PDA

View Full Version : CCL thread 2015

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yohan
02-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Anyone watching Saprissa vs America game right now? Pretty decent and cracking atmosphere at Costa Rica
http://firstrowca.eu/watch/324663/1/watch-deportivo-saprissa-vs-club-america-mexico.html

Lennon
02-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Pretty good game! I think the post has been hit like 3 times already. Amazing it's still 0-0.

MartinUtd
02-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Damn what an ending. Sounds like it was a really good game too.

Defoe
02-26-2015, 09:09 PM
DC United down 3-1

Smokecell
02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
DC gets absolutely smacked around in Costa Rica 5-2. Late goal is killer...Losing 4-2 on the road at least seemed do-able for them back at home in the 2nd leg.

evermorian
02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
And all of the MLS's hopes now rest on Montreal.

ryan
02-27-2015, 10:04 AM
And all of the MLS's hopes now rest on Montreal.

There's always next year

gmacpheetfc
02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
If Montreal Win the tournament would the shit caps be forced out?

Smokecell
02-27-2015, 12:25 PM
If Montreal Win the tournament would the shit caps be forced out?

If you are implying that the champion automatically qualifies for the following CL that is not the case, so no the caps cannot be forced out.

Lennon
03-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Herediano 3 America 0

Montreal's odds of winning the Champions League will never be higher than they are now :frown2:

kodiakTFC
03-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Herediano 3 America 0

Montreal's odds of winning the Champions League will never be higher than they are now :frown2:

wow. what a result.

Kaz
03-18-2015, 12:32 AM
If the result holds in the second leg it will be the first time Mexico would not have a team in the Finals let alone being the first time a Mexican side doesn't win.

I mean it is Montreal they fact they made it this far is ridiculous. (though positive) The fact I doubt more then 25,000 will be at the Big O tomorrow is worse. Though a Canadian Side Winning it would be crazy.

Likely more will be there.. but I doubt it.. just because it's Montreal and they suck. it's not based in any sort of factual reality.

kodiakTFC
03-18-2015, 02:36 AM
If the result holds in the second leg it will be the first time Mexico would not have a team in the Finals let alone being the first time a Mexican side doesn't win.

I mean it is Montreal they fact they made it this far is ridiculous. (though positive) The fact I doubt more then 25,000 will be at the Big O tomorrow is worse. Though a Canadian Side Winning it would be crazy.

Likely more will be there.. but I doubt it.. just because it's Montreal and they suck. it's not based in any sort of factual reality.

They've announced 30,000 tickets sold on twitter. Historically, their walk up is big for games like this. I'd expect 34,000 which is a very healthy number.

Oldtimer
03-18-2015, 07:15 AM
I wish the Impact well, it would be good for Canada to have a club make the next round.

Defoe
03-18-2015, 05:20 PM
I wish the Impact well, it would be good for Canada to have a club make the next round.

I cheered for them against Mexico. I hate montreal fans but I really don't want an MLS team losing to a Costa rican team... so fuck. I wouldn't want them to win the whole thing though.

Lennon
03-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Montreal would have bragging rights over us forever if they won the whole thing.

Supporting
03-18-2015, 07:41 PM
that chant is very catchy

Kaz
03-18-2015, 07:48 PM
I cheered for them against Mexico. I hate Montreal fans but I really don't want an MLS team losing to a Costa Rican team... so fuck. I wouldn't want them to win the whole thing though.
Well there may be no Mexican team in the final.. so Montreal might be the team that needs to win the whole thing. Which will be a huge embarrassment to Liga MX

HOneestly though I kinda want Montreal to make it to the Club World Cup, 500,000 would help with advertising and promoting the team, even after the players get a cut.

Oldtimer
03-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Quite a good game by Montreal so far. 2-0 for them very quickly. Nice atmosphere.

Petor
03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Quite a good game by Montreal so far. 2-0 for them very quickly. Nice atmosphere.

Who the hell are those guys in white?

Detroit_TFC
03-18-2015, 08:08 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Klopas didn't become a genius all of a sudden. Only one answer - Adam Braz is a genius.

I'm not ready for that kind of reality.

backbeat
03-18-2015, 08:09 PM
is there a stream?

Oldtimer
03-18-2015, 08:13 PM
www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-live/

TFC07
03-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Montreal would have bragging rights over us forever if they won the whole thing.

Blame TFC for sacrificing V-Cup in hopes of making into MLS playoffs in the last two years.

Defoe
03-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Blame TFC for sacrificing V-Cup in hopes of making into MLS playoffs in the last two years.

Cameron Porter has looked good

Aljuenseeeuhgnhtrugbk has not

Oldtimer
03-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Solid defending by the Impact.

Richard
03-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Montreal could be facing these teams in a competitive match.
Barcelona
Bayern
Juventus
Monaco
Paris
Porto
Real Madrid

Damn you Nelson. *Shakes fist at sky*

TFC07
03-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Montreal could be facing these teams in a competitive match.
Barcelona
Bayern
Juventus
Monaco
Paris
Porto
Real Madrid

Damn you Nelson. *Shakes fist at sky*

It's not just Nelson, but whole TFC management and even some fans willing to sacrifice V-Cup/CCL for playoffs.

I wish people understand being a Canadian club playing in American league and winning their championship isn't more important than winning region championship. They both should be valued equally for Canadian clubs.

Lennon
03-18-2015, 08:36 PM

That and this guy.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kyle+Beckerman+Real+Salt+Lake+v+FC+Dallas+DhSKOnqs 5Mrl.jpg

We should be watching FC Edmonton right now.

Initial B
03-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Ciman has been a wall tonight. Nothing is getting past him. I wish we had him paired with Perquis.

Oldtimer
03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Solid killing off of the match... and it's game won 2-0. No away goals conceded.

Kaz
03-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I really hope they can pull it off in Costa Rica... 3-0 would have been nicer. But that is a good start.

TFC07
03-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Montreal win 1st leg!

OgtheDim
03-18-2015, 09:00 PM

Until we beat them.

Good result. Will be tough to get the result down there but they are in with a good chance.

Detroit_TFC
03-18-2015, 09:04 PM
The prospect of Montreal playing this well in the league has me deeply irritated.

Areathrasher
03-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Man, how did Cameron Porter fall to the third round?

Globetrotter
03-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Man, how did Cameron Porter fall to the third round?

Because guys like O'Brian White will work out long term much better.

mowe
03-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Great win by Montreal, they played really well. Gave themselves a real shot to advance, although the second leg will be very tough

kodiakTFC
03-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Good job MTL. The next leg is in three weeks! That is ridiculous.

Also, if they do manage to not screw this up... Which is distinctly possible, anyone remember that Santos Laguna game... I hope they sell out the Big O.

Shway
03-19-2015, 12:29 AM
I was cheering for the impact to get past pachuca... Now I'm saying fawhkk them.

Being regional champs trumps any chants, any DPs signings, any playoff berths, any record sellouts.

What I'm saying is, they would be considered better than TFC forever until we have won it.

So I say now, Forza Allajuenese!

Lennon
03-19-2015, 12:35 AM
Until we beat them.

Idk. I don't think winning a few games against them would do it.

What I'm saying is, they would be considered better than TFC forever until we have won it.

Yup.

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 06:02 AM

Meh...is Nottingham Forrest better forever then Manchester City?

This game doesn't stop. Ur only as good as you are on the day.

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 06:30 AM
And I don't get why people worry about what supporters of another team think and say.

Win on the pitch on the day. Everything else is noise.

bigredone
03-19-2015, 07:05 AM
And I don't get why people worry about what supporters of another team think and say.

Unless you live with, or have a co-worker that is a fan. It is just monumentally annoying. It will all end in August, though.

JamboAl
03-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Or having your girlfriend of 6 years being an Impact supporter...

bigredone
03-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Monta-reds and Capu-blues

JayMolly
03-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Great win by Montreal, they played really well. Gave themselves a real shot to advance, although the second leg will be very tough
^
We agree. Not Montreal fans but with this club representing Canada and MLS, we were on the edge of our seats for that first 15 minutes. Considering the MLS season has just started the Montreal players played as a team and deserved to win.

ryan
03-19-2015, 09:18 AM
can't handle the pro impact comments in here. *pukes*

Shway
03-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Win on the pitch on the day. Everything else is noise.

