PDA

View Full Version : Minensota - Live Expansion Announcement At Noon

Alonso
03-25-2015, 09:24 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/23/live-stream-mls-bill-mcguire-set-major-announcement-minnesota-wednesday-noon

Minesotta about to be officially given next MLS expansion team.

Live stream starts at noon.

Joe Kool
03-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Great...more expansion drafts.

Huyton
03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Rename the team to Minn United?

C.Ronaldo
03-25-2015, 10:47 AM
is NASL dead yet?

the use a raptor like North slogan aswell

Alonso
03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
We are live from Minnesota

Alonso
03-25-2015, 11:05 AM
New MLS logo is growing on me... way better than the old one for sure.

Carts
03-25-2015, 11:16 AM
New MLS logo is growing on me... way better than the old one for sure.

I just wish that each time it was use, the blank space was used...
Like right now, there should be something in terms of Minnesota in there. When with us the TFC 2nd logo (cropped in there) etc etc etc...
I don't like the blank space (TM Taylor Swift) but it is MUCH BETTER than the old one!

Alonso
03-25-2015, 11:23 AM
So they join in 2018 MLS season....

ryan
03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
So they join in 2018 MLS season....

I'd imagine Miami will be joining with them that year, to maintain divisional balance.

Initial B
03-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Not Miami, Sacramento will get the 24th spot. That will be the wake-up call for Beckham and company to get their act together.

I'm also wondering if this means they're going to accelerate expansion so that they have 28 teams by the 2020 season by adding 2 teams a year from 2017-2020.

Alonso
03-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I'd imagine Miami will be joining with them that year, to maintain divisional balance.

http://reprints.longform.org/howler-miami-marcelo-claure

This article has me wondering if the trio of owners for this bid know what they are doing....

Seems like they're dropping the ball on this one.

Detroit_TFC
03-25-2015, 11:57 AM
MSP seems like the right place with the right ownership group. MLS passing over the big money (but very sketchy on every level) Vikings owners Wilf family is a relief.

Sacramento is next, it's going to happen unless something catastrophic happens with their stadium plans.

I think Miami happens, after Garber intervenes. I'm not sure it will have long term stability. I could see both Beckham and Claure losing interest almost immediately.

After that? I'm sure some NASL owners hope they can move into MLS, it's the only way they can have any kind of ROI. NASL can't let themselves get one-at-a-timed for too long though.

Cashcleaner
03-25-2015, 01:02 PM
I will say one thing, their supporters have organized themselves pretty well. Still a fairly small group, but they've accomplished quite a bit over the years. They even have a dedicated charity branch of the group.

Dark Clouds - Minnesota United Supporters (http://www.dark-clouds.com/2015/01/complete-darkness-2014-edition-preorder/)

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10956087_848513595219794_64248418143503156_n.jpg?o h=2e4ebb08bb3d0f24d3e26eef9a0e44df&oe=55B1C0C1

kodiakTFC
03-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Congrats to Minnesota. I have a friend in the area and he assures me they'll have great attendance. He said there is a good buzz in the city for the team and that soccer is pretty big there. I think the league is happy to have another big tv midwest market.

As for who is next. Miami is suppose to have a statement in the next month or so. I'd expect it to be along the lines of "progress is being made, here are no such details." I agree that Sacramento is inevitable. San Antonio and Indy look like two other markets with great MLS ambitions/stadiums/owners. I feel like 24 by 2018/9 and 26 by 2020 is likely. I love this expansion to be honest, I follow every morsel of information. Soccer has to be the only sport where to we can just continually expand without the fear of a drop in quality due to the fact the whole world plays. I do hope that with the addition of more teams the MLS gives each team another international spot or two.

I genuinely wonder when/if Canada every gets into the discussion for a 4th team? Garber has said they're not looking at Canada right now. But at team 30.. 32.. there might be a spot for us. I do however question any city left in Canada having the ability to average 18,000 fans a game. Ottawa had a MLS big back in the day under Melnyk but lost. The Fury are up and running but I'm not seeing very encouraging numbers of out them. Edmonton is struggling despite good ownership.

