PDA

View Full Version : Defoe Appreciation Thread

Ivy
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
FINALLY I GET TO MAKE ONE!!!

thanks for... Seattle, I guess? And making the gilberto goal in NY sooooo much sweeter.

OgtheDim
01-13-2015, 08:47 PM
His coming here made it respectable to be a TFC supporter again, for a few months.

And yes, we will always have Seattle.

MightyDM
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I see it differently. He gave everything on the field, until hurt, and is the best ever to play for us while still more or less at his peak. "Thank you" is the right thing to say.

Cuppy
01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Pissed that I wasted a jersey by placing his name on it.
First few months were great and again thanks for Gilberto taking the stage in New York.

mcolvy
01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
I won't miss 90 minutes of arms waving in the air, obnoxiously demanding the ball at all times. I will not miss the constant frustrated gestures to his teammates. I will surely not miss him whining to the referees every game, every play.

Honestly, his on-field attitude was the worst I have ever seen. Every opposing team was embarrassed FOR whichever one of our players he decided to pick on in that particular game. Just a classless act that I am so glad to get rid of. Zero appreciation here.

From my perspective, as a club and city, we did everything in our power to give Defoe a great experience. He was on 6 MIL salary with added bonuses (two houses). And yet, he still whined and bitched. Glad the clown is gone.

sully
01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Appreciated his natural talent, but in the end he came across as having a poor attitude, a lack of professionalism and focus.
Overall with this whole Defoe experience the thing that impressed me the most was when Leiweke said a few months ago that Defoe should get the hell out of the way if he didn't want to be here - that's the kind of culture I'd like at TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Appreciated how many renewals he made happen last year. I'm happy for the Spurs fans I know that had the time of their lives for a couple of months.

Thanks for scoring that many last year.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Biggest thing is, it was exactly one year ago today we all packed into Real Sports believing in this new future for the Reds, as TL said why not, The Bloody Big Deal, then a mess and now I guess a Deal once again.

Derko
01-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Cheerio. Goals were great, had all the hope, but was snuffed out. See you at Tesco somewhere in the North of England in September, might even buy you a beer.

JuliquE
01-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Was thrilled when he were announced, and admired his competitive spirit. That competitiveness, however, would sometimes get the better of him, when he might have taken things a bit too far; to his credit, he's readily admitted to this, in light-hearted videos surrounding the squad.

In the end, I was a fair bit down at how things developed, and I must say, should this transfer come to pass, I'll be almost as thrilled as when he arrived.. which, to be fair, has more to do with a fear that we might not have made back what we spent, as well as the prospect, in particular, of signing Giovinco, that's been rumoured—hoping this gives Gilberto a shot in the arm, as well.

Thanks for the goals; shame you couldn't settle, here.

Best of luck, then.

ensco
01-14-2015, 07:27 AM
He didn't actually get that many from the run of play (5 or 6 iirc) but the goal he scored late against Columbus at BMO, where he contorted himself to rifle a left footer in, that was maybe the greatest goal ever scored by a TFC player, in terms of skill exhibited and degree of difficulty. That was the best moment of his time here, a huge goal at the time.

He sure has talent.

We shouldn't have done this deal, and neither should he. Neither side did their homework properly. In my opinion: we did not realize why he was interested in coming, ie how much he was focused on getting PT to try to impress Hodgson, and what it would mean if that didn't work. He for his part did not really realize what the caliber of play and refereeing here is, or accept the leadership role that money like this, in this league, implies.

I think hating him is wrong, hope he scores a few more big goals before he is done.

Initial B
01-14-2015, 07:54 AM
I appreciate his skill and ability to get TFC's name put on the map. How many other european names may come in the future because they heard about TFC due to Defoe signing here? I wish him all the best and will always remember Seattle...

FRANKIE65
01-14-2015, 07:59 AM
He didn't actually get that many from the run of play (5 or 6 iirc) but the goal he scored late against Columbus at BMO, where he contorted himself to rifle a left footer in, that was maybe the greatest goal ever scored by a TFC player, in terms of skill exhibited and degree of difficulty. That was the best moment of his time here, a huge goal at the time.

He sure has talent.

We shouldn't have done this deal, and neither should he. Neither side did their homework properly. In my opinion: we did not realize why he was interested in coming, ie how much he was focused on getting PT to try to impress Hodgson, and what it would mean if that didn't work. He for his part did not really realize what the caliber of play and refereeing here is, or accept the leadership role that money like this, in this league, implies.

