PDA

View Full Version : Carver tearing the media a new asshole

RicoSuave44
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Anybody else watching this beauty unfold on ET on GolTV right now? :)

jwfm1985
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
what is he saying?

ExiledRed
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
no, it's up to you to inform us.

Go Rico.

sully
07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Mo says Cunny is out.. - what's that about? - the move to the reserve team I suppose?

Kevvv
07-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Theitr web pole: As Toronto FC Head Coach, what should John Carver be concerned with the most?

59% say the media, 41% say officials, 0% said finishing and scoring goals. Bizarre.

RicoSuave44
07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
To those who didn't see it, JC went on a rage against the media members during the press conference at BMO after the Quakes game on Saturday. GolTV didn't even bleep the word "shit" which I thought was interesting. Anyway, he basically defended his teams performance after one of the press described the team's preformance as "sluggish". Though I don't agree entirely, JC did have a few good points.

Batman
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Thats therefore an old story.

ilikemusic
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Old news.

If he blames anyone but himself for last nights debacle he should lose his job.

SLBuu
07-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Old news.

If he blames anyone but himself for last nights debacle he should lose his job.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

lets blame Carver for Cunny's inability to score from 1 foot out.

reggie
07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
smith has missed 5 from a yard out,ship him out also.
i'm sure we can find a canadian that can miss from a yard out.

ilikemusic
07-23-2008, 07:43 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

lets blame Carver for Cunny's inability to score from 1 foot out.

Lets blame Carver for putting Cunningham out there.

Look Carver blasted the media on the weekend for negativity, and the very next game he walks into the press conference and starts chirping one of his own players. A player he had faith enough to put out there for the final 20 mins.

Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

Roogsy
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM

As opposed to who?

He can only put out there who he has available. If Dichio wasn't hurt, he would've been out there instead.

You were one of those people chanting "We want Smith" weren't you?

OMG...

jayeden
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
do you have any other news from last week please? :|

SLBuu
07-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Look Carver blasted the media on the weekend for negativity, and the very next game he walks into the press conference and starts chirping one of his own players. A player he had faith enough to put out there for the final 20 mins.

Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

i was also dissapointed when i saw cunny coming on but he has scored 99 goals........

he should have BURIED that chance. there is no excuse for a former all-star, former international to not even put himself on line the line to get that ball across.

Carvers tactics seemed to work well for the majority of the game cuz we took it to them. Yes they had their chances, but thats cuz we were pushing forward trying to get that goal. You always leave urself open for counter attacks that way.

i also saw Ibrahim DUCK out of a header which looked like he could get his noggin too. You cant blame Carver for that.

Im not saying Carver is exempt from any blame but for the most part the players need to step it up.

BC101
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
^^^^^^ WORD

I can't believe he ducked a header WHO The fuck called him off that.

ilikemusic
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
As opposed to who?

He can only put out there who he has available. If Dichio wasn't hurt, he would've been out there instead.

You were one of those people chanting "We want Smith" weren't you?

OMG...

Would Carver have ripped Smith in the post game press conference?

Carver put Cunningham in, and then ripped him to the same media who he just complained about being too negative!

If there is one thing I hate more than ineptitude it is hypocrisy.

I wasnt chanting shit at the match yesterday so fuck off with the generalizations. Dont dismiss my opinion by applying someone elses comments to me.

jloome
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Carver put Cunningham in, and then ripped him to the same media who he just complained about being too negative!

I wasnt chanting shit at the match yesterday so fuck off with the generalizations. Dont dismiss my opinion by applying someone elses comments to me.

Ok, I'll dismiss your opinions because you fail to even consider that he might not actually be saying those things for self-serving purposes, but simply because they're true. That's called integrity; bad strategy sometimes, but integrity nonethless. Had someone asked him the question -- "well isn't it also partly your fault for having faith in a guy who didnt' deserve it", he might've answered "well, that's true too" or "it's always my responsibility in the end", which he actually has said this year to the media.

So try not being such a fucking cynic for two minutes, Ok?

Smenge
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
These threads are repetitive and predictable. When the team wins, Carver is loved, when it ties or loses, Carver is a bum. TFC got 4 out of 6 points from Montreal. The tie against Vancouver screwed things up for tfc, and in that game, the team went to sleep as soon as they scored each goal....Carver was dead on when he criticized them that night, and most of the supporters here AGREED with him.....

Roogsy
07-23-2008, 08:59 PM

About Carver, I already agreed earlier that he was stupid for ranting in public like that.

But that wasn't your point. You are calling out Carver for putting Cunningham in. What other option does he have? If you could answer that, then you have a leg to stand on.

As for the chanting "Smith" during the game...you may not have been one of them singing it at the game...but in my mind, you're just the same. That was the point. So you fuck off with that shit.

Derko
07-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Is everyone just trying to justify their own opinion on this thread.

The boys didn't take command of their chances, Carver put Cunny in because of no other choice, get over it, Cunningham should have won the game for us and did not, he should have also won the game for us in Chicago, but tried ever so lamely to draw a penalty and got carded. Cunningham is grasping at straws to score a goal and make his coach happy, but to no avail.
I will be glad when Cunningham is gone.

ilikemusic
07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
About Carver, I already agreed earlier that he was stupid for ranting in public like that.

But that wasn't your point. You are calling out Carver for putting Cunningham in. What other option does he have? If you could answer that, then you have a leg to stand on.

Yes, Carver has no other option. But when youre stretched that thin, is it a good idea to publicly shame your only option? Is it a good idea to use up a SI spot and the cap space on a player who the coach seems to hate? To put al the blame solely on Cunningham is letting JC and Mo off the hook. Just to back up my point let me quote Ben Knight's column from today...

