PDA

View Full Version : How many points for TFC in 2015?

Initial B
03-01-2015, 02:39 PM
It's that time againhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/) - how do you all think TFC will do next year? Vote in the poll in the range of points you think they'll have by the end of the season.

For comparison, here's last year's thread: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35503-How-many-points-for-TFC-in-2014
And here is the thread from 2013: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2013 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33555-How-many-points-for-TFC-in-2013)

Pre-season left me unimpressed. Although better at the back, scoring is still an issue. Sure they scored two last game, but Columbus and Philly beat that same team by 2-0 and 3-0 scores respectively. Coupled with my concerns about player fragility (Caldwell, Morrow and Cheyrou), a mid-season slump, the inevitable injury to one of our DPs, and the loss of at least three of our starters to the Gold Cup, its going to be rough. I expect the 7 game starting roadtrip will end 1-4-2 as the players try to gel. By the time they start playing home games, I figure they will be able to winhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/) 10 of them, lose 4 and tie 3. The remaining away games will probably end up 3-5-2 for a total of 49 points.

My feeling is they just might make the playoffs this year, but it's going to be close. Then again, my past forecasts have all been on the conservative side, so they probably will make the playoffs if they can gel. We'll know by end of July if we have reason to hope or not.

nonc
03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
53, 3rd in east. One can dream.

__wowza
03-01-2015, 02:55 PM
keeping it realistic, i'm calling just missed again but the team will show huge signs of progress.

CBTFC
03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Ugh, not this thread again...it's the message board equivalent of the curse of the commentator.

Richard
03-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Where is the amazing quintuple option(MLS Shield, Cup, CA Chapmsionship, CCCL Championship, FIFA Club World Cup). Lulz

Seriously though I think any predication at this point is a crapshoot, so many teams got better all over making our improvement hard to quantify from last years points total.

notthesun
03-01-2015, 03:24 PM
23 points in 2012, 29 in 2013, 41 in 2014. In my mind we either continue the trend of slight improvement, or this is the year we break out (as in top 2 in conference all season). I don't see a regression in the cards this year.

49 has gotten you the last playoff spot two seasons in a row in the East now. Because I think we've improved, perennial contenders Houston and SKC are out of the conference, 6 playoff spots up for grabs, and huge question marks about a number of teams in the East (both expansion clubs, Philly, Montreal, Chicago & Red Bulls), I'm saying 52 points, good for 4th place.

OgtheDim
03-01-2015, 03:43 PM
6th is the goal - everything else is gravy. I'd prefer 4th or above as that guarantees us at least one home playoff date, but I just see too many potential hiccups with this team in terms of how teams can beat us.

TFC07
03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
6th is the goal - everything else is gravy. I'd prefer 4th or above as that guarantees us at least one home playoff date, but I just see too many potential hiccups with this team in terms of how teams can beat us.

Also don't forget we will be losing 2 of our DP's and Canadian player or two to international games. So we will be short handed for good month (at least)!

Huyton
03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm expecting the first home playoff game on Canadian soil to be held at BMO Field this year, but I believe we'll be in the top 3.

portu
03-01-2015, 05:04 PM
55 points, third in the east (i have no rationale for this)

Cashcleaner
03-01-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm gonna have to stick with my prediction made here: TFC/MLS Prediction Contest (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?37095-Tfc-mls-prediction-contest&p=1719591#post1719591). TFC will grab 53 points in 2015.

mowe
03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
We have the talent to be top 3 in the East but factoring in injuries, international duty, and just plain old being TFC I'd say 4th place and 55 points.

Kaz
03-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I like the optimism, after last years "super club" crap I'm a little hesitant.... I also think there is going to be a strike so shortened season so I picked the 39-43 range.

gate7
03-01-2015, 09:37 PM
54 pts

gate7
03-01-2015, 09:41 PM
14w-12t-8l

MartinUtd
03-01-2015, 09:53 PM
I guessed 52 in the other thread but I always over estimate so I hedged it in this one and went with 44-47. Hope I'm wrong.

Ivy
03-01-2015, 09:58 PM
61. First in east.

flatpicker
03-01-2015, 10:31 PM
More than last year.

jloome
03-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I'd just like to point out to anyone who hasn't taken it yet that the thread at the top of the page has this as question 7.

50 pts, and either third or fourth in the east.

trane
03-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Hahahahahha.Can we see the team play some regular season games before we make some predictions????? I have not idea. I have not idea how good they will be as a TEAM over the season, I have to see 3-5 regular season games to be able to make a prediction.