"Other supporters" is different from "Rival supporters".
This is how rivalries are fuelled.

WIN a league game on the day is noise. (Because you can get them next game or next year)
WIN a continental trophy is glory, praise, and world recognition. (Qualification for the next tournament is not guaranteed)

I don't see how you don't see this as such.

Shway
03-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Meh...is Nottingham Forrest better forever then Manchester City?

This game doesn't stop. Ur only as good as you are on the day.

To compare Nottingham Forrest to Manchester City, it shows me you don't understand/or grasp the idea of true rivalries.
Those two teams are not rivals, and never will be.

so to help you out

Meh...is Manchester United better forever then Manchester City?.

Currently Yes, because they have way more league, cup, and European championships than city does, so all in all that club is better.

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 10:11 AM
"Other supporters" is different from "Rival supporters".
This is how rivalries are fuelled.

WIN a league game on the day is noise. (Because you can get them next game or next year)
WIN a continental trophy is glory, praise, and world recognition. (Qualification for the next tournament is not guaranteed)

I don't see how you don't see this as such.

As previously stated, when people start treating Nottingham Forest as a bigger and better team then Man City, then I'll believe this means anything close to "forever".

I don't need praise and or cringing in woe at our success by others to support TFC.

And, although I could quote you quite a few people who support other rivals who are happy to see their big rival win on the big stage, no, I don't care about how rivalries are done in other countries. I support TFC cause I support TFC. I don't need loathing of the Impact in all aspects to do that.

(This is one of those "ur not a real supporter" discussions and is going to go nowhere)

Shway
03-19-2015, 10:39 AM
(This is one of those "ur not a real supporter" discussions and is going to go nowhere)

You know I was not intending for it to be that way.......but I guess you're right lol.

all I'm saying is there is no reason to support them. There only Canadian team by name, as no one in their starting xi was Canadian. I get it if your wife/gf/bf/family member supports them....that happens.

I just cant understand supporting them to win it, especially when you have no ties to the club.

it was cool when they were in D2 in the semi finals (playing with Canadian content) but now.....I just don't get it.

"Hardcore" fan or not....this is not common.

Petor
03-19-2015, 10:52 AM
You know I was not intending for it to be that way.......but I guess you're right lol.

all I'm saying is there is no reason to support them. There only Canadian team by name, as no one in their starting xi was Canadian. I get it if your wife/gf/bf/family member supports them....that happens.

I just cant understand supporting them to win it, especially when you have no ties to the club.

it was cool when they were in D2 in the semi finals (playing with Canadian content) but now.....I just don't get it.

"Hardcore" fan or not....this is not common.

Well, Montreal is a Canadian club playing in the MLS, so I'm cheering for a Canadian MLS club playing against a Costa Rican club.

As for not common, a person I know who is an ex-pat was cheering for Tottenham when they were playing against a German club.
I know he is a die hard Arsenal supporter so I asked him why he was supporting a rival, his reply was simply that they were playing against a German club.

EastYork
03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Well, Montreal is a Canadian club playing in the MLS, so I'm cheering for a Canadian MLS club playing against a Costa Rican club.

As for not common, a person I know who is an ex-pat was cheering for Tottenham when they were playing against a German club.
I know he is a die hard Arsenal supporter so I asked him why he was supporting a rival, his reply was simply that they were playing against a German club.
This is exactly how I feel

jloome
03-19-2015, 11:34 AM
To compare Nottingham Forrest to Manchester City, it shows me you don't understand/or grasp the idea of true rivalries.
Those two teams are not rivals, and never will be.

so to help you out

Instead of being arrogant, why don't you assume that he was making a point you didn't understand, rather than that his point was ludicrous? Of course he wasn't comparing them as rivals, which is how you read it; he was saying that Nottingham Forrest has won Europe, and yet is not remembered as being better than Man City. So Montreal, by extension, won't necessarily be remembered forever as better than TFC.

Jesus. Take a second and think about what he's saying before you "help him out".

gmacpheetfc
03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Question(s): If the impact win do they automatically qualify for next years tournament? And if so does that mean the Canadian Championship doesn't mean anything this year?

Kaz
03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Ya I'm supporting the Canadian Club in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Kaz
03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Question(s): If the impact win do they automatically qualify for next years tournament? And if so does that mean the Canadian Championship doesn't mean anything this year?

No the winner qualifies for the Club World Cup....

ensco
03-19-2015, 11:53 AM
This is being made out to be more complex than it is.

I'll root for any amazing thing in sports, really. This would be an amazing thing.

Oldtimer
03-19-2015, 12:12 PM

It seems obvious to me. I'd cheer for any Canadian team when playing against Mexico or Central America.

One thing I've seen is that solid defence work is they key to winning continental football in CONCACAF. That's why Preki did so well in the CCL with TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2015, 12:12 PM

I don't know if they automatically qualify if they win but that shouldn't have a bearing on the Vcup entry.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2015, 12:15 PM
I was cheering for the impact to get past pachuca... Now I'm saying fawhkk them.

Being regional champs trumps any chants, any DPs signings, any playoff berths, any record sellouts.

So I say now, Forza Allajuenese!

Cheer the way you want. There will be others doing it differently.

You think it detestable to cheer for Montreal past a certain point.
There are people in this very thread that think to do so at all is detestable.

There is room for all.

CanadaLFC
03-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Just speaking for myself, personally. I am not in the camp that wants to see Montreal do well, in anything. The rivalry is there for a reason. The only thing I hope the team achieves is being able to stick around in Montreal for the long-term, as it gives us our only natural rivalry.

I couldn't bear even the thought of them being CCL champions, it something they will hang over our heads. With that in mind, I hope they crash and burn in the 2nd leg.

bones
03-19-2015, 12:21 PM
I don't have to cheer for or against, I simply don't give a rats ass.

It's not TFC so I just don't care.

Petor
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Just speaking for myself, personally. I am not in the camp that wants to see Montreal do well, in anything. The rivalry is there for a reason. The only thing I hope the team achieves is being able to stick around in Montreal for the long-term, as it gives us our only natural rivalry.

I couldn't bear even the thought of them being CCL champions, it something they will hang over our heads. With that in mind, I hope they crash and burn in the 2nd leg.

That's okay, to each his own.
You can cheer for the Costa Rican club team, I'll cheer for the Canadian club team even though they are our rivals.

CanadaLFC
03-19-2015, 12:37 PM
That's okay, to each his own.
You can cheer for the Costa Rican team , I'll cheer for the Canadian team.

I don't see it as that. I see it as Montreal vs. Alajuelense.

I will be cheering for Canada, when they actually play Costa Rica in the Gold Cup.

Petor
03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

I will be cheering for Canada, when they actually play Costa Rica in the Gold Cup.

Sorry, worded it wrong, have since corrected it.

RealG-TFC
03-19-2015, 12:48 PM

On an even more micro scale you could look at it as CMNT players (at the very least Bernier and Tissot who seem to be the only ones getting minutes) vs. typical CONCACAF opponents that always seem to beat us.

If there is anything legitimate to cheer for, its for the success of regular/future national team members in the sorts of environments that we tend to struggle in come qualifying. And those members happen to be on Montreal and not Alajuelense.

CanadaLFC
03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
I can understand the "Cheering For MTL" point of view. I suppose it's done because the game is still in relative infancy in Canada and thus people want the status of Canadian soccer to be raised by clubs doing well.

I suppose, I was just always taught to hate rivals. Just my point of view.

Captain Cook
03-19-2015, 01:44 PM
I can understand the "Cheering For MTL" point of view. I suppose it's done because the game is still in relative infancy in Canada and thus people want the status of Canadian soccer to be raised by clubs doing well.

Agree with you there, I never want Vancouver or Montreal to win.

Germany is super weird when it comes to this, its not rare to see a Dortmund supporter cheering for Schalke in the Champions League.

Detroit_TFC
03-19-2015, 02:00 PM
My main interest is seeing underdogs go on a run. In practical terms that translates typically to MLS teams, given the record thus far. If it was a traditionally poor performing Mexican team playing well beyond expectation, I could get behind that.

