PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: TFC @ Columbus Crew

Shakes McQueen
03-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Well, have at it folks. My two takeaways:

- Cant wait to hear what Bradley has to say about Gantar
- We didn't improve our backs nearly enough in the offseason.

QBall
03-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Who would've guessed after two games we'd be envious of Orlando? Oy vey!

notthesun
03-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Seeing a lot of comments about how our fullbacks need improvement. Just want to be clear that Morrow is a stud. We should be starting Bloom, and our depth needs to be better.

As for the game, it was ruined by the call. Really have no interest in dissecting our play after that point. Aside from evidence that Creavalle should lose his starting spot, I don't see anything else of value to take away from this match.

Fuck Gantar. Hope Bradley tries to double whatever his fine was last time he ripped him.

Shakes McQueen
I'm not envious of Orlando. I wish we had better fullbacks, and I wish we didn't draw the short straw on referees for this week.

Mark TFC
Who would've guessed after two games we'd be envious of Orlando? Oy vey!

Who's envious of Orlando? Certainly not me. Two very lucky results for them.

Oldtimer
03-14-2015, 08:36 PM
It's interesting how impotent Altidore was. Also TFC kept trying wing play, which didn't work. I wonder why they didn't try to play through the middle.

Mark TFC
03-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Absolutely terrible performance tonight but it's no panic just yet. We need to pick it waaay the hell up next match, that's for sure!

Richard
03-14-2015, 08:38 PM
1. No point in the players saying anything about the referee, silence from TFC would convey our grievance just the same.

2. We need more depth at fullback.

3. I blame Morgan's regression solely on TFC's mismanagement. I find it ridiculous we couldn't find some min wage journeyman with no upside to take his role last year, Morgan should have played a full season worth of games somewhere last season. His career now is pretty much over, all that promise he had under the Winter era is quickly evaporating, I thought he was on par with Henry's development at the time.

Ajax TFC
03-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Not sure what the complaining about Altidore's workrate is about. He hustles when he needs to. I actually like that he doesn't brainlessly waste all his energy chasing the ball around the other team's back line with no hope of actually getting it.

Poor Giovinco is selfish and refuses to pass the ball.
Who was he supposed to pass to? He's a runner, not a hold up player, and there was no one playing higher than him. maybe he would have passed more if he actually had support up front, but that was made hard by the fact that we had to sit back and defend

Mark TFC
03-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Not sure what the complaining about Altidore's workrate is about. He hustles when he needs to. I actually like that he doesn't brainlessly waste all his energy chasing the ball around the other team's back line with no hope of actually getting it.

Who was he supposed to pass to? He's a runner, not a hold up player, and there was no one playing higher than him. maybe he would have passed more if he actually had support up front, but that was made hard by the fact that we had to sit back and defend

There were several incidents where players (Morgan, for one) made clear runs up the flank and rather than passing to the wide open man, he chose to go through a crowded middle of the park instead. Listen - I'm not trying to slag the guy because it's obvious he has talent, and I'm neither unappreciative nor a dummy, but he was very selfish out there tonight. He did it all preseason long and he did it again tonight. If he plays the way he did against Vancouver, then we've got a helluva stud!

ag futbol
03-14-2015, 08:43 PM
It's interesting how impotent Altidore was. Also TFC kept trying wing play, which didn't work. I wonder why they didn't try to play through the middle. middle was clogged 3x over. They gave Creavalle all the room he wanted and he couldn't do anything with it. Last thing they wanted was to give us space in front of the backline and sure enough...

Altidore plays less like a target man than you'd think... But it was the same story last game until he put in two. Anyway, I'd hold off on any grand observations there considering we got Gantar'd.

OgtheDim
03-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Absolutely terrible performance tonight.....

Disagree.

The only time we had a chance to show a performance was in the first half.

And we played well enough, with some decent interplay between Giovinco and Altidore.

We got Ganter'd. After that, its a tire fire.

Shakes McQueen
03-14-2015, 08:47 PM
C'mon Bradley. Take the league fine and drop a bomb on Gantar. It's all we have to look forward to.

Dkolish3
03-14-2015, 08:48 PM
1. No point in the players saying anything about the referee, silence from TFC would convey our grievance just the same.

2. We need more depth at fullback.

3. I blame Morgan's regression solely on TFC's mismanagement. I find it ridiculous we couldn't find some min wage journeyman with no upside to take his role last year, Morgan should have played a full season worth of games somewhere last season. His career now is pretty much over, all that promise he had under the Winter era is quickly evaporating, I thought he was on par with Henry's development at the time.
For God's sake send him to Ottawa, i'll take him

FRANKIE65
03-14-2015, 08:50 PM
The card has to be appealed. If it doesn't, or, the appeal is lost...no Morrow next game.

OgtheDim
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/576922612019769344) Vanney: I wouldn't be surprised if red card is rescinded.

pdubs
03-14-2015, 08:52 PM
missed the other thread.

fucking gantar. it is criminal. deep down didn't we suspect something like this? lol

creavalle was very poor. morgan is absolute trash. Where is delgado? And Bloom can't get a sniff?

Before the card I feel like both sides had good chances, them a little more then us. 4-3-3 was leaving the CLB with a ton of space on the flanks. After the card idk how much to look into the game other than Creavalle being bad. I though Altidore had good hold up play and later in the game put in some defensive.

TFC1154ever
03-14-2015, 08:53 PM
I never knew why people keep saying that Creaville is a good player to have on an MLS team at $100,000. He's bad. Morgan is bad. Morrow is stud and Bloom would be good depth of the bench but he has to start for this team. I'm still not convinced of findley. I believe we will all be calling for fullback help in the summer and a replacement for findley, but his contract is really bad, so imagine that not playing.

pdubs
03-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Absolutely terrible performance tonight but it's no panic just yet. We need to pick it waaay the hell up next match, that's for sure!