I would think, that we have more then enough to make the playoffs, but it all depends on the usual stuff, can we keep shape, can we stay organize, can we defend? We have enough to score enough goals to win games, but the rest of the stuff is about team play, and that I have to see.

Initial B
03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
I'd just like to point out to anyone who hasn't taken it yet that the thread at the top of the page has this as question 7.
Yes, but I like doing this poll because you end up with a histogram of expectations at the beginning of the season. And we can all marvel at how well we predicted or laugh at how far off we were. It's all about expectations before first kick based on what we've seen in the offseason transactions and grainy, preseason video footage. :)

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Ugh, not this thread again...it's the message board equivalent of the curse of the commentator.

If it wasn't before it is now. Thanks for mentioning it. g:D

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Hahahahahha.Can we see the team play some regular season games before we make some predictions????? I have not idea. I have not idea how good they will be as a TEAM over the season, I have to see 3-5 regular season games to be able to make a prediction.

That defeats the purpose. Wait a couple games and what kind of a prediction is it?

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2015, 09:34 AM
47. Groundhogs Day replay of last season - promising start, injuries, frustrating end. That's logical me. Emotional me is "squueeeee, moar goalz!!!!!11!!"

I'm actually hopeful that we can do better, we have a better bench and that might get us through. My main concern is injuries at a critical time, say during Gold Cup with MB and JA gone.

Joe Kool
03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
I have the feeling that we will have a shot at the playoffs maybe a little more than other years but a few key injuries and boom...again. An improvement in total points over last year I think we will see for sure though.

pdubs
03-02-2015, 09:52 AM
We have added quality, depth and more young players. Giovinco is here and ready to go before the season stars. 2 good teams move to the west and 2 expansion teams come in. Another playoff spot is added. I went with 52-56 tho our ceiling can be higher. Having those backlogged home games down the stretch gives us the opportunity to finish strong.

If we miss this time... idk. I just don't know anymore lol. Everything is set up for us to make the playoffs and make a dent.

edit- on paper we are a top 3 team in the east.

WestStandGeoff
03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
I went with 52-56, but it's a really tough call...

Sure we added depth, but by the looks of things so did a lot of other teams. Add in the Gold Cup this summer where we lose Bradley and Altidore for a month or so and it's even harder to gauge.

Canary10
03-02-2015, 10:49 AM
I'll say 44-47. It's the next step on our plod to respectability. If we can get the top of that range it'll be playoffs with the "almost every team gets in" thing MLS is doing this year. I'm going low because I think we're weaker up top this year without Defoe and Gilberto. Jozy isn't a replacement. Better in mid, and marginally better at the back. And although he seems a good strategic, tactical thinker I don't think Vanney will motivate to get the best out of this group. If Michael Bradley can fill that hole, we might get to the higher end of the 40s.

ryan
03-02-2015, 10:57 AM

FRANKIE65
03-02-2015, 11:11 AM
I refuse to answer due to the fact that I am one superstitious bastard. All I ask for is some entertaining, competitive, football this year.

Ultra & Proud
03-02-2015, 11:13 AM
On the bubble I say but we should sneak in the playoffs with the additional spot open. Still sticking with 49 for the year.

Areathrasher
03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Improve the home form over last year and the 50 point mark should be achievable.

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Well done sir, every point is ours. Or maybe it is like Harry Potter, we get additional points for good works? 5 points to Benoit Cheryrou for helping a guy change his bike tire!

BuSaPuNk
03-02-2015, 11:50 AM

I like the cut of your jib sir.

All your points are belong to us.

Ajax TFC
03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I'll say 44-47. It's the next step on our plod to respectability. If we can get the top of that range it'll be playoffs with the "almost every team gets in" thing MLS is doing this year. I'm going low because I think we're weaker up top this year without Defoe and Gilberto. Jozy isn't a replacement. Better in mid, and marginally better at the back. And although he seems a good strategic, tactical thinker I don't think Vanney will motivate to get the best out of this group. If Michael Bradley can fill that hole, we might get to the higher end of the 40s.
Defoe and Gilberto never clicked at all, and apparently didn't like each other. It never even worked on paper. Jozy and Giovinco have the potential to be a much better pair than what we had last year.

Ajax TFC
03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Why isn't supporters' shield an option?

Canary10
03-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Defoe and Gilberto never clicked at all, and apparently didn't like each other. It never even worked on paper. Jozy and Giovinco have the potential to be a much better pair than what we had last year.

