PDA

View Full Version : Giovinco to TFC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Yohan
01-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Still in shock!

jiforio
01-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Also known as LA FORMICA ATOMICA "the Atomic Ant"! He'll tear this league apart!! Good signing!

flamehawk
01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
I am gittery in excitement! Went out to dinner with friends and came home to this huge news.

But I am also really anxious, considering what happened after media claims that Forlan had signed. Don't play with my heart like this! :(

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2015, 10:27 PM
I love this nickname , might even consider putting Atomic Ant on a jersey.

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 10:30 PM
....But I am also really anxious, considering what happened after media claims that Forlan had signed. Don't play with my heart like this! :(

Well no tweet of welcome from a soon to be former staffer is probably a good thing. :)

Seriously, I would trust this info. If you watch how the news about Defoe to Sunderland went down locally among the beat reporters, that's what happened here tonight. With Defoe, it was Wheeler who got the local confirmation (after a UK report). Here, Molinaro did a LOT of digging today to get this, and everything followed.

I feel good for Molinaro as he was an hour behind on the confirmation on Defoe - this one he broke, and this is a bigger story.

We are spoiled in this city now for TFC and soccer reporters. No other city in in North America has the amount of people working MLS as here.

reggie
01-17-2015, 10:31 PM
we have sucked for 8 yrs....but we never lack for news:scarf::facepalm:

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/556652086264606722) Also important: Giovinco is pronounced Joe-vin-coh. NOT Gee-oh-vin-coh. 3 syllables. NOT 4. :)

Initial B
01-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Reading this trade made me spit-take my Brio.

If TFC can get a top-flight CB and a winger upgrade, then they probably will have had the best off-season of all the MLS clubs. Then again, they had the best off-season last year and look how that ended up...

Pookie
01-17-2015, 10:57 PM
I go with pro and con here.

Pro: good age and this offseason has me more optimistic than last year's hype.

Con: $7m? For a league that could face a strike based on the nickels and dimes it pays the bulk of the players, the wages at TFC for 3 players (4 if Gilberto sticks around)... Just wow. Fuel for the union ?

TFC will have an interesting locker room to manage once again. Hopefully the personalities mix.

69Chevy396
01-17-2015, 11:06 PM
I go with pro and con here.

Pro: good age and this offseason has me more optimistic than last year's hype.

Con: $7m? For a league that could face a strike based on the nickels and dimes it pays the bulk of the players, the wages at TFC for 3 players (4 if Gilberto sticks around)... Just wow. Fuel for the union ?

TFC will have an interesting locker room to manage once again. Hopefully the personalities mix.
If Giovinco signs, TFC should keep Gilberto and trade Altidore to Portland or New York for one of their star defenders.

Yohan
01-17-2015, 11:07 PM
If Giovinco signs, TFC should keep Gilberto and trade Altidore to Portland or New York for one of their star defenders.
lulz. never going to happen

jloome
01-17-2015, 11:08 PM

LOL, neither team has a star defender except Ridgewell in Portland... who's also a DP. Kind of tells you the way the league is going, eh?

Alonso
01-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Just WOW

Can we keep Gilberto too please?!?

ensco
01-17-2015, 11:19 PM
With three guys making 5-7M, TFC will have a $22M payroll or similar, which would be 4x MLS average and make them an average team in Brazil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2833020/Premier-League-wages-dwarf-Europe-flight-players-England-earning-average-2-3million-year.html

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Giovinco goal vs Milan 6/10/13, ball goes through the back of the net.

http://youtu.be/N2KFFpKKKME

brad
01-17-2015, 11:27 PM
With three guys making 5-7M, TFC will have a $22M payroll or similar, which would be 4x MLS average and make them an average team in Brazil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2833020/Premier-League-wages-dwarf-Europe-flight-players-England-earning-average-2-3million-year.html

Shame we can't use that money to build a balanced squad.

Oldtimer
01-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Reading this trade made me spit-take my Brio.

:lol: That's a great line, thanks for making me laugh.

ensco
01-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Shame we can't use that money to build a balanced squad.

Yes. I suspect we'd finish last in Brazil.

These salaries are unreal. We have become a Russian team.

When was the last time a serious Italian player at a big team left Italy at age 28 or younger for a club that wasn't a superclub (eg Cassano to Real Madrid doesn't count)? I remember Toto Schillaci went to Japan but I looked it up, he was 30 when he did that.

flamehawk
01-17-2015, 11:41 PM
Can any Juve or Serie A fan comment on Giovinco's reputation in terms of his mentality. I am automatically wary now that we might have Defoe's problem come up later in the season.

MikeM
01-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Can any Juve or Serie A fan comment on Giovinco's reputation in terms of his mentality. I am automatically wary now that we might have Defoe's problem come up later in the season.

His mentality is fine. He has been with Juventus for his whole career. He has been on the bench much of the last three seasons and hasn't spoken out. He gets along great with his teammates.

TFC Tifoso
01-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Yes. I suspect we'd finish last in Brazil.

These salaries are unreal. We have become a Russian team.

When was the last time a serious Italian player at a big team left Italy at age 28 or younger? I remember Toto Schillaci went to Japan but I looked it up, he was 30 when he did that.

Chinaglia went to the Cosmos at 28/29.......

Massive signing.....well done to Leiweke and Bez......

ManUtd4ever
01-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Massive signing for the organization on and off the pitch. The probability of selling out a 30,000 seat renovated BMO Field just increased dramatically, as this move will definitely capture the attention of thousands of Serie A supporters in this city that haven't given TFC or MLS a sniff. Better yet, Giovinco is not just a name; he is still in his prime, and fills a massive void on the roster.

It's a shame that he likely won't be available until July though. Our schedule is going to be brutal to start the season, and by the time he joins the club, we might be in a difficult position in the standings with only a dozen games left. Hopefully, our squad depth will be bolstered enough before the season opener to enable us to stay within range of a playoff spot until then.

As for the prospects of retaining Gilberto beyond July, I would be shocked if Leiweke and Bez didn't have the inside track on the potential for a 4th DP slot to be added in the next CBA. My guess is it will be a domestic DP slot with no age restrictions, and with Bradley and Altidore in the fold, we'll be fine. If that is not the case, or Gilberto doesn't live up to expectations for the first few months of the season, there is always the option of loaning him to a club outside the league. I don't think that management wants another Laba situation on the horizon.

Alixir
01-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Defoe's later in the season problem started right after he found out he didnt make the England World Cup squad.
Thats the only reason he came here...at least in my opinion.

Yohan
01-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Defoe's later in the season problem started right after he found out he didnt make the England World Cup squad.
Thats the only reason he came here...at least in my opinion.
and a truckload of money

Gringo Starr
01-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Massive signing for the organization on and off the pitch. The probability of selling out a 30,000 seat renovated BMO Field just increased dramatically, as this move will definitely capture the attention of thousands of Serie A supporters in this city that haven't given TFC or MLS a sniff. Better yet, Giovinco is not just a name; he is still in his prime, and fills a massive void on the roster.

I have no doubt that this will help sell a ton of tickets but i wonder what type of crowd will fill the stands. Will the Serie A fans become TFC fans or will sections of BMO field be Azzurri blue or Juve colours. Great signing that fills a huge need but this also feels like a bit of a desperation signing too to fill the stands by appealing to a community that has felt snubbed.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 12:50 AM
With the January transfer window open, know he has already agreed to a contract bringing in July, would you expect Juventus to really play hard ball regarding a transfer fee to get him early and in time for the start of the MLS season?

ManUtd4ever
01-18-2015, 12:58 AM
I have no doubt that this will help sell a ton of tickets but i wonder what type of crowd will fill the stands. Will the Serie A fans become TFC fans or will sections of BMO field be Azzurri blue or Juve colours. Great signing that fills a huge need but this also feels like a bit of a desperation signing too to fill the stands by appealing to a community that has felt snubbed.

I believe it's definitely not a coincidence that MLSE targeted a well known player in Serie A and the Italian national team program. However, this is not just a marketing ploy. It fills a glaring void on the roster, and Giovinco has several prime years ahead of him. This is not a comparable scenario to Montreal signing Nesta.

As for the jerseys in the stands, it doesn't matter if it attracts new blood to the stadium. If TFC manages to finally get it's act together the next few years, the seeds will be sown for a new generation of supporters, and that can only benefit the organization in the long run.

ManUtd4ever
01-18-2015, 01:08 AM
With the January transfer window open, know he has already agreed to a contract bringing in July, would you expect Juventus to really play hard ball regarding a transfer fee to get him early and in time for the start of the MLS season?

I was thinking about this as well. If the reports are accurate that we are paying a multi million dollar transfer fee, why would Juventus insist on having him stay for the balance of the Serie A schedule to languish on the bench?

Our contract offer obviously blew other interested clubs out of the water, so it stands to reason that we could have acquired him for free to join our club in July.

Stryker
01-18-2015, 01:11 AM
http://www.futhead.com/15/players/14535/sebastian-giovinco/

I have no idea how he'll play in real life for us but he'll be a blast to use on Fifa. :)

ManUtd4ever
01-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Wheeler and Molinaro have both reported that the July arrival date has not been confirmed, so fingers crossed...

EDIT: It appears as though the signing is confirmed, but the transfer fee is not official yet. If Juventus accepts a transfer fee, then Giovinco should be available for the pre-season. If not, he will report in July and Juventus will not receive any compensation.

notthesun
01-18-2015, 01:42 AM
If we get him to start the season, we'll pay a transfer fee. If he comes in July it'll be on a free.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 01:43 AM
I was thinking about this as well. If the reports are accurate that we are paying a multi million dollar transfer fee, why would Juventus insist on having him stay for the balance of the Serie A schedule to languish on the bench?