Montreal is on a run so I'm interested. When they lose, no longer interested.

flatpicker
03-19-2015, 02:05 PM
My main interest is seeing underdogs go on a run. In practical terms that translates typically to MLS teams, given the record thus far. If it was a traditionally poor performing Mexican team playing well beyond expectation, I could get behind that.

Montreal is on a run so I'm interested. When they lose, no longer interested.

Sums it up nicely for me.

MartinUtd
03-19-2015, 02:13 PM
When Montreal blow this lead in Costa Rica it's going to be fucking GLORIOUS.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2015, 02:25 PM

Nope. It's right in the culture of sport here in Canada.

All one has to do is listen to "playoff talk". Especially hockey. Team A is out so I'm "cheering", "rooting" for Team B because they are Canadian, have the most Canadians on said team or just has A favourite Canadian on it.

I've done it and then wondered why. Not a real big interest and if its ones rivals for the rest of the season, why is it ok in the playoffs?

Takes all kinds.

TorontoGooner
03-19-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm not a bandwagoner. You can't say you consider someone a rival, only to then support them when they're doing well.

Fuck 'em. They'll get dipped in the next leg anyways and their season will be over

flatpicker
03-19-2015, 03:14 PM
There is only one sports team that I despise enough to never cheer for under any circumstances. And that is the Ottawa Senators. Beyond that, I just like a good underdog story, and it matters not what teams are involved.

flatpicker
03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm not a bandwagoner. You can't say you consider someone a rival, only to then support them when they're doing well.

Fuck 'em. They'll get dipped in the next leg anyways and their season will be over

I don't think it has anything to do with jumping on the bandwagon. That would imply that you are now a fan of that team. Nobody here is claiming to be a fan of the Impact. They are simply cheering for them in a that game. Big difference, I think.

Petor
03-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Ok, so how do you explain a Liverpool supporter cheering on Everton in the Europa cup match today against Dynamo Kiev?
Talked to him in my local just now.
He told me as long as it doesn't affect his team in the standings, he will always cheer for the English team even though they are a rival.

Maybe it's us who have to grow up.

Shway
03-19-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks "cheering for MTL is cool".

I think we're getting this forum confused with the Voyageurs forum, where all Canadian clubs are supported.

Shway
03-19-2015, 03:48 PM
The under dog thing is any club that is not Mexican. No way are MLS clubs considered under dogs to Costa Rica or Honduras.

Let's keep it real.

Shway
03-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Question:

(To help me understand some of the views of this board.)

If the Montreal impact and FC dallas are in the 2015 MLS Cup final... Who are you "rooting" for?

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Question:

If the Montreal impact and FC dallas are in the 2015 MLS Cup final... Who are you "rooting" for?

A good game. Like most things, this isn't a simple binary discussion.

Petor
03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Question:

Montreal because they are Canadian not American.

jloome
03-19-2015, 03:58 PM

LOL, exactly.

To clear this up for people who can't separate the two: people aren't cheering for the Montreal Impact. They're cheering for a) an MLS team to finally win CCL, especially a weak one; and/or b) a Canadian team to win.

But even those of us excited by that prospect know we'll be disgusted if they actually hoist the thing. It'll be good for MLS and good for Canadian soccer... but it will suck enormous hairy donkey balls, no doubt. It would be sweet, however, if they win and then we sweep them this year.

TorontoGooner
03-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Question:

Dallas, because they are not Montreal

Shway
03-19-2015, 04:06 PM
LOL, exactly.

To clear this up for people who can't separate the two: people aren't cheering for the Montreal Impact. They're cheering for a) an MLS team to finally win CCL, especially a weak one; and/or b) a Canadian team to win.

But even those of us excited by that prospect know we'll be disgusted if they actually hoist the thing. It'll be good for MLS and good for Canadian soccer... but it will suck enormous hairy donkey balls, no doubt. It would be sweet, however, if they win and then we sweep them this year.

I prefer TFC be the first Canadian club, or the first MLS Club. If its not us, I definitely don't want it to be the Whitecaps or the impact. I'll cheer for the Galaxy and the Sounders in the next installment of this tournament.

MTL has nothing to do with Canadian soccer, for the mere fact that Canadians don't play or barely play on this team. They represent their city more than the nation.

And with this my rant is over gentlemen ;)

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Question:

Dallas - no way I would want our rivals to win it. Having said that, I'd probably cheer for Dallas over just about any team in the East.

Captain Cook
03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Ok, so how do you explain a Liverpool supporter cheering on Everton in the Europa cup match today against Dynamo Kiev?
He told me as long as it doesn't affect his team in the standings, he will always cheer for the English team even though they are a rival.

I just don't understand how you can want your biggest rivals to win. What's the point of rivalry then?

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
LOL, exactly.

Yeah, it would be a feel-good story for a MLS team to win it. That's why I want us to be the first. :)

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Most of the Liverpool supporters I know (and I know many) wouldn't.

Having said that, there is a level of mutual respect that exists in that rivalry that doesn't in others. Perhaps because loyalties often cut across family lines more than most. So I can certainly see it happening.

gmacpheetfc
03-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Most of the Liverpool supporters I know (and I know many) wouldn't.

Having said that, there is a level of mutual respect that exists in that rivalry that doesn't in others. Perhaps because loyalties often cut across family lines more than most. So I can certainly see it happening.

How many proper Liverpool supporters do you know?

Petor
03-19-2015, 04:21 PM
I just don't understand how you can want your biggest rivals to win. What's the point of rivalry then?

It's not League play, they are representing your country.

Brooker
03-19-2015, 04:27 PM
It's not League play,they are representing your country.

They're representing Canada? Don't tell their supporters that. :leaving:

Laurignano
03-19-2015, 04:34 PM
From a stand point of how the world views the MLS, I am 100% supporting MTL on their run and hope they lift the CL Trophy.

I would love to see one day more than one Canadian team competing in the CONCACAF Champions league, and the only way this will happen is if Canadian teams are competitive in the MLS and in contentential competitions (and winning a few along the way). I'm also assuming that there is a similar system to what they have in Europe which caused Serie A to only have 3 UEFA CL spots by performing poorly in Europe. All in saying is Canadian teams winning can only help this.

I'm thinking about the growth and reputation of soccer in Canada, to me rivalries come second to that at the moment.

Shway
03-19-2015, 04:36 PM
It's not League play, they are representing your country.

They are representing their City. If they win there will not be parades in Winnipeg or at Parliament Hill.

^^and this is what I mean... Tell an impact supporter to support anything Toronto.

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 04:50 PM
How many proper Liverpool supporters do you know?

How do you define "proper" supporter? Anyways, not sure why it matters how many - I can just say from personal experience that most of the Liverpool supporters I know and socialize with on a regular basis don't really care one way or another that Everton is playing in Europa, let alone are cheering for them. That isn't to say, of course, that none would.

Auzzy
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
LOL this conversation again. We already had a few pages of this a couple of weeks ago in a different thread, when Montreal last played. Even if this thread goes to 100 pages, it won't be resolved (although we might get some people bent properly out of shape). Different people, different contexts, different opinions. Both in Canada & in many other countries.

Petor
03-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Okay, let me rephrase that.

It's not League play, they are a team from your country.

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 05:01 PM
LOL this conversation again. We already had a few pages of this a couple of weeks ago in a different thread, when Montreal last played. Even if this thread goes to 100 pages, it won't be resolved (although we might get some people bent properly out of shape). Different people, different contexts, different opinions. Both in Canada & in many other countries.

True, it won't get resolved here, and it is kind of a pointless argument for that reason. Ultimately, people should be able to cheer for who they want, for the reasons they want. It's a free country.

Heck, even I cheered for Montreal in the last round. But I really don't want them to go any further. I want us to be ones to say we were the first MLS club to win a CCL, and screw all the rest.

I just think there's a lot of incredulity though that on a Toronto FC supporters board, so many people seemingly wouldn't mind seeing our rivals revel in glory.

OgtheDim
03-19-2015, 06:15 PM
They are representing their City. If they win there will not be parades in Winnipeg or at Parliament Hill.

^^and this is what I mean... Tell an impact supporter to support anything Toronto.

