PDA

View Full Version : GO Fares to increase effective February 1st‏

nascarguy
01-30-2015, 07:35 AM
A reminder that as of February 1st, the cost of an adult single-ride ticket will increase.

The base adult single-ticket fare will increase as follows:

. a 10 cent increase on our minimum fare of $5.20
. a 30 cent increase on fares between $5.21 and $6.50
. a 40 cent increase on fares between $6.51 and $8.25
. a 50 cent increase on fares greater than $8.25

The increase will be approximately 5% for the majority of our customers who use PRESTO and fares for children, students and seniors will also increase accordingly.

Visit gotransit.com for more details.

FRANKIE65
01-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Figures. Be nice if TFC could strike some sort of a deal with them, considering how much extra cash we contribute to GO's bottom line every game day.

Joe Kool
01-30-2015, 08:05 AM
I wonder if there will still be a deal for the SSH's on game day like Lewieke mentioned last year. In exchange for some advertising by MLSE the SSH's were supposed to ride free on game day in an effort to alleviate the anticipated traffic/parking problem that will be at the Ex grounds with 8000 more seats being added. This will especially be a big problem as it already is when the Molson Amphitheatre has something on. Not looking forward to all of that.

molenshtain
01-30-2015, 08:12 AM
I feel like I remember the club announcing some sort of partnership with GO when they made the expansion announcement. Maybe that was just wishful thinking.

FRANKIE65
01-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Fingers crossed you guys are right. I'm not whining too much, considering the convenience of parking for free at Go, and, not having to deal with the nuthouse traffic/parking around BMO...the GO option for us coming from Woodstock, and, hopping on at Oakville, Port Credit, or, even, Aldershot is not bad for around $30.
That said, I sure wouldn't turn down a reduced fare for ssh!

BuSaPuNk
01-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Hopefully this deal is still in the works. Be nice to have it easier for those outside of an easy way to BMO not be able to drive down and take a cost effective way to alleviate the traffic problem in and around the ex especially when there are multiple things going on at once.

That said lucky I don't have to deal with this problem. A 10 min streetcar ride usually unless Ivy picks my as up then parking becomes a worry sometimes.

C.Ronaldo
01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
driving is still a decent option as long as I dont plan on leaving right after the game, and gas prices make driving pretty darn cheap now. All the new seats though, Go & parking is going to be really rammed.

MLSE must coordinate something with transit because its going to be nuts IF it ever sells out.

What is driving's goes costs exactly? Diesel's a bit cheaper, inflation is almost negative. Service hasnt improved much.

fergiejr
01-30-2015, 11:33 AM
We don't drive down anymore. I work in the beaches and come in from Oakville every day. The Gardiner is a mess and will be all season next year - remember they are taking a lane away on all highways for the Pan Am games - 3 or more in a car in the HOV lanes. It just does not pay to drive down anymore, and even more so with trains every 1/2 hour.

nascarguy
01-30-2015, 11:41 AM
should hope they don't put the price up too much or I will have to stop buying season tickets it's a good thing I have a PRESTO card

gunnerken
01-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Back in the early years (wow, can we say that now?)...my buddy and I used to drive in from Oakville probably 90% of the time and park in Liberty Village for free...there were maybe 2 condos back then. With the explosion in density around there, parking is very hard, and with the Gardiner situation, it has become a pain. When the GO service went to every 1/2 hour and we didn't have to wait 40 minutes for the train home (when k/o is on the hour which it usually is), we switched. Last season, it was pretty much all GO, Go, GO...

having said that, I would certainly appreciated some form of $ concession as a SSH...

Pint
01-30-2015, 11:54 AM
At this point the go train is nearly double the price of my ticket. Still not terrible but certainly adds a decent chunk to the total cost of tickets. If we can get a discount I would be very happy.

james
01-31-2015, 01:10 AM
ya the lakeshore GO line has improved big time in the last few years now that its every 30 mins in non peak hours ( that said Toronto and surrounding suburbs of this size should have trains more like every 20-15 mins minimum) but those hourly service was brutal a few years ago. I also love the fact they have GO Buses leaving from Union stopping at places like Port Credit, Clarkson, Oakville and further along the line to Hamilton at 1;30am , 2:00 am and 2:30am. I remember when if you missed the last GO train home it was a time to pay $70-$100 cab ride home to Oakville. I feel sorry for a lot of other GO lines that still are hourly or even worse only running a few trains in the rush hour periods, brutal service to many other neighbourhoods surrounding the city north of the Lakeshore areas.

