PDA

View Full Version : Justin Morrow Red Card Stands After Independent Panel Review

Alonso
03-25-2015, 09:05 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/25/independent-review-panel-denies-toronto-fc-appeal-justin-morrow-red-card

An independent review panel consisting of one representative from the United States Soccer Federation, one representative from the Canadian Soccer Association and one representative of the Professional Referees Organization (PRO) were not unanimous that the referee had made a serious and obvious error in the send-off.

Phil
03-25-2015, 09:07 AM
So majority doesn't matter, the panel has to be unanimous.

dupont
03-25-2015, 09:09 AM
It really wasn't an obvious error, especially in real time.

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Well can't fret on it now, look ahead and prepare to take 3 points in Salt Lake.

Initial B
03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Well, at least this will mean that Morrow will get the benefit of the doubt next time this happens, if karma has anything to say about it.

OgtheDim
03-25-2015, 09:22 AM
The mention of the lack of unanimity is............unusual.

Its like they are pointing out that somebody is being foolish for the sake of a stand.

Alonso
03-25-2015, 09:35 AM
The mention of the lack of unanimity is............unusual.

Its like they are pointing out that somebody is being foolish for the sake of a stand.

Probably the PRO representative.

BuSaPuNk
03-25-2015, 09:44 AM
I wonder how independent they are when the organization that hires the refs that make the decision that is in question is on the panel?

Had to be unanimous why would they side against there own employees? Unless it's completely obvious.

ronzilla
03-25-2015, 09:47 AM
That referee is a fucking idiot. He was in no position to clearly see the play, even Bradley told him "Don't guess".

At worst, he could have issued a yellow and a free kick.

The red card obviously changed the entire game and the reds were robbed of potential points.

OfficeGuy
03-25-2015, 09:48 AM
more than a couple of questionable calls this last round

-that 2 footed challenge on Collins tho...wow

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2015/03/23/elbow-music-ppl-park-mile-high-pk-shouts-and-sunday-missteps-instant-replay

FRANKIE65
03-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Shit

OgtheDim
03-25-2015, 11:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAe62WlW4AEtflG.jpg:large

Pro are tools.

ag futbol
03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
I can agree with the real time part of that. My greater concern is that Gantar is awful yet continues to be assigned games.

Derko
03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAe62WlW4AEtflG.jpg:large

Pro are tools.

We should hand out one of these picture to everyone at BMO, especially if Gantar is reffing a game at BMO

Initial B
03-25-2015, 11:44 AM
I can agree with the real time part of that. My greater concern is that Gantar is awful yet continues to be assigned games.
He's the token Canadian ref. The CSA really has to better vet their choices.

hulkrogan
03-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Watching it on TV I was livid, but after watching it in super slow motion a few times after, Morrow's upper thigh comes awfully close to contacting the Columbus players shin at nearly the same time as he contacts the ball.

It was a bad call because it was too close to make that call, especially from the position the ref was in. It was however close enough I could see one member of a review panel making the argument he didn't totally pooch it.

Too bad, we could really use Morrow this week.

jloome
03-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Watching it on TV I was livid, but after watching it in super slow motion a few times after, Morrow's upper thigh comes awfully close to contacting the Columbus players shin at nearly the same time as he contacts the ball.

It was a bad call because it was too close to make that call, especially from the position the ref was in. It was however close enough I could see one member of a review panel making the argument he didn't totally pooch it.

We could use a bye week. This is from this morning:

Molinaro reported Tuesday that defenders Stephen Caldwell (Achilles), Damien Perquis (calf), Mark Bloom (quad) and Eriq Zavaleta (ankle) are questionable for Sunday's tilt at Rio Tinto.

So... we're down to Hagglund, Jackson, Charpie... who else?

FRANKIE65
03-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Molinaro reported Tuesday that defenders Stephen Caldwell (Achilles), Damien Perquis (calf), Mark Bloom (quad) and Eriq Zavaleta (ankle) are questionable for Sunday's tilt at Rio Tinto.

Shit

flatpicker
03-25-2015, 12:50 PM
we're doomed.

Initial B
03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
It looks like it's time for the Jackson experiment to return for one more engagement...

