PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Friday, Feb.20

denime
02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV. (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

TFC II defeats USF in preseason exhibition (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/02/tfc-ii-defeats-usf-preseason-exhibition)

TFC looks to make most of analytics department (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-looks-make-analytics-department/)

Canada to play games vs Guatemala, Puerto Rico (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-play-friendlies-vs-guatemala-puerto-rico/)

TFC/MLS related blogs (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Petor
02-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Argos owner hoping to get BMO Field deal done by summer
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/02/19/argos-owner-hoping-to-get-bmo-field-deal-done-by-summer.html#

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Argos owner hoping to get BMO Field deal done by summer

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/02/19/argos-owner-hoping-to-get-bmo-field-deal-done-by-summer.html#

Good for hope. I hope that Canada is ranked top 25 by the time we face Guatemala March 27th. :jester:

Parkdale
02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Does "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" not mean anything to MLSE? Do they not realize that bringing the Argos in would negate that statement entirely?

zamperina
02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
The Argos are a lame duck Franchise so even if they move to BMO I believe their attendance growth will be minimal at best. After maybe 5 years of replacing the Hybrid turf yearly they will be forced to move out as there involvement at playing at BMO won't be profitable to MLSE.

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
The Argos are a lame duck Franchise so even if they move to BMO I believe their attendance growth will be minimal at best. After maybe 5 years of replacing the Hybrid turf yearly they will be forced to move out as there involvement at playing at BMO won't be profitable to MLSE.

Their attendance would be more consistent and have more of a demand. This model has been re-invigorating in Montreal. The Argos and their fans should be excited about this possibility. That said, talks shouldn't have got this far in considering changing BMO field into a multi use stadium. It's a betrayal.

bones
02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Does "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" not mean anything to MLSE? Do they not realize that bringing the Argos in would negate that statement entirely?

I don't think ML$E understand the ramifications of replacing the grass and bringing in CFL to support. It won't remove the bulk of the "fans" but it will kill the hearts of the supporters. So what happens in Toronto to sports teams on the bubble with only Fans in overpriced seats that don't make the playoffs??? Larry are you listening??? THIS IS NOT THE EFFING LEAFS. I'm so sick of the maximizing $$$ sh!t here.

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't think ML$E understand the ramifications of replacing the grass and bringing in CFL to support. It won't remove the bulk of the "fans" but it will kill the hearts of the supporters. So what happens in Toronto to sports teams on the bubble with only Fans in overpriced seats that don't make the playoffs??? Larry are you listening??? THIS IS NOT THE EFFING LEAFS. I'm so sick of the maximizing $$$ sh!t here.

This is (mostly) the message that will need to be sent. As far as I'm concerned by changing the use of the stadium they say they prefer the atmosphere that brand of stadium brings.

Petor
02-20-2015, 10:23 AM
If the Argos move in I'll take a wait and see attitude.

If there are paint lines, the pitch is torn up or replaced with plastic I have no problems with giving up my season seats.

There is a nice new soccer specific stadium where TFC2 plays, I have no problems buying TFC2 season tickets.

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2015, 10:27 AM

If there are paint lines, the pitch is torn up or replaced with plastic I have no problems with giving up my season seats.

There is a nice new soccer specific stadium where TFC2 plays, I have no problems buying TFC2 season tickets.

Vaughan is far. I'd just watch the Accies at Downsview.

Petor
02-20-2015, 10:35 AM

Well, I live in the west end of Toronto about the same travelling distance between the Academy and TFC2 and I don't mind going to either.
BMO is the easiest transport option but I'd rather watch a team that plays on a proper pitch.

bones
02-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Or maybe ML$E needs some competition in the city. A nice NASL team in Downtown could be nice too. Public owned, try to buy Lamport and convert it to a 10-12k quaint proper pitch, $5 beers.... oh god, I have to stop dreaming.

but I am working on that stadium design just for shits and giggles.

Wagner
02-20-2015, 10:52 AM
you can write your councillors about the BMO field stuff.

call and email your ticket reps too.

let them know you won't renew if there are lines on the pitch.

or if the pitch is ruined by pointy-ball.