Thought both teams had good chances in the first half. Pretty even, slight edge to CLB. After that card tho... not sure there is a lot to take from it. Half the game down against a good team. Creavalle I want to punch. And knee Gantar repeatedly in the groin and/or face.

OgtheDim
03-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Interesting how TFC has brought out Morrow to talk with reporters. Teams don't usually do that with red carded players.

flamehawk
03-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Well, was disappointed that TFC didn't have a game next week after how this one went, but just realized TFC II starts the season next Saturday against Charleston. So, at least there will be that.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2015, 09:06 PM
The first half was a brilliant display by both sides, and extremely entertaining despite the scoreline. It's unfortunate that incompetent officiating changed the momentum and the flow of the game.

Once Morrow was erroneously sent off and Caldwell was injured, our backline was clearly out of sorts, and we had no margin for error due to the circumstances.

Creavalle had a poor outing, but I think this match would have had an entirely different outcome if not for Gantar's error in judgement. After the debacle with Gilberto's goal in Chicago last season, I think his credibility needs to be brought into question.

Auzzy
03-14-2015, 09:09 PM
God I'm so pissed off. The red card was ridiculous, after first showing the card to Perquis OMG, Gantar belongs in a SNL skit and not in a professional game.

But I also didn't think that TFC responded well. And Giovinco & Cheyrou (among others) should have potted a couple of goals, would have changed the whole game completely.

I feel really bad for the TFC supporters that travelled down there. Got totally Gantared.

pdubs
03-14-2015, 09:09 PM
You know he was suspect when he sent the tall blonde guy off instead of the short bald guy. and the line judge really looks bad in this.

Ajax TFC
03-14-2015, 09:15 PM
You know he was suspect when he sent the tall blonde guy off instead of the short bald guy. and the line judge really looks bad in this.
Not to mention completely different skin tones

Auzzy
03-14-2015, 09:21 PM
I was going to paste pictures of Morrow & Perquis side by side, caption the whole thing "Separated at birth? Gantar'd again!" or something like that, and post it here & on Twitter. But I'm just too pissed off, ain't got time for that.

DOMIN8R
From NBC....The game in 100 words (or less): Red cards change games. Right or wrong, they just do. This game had one that was very wrongly given and it completely changed the course of the game, from Toronto FC threatening early, to Columbus Crew SC taking complete control shortly after.

Morrow takes down Finlay, sees red — It was a questionable decision by referee David Gantar at best — Morrow looked to have gotten all ball and little or none of Ethan Finlay (below video) — but Gantar gave the foul just outside the box and sent Morrow to an early shower.

Other sources....The contest was marred by controversy just before halftime when Justin Morrow was harshly sent off for a seemingly legal sliding challenge on Ethan Finlay at the edge of the penalty area.

From MLS.....It happened when Crew SC midfielder Ethan Finlay (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ethan-finlay) pounced on a TFC giveaway and sprinted up field. As he burst free, only Morrow was close enough to catch the speedy Crew SC winger, and he lunged into a last-ditch tackle from behind. Morrow seemed to reach the ball, but Finlay went down just outside the Toronto box.Referee David Gantar immediately whistled for a foul. After commotion from both sides and consulting with his assistant for a moment, Gantar showed Morrow red, presumably for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

It will be difficult for Gantar to recover from this.

Having said that. We didn't deserve to win/tie tonight.

redisthenewblk
Matt Doyle weighs in on the Red Card: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/14/armchair-analyst-red-cards-federico-higuain-and-why-columbus-crew-sc-are-leg

"The postgame talk around Columbs Crew SC's 2-0 win over Toronto FC (http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-03-14-columbus-crew-sc-vs-toronto-fc/recap) on Saturday is justifiably centered around referee David Gantar's decision to send off Justin Morrow late in the first half. It was, to put it mildly, a (https://twitter.com/JoeCannonGK1/status/576903360676163584) bit (https://twitter.com/SeanSteffen/status/576903297354768384) of (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/576903209026912257) a (https://twitter.com/JasonSaghini/status/576903115070386176) controversial (https://twitter.com/DanteWashington/status/576902794390716416) decision (https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/576904460192055296). Really (https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/576911288971997184)."

gracos
Same old; same old TFC we are going to be in for a tough fight more than likely just missing out on the playoffs; we were lucky to win in BC; but our team is mediocre at best

ag futbol
03-14-2015, 09:24 PM
FCD - SKC blown offside call (which should have been easy to spot) gives FCD the game winning goal.

How much longer is the league going to trot out excuses and make us deal with that crap.

Oldtimer
03-14-2015, 09:30 PM
It was interesting to see Saeid's quality playing for Columbus, certainly an exceptional pick up for them.

Shakes McQueen
03-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Same old; same old TFC we are going to be in for a tough fight more than likely just missing out on the playoffs; we were lucky to win in BC; but our team is mediocre at best

We are 1-0-1, and our one loss came in a game that was marred by controversy to say the LEAST. They also expanded the number of playoff slots this season. Won't even comment on the idea that we were just "lucky" in BC.

There's really no place for this kind of blanket negativity about our entire season, this early.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2015, 09:35 PM
FCD - SKC blown offside call (which should have been easy to spot) gives FCD the game winning goal.

How much longer is the league going to trot out excuses and make us deal with that crap.

It's a shame that the quality of officiating in MLS has not improved along with the quality of play since the inception of the league. Until that changes, it will hold the league back.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Any word on Caldwell's injury? He was having a solid game until he was taken off.

Gazza
03-14-2015, 09:37 PM
This league will never be taken seriously. You can't take this region seriously. Either it's refs are corrupt or incompetent.

CBTFC
03-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I really, really don't want to "blame it on the refs"....but sorry, this one rests solely on his shoulders.

Hope he sleeps well tonight.

Shakes McQueen
03-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Gantar's first comments on the call. Unbelievable: https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/576934626645557248

OgtheDim
03-14-2015, 09:56 PM
but our team is mediocre at best

Son, I've seen the Chicago Fire.

