PDA

View Full Version : Carver on TFC

jloome
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
John Carver waxes eloquent on MLSE.
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/trials-and-tribulations-at-toronto-fc-prepared-me-for-challenges-at-newcastle-1-7042946

reggie
01-11-2015, 08:00 PM
why do people care about this guy..he walked away when things got tough...

ensco
01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't mind knowing what he wanted in 2009. The way I remember it, we went for broke, sold good assets for allocation to load up for a playoff push (sound familiar?....).

He probably broke when Anselmi decided to chase JDG instead of Amoebi or whoever it is he wanted (can't say I blame him)

I don't think Carver has the temperament to be a manager. I thought he would have an aneurysm every single postgame - the refs, the shitty players, Cunningham missing empty nets.

Richard
01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Ouch!

“They said I could have stayed for life – and I could have, it’s a beautiful city – but I wanted to be successful. I wanted to win so I came back here. It’s the only reason I came back.”

Waggy
01-12-2015, 03:11 AM
Mentioned it in the alumni thread but was walking to a preseason double header here, Sydney vs West Ham and Newcastle vs Wellington. Was wearing my TFC jacket. I was walking down the street and some guy sprinted up to me from behind- it was John. He saw my jacket from a block away and ran me down to say hi and talk about TFC for a few minutes (this was in June I think? Things were still looking pretty good finally). He was so genuinely happy that the team finally seemed to be on the right track, clearly kept up on how it was doing, clearly loved the city. Even asked me to pass well wishes to here when I said I kept up with the team through this board. The guy loves the team/city. I take him at his word.

Also 'walked away' is a bit revisionist. Remember the team decision to have him coach from the press box while Cummins took care of the on field stuff? Totally normal in soccer....

ensco
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
^Wow, that is a great story. Most people in football feel a necessary separation from the fans. The idea that Carver chased you down like that is pretty amazing.

Carts
01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
The sub-headline in the story says it all in terms of our club these past few years...

JOHN Carver says he learnt about management the hard way at Toronto FC – where he once had to field his chief scout at right back! :facepalm:

I remember that day quite well! LOL
Carts...

brad
01-12-2015, 05:47 PM
The sub-headline in the story says it all in terms of our club these past few years...

JOHN Carver says he learnt about management the hard way at Toronto FC – where he once had to field his chief scout at right back! :facepalm:

I remember that day quite well! LOL
Carts...

As do I - Rick Titus. Wasn't there another player we had to sign just for that game as well, or loan or something?

sidvan
01-12-2015, 05:58 PM
As do I - Rick Titus. Wasn't there another player we had to sign just for that game as well, or loan or something?
As I recall this was all on Don Garber and MLS. They wouldn't reschedule the game when we were missing 8 players due to international call ups and more due to injury.

Yohan
01-12-2015, 06:02 PM
actually, it was Tim Regan who was the scout that played. Rick Titus did play that game also

Richard
01-12-2015, 06:16 PM
For a moment there I thought he was talking about Jim Brenan jokingly, you know being the mole and all for Mo.

Villa TFC
01-12-2015, 08:44 PM
One day I'll sit down and write a list of all the things that are wrong with MLS - with concrete examples of each - but I'll need at least a week of non-stop writing to finish it :facepalm:. That match is a prime example of why MLS's steadfast refusal to observe the international calendar can adversely affect the product they're trying to sell to judgemental fans who know the game inside out and are convinced that the Euro/Latin American leagues are vastly superior, and the complete newbies to the sport who are trying to see what the appeal is. Then I could go onto the complete lack of transparency that surrounds allocation funds and leaves everyone scratching their heads; the make-'em-up-as-we-go-along transfer rules that seem inconsistent, open to favouritism and just plain ridiculous; the greatly-spouted aim of SSS for all...before allowing NYCFC to play in a baseball stadium... and on and on and on...

Waggy
01-13-2015, 12:25 AM
^Wow, that is a great story. Most people in football feel a necessary separation from the fans. The idea that Carver chased you down like that is pretty amazing.

It was funny because the whole reason I was wearing the jacket was because I was drunk and wanted to try and track him down at the game. My sister and friends laughed at me the whole predrink, and most of the walk to the stadium. Then they stood there confused as this old guy in a Newcastle jumper ran up to me and talked for a bit, and their jaws dropped after he went back to the rest of the coaching staff when I said that was the guy. I already loved Carver but that was the most amazing interactions with a sports figure not named Pinball Clemons I've ever had. I was stunned. If I wasn't so drunk and shocked I'd have asked for a picture (something I generally would never do).

Brooker
01-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Johnny Carver's!

dutch
01-13-2015, 01:37 AM
I love carver. A bit partial to someone who tells it like it is, to the point you look forward to the next game to watch him lose his shit. I'd say he's the first TFC manager I bet everything I own on, I remember it well. I dont take anyone too seriously who says he isnt chalked up to be a manager of a decent team. He has a decent english career since he left MLS and hasnt been fired yet. He wasnt fired at TFC either. if they had even half a reason to sack him anywhere in england it would have been done because there 10 dozen waiting to fill positions like his. All he wants is to manage the toons and I believe he will some day.

Oldtimer
01-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Johnny Carver's!

ALL RED ARMY!!!!

I really liked Carver, it was a pity to see him go, but he couldn't handle MLS refs or how MLSE hung him out to dry when he disagreed with the league.

Brooker
01-13-2015, 10:25 AM
I remember bumping into him at Union Station before the game where we had barely any players. I wished him luck and all he could do was laugh and shrug his shoulders and say he bloody well needed it. He was really personable and I wish he stayed longer. Didn't he go to a RPB tailgate after he was done with TFC?

I also wish Cummins stayed on aswell but hey, it's TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2015, 10:47 AM
I remember bumping into him at Union Station before the game where we had barely any players. I wished him luck and all he could do was laugh and shrug his shoulders and say he bloody well needed it. He was really personable and I wish he stayed longer. Didn't he go to a RPB tailgate after he was done with TFC?

I also wish Cummins stayed on aswell but hey, it's TFC.

He was genuinely moved when he showed up and Coach presented the Carver scarf while we sung his song. Hung around for as long as he could.

Wish him all the best and wish he could've stayed. Understand why he couldn't.

nascarguy
01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
John Carver was one of the best Coach that we had.

Seen
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
A friend of mine ran into him last summer at Wvrst. He had a layover in Toronto with a bunch of his buddies, on their way to Vegas for a stag. Was happy to talk TFC & Newcastle. All around good guy.