PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Game in HD, Beckham

johnmolinaro
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Just thought I would let you know Thursday's all-star game will be shown in HD.

Also, had a chance to meet Becks this afternoon:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/23/david-beckham.html

Believe me, I resisted every urge I had not to say something smart-alecky to him...

John

The Pope
07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
why are you guys showing a meaningless friendly match in HD but we've been begging for HD for league matches and we get nothing?

CBC is run by nitwits

flatpicker
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Asked what he would change about MLS if made commissioner for a day, Beckham said he would sync the league's schedule with FIFA's international calendar. That way, international stars — himself included — wouldn't have to miss MLS games due to national team commitments.
"Obviously, that's an issue," admitted Beckham. "It's tough for MLS teams when they lose their international players. Hopefully that will change one day."

so this would have North American teams playing in the dead of winter?
not sure that would work too well...

Kevvv
Give it a rest. The ASG will probably draw better than TFC on TV does, so they're justified in using HD.

flatpicker
why are you guys showing a meaningless friendly match in HD but we've been begging for HD for league matches and we get nothing?

CBC is run by nitwits

it's business Pope... obviously this game is going to get far more viewership than a regular TFC match.

noochie
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up John. Let us know if the CBC is passing a collection plate around for a shiny new HDCAM. I may throw in a buck or two on top of the .X% of tax dollars that I probably already contribute to it. ;)

Seriously though, I could understand if the HD channel was showing completely different content at the time of the game featuring on the SD channel... but it isn't. The SD feed is thrown onto the HD channel. I just think it is sad that HDNet flies there stuff in here from whereever and shows up Canadian broadcasters who can't roll down a truck from Front Street or the Teddy Palace.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant, I know you have no control over it either ;) Your posts are appreciated.

Kevvv
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM

Playing at BMO in January would end the debate about real grass.

Shaughno
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Who cares what it draws (well CBC obviously) but they are supposed to be TFC partners not MLS.

Show OUR fucking games in HD, the only reason this is being shown in HD is Beckham.

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
what's that thing you were wearing?

it's called a sarong.

yes.. it's so-wrong innit? booyakasha!

flatpicker
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM

got that right...

unless all the cold climate stadiums converted themselves into fully enclosed structures with glass tops so they could act like greenhouses throughout the winter!

mmmmm.... yup... that could work!

:)

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
FYI, there have been HD camera set up at BMO in the past (I sit next to them)
but if it's not for domestic broadcast (CBC) then it means nothing to us.

I think both Villa and Benfica has HD last year.

OneLoveOneEric
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't think syncing with FIFA means playing in winter guys. He means have the weekend off when international games are being played, like every other league does, which is a good idea.

flatpicker
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't think syncing with FIFA means playing in winter guys. He means have the weekend off when international games are being played, like every other league does, which is a good idea.

^ oh, way to go and bring common sense into this! :mad:

:)

noochie
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
FYI, there have been HD camera set up at BMO in the past (I sit next to them)
but if it's not for domestic broadcast (CBC) then it means nothing to us.

I think both Villa and Benfica has HD last year.

Yeah Parky, but that also means the truck is parked outside gate 4. The CBC could unplug their feed from their own truck and plug 'er into the kind visitors truck... for a nominal fee of course ;)

Anyone else notice that on Sportsnet Connected the presser was in HD? Cmon... how hard is this really?

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I think the game yesterday was showed in HD. Can anyone confirm that?

The Pope
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM

you mean the tape delayed, 12 midnight version?

CBC was showing re-runs of god knows what while our boys were playing live

DOMIN8R
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks John M. As always, I appreciate your input on the board. I suspect most others do as well. They're just too angry about the state of TFC affairs these days to say it!

I think that the ASG in HD will raise MLS profile in CDN and by association - TFCs as well. Thanks CBC!

colman1860
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
tbh, I dont see why people hate beckham. Hes not a cocky star, in fact he seems like a good guy in every interview ive ever seen of him. Obviously i dont wish him well when he plays against TFC, but why the hate? And no answers like "cuz hes a fucking spice boy". serious reasons.

noochie
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I hate him because he is so pretty.