I think hating him is wrong, hope he scores a few more big goals before he is done.

THIS!!

Phil
01-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Happy he made a stop here, not thrilled about how it was done. Seems it was doomed from the start when his first time visiting the city was well after he signed. I think he is a great talent but maybe should get away from the family influence and be his own man.

Hope he goes on to do well and I do thank him for his time here.

scooter
01-14-2015, 08:28 AM
wish him well boys and girls lets not start the new year off negative
he gave us some thrills and goals and he pissed gilberto off enough that he finally scored
god bless him and lets welcome jozy

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 09:13 AM
I was glad to have a player like that on our team. I'm disappointed that things didn't work out for us or him. It is important to note the fact that a Prem team broke open their piggy bank to sign him shows that we had a player still at the top of his career and not one of those dudes looking for a soft landing.

Red4ever
01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Can understand the hate, not the vitriol.

All the best to Jermaine. He broadened TFC beyond the small circle of Toronto soccer die-hards and gave the club a some much needed flash. Should we do well this year, more eyes will be watching because of him. My only regret is that I didn't get to see him take that free kick against NYRB. Would have been magic.

ryan
01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
He had a positive impact on the club's status but is otherwise a little bitch. See ya.

Inklink
01-14-2015, 10:27 AM
So much promise when he signed. Great marketing asset for TFC on the global stage. Scored around a dozen goals but it all got sour really quickly. Bad attitude. So thanks for stopping by, those early weeks were awesome. Left on a negative note, however. Almost "I'm too good for you guys". Good riddance. Another suite at the TRUMP Hotel opens up with his departure.

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Glad to see that he was already in England and probably flew on his own dime. Thanks for saving us a flight ticket. Don't call or send mail.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks. Thing should have worked out much better though. There's no excuse for a 32 year old to act so immaturely. If you make a move you stick with it, you don't bail. Glad you got to go back to your homeland to play where you truly want to.

It was fun to watch him score for us though.

Red CB Toronto
01-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Glad to see that he was already in England and probably flew on his own dime. Thanks for saving us a flight ticket. Don't call or send mail.

Funny thing is the opener is Seattle is one of the great memorable moments in TFC's time, one supporters loved and will never forget.

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Funny thing is the opener is Seattle is one of the great memorable moments in TFC's time, one supporters loved and will never forget.

A stunning entrance for sure. But the downfall after really killed any memory of that day to me. Just makes me more angry with mommas boy.

OfficeGuy
01-14-2015, 11:58 AM
That Seattle game got me misty eyed ... thanks for the memories JD

As for how things played out - JD was a part of it, but the Leiwecke ego is the puppet master

ensco
01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4S2ALNKf8U#t=26

Damien
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the goals. Wish Gilberto pushed him into a pit of horny Gorillas.

TOBOR !
01-14-2015, 03:51 PM
pity about the overblown marketing - he was never going to live up to that. Hopefully that's lesson learned, MLSE.

Moved on a long time ago (me, and I suppose him as well to some degree).

Glad the Drama is done.

meh.

Batman
01-14-2015, 04:42 PM
pity about the overblown marketing - he was never going to live up to that. Hopefully that's lesson learned, MLSE.

Moved on a long time ago (me, and I suppose him as well to some degree).

Glad the Drama is done.

meh.

Ya, I think that was more about Liewicke than anything.

I'll never watch a Defoe match going forward.

I don't know what he was wanting from TFC, other than the pay cheque.
Nor do I even know why he signed in the first place if he wanted to be in the UK so badly.

His statements saying he never asked out, were disingenuous.

Good Riddance.

Sorry, I can't be gracious to this guy.

Red4ever
01-14-2015, 04:47 PM

Perhaps my favorite thing about this video is watching Gila's reaction after setting Defoe up for a 81st minute equalizer. I'd say there was something wrong between them already.

MartinUtd
01-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Honestly, his on-field attitude was the worst I have ever seen. Every opposing team was embarrassed FOR whichever one of our players he decided to pick on in that particular game. Just a classless act that I am so glad to get rid of. Zero appreciation here.

Ruiz was still worse.

Blixa
01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
He was really good. First half of the season was great but then it all fell apart. He should have thought this through a bit better.