Trust me, TFC is far from mediocre.

tfcleeds
03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
David Gantar needs to be revoked his Canadian citizenship. That's all I have to say.

(and yes, we were second best tonite, I'm not denying that. But his BS decision did change the game).

TFC07
03-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I think we can forget about this game and have Bloom start as RB for now on until we find proper RB. Good thing we're not playing next week so we got time practice.

OgtheDim
03-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Any word on Caldwell's injury? He was having a solid game until he was taken off.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 5m5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/576940639390056450) Caldwell told me post-game he was replaced due to slight Achilles discomfort.

tfcleeds
03-14-2015, 10:10 PM
It's a shame that the quality of officiating in MLS has not improved along with the quality of play since the inception of the league. Until that changes, it will hold the league back.

Maybe the league now needs to look at DP refs. It really is becoming a joke that refs that couldn't handle local Tim Horton's peewee leagues are now handling MLS games.

tfcleeds
03-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I hope Dave Gantar is never welcomed in this country again.

Offside goal
03-14-2015, 10:29 PM
I hope Dave Gantar is never welcomed in this country again.

In the wisdom of MLS and PRO I'm sure he's at the top of the list now for our home opener.

DOMIN8R
03-14-2015, 10:38 PM
There were more than a few trouble spots for the Reds this evening. Bradley, Bendik and Seba showed consistent commitment. IMO, in the first half Bradley and Creavalle were frustrating to watch with bad passes, misplays and errant strikes. In the second half Morgan and Altidore (lack of consistent engagement) frustrated me.
Columbus was the better team.
A team with a turnstile player strategy can only accomplish so much. Every year the first team replaces 50% of it's starters and is expected to look the like it has gelled for 3 years. We may have to accept that this year is another formative year and hope that that the ownership let's the "paint dry" for once so that the players can get use to playing together like most successful teams do in the MLS. That's a long shot, given our short history.
Although, some questions Caldwell - I would rather have him on the pitch than not. I hope that his injury isn't serious.

Hieberrr
03-14-2015, 10:38 PM
Before the Justin Morrow red card, we had some moments and some chances, but Columbus definitely dictated the game. I would've liked to see what Vanney could've done to adapt. Having said that, one of the biggest challenges we have going forward is our midfield play. I'm not sure why, by Bradley was playing way too deep in the back. Columbus kept pressuring us and it was almost impossible to get the ball past the midfield.

DOMIN8R
03-14-2015, 10:45 PM
More fuel for the fire.....Toronto FC's Greg Vanney disagrees with Justin Morrow red card in loss vs. Columbus Crew SC (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/14/columbus-crew-sc-2-toronto-fc-0-mls-match-recap?)

PAOK17
03-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Can't the MLS refs go on strike/be locked out again? If memory serves correctly, the guys they brought in last year were far better.

It's kind of embarrassing for the league when the replacement refs are actually better.

Also SHOCKING that there was no yellow card for that celebration with the hard hats. Since when can you use props to celebrate? This isn't the CFL.

Couchy81
03-14-2015, 10:59 PM
I mentioned it in the game thread, there was a single shot replay from the endline that showed Gantar in the background looking at the sideline ref when Morrow made the tackle.

Explains why he didn't know who actually tackled and gave the red to Perquis first.

Should be fired. (for multiple bad calls and incompetence over his career)

notthesun
03-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Petrescu was suspended a week for missing multiple calls in the Philly-Colorado Week 1 match. Gantar better get the same treatment.

Couchy81
03-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Petrescu was suspended a week for missing multiple calls in the Philly-Colorado Week 1 match. Gantar better get the same treatment.

It's hilarious that they think this is a solution. "Hey professional referee you are bad at your job, be better next time". It comes down to a lack of skill, it will never improve.

ag futbol
03-14-2015, 11:25 PM
I don't know if I'd say better, I'd say no different really.

But the sad part is what they are fighting for would have improved the quality of officiating. Paying lineman near minimum wage, having basically no funds for training and coordinating different officiating teams (which goes a long way towards explaining the wild inconsistencies) is putting this league where it is today. Yeah these guys suck, but the system created their suckitude and that won't change unless we treat officiating as something more than a cost centre where minimal money gets spent.

Edit: sorry I quoted the wrong post... Should be what paok17 wrote above.

Kaz
03-14-2015, 11:27 PM
It's hilarious that they think this is a solution. "Hey professional referee you are bad at your job, be better next time". It comes down to a lack of skill, it will never improve.

Here is what I don't get.. if this guy already screwed TFC why not have him ref another Team and prove he can actually do the job.. no he comes in and fucks up again.

Smokecell
03-14-2015, 11:33 PM
After watching blown calls in the FCD/SKC and RSL/PHI games I don't feel AS bad about the blown call in this one...but with that said Gantar is still a total douche.

SirBobSaget
03-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Can't the MLS refs go on strike/be locked out again? If memory serves correctly, the guys they brought in last year were far better.

It's kind of embarrassing for the league when the replacement refs are actually better.

Also SHOCKING that there was no yellow card for that celebration with the hard hats. Since when can you use props to celebrate? This isn't the CFL.

Tchani was shown a 2nd yellow for hopping over a barrier a few seasons ago. Nvermind taking selfies with hats. The biggest frustration with this league is officiating.

SamK
03-15-2015, 02:28 AM
Tchani was shown a 2nd yellow for hopping over a barrier a few seasons ago. Nvermind taking selfies with hats. The biggest frustration with this league is officiating.
the really funny part is that Gantar actually ref'd that game as well. So inconsistent

khso11
03-15-2015, 07:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSTS7pGmwvM

OgtheDim
03-15-2015, 07:30 AM
After a night's sleep, can move on to discuss how we played.

The 4-2-1-1-2 version of a 4-3-3 isn't working.