Either up thread or on one of the threads about the quarters, an Impact supporter came in here and actually stated they did.

Red Adder
03-19-2015, 06:24 PM
From a stand point of how the world views the MLS, I am 100% supporting MTL on their run and hope they lift the CL Trophy.

I would love to see one day more than one Canadian team competing in the CONCACAF Champions league, and the only way this will happen is if Canadian teams are competitive in the MLS and in contentential competitions (and winning a few along the way). I'm also assuming that there is a similar system to what they have in Europe which caused Serie A to only have 3 UEFA CL spots by performing poorly in Europe. All in saying is Canadian teams winning can only help this.

I'm thinking about the growth and reputation of soccer in Canada, to me rivalries come second to that at the moment.

This !!! I'm cheering for Canadian teams when TFC is not there, and I enjoy the MLS much more now that we have three CA teams.

Koeverman's comment is still our challenge- until Toronto wins something and beats the best, they / we are still the worst team in the world.

Kaz
03-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Did this... why would we support another side in a Competition we aren't in...come up with RSL when they made it to the finals? I don't recall any of it.

PAOK17
03-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no actual coefficient system that determines how many teams are entered per country nor is there one determining which teams are seeded. This is why a team like Orlando City could get a better seeding than TFC or MTL despite not having any past CCL record.

Kaz
03-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no actual coefficient system that determines how many teams are entered per country nor is there one determining which teams are seeded. This is why a team like Orlando City could get a better seeding than TFC or MTL despite not having any past CCL record.

Well it is much more about national success. Panama as since the CONCACAF CL has only made it to the Quarter Finals Twice and never further. They are a Pot A Nation. Canada on the other hand, has made it 3 times, twice to the Semis. Two other years the Team that eliminated the Canadian Team from the Groups were a team that went to the finals. Teams from Panama are regularly at the bottom of the group table. Canadian team is rarely at the bottom even in the three team groups.

Canada isn't going to get a second berth with fewer than 8-12 teams in the Canadian Championship.

However Canadian teams doing well is good for Soccer in Canada. 55,000 at Rogers, 60,000 in Montreal.

If Montreal goes to the final I can't see the Big O not being packed again. Heck I might go..

brad
03-19-2015, 08:46 PM
How do you define "proper" supporter? Anyways, not sure why it matters how many - I can just say from personal experience that most of the Liverpool supporters I know and socialize with on a regular basis don't really care one way or another that Everton is playing in Europa, let alone are cheering for them. That isn't to say, of course, that none would.

My great uncle in the North of England, who is in his 80's, is a life long Liverpool supporter (poor fellow) - he was cheering for Everton today. I suspect most of his Liverpool supporting friends were as well. I also know more than a few older United fans that were cheering for City to do well in the CL.

Cheering for English teams in Europe is still pretty commonplace over in England, it was a lot more so a 10-15 years ago (although not across the big rivalries - except with the older generation)

brad
03-19-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm cheering for Montreal. I hope the win it, and I hope they win it in style. Just like I'd love to see top the top three for the MLS supporters shield be us in first, and Vancouver and Montreal in second, and I'd love to us beat Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS cup final.

Why? Because my love of Canadian soccer is deeper than my dislike of the Impact. And I have long held the opinion that the increased popularity of the domestic game is one of the keys to increasing the quality of our player pool.

I'll always remember something I was told by an elementary school teacher in the first or second year of TFC's existence. She said that her kids would always show up in Leafs gear talking about how they wanted to play hockey. TFC came along, and the kids started showing up in Dichio jersey's talking about playing for TFC.

That's why I want to see the Impact do well, and pack the Big O. Because in that crowd might be some 8 year old kid that decides he wants to be a footballer and play the game in this country.

brad
03-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Well it is much more about national success. Panama as since the CONCACAF CL has only made it to the Quarter Finals Twice and never further. They are a Pot A Nation. Canada on the other hand, has made it 3 times, twice to the Semis. Two other years the Team that eliminated the Canadian Team from the Groups were a team that went to the finals. Teams from Panama are regularly at the bottom of the group table. Canadian team is rarely at the bottom even in the three team groups.

Canada isn't going to get a second berth with fewer than 8-12 teams in the Canadian Championship.

However Canadian teams doing well is good for Soccer in Canada. 55,000 at Rogers, 60,000 in Montreal.

If Montreal goes to the final I can't see the Big O not being packed again. Heck I might go..

I took my 8 year old nephew to the game at the TFC - Galaxy game at the Rogers Center. It was his first game. He started playing soccer that year. Started playing FIFA on his Xbox, and starting cheering for TFC. All by and large to the experience he had at that game.

tfcleeds
03-19-2015, 09:51 PM
My great uncle in the North of England, who is in his 80's, is a life long Liverpool supporter (poor fellow) - he was cheering for Everton today. I suspect most of his Liverpool supporting friends were as well. I also know more than a few older United fans that were cheering for City to do well in the CL.

Cheering for English teams in Europe is still pretty commonplace over in England, it was a lot more so a 10-15 years ago (although not across the big rivalries - except with the older generation)

Yeah, I can see that definitely being the case 15-20 years ago when there was perhaps more of an "us vs. them" mentality in football. Nowadays, I'd have a hard time believing, especially amongst the younger generation, that your average Arsenal supporter would be cheering for the likes of Chelsea or Man United to do well in Europe. And I'll readily concede that most of the older LFC supporters I know would have absolutely no issue cheering for Everton (and vice-versa).

flip
03-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Hi I'm Impact fan sorry for basic english.

Like you, I do have hate for rival (in my case Toronto) but I did root for them in past CCL. I think it's pretty much same debate for Montreal fans, some don't mind, some do.

My modo is to never let hate go past sport. :) However I do understand TFC fans who would have preferred being first team to win CCL - totally normal. In any case, Mtl still far from winning the thing must not choke in Costa Rica.

Ok now the time to get cursed on this board lol. Cheers.

Captain Cook
03-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Hi I'm Impact fan sorry for basic english.

Like you, I do have hate for rival (in my case Toronto) but I did root for them in past CCL. I think it's pretty much same debate for Montreal fans, some don't mind, some do.

My modo is to never let hate go past sport. :) However I do understand TFC fans who would have preferred being first team to win CCL - totally normal. In any case, Mtl still far from winning the thing must not choke in Costa Rica.

Ok now the time to get cursed on this board lol. Cheers.

Why would you get cursed for posting your opinion?

Shway
03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
because he's not real, just a figment of someones imagination trying to convince the haters that the love can be real.

:coolgleam::coolgleam::coolgleam:

MightyDM
03-19-2015, 11:03 PM
This is being made out to be more complex than it is.

I'll root for any amazing thing in sports, really. This would be an amazing thing.

i like this post be caused it helped me explain to myself why I cheered for the Limp Act last night.

must say Reo Coker and Oduro both looked chubby and unfit. Hope it was the HD.

MightyDM
03-19-2015, 11:04 PM
It seems obvious to me. I'd cheer for any Canadian team when playing against Mexico or Central America.

One thing I've seen is that solid defence work is they key to winning continental football in CONCACAF. That's why Preki did so well in the CCL with TFC.

Doesnt bode well for TFC under Vanney.

SirBobSaget
03-19-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm cheering for Montreal. I hope the win it, and I hope they win it in style. Just like I'd love to see top the top three for the MLS supporters shield be us in first, and Vancouver and Montreal in second, and I'd love to us beat Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS cup final.

Why? Because my love of Canadian soccer is deeper than my dislike of the Impact. And I have long held the opinion that the increased popularity of the domestic game is one of the keys to increasing the quality of our player pool.

I'll always remember something I was told by an elementary school teacher in the first or second year of TFC's existence. She said that her kids would always show up in Leafs gear talking about how they wanted to play hockey. TFC came along, and the kids started showing up in Dichio jersey's talking about playing for TFC.

That's why I want to see the Impact do well, and pack the Big O. Because in that crowd might be some 8 year old kid that decides he wants to be a footballer and play the game in this country.

Very well put Brad. This "rivalry" is a figment of the imagination. We're within a 5 hr drive so we have to hate them? Sure they have an annoying handful of fans but im sure its not the majority. Even if you decide they are a rival then the point is to beat them t the top not for them to fight you in the sewers determining who doesn't finish last in the East.

