PDA

View Full Version : Best off-season?

jloome
02-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Who thinks we had the best off-season?

I have to admit, Columbus has really given us a run for it; they're going to be devastating offensively if Findley, Higuain, Kamara and Cedric all stay healthy.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
On paper looks awesome, gotta wait to see whether it comes together

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2015, 05:10 PM
For me biggest questions are defense and Vanney

Areathrasher
02-07-2015, 05:10 PM
We always win the offseason :lol:

I like Chicago's DP signings, don't think Yallop will get the best out of them though.

kshep
02-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Yeah, c - bus did real well this off season.

Orlando might have won the closed season, for an expansion team they have put together a pretty good squad. I like the mix of players they've brought in. They retained their stalwart USL PRO players from last year, had a decent MLS expansion draft, signed some quality DPs and filled out the rest of their roster with other decent internationals. Much better than most expansion teams, I honestly expect them to be right in the hunt for the playoffs.

kshep
02-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Agreed but at this point only time will tell. If Vanney had been able to turn the season around last year by winning even half the games he skippered I suspect a lot of people wouldn't be nearly as questionable about him running the show.

Just have to hope we rolled a 20 with Vanney and he's a critical hit, rather than a 1 that sees us skewered in another trap.

ensco
02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
You can never tell because the South American moves are impossible to evaluate in advance.

Defoe
02-07-2015, 05:22 PM

Yep.

Can Perquis stay healthy?
Can Caldwell have a good season?
Can we find a RB or get any type of production from this position?
Morrow will be good as usual.

We replaced our DP's Defoe and Gilberto and from a marketing perspective Giovinco will be better then Defoe. Hopefully on the pitch as well but Defoe was very good in the start when he was motivated. Cheyrou was a great signing. I can't really comment on Zavaletta, Findley or Delgado, there depth guys. We're better, but IMO teams that have played together will still have the obvious advantage. I predict we are a better team but 4th-6th place seems to be a more realistic prediction considering injuries and players leaving for the Gold Cup. Lets hope Bradley isn't as fatigued this year.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2015, 05:25 PM
You can never tell because the South American moves are impossible to evaluate in advance.

id argue this is the case for most if not all players from outside the league coming in

Marc"2L"
02-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Unless there's a strike, then it becomes the longest and that's not as awesome.

kshep
02-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Unless there's a strike, then it becomes the longest and that's not as awesome.

If there's a strike or lockout I half expect all the non north American players to declare their contracts null and void.

The players and league would be crazy to strike/lockout, would pretty much be the death blow for the league I suspect.

jloome
02-07-2015, 05:49 PM
If there's a strike or lockout I half expect all the non north American players to declare their contracts null and void.

The players and league would be crazy to strike/lockout, would pretty much be the death blow for the league I suspect.

Maybe. I expect a more cutthroat variety with more international money involved would take its place. These franchises aren't soaring in value due solely to cost constraint.

kshep
02-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Maybe. I expect a more cutthroat variety with more international money involved would take its place. These franchises aren't soaring in value due solely to cost constraint.

True, will also depend on whether MLS franchise valuations are real or more ponzi scheme type numbers.

If MLS was to die, many of the current franchise owners wouldn't be back though, would probably lose more than 1/2 the league, or at least all the teams that don't own/control their own venues and I suspect even some of those wouldn't be game to be in a free dealing league, without the safety net of some type of wage cap. After all its not like all the big markets are dying to join up with the current NASL, and they don't have a cap.