MightyDM
01-14-2015, 11:35 PM

Great memories! And, just like the goals of the year videos, who shows up in this highlight? DeRo. In almost all the best goals this year, he was on the field. Given how little he played, it is very interesting.

brad
01-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Was a treat watching him in the first half of the season. It's also the first time since DeRo's first stint where it felt like we could actually score

Jack
01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
He wasn't here long enough for me to love or hate him. I want players who want to be here and he didn't, so I hope he finds a fit back in England and I hope Jozy and the General tear shit up over here.

jabbronies
01-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Great first half of the season. It was really nice to see a prolific striker play in TFC Red (Onyx).
If he can find something to motivate him that much in Sunderland, he'l do well.

UltraFootyKWC
01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all your hard work and committment Jermain! Hopefully you'll be off your mom's teet soon. Good luck in the Championship next season.

Carts
01-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Sadly, my memories of him are a missed penalty in the south end - and wanting out...

It's a shame b/c that has overshadowed the feeling at the start of the year when he slotted 2 in Seattle & we were on cloud-9...

My feelings towards him now = MEH...

jloome
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Sadly, my memories of him are a missed penalty in the south end - and wanting out...

It's a shame b/c that has overshadowed the feeling at the start of the year when he slotted 2 in Seattle & we were on cloud-9...

Great footballer, typical self-interested formerly-poor-now-rich-and-privileged Premier league star, puzzled as to what all the fuss is about.

Still, homesickness is tough.

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2015, 04:44 PM
I had a good conversation with JD at a chill little party early last season, what an exciting start that went so sour. Oh what it could have been. But now onward forward, it's Jozy time.

ensco
01-15-2015, 05:27 PM
That game midsummer, when Horst threw him to the ground, and Defoe got that ridiculous card, and no one came to his side ... that was where it first became really obvious that there was a problem.

If that had happened to Henry or Keane, there would have been NY or LA guys taking immediate straight reds to protect their meal ticket.

Defoe didn't get protected properly, I suspect because he did nothing to earn the protection of his teammates. Some of that is on Nelsen and Caldwell.

I hope Bradley is made captain, I'll never understand why that didn't happen day one, and that Bradley's higher comfort level now, and relationship with Altidore, enables him to make sure Altidore does the little things a highly-paid star needs to do to get the protection and respect from the foot soldiers that he needs.

jloome
01-15-2015, 05:43 PM
That game midsummer, when Horst threw him to the ground, and Defoe got that ridiculous card, and no one came to his side ... that was where it first became really obvious that there was a problem.

If that had happened to Henry or Keane, there would have been NY or LA guys taking immediate straight reds to protect their meal ticket.

Defoe didn't get protected properly, I suspect because he did nothing to earn the protection of his teammates. Some of that is on Nelsen and Caldwell.

I hope Bradley is made captain, I'll never understand why that didn't happen day one, and that Bradley's higher comfort level now, and relationship with Altidore, enables him to make sure Altidore does the little things a highly-paid star needs to do to get the protection and respect from the foot soldiers that he needs.

My worry is the opposite; there was a game towards the end of the year -- second-to-last I think -- when the team was avoiding giving Bradley the ball deliberately. Caldwell and he were barking at one another, and I got the sense the team wasn't taking to his toughness. The income disparities on these teams are, I think, a bigger issue than we sometimes hear about.

ensco
01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
^I wonder what the cause is. I'm not sure it's income so much as a plain old personailty rift between Caldwell and Bradley. Oso yells at everyone and needs to grow up. Jackson yells at everyone and is a bit of a head case.

The on field barking at each other was unreal all year. I sat two rows from the pitch for the NE game in May, and I couldn't believe how much everyone, Bradley, Osorio, Caldwell, Jackson, others were griping at each other.

I think the captain question was also a bigger problem than people thought. I really hope Vanney just makes the switch day one. It may be that Caldwell has to go to as part of this (which wouldn't be great given our non-existent CB depth)

dow117
01-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Appreciated his natural talent, but in the end he came across as having a poor attitude, a lack of professionalism and focus.
Overall with this whole Defoe experience the thing that impressed me the most was when Leiweke said a few months ago that Defoe should get the hell out of the way if he didn't want to be here - that's the kind of culture I'd like at TFC.