Wouldn't it be much better for Canadian soccer and MLS soccer if a team makes its way to the World Club Championship? TFC could easily have been in this position if management had given a c#$@ about the V cup last year. Instead they aimed for a wild card playoff spot because fans only care about playoffs.

This should be a wake up call to management to not tank the CCL which has been the protocol post Winter.

Oldtimer
03-20-2015, 05:32 AM
This !!! I'm cheering for Canadian teams when TFC is not there, and I enjoy the MLS much more now that we have three CA teams.

Koeverman's comment is still our challenge- until Toronto wins something and beats the best, they / we are still the worst team in the world.

Koeverman's quote is still my tagline for now.

Did this... why would we support another side in a Competition we aren't in...come up with RSL when they made it to the finals? I don't recall any of it.

I was cheering for RSL in 2009, mind you that was easy because they are not a rival, plus they were an MLS underdog who overachieved in Mexico.

What would be harder for me would be the Krew, a rival and not Canadian.

Of course I would love TFC to be the ones there, but I don't believe it's a priority for this club. I blame the media and the fanbase, TFC is just responding to market pressure to make the league the only goal for now.

Oldtimer
03-20-2015, 05:37 AM
All of this is a moot point anyways, Montreal will likely be creamed in Costa Rica. They aren't as good as RSL in 2009. They did well, but their team just isn't at that level.

Oldtimer
03-20-2015, 05:41 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/game-plan-execution-key-impacts-concacaf-win/

For those interested in the football, Molinaro's analysis as to why Montreal won.

OgtheDim
03-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Montreal is capable of an away goal.And they are unlikely to be overawed.

Stadium is called Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto Scotiabank.

And its a turf field.

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Question:

Montreal because they are Canadian not American.

Dallas, because they are not Montreal

Fantastic diverse examples given almost immediately.

To each their own is the answer.

Myself, I separate club and country. Once Toronto exits a tourney I'm not supporting anyone. My interest lies in the industry shown in the game. I would still hate to see our biggest (only IMO) rivals win anything.

I don't feel the need to support any other club for my country. I do that at international matches. There are several Canada games a year.

Laurignano
03-20-2015, 08:15 AM

I think Canadian teams winning could change this. If, lets say, MTL wins the CONCACAF Champions League (CCL), and TFC qualifies for the CCL, then I think CONCACAF will have consider allowing MTL into the competition due to them being the champions of the region. I think it will only be beneficial for Canadian soccer and the MLS if MTL wins the CCL.

In addition, if Canadian teams are constantly doing better than American teams in the league (used to happen all the time in the USL), it also will put more emphasis on the quality of Canadian clubs and CONCACAF will be forced to look at changing things to allow the best clubs in the region into their competition. Not to mention, I think TFC and MTL have some of the highest attendances EVER for a CCL match (I think MTL had the record a few years back). All I'm hoping for is by MTL winning, it starts a ripple effect allowing two Canadian teams to qualify into the CCL. Ideally, there should be a qualifying spot for winning the Canada Cup, and a qualifying spot if a Canadian team seeds high enough in the MLS, therefore taking away a spot from an American team (or having both in). I'm not sure of the correct solution, but I think MTL winning will start these conversations.

flip
03-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Why would you get cursed for posting your opinion?

For being IMFC fan. ;)

For everyone else, I was just trying to say that in similar circumstances, the debate is same in Montreal (and I'm pretty sure it's same in Vancouver).

ryan
03-20-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm not so sure. The long draught of loser teams in Toronto has gotten some people into the habit of bandwagon jumping elsewhere.

We want something to cheer for so badly, we latch on to what we perceive is the next best thing. Those cities have NHL and CFL teams competing (and winning) titles. They don't need to look elsewhere for this.

flip
03-20-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm not so sure. The long draught of loser teams in Toronto has gotten some people into the habit of bandwagon jumping elsewhere.

We want something to cheer for so badly, we latch on to what we perceive is the next best thing. Those cities have NHL and CFL teams competing (and winning) titles. They don't need to look elsewhere for this.

I understand your point, but since I'm part of IMFC fan base, I know what I'm talking about. In any case, don't get me wrong, it's only in similar situation (Toronto was team representing Canada in CCL back then), otherwise Toronto is hated unanimously - as IMFC is unanimously hated here outside CCL.

Maybe not using right words - but I think you get my point.

PS.: Your Rachel Bonnetta is eyecandy.

Derko
03-20-2015, 09:44 AM
I would likely be a neutral spectator and enjoy watching a Championship Football Match.

OgtheDim
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Even if Canada's #2 team was sent to a qualifier round, that would be good. And I can definitely see CONCACAF moving to a larger qualifier round.

And don't underestimate the role of a Canadian sponsor in all this.

kodiakTFC
03-20-2015, 10:12 AM
PS.: Your Rachel Bonnetta is eyecandy.

She left TFC. She works at MLS HQ in New York now.

flip
03-20-2015, 10:17 AM

I know, but she's still from Toronto no? At least, I supposed that much. That's what I meant.

Kaz
03-20-2015, 10:37 AM
I think Canadian teams winning could change this. If, lets say, MTL wins the CONCACAF Champions League (CCL), and TFC qualifies for the CCL, then I think CONCACAF will have consider allowing MTL into the competition due to them being the champions of the region. I think it will only be beneficial for Canadian soccer and the MLS if MTL wins the CCL.

In addition, if Canadian teams are constantly doing better than American teams in the league (used to happen all the time in the USL), it also will put more emphasis on the quality of Canadian clubs and CONCACAF will be forced to look at changing things to allow the best clubs in the region into their competition. Not to mention, I think TFC and MTL have some of the highest attendances EVER for a CCL match (I think MTL had the record a few years back). All I'm hoping for is by MTL winning, it starts a ripple effect allowing two Canadian teams to qualify into the CCL. Ideally, there should be a qualifying spot for winning the Canada Cup, and a qualifying spot if a Canadian team seeds high enough in the MLS, therefore taking away a spot from an American team (or having both in). I'm not sure of the correct solution, but I think MTL winning will start these conversations.

No Montreal will not get a automatic berth... no team gets an automatic berth based on the previous years performance. It is purely based on Domestic Cup Performance. MLS, US Open Cup in the states. Canadian Championship in Canada, Liga MX in Mexico, etc. That won't change.

The Number of teams qualifying has much more to do with strength and number of clubs. Panama has two berths they don't do really well... but they have 5 teams.

Remember the Change to the Champions League was officially to have fewer games. The reality is it was to help American teams actually get to the Quarter Finals more often and stop the embarrassment of one team constantly being eliminated in the "preliminary round" CONCACAF like FIFA has long since stopped being about sport and is now about money.

Even with that, the odds of Two Canadian Berths where both Berths would likely go to MLS teams would not look good. MLS would then have 6 Teams in the Champions League to Mexico's One. Even though it is 2 Canadian and 4 American sides the optics to everyone else would look bad, I would guess.

So no without a Domestic Cup of at least 10 teams I can not see CONCACAF even considering a second Canadian berth. And No Montreal nor any Champions League winner gets an automatic berth into the Champions League. The Winner of the Champions League gets a berth in the Club World Cup which has 7 teams competing, with basically a cash prize for each team. $500,000 minimum. Every Team has to qualify every year. Just like any other league. The MLS Cup Winner isn't given an automatic berth into the MLS Playoffs.

Captain Cook
03-20-2015, 10:54 AM

Oh how I miss her :(

LeRocket
03-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Montréal supporter here, just wanted to say that back when you were in CCL semis, I was really hoping to see you getting destroyed by Santos Laguna. How can you cheer for us? We will make fun of you for the next 20 years if we get that trophy, at least few of you realized it (and that is why we wanted you (80% of us) to fail).

Liverpool and Everton lol you're comparing with what has become a plastic rivalry with nothing but money involved in.

I'd probably cheer for Vancouver tho.

Hope you miss the PO for another year.

Bye.

Jack
03-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Montréal supporter here, just wanted to say that back when you were in CCL semis, I was really hoping to see you getting destroyed by Santos Laguna. How can you cheer for us? We will make fun of you for the next 20 years if we get that trophy, at least few of you realized it (and that is why we wanted you (80% of us) to fail).

