PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Road Trip Results

Oldtimer
03-13-2015, 04:19 PM
So with TFC starting the 2015 season with a 7 games road trip, it's a good test of the toughness of this squad. MLS is not kind historically to road teams, they only win about 1/4 of those matches and tie another 1/4.

So if TFC wins 2 and ties 2, for 8 points out of 7 matches, it will be doing better than average. This would be good enough road work for an average playoff team, is it enough for our long suffering supporters?

OgtheDim
03-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Ultimately, we are all going to act like most of us have in the last 5 minutes of every match we are winning. Hopeful but dreading the seemingly inevitable.

Until we get into the playoffs (and for many fans it will be until we have a home playoff game), there is always going to be a suspicion that our nightmare is continuing.

We, both as supporters, and those in the media, are coloured by how we look at single division football, be it in South America or Euorpe. In a single division setup, the best team finds a way to only lose 4 games out of 38. The rest do OK, but can't stay with that level. At the top division, nobody remembers if you finish 2nd or 3rd or 4th beyond getting a shot at European cup of some sort. Sorry, Arsene, but nobody is going to remember you for finishing 4th so often.

In MLS, people are starting to remember the Shield winners. Each year, that trophy begins to be a bit more important to supporters. And it is being remembered by people from season to season. BUT, the big competition is the playoffs - tournament football, which requires you to be at your best for 5-6 games over 6 weeks. Nobody cares if you win the first 6 games in the season if you don't do well enough later to either get the Shield or do well in the playoffs.

What we need in these 7 games is to get better, to compete, to not get blown out, not get stuck in a rut, and not to lose confidence.

What supporters need is probably that. What we want is to go into the home game on a high, doing well.

What the media wants is a story. The mainstream non-soccer media in this city has designated TFC as perennial losers and will not give up on that tag until we get into the playoffs (and some won't even then if we finish any less then 4th). Any loss all season will be greeted with "See". The soccer media is more nuanced but there will be a lot of second guessing every time we give up points - that is their job.

Cashcleaner
03-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I totally agree that we can't get too ahead of ourselves here, despite the great result from last weekend's game in Vancouver. Teams on the road have typically always had it tough in this league, and a 7-game road stretch will compound that point greatly. Obviously, picking up early points will pay off dividends when we're back playing at home and the season well underway, but we shouldn't be under any illusion as to how difficult wins could be, even with the roster we have. 7 matches equate to 21 hypothetical points we might be able to pick up, but the odds are well stacked against ANY club doing that. I'd like to see us win at least twice and bag a few good draws. Oldie is right, 8 points is a bit better than the rest of the league's away record trends, but I think we could very well beat that.

TFC07
03-13-2015, 07:45 PM
9 points will be enough for me.

Kaz
03-13-2015, 08:17 PM
I'd be more than happy with 8 points.

Honestly I think we can pick up 7-13 points (8-10 is my narrow assumption)

I think if we are 12 or more BMO is going to be sold out.

Last season we had 9 points, only 7 teams had greater than 9 points and 7 teams had fewer than 9 points none more than 16.

Only two teams with fewer than 9 points after 7 games made the play-offs (both Eastern Conference)

With the Away schedule and the teams we play I think we can come out of it (if we are the team on pitch that is on paper) with only 2 loses. I think 7-13 points is a realistic expectation. To come out of it with only 6 points means we'd have to lose 3 games and not have a win till the opener or have one more win and lose 5. Neither option is good for morale so I want 7-13 points, well I want 21 but I hope for 7-13 points.

MightyDM
03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
I actually think we can win them all. Last year, we had our best ever road record and in fact really lost things by not being a fortress at home. Given MLS refereeing can cost you a game, I'd settle for five wins and a draw or 16 points. Our team is really good this years, and I am not going to let our past struggles alter my optimism.

mowe
03-13-2015, 09:01 PM
This road trip is actually not that hard. The toughest games are Columbus, RSL, and Dallas. We also have Chicago, Orlando, and Philly that are all games we should win.

Including the Vancouver game we've already won I'm thinking we go 4-2-1 for 13 points.