Petor
02-20-2015, 10:55 AM
you can write your councillors about the BMO field stuff.

call and email your ticket reps too.

let them know you won't renew if there are lines on the pitch.

or if the pitch is ruined by pointy-ball.

Here is the list of current councillors with contact information...

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=c3a83293dc3ef310VgnVCM100000 71d60f89RCRD

WestStandGeoff
02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Well, I live in the west end of Toronto about the same travelling distance between the Academy and TFC2 and I don't mind going to either.
BMO is the easiest transport option but I'd rather watch a team that plays on a proper pitch.

Sure, if you have a car then driving out from the city it's a negligible difference going to either Downsview or Vaughan.

But Downsview has the subway station right there, so it's still way more accessible for a lot more fans.

Shway
02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Right? I'm still pissed they didn't plan to play TFCII games at Downsview.

Petor
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Sure, if you have a car then driving out from the city it's a negligible difference going to either Downsview or Vaughan.

But Downsview has the subway station right there, so it's still way more accessible for a lot more fans.

I don't have a car and take public transportation.
To get to the TF2 field from Kipling station you can take the 191(Highway 27 Rocket) or the 46(Martin Grove) bus to Martin Grove and Steeles.
From there it's about a 20 minute walk to the stadium or you can take the York Transit #7 bus to the front door.

Either way it takes me about an hour to Downsview or TF2.

CretanBull
02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

New chant: "This WAS our house"

ManUtd4ever
02-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I'd prefer the Argos stay out, but since it seems more probable than ever before that we will be facing a ground sharing scenario, I can live with it if the integrity of the pitch is maintained. Easier said than done though.

FRANKIE65
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM

My thoughts, exactly.

Coming from Woodstock, just as easy to go to Vaughan.

The white yard lines would kill it for me.

Petor
02-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I'd prefer the Argos stay out, but since it seems more probable than ever before that we will be facing a ground sharing scenario, I can live with it if the integrity of the pitch is maintained. Easier said than done though.

Wembley spends a lot more money on their pitch than TFC does.

If Wembley can't handle it what makes anyone think that TFC can?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2835957/England-Slovenia-forced-play-pitch-bearing-NFL-markings-Wembley-home-football.html

Redcoe15
02-20-2015, 12:35 PM

"THIS IS OUR HOUSE" is what Argo fans will be saying once they move into BMO Field, while they demand to us TFC supporters to move down into the basement.

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2015, 12:36 PM

Oh it's loaded and ready.

Petor
02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Found an old thread from 6 1/2 yeas ago.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?4369-Supporter-s-thoughts-on-the-BMO-NSS-Argos-situation-video

Gazza_55
02-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Their attendance would be more consistent and have more of a demand. This model has been re-invigorating in Montreal. The Argos and their fans should be excited about this possibility. That said, talks shouldn't have got this far in considering changing BMO field into a multi use stadium. It's a betrayal.

Short term yes. Not doing so well since they added seats to move to 25k capacity.

Huyton
02-20-2015, 03:35 PM
With apologies to Pink Floyd...

We don't want no double blue here
We don't need no CFL
No dark lines painted on our grass pitch
Bogers leave our field alone
Hey Bogers leave our field alone
This is our house and we’ll (pause) be Red till we die
This is our house and we’ll (pause) bleed Red till we die

Petor
02-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Short term yes. Not doing so well since they added seats to move to 25k capacity.

Yes! Found that out last year talking to the locals in Montreal last August long weekend.
They said it was fine until the renovations.
They liked everything about the renovations except adding the new seats which they have a hard time filling now and on top of that the new seats blocked the great view of downtown.

On a side note the Als moved to a universities CFL style football field not to a soccer stadium.

Cashcleaner
02-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Their attendance would be more consistent and have more of a demand. This model has been re-invigorating in Montreal. The Argos and their fans should be excited about this possibility. That said, talks shouldn't have got this far in considering changing BMO field into a multi-use stadium. It's a betrayal.