Liverpool and Everton lol you're comparing with what has become a plastic rivalry with nothing but money involved in.

I'd probably cheer for Vancouver tho.

Hope you miss the PO for another year.

Bye.

Oh, hello there. It's funny that you actually took the time to sign up just to post this little gem. This is about the same level of class as garbage bag banners and throwing seats at kids. Then again, we don't usually associate you clowns with anything resembling class.

Shouldn't you be rapping about signing Reo-Coker or something? Maybe he'll help you avoid finishing dead last in the entire league again. Adieu, mon ami.

Alonso
03-20-2015, 01:48 PM

Yes it did come up. Not to the same extent as this discussion but I definitely remember people questioning the support for RSL.

And yes I supported/cheered for RSL when they made their run.

Also, RSL supporters and MLS in general supported TFC when they made their runs deep into the tournament.

As Ogthedim mentioned earlier in the thread, an Impact supporter came on here to post that he supported TFC in the past during our run through CCL.

I guess I just don't understand the haters.

CanadaLFC
03-20-2015, 03:10 PM
I think the underlying issue in all this is a club vs country debate.

I've always been more of a club man, myself. Hence, I want Montreal to fail.

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM

ALL KINDS, man. Takes all kinds.

I am very country before club but Montreal isn't Canada it's a club in Canada. That's an important distinction for me.

hulkrogan
03-20-2015, 03:29 PM
I find this debate kind of funny, as I have different answers depending on the sport.

For hockey, no way. I am driven bonkers by people suggesting to cheer for "Canadian teams" when the Flames are out. I don't care if a Canadian team ever wins the cup again, unless it's the Flames (sorry Leafs fans... I'll see myself out shortly).

For soccer, it's totally different. The league is just coming into it's own, and growth of the game within Canada is something I really value. To have a Canadian team do well in the CCL holds a lot of value for me, even though I'll cheer against the Impact and Whitecaps in every league game they ever play. Anything that goes to growing the sport in Canada and giving us a chance at a WC berth one day, I'm in!

MartinUtd
03-20-2015, 03:37 PM
A bit harsh banning the Impact supporter. I found that candidness to be refreshing and it's not like there were any personal insults on there.

Not that this should be any surprise but many of us on here share the exact same sentiment, just with different colours.

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2015, 03:43 PM
A bit harsh banning the Impact supporter. I found that candidness to be refreshing and it's not like there were any personal insults on there.

Not that this should be any surprise but many of us on here share the exact same sentiment, just with different colours.

No surprise. I'd expect to be banned there immediately regardless my civility. It's trolling when you don't actually like the club on their supporters site.

It was refreshing he wasn't more disrespectful.

Jack
03-20-2015, 05:15 PM

Nope.

ag futbol
03-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Oh, hello there. It's funny that you actually took the time to sign up just to post this little gem. This is about the same level of class as garbage bag banners and throwing seats at kids. Then again, we don't usually associate you clowns with anything resembling class.

Shouldn't you be rapping about signing Reo-Coker or something? Maybe he'll help you avoid finishing dead last in the entire league again. Adieu, mon ami.
I though "LOL" scrawled on the side of a garbage bag was about as real football factory as you can get. Danny Dyer was going to come report on that shit but it was just too crazy.

On another note, there's a non-MLS fan who sits next to me in the office who noted NRC was quite impressive in ccl. I was shocked, to say the least.

Shway
03-20-2015, 08:10 PM
On another note, there's a non-MLS fan who sits next to me in the office who noted NRC was quite impressive in ccl. I was shocked, to say the least.

I have to question if he actually watches soccer. NRC is shit, and has been in both the games I've seen him play. I don't know why they play him over Bernie.

I can't wait till we play the Impact.

portu
03-21-2015, 12:12 AM

Country above all else, hence I want Montreal to fail.

ag futbol
03-21-2015, 09:45 AM
I have to question if he actually watches soccer. NRC is shit, and has been in both the games I've seen him play. I don't know why they play him over Bernie.

I can't wait till we play the Impact.
He's a very smart guy and once played semi pro in the Caribbean. I didn't see the game but I'm inclined to believe it's not stretching... But I'm surprised because I rarely saw him play a game in MLS where he was anything but average.

Bernie's wheels are done, but otherwise I do admire the guy. His first year in the league was sensational.

Shakes McQueen
03-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Just finished performing some major surgery on this thread, regarding a user's choice of language that was unfortunate, and spawned a lengthy argument that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Please bring things back on topic. Thanks in advance, folks.

themodelcitizen
03-23-2015, 03:11 AM
It would undoubtedly be better for the sport in Canada (exposure, casual interest etc) and for MLS to have Montreal win. This isn't like England where that's not an issue and it's all about club rivalry. Some people here are so desperate to mimic that and build a rivalry from scratch that they will cheer against the game's interests.

Jack
03-23-2015, 07:37 AM
It would undoubtedly be better for the sport in Canada (exposure, casual interest etc) and for MLS to have Montreal win. This isn't like England where that's not an issue and it's all about club rivalry. Some people here are so desperate to mimic that and build a rivalry from scratch that they will cheer against the game's interests.
I wouldn't call it desperation. I genuinely don't enjoy the thought of them winning and can't feel any support for them. I'm not trying to mimic anyone, that's just how I feel. There's plenty of history in terms of a rivalry between Montreal and Toronto for those of us who were born and raised in this city, so it's not really built from scratch.

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2015, 08:12 AM

I think its sad that some feel they need to compare it to other places at all. There is enough fuel in this thread alone to see where the rivalry comes from. I'm sorry that some people need a hundred year old bench mark to allow themselves to feel authentic. The comparisons aren't like for like and don't need to be.

TorontoGooner
03-23-2015, 11:13 AM
I think its sad that some feel they need to compare it to other places at all. There is enough fuel in this thread alone to see where the rivalry comes from. I'm sorry that some people need a hundred year old bench mark to allow themselves to feel authentic. The comparisons aren't like for like and don't need to be.

Fair point. But then why do we 'borrow' their chants, banners and supporter culture then?

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Fair point. But then why do we 'borrow' their chants, banners and supporter culture then?

I don't see us borrowing from one place in the world. I also see different places in the world borrowing from other cultures. Sure it's easier to use NA as an example but I think it's a waste of time measuring who did what when.

I challenge anyone to dream up something they perceive as what is truly, uniquely, Canadian about our support. I look forward to it and any other fun ways to support worldwide.

Ajax TFC
03-23-2015, 04:40 PM
It's fair game to say that the 'supporter culture' was mimicked from elsewhere, but it's laughable to suggest that the Toronto Montreal rivalry was manufactured in the last three/four seasons. The Toronto - Montreal rivalry is probably as old as any in sports. It's the continuation of the French - English rivalry that has existed here since European settlement of the country began.

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2015, 05:50 PM

The rivalry between our two teams is young, because one hasn't even existed for a decade, but the rivalry between Toronto and Montreal is not. There is nothing fake about it.

And the emotions are kind of the entire point of watching sports to begin with - not objectively stepping back and saying "what would be better to "grow the sport"?" You save that kind of stuff for when you're watching two teams you don't care about at all.

Lennon
03-23-2015, 08:47 PM
And the emotions are kind of the entire point of watching sports to begin with - not objectively stepping back and saying "what would be better to "grow the sport"?" You save that kind of stuff for when you're watching two teams you don't care about at all.

Nailed it.

Good to see more anti-Montreal people come out in this thread because I swear, in earlier rounds (here and on reddit) 90% of TFC fans were actively rooting for Montreal :facepalm:

OgtheDim
03-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Meh...life is too darn complex to expect people to all think the same.

Oldtimer
03-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Meh...life is too darn complex to expect people to all think the same.

Even the mod team doesn't all think the same about this. Let's face it, the only thing we all have in common is supporting TFC.

pdogg
03-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Let's face it, the only thing we all have in common is supporting TFC.