Our contract offer obviously blew other interested clubs out of the water, so it stands to reason that we could have acquired him for free to join our club in July.

I think based on what I have read is that a transfer fee would only be applicable if the Reds wanted him to arrive earlier than July, which would mean an agreement with Juventus would have to take place before closing of the January transfer window.

ManUtd4ever
01-18-2015, 01:54 AM
I think based on what I have read is that a transfer fee would only be applicable if the Reds wanted him to arrive earlier than July, which would mean an agreement with Juventus would have to take place before closing of the January transfer window.

That is what I understood as well, although reports have indicated that a significant transfer fee has been offered by TFC, so I assume it's up to Juventus at this point.

dutch
01-18-2015, 03:56 AM
Holy shit!! I swore this wouldnt happen, it was too good to be true. Think of the chemistry!? Bradley and Altidore are like a pair on their national team. Bradley welcomes Gio and takes him under his wing. I could just see it, Bradley knows exactly where Altidore is going while yelling at Gio in Italian! lol What a great trio. Oh and this native dp extra slot idea, is genius and just what garber wants, people to bring the U.S national team home to MLS. I hope Gilberto stays, we'd be the new guardians against the Galaxy! Seriously though, MLSE only has to worry about the salary cap. When it comes to signings. Yet getting peoples attention when you want to make signings and bringing in personnel like jurgen klinnsman, kevin payne etc is all off the books as far as MLS is concerned. Sometimes like now, I think MLSE must send like gigantic wire transfers of dough to foreign owners after they land to talk business lol. I know we got a sweet new training ground but bringing in bradley, koevermans, altidore,defoe, torsten frings, gilberto. to a team thats never made the playoffs?
we definitly dont have money problems!

Super
01-18-2015, 04:16 AM
This is a pretty damn good signing. Bravo TFC!

DoubleUp
01-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Just WOW

We must to be competitive.

DOMIN8R
01-18-2015, 07:08 AM
I stand corrected. I didn't think that this would happen. Looks like a good signing. At least until he gets mowed down by MLS hacks and experiences our officiating first hand. Oh, and the travel, the climate and the culture shock. Which is not inconsequential for someone who has only played in 1 league.

But with the 2015 schedule being what it is. We really need him in camp soon to adjust and contribute early. Not in July.

Ivy
01-18-2015, 07:18 AM
I stand corrected. I didn't think that this would happen. Looks like a good signing. At least until he gets mowed down by MLS hacks and experiences our officiating first hand. Oh, and the travel, the climate and the culture shock. Which is not inconsequential for someone who has only played in 1 league.

But with the 2015 schedule being what it is. We really need him in camp soon to adjust and contribute early. Not in July.
never really understood players getting cultural shock in Toronto.

ensco
01-18-2015, 08:39 AM
never really understood players getting cultural shock in Toronto.

In North America, by and large, no one cares about soccer. This is a pretty shocking culture if you are an elite soccer professional.

Plus the culture of the locker room is obviously unique. All these guys making 50K and living with their parents etc, guys like Giovinco haven't seen that since they were 16.

Huyton
01-18-2015, 08:45 AM
We signed Defoe and played a friendly against Tottenham...

Detroit_TFC
01-18-2015, 08:50 AM
David Amoyal ‏@DavidAmoyal (https://twitter.com/DavidAmoyal) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DavidAmoyal/status/556786787126095872) If Giovinco could get $10 million (after taxes no less) in MLS the real question is how much could Padoin get to play in Canada

He said in another tweet that it is $7M base plus $3M bonuses. But if that is net, then his gross will be probably double the next highest in the league. That is how much a "truckload" is.

something, something other people's money etc but a salary that large is going to create some ramifications in the league, and could shift the discussion in the CBA talks.

Brooker
01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Where's that ridiculous youtube video of idiots saying it was impossible for us to sign him that somebody posted here a few days ago and that Giovinco would only come here years down to line to retire?

MightyDM
01-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Where's that ridiculous youtube video of idiots saying it was impossible for us to sign him that somebody posted here a few days ago and that Giovinco would only come here years down to line to retire?

Hahahahaha. Touche

Wagner
01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
I love this nickname , might even consider putting Atomic Ant on a jersey.

i don't know, you don't want the General to get jealous.

Couchy81
01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
This is insane. So excited for the season.

Gringo Starr
01-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Kinda wonder how his size will hold up with all the aggressive tackles but coming in July might be the best thing. With the lopsided schedule if he came in July he would miss a huge chunk of the travel, have a good run of games at home and be able to get settled in the city avoiding the massive opening road trip is one less thing to overcome when getting used to MLS

Milanista
01-18-2015, 11:54 AM
now lets see if he can convince some good italian players to come with him in the future, not DP type players but good role players. This move can be a game changer

The meeting must of gone like this..
.His agent says, hey you want to play in MLS?
Giovinco- MLS...what is that?
Agent- its in North America
Giovinco- haaa yeah right I'm still young, no way
Agent- they are going to offer you 10 mil
Gio- where do i sign

BuSaPuNk
01-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Kinda wonder how his size will hold up with all the aggressive tackles but coming in July might be the best thing. With the lopsided schedule if he came in July he would miss a huge chunk of the travel, have a good run of games at home and be able to get settled in the city avoiding the massive opening road trip is one less thing to overcome when getting used to MLS

That's a huge advantage if he comes in July. He will have a chance to stay in town and avoid travel and really be in a bubble for the first few weeks.

Hopefully Corso Italia can keep him feeling home sick and he can really feel like this is his new home.

BeachTory
01-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Team must be in roster compliance march 1. At this point, 3 dp is the rule. So any contract would need timing flexibility.
as in, if current rule on dp numbers stand, he comes in july. Gives team time to work out a deal on. Gilberto. If extra DP adde in cba, he could come now/soon. Transfer fee applies. If fourth dp added, but a slight cba related delay to season, july seems appropriate.

Also as this seems to be bradleys team, the italian language barrier doesnt exist with. Bradley speaking italian. No reason to expect confusion on field like Gilberto seems to have had at the begining. I read somewhere that Gilberto had a very attractive GF here in toronto. That is how i imagine learning a new language is accomplished in a very short time frame !

Flipityflu
01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Well no tweet of welcome from a soon to be former staffer is probably a good thing. :)

Seriously, I would trust this info. If you watch how the news about Defoe to Sunderland went down locally among the beat reporters, that's what happened here tonight. With Defoe, it was Wheeler who got the local confirmation (after a UK report). Here, Molinaro did a LOT of digging today to get this, and everything followed.

I feel good for Molinaro as he was an hour behind on the confirmation on Defoe - this one he broke, and this is a bigger story.

We are spoiled in this city now for TFC and soccer reporters. No other city in in North America has the amount of people working MLS as here.

Wrong. Gareth Wheeler broke the news that Giovinco was about to sign on the 14th of January, at the time the Sunderland deal broke. Nobody else even mentioned him until Saturday, unless they were using Wheeler's info. Sportsnet did not even acknowledge the rumour.

cementhead
01-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Great signing boys. Love Juventus my favorite Series A, But who going to be Our center backs will score shit load but with the Defense we have going to be same old story!

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 12:25 PM
i don't know, you don't want the General to get jealous.

Ha, Ha, good one, I have my General Jerseys.

TFC07
01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Great signing boys. Love Juventus my favorite Series A, But who going to be Our center backs will score shit load but with the Defense we have going to be same old story!

CB signing is coming soon.

brad
01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Why hasn't he been playing for last year and a half?

TFC07
01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I wonder if MLSE will think about expanding BMO field to 40K seats if they manage to sell out this season.

This signing can potentially sell out 30K seats this year and winning TFC can create huge demand for tickets.

MikeM
01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Why hasn't he been playing for last year and a half?

Juventus doesn't play with wingers. They played the last 3 years with 2 strikers. They made Giovinco a second striker and he plays behind Tevez who never misses a game.

Also, hate to say it but he struggled the past couple years. Poor decision-making in the final third. He's not really a striker. He's more of a winger.

OgtheDim
01-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Wrong. Gareth Wheeler broke the news that Giovinco was about to sign on the 14th of January, at the time the Sunderland deal broke. Nobody else even mentioned him until Saturday, unless they were using Wheeler's info. Sportsnet did not even acknowledge the rumour.

Are you like Wheeler's Mum? :)

FWIW, from what I read of Wheeler, he said they were close but no deal done yet....which is what most people were saying at the time. Everybody had mentioned Giovinco before then. Every beat reporter had it mentionned to them.

Molinaro tracked down the ACTUAL signing yesterday. Which is why he got credited by most people. Water under the bridge this though.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 01:10 PM
That's a huge advantage if he comes in July. He will have a chance to stay in town and avoid travel and really be in a bubble for the first few weeks.

Hopefully Corso Italia can keep him feeling home sick and he can really feel like this is his new home.

The one thing is that having him showing up July 1st means he will play his first season with the club without Altidore and Bradley due to the Gold Cup.

johnmolinaro
01-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Are you like Wheeler's Mum? :)

FWIW, from what I read of Wheeler, he said they were close but no deal done yet....which is what most people were saying at the time. Everybody had mentioned Giovinco before then. Every beat reporter had it mentionned to them.

Molinaro tracked down the ACTUAL signing yesterday. Which is why he got credited by most people. Water under the bridge this though.

