PDA

View Full Version : The curious case of Kyle Bekker

Doucet3
01-10-2015, 03:43 AM
Okay so as my insomnia has me up at 3:30 and I think about random shit I get into TFC and start to think how can a guy like Bekker have had so much promise not be better?... Or are we to hard on him?.

He had trials with Ajax and Crystal Palace before only being terminated due to work permit issues (which means they were more then likely trying to sign him) and now he's a semi regular roster player for Toronto FC... I mean it's kinda hard to hate the kid being a Toronto boy But I mean me as well as other in the stands have wanted to personally run on the field some matches and bitch slap the stupid out of him... But then he'll turn in a slightly above avg performance every few matches which keeps that little hope (what's left of it for him) alive

So what's your take ?... Is this his make or break year, which Vanney a Canadian oriented coach?

OgtheDim
01-10-2015, 07:31 AM
If MLS changed its domestic rules to allow Canadians to be considered domestic in the States, he'd be sold.

Pint
01-10-2015, 09:22 AM
For some reason I still get the feeling he is held in good regard at this club and others around the league. I'm just hoping that the pride of Oakville Ontario can step it up and become a useful player for us.

Doucet3
01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Seems pretty fair, NY had a bid in for him not long ago but wouldn't meet our price ... Aka they didn't want to pay for his intl slot and pay fair price. But I mean if a teams willing to waste a intl spot on Beks he can't be that bad right...? If hope.

Ruffian
01-10-2015, 10:32 AM
I think we are a bit too hard on him here but I also think if he is 27 and not 24 and still has not vastly improved then I think a roster spot could be used on somebody else.

Ivy
01-10-2015, 11:23 AM
I think we are a bit too hard on him here but I also think if he is 27 and not 24 and still has not vastly improved then I think a roster spot could be used on somebody else.

Nobody is too hard a Bekker. He needs to be run over by anElephant as a wake up call, Cuz he's going to be unemployed soon if he doesn't step his game up immensely (I think it's too late for him, he isn't going to change)

Doucet3
01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Nobody is too hard a Bekker. He needs to be run over by anElephant as a wake up call, Cuz he's going to be unemployed soon if he doesn't step his game up immensely (I think it's too late for him, he isn't going to change)

loll an elephant should Sufic to wake his ass up.. Seems to be split I've been hearing all year long but ally of people are leaving to him not changing and him in turn being dropped

brad
01-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Probably lights it up in practice, but can't do it in games (which is not uncommon). The hope is likely that he can get past that and be a solid player.

ManUtd4ever
01-10-2015, 12:18 PM
He has the tools to be an impact player at this level. His problem is between the ears.

Wagner
01-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Iroquois Ridge Grad!!
Trail Blazers!

he's super young.
he's going to be good.

ensco
01-10-2015, 12:32 PM
He shows flashes of game (can deliver long passes on the run accurately, a rare skill) but can't really handle pressure. It's not about character, he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, but he just doesn't seem to win the 1v1 battles.

What makes him more curious than O'Brian White? Talking about him just makes me think about all the wasted high draft picks ... trading the Farrell pick away for Bekker, losing Silva and Cronin for nothing, etc.

kodiakTFC
01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Iroquois Ridge Grad!!
Trail Blazers!

he's super young.
he's going to be good.

24 isn't super young. This is the problem with NCAA. Players coming out of those programs are 22 which is the beginning of the prime for players who've gone through a proper system.

billyfly
01-10-2015, 01:07 PM
From the matches I've watched I am in the Bekker sux camp.

brad
01-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Based on the number and quality of other teams that were interested him in the off season, this definitely falls under the "more that meets the eye" category. Whether or not he ever develops into a quality player, but when someone like Kries wants you - there is obviously potential there.

jloome
01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
I think perhaps people have been telling him how good he's going to be for a long time; he has top-level vision and technique sometimes; but his work rate reminds me of Freddy Adu's off games for Philly. Some days Adu was there and the most dangerous player they had, creating chance after chance that their forwards fucked up; other days, he jogged around the pitch like he wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to be doing to get involved.

And that's what it's like with Bekker. I don't think he studies hard; he frequently is out of position -- not always by a ton, but enough to create defensive gaps that are easily exploited. He doesn't chase the play, he walks off the ball far too much and if he gets an ounce of pressure, he dishes the ball, even though in lower pressure situations I've seen him beat guys on the dribble.

I think he's just not preparing enough; he needs a scare to understand what can happen to a technique guy who doesn't follow it up with a top-class work rate.

Initial B
01-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I think he'll be on the USL Pro team come spring. If that doesn't light a fire under him, he'll be gone by the end of the season.

