PDA

View Full Version : Leeds United F.C What Happened?

Valdal
03-12-2015, 11:17 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/mlse-not-in-the-running-to-buy-leeds-united-soccer-club/article4216621/

If anybody remembers this story like me a few years ago MLSE was in the running or rumoured to buy the Footbal club Leeds United F.C what ever happened with that?

I am all for MLSE buying another football team in another part of the world. Would any of you guys be excited if MLSE ever delved into this idea again? If so what teams could they come in and scoop up?

Waggy
03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/mlse-not-in-the-running-to-buy-leeds-united-soccer-club/article4216621/

If anybody remembers this story like me a few years ago MLSE was in the running or rumoured to buy the Footbal club Leeds United F.C what ever happened with that?

I am all for MLSE buying another football team in another part of the world. Would any of you guys be excited if MLSE ever delved into this idea again? If so what teams could they come in and scoop up?

Personally- it's bad enough MLSE owns the Toronto teams I support. I wouldn't ever CHOOSE to support another MLSE owned team. Maybe if they proved they could competently run the franchises they already had I'd think about it. But, in the words of Ms Crabbapple, HAH.

portu
03-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Love it if they brought financial stability to a la liga side, specifically my Malaga but that's a pipe dream just like keeping Isco was

Defoe
03-13-2015, 12:57 AM
I think it would be pretty cool

Leedsoronto
03-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Leeds suck, and they are my team. so Yeh, perfect team for a Toronto franchise to invest in :@)

ensco
03-13-2015, 07:34 AM
It was a Peddie thing. Sounded mostly like an excuse to get a couple of first class trips to London in, before getting moved out.

MartinUtd
03-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Ken Bates also wasn't selling at the time as he hadn't completely extracted every last bit of value he could out of the club. Eventually Leeds finances hit rock bottom...again and he sold to Gulf Financing House... the only middle eastern bankers out there buying football clubs without the capital to back it. So fast forward another 18 or so months and GHF sells 75% of their share to an Italian boat enthusiast.

TOBOR !
03-13-2015, 10:02 AM
MLSE doesn't have the first clue how to run a club. If they come sniffing around your door, whatever the intention, be very afraid.

molenshtain
03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
What's the evidence that the current brass don't know how to run a club?

MartinUtd
03-13-2015, 11:05 AM
7 years worth?

Valdal
03-13-2015, 01:02 PM
They would obviously hire somebody to run that team.. Like the CEO of MLSE they would have a CEO of that team in whatever country they buy it in. I can see them looking for a team to purchase..

What teams leases are up or are looking to be sold in the next 1-3 years ?

Valdal
03-13-2015, 01:04 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/want-to-own-a-football-club-buy-reading-for-just-1-after-owner-anton-zingarevich-puts-royals-up-for-sale-9435428.html

Reading Football Club for $1 million EURO for 51% and $38 Million in Debt.. Would you do it ?

TFC07
03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/want-to-own-a-football-club-buy-reading-for-just-1-after-owner-anton-zingarevich-puts-royals-up-for-sale-9435428.html

Reading Football Club for $1 million EURO for 51% and $38 Million in Debt.. Would you do it ?

Yes, if I was owner of billion dollar organization like MLSE.

But the problem is that there's no cap space in English football so this means they will have to spend money to win which will bring money to them. So if I was able to get my club promoted in EPL then I will sell it to highest bidder to make my money. I am sure this was similar thinking of MLSE being interest of buying Leeds United. They simply wanted to buy low and sell high and there's no better way to do it than buying 2nd division English club and getting them promoted into first division to get piece of monster TV money.

Valdal
03-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Yes, if I was owner of billion dollar organization like MLSE.

But the problem is that there's no cap space in English football so this means they will have to spend money to win which will bring money to them. So if I was able to get my club promoted in EPL then I will sell it to highest bidder to make my money. I am sure this was similar thinking of MLSE being interest of buying Leeds United. They simply wanted to buy low and sell high and there's no better way to do it than buying 2nd division English club and getting them promoted into first division to get piece of monster TV money.

Yes it is a really smart investment. MLSE is a billion dollar company and should be treated as such. Buying a 2nd division English football club would put there names in the international market. Can you imagine any club they do buy and being able to watch there games on any of the Sportsnet or TSN networks every week including pre season and training etc... It would being in a whole new fan base.

Valdal
03-14-2015, 08:12 PM
So Can anybody who knows football in the UK or Europe tell me if there is a team up for sale or is going to be coming up for sale?