Derko
03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
It's time to defend well in the middle third of the field. my 2 cents, if it's worth anything

RealG-TFC
03-25-2015, 02:14 PM
It looks like it's time for the Jackson experiment to return for one more engagement...

Handn't thought of that but you might be right. He's our wildcard.

http://media.giphy.com/media/IeIV1wt8IpKJG/giphy.gif

__wowza
03-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Had to be unanimous why would they side against there own employees? Unless it's completely obvious.

good point, hadn't thought of that. i wonder what the ratio on the number of cards receded has been.

according to vanney, perquis is probable.
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/580406832390361088

at least that gives us.. something?

Red4ever
03-25-2015, 03:32 PM
This fucking sours me more than the loss.

The guy should lose his fucking job. Full stop.

Jack
03-25-2015, 03:58 PM
This fucking sours me more than the loss.

The guy should lose his fucking job. Full stop.
Seriously. Full. Fucking. Stop.

hulkrogan
03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/2-3-5_%28pyramid%29.svg/422px-2-3-5_%28pyramid%29.svg.png

Richard
03-25-2015, 04:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/2-3-5_%28pyramid%29.svg/422px-2-3-5_%28pyramid%29.svg.png

I like your thinking. :hump:

WestStandGeoff
03-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Are you saying that the call was close enough that someone on the review panel could argue that the call wasn't totally horrible?

Regardless, isn't that the reason there's an appeal and a hearing? They were appealing whether the card should have bee issued, not whether the ref was out of position, or if it happened too fast for him to make the right call. Isn't the job of the panel to decide if the call is valid based on the available evidence?

OgtheDim
03-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Its my minor soccer team circa 1975.

Richard
03-25-2015, 04:22 PM
How about they disclose the final vote too, this league has a bunch of amateur clowns trying running the show and no one willing to instigate any punishment for what is truly an egregious call.

I mean lets not even look at the foul for a moment, HE CARDED THE WRONG PERSON AT FIRST. He couldn't tell the difference between the black and white guy? COME THE FUCK ON. He showed he was in no position to make any judgement as soon as he made that mistake.

BuSaPuNk
03-25-2015, 05:14 PM
good point, hadn't thought of that. i wonder what the ratio on the number of cards receded has been.

according to vanney, perquis is probable.
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/580406832390361088

at least that gives us.. something?

Yeah does seem weird doesn't it. Such a stupid way to decide things as well as a farce that its called an independent review panel.

How about they disclose the final vote too, this league has a bunch of amateur clowns trying running the show and no one willing to instigate any punishment for what is truly an egregious call.

I mean lets not even look at the foul for a moment, HE CARDED THE WRONG PERSON AT FIRST. He couldn't tell the difference between the black and white guy? COME THE FUCK ON. He showed he was in no position to make any judgement as soon as he made that mistake.

I watched it back again and the fact that he took so long to make the call talked to the linesman and the 4th official and made the mistake of giving the card to Perquis instead of Morrow blows my mind. Getting a second set of eyes on it fine, making the decision for a red that early in the game and not being able to know who was involved is criminal.

This guy shouldn't be reffing any leauge period.

MightyDM
03-25-2015, 07:54 PM

He wasnt in a proper position to make the call on the foul in the first place. I feel bad for Gantar, actually, but you can't call a foul on a close play like that if you weren't in a position to see it - it isn't what you think happened, it is what you see happen from a proper position. For example, if the goalie handles outside the box on a long kick to him and the referee is therefore the wrong side of centre where the kick came from, the referee cannot make the call.

plus he was clearly wrong :)

hulkrogan
03-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Are you saying that the call was close enough that someone on the review panel could argue that the call wasn't totally horrible?

Regardless, isn't that the reason there's an appeal and a hearing? They were appealing whether the card should have bee issued, not whether the ref was out of position, or if it happened too fast for him to make the right call. Isn't the job of the panel to decide if the call is valid based on the available evidence?

That's a good point. If there is a mechanism they could overturn the red, and say to Ganter "yeah, that was close, so you won't face any discipline for this" then I'd be fine with it, and that seems like the fair outcome.