\Christ !! THATS THE KIND OF CULTURE WE,VE HAD FOR 8 FREAKIN YEARS AND WHERE DID THAT GET US ... Lewieke is the sole blame for this fiasco and where is he ....jumpin ship with his bonus in tact. and using Defoe as a scapegoat and Bez as his lapdog. Yes that lack of focus from Defoe in scoring at a rate ( 11 in 16 ) not done by any striker at the time is piss poor - gimme a break man

DeRo Fan #1
01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
He brought, about 6 games worth watching because of him.

Other than that, all I can say is, I hope he doesn't start scoring with Sunderland.

Alonso
01-16-2015, 03:24 AM
What a fucking farce this has been.

Having said that... Jermain is by far the best player I've ever seen play in a TFC shirt.

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2015, 08:10 AM
\Christ !! THATS THE KIND OF CULTURE WE,VE HAD FOR 8 FREAKIN YEARS AND WHERE DID THAT GET US ... Lewieke is the sole blame for this fiasco and where is he ....jumpin ship with his bonus in tact. and using Defoe as a scapegoat and Bez as his lapdog. Yes that lack of focus from Defoe in scoring at a rate ( 11 in 16 ) not done by any striker at the time is piss poor - gimme a break man

This is an appreciation thread so appreciating his scoring rate is right on.

The rest of your tirade makes no sense and more to the point doesn't belong here. You say the culture has been the same for 8 years but Lieweke alone changed that culture, not to speak of other culture changes in other regimes. To say those cultures haven't brought success is accurate. To say we haven't changed in 8 years is incorrect and really just lazy analysis.

portu
01-16-2015, 08:22 AM
^I wonder what the cause is. I'm not sure it's income so much as a plain old personailty rift between Caldwell and Bradley. Oso yells at everyone and needs to grow up. Jackson yells at everyone and is a bit of a head case.

The on field barking at each other was unreal all year. I sat two rows from the pitch for the NE game in May, and I couldn't believe how much everyone, Bradley, Osorio, Caldwell, Jackson, others were griping at each other.

I think the captain question was also a bigger problem than people thought. I really hope Vanney just makes the switch day one. It may be that Caldwell has to go to as part of this (which wouldn't be great given our non-existent CB depth)

its usually not that bad i sit row 1 near the tunnel, i remember two home games for their on-field interactions and they were both against NE

Usually if theyre arent barking at each other then thats a bad thing (see the second NE game) this team hates guys who dont care

Carts
01-16-2015, 09:45 AM

I think Bradley should be made captain as well - I agree. But I also see why it wasn't done last season right off the hop - and listening to Bradley speak, part of that could have been him.

If he arrives and is immediately planted with the armband, the expectations, hooplah, etc all goes up. Talk of "big time player comes in and Caldwell is stripped of the band" etc hits the media and chat boards - and we don't need that. Listening to Bradley speak, it wouldn't surprise if he was totally ok with not being handed the band...

But this season, I think its time to hand him the reigns and let him lead this squad now & in the years to come, as the superstar DP he is...

Carts...

shwade
01-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the 10 or so goals, glad to be rid of someone who thought he was bigger than the team.

Shakes McQueen
01-16-2015, 11:59 PM
My worry is the opposite; there was a game towards the end of the year -- second-to-last I think -- when the team was avoiding giving Bradley the ball deliberately. Caldwell and he were barking at one another, and I got the sense the team wasn't taking to his toughness. The income disparities on these teams are, I think, a bigger issue than we sometimes hear about.

That's an interesting and oft-neglected issue, but has there really been any indication of similar issues in, say, Los Angeles? I know there was lots of income-related drama when Beckham first went there, but then they patched that up, and I never heard about it again. I suppose in their case, winning heals all wounds.

As for Defoe - best footballer to ever wear a TFC shirt, but not really lamenting him being gone. Lamenting that it didn't work out, maybe. It's clear there was a problem there, thus he had to go. Not much else to say.

dutch
01-17-2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all your hard work and committment Jermain! Hopefully you'll be off your mom's teet soon. Good luck in the Championship next season.

Sums it up Perfect! lol

Appreciation thread?... Only 1 of 2 guys who ever played for TFC and didnt deserve to wear our kit.
Actually he can join the other guy who didnt deserve our jersey Eric Hassli. the 2 strikers on my worst TFC 11, right in there with
Mista, Vitti, garcia, lombardo. ruiz etc etc
(shit I see a trend here...)