:scarf:

themodelcitizen
03-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Fair points in response to my post. I guess the constant roster changes in MLS make it easier for me to instinctively support Montreal in these situations - as in, when it's Oduro and that kid Porter fresh out of college against a bunch of random Central Americans, I'm more inclined to root for the guys I'm familiar with (save for maybe a couple Impact mainstays)

MartinUtd
03-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Can we move on to more pressing CONCACAF issues now?

I'd like to know if there's anything we as supporters of this tournament can do to change that cheesy music they play on every single highlight reel. I'd rather hear the commentary in Klingon or have Rock And Roll All Nite played over top. ANYTHING is better than that music.

Auzzy
03-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Can we move on to more pressing CONCACAF issues now?

I'd like to know if there's anything we as supporters of this tournament can do to change that cheesy music they play on every single highlight reel. I'd rather hear the commentary in Klingon or have Rock And Roll All Nite played over top. ANYTHING is better than that music.

Yeah those highlights are awful. And the pipe in fake crowd noise too, don't they?

Yohan
04-05-2015, 11:42 PM
CCL Semi final leg 2

Tues 7 Apr
Montreal at Alajuelense, 10pm
(Mtl leads 2-0 aggregate)

Wed 8 Apr
Herediano at Club America, 10pm
(Herediano leads 3-0 aggregate)

kodiakTFC
04-06-2015, 01:26 AM
I'm so conflicted with the MTL game now. I want success for Canada, I want the MTL market to get some buzz and my friend John Smits just got loaned to them for the game. However, as the Impact get deeper and deeper, I've realized.. I don't want them to win this before us. And, honestly, now that a Mexican team probably won't win it, I've fairly happy. Costa Rica is a team/country I don't particularly hate either as their tactics aren't Honduras or Panama-esq.

Fort York Redcoat
04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I'm so conflicted with the MTL game now. I want success for Canada, I want the MTL market to get some buzz and my friend John Smits just got loaned to them for the game. However, as the Impact get deeper and deeper, I've realized.. I don't want them to win this before us. And, honestly, now that a Mexican team probably won't win it, I've fairly happy. Costa Rica is a team/country I don't particularly hate either as their tactics aren't Honduras or Panama-esq.

You definitely make it hard on yourself.

Canada plays next against Dominica in World Cup qualification Round 2. I know you know this but I'm just mentioning for the simplification I actually subscribe to.

Canada plays in June.

This is just Montreal. Good opportunity for your friend, though.

kodiakTFC
04-06-2015, 10:36 AM
You definitely make it hard on yourself.

Canada plays next against Dominica in World Cup qualification Round 2. I know you know this but I'm just mentioning for the simplification I actually subscribe to.

Canada plays in June.

This is just Montreal. Good opportunity for your friend, though.

CMNT is and will always be my number one team. I'm there every game and usually with 10 or so friends I forced with me. I just see the connection between healthy/successful teams and a healthy/successful Canada. With that said I'm missing all the damn Canada games because I'm still here until July. Ugh. The worst.

Yohan
04-07-2015, 09:18 PM
http://firstrowca.eu/watch/336176/2/watch-liga-deportiva-alajuelense-vs-montreal-impact.html
ensure to get ad block for your browser

Early 1st half

notthesun
04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
god fucking dammit

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Away goal.

Alajuelense now needs 4.

Oldtimer
04-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Wow, 1-0 Impact.

Yohan
04-07-2015, 09:51 PM
lol. Oduro with assist on that JackMac goal

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 09:52 PM
lol. Oduro with assist on that JackMac goal

"I don't often pass, but when I do......."

Oldtimer
04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
"I don't often pass, but when I do......."

Lol good one.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/585637311498608641) Montreal scores. 0-1 (0-3) at half. Chance of red card now at 376%. #CCL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CCL?src=hash) #LDAvMTL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LDAvMTL?src=hash)

RealG-TFC
04-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/585637311498608641) Montreal scores. 0-1 (0-3) at half. Chance of red card now at 376%. #CCL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CCL?src=hash) #LDAvMTL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LDAvMTL?src=hash)

So true, shocking from both sides. The attempted stomp on Piatti and Soumare tugging that guy's hair stood out for me.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
That's so CONCACAF.

Lennon
04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
1-1 vamos la liga !

Initial B
04-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Yup, questionable call. One goal. It looks like the fix is in...

mowe
04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
The pressure on Montreal right now is immense.

Leedsoronto
04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Montreal pinned in their own half now, another goal is inevitable

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Ciman looks like his head is going to explode.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
There's the Montreal defence we've come to know and love.

Leedsoronto
04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Getting closer :@)

Initial B
04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
And here they come, 2-1...

Oldtimer
04-07-2015, 10:27 PM
There's the Montreal defence we've come to know and love.

Montreal will probably lose this game 4 or 5-1 and be out.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Really loud crowd that is into it.

Initial B
04-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Wow, I didn't think the ref would be that blatant in his calls. I don't even think he's trying to be unbiased at this point.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Yeah, its getting really bad. Sad thing is the home team doesn't need this.

Well maybe they do now. Comical defending there.

Leedsoronto
04-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Game over :@(

Initial B
04-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Oh man, that was a sweet goal. Even i have to appreciate that. A Montreal red card should be imminent now.

Initial B
04-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Is it just me, or are the fan-projectiles getting rather thick?

Argh, the commentators are starting to laud Montreal.

And then of course, Alu scores. :)

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Reo-Coker is just not thinking out there.

ensco
04-07-2015, 10:57 PM
What a crazy game.

Montreal are very likely to get another CR team in the final.

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Second game at the Big O on the 29th.

portu
04-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Fuck montreal I hope they get demolished in the final

Initial B
04-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I think I'll get tickets for it...

mowe
What a fucking game. TFC would have spontaneously combusted if they had to face that kind of adversity.

Leedsoronto
Wow down to the wire finish. Entertaining !!

flatpicker
04-07-2015, 11:03 PM
That was crazy

OgtheDim
04-07-2015, 11:03 PM
I want this sort of night back.

ensco
04-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Four goals against in the second half. Montreal are damn lucky.

Brought back bad memories of us allowing 4 and coughing up that fur ball in the second half at Santos Laguna in 2012.

ensco
04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Anybody have any idea where the Club World Cup is being played this year?

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/thrust.gif

Defoe
04-07-2015, 11:09 PM
that crowd sounded like 60 thousand not 18 ... crazy crazy atmosphere

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Anybody have any idea where the Club World Cup is being played this year?
was suppose to be Morocco but they withdrew due to ebola threat. no replacement decision made yet. I'm going to guess Japan

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:15 PM
if Herediano finishes America off, and they are up 3-0 on aggregate, Montreal hosts 2nd leg of the final. and Herediano is actually worse team than Alajuelense.

though America will come out with guns blazing, and they have some really good strikers in Peralta and Zuniga

Qman
04-07-2015, 11:16 PM
that crowd sounded like 60 thousand not 18 ... crazy crazy atmosphere

great little stadium. Steep stands, fans right on top of you ... pelting you with batteries, rocks and coins.

Montreal looked like they are running for the charter flight.

Qman
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
if Herediano finishes America off, and they are up 3-0 on aggregate, Montreal hosts 2nd leg of the final. and Herediano is actually worse team than Alajuelense.

though America will come out with guns blazing, and they have some really good strikers in Peralta and Zuniga

Azteca is as intimidating place as there is in world football if its full. No lead is safe.

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Azteca is as intimidating place as there is in world football if its full. No lead is safe.
if Herediano gets an early goal, this game will degenerate into a street fight, considering how dirty first leg was.
can't wait for tomorrow's game

Qman
04-07-2015, 11:26 PM
i believe its rotating back to japan yet again

Qman
04-07-2015, 11:27 PM
if Herediano gets an early goal, this game will degenerate into a street fight, considering how dirty first leg was.
can't wait for tomorrow's game

where is the game available? TV or streaming

Lennon
04-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Considering attending the final in the away section .. ugh fuck this. 4 goals and they don't advance.

notthesun
04-07-2015, 11:32 PM
I would be ok with TFC not getting a single point until after the 2nd leg of the final if it means Montreal loses.

