I've always loved Hamid, ever since this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erdYfgregHs

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 06:37 AM
He moves....obviously.

ensco
04-07-2015, 07:04 AM
He moves....obviously.

I just like his attitude.

Fort York Redcoat
04-07-2015, 08:59 AM

Hell of a shot stopper. That's about all people didn't whine about him but hey...nostalgia.

jloome
04-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Only MLS GK I ever saw make a difference was Brad Guzan, and he wasn't here for long.

I remember watching a NY-Chivas game where he robbed Angel something like 6 times in 15 minutes.

Shit, Nick Rimando man. It happens so often they've started using the term Rimando'd to describe OTHER goalkeepers stoning people all night. Tim Howard at Metro Stars, Luis Robles at Red Bullls; there have been some exceptional keepers through MLS. Kevin Hartmann stood on his head regularly.

jloome
04-07-2015, 12:40 PM
^That Defoe goal on the weekend had me thinking about distribution. The Sunderland GK put a perfect 60 yard ball into the edge of the box to start that play.

I've always loved Hamid, ever since this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erdYfgregHs

Again, though, the example isn't exactly a rule. Pantelimon does not routinely pick out guys on the edge of the box. Also, I've seen Bendik put the ball to the same spot multiple times; I've never seen one of our strikers get anywhere near it.

T-boy
04-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Bendik is fine. I've seen no goals that other goallies might have stopped in particular. The second goal Vs Chicago went under his body, but he was also completely unsighted - it would have taken a very good save to see the ball so late to get down to make that save. You can equally blame the outfield players for not closing down the shot quick enough. The free kick was well taken, but the wall wasn't big enough and nobody (other than Osorio) tried to close down the shot.

I think we are clutching at straws a little bit if we think replacing Bendik will make all the difference right now.

Abou Sky
04-07-2015, 01:58 PM
My $.02, let Konopka suit up.

A keeper is supposed to make a couple of good saves every game, for a long time I thought that it was just Bendik's distribution that was lacking, which if he was an amazing shot stopper I could live with, but I think that Konopka at least deserves a shot, could he be worse? Of course, but he could be MUCH better and I would rather lose a game trying him out than lose a game not trying him out.

brad
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Hell of a shot stopper. That's about all people didn't whine about him but hey...nostalgia.

But he often sent the rebounds straight back out resulting in goals, instead of sending them out to the side. A cardinal sin for a goal keeper.

But it looked fantastic when he was doing it, and folks often ignored this.

brad
04-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Players make mistakes. Players in the MLS generally make more mistakes due to the lower calibre. When it's your keeper making mistakes it is far more noticeable

Is Bendik great? Nope. Is he a serviceable MLS keeper, for sure.

Pookie
04-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Red cards seem to be part of the problem. Unless Bendik earns one of those, I'd say he's fine.

Besides, this is MLS 2015… now with a 60% chance to make the playoffs. Why worry? ;)

Yohan
04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/04/07/vote-now-mls-save-week-week-5

Ironically, Bendik is up for save of the week.

I still don't know how DCU didn't score on that Shea save sequence

ronzilla
04-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Bendik let in a few bad goals, although he also made a few good saves during the game so everything balances out.

You need a decent back line in front of him to really make any kind of judgement.

There was one play vs Chicago where Bendik was getting blasted with 3-4 shots in a row and the rest of the team was just standing around watching the ball.

Fuckin pathetic.

This needs to change real soon.

19Barrett19
04-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Bendik sucks. the team needs to look hard at this and do something about it. He scares me when he has the ball at his feet. he can't kick other than blasting it to nowhere.

T-boy
04-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Bendik sucks. the team needs to look hard at this and do something about it. He scares me when he has the ball at his feet. he can't kick other than blasting it to nowhere.

How do we know that he isn't being told to kick the ball long? This might not be "Bendik chosing only to kick" - this may be a forced tactic to get the ball clear of our back line and to let Altidore/number 9 striker try and hold the ball up.

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2015, 03:01 PM

If that's your quantifier, ball distribution, then most of our keepers struggled as much or more. It's also not the top priority for a keeper.

Sucks in a description, sucks.

ag futbol
04-09-2015, 03:07 PM
If that's your quantifier, ball distribution, then most of our keepers struggled as much or more. It's also not the top priority for a keeper.

Sucks in a description, sucks.
He's very weak in the area, more so than his predecessor. Routinely bottom quartile compared to his peers. For a while when I was checking the stats last year he was fighting one other guy for dead last. His technique is pretty bad as well. OP might be dramatic, but not making this up. Distribution, ability to sweep for a high back line, command of the box... All things people should be looking for more out of the keeper in the modern game, definitely not overrated.