Cashcleaner
01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
From what I understand, GO and MLSE are working out a deal where people with tickets only need to pay to get to Exhibition Station and the return trip will be free after the game. They did it a few times last year as part of a pilot program to see if it was feasible (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/03/24/go_transit_ticket_proposal_cheered_by_toronto_fc_f ans.html), and more recently with a few Raptor and Leaf matches.

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

Red CB Toronto
01-31-2015, 10:59 AM
From what I understand, GO and MLSE are working out a deal where people with tickets only need to pay to get to Exhibition Station and the return trip will be free after the game. They did it a few times last year as part of a pilot program to see if it was feasible (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/03/24/go_transit_ticket_proposal_cheered_by_toronto_fc_f ans.html), and more recently with a few Raptor and Leaf matches.

That is great to see, it certainly gives people some sort of incentive/break. Living in the city I would normally take the TTC downtown and with all the construction take the GO on stop over to the Ex.

jazzy
01-31-2015, 12:14 PM
It would be great to see a cost effective game day ticket.......but it should be with the statement that you can't leave early ;)......as so many do.

nascarguy
02-01-2015, 07:42 AM
yeah with my tiger cats season tickets I get free bus ride 3 hours before kickoff this is what TFC needs to do.

FRANKIE65
02-01-2015, 08:24 AM

This would be excellent!! Save us about $15 per game.

nfitz
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM

Personally, I think it's a great idea.For any GO trip, if you tap on to return less than 3 hours after the start of your trip, the return is very cheap or free. So for many, little is gained, and for others, all they are effectively doing is extending this a bit.

Still, nice for those who come early for a drink, or come from out-of-town.

Brooker
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Do you know how much it costs for a simple trip from Oakville to Burlington return? It's insane.

nfitz
02-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Do you know how much it costs for a simple trip from Oakville to Burlington return? It's insane.If returning in less than 3 hours. $6.75 for both trips - which seems reasonable enough. If longer than 3 hours - $11.52 - which is excessive. GO has for a while, increased shorter trips much more than longer trips.

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Do you know how much it costs for a simple trip from Oakville to Burlington return? It's insane.

The minimum charge I believe is $5.20.

nfitz
02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
The minimum charge I believe is $5.20.$5.30 cash, $4.77 with Presto.

Oblio2
02-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Figures. Be nice if TFC could strike some sort of a deal with them, considering how much extra cash we contribute to GO's bottom line every game day.

Yep. Can really see GO giving TFC fans a deal because of a few home games at BMO and ignoring the thousands of people who use the train daily, all year round...

OgtheDim
02-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Yep. Can really see GO giving TFC fans a deal because of a few home games at BMO and ignoring the thousands of people who use the train daily, all year round...

TFC usage is added revenue. And its the second largest event that uses GO, behind only Caribana.

Abou Sky
02-02-2015, 08:54 AM
TFC usage is added revenue. And its the second largest event that uses GO, behind only Caribana.

Is that per game or per season?

Joe Kool
02-02-2015, 09:19 AM

The initial agreement MLSE were trying to work out, as I understood it, was for TFC SSH's to get the free ride on the GO on game day and MLSE would use their whole marketing arm to advertise for GO. I am sure GO being advertised heavily to every Raptor, Leaf, Marlie and TFC fan is worth something. Also, GO was going to be allowed to use the player's images in their adverts too. This has nothing to do with the people that use the train daily unless of course the companies those people work for have a big audience and advertise the crap out of GO already and if that is the case I think they should get to ride free. I bet that is not the case though.

Cas87
02-02-2015, 09:21 AM
If you look at the Toronto Rock, with there 'GO' Rock 'GO' pack (where your ride home in included) i think this is what the TFC FO is trying to do for Season seats (or maybe even single ride vouchers for the busier times at the EX, like the CNE, Indy and Pan Am games this year).