With only really Osorio providing midfield width, our backs are being pushed back. This week it was Morrow, last week it was Crevalle. Findley is too focused on central attack (keeps getting in Giovinco and Altidore's way to be honest) and doesn't come back enough. He plays well off of Altidore when we have the ball but he's clogging up the middle. He doesn't really provide width. I'd like to see Moore play that role against RSL (who have looked horrible so far). And we should really be using a 4-2-3-1.

Bradley made the point after the game that the team should have done better in the second half to try to get something out of the game. Giovinco really isn't defensive minded enough for these situations. As heretical as this may sound, we would have been better to play Jozy in the midfield and Seba alone up front. And we should have taken Findley off, not Osorio. Findley was less then useless in the second half.

I love Cheyrou.

Absolutely adore how we finally finally have a hard boiled man willing and able to do the fouls necessary to ensure our stars don't get beat up. And his positioning and passing are class.

I love Perquis.

Best defender we have ever had. Steps up in a league where players are afraid to do so. Can pass the ball. Steady tackler.

Bradley - went from a great game against Vancouver to making bad passes. He was getting more forward but he needs more central outlets then Giovinco and Osorio and Cheyrou. Again, Findley has to drop more.

Caldwell's injury was a tightness in his Achilles. That is worrying. If we have to go into RSL with a back 4 of Crevalle/Bloom Hagglund Perquis and Morgan, we got maturity issues back there.

Globetrotter
03-15-2015, 08:02 AM

I had posted similar in the game thread yesterday...

You remember Gantar gave Tchani a (second) yellow card for jumping over the boards and cheering with the fans several years ago (when he was with TFC playing against Crew)?

Why did Kamara not get carded?

Did Gantar screw up this time? Are his actions today admitting he screwed up last time? He's such a piece of work...

Oldtimer
03-15-2015, 08:19 AM
So if Toledo is the worst American ref, and I'd say the worst overall, Ganter is certainly giving him a run for his money and is the worst Canadian ref.

All leagues have issues with refereeing, and it's a tough job, but MLS refereeing is so poor (with a few notable good exceptions) that we're often discussing who is the worst of a sorry lot.

ensco
03-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Undeserved reds happen. It happened to Ibra earlier this week. 10 man PSG went on to score two goals away to Chelsea to get the result they needed.

We have to learn how to overcome the calls. The better teams do.

Dub Narcotic
03-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Hate to say it, but I think the call may have been the right one:

https://vine.co/v/O9LEQhFiL93

redisthenewblk
03-15-2015, 09:21 AM
I love Cheyrou.

Absolutely adore how we finally finally have a hard boiled man willing and able to do the fouls necessary to ensure our stars don't get beat up. And his positioning and passing are class.

I love Perquis.

Best defender we have ever had. Steps up in a league where players are afraid to do so. Can pass the ball. Steady tackler.

Bradley - went from a great game against Vancouver to making bad passes. He was getting more forward but he needs more central outlets then Giovinco and Osorio and Cheyrou. Again, Findley has to drop more.

Caldwell's injury was a tightness in his Achilles. That is worrying. If we have to go into RSL with a back 4 of Crevalle/Bloom Hagglund Perquis and Morgan, we got maturity issues back there.

Looks like we're on the same page. I also love Perquis and Cheyrou. In my opinion they are making the most impact of all the new players so far this season. Perquis is legit fearless. They both care too. The Look on Perquis' face when he narrowly missed that chance at the end of the second half says it all.

As far as the back line goes, I'm really hoping the red card get's rescinded. I think there is a good chance of that given the reaction of the mls "experts" but you never know in this league. I think most of us agree that Morrow is a stud. If caldwell is still injured, I'm hoping to see Bloom Zavaleta Perquis Morrow. If the card isn't rescinded I suppose we'll see Morgan again. Can't think of who else might fit there.

Still Kicking
03-15-2015, 09:27 AM
How do I post a pic here? I blogged this am and took a screen shot from the MLS video which shows Morrow playing all ball and the assistant ref had an unobstructed view...

kwhisperer
03-15-2015, 09:29 AM

I'm not seeing it - looks like Morrow gets ball before guy starts falling over him.

kwhisperer
03-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Undeserved reds happen. It happened to Ibra earlier this week. 10 man PSG went on to score two goals away to Chelsea to get the result they needed.

Absolutely - we responded horribly to the send-off. Sometimes going down to 10 gives teams a better focus but we looked like we were holding on for dear life.

SoccMan2
03-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Even if you are down a man TFC showed very little fight. You have to keep going because you never know, a red goes against Columbus and you're back in it. If you cant get ahold of the ball, at least chip a few forward for Altidore to run onto. I mean that is what concerned me about the way the team reacted to being a man down, they just folded with no fight, nothing. How many times do you see in a game where a team goes down a man but still has fight and is still in the game, but not TFC they had no response, nothing and this is troubling to me.

2mil4dero+santo
03-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Even if you are down a man TFC showed very little fight. You have to keep going because you never know, a red goes against Columbus and you're back in it. If you cant get ahold of the ball, at least chip a few forward for Altidore to run onto. I mean that is what concerned me about the way the team reacted to being a man down, they just folded with no fight, nothing. How many times do you see in a game where a team goes down a man but still has fight and is still in the game, but not TFC they had no response, nothing and this is troubling to me.

Thank you for talking some sense. I believe we would have lost just as badly even without the red card.

Also, I'll be "that guy" to say this: Publicly criticizing officials and pissing them off never gets you anywhere. I do wonder if Gantar would have made the same call had Bradley not publicly called him out last year. Refs are human and we all hold grudges. Sometimes you need to accept calls go for you and against you and just get on with the game. You'll never win against referees.

Although we still have a weak defence, our squad is decent and I like Vanney so far. This is one of those games you just have to forget about and look ahead to the next game. Every team has games like that once in a while. We were beat soundly and can have no complaints about the loss.

MightyDM
03-15-2015, 09:55 AM

heart, spirit and organization.