'The need for new strikers is now officially desperate. Frankly, it's a job that should have been done by now. What is the point of all those accumulated allocations, cash reserves, international roster spots and draft picks if there was no seasoned professional goal poacher out there to tap home that dying quail of a ball in the 89th minute? Building for the future is fine and commendable, but this was The Game, and nobody was there to answer the bell when it finally – and desperately – rang.'

How many times now has Carver said 'we know what we need. Weve just got to go out and do it'. Well why wasnt it done? Why did he leave it until it was too late? Why did he go into this match with a striker he obviously has absolutely no faith in?

As Knight said, it should have been done by now. We can blame Cunny all we want for being a useless striker, but isnt it the managers job to make sure he has a squad he can believe in? Especially when going into such an important game?

If the difference between believing in Cunny and calling him out and sending him to the reserves was the couple inches he couldnt get on the ball last night then I think its only right to seriously question Carver's choices. It almost seems like Cunny was set up to be the fall guy and Carver planned on throwing him under the bus all along.

Roogsy
07-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Again...you missed the point. Your post said:

That has nothing to do with the rant after the game which is obviously Carver bemoaning the fact that all he has at his disposal is Cunny. You seem to insinuate he had other options...what were they?

And if all he has is Cunny...should you be mad at Carver...or at Mo?

All I am asking for is a little perspective and objectivity.

SLBuu
07-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Yes, Carver has no other option. But when youre stretched that thin, is it a good idea to publicly shame your only option? Is it a good idea to use up a SI spot and the cap space on a player who the coach seems to hate? To put al the blame solely on Cunningham is letting JC and Mo off the hook. Just to back up my point let me quote Ben Knight's column from today...

'The need for new strikers is now officially desperate. Frankly, it's a job that should have been done by now. What is the point of all those accumulated allocations, cash reserves, international roster spots and draft picks if there was no seasoned professional goal poacher out there to tap home that dying quail of a ball in the 89th minute? Building for the future is fine and commendable, but this was The Game, and nobody was there to answer the bell when it finally – and desperately – rang.'

How many times now has Carver said 'we know what we need. Weve just got to go out and do it'. Well why wasnt it done? Why did he leave it until it was too late? Why did he go into this match with a striker he obviously has absolutely no faith in?

As Knight said, it should have been done by now. We can blame Cunny all we want for being a useless striker, but isnt it the managers job to make sure he has a squad he can believe in? Especially when going into such an important game?

If the difference between believing in Cunny and calling him out and sending him to the reserves was the couple inches he couldnt get on the ball last night then I think its only right to seriously question Carver's choices. It almost seems like Cunny was set up to be the fall guy and Carver planned on throwing him under the bus all along.

you make some good points but in all fairness, Toronto FC has tried to get that striker ur talking about.

remember the news stories going around? Nuno Gomes, Sukur, Dickov ring any bells?

Its not as easy as saying, "Hey!!! Ibrahimovic, we need a striker, come play for us would ya!!"

Especially if you take Dickov into consideration. We were showing the guy around for a week and he still decided to go back to england. LOOK AT HUCKERBY. We dont know what goes on behind the scenes but we do know they are trying to get a striker, it just hasn't happened yet.

So Carver is left to work with what he's got.

invictusTFC
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM

In all fairness, isn't signing players Mo's job. As far as JC is concerned he has done his job in identifying the types of players he needs for this team to be successful. Its up to Mo to go out there and get these players. I understand he's tried to go out and sign players like Hucks, Dickov, Gomes and Sukur, but are these the kinds of players TFC needs? They all probably would have commanded a substantial salary and how many goals would they actually guarantee us considering they are all past their prime. I think Mo has to identify players within the MLS or even USL possibly who can come in here and give this team an offensive spark. Mo needs to forget England for now and explore options in South America of even Eastern Europe. Furthermore, it seems that he is banking way too much on the McBride saga. This situation has taken so long to resolve that McBride has begun to lose all patience and is ready to go to the Olympics which will further deter Chicago from making a deal for him now.

P.S. Reports have suggested that Smith is carrying a slight knock, which maybe led JC to opt for Cunny in the MTL game.

nimamalek
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Carver is a great coach, and he was right about the SJ game
1. completely dominated the game
2. defensively sound
3. controlled the midfield
4. team had the best chances
5. Geuvara missed a penalty
6. Ricketts missed a break

I think Carver did his job and the team played well, finishing is not something a coach can control and a sluggish team doesnt completely shut out his opponents

TFC Cityboy
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
These threads are repetitive and predictable. When the team wins, Carver is loved, when it ties or loses, Carver is a bum. TFC got 4 out of 6 points from Montreal. The tie against Vancouver screwed things up for tfc, and in that game, the team went to sleep as soon as they scored each goal....Carver was dead on when he criticized them that night, and most of the supporters here AGREED with him.....
sorry to be pedantic, but if we had kept the lead at Swangard we'd have been level on points with MTL and would still have needed to win the last match. Bottom line is that in football you need to win and home and scrape something away. We did fine away in this cup, we blew it at home v Vancouver on Canada Day by trying to call it in.

Just sayin'
;)

Stencils
07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
...in football you need to win and home and scrape something away. We did fine away in this cup, we blew it at home v Vancouver on Canada Day by trying to call it in.

Just sayin'
;)

Too right. Our home form has been languishing ever since the media (and we the supporters) picked up on the whole 'undefeated at home' business.

The boys have become too complacent in their own house.