PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Mexico April

kshep
02-07-2015, 03:33 PM
With this friendly being played on a non fifa date and with the gold cup in the summer, does anyone think that the club will block Altidore and Bradley from playing? Word is this friendly will almost exclusively feature MLS players.

With most of the yanks generally referring to this friendly as the annual cash grab I wonder what the club will do, why allow 2 of our DPs to risk potential injury on a non fifa date?

I suspect the club will likely release both players (as to keep them happy) but yikes god forbid if one or both of then suffer an injury against a bitter rival, these USA vs Mexico games tend not to be overly friendly at the best of times.

I for one hope that both Jozy and Mike decline, or that the club decides that this is not in our best interests, especially since we already lose them both for a month for gold cup. While we have a buy the week before the friendly, we play Dallas away 3 days later. I would rather not see our players needlessly fatigued in this fashion, especially Bradley who plays the work horse role for both club and country.

Thoughts? Opinions?

OgtheDim
02-07-2015, 03:38 PM
We have no games between 4 April and April 18th and only 3 games in April.

My issue isn't a friendly/cash grab vs. Mexico.

My issue is Klinsmann is overtraining those dudes.

TFC07
02-07-2015, 03:42 PM
I am starting to see why German FA fired Klinsmann.

Anyway, Jozy and Bradley would go if they want to go. TFC isn't going to stop them if they wanted to.

kshep
02-07-2015, 03:44 PM
We have no games between 4 April and April 18th and only 3 games in April.

My issue isn't a friendly/cash grab vs. Mexico.

My issue is Klinsmann is overtraining those dudes.

Understandable and agreed, Mexico/USA games can get pretty chippy though. Would be a massive blow to our year if either player was to suffer a significant injury, especially since we aren't obligated to release them to play. Just thinking about what ifs?

kshep
02-07-2015, 03:46 PM
I am starting to see why German FA fired Klinsmann.

Anyway, Jozy and Bradley would go if they want to go. TFC isn't going to stop them if they wanted to.

I know Bradley skipped at least one friendly last season in order to play for TFC, I guess I'm just kinda hoping that Mike and jozy decide that they don't need to be at this one, since they know they'll be leaving for a month later in the year.

Defoe
02-07-2015, 04:06 PM
I know Bradley skipped at least one friendly last season in order to play for TFC, I guess I'm just kinda hoping that Mike and jozy decide that they don't need to be at this one, since they know they'll be leaving for a month later in the year.

If they were to get hurt playing for U.S.A would TFC still have to pay those insane salaries?

Fort York Redcoat
02-07-2015, 04:23 PM
If they were to get hurt playing for U.S.A would TFC still have to pay those insane salaries?

Yes. It isn't play to pay.

kshep
02-07-2015, 04:24 PM

Tbh I have no idea but probably since they are under contract with MLS, TFC would then probably seek compensation from the USSF though. That's why playing international friendlies on non sanctioned days is at least for me scary. Could potentially ruin our entire season and there's squat we could do about it, except not releasing the players.

Would be interesting to see if TFC would have to pay salary for a player injured on a non sanctioned fifa match day, sanctioned fifa days I can live with, because if they get hurt them the breaks can't prevent them from not playing. But if euro clubs will prevent the release of Canadian players to play in a sanctioned U20 world cup then I can't see how we can't prevent our boys playing in this friendly if the club chooses do do so.

arsenal
02-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Sure there is some insurance in place via the US team that would cover the salary but the big problem is no cap relief to replace them during the season.

kshep
02-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Sure there is some insurance in place via the US team that would cover the salary but the big problem is no cap relief to replace them during the season.

Which I hadn't even thought of, MLS needs to institute some type of injured reserve distinction for players out with injury greater than 6 months. Your cap should not take a hit for a player who is physically unable to play, it's madness I tell you.

Defoe
02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Which I hadn't even thought of, MLS needs to institute some type of injured reserve distinction for players out with injury greater than 6 months. Your cap should not take a hit for a player who is physically unable to play, it's madness I tell you.

It's madness just thinking about, if it were to happen...

kshep
02-07-2015, 04:57 PM
It's madness just thinking about, if it were to happen...

I know, riots in the streets, pitchforks, angry mobs.

I for one will flip my shift if either one gets hurt in this meaningless friendly, that we don't have to allow our players to play in.

If it happens in the gold cup, sucks just as much but wouldn't have the sting like losing them in a non FIFA match day friendly.

Red CB Toronto
02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Tbh I have no idea but probably since they are under contract with MLS, TFC would then probably seek compensation from the USSF though. That's why playing international friendlies on non sanctioned days is at least for me scary. Could potentially ruin our entire season and there's squat we could do about it, except not releasing the players.

Would be interesting to see if TFC would have to pay salary for a player injured on a non sanctioned fifa match day, sanctioned fifa days I can live with, because if they get hurt them the breaks can't prevent them from not playing. But if euro clubs will prevent the release of Canadian players to play in a sanctioned U20 world cup then I can't see how we can't prevent our boys playing in this friendly if the club chooses do do so.

In my mind it really does not matter when a game is played, you can get hurt at any time. Michael and/or Jozy could just as easily get hurt during a training session. Injury never plays a part in deciding your next move as it would take too much of the advantage you have as a world class player with the lingering in the back of your mind.

MLS and the USSF go hand in hand and as a result the best players in the MLS will get called upon for the international friendly vs. Mexico in San Antonio. In many ways the clubs really do not have a say in this matter, it's a league driven thing.

kshep
02-07-2015, 07:06 PM
I get the MLS USSF connection within the league, but I just wish that Mike and Jozy would skip the friendly since they will both be committed to the gold cup this summer. It's an unrealistic wish I understand, but I just have a bad feeling that either the German will run them into the ground or one of them is going to come up lame.

The risk of injury in a match or training I can live with, potentially seeing one of our 2 DPs go down in a meaningless non fifa date friendly during the season would be hard to stomach. And I do feel the same way about TFC playing in meaningless friendlies during the season too. Just to much potential for something to go wrong for no or little return.

It's really to bad the gold cup is this year too, couple that with our mega road swing to start the season we could be looking at another long year.

Guess I just see the friendly as one more potential way that TFC could be derailed in what has to really be a critical season/junction point for the club. We don't make the playoffs this year, could potentially start seeing sub 10k games as soon as next year.

We're already one of the most irrelevant clubs in the league.
failure this year, and mlse might as well fold the club or completely rebrand & relaunch.

Fort York Redcoat
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
I get the MLS USSF connection within the league, but I just wish that Mike and Jozy would skip the friendly since they will both be committed to the gold cup this summer. It's an unrealistic wish I understand, but I just have a bad feeling that either the German will run them into the ground or one of them is going to come up lame.

The risk of injury in a match or training I can live with, potentially seeing one of our 2 DPs go down in a meaningless non fifa date friendly during the season would be hard to stomach. And I do feel the same way about TFC playing in meaningless friendlies during the season too. Just to much potential for something to go wrong for no or little return.

It's really to bad the gold cup is this year too, couple that with our mega road swing to start the season we could be looking at another long year.

Guess I just see the friendly as one more potential way that TFC could be derailed in what has to really be a critical season/junction point for the club. We don't make the playoffs this year, could potentially start seeing sub 10k games as soon as next year.

We're already one of the most irrelevant clubs in the league.
failure this year, and mlse might as well fold the club or completely rebrand & relaunch.

It is a Gold Cup warm up which in turn is a warm up for qualifiers later on. They will play is as such.

and we are not Chivas USA. Take a look at how long that franchise took to fold. Relax.