Red4ever
03-15-2015, 10:00 AM
How Kai didn't get a yellow for that shit I'll never know

SoccMan2
03-15-2015, 10:14 AM
San Jose in Seattle last night went down to 10 men in the 57th. minute, at the time San Jose were leading 2-1, San Jose after going down a man ended up scoring to make it 3-1 with a man down. The game finished 3-2 San Jose, just saying.

PAOK17
03-15-2015, 10:40 AM
the really funny part is that Gantar actually ref'd that game as well. So inconsistent
I remember that game. Tchani celebrated right in front of us in 127. It was also against the Crew, who ended up going on to tie the game later on.

If I remember correctly, experts at the time criticized Gantar for not using discretion in that situation. All he did was run over to the fans...didn't even take his shirt off. Yesterday Kamara had hard-hats and props ready.

Jack
03-15-2015, 10:44 AM
San Jose in Seattle last night went down to 10 men in the 57th. minute, at the time San Jose were leading 2-1, San Jose after going down a man ended up scoring to make it 3-1 with a man down. The game finished 3-2 San Jose, just saying.
We lost one of our best players and our most experienced defender at the half against a good team who were already making us work defensively. Being down a man and having Hagglund, Creavalle and Morgan on the backline means we were in tough. The situations aren't really comparable.

pdogg
03-15-2015, 10:49 AM

So what you're saying, is that a team playing with the lead and a man down- against a team that needs to push forward rather than defend - scored a goal, and was score against.

I can see how that is exactly the same. Just saying.

SoccMan2
03-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Well let's hope you guys are right, the game was tied when we went down a man, we were not in the lead like San Jose was, and the fact we had to bring in two players in our back four to replace our starting left back and central defender. It's still so early in the season hopefully this is the season we finally get it right let's hope.

jloome
03-15-2015, 11:14 AM

I see what you're saying because the ball contact is minimal, but it's clearly scissored, between his thighs. That's all ball first, then the guy trips over him. I'm not sure there's any reg that says you have to control the ball, just touch it first.

Maybe they called it as dangerous for coming in from behind (he's behind him even though it's slightly to one side) and that made the red mandatory for denying a goal scoring chance; but that doesn't make sense either, as the chance was negated by Morrow getting ball first.

Bad call all around.

jloome
03-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Thank you for talking some sense. I believe we would have lost just as badly even without the red card.

Also, I'll be "that guy" to say this: Publicly criticizing officials and pissing them off never gets you anywhere. I do wonder if Gantar would have made the same call had Bradley not publicly called him out last year. Refs are human and we all hold grudges. Sometimes you need to accept calls go for you and against you and just get on with the game. You'll never win against referees.

Although we still have a weak defence, our squad is decent and I like Vanney so far. This is one of those games you just have to forget about and look ahead to the next game. Every team has games like that once in a while. We were beat soundly and can have no complaints about the loss.

This game was dead even until the card. I'm not happy that they just bunkered in for a point, either, as it almost never works despite what coaches seem to think. But we have plenty of reasons to complain about that one. Will it change anything? Of course not. But it's still valid.

2mil4dero+santo
03-15-2015, 11:30 AM
This game was dead even until the card. I'm not happy that they just bunkered in for a point, either, as it almost never works despite what coaches seem to think. But we have plenty of reasons to complain about that one. Will it change anything? Of course not. But it's still valid.

I agree we have plenty of reasons to complain about our performance. What I meant to say was, based on our performance, we can't complain about losing the game. It's not like we were the better team and lost due to bad luck or bad calls.

jloome
03-15-2015, 11:56 AM
It's not like we were the better team and lost due to bad luck or bad calls.

No, but our chances were reduced significantly due to a bad call. We weren't "losing" the game in any sense before that card. It was pretty much dead even, with both sides having chances. The card changed everything. Could we have potentially survived? Sure. I suspect there was so much frustration with the officiating by early in the second half that several of our players sort of quit on things. Altidore looked utterly disgusted after he was whistled for a clean tackle and Seba, too. I figured at that point they'd given up the ghost somewhat.

ag futbol
03-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Call me bias but I don't see it. He has inside position. The fact the attacker trips over him after he wins the ball is inconsequential.

Now, someone made the point that it's a dumb play to make because it wouldn't be the first time a ref has blown a call on a lunging last defender facing his own net. Have to agree, but still the wrong call.

TFC07
03-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Honestly, TFC had create better chances to score than CLB before red card. TFC could have easily been up few goals into first 20 minutes of the game.

One thing I don't see anyone mention on here is that playing Jozy on the left instead of middle was bad move from Vanney. Jozy was invisible in first half (I didn't know he was even playing at times) and seeing Caldwell booting the ball to Giovinco (who was playing in middle of forwards) was a pain to watch. Hopefully we see Jozy back in the middle while Giovinco playing behind Jozy or on the wing where he will be more effective.

Also, subbing out Osorio instead of Findley was bad move. Osorio is better player who has better workrate than Findley.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry, but that was a beautiful, textbook sliding tackle by Morrow, and a competent official would have seen it the same way. Prior to that, I thought it was a fairly even contest in which we should have buried at least a couple of chances. I agree that the team could have responded better to adversity in the second half, but it's unfortunate that we as supporters didn't get the opportunity to see the match play out with a level playing field for both sides.

jloome
03-15-2015, 01:33 PM
One thing I don't see anyone mention on here is that playing Jozy on the left instead of middle was bad move from Vanney. .

Because it wasn't. He plays better running at goal, with the ball at his feet. He's not a target man. The idea is to have him and Findley cutting in wide on their strong foot. We didn't play him centrally in the first game, either, and he scored two goals.

ag futbol
03-15-2015, 02:03 PM
^ if that's the case it hasn't really come off thus far. I see a lot of altidore playing with his back to goal and out on the wing. Nobody has really hit him in stride to attack the other team's 18 yard box.

