PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Canadian Championship

Canuck82
02-04-2015, 03:45 PM
I noticed the US Open Cup schedule was announced today and included all of the USL Pro teams that are owned by MLS sides (LA Galaxy II, Sounders 2, Timbers 2, New York Red Bulls etc).

Does anyone know if the same courtesy will be extended to the Canadian USL pro teams for the upcoming Canadian championships? It would turn a 5 team tournament into an 8 team one - and expanding the tournament was one of the reasons the CSA extended the timeline for the tournament (and the only way the Whitecaps could win) :facepalm:

TFC07
02-04-2015, 03:51 PM
No, Canadian USL Pro teams aren't going to take part of Canadian championship since CSA views them part of their MLS clubs instead of independent teams (which makes sense). It will be MLS and NASL teams only and maybe in few years League One teams (there has been talks).

Red CB Toronto
02-04-2015, 03:51 PM
I noticed the US Open Cup schedule was announced today and included all of the USL Pro teams that are owned by MLS sides (LA Galaxy II, Sounders 2, Timbers 2, New York Red Bulls etc).

Does anyone know if the same courtesy will be extended to the Canadian USL pro teams for the upcoming Canadian championships? It would turn a 5 team tournament into an 8 team one - and expanding the tournament was one of the reasons the CSA extended the timeline for the tournament (and the only way the Whitecaps could win) :facepalm:

No, as the CSA does not view USL Pro in this country as individual teams but as extensions of the MLS teams.

Red CB Toronto
02-04-2015, 03:54 PM
No, Canadian USL Pro teams aren't going to take part of Canadian championship since CSA views them part of their MLS clubs instead of independent teams (which makes sense). It will be MLS and NASL teams only and maybe in few years League One teams (there has been talks).

The USSF does allow allow reserve teams ie USL Pro, affiliate teams such as say a U23 team in either PDL or NPSL too. I could see at some point the reserve teams not being allowed, believe Spain removed them from the Copa Del Ray in 1991. In England reserve teams are not an issue in the FA Cup as they do not play within the league system.

Canuck82
02-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't the issues facing the Canadian USL Pro teams be the same as those facing the American USL Pro ones? I noticed the US Open Cup organizing committee is already reflecting this in its scheduling of games, so that no affiliated clubs can play against one another. I am assuming that once you play for either the senior or II team, you are then cup tied to them?

TOBOR !
02-05-2015, 09:23 AM
USSF is making a mistake here.

Canuck82
02-05-2015, 01:19 PM
2015 Amway Canadian Championship Schedule

Preliminary Round - First Leg
April 22 - Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton

Preliminary Round - Second Leg
April 29 - FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

Semifinal Round - First Leg
May 6 - Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton v Vancouver Whitecaps
May 6 - Montreal Impact v Toronto FC

Semifinal Round - Second Leg
May 13 - Vancouver Whitecaps v Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton
May 13 - Toronto FC v Montreal Impact

FINAL
August 12 - First Leg
August 26 - Second Leg

2015 Amway Canadian Championship Seeding

1. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
2. Toronto FC
3. Montreal Impact
4. Winner of Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroad trip!!!:auto:

Initial B
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Er, wasn't the whole point of moving the tournament later to take advantage of the warmer weather? We NASL folk will still be freezing our butts of in April!

ryan
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Er, wasn't the whole point of moving the tournament later to take advantage of the warmer weather? We NASL folk will still be freezing our butts of in April!

No, the whole point was to open the schedule more. This will allow more lower end teams to evenutally join the fold.

WestStandGeoff
02-05-2015, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't judge it based just on this one instance... they might be avoiding July because of the Gold Cup?

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't judge it based just on this one instance... they might be avoiding July because of the Gold Cup?

Yep. That is the exact reasoning they gave further down the article.

Red4ever
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
This is pretty nice actually.

We'll get an away Columbus trip , the home opener the week before, and the vCUp on the road and at home against rivals.

We are really set up nicely to build some momentum in the stands. Especially if we can get into double digit points by the time we play our home opener.

pdogg
02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't want to put the cart before the horse, but if Vancouver is knocked out in the semifinal round, we'll host the second leg in Toronto during the Ex. I love the Ex games.