Anyone has the potential to be anything. I don't think they will be better which is why I said it.

Initial B
03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Why isn't supporters' shield an option?
Well, alot depends on what goes on in the other conference, so if TFC is Conference Champion and has more points than the top team in the West, then SS it is. But you can't win the SS unless you're the Conference Champion. And you'll probably need 64 points at least. Maybe something to revise for the next iteration.

Ajax TFC
03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Anyone has the potential to be anything. I don't think they will be better which is why I said it.
Actually, you said that Jozy isn't a replacement for Gilberto and Defoe. Conveniently leaving out the fact that Jozy isn't the only player that we brought in to replace those two.

Canary10
03-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Actually, you said that Jozy isn't a replacement for Gilberto and Defoe. Conveniently leaving out the fact that Jozy isn't the only player that we brought in to replace those two.

I just meant I feel we are weaker up top and, as an aside, I don't think Jozy is a good replacement. I was thinking of Giovinco more as a midfielder, which is partly why I said we were stronger there. Even with him up top I don't think we're better. We still lack the guy that can finish the one chance he gets. My overall point is I think we have less capability to score than last year.

Ajax TFC
03-02-2015, 01:50 PM
I just meant I feel we are weaker up top and, as an aside, I don't think Jozy is a good replacement. I was thinking of Giovinco more as a midfielder, which is partly why I said we were stronger there. Even with him up top I don't think we're better. We still lack the guy that can finish the one chance he gets. My overall point is I think we have less capability to score than last year.
Fair enough

TheGoodson
03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I think TFC will finish 3rd or 4th in the division - With 54 points

Auzzy
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
So I was quickly scanning through the list of "What's new" posts, and for a moment I read "How many pints for TFC in 2015?" Sadly, I was mistaken.

HeyToronto
03-02-2015, 03:36 PM
We still lack the guy that can finish the one chance he gets. My overall point is I think we have less capability to score than last year.

I disagree. I think the team will produce far more scoring opportunities so we won't have to worry about players finishing the one chance they get.

Plus Defoe was done by the time Vanney took the team over so if your comparing players he had to his disposal were much better off.

OgtheDim
03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
...We still lack the guy that can finish the one chance he gets. ...

So does most of the league. To me, the only consistent striker like that left in MLS is Keane. The rest of them are streaky as heck. We'll see how Villa does.

If Altidore gets 13, that would be fine for a first year back. I just add that to the list of things that could go wrong which will cause us to lose points and not be a SS contender this season.

Canary10
03-02-2015, 07:15 PM
So does most of the league. To me, the only consistent striker like that left in MLS is Keane. The rest of them are streaky as heck. We'll see how Villa does.

If Altidore gets 13, that would be fine for a first year back. I just add that to the list of things that could go wrong which will cause us to lose points and not be a SS contender this season.

Yeah that's a good point. Martins and Dempsey are pretty consistent, natural goal scorers. Not that many more. Higuain and Valeri maybe.

When I look at it that way I'd say TFC aren't at SS level, but really could be anywhere from just below that to out of the playoffs.

GBV
03-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Some rather confident predictions here:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/02/2015-mls-predictions-cup-winners-mvp-lampard-or-gerrard-kaka-or-giovinco/

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Some rather confident predictions here:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/02/2015-mls-predictions-cup-winners-mvp-lampard-or-gerrard-kaka-or-giovinco/

Jeez-us. Bez should send those guys a gift basket.

Areathrasher
03-02-2015, 09:57 PM
They threw so much shit at the wall some of it is bound to stick.

kwhisperer
03-03-2015, 04:23 PM

Like Fergie Olver talking about a Jays pitcher working on a no-hitter?

Manager87
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM
0-because this league is going on strike although MLS have to much to loose if the 2 sides dont agree

pdubs
03-04-2015, 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRYM8O5N0A0

PizzaEatingYeti
03-04-2015, 02:08 PM

55 freaking big pizza eating yeti points!

themodelcitizen
03-04-2015, 07:50 PM
when you actually look at the points required like that it seems a tough task. Messi, Ronaldo and Neuer would struggle in an MLSE team

Prof
04-21-2015, 12:02 PM
With a record of 1 win and 4 losses in the first 5 games and many people calling for changes, I am going to be optimistic and predict that TFC will end the season with 16 wins, 13 losses and 5 ties for a total of 53 points to finally make the playoffs.