The team is still working things out for sure, but in the first two games there are long stretches where altidore really hasn't been involved in the play, which I think is concerning.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2015, 02:51 PM
We should have handled being down a man better as a team, but that still doesn't change the fact that we were in a 0-0 draw at the time the red was given, in a back and forth affair, and the game fell apart after that. An errant, grievous officiating error, dismantled the game.

If I were Vanney I'd be pissed at my guys for how poorly they played after the card, but that in no way would mitigate my rage at Gantar.

Yohan
03-15-2015, 02:55 PM
As much I think Gantar sucks, the red card call is closer than what I originally thought. Very much a bang bang play and there is enough room for justification for either red card or clean tackle.

A lot of it will depend on the angle of Gantar and the AR's view, because from certain angles, it can look like Morrow was reckless coming in from the side. Argument can be made that Morrow touched the Crew attacker split second before he gets the ball. But it's very much a bang bang play and we only have benefit of slow mo instant replay to make the call. Gantar and the AR only have split second to make a decision based upon their angle of view.

Keep in mind that you can get the ball and still be called for a foul if the ref thinks you are being reckless and endanger the safety of the opponent, esp tackles from behind and side. Morrow's tackle doesn't 'look clean' and can be argued that he looked out of control.

The fact that Gantar isn't very convincing selling the call and looks indecisive doing it compounds the controversy. But I do see enough of benefit of doubt in this case.

https://vine.co/#/v/O9LEQhFiL93

ensco
03-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Have we ever scored a goal when playing with 10 men? Ever?

portu
03-15-2015, 04:32 PM
the thing is the league could dole out what $5m and we could steal the best officials from around the world to ref our games but we need to "cut costs"

tfcleeds
03-15-2015, 04:34 PM
How Kai didn't get a yellow for that shit I'll never know

Just speaks to Gantar's inconsistency. He sends Tchani off for jumping into the stands when he scored for us, yet doesn't even brandish a card when Kamara dons a helmet and has a selfie taken.

Anyways, everyone can say what they will. We sucked last night, no doubt about it, but the card changed the game.

BuSaPuNk
03-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Just speaks to Gantar's inconsistency. He sends Tchani off for jumping into the stands when he scored for us, yet doesn't even brandish a card when Kamara dons a helmet and has a selfie taken.

Anyways, everyone can say what they will. We sucked last night, no doubt about it, but the card changed the game.

For sure don't understand how he gets games at all. His inconsistency is terrible. Kamara should have seen yellow for that especially when the entire Crew team was still in the box when our boys were ready to restart.

After the sending off of Morrow the game completely changed. He shouldn't have even seen yellow after watching it live nevermind the replay.

Glad we all got out of there safely for the most part. However I'm ashamed of some of the actions of Toronto fans. Getting blackout drunk and throwing things on the pitch as well as getting in confrontations with security and such is just awful.

Columbus stadium security and police did a hell of a job yesterday and I commend them for there professionally. Some Toronto boys really made it hard on them. It's tough when actions of a few people make you feel ashamed to be a Toronto fan.

Kaz
03-15-2015, 04:59 PM
TFC's play was not all there against a very strong side, it was always going to be a tough game. It was not fair to make it harder on a team that is still learning each other.

However that call... was poor. Morrow got the ball The Crew player fell over him, he didn't knock the crew player down.

The problem is... the Fifa rules state that as soon as he made the mistaken call he had to issue the red... the issue is he got the call wrong... and didn't think before he issued the call. A ref needs to do so.

"denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent movingtowards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or apenalty kick"

It was an obvious goal scoring opportunity... and the moment he issued the Free Kick he needs to issue the red.

When you are in the position you need to be right... this is as much an issue of the lines man not keeping up as it is the ref. He was quick to issue call without knowing... and that is the issue with Gantar... it was the issue last year.. it was the issue this year... he just wasn't good enough.

We may have still lost.. but we may have won.. we may have tied... we don't know, because he shouldn't be refing in the MLS.

tfcleeds
03-15-2015, 05:06 PM
For sure don't understand how he gets games at all. His inconsistency is terrible. Kamara should have seen yellow for that especially when the entire Crew team was still in the box when our boys were ready to restart.

After the sending off of Morrow the game completely changed. He shouldn't have even seen yellow after watching it live nevermind the replay.

Glad we all got out of there safely for the most part. However I'm ashamed of some of the actions of Toronto fans. Getting blackout drunk and throwing things on the pitch as well as getting in confrontations with security and such is just awful.

Columbus stadium security and police did a hell of a job yesterday and I commend them for there professionally. Some Toronto boys really made it hard on them. It's tough when actions of a few people make you feel ashamed to be a Toronto fan.

For the benefit of those of us who are registered users, what exactly happened? I heard reports of scuffles post-match. Were they with Toronto fans and security, or with Columbus fans?

Oldtimer
03-15-2015, 05:15 PM

I remember at least one case of doing so over the last few years, but it's rare (of course it's not that common to have someone sent off for a whole half).

zeelaw
03-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Yeah, I think you are right.... Seriously why is Morrow not tackling with his right leg first and clearing through the ball?

burlington Red
03-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Well, have at it folks. My two takeaways:

- Cant wait to hear what Bradley has to say about Gantar
- We didn't improve our backs nearly enough in the offseason.

can't wait to hear what Bradley has to say about his own performance, poor again.

GuelphStorm2007
03-15-2015, 08:19 PM
That was a lousy red card I will admit, But I f I were Vanney I would be screaming at the players for more less playing without any effort But hopefully they will learn form this.

GuelphStorm2007
03-15-2015, 08:21 PM
I did not realize that Ganter gave Tciani that red card in 2011 for goal celebrating, and also cost us that game in Chicago last year.

BuSaPuNk
03-15-2015, 09:24 PM
For the benefit of those of us who are registered users, what exactly happened? I heard reports of scuffles post-match. Were they with Toronto fans and security, or with Columbus fans?