[NBF]
01-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Bekker is the Eric Avila of this new incarnation of TFC. TFC version pfft will probably be no different than the Paul Mariner era. Expect the worst cause its coming.:drinking:

Fort York Redcoat
01-11-2015, 09:29 AM
;1710794']Bekker is the Eric Avila of this new incarnation of TFC. TFC version pfft will probably be no different than the Paul Mariner era. Expect the worst cause its coming.:drinking:

Will there be more shorts? Shorter shorts?

Ajax TFC
01-11-2015, 09:35 AM
;1710794']Bekker is the Eric Avila of this new incarnation of TFC. TFC version pfft will probably be no different than the Paul Mariner era. Expect the worst cause its coming.:drinking:
If by the new Avila you mean the exact opposite situation, then I can see the comparison.

spark
01-12-2015, 09:49 AM
24 isn't super young. This is the problem with NCAA. Players coming out of those programs are 22 which is the beginning of the prime for players who've gone through a proper system.

22 as a 'prime' is pretty rare. I think we think that b/c we see the best in the world (players/leagues) and it looks more common than it really is. The prime for most players is 26/27, and in MLS there is a laundry list of top ones who've hit their stride at that age. This is why TFC are reluctant to move Bekker, even though they don't seem to know how to get the best out of him, they are scared he'll become the next __________ (pick any of 30(?)+ former players) to go on and be successful somewhere else.

Joe Kool
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
After the recent interview with Bez, he said he wants to keep, and actually double, the amount of players on the team that come from the Superdraft and he named Bekker as an example of that so Bekker ain't going anywhere for a bit.

Hieberrr
01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Bekker can be good. There are, however, two things about him that stand out in a bad way.

1. Effort - he looks disinterested out there sometimes
2. Passing backwards/lack of offensive push - He has a good ability to pass the ball to the back line to restart, however he does it so often that it kills any forward momentum or counter-attacking opportunities. I've seen it happen so many times that it really gets on my nerves. Instead of making the pass forward or laterally to start the attack, it goes to the back line.

I have no idea if these other teams know that or see that too.

MightyDM
01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Bekker can be good. There are, however, two things about him that stand out in a bad way.

2. Passing backwards/lack of offensive push - He has a good ability to pass the ball to the back line to restart, however he does it so often that it kills any forward momentum or counter-attacking opportunities. I've seen it happen so many times that it really gets on my nerves. Instead of making the pass forward or laterally to start the attack, it goes to the back line.

its like watching tom cleverly in the premier league; clear talent, but doesn't get used for a positive purpose from, a team perspective

Abou Sky
01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
When Sky 'takes a play off' or just doesn't give his all, I tell him that is how you end up being a player like Kyle Bekker, LOTS of potential, but no workrate.

Note: I would still prefer he decides on something besides soccer as a career, because I can't imagine too many more anxiety filled careers.

pawlukj
01-15-2015, 09:45 AM
i think i saw him where he had some bad games and some good games, but the overall verdict on my part is that he has talent and works hard, hes a bit soft at times on the defensive end when pressured bat thats because of inexperience ...because some gameshe has been really good overall he is definately made outto be a player inthe MLS, he just needs a good combinationof good teammates

HeyToronto
01-15-2015, 04:30 PM

I don't think that the effort tag is right. I think he runs a lot but just doesn't have much tackling ability, but I could be wrong and he just refuses to tackle.

The second point I agree he has been guilty of for long stretches, and that's a combination of a lack of confidence and a team that doesn't give him options. He has shown the ability to move forward and make good forwarded passes (although they were just flashes), and has a pretty good shot especially on dead ball situations.

All in all, he's not a young prospect anymore t's a make or break season. I hope Vanney gives him the chance and that he takes it.

CoachGT
01-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Personally, I'm not convinced the draft is a great way to get players. Some (usually defenders and GKs) are better prospects than other positions. Players coming from a college background are not prepared to play professionally in the same way they are for other sports. Bekker is a guy. A role player, someone to fill a roster spot. You have to be good to get to this level, but he isn't an impact player and is too old (even at 24) to become one if he can't crack the lineup and be an everyday player.

jloome
01-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Personally, I'm not convinced the draft is a great way to get players. Some (usually defenders and GKs) are better prospects than other positions. Players coming from a college background are not prepared to play professionally in the same way they are for other sports. Bekker is a guy. A role player, someone to fill a roster spot. You have to be good to get to this level, but he isn't an impact player and is too old (even at 24) to become one if he can't crack the lineup and be an everyday player.

We got a potential steal today with Edwin Rivas, I'm told. He's a monster athlete in the Steve Nash mould, could have played pro in several different sports but chose football because he's been playing since he was a kid. Strong, fast, can beat guys on the dribble and both score and set up others.