PDA

View Full Version : Is this the deepest team TFC has ever had?

Canuck82
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Just looking at the roster from the opening game, I was struck by the number of quality players that didn't crack the squad of 18. Bloom, Lovitz, Jackson, Dike. I remember a fair amount of talk in the past about battles to get into the starting 11 - but I am even more struck by how hard it might be to maintain a spot in the main 18.

I know Gold Cup and injuries will take their toll throughout the season - but can anyone remember having a bench this strong over the past 9 years? Also, will all those outside of the 18 on the main roster be eligible to play for TFC II?

Oldtimer
03-11-2015, 10:28 AM
TFC players who played at least a dozen games in 2007:

Jim Brennan 27
Carl Robinson 26
Maurice Edu 25
Andrew Boyens 23
Marvell Wynne 22
Chris Pozniak 19
Collin Samuel 18
Todd Dunivant 18
Andy Welsh 18
Danny Dichio 17
Tyrone Marshall 16
Jeff Cunningham 16
Andrea Lombardo 16
Ronnie O'Brien 13
Adam Braz 13
Kenny Stamatopoulos 12
Miguel Caņizalez 12

The roster is obviously much improved. However, the league as a whole has improved greatly, as well, and most teams now have better depth. So we have to compare TFC's depth with say, the Sounders depth to get an idea of where TFC is within the league.

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Overall, this is the deepest team we've ever had on paper. We still need depth at CB and on the wings though.

Canuck82
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
TFC players who played at least a dozen games in 2007:

Jim Brennan 27
Carl Robinson 26
Maurice Edu 25
Andrew Boyens 23
Marvell Wynne 22
Chris Pozniak 19
Collin Samuel 18
Todd Dunivant 18
Andy Welsh 18
Danny Dichio 17
Tyrone Marshall 16
Jeff Cunningham 16
Andrea Lombardo 16
Ronnie O'Brien 13
Adam Braz 13
Kenny Stamatopoulos 12
Miguel Caņizalez 12

The roster is obviously much improved. However, the league as a whole has improved greatly, as well, and most teams now have better depth. So we have to compare TFC's depth with say, the Sounders depth to get an idea of where TFC is within the league.

I took a look at the Sounders roster from the opening game, and removed those in the starting 18 plus one that is on the injury list (Alonzo) and this is their outside 18 players

- Andres Correa (DF) 0 Career MLS games
- Darwin Jones (FW) 0 Career MLS games - Homegrown player
- Jimmy Ockford (DF) 0 Career MLS games
- Damion Lowe (DF) 0 Career MLS games - Generation Adidas
- Kevin Parsemain (FW) 0 Career MLS games
- Victor Mansaray (FW) 0 Career MLS games - Homegrown
- Kenny Cooper (FW) 172 GP, 75 goals

james
03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
ya to early to even talk about it yet. We all know how much hype and high expectations we have had in the passed and look how they turned out :facepalm::rolleyes:

Auzzy
03-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Same here, I'm not passing any judgement now. Deeper sure, like the rest of the league I guess. I remember how the LA Galaxy have done pretty well from time to time even when all their DPs and/or other important players were away.

The other reason I'm wary -- we've had some very good players in the past as well, that were dumped for one reason or another. Good depth does you no good if you don't get the guys playing together properly, and for a long time.

We shall see.