Just drunk people acting drunk really. Kamara celebration on our end and drunk people with cans to throw.

__wowza
03-15-2015, 09:47 PM

the first and only one i saw was when they sectioned us off at the half. we were given a ramp to smoke at, and security was letting through families, and younger kids (aka: people who they knew supporters would have more respect than chirping at). an issue came up with a few columbus supporters, who didn't want to go around, started shouting at security to let them through. the guard just said "fuck it, you want to go through there it's on you" and moved.

for some reason, one of the TFC supporters thought that gave him the OK to start harassing any male supporters (whether they were with their girlfriends, families, whatever) that moved through the area. that included trying to grab a few scarves, track jackets, etc and saying things like "that yellow looks fucking stupid on you" or "lemme get rid of this for you". words were exchanged when one guy, rightfully, gave him shit for that and security moved him out before anything could happen. they moved quick. i had a conversation with one of the guards and they expressed frustration from their end for people not recognizing how moving through a group of opposing fans was a bad idea, but i mentioned how the TFC supporter never should have even put his hands on the person. chirping is one thing, trying to grab someones scarf is way over the line.

another couple of columbus supporters even stood with a group of our supporters and had a smoke/chat after he left.
it was really one of those "it was just one guy" stories.

aside from that, busa mentioned that they never should've given our away supporters cans.
it's a nitpick, but goddamn if it isn't a smart one.

MightyDM
03-16-2015, 01:34 AM

just to be clear: Tchani did not jump into the stands, only over the hoarding. It was a marginal call given the wording of the rule.

JavierMartini
03-16-2015, 03:09 AM
anyone got a gif of gantar gaffing the card and giving it to perquis?

JavierMartini
03-16-2015, 04:32 AM
How do I post a pic here? I blogged this am and took a screen shot from the MLS video which shows Morrow playing all ball and the assistant ref had an unobstructed view...

upload it to facebook then link it.

kodiakTFC
03-16-2015, 06:50 AM
I was reading today's newspaper in Kathmandu, The Himalayan Times, and boy was I shocked when I saw coverage of TFC's loss to Columbus in the sports section. It was a Reuters article but to see Toronto, even MLS, coverage here is absolutely shocking!

Oldtimer
03-16-2015, 08:25 AM
I was reading today's newspaper in Kathmandu, The Himalayan Times, and boy was I shocked when I saw coverage of TFC's loss to Columbus in the sports section. It was a Reuters article but to see Toronto, even MLS, coverage here is absolutely shocking!

It makes Garber's desire to have MLS as a top league by 2020 seem much more realistic. Who would think that anyone in Kathmandu would care about TFC?

Yohan
03-16-2015, 09:05 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/15/jury-still-out-on-expensively-assembled-toronto-fc-after-loss-to-columbus-crew

kodiakTFC
03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
It makes Garber's desire to have MLS as a top league by 2020 seem much more realistic. Who would think that anyone in Kathmandu would care about TFC?

I saw a guy wearing a knock off Galaxy kit here as well. Not even a Beckham fake, it was definitely one of the kits after he left.

spark
03-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Didn't we beat Montreal at home once down a man?

Update - beat them 2-0 at home in Vs Cup. Ecks sent off, RJohnson scored the second goal.

ryan
03-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm not overly fond of beers being thrown in the vicinity of their fans, but lets not pretend beers haven't been flung out of the south end since day one. I wouldn't go on a rant of how ashamed I am though, I think that's quite over the top to say such things now without having made the same point every other time.

Still Kicking
03-16-2015, 10:44 AM
I felt that Morrow never fell behind Finley, so had every right to play the ball considering he had a clear path to it. True it would have been better had Morrow caught the ball cleanly and cleared it, but it is not a foul to make a clumsy play for the ball if you are not going through the other player. Facebook link (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152864444241478&set=a.50926181477.75598.678091477&type=1&theater) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152864444241478&set=a.50926181477.75598.678091477&type=1&theater

Detroit_TFC
03-16-2015, 11:16 AM
I thought the set up for the away section was decent, better than previous ones. The security people that I saw were fairly chill, even when they grabbed the beer thrower and took him out of the section. I never felt like the Columbus fans were up behind the section, which always bothered me in the past. The post game holding area was expanded and included the bathrooms. I didn't see any of the issues mentioned, it was away from the section.

I'm inclined to go back July 25, and do a two-fer with Gold Cup final in Philly the next day.

Cuppy
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Any talk of returning to Columbus in July with the masses of Red supporters?

Auzzy
03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Unbelievable how many people are saying the call by Gantar was justified (on mlssoccer.com, Twitter, elsewhere, even a few people that you think should have a clue). Or saying, his call was at least reasonable, for example considering his view of the incident.

Something I noticed later in the highlights -- not sure if it's already been mentioned here earlier. Check the highlights below. When the ball starts to change direction, heading back towards TFC's goal, Gantar first stops for a moment, then jogs slowly towards TFC's goal. At the time of the fowl, he's more than a third of the field away from the play, in absolutely no position to properly call the foul. In situations like this, foul or not is decided by a matter of centimetres & 100th's of a second. He's in even less of a position to hand out a red card, for which the burden of truth is higher. (It has to be an "obvious" goal scoring opportunity, which is obviously not the case if the foul wasn't 100% obvious.)

As others have mentioned, the linesman, who was closer to the play with a better angle, apparently did not raise the flag and kept on running. (I don't know, he may have raised his flag later, in reaction to Gantar's whistle.)

So no, it was not a "reasonable" call by any stretch of the imagination. It's Gantar's own fault that he positions himself so badly that it's basically impossible for him to have a clue of what's going on.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-03-14-columbus-crew-sc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/33917

Ajax TFC
03-16-2015, 03:30 PM
I think the question needs to be asked why there's one ref to cover everything from one box to the other, when the speed of the game takes the game from one end to the other faster than one man can run there. A sport like Hockey has a ref at each end for that very reason.