Really, it SO doesn't matter who broke what, who had what information first, etc. This isn't at all about the reporters who cover this club. It's about Toronto FC getting a talented player, the kind of player they've long needed, who makes them a better team. That should be the focus here. Nothing else.

My two cents spent. :)

John Molinaro

Pookie
01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
^ speaking of two cents. I still can't get over the $7M figure. That's 700,000,000 cents.

The Union has to have a field day with that.

Pookie
01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
I wonder if MLSE will think about expanding BMO field to 40K seats if they manage to sell out this season.

This signing can potentially sell out 30K seats this year and winning TFC can create huge demand for tickets.

You think?

I think that they will sell out for a couple of games this year (home opener for certain) but interest tends to fall during the season. I don't think that their average fan really understands the MLS playoffs/CONCACAF and the rest of it. Even the hard core amongst us here, there are probably a significant portion that never watched a single MLS playoff game this year.

Fans they are attracting are used to table formats where the games mean everything. Last year we had a debate around comments that certain games weren't "must win." With the playoffs going the CFL route now with 12/20 making it in (that's 6/10 MLS vs 6/9 CFL) , it seems like less of an accomplishment. (I know big thing to say for a fan of a team that hasn't made it ever… yet). Particularly if you go all season to get knocked out in a single game.

I think there will be an initial hype but that will fall off through the season. People may want to follow a player, check it out, but long term sustainable interest in a team in the MLS will be a hard nut to crack.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Really, it SO doesn't matter who broke what, who had what information first, etc. This isn't at all about the reporters who cover this club. It's about Toronto FC getting a talented player, the kind of player they've long needed, who makes them a better team. That should be the focus here. Nothing else.

John Molinaro

John,
Thanks for the great coverage you, Kurt, Gareth and everyone else work so hard to provide. We in Toronto are ever so lucky for it, compared to what people get in other MLS markets. Keep it up and thanks again.

Cashcleaner
01-18-2015, 03:44 PM
We signed Defoe and played a friendly against Tottenham...

Ha! Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they organized a friendly against Juve this season as part of the deal. And I bet you it would be one of the highest attended matches as well even given the increased seating at BMO.

In North America, by and large, no one cares about soccer. This is a pretty shocking culture if you are an elite soccer professional.

Plus the culture of the locker room is obviously unique. All these guys making 50K and living with their parents etc, guys like Giovinco haven't seen that since they were 16.

That may end up being a good thing, though. I can totally understand how some players get tired of the constant attention outside of gameday in other parts of the world. It could end up being a nice change for some guys coming in and realizing they're one of the top dogs on a team but can still live in relative anonymity when they're not on the clock.

Well, as myself and others have mentioned in the BMO Field thread, I think the stadium is gonna get more seating regardless of TFC's fortunes. But I will say that if the crowds come back to watch TFC and we can make a good go of things next season - it does give the soccer branch of MLSE more clout when the Argonauts and City come by with their list of demands.

ensco
01-18-2015, 04:11 PM

John Molinaro

Well, we appreciate your body of work over the years, and know that this is a tough beat that must give pause to your bosses (this ain't exactly the leafs in terms of interest level). So thanks for that.

Question: have you asked yet whether "Joe" has any connection to TO? Maybe he or his wife have family here....?

Huyton
01-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Ha! Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they organized a friendly against Juve this season as part of the deal. And I bet you it would be one of the highest attended matches as well even given the increased seating at BMO.

Juventus-Fiorentina only got 21,000 out at the stadium formerly known as SkyDome in May 2010.

Jack
01-18-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm still pinching myself over this one. A creative, attacking mid/winger on TFC!

MikeM
01-18-2015, 05:31 PM
In today's game he got subbed in at the 83rd minute. But the circumstances were a bit weird. Buffon actually kicked the ball out of play so that Giovinco could come on (since he had been standing at the touchline for quite some time). Something Buffon would probably only do if it were Giovinco's last appearance.

I guess it's possible he could be coming sooner than July.

OgtheDim
01-18-2015, 05:35 PM
The announcement is at 1:00 pm tomorrow. I doubt Giovinco is going to be there.

portu
01-18-2015, 05:37 PM
The announcement is at 1:00 pm tomorrow. I doubt Giovinco is going to be there.

maybe through skype?

mowe
01-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Would be a little silly to call a press conference without having the player there. But Juventus played today so I dunno.

reggie
01-18-2015, 05:54 PM
maybe LTs private plane?

flamehawk
01-18-2015, 06:04 PM
maybe LTs private plane?

But that would still strike me as odd. What is the rush? Why have a player rush to the airport to come here right after a game instead of having the press conference a day later?

Also would like that for selfish reasons as I will be stuck on a plane to Hong Kong during the press conference. Does Air Canada have wifi yet?

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
But that would still strike me as odd. What is the rush? Why have a player rush to the airport to come here right after a game instead of having the press conference a day later?

Also would like that for selfish reasons as I will be stuck on a plane to Hong Kong during the press conference. Does Air Canada have wifi yet?

He is not going to be in attendance for the announcement tomorrow.

Fort York Redcoat
01-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I love seeing the optimism on the Italian community coming out. I hope to see that as well.

flamehawk
01-18-2015, 06:19 PM
He is not going to be in attendance for the announcement tomorrow.

I wonder what the big rush is to have a press conference though before everything is ready.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2015, 06:30 PM
I love seeing the optimism on the Italian community coming out. I hope to see that as well.

I also would be up for the Reds signing a player from Ghana, love to see that vibe make a return to BMO Field.

cwell
01-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Good on you to remember Chinaglia. He had an ego that made it possible for him to dominate the NASL and survive in NY. I hope that Giovinco speaks some English - I think lack of same was a problem for Gilberto.
Chinaglia went to the Cosmos at 28/29.......

Massive signing.....well done to Leiweke and Bez......

cwell
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Oduro doesn't count?

OgtheDim
01-18-2015, 07:01 PM
... I hope that Giovinco speaks some English - I think lack of same was a problem for Gilberto.

Bradley speaks decent enough Italian, by all accounts.

brad
01-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Juventus-Fiorentina only got 21,000 out at the stadium formerly known as SkyDome in May 2010.

And that was with Del Piero. That game actually felt like Del Piero and friends a faint Fiorentina.

brad
01-18-2015, 07:13 PM

I hope to see some sustained interest past the inintial few games here.

Red4ever
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
If you care about breaking a story, you probably don't do it that often.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself but it's actually kind of funny what I just read.

Ivy
01-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Yah but that would take an average person, 15?20? Minutes to get used to... It's the initial awe, but I don't understand how guys like defoe, making millions, in a multi cultural city like Toronto, can't find a place to belong?

Not being a superstar and recognized everywhere you go is a different issue...

Gringo Starr
01-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Its crazy I just checked the schedule and in July 3 out of the 4 games are actually on the road, still think it will be good if he avoids the opening slog though

johnmolinaro
01-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Well, we appreciate your body of work over the years, and know that this is a tough beat that must give pause to your bosses (this ain't exactly the leafs in terms of interest level). So thanks for that.

Question: have you asked yet whether "Joe" has any connection to TO? Maybe he or his wife have family here....?

Wow. That's very kind of you to say. thanks.

John

johnmolinaro
01-18-2015, 07:55 PM
If you care about breaking a story, you probably don't do it that often.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself but it's actually kind of funny what I just read.

Not sure who this is aimed at - hopefully not me :) - but I think you have a point in that too many reporters (in all fields) care more about their egos and breaking stories

As I wrote earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter who broke what, and who had what info when. It's not about that or the reporter. It's about Giovinco and TFC signing an important player.

John Molinaro

Cashcleaner
01-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Perhaps, but TFC will be fielding a former Juve player ourselves and I assume it will be at BMO Field. The attendance for the friendly against Tottenham last year was almost a sell-out crowd at BMO Field (22,500). Of course, a lot depends on how this is all marketed.

Abou Sky
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM

I'm concerned about size too, what happens when Jameson Olave starts leaning on this guy? Then when there is no call about it?

I don't follow Serie A, so I had no idea who this guy was before TFC interest. Watching he highlight videos he looks like a champ, but my money is on Altidore having a MUCH bigger impact on our performance this year than Giovinco.

molenshtain
01-18-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm concerned about size too, what happens when Jameson Olave starts leaning on this guy? Then when there is no call about it?

I don't follow Serie A, so I had no idea who this guy was before TFC interest. Watching he highlight videos he looks like a champ, but my money is on Altidore having a MUCH bigger impact on our performance this year than Giovinco.

there are big defenders and no calls from refs everywhere. I don't see it being a problem. It wasn't for Plata.

BuSaPuNk
01-18-2015, 10:34 PM
there are big defenders and no calls from refs everywhere. I don't see it being a problem. It wasn't for Plata.

Yeah im not too concerned about it. Giovinco skill level is alot higher then Plata so he should be able to keep himself out of those positions.

And im sure Bradley and the staff will let him know what defenders to watch out for with there dirty tactics.

ManUtd4ever
01-18-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm not concerned about his size either. His speed, footwork, and technical ability should compensate. He should also be able to draw plenty of fouls, which bodes well because he is a free kick specialist.

trane
01-18-2015, 11:16 PM
I did not believe that this would happen. I was shocked at Bradely, this is even more shocking, but much like Bradley he was not playing much at Juve. Size is the only knock on this guy, other then that he is world class talent. A true 10. Juve play a 3-5-2, the mids tend to be two way players, or pure wingers so not much room for him if he is not playing as a SS.