GuelphStorm2007
03-26-2015, 12:35 AM
With all do respect to Minnesota I just Hope MLS is not expanding to quickly. But I think if they do put new teams in why not Sacremento. and San Antonio.

kodiakTFC
03-26-2015, 12:59 AM
I should add. MLS expansion is great but they should really focus on fixing some of the current markets. The turnaround in Columbus, Kansas and Dallas has been great but DC, Chicago and New England need help. I believe the downtown DC stadium is coming, so that'll be helpful. Chicago is a damn mess and its in a city that is crazy about its sports and a massive market. New England is worse off than Chicago in terms of infrastructure but at least their attendance seems to be improving. Imagine a downtown stadium in Boston? Montreal is also starting to be worrisome. I'm not sure anything other than a big name and some wins can fix that town.

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
So they'll be called "Minnesota Live"? Is that to accompany the "Wild"?g:D

Alonso
03-26-2015, 10:59 AM
So they'll be called "Minnesota Live"? Is that to accompany the "Wild"?g:D

Yeah the title should have a hyphen there: "Minnesota - Live Expansion Announcement at Noon".

SuperTCP
03-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Minnesota United FC

SoccMan2
03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
I think Minnesota will do well, very well, in the old NASL Minnesota was one of the better markets in the NASL's heyday, crowds of over 30 000 were pretty common in some seasons, the problem back then was not Minnesota but the league in general, as the league started falling apart you saw attendance take a hit in Minnesota when people realized that the other teams were folding around them, Minnesota would have remained strong if the league was not so weak financially . This is a great choice possibly another Seattle Portland type of support coming into the league a no brainer here.

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah the title should have a hyphen there: "Minnesota - Live Expansion Announcement at Noon".

Just kidding at their expense. Edited title as well.:thumbsup:

james
03-30-2015, 04:16 PM
I should add. MLS expansion is great but they should really focus on fixing some of the current markets. The turnaround in Columbus, Kansas and Dallas has been great but DC, Chicago and New England need help. I believe the downtown DC stadium is coming, so that'll be helpful. Chicago is a damn mess and its in a city that is crazy about its sports and a massive market. New England is worse off than Chicago in terms of infrastructure but at least their attendance seems to be improving. Imagine a downtown stadium in Boston? Montreal is also starting to be worrisome. I'm not sure anything other than a big name and some wins can fix that town.

DC are getting a new stadium. Once that is built I am pretty sure DC United will do just fine. Chicago's problem is they built the stadium pretty far out from Chicago downtown. They really should have built it in more populated area, and downtown would of been ideal. They could be in trouble further down the line as they are not building a new soccer stadium anytime soon. New England is the biggest issue, they seem to never even look at expanding to a new soccer stadium. They seem like they will just continue to play at Patriots stadium, which looks awful on TV, brutal NFL grid iron lines in the fall, and 15k fans in a 68k stadium. They don't even hide the empty seats in a good way like Vancouver and Atlanta will. They seem to just put a massive tarp on one side of the stadium. Stadium is also out in a small town, I know some cities sport teams do that a lot like in NFL, but I don't think its the best thing for most MLS teams (KC seem to do very well even tho they a fair distance from Kansas city downtown, however they might be the exception so far). Not really close to Boston. It is kind of the laughing emberrassment of MLS. A stadium built in Boston now could turn everything around. I just don't think they take MLS serious enough tho.

james
03-30-2015, 04:23 PM
If Minesota build a soccer stadium in the city I am happy for them. However I am getting a little worried how fast the league is growing, and how some teams are joining the league with no Soccer stadium. I know Vancouver and Atlanta doesn't look to bad, its still not as good as playing at a soccer specific stadium. New England looks awful playing at there over sized NFL stadium. And another worry is NYC FC. Playing at Yankee stadium for how long? are they ever going to get a proper soccer stadium? I really think teams shouldn't be able to start playing in MLS until shuvels are in the ground of a soccer stadium. Joining the league and saying "well we hope to start building in 3 years", when really it might not ever happen isn't good MLS future.