PDA

View Full Version : Giovinco needs more service.

ronzilla
04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
If the Reds want to win games, it's really quite simple:

Pass the f'n Ball to Giovinco !!!

The difference was like night and day during the 1st and 2nd second half
performance vs Real Shit lake.

The 1st half, Seba was getting poor service from his teammates and rarely
got any touches on the ball, yet in the 2nd half Gio was finally started getting
consistent passes and entire half changed for the better and RSL were getting mauled.

Seba needs at least 20-25 touches per half in order for him to orchestrate his magic.

You just don't leave a player of his caliber standing around with no ball.

Vanney mentioned that he wants Seba to be more selfish, although he should also mention
to the team to get the ball to seba as often as possible.

Okay I'm done my ranting. </rant>

Yohan
04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
I agree, but Gio has to get the ball in useful advanced position. If he drops too deep to get the ball, his influence becomes much more negated and more easily contained. It's one of tendencies of MLS CAMs is that they sometimes get frustrated and lose discipline and drop too deep, screwing up team shape and tactics the manager wants to implement. Bradley does the headless chicken role in deep midfield already. Gio doesn't need to do the same to try to get touches on the ball. We also don't want Gio to get the ball which puts him in a difficult position as he gets swarmed and pushed off the ball.

Chicago has a rookie in Matt Polster and Michael Stephens who does have some experience, but avg at best. If Yallop plays 4-4-2 again, he has to drop either Polster or Stephens to add Maloney, and midfield becomes even more open for TFC. Even if Yallops plays 4-1-4-1 or any variation that has 3 CMs, Maloney doesn't add much to defence. If Gio doesn't have his best game for TFC on Sat, I'd be very surprised

Red4ever
04-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Three games. Two with screw job calls.

Let's resist the temptation to make someone else a saviour rather than a vital cog in our teams mechanics. Yohan is spot on.

OgtheDim
04-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Vanney mentioned that he wants Seba to be more selfish, although he should also mention

To be fair, Vanney has been talking about this since the day Giovinco was signed. And he keeps talking about it.

Apart from Bradley, Cheyrou and Perquis, none of these guys are used to somebody to pass to with the technical skill of Giovinco.

Chicago should see the next stage of this adventure start.

[NBF]
04-01-2015, 09:23 PM
The problem is that TFC is a punt first team and Giovinco is mismatched with the players around him. The team doesn't know how to play together or in a formation with a playmaker. It seems like TFC should of gone for South American strikers rather than the Americans. If they wanted to match them to Giovinco's skills.

jazzy
04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
If the Reds want to win games, it's really quite simple:

Pass the f'n Ball to Giovinco !!!

The difference was like night and day during the 1st and 2nd hsecond half
performance vs Real Shit lake.

The 1st half, Seba was getting poor service from his teammates and rarely
got any touches on the ball, yet in the 2nd half Gio was finally started getting
consistent passes and entire half changed for the better and RSL were getting mauled.

Seba needs at least 20-25 touches per half in order for him to orchestrate his magic.

You just don't leave a player of his caliber standing around with no ball.

Okay I'm done my ranting. </rant>

Not from Findley, we've seen it before, players who are entirely selfish and simply think their job is to score as much as the capable striker who is paid to striker do the job. I like the team except for overpaid Findley.

MightyDM
04-01-2015, 10:43 PM
;1730757']The problem is that TFC is a punt first team and Giovinco is mismatched with the players around him. The team doesn't know how to play together or in a formation with a playmaker. It seems like TFC should of gone for South American strikers rather than the Americans. If they wanted to match them to Giovinco's skills.

Not any more. I've been critical of Vanney for not having a tougher team mentality defensively, but you have to give him credit for trying to have them play soccer - second halves v. Vancouver and RSL both featured little hoofball and lots of good teamwork.

ronzilla
04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
This snippet from an article from TFC website says it all.

---------

Giovinco’s First

It’s a matter of when, not if. If not for the efforts of RSL goalkeeper Jeff Attinella, Sebastian Giovinco would’ve opened his MLS account in stunning fashion from a free kick some 25 yards away from goal.

It took 60 minutes for the Reds to find a way to get Seba on the ball on a consistent basis. When they did TFC took the game to one of the better home teams in the league.

Giovinco should find less resistance against Chicago. If that’s the case expect big things from the Atomic Ant.

----------

Bring Seba into the game for the entire 90 minutes and the reds should win most of the games comfortably, regardless of the referee blunders.

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Not from Findley, we've seen it before, players who are entirely selfish and simply think their job is to score as much as the capable striker who is paid to striker do the job. I like the team except for overpaid Findley.

hopefully he's a learner, and learns the team needs to score, not him

portu
04-02-2015, 02:42 PM
hopefully he's a learner, and learns the team needs to score, not him
R we seriously expecting a 29 year old to "learn" at this point???? He is what he is and what he is is a $100 000 striker making a sickening $275 000 presumably because he played at a World Cup with Michael and Jozy. And if u don't believe that last part then go watch Michael's interview a while back where defends Robbie as if he signed him himself

OgtheDim
04-02-2015, 03:23 PM
When Findley scores, he'll be everybody's favourite #3 striker.

Oh....you mean he scored 1 of our 4 goals so far?

Geez, some of you people need to see what he does off the ball that is making him a handful. Go watch the Jackson goal and see him pull away their CD in order for Jackson to waltz through and score.

Complain complain complain.