If he signs he has to get the 10 shirt. Our first real 10.

I just someone who watches more Juve then me, that he is not good as a 10 and better wide. That is not what I have seen. But then I do not follow Juve. I always see him as a SS.

ensco
01-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Someone mentioned Chinaglia but that was a long time ago and he was running away from the authorities.

Italians under 30 don't leave Italy much - only real comparables I can think of are Borini at Liverpool, and of course Balotelli. They also do not go to MLS much at any age (anyone since Donadoni?)

This is a rare and exceptional signing.

69Chevy396
01-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Yeah im not too concerned about it. Giovinco skill level is alot higher then Plata so he should be able to keep himself out of those positions.

And im sure Bradley and the staff will let him know what defenders to watch out for with there dirty tactics.
Serie A is a very physical league. It is also a very dirty league, Giovinco will see nothing new in MLS other than the mediocre technical skills that will surround him. He is tough enough, but will he become frustrated like Defoe? I am glad he is coming, his distribution skills are world class, meaning, like nothing we have seen here. If healthy, and motivated, he is a significant upgrade over Defoe.

ag futbol
01-18-2015, 11:54 PM
I think he'll be a FW. Osorio-Bradley play a pivot of sorts and a dedicated DM is used behind them. Have no idea who that DM will be but I have zero confidence in what's on our roster currently.

Maybe RF plays the other wing? More than assuming Gilberto is toast, even without the other stories we've heard.

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:29 AM
I think he'll be a FW. Osorio-Bradley play a pivot of sorts and a dedicated DM is used behind them. Have no idea who that DM will be but I have zero confidence in what's on our roster currently.

Maybe RF plays the other wing? More than assuming Gilberto is toast, even without the other stories we've heard.

Versatile guy to have. I don't assume Gilberto is toast; it'll depend on both the CBA and the offers they get. If someone comes in with five million bucks, they're not going to turn it down.

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:31 AM

Play Giovinco and Gilberto as inverted wingers who cut inside the vast majority of the time; solves a lot of problems. Set it up as a 433 with Altidore in the middle, alternating between holding up for those guys and taking through balls from them. Findley's better as a wide forward than a straight striker; can't hit the broad side of a barn but has traditionally had good wheels.

----------------------Altidore/Dike----------------------
------Giovinco/Osorio------------Gilberto/Findley--------
--Jackson/Bekker----Bradl./Chap/Oso----Delgado
Morrow-----Caldwell----New?/Hagg----Bloom
-----------------------Bendik-----------------------------

portu
01-19-2015, 04:59 AM
Really hope the FO make sure that Seba learns English before he comes in 6 months time, it could be key to his ability to settle properly in Toronto and MLS

DOMIN8R
01-19-2015, 06:32 AM

Yes, it was. MLS officials are often unable to discern the difference between a contact versus a foul. Never-mind, taking into account a 60 lbs weight difference. Plata, once found out, was less able to use his dribbling and ability to find space. MLS players simply smother crafty players, as long as they are outside the final third. How many times did we see this at BMO? Plata has had to change his style of play to avoid close proximity/contact. To his credit, he has adjusted. But it can be frustrating to players who unfamiliar with MLS officiating. We've all seen that.

molenshtain
01-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Yes, it was. MLS officials are often unable to discern the difference between a contact versus a foul. Never-mind, taking into account a 60 lbs weight difference. Plata, once found out, was less able to use his dribbling and ability to find space. MLS players simply smother crafty players, as long as they are outside the final third. How many times did we see this at BMO? Plata has had to change his style of play to avoid close proximity/contact. To his credit, he has adjusted. But it can be frustrating to players who unfamiliar with MLS officiating. We've all seen that.

A lot of Plata's issues had to deal with the fact that there was absolutely nobody running into space under Winter. Defenders could just stand him up and hit him without worrying about guys running in behind. That issue is absent at RSL, which has a lot do with why he's been so much better there.

I agree that in MLS it can be quite difficult for creative players at times, but that's why the best attacking teams in the league are really good at maximizing space in the offensive third so that the great creative players in this league get as uch room as possible.(Seattle, SKC, LA, Revs, Portlandetc.) It became very clear late in the season last year (I try not to remember that Houston game, but there you go) that we had no fucking clue how to create space while attacking. That's something that we can't rely on Giovinco for and something that Vanney is going to need to teach this tea as a whole going forward.

ronzilla
01-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Signing Giovinco is absolutely incredible and I am still in disbelief. My biggest concern is that he will not be available until July, hope we can work something out to have him here before preseason and that would guarantee us a playoff spot.

http://youtu.be/idlKkEAzcdA

Graeme
01-19-2015, 08:35 AM
----------------------Altidore/Dike----------------------
------Giovinco/Osorio------------Gilberto/Findley--------
--Jackson/Bekker----Bradl./Chap/Oso----Delgado
Morrow-----Caldwell----New?/Hagg----Bloom
-----------------------Bendik-----------------------------

Is this wishful thinking or did I miss getting rid of Oduro?

Haha. In seriousness, this looks pretty amazing. Bring on the CB!

Milanista
01-19-2015, 09:27 AM
I read he will be here in June...Now wonder if he has something in his contract that allows him to play in serie a for some time when our season is done?

brad
01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
I read he will be here in June...Now wonder if he has something in his contract that allows him to play in serie a for some time when our season is done?

I recall reading in one if the articles that he would have a clause in his contract stating that he can go on loan in the offseason

BuSaPuNk
01-19-2015, 09:46 AM

I certainly hope not. Lets learn from the past will we. Defoe did the same signed in January and went back to Tottenham. Then injury mania happens midseason.

I would like to think that these things are not being worked out before time. You loan a player out if there not playing enough or yo keep them in a squad to at least be a bench player ect.

If were commuting these dollars to Giovinco I want to make sure we finally protect an asset that were signing long term.

Fort York Redcoat
01-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I also would be up for the Reds signing a player from Ghana, love to see that vibe make a return to BMO Field.

Oduro doesn't count?

He should.

CB I could've sworn we had this convo during the U-20 WWC. We saw Ghana come out en masse for that match and sing for both teams and thought, damn! Can't Oduro get some of that love?!?

Anyway,

The Italian community has felt slighted and under represented so this signing shouldn't do anything to worsen that, regardless of how many other facets could be utilized. (See Montreal Impact FWIW)

brad
01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
I certainly hope not. Lets learn from the past will we. Defoe did the same signed in January and went back to Tottenham. Then injury mania happens midseason.

I would like to think that these things are not being worked out before time. You loan a player out if there not playing enough or yo keep them in a squad to at least be a bench player ect.

If were commuting these dollars to Giovinco I want to make sure we finally protect an asset that were signing long term.

While I agree 100%, if the player comes back and says he wants a clause in stating he can go back and play in the off-season or he's not coming, what do you do? Walk away?

Folks that follow the Azzurri more closely than I do can correct me if I'm wronger here, but I'm guessing those off season loan stints in the Serie A are probably going to be needed to keep him in contention for the National Team. I'm guessing he's not giving up on that at 28.

Fort York Redcoat
01-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Oduro doesn't count?

While I agree 100%, if the player comes back and says he wants a clause in stating he can go back and play in the off-season or he's not coming, what do you do? Walk away?

Folks that follow the Azzurri more closely than I do can correct me if I'm wronger here, but I'm guessing those off season loan stints in the Serie A are probably going to be needed to keep him in contention for the National Team. I'm guessing he's not giving up on that at 28.

Yikes. 28 is the cutoff IMO for most players to play in 2 leagues for all year round play. Granted he is more of a sub there but his time here needs to be impressive to just keep his spot internationally. We'll see.

brad
01-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Signing Giovinco is absolutely incredible and I am still in disbelief. My biggest concern is that he will not be available until July, hope we can work something out to have him here before preseason and that would guarantee us a playoff spot.

My biggest concern is that he will not adapt an/or get frustrated at playing a lower quality of football and decide he wants to go back home. The reality for him is that he's going to be playing alongside some good players like Bradley, and alongside some guys that would struggle to get a game in Serie D (or lower). None of this is a specific concern with Giovinco - but a concern with any DP coming from a higher pedigree.

Also - it is highly unlikely that he alone guarantees us a playoff spot. We need a solid team around him and Vanney to coach them in a competent way for that to happen.

brad
01-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Yikes. 28 is the cutoff IMO for most players to play in 2 leagues for all year round play. Granted he is more of a sub there but his time here needs to be impressive to just keep his spot internationally. We'll see.

I wonder how his time in the MLS will be viewed from the Italian National team perspective. Assuming he does well, and we do well, will he still be in contention? Or will they look down on our league as so many other foreign leagues do.

I don't like the whole "going back on loan thing" for obvious reasons, but I think it is a necessary poison at this stage of our league if we want to attract quality foreign players in their prime.

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 10:12 AM

His contract ends at the end of the Serie A season. So by us taking him in July means we don't pay a transfer fee.

sidvan
01-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Presser at 1 pM today http://www.torontofc.ca/live

Areathrasher
01-19-2015, 10:16 AM
I wonder how his time in the MLS will be viewed from the Italian National team perspective. Assuming he does well, and we do well, will he still be in contention? Or will they look down on our league as so many other foreign leagues do.

I don't like the whole "going back on loan thing" for obvious reasons, but I think it is a necessary poison at this stage of our league if we want to attract quality foreign players in their prime.