BuSaPuNk
03-16-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm not overly fond of beers being thrown in the vicinity of their fans, but lets not pretend beers haven't been flung out of the south end since day one. I wouldn't go on a rant of how ashamed I am though, I think that's quite over the top to say such things now without having made the same point every other time.

To be fair I've always maintained that any actions like that are terrible. I see your point though and yeah it's a little over kill to state that I'm ashamed of it however, ......

Going to a road game in a place where you know the history of security and police action and getting intoxicated to the point your falling over yourself and throwing shit onto the pitch yeah that's something to be ashamed of imo.

portu
03-16-2015, 05:17 PM
didnt know where to put this but Caldwells in Manchester right now?? (instagram)

sidvan
03-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Any talk of returning to Columbus in July with the masses of Red supporters?

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?An%2Binside%2Blook%2Bat%2Bthe%2Binsane% 2BTFC%2Binvasion%2Bto%2BColumbus&id=518818 for a quick view of the broken down bus horde

jazzy
03-16-2015, 07:46 PM

Didn't realize we had some assholes from a fun trip (if not a rugged bus ride :) .... Shame....... Everyone I met whether security or columbus supporters were really nice and hoped we would return.
I guess some of our own who dump on columbus can't accept the fact that they are actually worse than their peers that they are dissing. Spoiled shits. My opinion only!

jazzy
03-16-2015, 08:32 PM
anyone got a gif of gantar gaffing the card and giving it to perquis?

On MLS Live.... Rewatch, it is priceless, when my 'man of the team' at this moment , Perquis simply has his hands in the air with a seasoned disillusioned smile, looks at our bench wondering is this guy a pro...where's the real ref? Or what kind of league am I in?

hulkrogan
03-17-2015, 10:22 AM

Last year we came back late with 10 men to tie it in the final minutes. Can't remember against who.

pdogg
03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
There was a study done a while ago regarding going down a man in the Prem League and winning percentages. If I recall, it was somewhere around a 10% chance of winning if you had a player on a red card in the first hour. It increased as you progressed through the game, but the odds (suprisingly???) were always against you.

So yes, you can come back, and it does happen. But once that red card comes out, statistics show that you're likely done for.

Canary10
03-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Last year we came back late with 10 men to tie it in the final minutes. Can't remember against who.

KC away if I remember correctly.

Kayaker
03-17-2015, 10:41 AM
The ref assignments are out for this week and Gantar is sitting this one out.....

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/17/professional-referee-organization-announces-referee-assignments-week-3

Seeing as how Petrescu sat out last week after his horrible outing in the Philadelphia game, I guess this is some sort of punishment. No word yet on whether the red card is being appealed yet.

barticusz
03-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Gantar sitting it out until the following week in RSL?

OgtheDim
03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Gantar at any TFC game this season becomes a distraction. League doesn't need that.

Yohan
03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
The ref assignments are out for this week and Gantar is sitting this one out.....

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/17/professional-referee-organization-announces-referee-assignments-week-3

Seeing as how Petrescu sat out last week after his horrible outing in the Philadelphia game, I guess this is some sort of punishment. No word yet on whether the red card is being appealed yet.
PRO rotates refs bi weekly

Kaz
03-17-2015, 12:23 PM
PRO rotates refs bi weekly

And being Week 1 he had several bad calls as well... he should be out for a while I hope.

Yohan
03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
And being Week 1 he had several bad calls as well... he should be out for a while I hope.

Petrescu is reffing SKC Portland game this week

Kaz
03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Petrescu is reffing SKC Portland game this week
No more posting when I have a sinus headache, without out proof reading... and making sure I'm not in fantasy land in my head.

we played Vancouver... I don't know what I'm thinking.. for some reason I thought Gantar refed a whitecaps came and had the same issues of bad calls... between the game where he disallowed Gilberto's goal and Saturday...

I have absolutely no idea why that seems so factual to me.. .

Earlier today I said Toronto was well south of the 40th Parallel instead of the 49th.. and then corrected my self saying 48th (which while factually true not what I wanted to say.. oh my goodness.. I'm going back to bed.)

notthesun
03-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Petrescu did actually get suspended for last week though because of his performance. If they do rotate bi-weekly I guess it was mostly symbolic/wrist slap type thing.

MightyDM
03-18-2015, 05:57 PM
I like this article about the game, because it makes clear the tactical reasons for a worry I have had about Vanney since his first game: how easy it is for other teams to slice through his TFC and score: http://www.tsn.ca/good-bad-and-ugly-for-tfc-in-columbus-1.231419. I hope Vanney is able to address these defensive issues because if he can the team looks very good going forward so far.

OgtheDim
03-18-2015, 06:10 PM
The issue of the full backs not dropping deep enough isn't helped by not having a midfielder interested in providing support to the wide defence. In front of the back 4, everybody but Altidore seems to want to avoid defending on the side. That sequence where Jozy was acting as LB while Morgan was coming back pretty much summed up the issues of team defence.

MightyDM
03-18-2015, 07:06 PM
In Vancouver, at times it looked much more like a 4-2-3-1 and that seemed to be much tighter and in fact seems the right formation for this group in most ways. Findley and Osorio had defensive responsibilities and in the second half seemed to undertake them, and Cheyrou and Bradley were a good combination in the middle.

Shakes McQueen
03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Anyone have word on whether we appealed the card, and whether it was successful? And what Gantar's status is?

OgtheDim
03-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Anyone have word on whether we appealed the card, and whether it was successful? And what Gantar's status is?

Vanney indicated today an appeal was made. Given we don't play this week, the Committee may have time to think about this.

If we ever hear about Ganter's status, that would be surprising.

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 02:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAe62WlW4AEtflG.jpg

Courtesy of Larson's Twitter.

ryan
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
PRO already came out in full defence of that card.

Next time he refs at BMO (hopefully never) we should do a banner mockup of a Canadian Passport of his, with a big fat REVOKED written across it.