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:36 PM
where is the game available? TV or streaming
fox sports 2. just find a stream

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:41 PM
impressive stuff
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sideline/news/article/2015/04/07/alajuelense-fans-provide-intimidating-welcome-ccl-semifinal-vs-montreal-impa

Yohan
04-07-2015, 11:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAM2cxO-hk

Oldtimer
04-08-2015, 05:15 AM
Didn't stay up, can't believe this morning that Montreal pulled through on away goals. That was an achievement, a teal test of the players, almost impossible to play in a situation like that.

OgtheDim
04-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Dominic Oduro ‏@Freakyfast8 (https://twitter.com/Freakyfast8) 6h6 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Freakyfast8/status/585665276944986112) So sad that in this generation some fans still make monkey noises when black players are playing the game. Shame to all #alajuelense (https://twitter.com/hashtag/alajuelense?src=hash) fans

ensco
04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Dominic Oduro ‏@Freakyfast8 (https://twitter.com/Freakyfast8) 6h6 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Freakyfast8/status/585665276944986112) So sad that in this generation some fans still make monkey noises when black players are playing the game. Shame to all #alajuelense (https://twitter.com/hashtag/alajuelense?src=hash) fans

Maybe the race issue, and CR making it to the final it in the WC, can make FIFA and Concacaf finally do something about what goes on in Central America.

The racism, throwing of objects, the general intimidation via harassing visiting teams buses and hotels down there ... would all change in a hurry if it cost their teams in WC qualifying.

GabrielHurl
04-08-2015, 07:33 AM
The racism, throwing of objects, the general intimidation via harassing visiting teams buses and hotels down there ... would all change in a hurry if it cost their teams in WC qualifying.

Yeah right - the same thing happens in Europe all the time - and rarely anything happens. Hell, look where the next World Cup is being held

kodiakTFC
04-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Maybe the race issue, and CR making it to the final it in the WC, can make FIFA and Concacaf finally do something about what goes on in Central America.

This is the same organization that has put the next two world cups in countries with massive human rights issues. So trust me when I say nothing will happen.

WestStandGeoff
04-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Yeah right - the same thing happens in Europe all the time - and rarely anything happens. Hell, look where the next World Cup is being held

I'd hardly say the "same thing"... did you see the replay where a coin literally bounced off back of the Montreal keeper's head? Or the fact the linesmen were edging towards the pitch because of the amount of crap being thrown? That amount of crap ending up on the pitch would result in at least fines in Europe, possibly stadium bans. I'll be surprised if CONCACAF even issue a statement about it.

ensco
04-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Honduras, Panama, CR, El Salvador are not Russia. They can't buy the kind of influence Russia has, and if their behaviour gives FIFA a black eye, they will be road kill.

Question is what will ultimately give FIFA a black eye? Because it's coming, one of these days....

There is a big and growing bus attack problem that is probably FIFA's biggest worry right now. It happened to America in the first leg of the other semifinal, there was the Fenerbahce incident last week.

Areathrasher
04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
I'd hardly say the "same thing"... did you see the replay where a coin literally bounced off back of the Montreal keeper's head? Or the fact the linesmen were edging towards the pitch because of the amount of crap being thrown? That amount of crap ending up on the pitch would result in at least fines in Europe, possibly stadium bans. I'll be surprised if CONCACAF even issue a statement about it.

You miss the Russian keeper getting hit on the head with a flare qualifying last week?

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/03/28/1227282/823595-eadd066e-d520-11e4-915f-fd70bc6357a8.jpg

OgtheDim
04-08-2015, 08:41 AM
And they stopped that game and will likely give Macedonia a huge fine and force home games behind doors.

Coin given to a CONCACAF official and nothing done last night.

Areathrasher
04-08-2015, 08:44 AM
It hasn't been 24hrs since the game finished.

And CONCACAF laid out all sorts of bans and fines after the America Herandino first leg, so don't completely write off any sanctions just yet.

Prof
04-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Didn't stay up, can't believe this morning that Montreal pulled through on away goals. That was an achievement, a teal test of the players, almost impossible to play in a situation like that.

I did stay up to watch the game. It was very scary, as the Costa Ricans were always threatening to score but timely counter attacking goals by Montreal gave them relief until the next wave came. Great result for Montreal and MLS. Even Oduro looks good. Great cross for opening goal for Montreal.

gmacpheetfc
04-08-2015, 09:05 AM
If America go through I think I would go down to Mexico city, Champions League Final at Azteca I think that is as good as it gets for the region.

mr k
04-08-2015, 03:14 PM
fox sports 2. just find a stream

On Sportsnet World in our native land.

Defoe
04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Montreal has already sold 15 k for the 2nd leg at the the big O. Damn... If this wasn't a Wednesday - I would be making the drive down.

Yohan
04-08-2015, 08:17 PM
IMFC reporting 20k sold for final already. They are going to sell out in the Big O

Supporting
04-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Only get rid of this first two. intimidation is good...

Yohan
04-08-2015, 09:11 PM
http://firstrowca.eu/watch/336441/2/watch-club-america-mexico-vs-club-sport-herediano.html

make sure to use a good ad blocker

Yohan
04-08-2015, 09:17 PM
9 mins in and 2-0 America (3-2 Herediano on aggregate)

turning into quite a massacre at Azteca

Smokecell
04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
/montreal's chances of winning this thing

Richard
04-08-2015, 09:19 PM
IMFC reporting 20k sold for final already. They are going to sell out in the Big O

Yeah they better sell it out.

9 mins in and 2-0 America (3-2 Herediano on aggregate)

turning into quite a massacre at Azteca

/montreal's chances of winning this thing

No one survives at Azteca. That place has a 100,000+ seating capacity, the final is going to be nuts.

I want to visit that stadium at some point in my life.

Richard
04-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Game over

jazzy
04-08-2015, 09:27 PM
I think I'll get tickets for it...

Yeah really...... Would be fun to see, the opponents will be good . And no matter what I'd enjoy some good soccer, for a change. I wish that wasn't the case but......

Richard
04-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Jesus 4-0.

A hat trick 25 min into the game. WOW.

And now a red....

werewolf
04-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Carlos Darwin Quintero, TFC Legend.

werewolf
04-08-2015, 09:36 PM
I went to America vs. Cruz Azul last weekend, America were selling tickets for this match for less than $5, I knew the club was going to make a push to make a late run to the Club World Cup.

Richard
04-08-2015, 09:39 PM
5-0.

4 goals for Benedetto

ensco
04-08-2015, 09:40 PM
The manita!

Yohan
04-08-2015, 09:44 PM
pure murder out there. Montreal will need all the help to survive Azteca

OgtheDim
04-08-2015, 09:45 PM
At least they go to Azteca in the first game.

Yohan
04-08-2015, 09:52 PM
At least they go to Azteca in the first game.
considering how America ripped apart Herediano, and how poor Mtl looked against Alajuelense defensively, plus at Azteca, I just hope the score is close enough that 2nd leg actually matters, not just a formality

Alonso
04-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Just tuned in... and its all but over already!

Alonso
04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Montreal better park the bus at Azteca and hope for at least three for the home leg... yikes!

OgtheDim
04-08-2015, 09:58 PM
CCL is so bonkers, a 5-2 loss at Azteca would probably still leave Montreal with a chance. But, yeah, they are going to get killed in that atmosphere.

werewolf
04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
http://www.solodeportes.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/darwin-quintero.jpg

Yohan
04-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Columbus - Vancouver game is so much more entertaining

Defoe
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
76,000 thousand holy fuck!

Lennon
04-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Hoping America destroys Montreal 7-0 in in the first leg and the sold out big O is half empty g:D

werewolf
04-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Hoping America destroys Montreal 7-0 in in the first leg and the sold out big O is half empty g:D

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Mexico/21/84/darwin-quintero-jugador-de-la-semana-j1_113kfme73gtif170msw5j20b7a.jpg?t=-623060646&w=940

kodiakTFC
04-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Well I've enjoyed Montreal's run but this will be a disaster. You'll get 60,000 in Montreal and probably 80,000 in Mexico making it easily the highest attended CCL final ever. However, I agree with the above post, this thing will be a formality by the second leg and Montreal will have 60,000 people show up to watch a trophy be handed over. Best case scenario Montreal loses 2-0 in Mexico but I can't see them not letting a goal in at home, so now we're talking 4 home goals. Nice try Montreal!