His NT is more than likely done. Conte does really like him though so I wouldn't completely write off a call up at some point.

brad
01-19-2015, 10:17 AM
His NT is more than likely done. Conte does really like him though so I wouldn't completely write off a call up at some point.

You have to think his lack of playing time affects that though. He has two appearances this year and hardly played last year

I am 100% okay with it being over though - we won't lose him to internationally tournaments in the summer.

BuSaPuNk
01-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Agreed its a tough call both on the team and player.

I would like it not to happen but if its in the contact we have to live with it. The only thing would be the club should havethe decision on what club he plays at imo.

If he were to go out on loan Bez and Co. should be the ones to pick a team that plays a similar style that we employ or a different style all together that they might be leaning towards adopting.

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 10:26 AM

This will be interesting. Look at a guy like Cahill - he was a beast the last World Cup.
over the past few World Cups - US are constantly playing spoilers to big teams.
There's a lot more player movement between MLS and European clubs.

I think the league is maturing both at the club level and the international level. People are taking notice that it's a decent league that has the ability to prodce decent players.

However, reality is - at the prime of his career - he didn't make the last world cup squad.
Also to note - of the top 5 countries of the world, I don't think any had an MLS player on it. This included Italy. Majority of thier players are pulled from their own country league with a splattering of international club players.

I think it's safe to say he won't be getting a call

Fort York Redcoat
01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

I'm making a generalization that I hope is wrong but I doubt that a nation that has similar self import as England would be challenged to find much worth in our league. Much like our fellow from Sunderland in this board just last week. Then to take into account how most here with Italian backgrounds view the game here I wouldn't be too hopeful that, like Defoe's stay here, Giovinco's status improves. I'd love to be proved wrong.

This is actually a relief to me. He can concentrate on "tearing this league up" and not be distracted by his status with the national team.

Mark TFC
01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Just WOW

I REALLY hope Gilberto stays!

Red4ever
01-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Also to note - of the top 5 countries of the world, I don't think any had an MLS player on it.

*Cough* Julio Cesar *cough*

Nodoubtguy
01-19-2015, 10:49 AM

That one still blows my mind

Kaz
01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
So if Giovinco is coming in July, he isn't on the roster till then, and we can keep Gilberto to at least that time and there is no transfer fee.

Wheeler indicated we'd have to get rid of Gilberto before the season starts, and there is a transfer fee.... so either he knows something is happening now... or he is mistaken and talking out of his bum. Either could be true..

So here is a thought.. what if we are paying a transfer fee and bring him in now?

Ageroo
01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
So if Giovinco is coming in July, he isn't on the roster till then, and we can keep Gilberto to at least that time and there is no transfer fee.

Wheeler indicated we'd have to get rid of Gilberto before the season starts, and there is a transfer fee.... so either he knows something is happening now... or he is mistaken and talking out of his bum. Either could be true..

So here is a thought.. what if we are paying a transfer fee and bring him in now?

Unless the 4th DP spot gets added as part of a new CBA before season starts...TFC has to be roster compliant by season start. I think putting pen to paper for Giovinco would classify him as on the roster. Hopefully 4th DP spot is coming as has been rumoured.

jloome
01-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Unless the 4th DP spot gets added as part of a new CBA before season starts...TFC has to be roster compliant by season start. I think putting pen to paper for Giovinco would classify him as on the roster. Hopefully 4th DP spot is coming as has been rumoured.

That's probably the gamble; they'll have suitors lined up if it isn't in there; but it probably will be.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Isn't the other issue is that the transfer window closes end of this month so we couldn't transfer him outside the league?

barticusz
01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Isn't the other issue is that the transfer window closes end of this month so we couldn't transfer him outside the league?

Very good point pdubs! If anything this will be the time to get rid of him because they just don't knwo what the CBA will entail.

brad
01-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Very good point pdubs! If anything this will be the time to get rid of him because they just don't knwo what the CBA will entail.

The transfer window does not matter here. Teams are free to negotiate transfers outside of the window, but the player can't actually move clubs until a window. So they could negotiate a summer transfer after the January window, but it would not take effect until the summer window opens.

Kaz
01-19-2015, 12:06 PM

Why? he is playing for another team.. you can't be on two rosters at once. Worse case is he is signed and loaned back.

Either way he isn't on the roster and there is no need for gilberto to have to be sold by the dead line.

TFC Tifoso
01-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Good on you to remember Chinaglia. He had an ego that made it possible for him to dominate the NASL and survive in NY. I hope that Giovinco speaks some English - I think lack of same was a problem for Gilberto.

thanks, but it was kinda easy to remember......big Italian names generally don't leave Serie A so when they do it sticks in my mind.......Chinaglia was a big personality......story goes he made Pele cry when they were both with the Cosmos lol......

hopefully Seba finds an easy transition here......Bradley speaks Italian so that should help some......

jloome
01-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Why? he is playing for another team.. you can't be on two rosters at once. Worse case is he is signed and loaned back.

Either way he isn't on the roster and there is no need for gilberto to have to be sold by the dead line.

As someone on mlssoccer suggested, we could always pull a Man City: sell him to TFC2 for a dollar, pay him the same salary there, but loan him back to Toronto FC without a wage cap hit.

TFC Tifoso
01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
I did not believe that this would happen. I was shocked at Bradely, this is even more shocking, but much like Bradley he was not playing much at Juve. Size is the only knock on this guy, other then that he is world class talent. A true 10. Juve play a 3-5-2, the mids tend to be two way players, or pure wingers so not much room for him if he is not playing as a SS.

If he signs he has to get the 10 shirt. Our first real 10.

I just someone who watches more Juve then me, that he is not good as a 10 and better wide. That is not what I have seen. But then I do not follow Juve. I always see him as a SS.

Juve is my team and I think he can play either No. 10 or wide......he is good at both imo......he should not play as a striker though.......too weak inside the box.....

Areathrasher
01-19-2015, 12:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7uu5TBIMAEmV20.jpg

pdubs
01-19-2015, 12:50 PM
i think that is #10 :)

mowe
01-19-2015, 12:51 PM

I like it.

Seriously hyped for this press conference!

Wagner
01-19-2015, 12:51 PM
thanks for sharing.
keep it coming.

Super
01-19-2015, 12:57 PM
As someone on mlssoccer suggested, we could always pull a Man City: sell him to TFC2 for a dollar, pay him the same salary there, but loan him back to Toronto FC without a wage cap hit.

I'm sure the MLS would object to such a move.

shwade
01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
TSN?

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:02 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-live/

Red CB Toronto
01-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Its on Goal and Sportsnet 1

notthesun
01-19-2015, 01:04 PM
On mobile so can't link, but check out Andrew Wenger's latest tweet. Talk about jealous.

"They hate us cause they ain't us."

jabbronies

yaaaaa....I forgot about that 1

shwade
Thanks

brad
01-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Giovinco coming in July. Bradley and Atlidore will be at the Gold Cup at that time. It's likely going to be near end of July before we see all three on the field together.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Andrew Wenger @andrewwenger (https://twitter.com/andrewwenger) · 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/andrewwenger/status/557227016244953088)

Personally I am a bit over these "Major Player Announcements" from across the border.. We get it, you have unlimited funds

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4PdPGuFCCs&feature=youtu.be

Canary10
01-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Seems clear to me Gilberto is gone from this press conference.

shwade
01-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Shit...neither of them seems to be mentioning Gilberto.

fdasilva
01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Anyone else noticing the weird forehead action from Dave Hopkinson when he speaks? It's like my eyes are transfixed.

TFC07
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
According to Vanney, he will play as SS or AM (play underneath Jozy. Vanney not mentioning about Gilberto at all)

Red CB Toronto
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
TL must just hate being held to being behind the scenes these days, thought he was going to be front and centre today.

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 01:18 PM
So they are going to play him in the middle of the pitch. Is this a good thing?

InDa_110
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Well, as an Italian-Canadian I'm happy to see this move.

As a TFC Fan I'm very happy.

As someone who has voiced his displeasure many times about paying for a crummy product, even though I paid my deposit I was still on the fence.... to which I can only say the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

shwade
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Bez throwing Shade at defoe

kwhisperer
01-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Seems counter intuitive not to want to keep both of your most talented players and put them on the field together. (Unless this is Gil's desire or a necessity because of the rules.....)

brad
01-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Kind of crazy that he is making the same sort of salary that the top Serie A players make. But I guess that is what it takes to get a player like that over here.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
So they are going to play him in the middle of the pitch. Is this a good thing?

sound like 4-2-3-1 Clearly mentioning Bradley behind him. He will have the ball a lot which is great.

edit- Vanney also made it quite clear he would play behind Jozy.

Ultra & Proud
01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Most likely if CBA doesn't change or if big offers come in then he's out. Right now I don't take silence on him as anything other than being coy around CBA uncertainty.

Fort York Redcoat
01-19-2015, 01:24 PM

As someone who has voiced his displeasure many times about paying for a crummy product, even though I paid my deposit I was still on the fence.... to which I can only say the following:

How does it feel to be a target market? g:D

Everything I read looks to mean a great summer for us.

barticusz
01-19-2015, 01:24 PM
sound like 4-2-3-1 Clearly mentioning Bradley behind him. He will have the ball a lot which is great.

Please please please.. this is my preferred formation..

Defoe
01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
getting nervous one of these boneheads won't ask about Gilberto

Initial B
01-19-2015, 01:26 PM
^ They're probably under orders not to.