Yep. For years now the Argonauts fans in the city have been rubbing their hands and drooling at the mouth to get into BMO Field - pretty much because of those key points you mentioned above. BMO Field is, unfortunately, as close to a perfect venue for a CFL team as one could hope for. I've never been a hater of the Argonauts and used to be a big fan myself, and I don't oppose the fundamental concept of ground-sharing outright. But in the case of BMO Field, I know TFC would lose out the most out of the two clubs, and that's why I oppose it. We would be compromising the integrity of our pitch, our seating, and our influence as primary tenants in the facility just so an outside organization can get a better deal for their lease.

But with everything said and done, I'm not surprised in the least with the latest news. I can't even call it a betrayal because it was so obvious in the making. Myself and a few others have been saying for years now that MLSE would jump at the chance to bring in another tenant to BMO Field - either with a team they owned or one who paid them a few for use of the facilities. This comes as no shock in the slightest.

Alonso
02-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Wembley spends a lot more money on their pitch than TFC does.

If Wembley can't handle it what makes anyone think that TFC can?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2835957/England-Slovenia-forced-play-pitch-bearing-NFL-markings-Wembley-home-football.html

This ^^ and the Houston Dynamo pitch problems last year convince me that they are blowing smoke up our asses when they say we won't even notice and that the pitch damage will be minimal.

Surely the owners of Wembley would move hell and high water to make sure the pitch was respectable AND THEY COULDN'T DO IT.

Eastend
02-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Is it in phase 2 that they change the seats to blue?

This is very sad. I never disliked the Argos until this started to happen. Now I hate them. Juvenile I know but it is what it is.

Dom

Fort York Redcoat
02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Yep. For years now the Argonauts fans in the city have been rubbing their hands and drooling at the mouth to get into BMO Field - pretty much because of those key points you mentioned above. BMO Field is, unfortunately, as close to a perfect venue for a CFL team as one could hope for. I've never been a hater of the Argonauts and used to be a big fan myself, and I don't oppose the fundamental concept of ground-sharing outright. But in the case of BMO Field, I know TFC would lose out the most out of the two clubs, and that's why I oppose it. We would be compromising the integrity of our pitch, our seating, and our influence as primary tenants in the facility just so an outside organization can get a better deal for their lease.

But with everything said and done, I'm not surprised in the least with the latest news. I can't even call it a betrayal because it was so obvious in the making. Myself and a few others have been saying for years now that MLSE would jump at the chance to bring in another tenant to BMO Field - either with a team they owned or one who paid them a few for use of the facilities. This comes as no shock in the slightest.

Cash this will be a principle for many. What was called the National Soccer Stadium was intended for one use. The rest that happened may have been predictable but it doesn't change it becoming a betrayal. One can see a betrayal coming and it doesn't change the definition. How we all react to it may be different but I'm calling it what it is.

I've seen elsewhere "Everyone should've seen this coming..." it doesn't diminish how wrong it is. If people want to accept it happening and manage their disappointment, that's fine, but its something I'm not going to be able to just get over and pretend business as usual. I'm glad we have games to distract from this "sword of damocles" but summer couldn't pass soon enough for me regarding this decision.

Fort York Redcoat
02-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Is it in phase 2 that they change the seats to blue?

This is very sad. I never disliked the Argos until this started to happen. Now I hate them. Juvenile I know but it is what it is.

Dom

Phase 3 is when they have to decide about the South end. Whether they build with retractable seating and a different roof. I assume they are putting this decision off for as long as they can for leverage in talks this summer.

Cashcleaner
02-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Cash this will be a principle for many. What was called the National Soccer Stadium was intended for one use. The rest that happened may have been predictable but it doesn't change it becoming a betrayal. One can see a betrayal coming and it doesn't change the definition. How we all react to it may be different but I'm calling it what it is.

I've seen elsewhere "Everyone should've seen this coming..." it doesn't diminish how wrong it is. If people want to accept it happening and manage their disappointment, that's fine, but its something I'm not going to be able to just get over and pretend business as usual. I'm glad we have games to distract from this "sword of damocles" but summer couldn't pass soon enough for me regarding this decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxFrgql5dc

Fort York Redcoat
02-21-2015, 01:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxFrgql5dc

I enjoyed that so very much. I'm gonna go rewatch it on Netflix now.

"Sudden but Inevitable betrayal."

Brilliant, Cash. Love it.:cheers:

Cashcleaner
02-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Definitely one of my top ten sci-fi flicks. :cool: