PDA

View Full Version : Our Strongest Back 4

Captain Cook
03-17-2015, 01:48 PM
It's early days yet, but our defence could really be improved on and I think this could lead to some good discussion.

Goalkeeper: Joe Bendkik

Easily our best goalkeeper, great shot stopped, but could still work on his distribution which is quite shaky. I think he could work on claiming crosses as well, he really needs to be more aggressive when coming out, I've noticed that he's reluctant to push defenders out of the way when he's going for the ball.

Right Back: Mark Bloom

I'm not Creavalle's biggest fan, so there might be a bit of bias. Solid defender, and most most importantly he's consistent. The only problem I see is that his crossing isn't that good (but he's still young, so it can still be improved). Definitely a better defender then Creavalle who isn't very disciplined (as showcased vs. Columbus) and doesn't run forward whenever he has the chance to which is good. Also, he keeps a calm head in tough situations which is also a great trait to have.

Center back pairing: Perquis - Caldwell

Perquis is a shoe in, I think. In my opinion he's our best defender (this is from when I watched him a few times at Real Betis) and should be an automatic starter. Picking Caldwell over Hagglund was definitely a tough decision, Hagglund offers pace and power, Caldwell offers experience. I went with Caldwell in the end, but it could have been either really.

Left back: Morrow

I just don't rate Morgan.

What do you guys think is our strongest defence?

Ultra & Proud
03-17-2015, 03:55 PM
It's early days yet, but our defence could really be improved on and I think this could lead to some good discussion.

Goalkeeper: Joe Bendkik

Easily our best goalkeeper, great shot stopped, but could still work on his distribution which is quite shaky. I think he could work on claiming crosses as well, he really needs to be more aggressive when coming out, I've noticed that he's reluctant to push defenders out of the way when he's going for the ball.

Right Back: Mark Bloom

I'm not Creavalle's biggest fan, so there might be a bit of bias. Solid defender, and most most importantly he's consistent. The only problem I see is that his crossing isn't that good (but he's still young, so it can still be improved). Definitely a better defender then Creavalle who isn't very disciplined (as showcased vs. Columbus) and doesn't run forward whenever he has the chance to which is good. Also, he keeps a calm head in tough situations which is also a great trait to have.

Center back pairing: Perquis - Caldwell

Perquis is a shoe in, I think. In my opinion he's our best defender (this is from when I watched him a few times at Real Betis) and should be an automatic starter. Picking Caldwell over Hagglund was definitely a tough decision, Hagglund offers pace and power, Caldwell offers experience. I went with Caldwell in the end, but it could have been either really.

Left back: Morrow

I just don't rate Morgan.

What do you guys think is our strongest defence?
Early in the season yet but from what I've seen so far I'm not sure Creavalle knows what side to keep the attacking player on when closing down. He gives up the inside always.

As for Morgan I'm not sure about anything with him anymore except that he has no place playing football in MLS.

Captain Cook
03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Early in the season yet but from what I've seen so far I'm not sure Creavalle knows what side to keep the attacking player on when closing down. He gives up the inside always.

As for Morgan I'm not sure about anything with him anymore except that he has no place playing football in MLS.

Exactly why I've chosen Bloom over Creavalle for the starting spot. Creavalle just isn't good enough defensively to hold down a starting spot, I don't trust him when we don't have possession and I don't know if his teammates do either. It may sound harsh, but he's a liability (as shown against Columbus. He got ripped a new arsehole!).

portu
03-17-2015, 04:16 PM
I'd like to think we can get by with Caldwell but there is no doubt that we need a RB by August if not sooner

Captain Cook
03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I'd like to think we can get by with Caldwell but there is no doubt that we need a RB by August if not sooner

Yeah, unfortunately I think this is Caldwell's last season with us (or last season as an important player, anyway). Personally if we were to get a new CB I think a great option would be to loan in Tomas Kalas from Chelsea. He's not on a big salary, he's a terrific player (anyone remember his performance vs. Liverpool last year? He's playing very well this season for Boro as well) and I think he would excel in the MLS. He'd get minutes which is just what he wants, so I don't think its too unrealistic.

On the topic of RB, I actually think Bloom is good enough, for now anyway. He does the job asked of him and doesn't complain.

Steelers7
03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
The best 4 I think:
Bloom/Perquis/Hagglund/Morrow

Caldwell is as slow as molasses.
I think Caldwell is good as organizing the back line but I think Perquis could be just as effective if given the chance and the time to grow into the role.

JavierMartini
03-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Morgan got fucked over seeing almost no playing time in what, 2 years. I think it really messed up his development. However if he can tighten up his defensive play we should be in for a treat. He is the fastest player on the team and imo he has the best whip service of anyone on the back line. How many assists did he get from crosses into koevermans?

If i was vanney I'd get him some games at TFC 2 , bring him in for CCL then by summer try starting him in an unimportant match or to give morrow a rest. Hopefully building his confidence up.

jabbronies
03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
The best 4 I think:
Bloom/Perquis/Hagglund/Morrow

Caldwell is as slow as molasses.
I think Caldwell is good as organizing the back line but I think Perquis could be just as effective if given the chance and the time to grow into the role.

This here is TFC's problem. Only person who can organize the back is too slow. I would say both goals from last game were due to lack of organization in the back. Both times a guy was able to come in and connect on a cross.

Steelers7
03-19-2015, 06:34 AM
This here is TFC's problem. Only person who can organize the back is too slow. I would say both goals from last game were due to lack of organization in the back. Both times a guy was able to come in and connect on a cross.

Still doesn't mean Caldwell is the 'best' option.

I did say Perquis could be that guy, but because Caldwell is still playing he's the guy.
Hagglund would be far superior at this point and time than Caldwell for the simple fact that Caldwell is just so damn s l o w.

MightyDM
03-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Caldwell brings a lot to the game. The problem with the defence are the huge wide spaces available under Vanney's system, not the CB's. See this article, for example: http://www.tsn.ca/good-bad-and-ugly-for-tfc-in-columbus-1.231419

jabbronies
03-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Still doesn't mean Caldwell is the 'best' option.

I did say Perquis could be that guy, but because Caldwell is still playing he's the guy.
Hagglund would be far superior at this point and time than Caldwell for the simple fact that Caldwell is just so damn s l o w.

Still need to keep in mind that it's not just about speed and skill with the position that needs to be filled. The reason Caldwell became such a key part of the back line is his organizational skills. When he arrived there was an immediate change in the way the back line and central midfield looked. for the most part they knew where to be and who to cover.

I hope Perquis is Caldwell's replacement. We need a mature defender with speed and mobility. I just don't know his history. is he a guy who can organize 3 backs and the midfield all while holding down his position within that? He didn't do it well on Saturday. We saw after Caldwell left the game on Saturday, two guys were allowed to just walk in and retrieve balls that were crossed in.

Hagglund is still a few years off from being a Caldwell replacement, but he's a decent number 2 guy on the outside defence (RB) or number 3 guy in central defence (CB).

Captain Cook
03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Still need to keep in mind that it's not just about speed and skill with the position that needs to be filled. The reason Caldwell became such a key part of the back line is his organizational skills. When he arrived there was an immediate change in the way the back line and central midfield looked. for the most part they knew where to be and who to cover.

I hope Perquis is Caldwell's replacement. We need a mature defender with speed and mobility. I just don't know his history. is he a guy who can organize 3 backs and the midfield all while holding down his position within that? He didn't do it well on Saturday. We saw after Caldwell left the game on Saturday, two guys were allowed to just walk in and retrieve balls that were crossed in.

Hagglund is still a few years off from being a Caldwell replacement, but he's a decent number 2 guy on the outside defence (RB) or number 3 guy in central defence (CB).

No, when I watched him at Real Betis (although I only watched him about 8 times) he certainly didn't seem like that type of guy. Then again, Liga BBVA is a completely different animal than the MLS. If I were to compare him to any defender I think it would be Pepe from Real Madrid, not exactly a leader, but a strong guy who isn't afraid to put a tackle in.

While I think it was a good signing and he will come good for us, we signed him hoping that he would be a leader.

Hopefully the match against Columbus was just a one off, our new signings still gelling together (Perquis, Altidore, Giovinco, that's a big change to the first team). It's very likely that Caldwell and Morrow are still getting used to Perquis, learning all his strengths and weaknesses.

Steelers7
03-19-2015, 01:17 PM

I'll say that Caldwell isn't afraid of putting his body infront of a guy that decides to drill the ball which I respect.
But if he's one on one with a guy in a foot race...its like watching Phaneuf, a hoop around a barrel, he stands no chance.

Maybe Perquis can be THE guy if given the chance but we wont know until Caldwell sits.
I'd rather see players grow and you can only grow in soccer or any sport for that matter by being in actual games.

Someone above says that Perquis isn't that guy but who's to say, maybe he played a different role at Real Betis and never got the opportunity.

I'm not sure TFC has a 'stand out' defender but I'm still sticking with my original 4 as they give the best opportunity to win games.

jabbronies
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
I'll say that Caldwell isn't afraid of putting his body infront of a guy that decides to drill the ball which I respect.
But if he's one on one with a guy in a foot race...its like watching Phaneuf, a hoop around a barrel, he stands no chance.

Maybe Perquis can be THE guy if given the chance but we wont know until Caldwell sits.
I'd rather see players grow and you can only grow in soccer or any sport for that matter by being in actual games.

Someone above says that Perquis isn't that guy but who's to say, maybe he played a different role at Real Betis and never got the opportunity.

I'm not sure TFC has a 'stand out' defender but I'm still sticking with my original 4 as they give the best opportunity to win games.

I don't think we can have Perquis learning to play that role. He can either do it or he can't. If he can't, which is sounds like it, then we need to get someone in that can to replace Caldwell as a full time leader. There's no doubt his age is starting to show.

portu
03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Didnt we almost sign Gerrard's cousin over the winter or something, he could fit well at CB