Milanista
01-19-2015, 01:26 PM
gilberto is gone ppl, his name hasnt been mentioned once

C.Ronaldo
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Andrew Wenger @andrewwenger (https://twitter.com/andrewwenger) · 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/andrewwenger/status/557227016244953088)

Personally I am a bit over these "Major Player Announcements" from across the border.. We get it, you have unlimited funds

I dont get it, does he want to be a commentator? Why these random comments

Defoe
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
there we go, Gilberto gone... Big mistake.

Canary10
01-19-2015, 01:29 PM
getting nervous one of these boneheads won't ask about Gilberto

Just did. I'd be shocked if he's back. ^ Yup.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Doesn't sound like he is back based on the answer. However if CBA adds another DP maybe another one for us come the summer

edit- Giovinco doesn't count as DP till July. But lack of Gilberto talk is a little strange.

brad
01-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Giovinco doesn't count as a 3rd DP until July, so in theory we could keep Gilberto until then.

Milanista
now trade some big ticket guys and blow ur brains out on d-men please

jloome
there we go, Gilberto gone... Big mistake.

He didn't actually say that. He said three DPs by March 1.

That gives them a month-and-a-half to restructure his contract, so that they can pay him down with allocation. It's possible; they can use up to 700K against it, I believe. So if they can back-end it with bonuses and get him down to a million a season, we could keep him.

I think people have to consider, too, however, that based on his overall cost and production last year, plus his inability to learn English with no other Portuguese speakers on the team, they may be playing the odds and taking the money they can get for him while it's available. Maybe someone in Liga MX facing relegation would pay a premium.

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Also, if he's not on the roster until July, they may be just being tactful about contract negotiations. Technically, we'd still only have three dps on march 1; the fourth isn't ours until his Juve deal expires. So we don't actually have a problem until he gets here. Then, we have a big problem. So they'll have three on the roster now, and if we sell Gilberto anyway, it means Bez really doesn't know if there's a fourth DP in the CBA. If we keep until it's negotiated, we know where the owners stand.

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Giovinco doesn't count as a 3rd DP until July, so in theory we could keep Gilberto until then.

Oops, just saw this! Point already made.

mowe
01-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Definitely sounds like Gilberto is gone, now or July at the latest.

Ultra & Proud
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
jloome is thinking the same thing I am.

I am just wondering if any of the rumored Liga MX offers is very high and if they are looking at doing something to free up space for Perquis. Going to be a very interesting wait to see what the CBA holds.

Fort York Redcoat
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFcDTbh8Hng8TIFC2_l4xzxqIu9hENA 66MnHbID1CQVhITSkkGbg

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Sounds like 4-2-3-1 with Jozy lone striker. Maybe we look for upgrade on wing or DM if a 4th DP is added.

Canary10
01-19-2015, 01:39 PM
He scored 7 goals last year. I like him personally but that's hardly irreplaceable. A good right back could score 7.

Ultra & Proud
01-19-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm not putting much into anything Bez says. He has been playing his cards close to his chest the whole time and I think everything he says or doesn't say to the media is very calculated. Saying the whole 3 DP compliance schtick is just toeing the company line until the new CBA is done and dusted. I'm not getting up in arms until the CBA shoe drops.

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Unless we get a solid offer from a foreign club, I don't see why management wouldn't start the season with Gilberto in the lineup. Four months is a long time, and with our brutal schedule to open the season, we are going to need all the help we can get until Giovinco is in our starting lineup.

Milanista
01-19-2015, 01:44 PM
yeah true, BEZ already knows if the 4th dp will be added. He already knows if Gilberto will be on this team or not, but he can't come out and say it bc thats inside info.

Huyton
01-19-2015, 01:45 PM
I hope, that if worse comes to worst and Gilberto has to go, that we'll get a chance to thank him.

Canary10
01-19-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm not putting much into anything Bez says. He has been playing his cards close to his chest the whole time and I think everything he says or doesn't say to the media is very calculated. Saying the whole 3 DP compliance schtick is just toeing the company line until the new CBA is done and dusted. I'm not getting up in arms until the CBA shoe drops.

Maybe, but I think there's already a deal. It sounded past tense the way they talked about him, and the way they talked about how they'll be setting up.

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:51 PM

They've got some art worked up already:

https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Fhphotos-xaf1%2Ft51.2885-15%2Fe15%2F10914646_711139235667754_389345606_n.jp g&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fscontent-b.cdninstagram.com&s=606&h=abda025722ac0d105b8e03e0dfcafcc515b4095bbd12bc08 b2d7f4fd7885ed7d&size=980x&c=1569546159

Mark TFC
01-19-2015, 01:51 PM
If a fourth DP slot isn't added and Gilberto leaves, I'll be pissed we didn't just sign Giovinco and not Altidore. If that's the case, we're losing a proven hard worker and goalscorer for a risk.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nziZn-53XM

jloome
01-19-2015, 01:52 PM
The new Gol TV reporter is going to be famous. She's quite excellent, by local TV standards.

Defoe
01-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Maybe, but I think there's already a deal. It sounded past tense the way they talked about him, and the way they talked about how they'll be setting up.

I agree. It's pretty clear he's gone. Anything short of a miracle and it seems Gilberto is gone, i'm pretty disappointed he's my favourite player and I bought his jersey. I think he can score 20 goals in MLS. He has experience in this league, didn't have great chemistry with Defoe but scored 7 goals after a terrible start and not linking up well with Defoe. He has a lot to prove and he's a good character guy, wants to win, wants to be better. He's scored a lot of goals in a very good competitive Brazlian league, I don't buy that Altidore is more proven and we will be that much better paying him 4 x as much. It just seems hard to get better when we have to always get rid of players because of MLS rules, first Laba now G. I won't complain, just the way it is. I just really enjoyed watching Gilberto play for TFC. TFC is investing a lot more money into this then my 100 dollars on a jersey... I just hope they fill out the roster. I'm not allowing my self to get excited this time and I don't think they want or expect us to either.

Milanista
01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
MLSE is spending like mad bc they feel MLS will only grow much bigger in the coming years...if footy continues to grow in NA and TFC starts playing like an elite team, sponsors and fans will flock to the stadium like mad...Just need this to all come together and the rest will take care of itself

pdubs
01-19-2015, 01:56 PM
If a fourth DP slot isn't added and Gilberto leaves, I'll be pissed we didn't just sign Giovinco and not Altidore. If that's the case, we're losing a proven hard worker and goalscorer for a risk.

In club play Jozy has been bad. For USMNT 2013-2014, 24 appearances, 12 goals. With the defending quality drop from EPL to MLS I think Jozy will be fine. Especially once Giovinco is running the offense.

TFC07
01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
The new Gol TV reporter is going to be famous. She's quite excellent, by local TV standards.

I believe you're talking about Danielle Emanuele, right?

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 01:59 PM
-------------------- Altidore ----------------------
Osorio ------------ Giovinco ------------- Oduro
-----------Bradley -------------- Warner --------
Morrow ---- Caldwell ---- Hagglund ---- Bloom
--------------------- Bendik ----------------------

Auzzy
01-19-2015, 02:00 PM
The league is in the middle of CBA negotiations. TFC is in the middle of a whole bunch of negotiations. I would not get worked up at all about anything they said about DPs in general, and Gilberto in particular. Doesn't mean he's staying or leaving -- right now there is absolutely no way to know either way.

TOBOR !
01-19-2015, 02:00 PM

Agreed. She won't be around for long. Some bigger fish will come calling soon.

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 02:01 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/HGhKezg7kOQ/maxresdefault.jpg

InDa_110
01-19-2015, 02:03 PM
How does it feel to be a target market? g:D

Everything I read looks to mean a great summer for us.

Haha... it's Nice! Makes perfect sense as a business decision. if you need to sell some 8000 soccer tickets in Toronto, there's not really a better bet than tapping into the Italian community. Can't wait until next year (2016) especially: roof on the stadium, an Italian on the pitch, and a subway stop at Jane and 7. Lol

I think this is long overdue. Last guy from an Italian family we had has his number on the wall, and we sing a song about him in the 24th minute of every game.

mowe
01-19-2015, 02:03 PM
-------------------- Altidore ----------------------
Osorio ------------ Giovinco ------------- Oduro
-----------Bradley -------------- Warner --------
Morrow ---- Caldwell ---- Hagglund ---- Bloom
--------------------- Bendik ----------------------

Upgrade Warner, Oduro, and Hagglund and we have a team ladies and gentlemen!

Would be very comfortable with our chances then.

pdubs
01-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian) 14s15 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/557251532622528512)
Giovinco's agent: "This is an offer we have been waiting for. We are tired of talk. This is a real project."

jloome
01-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Yeah; she actually had the balls to ask the Gilberto question, and the tact to do it without pissing of the bosses. I see big things. In media, those are usually divergent skill sets; the best reporters and writers have never had tact with their employers. She'll probably end up running Corus or something.

Ultra & Proud
01-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Upgrade Warner, Oduro, and Hagglund and we have a team ladies and gentlemen!

Would be very comfortable with our chances then.
Findley in for Osorio or Oduro and still need another wide player upgrade.

Milanista
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/HGhKezg7kOQ/maxresdefault.jpg

i am in love

Yohan
Yeah; she actually had the balls to ask the Gilberto question, and the tact to do it without pissing of the bosses. I see big things. In media, those are usually divergent skill sets; the best reporters and writers have never had tact with their employers. She'll probably end up running Corus or something.
we've been lacking a TFC beat reporter that can replace Andi Petrillo in eye candy department ;)

jloome
01-19-2015, 02:07 PM
we've been lacking a TFC beat reporter that can replace Andi Petrillo in eye candy department ;)

Yeah, that doesn't hurt either.

Defoe
01-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Findley in for Osorio or Oduro and still need another wide player upgrade.

I agree with this. I believe our success will be determined on the play of Findley, Delgado, NEW CB, Morrow etc more so then our DP'S. It's pretty evident they will miss some time away with the USMNT at the Gold Cup and Giovinco coming over to play 19 games (how rested will he be?) Our DP'S will help us in the playoffs, but we need the other 15 of 18 guys to get us to the playoffs.

TearsForCheers
01-19-2015, 02:15 PM

I think Bez chose his words carefully, but did you notice that Vanney splipped up a bit? He said "our three, four, three key guys..." - when I heard that it told me Gil is gone but Vanney forgot the party line.

brad
01-19-2015, 02:17 PM

I really hope we keep Gilberto - but a 7 goals in 28 appearances I'd hardly call Gilberto a proven goal scorer in this league. Jozy is also a hard worker, and despite flipping in the EPL he scored a ton in holland.

Milanista
01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
lol who would of thought we would ever see TFC facebook page, change their display picture and it has a player rocking the italian national team jersey...wow how times have changed!

EastYork
01-19-2015, 02:20 PM
If there is not a 4th DP spot added and Gilberto is gone, I for one won't be upset. I will take Altidore over Gilberto anytime. I truly have a feeling Altidore will have a huge year for us, especially now having Giovinco feeding him the ball. Can't wait until July when our new number 10 puts on the Red jersey and the magic begins.

brad
01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't read much about what Bez said about preparing for 3 DP's to be honest. He said "the league told us to prepare for 3 DP's" which is exactly what I would expect the league to say, and exactly what I would expect Bez to say - regardless of what is happening with the CBA and a 4th slot.

Derko
01-19-2015, 02:37 PM
lol who would of thought we would ever see TFC facebook page, change their display picture and it has a player rocking the italian national team jersey...wow how times have changed!

It really is about "Bloody Time" that happened.

Canary10
01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't read much about what Bez said about preparing for 3 DP's to be honest. He said "the league told us to prepare for 3 DP's" which is exactly what I would expect the league to say, and exactly what I would expect Bez to say - regardless of what is happening with the CBA and a 4th slot.

To me it wasn't the discussion about the number of DPs and the CBA, it was the complete silence on Gilberto when they were discussing future plans and how the team was going to set up. Tell me, if you're Gilberto and there is still a chance you could be with the team, would you not be pissed if you're not mentioned in how Giovinco will line up with the forwards? It felt like a deal is already done to me. And if not, what is the message they're sending to the player?

jloome
01-19-2015, 02:41 PM
To me it wasn't the discussion about the number of DPs and the CBA, it was the complete silence on Gilberto when they were discussing future plans and how the team was going to set up. Tell me, if you're Gilberto and there is still a chance you could be with the team, would you not be pissed if you're not mentioned in how Giovinco will line up with the forwards? It felt like a deal is already done to me. And if not, what is the message they're sending to the player?

They'll have talked to him privately about all of this before the presser, if they're doing their jobs. This isn't Mo, Canary.

brad
01-19-2015, 02:43 PM

He'll never know - he doesn't speak English. :-)

But I get your point - it's a valid one.

Canary10
They'll have talked to him privately about all of this before the presser, if they're doing their jobs. This isn't Mo, Canary.

Well, sometimes I'm not sure about that - this was one of those press conferences that made me lose confidence in Banney. But good point though. Hopefully that's how it went down.

Red4ever
Gotta love Toronto sports fans.

7 goals for Gila, but if he works his ass off, all is forgiven. Only in this town could excellent role players such as Darcy Tucker, Junk Yard Dog, Gilberto, Johnny Mac and a million others who haven't won anything be celebrated and missed like they won championships.

Everyone loves a guy who "works hard" but they are a dime a dozen. Gila goes, we get salary to shore up the D and Atidore scores at least double the goals.

next.

Canary10
01-19-2015, 02:45 PM

7 goals for Gila, but if he works his ass off, all is forgiven. Only in this town could excellent role players such as Darcy Tucker, Junk Yard Dog, Gilberto, Johnny Mac and a million others who haven't won anything be celebrated and missed like they won championships.

Everyone loves a guy who "works hard" but they are a dime a dozen. Gila goes, we get salary to sure up the D and Atidore scores at least double the goals.

next.

Ha, I'm kind of with you on that tbh. A good right back could replace Gilberto's goal output.

Milanista
01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
man so many ppl saying "wayyy to much money, way over paid" well i say shut up....Of course he is overpaid but in MLS teams can only really overpay for 3 players, teams in europe really cant do that bc they have to fill an entire roster with guys all making good $$.

RealG-TFC
01-19-2015, 02:55 PM

Everyone loves a guy who "works hard" but they are a dime a dozen. Gila goes, we get salary to shore up the D and Atidore scores at least double the goals.

next.

My word you really have a vendetta against him. Did he hit on your or or something?

Are we going to pretend like "working hard" isn't exactly what we love Bradley for.

TFC/Everton
01-19-2015, 02:57 PM

next.

Cal drops the mic.

Couldn't agree more.

Red4ever
01-19-2015, 03:03 PM
My word you really have a vendetta against him. Did he hit on your or or something?

Are we going to pretend like "working hard" isn't exactly what we love Bradley for.

I think we love Bradley cause he is a World Class player who can put the ball on a dime from 35 yards.

It's cool if you like him, I think he's replaceable. A lot of people were glad to see Defoe go, see deguzman go, see cunningham go. I'm fine if Gilberto's gone, especially if it means bringing in defenders.

lobo
01-19-2015, 03:20 PM

exactly my thoughts ... but it sounds like Bradley really wanted his buddy Jozy here, and I suspect that was the real weight behind the swap for Defoe.

jabbronies
01-19-2015, 03:21 PM
I think we love Bradley cause he is a World Class player who can put the ball on a dime from 35 yards.

It's cool if you like him, I think he's replaceable. A lot of people were glad to see Defoe go, see deguzman go, see cunningham go. I'm fine if Gilberto's gone, especially if it means bringing in defenders.

Our defence needs serious help. Caldwell, god love him, but his legs are only getting slower.
hagglunds not ready to step up as a number 1 guy. That position will kill us this year.

I'm no Gilberto sympathizer - There are pages on this board where I'm all for getting rid of him.
however, I'd like to give him another chance. I'm under the impression that he just found his legs in this league at the tail end of the season - where all of his production came from.

However, there is that defensive black hole problem right up the middle that we have...

Side note: wasn;t Gilberto was the previous regimes buy?

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Gilberto was the first DP acquired by Leiweke.

WestStandGeoff
01-19-2015, 03:36 PM

I'm not counting those chickens before they hatch... sure it wasn't a discussion about the number of DPs and the CBA, but in reality they still need to play within the current set of rules until changes are made.

So was the silence because they're moving Gilberto and are trying to do it in a classy way? Maybe. Was the silence because they expect an additional DP spot in the upcoming CBA, but don't need to keep their mouths shut until a deal is done? Equally maybe.

I liked Gilberto last year, especially how he performed after he seemed to find his place in the team, and hope he's going to stay. But at this point in time, if you're inferring that Gilberto is out because of what wasn't said at the Giovinco presser, that's a bit of 2+2=5 math.

Oldtimer
01-19-2015, 04:00 PM
PM is very excited, I guess he must have seen Giovinco's Youtube clips :D:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2250365/juventus-sebastian-giovinco-signs-deal-with-toronto-fcreports-say

Canary10
01-19-2015, 04:09 PM
PM is very excited, I guess he must have seen Giovinco's Youtube clips :D:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2250365/juventus-sebastian-giovinco-signs-deal-with-toronto-fcreports-say

Like the line about not seeing such great finishing since a young Andrew Wiedeman.

Thomas
01-19-2015, 04:53 PM
When you strip the emotion out of the equation...I think you are kind of right. There is only so much to go around, and another couple of pieces need major attention

next.

xDerekRx
01-19-2015, 05:32 PM

But Bradleys position fits incredibly well with the working hard title. You want your MF to be work rate generals. I want my striker to be clinical and skilled if possible. Chad Barrett had a great work rate too as a striker...

Oldtimer
01-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Even made the news in Australia:

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/juventus-sebastian-giovinco-to-join-mls-club-toronto-fc-20150119-12tspm.html

TFCwestcan
01-19-2015, 06:18 PM
BBC football

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30877096

Abou Sky
01-19-2015, 08:14 PM
MLSE is spending like mad bc they feel MLS will only grow much bigger in the coming years...if footy continues to grow in NA and TFC starts playing like an elite team, sponsors and fans will flock to the stadium like mad...Just need this to all come together and the rest will take care of itself

Nobody does sports like America, I went to a Royals game on a Wednesday night and there were probably 500 people out for a tailgate.

High school football draws 55k people to championships, a normal high school stadium seats a few thousand, going out on a Friday night to watch the local high school team is the norm for many.

Soccer is catching on quickly, soon enough $7m/year in MLS won't turn a single head.

Now I just hope that TFC is a Real Madrid or Bayern Munich of the league, not some team perpetually stuck in the middle of the table.

Batman
01-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Nobody does sports like America, I went to a Royals game on a Wednesday night and there were probably 500 people out for a tailgate.

High school football draws 55k people to championships, a normal high school stadium seats a few thousand, going out on a Friday night to watch the local high school team is the norm for many.