OneLoveOneEric
07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
^^^I'm not sure why I'm bothering here, but as a life long United supporter, I have seen Beckham since he first arrived on the scene. It's always been really difficult for me to reconcile the 2 sides of him. On the one hand, you have the ponce in the sarong doing cologne ads. On the other, you have an absolutely dedicated professional, who lives and dies for his team and country, and is virtually universally respected by anyone he has ever played with or been coached by. Apparently he's a tireless trainer, a quiet guy in the locker room, and never looking for anything special. Look at when he was benched by Capello at Madrid -- he didn't throw any fits, he didn't run away from the team. He put his head down, busted his ass, got back in to the team, and was instrumental in Madrid winning the league.
I love the guy. Just which he'd stop the poncing :)

Pachuco
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Seriously, the excuse from CBC before was "The only truck we have is covering the NHL playoffs" the playoffs are long gone and our games are still not shown in HD. I'm curious, what's the excuse now? For christ sakes I bought my first HDTV 4 years ago and I'm still putting up with this shit from CBC.

The Pope
07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Seriously, the excuse from CBC before was "The only truck we have is covering the NHL playoffs" the playoffs are long gone and our games are still not shown in HD. I'm curious, what's the excuse now?

thats i'm saying dammit!

For christ sakes I bought my first HDTV 4 years ago and I'm still putting up with this shit from CBC.

jeezus, whow much did they cost back then? :eek:

NateDoGG
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
just so u guys know fbtz.com will be releasing this in espn hd and cbc hd versions

Marc"2L"
07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
The pirates strike again!

Thanks.

Wooster_TFC
07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Seriously, the excuse from CBC before was "The only truck we have is covering the NHL playoffs" the playoffs are long gone and our games are still not shown in HD. I'm curious, what's the excuse now? For christ sakes I bought my first HDTV 4 years ago and I'm still putting up with this shit from CBC.

The San Jose game wasn't in HD because CBC had the Jays game the next day in HD, down south somewhere.

Still stupid...

Northern Soul
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
While I appreciate the All-Star game being in HD, it would be nice to see some of TFC's matches in HD as well. I find it hard to believe that no HD cameras have been available for ANY matches this year. I mean, CBC even lost CFL broadcast rights. Are they too busy using HD for figure skating?

Boondaddy
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM

LOL...CBC "try" to cover hockey in HD but they're always fuckin it up....either no sound or fuzziness or the clock just disappears for no reason or score is incorrect for half the game or it keeps cutting to 4:3 ratio.....

what a joke.

Boondaddy
07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
CBC should just pack it in altogether and leave broadcasting to the grown-ups.

ExiledRed
07-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Give it a rest,

There is no way games would be held in January anyway. BMO would be a hazard.

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I hate opposing players. Becks is one. Seems a nice bloke but I don't care much about his fashion just football. As for the FIFA calendar Russia, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway get by. don't see why we shouldn't try.

sidvan
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I hate to say it but, why are the Impact games shown on the CBC french channel in HD?

Rawkus_420
07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
My friend was in New York and she met Becks in an elevator, he just walked in, she was doing some shopping there, he was there for game last weekend. She said hes the nicest guy, her brother asked if they couldget their picture with him he was like sure and grabbed them both. he offered to carry their luggage to their room for them....she said he is alot scrawnier then she imagined.

ps fuck landy cakes

Nerepis
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
My friend was in New York and she met Becks in an elevator, ...
ps fuck landy cakes

He just walks into an elevator, New York , yet The Galaxy flies in a private jet for "security" reasons.:rolleyes:

tempo
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Yes, the Toronto - Montreal game aired in HD on CBCHD at midnight. This was proper HD as well and not their SD widescreen coverage that I have seen before (most of U20 last year). I believe RDS did the first Toronto/Montreal game earlier this year with the SD widescreen as well, but their story pieces were in proper HD. Seems like CBC dishes out 3 grades to their HD channel - Proper HD, SD Widescreen upconvert (which is ok), and then 4x3 SD (which I hate.)

mednus
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
The San Jose game wasn't in HD because CBC had the Jays game the next day in HD, down south somewhere.

Still stupid...

HD-Net had this game in the USA! but because CBC has TFC rights it is the only HD-Net game NOT being shown on HD-Net in Canada this year!

Thanks CBC this was just brutal my Dad in Florida watched this Game in HD but I had to suffer through SD!!!!

tempo
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I love HD, but people should keep in mind that HDNet is not the greatest channel. Production quality (asides from an HD picture) and producing generally sucks with HDNet programs. CBC does a way better job when they do it right and I look forward to getting even more HD TFC broadcast from CBC, which I believe in time will happen.