I'll stand by the fact we have bigger areas of concern, but not particularly a fan.

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2015, 03:46 PM
He's very weak in the area, more so than his predecessor. Routinely bottom quartile compared to his peers. For a while when I was checking the stats last year he was fighting one other guy for dead last. His technique is pretty bad as well. OP might be dramatic, but not making this up. Distribution, ability to sweep for a high back line, command of the box... All things people should be looking for more out of the keeper in the modern game, definitely not overrated.

I'll stand by the fact we have bigger areas of concern, but not particularly a fan.

Incredibly reasonable and factual.

Very helpful when comparing any positives to those rather large negatives.

Cheers, Rollerblader!:thumbsup:

Captain Cook
04-10-2015, 06:48 PM
haha just seen this on reddit

http://i.imgur.com/PoR67A8.gif

gate7
04-11-2015, 01:25 PM
haha just seen this on reddit

http://i.imgur.com/PoR67A8.gif

^definitely an A+ moment for Bendik.... ..The problem is that in comparison to Frei Bendik sucks a lot. In actuality he only sucks a normal amount.

Ultra & Proud
04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
^definitely an A+ moment for Bendik.... ..The problem is that in comparison to Frei Bendik sucks a lot. In actuality he only sucks a normal amount.
Frei wasn't much better according to GK stats last season.

gate7
04-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Frei wasn't much better according to GK stats last season.

You might be right (i havent compared the stats too closely) but i still believe there is a very large improvement that can be made in goal.

Steelers7
04-13-2015, 07:37 AM
You might be right (i havent compared the stats too closely) but i still believe there is a very large improvement that can be made in goal.

Question is what would have happened had Frei not got injured?
Would the team be the same as it is now?

I will say he's the best keeper the team has had in the 9 years its been around and its not even close.

portu
04-13-2015, 10:05 AM
I think the question with Bendik is are you willing to gamble on a foreign keeper on a free to improve the position?
How desperate are you?

http://www.theplayersagent.com/profile/56665/gino_coutinho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSx5rz6F3k
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/apr/21/gino-coutinho-cannabis-farm-haag - charged with illegal hemp cultivation, forgery and money laundering (6 months jail, 240 hours C&S)

richardtfc
04-19-2015, 11:01 AM
POLL: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll285786xcC2386a3-11

Bendik looked terrible last night. I am even more convinced he is not the right guy. I lol'd when it was almost 4-0 because the ball almost went right through his legs, but by dumb luck it hit off of his ankle.

ag futbol
04-19-2015, 11:43 AM
I think the question with Bendik is are you willing to gamble on a foreign keeper on a free to improve the position?
How desperate are you?

http://www.theplayersagent.com/profile/56665/gino_coutinho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSx5rz6F3k
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/apr/21/gino-coutinho-cannabis-farm-haag - charged with illegal hemp cultivation, forgery and money laundering (6 months jail, 240 hours C&S)
Clearly our club will be the rock of stability he needs to turn it around. We'd find out in six months he's converted half the players to low level crack dealers.

Leedsoronto
04-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Try Q for a week or two. Least he can catch a ball, sort of a usual requirement of a goal keeper unless u is called Punchdik

We see how Roberts performs as he playing starter GK tonight in place of Bono v Shite craps

JavierMartini
04-19-2015, 06:31 PM
no.....

james
04-19-2015, 09:19 PM
I havent really liked him.

gate7
04-20-2015, 09:58 AM
try a blowup doll of Ronald McDonald

barticusz
04-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Bendik is struggling with confidence for sure. He can be a good keeper but he has not looked good as of late, and that's compounding the fact that our Defense has looked horrendous. Let's not forget that we're on the road.

Ultra & Proud
04-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Bendik is struggling with confidence for sure. He can be a good keeper but he has not looked good as of late, and that's compounding the fact that our Defense has looked horrendous. Let's not forget that we're on the road.
I go back to what I said in the other thread; Bendik wasn't able to hold clean sheets when we had Nelsen's defensive system in place and a lot of that is on him. No matter what he does in a match with great saves and game savers he almost always gives up at least one bad goal per match. That might be 'okay' based on MLS logic but when you have a spotty back line and so much money invested in the squad, it's pretty stupid and also a waste to have a below average GK in goal almost as much as it is to have a below average manager running the club. Unfortunately we have both and apparently have no thoughts of changing either, no matter how grim it gets.