Qman
04-21-2015, 03:51 PM
25pts ... this season will be the worst yet

5-19-10

Fort York Redcoat
04-22-2015, 07:48 AM
25pts ... this season will be the worst yet

5-19-10

http://thewrittenreference.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/sky-is-falling11.jpg

Love it. Predict the worst and it couldn't POSSIBLY actually happen. SPORTS LOGIC.

Ultra & Proud
04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
25 points is hilarious. No, even with Vanney at his present we will manage more than that but if we stay the course then I think I need to adjust my prediction of 49 to something around 42.

Areathrasher
04-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Having gone through the schedule, the most optimistic (right now) projection gets us to 47 points.

Initial B
04-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Sorry guys, no changes. This thread is supposed to be a gauge of pre-season expectations you can't change it now. :)

I figured they would really struggle through the road trip - if they win one of the next two games then they've exceeded my expectations. I still expect they will get their act together in the second half of the season and that another couple of pieces will be joining the team in the summer transfer window.

That said, I find it amusing that there have been two additions in the < 30 points option over the last 24 hours. Even I don't think they're going to be that bad.

Jack
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
My hope was for us to get a point per match out of this road trip. Hope. I'd still be alright with six points, although it's less than ideal. Three points out of this stretch would be pretty bad.

Initial B
05-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Okay, TFC is now at the 1/4 point of the season and they're on track to be a lower-table team with 38 points by the end of the season. I honestly can't see them being that bad, so I expect this second quarter of the season to be a better indication of where they are as a team, and how good. Then again, by the halfway point of the season, Bez had better have some mid-season reinforcements or else he isn't doing his job.

Qman
05-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Okay, TFC is now at the 1/4 point of the season and they're on track to be a lower-table team with 38 points by the end of the season. I honestly can't see them being that bad, so I expect this second quarter of the season to be a better indication of where they are as a team, and how good. Then again, by the halfway point of the season, Bez had better have some mid-season reinforcements or else he isn't doing his job.

the rest of the season is going to get worse and worse. I have no faith in Bez or Vanney.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
the rest of the season is going to get worse and worse. I have no faith in Bez or Vanney.

Well we'll be there to try and talk you off the ledge, man.

Initial B
07-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Well, that's much better. TFC is past the halfway point and would appear to be on target to end the season with about 51 points. Regardless of anything else, that should be good enough for a playoff spot. But based on their ppg pace the this past quarter, I think they could conceivably end up with 54 points - assuming no July/August slump that they suffered last year.

Then again, they still don't have Bradley back or the rumored CB that will shore up the defence... Perhaps even 57 points are possible?

molenshtain
07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Well, that's much better. TFC is past the halfway point and would appear to be on target to end the season with about 51 points. Regardless of anything else, that should be good enough for a playoff spot. But based on their ppg pace the this past quarter, I think they could conceivably end up with 54 points - assuming no July/August slump that they suffered last year.

Then again, they still don't have Bradley back or the rumored CB that will shore up the defence... Perhaps even 57 points are possible?

The fact that reinforcements on the backline are coming in, that Bradley and Altidore probably won't get called up for the September/October international dates, and that 10 of our last 14 are at home means the sky is the limit at this point.

Ajax TFC
07-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Taking our home and away records into account and how many home and away games we have left, we're on pace for 53 points. We have a home PPG of 1.86 and an away PPG of 1.27. With 10 home games and 6 road games left (if I counted properly), that's 18.5 home points and 7.5 home points, for a total of 26 points in our remaining games and a total of 53 points

Initial B
09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Well, the team is into the home stretch and are on track to finish with between 48-49 points. I get the feeling that we're in for a nail-biter of a finish to the season.

Initial B
10-26-2015, 07:49 AM
Welp, the season's over and as expected, TFC was on the bubble with 49 points as predicted. To me this is the same situation as last year. The only reason they're in the playoffs is the league added a playoff position and moved Sporting KC and Houston to the Western Conference to make room for two expansion teams in the East. Otherwise they don't make it.
This off-season, Front Office, for the love of Pete, *please* get an experienced GK and CB. I think those are the main acquisitions they need to make the next step to be a great team.

Detroit_TFC
10-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Wins in wk 33 and 34 would have put TFC on 55, right on target for the group prediction and 2nd in the East. That stings. I picked 44-47, overly pessimistic as usual.

Ultra & Proud
10-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Hey second year in a row that I predicted the final points dead on.

Auzzy
10-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Hey somebody just voted on this poll today. Doesn't seem quite fair. :D

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2015, 06:51 AM

Same prize this year ;)

Could you use your powers for good tonight, please?:scarf:

fergiejr
10-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Can you predict more points next year? :D