Soccer is catching on quickly, soon enough $7m/year in MLS won't turn a single head.

Now I just hope that TFC is a Real Madrid or Bayern Munich of the league, not some team perpetually stuck in the middle of the table.

Middle of the table sounds pretty good after what we've been through. :drum:

jloome
01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Middle of the table sounds pretty good after what we've been through. :drum:

LOL, "You might be a veteran TFC fan if..."

Yohan
01-19-2015, 11:03 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bezbatchenko-defoe-put-us-on-the-international-map/

Tim B talking about Giovinco and Defoe. worth listening to

Milanista
01-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Splitting the Atom: Giovinco’s wasted or unfulfilled Juventus talentJoin the Forza Italian Football writing team in 2015. Think you know Calcio? APPLY NOW!!! (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/11/writers-wanted-at-forza-italian-football-apply-within-2/)Sebastian Giovinco (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/sebastian-giovinco/) will finally turn his back on Serie A (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/serie-a/), eight years after having been promoted to the first-team of his boyhood club Juventus (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/juventus/). As he embarks for new adventures in Canada with Toronto FC (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/toronto-fc/) however, both the 27-year-old and fans might find themselves wondering what could have been of his Calcio career.
It all started in the in the summer of the 2008 Toulon Tournament in France, which augured great things for the playmaker. Giovinco inspired the U-21 Italy (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/italy/) team to win the tournament, being nominated its best player. The Italian was unstoppable and showed great maturity in the responsibilities he took on the field, whether it was in conducting play or taking set-pieces. When it came to the professional level however, his lilliputian stature proved too much of a handicap.
Giovinco enjoyed a respectable maiden season but struggled the following year with the Bianconeri. With his Juventus career quickly stagnating, Giovinco went on loan to Parma (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/parma/) with an option for co-ownership at the end of the season. Parma (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/parma/) proved more fertile grounds for Giovinco, with the club exercising their right to purchase 50 per cent of the player’s rights. Two years at Parma (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/parma/) generated 22 goals in 66 appearances, until he finally returned once more to Juventus.
His spell at Parma had also opened the doors of the Italy national team for Giovinco. However, his Juventus comeback did not prove the triumphant return he would have had hoped. Alessandro De Piero, the man he had always been touted to become the heir of early in his career, had since left Juventus and vacated the no.10 shirt — Giovinco received the no.12 shirt.
It may have seemed innocuous at first, but in hindsight, it represents the events in Giovinco’s career that encapsulate something that simply might have never been meant to be. As exciting a talent as Giovinco was, maybe his size was something that was never going to allow him to excel at the highest level. Giovinco often found himself too easily muscled off the ball, dribbling into blind alleys or simply trying too hard to prove himself.
When he first started at Juventus, the switch of formation to a 4-4-2 impeded him as well as the presence of more seasoned and expensive players such as Del Piero and Diego (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/diego/). His success away from Turin when at Parma hints that all may have simply not been Giovinco’s fault. After all, he only stagnated once more upon his Bianconeri return.
Today, Italy coach Antonio Conte (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/tag/antonio-conte/) seems to trust Giovinco despite his lack of playing time at Juventus. All these factors make it difficult to truly elucidate the mystery that is Giovinco’s career. It perhaps was always simply an issue of Giovinco having had the potential/ability to make a respectable Serie A career… but just not at Juventus.
One can only hope that Giovinco can find some peace of mind and once again start enjoying his football in Toronto. Serie A fans however, who seldom had much to say of the Italian other than some unsavory short jokes, might finally be wondering if they missed out on an unfulfilled or a simply misunderstood talent.
Of course answering that question, discerning from Giovinco and the boy they call the Formica Atomica, would be equivalent to splitting the atom.

brad
01-20-2015, 10:59 AM

Fun fact - she was in the top five for the TFC Dream Job contest a few years back.

Wince
01-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Deadspin has a real hate on for MLS (http://screamer.deadspin.com/mls-is-putting-the-fix-in-for-toronto-fc-right-before-1680428108/+billyhaisley)

They have declared the Giovinco move as "rigged" to make Toronto one of the top 3 clubs, and as you read you will love how they conveniently left out any mention of Defoe having moved back to England. The casual follower of MLS would believe we still have him based on this article.

redisthenewblk
01-20-2015, 01:54 PM
^ That article was BS. Sour Grapes and conspiracy theories. We got Giovinco with MLSE resources, not because MLS rigged it for us. The author seems to assume we are incapable of signing international players on our own? Just weird.

Red4ever
01-20-2015, 02:23 PM
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2015/01/billy-haisley-is-rigged/

The obligatory retort.

Wince
01-20-2015, 02:53 PM
It is so obviously biased.

First of all Defoe was signed before Bradley. Bradley just fell into our lap. Haisley misleads by suggesting TFC/MLS ​"added another pricy Designated Player in Englishman Jermaine Defoe to give Bradley some help".

He also fails to mention Defoe has moved back to England as part of the deal to bring in Altidore.

Finally, no mention that the new CBA will most likely see the creation of a 4th DP spot. If it does not, Gilberto will be on the way out as happened to Mattias Laba when Bradley was signed last season.

Seriously, this is some of the worst researched, biased pieces of tripe ever written. The guy infuriates me everytime I read something by him... which I guess is the point.

TFC07
01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
You know you're doing something right when you got people taking their time to write nasty articles about you.

EDIT: Is it me or do you guys get the feeling that a lot of MLS clubs, players, non-Toronto soccer media and hardcore MLS supporters fear (which ends up turning into hate) on TFC for these signings? We're making them look bad and cheap. Just imagine we end up becoming a winning and hopefully championship caliber team how much more hate comments and articles we will see online.

Canary10
01-20-2015, 03:03 PM
You know you're doing something right when you got people taking their time to write nasty articles about you.

EDIT: Is it me or do you guys get the feeling that a lot of MLS clubs, players, non-Toronto soccer media and hardcore MLS supporters fear (which ends up turning into hate) on TFC for these signings? We're making them look bad and cheap. Just imagine we end up becoming a winning and hopefully championship caliber team how much more hate comments and articles we will see online.

Don't think anyone is fearing or hating on TFC until we win something.

pdubs
01-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Until we actual produce a winning side on the field I don't think there will be much of an issue just a little complaining. If we win MLS Cup this season then a whole lot of hate will be directed at us I imagine especially from small markets.

TFC07
01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Don't think anyone is fearing or hating on TFC until we win something.

Well we're seeing hate already online from other fans and even a player on signings. Winning TFC will just push it over the top.

TFC07
01-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Until we actual produce a winning side on the field I don't think there will be much of an issue just a little complaining. If we win MLS Cup this season then a whole lot of hate will be directed at us I imagine especially from small markets.

Obviously, but chances of becoming a winning team increase when you get world class players to play for you. I am sure a lot of teams in MLS wish they had money to get top tier players like Giovinco to play for them.

EDIT: This is why I can see owners of small market teams not wanting to increase DP slots. It will hurt them more than help them improve their clubs.

pdubs
01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Obviously, but chances of becoming a winning team increase when you get world class players to play for you. I am sure a lot of teams in MLS wish they had money to get top tier players like Giovinco to play for them.

I would just point to Garber. He wants "the league to be one of the top in the world by 2022". This is how you do it, going after a core of young DP's hitting their prime, competing against teams in Europe for the talent. Lot's more to it then that but certain clubs need to lead the way.

The academy system and USL-PRO feeders clubs also play a major role in this. How do the small market teams ultimately compete? I don't know and then we get into the actual system and set up of MLS. It is why I am so intrigued and how much they advance with this CBA.

Canary10
01-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Well we're seeing hate already online from other fans and even a player on signings. Winning TFC will just push it over the top.

Yeah there's been a bit. If we're actually good, it'll pick up for sure, I agree. And that will be fun for us! There's been a lot of mocking too that we're still gonna suck.

brad
01-20-2015, 04:26 PM

Supporters are mixed based on what I have seen. Some hate, others are happy to see players of that magnitude in the league - regardless of where they are, as they see it as being fantastic for the development of the league overall.

Cashcleaner
01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
^ That article was BS. Sour Grapes and conspiracy theories. We got Giovinco with MLSE resources, not because MLS rigged it for us. The author seems to assume was are incapable of signing international players on our own? Just weird.

The thing is, let's say it was all part of a conspiracy. Shadowy room filled with rich old white guys and all that. MLS for some reason or another, wants TFC to succeed in 2015 (because Lord knows after so many years of zero play-off games it could be a nice change of pace). So they go and collude and conspire to bring all this talent here. Bradley, Defoe, Gilberto last season; and Altidore and Giovinco this season.

So exactly how is this different than what we can say, or have said about New York. Or Los Angeles. Or Seattle.

Odd how Haisley never called shenanigans when it certainly looked like those clubs were benefiting from MLS's weird and convoluted network of rules and restrictions for YEARS before TFC was allowed to get in on the act.

OgtheDim
01-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Haisley buys tin foil in bulk.

Areathrasher
01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
We might not have to wait until July
http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/juventus-giovinco-there-could-be-an-early-exit-the-situation/

mowe
01-20-2015, 06:35 PM
We might not have to wait until July
http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/juventus-giovinco-there-could-be-an-early-exit-the-situation/

BEST news!! That would be amazing1

notthesun
01-20-2015, 06:47 PM
That would be a nice turn of events considering Bez confirmed yesterday he'd arrive in July. Having him here from the start would be a huge help, particularly with the 7 games on the road to begin the season.

Fingers crossed.