PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bye Week

Batman
03-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Anyone have a clue why both TFC and RSL had the weekend off yet play each other next week
in down a few men, between the international dates.

Playing this week and having next week off would have made a lot more sense.

Am I missing something?

Ajax TFC
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Seems to me that all the teams should have a bye week during international dates.

ensco
03-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Could it be something as stupid as they had already agreed to host this Jetblue hiring event at Rio Tinto yesterday?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/salt-lake-city-jetblue-airways-reservations-hiring-events-see-details-below-tickets-16155253799?aff=ehomecard

ag futbol
03-22-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm going to guess it has to do with the tv deals. They want something to show every week. In time they'll learn this is not the way to handle things I'm sure...

Ajax TFC
03-23-2015, 12:58 AM
The TV providers can show international matches during the international break. Kinda like what they do everywhere else in the world. TV providers have more content than they have channels to show it on already (or in TSN's case, it's because they choose to show the same thing on four of five channels).

OgtheDim
03-23-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm going to guess it has to do with the tv deals. They want something to show every week. In time they'll learn this is not the way to handle things I'm sure...

Doubtful, given the biggest reason for US audiences to watch TFC is Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore, and there is a full weekend slate of MLS games.

CanadaLFC
03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
I think it's time for the MLS to start taking international breaks. We could be missing up to 5 players against RSL and that is a very serious handicap for us. I think there are enough internationals in the league to warrant a break.

I don't understand the bye week either.

Canary10
03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
It's ridiculous that we both had bye weeks this week and are losing half our teams next week when we are playing it. MLS scheduling is abhorrent. Why do we have bye weeks at all when we have an even number of teams?

ag futbol
03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
The TV providers can show international matches during the international break. Kinda like what they do everywhere else in the world. TV providers have more content than they have channels to show it on already (or in TSN's case, it's because they choose to show the same thing on four of five channels).
Yes... But they need to pay for those rights, something they might not be willing to do. I'm not arguing their reasoning is smart but speculating why we'd see something so incredibly stupid.

Doubtful, given the biggest reason for US audiences to watch TFC is Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore, and there is a full weekend slate of MLS games.
Oh I agree that's a good reason to delay, but I'm not sure the tv ops are very sophisticated. The commentary on average is a disaster for example. I think this is just a crude example of shovelling the product out the door because the station wants it and neither party has put enough though into what's going on here to realize there is a better way.

Initial B
03-23-2015, 12:12 PM
I think the bye weeks are placeholders for when MLS increases the number of games per season to 38. It looks like most teams have about 4 bye weeks built into their schedule.

pdubs
03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Doesn't encourage teams to get top quality players. I am sure MLS can be more creative with the schedule.