FRANKIE65
01-17-2015, 09:54 AM
GO SPURS!!!!:wink5::D

Yohan
01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
fun game so far. Defoe's been causing Spurs trouble

MightyDM
01-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Yohan, where are you watching it? I can't find the game on TV.

Yohan
01-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Yohan, where are you watching it? I can't find the game on TV.
online stream

MightyDM
01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I'll look for one. Hope he scores!

Yohan
01-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Gets fouled, doesn't get the call, whines at the ref (even if he had a legit reason). Doesn't pressure the ball. Spurs has a crack at the goal.

So Defoe

ManUtd4ever
01-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Gets fouled, doesn't get the call, whines at the ref (even if he had a legit reason). Doesn't pressure the ball. Spurs has a crack at the goal.

So Defoe

Yup. He's still a world class striker, but very one dimensional in terms of his presence on the pitch.

Richard
01-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Yup. He's still a world class striker, but very one dimensional in terms of his presence on the pitch.

Well that's an oxymoron, you cant be world class with only just finishing, the rest of his game sucks balls.

Glad we kept Gilberto who can actually help in a lot more ways.

Yohan
01-17-2015, 11:49 AM
and Eriksen with a late dagger.
Sunderland really needs a creative CM

Leedsoronto
01-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Subbed off at 70ish mins no goal. First time he not scored on debut, lots of firsts for him this year I bet.

ANTZ
01-17-2015, 12:28 PM
it would be great to have a friendly vs Sunderland this summer!!

Jack
01-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Well that's an oxymoron, you cant be world class with only just finishing, the rest of his game sucks balls.

Glad we kept Gilberto who can actually help in a lot more ways.
"Just finishing" is one of the hardest talents to find in football. Defoe is a deadly finisher and scores goals in bunches. I like Gilberto's work rate and he is a good player, but if he had Defoe's finishing ability he'd be playing on a Champion's League team.

Section_105
01-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Funny. Many of our fans are hammering Defoe, every sunderland fan is hammering Jozy. Wonder how this will all look with a few months time behind it.

Personally don't like Defoe but the lot of us have gotten on him too harshly considering he was injured etc. and really the team around him wasn't performing well. But with the optics of it all I totally understand why he has left a bad taste in our mouths.

anyway, thanks for Seattle, for making Gilberto's first goal epic, and for going to a shit club like sunderland so we could get something in return. Almost feel bad for your destination. (sorry sunderland fans but that team is a shit show.....yes yes yes, takes one to know one....)

gate7
01-18-2015, 09:15 AM
t
Thanks for a few good memories. Too bad he never actually played for TFC.

Brooker
01-18-2015, 09:33 AM
He's just a mercenary. Au revoir.

lips
01-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for stopping by

molenshtain
01-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Good guy Defoe. :)

Cashcleaner
01-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Ugh. That game against Houston? What a nightmare it ended up being for us. Defoe's missed PK was just one of many things that went wrong that night. But yeah, you could tell how he just seemd to deflate right after that.

Good point. We know it caused some strain among players in certain locker rooms around the league - notably with Beckham and his colleagues in LA. We shouldn't be so naive to think that it wouldn't happen here or in other MLS markets. Hopefully, it's an issue that the new CBA will finally address.

As for Defoe - best footballer to ever wear a TFC shirt, but not really lamenting him being gone. Lamenting that it didn't work out, maybe. It's clear there was a problem there, thus he had to go. Not much else to say.

Yeah, I think I'm of a similar mind. I can't really work myself up to just full-on hate the guy. In all honesty, as a guy who's been following this club from Day 1 I just know there's gonna be plenty of blame that can be spread around here.

He came, he bagged a few goals, and now he's gone. And I'm really going to miss those goals.

GabrielHurl
01-19-2015, 10:02 AM
On Saturday

Defoe was caught offside four times in the first 23 minutes of his debut, and failed to have a shot on target.

The best statistic was that he attempted just five passes, and two of those were kick-offs.

Pinkie
01-20-2015, 01:35 PM
I appreciated that opener against Seattle.

I appreciated being in 123 for the Houston game and yelling at him at the end of the match.

Macksam
01-20-2015, 07:48 PM
I should probably start the Pablo Vitti appreciation thread.