Yes, he's overly centrally focused. As is any striker playing in a 4-3-3

Jack
04-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Findley has been fine. We shouldn't expect him to be a superstar, but he's not be terrible, that's for sure. We were missing Bradley, Morrow, Perquis and Altidore and we still had an alright game against RSL. Look at the backline we fielded, FFS! Cheyrou, Bradley, Morrow and Osorio are all capable of getting the ball to Giovinco and supporting him. The more time they spend together, the better this will be.

Alonso
04-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Geez, some of you people need to see what he does off the ball that is making him a handful. Go watch the Jackson goal and see him pull away their CD in order for Jackson to waltz through and score.

:iamwithstupid:

Again.

Thanks.

jazzy
04-02-2015, 07:38 PM

I generally agree with a lot of your views but unfortunately not on Findley. Come on, when kicked the ball into the side of the net instead of a quick pass to open Moore, pure selfish one vision thinking. And can't state the number of times he has possession and no vision. His head is always down. At $100,000 maybe and a late come on but start every game? I would love to know Giovincos take on it. I think I know. Give me the damn ball. Dike caused more disruption to Real's game than Findley. He is here for his last gasp. And no he'll never be our favourite striker. BTW I believe I stressed I love the team except for Findley's primary use. One small complaint. And I'd rather try Hamilton in there for half the game as well, instead.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Points from last match

-Seba had 2 men on him most times he received the ball. He's not on a wing with his hand up most of the time.

On Findley

- While not passing to a teamate for an easy tap in makes one look silly we had a 60/40 possession and a third of the shots they did. We need a more shooting mindset.

Milanista
04-06-2015, 08:36 AM
We gotta stop with this 4 3 3, its stupid with this current roster

stick to a 4 4 2 with Gio just behind Altidore...pack the midfield and create turnovers with gio leading the counter attack, issue i see is we have no real wingers or full backs that can consistantly pump in crosses

Yohan
04-06-2015, 09:04 AM
We gotta stop with this 4 3 3, its stupid with this current roster

stick to a 4 4 2 with Gio just behind Altidore...pack the midfield and create turnovers with gio leading the counter attack, issue i see is we have no real wingers or full backs that can consistantly pump in crosses
sounds like something Nelsen would do... or did ;)

OgtheDim
04-06-2015, 09:26 AM
The issue isn't the formation, its the RB.

Until I see a back line of Morrow Perquis Caldwell and Bloom, I'm not giving up on the 4-3-1-2 (which is more what we are doing)just yet.

4-2-2-1-1 can work too.

We've got a ton of possession and are getting passes in to the middle much better then last season. We are not seeing the endless "Henry hoofs it up to Defoe" crud we saw last season, at least. They are trying to play the ball on the ground. Just need a RB that isn't going to be targetted and thus draw Osorio back.

Carts
04-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Points from last match

-Seba had 2 men on him most times he received the ball. He's not on a wing with his hand up most of the time.

On Findley

- While not passing to a teamate for an easy tap in makes one look silly we had a 60/40 possession and a third of the shots they did. We need a more shooting mindset.

Agreed! A shot on target = anything can happen.... Just ask Jon Busch g:D...

"They Don't Ask How - They Just Ask Home Many!"

ronzilla
04-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Well there you have it.

Seba was getting much more service vs Chicago and it reflected on the score board. He is basically carrying the team on his shoulders, only to have the defense wash away all his work. He was furious after the game, yelling in the tunnel and I don't blame him one bit.

If the reds don't fix their back line, I can assure you that Gio will be gone at the end of the season, maybe even sooner.

It's so obvious that he is on a higher level than any other player in the MLS. This is one player that you want on the team for as long as possible.

Red4ever
04-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Well there you have it.

Seba was getting much more service vs Chicago and it reflected on the score board. He is basically carrying the team on his shoulders, only to have the defense wash away all his work. He was furious after the game, yelling in the tunnel and I don't blame him one bit.

If the reds don't fix their back line, I can assure you that Gio will be gone at the end of the season, maybe even sooner.

It's so obvious that he is on a higher level than any other player in the MLS. This is one player that you want on the team for as long as possible.

You signed up on this board only after the Giovinco rumours started. Makes me take the whole tone of this thread with a grain of salt.

ag futbol
04-07-2015, 06:14 PM
The issue isn't the formation, its the RB.

Until I see a back line of Morrow Perquis Caldwell and Bloom, I'm not giving up on the 4-3-1-2 (which is more what we are doing)just yet.

4-2-2-1-1 can work too.

We've got a ton of possession and are getting passes in to the middle much better then last season. We are not seeing the endless "Henry hoofs it up to Defoe" crud we saw last season, at least. They are trying to play the ball on the ground. Just need a RB that isn't going to be targetted and thus draw Osorio back.
^This (although I put limited stock in Bloom being the everyday starter).

A high quality RB for this team would work wonders. Everyone is stuffing the middle on us because all our quality is through the centre of the park and it's pretty damn potent. Creavalle has a huge platform to look potent attacking down the right side and he's done zilch.

You put a quality player back there who can actually run players and combine properly with teammates and we'll be deadly.

ronzilla
04-07-2015, 07:09 PM
You signed up on this board only after the Giovinco rumours started. Makes me take the whole tone of this thread with a grain of salt.

I couldn't care less what you think.

Red4ever
04-07-2015, 07:23 PM
I couldn't care less what you think.

Excellent! You'll fit right in here.

I'm just saying. He's a great player but this isn't a one man team and looking at the score board, we still lost.

ronzilla
04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Excellent! You'll fit right in here.

I'm just saying. He's a great player but this isn't a one man team and looking at the score board, we still lost.

You could thank the atrocious defending for the losses. Fix the back line and the problem goes away. I mean, it's so obvious, that I should not have to explain this to you.