PDA

View Full Version : Former CUSA HC Robin Fraser joins TFC coaching staff

Detroit_TFC
01-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Kristian Dyer at BigAppleSoccer.com reports that current RBNY assistant coach/former Chivas USA head coach Robin Fraser declined a one-year contract extension to join TFC's coaching staff.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=39791

spark
01-06-2015, 10:24 AM
I would keep an eye on the academy. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more former Chivas USA coaches end up here.

mowe
01-06-2015, 10:50 AM
NYRB fans seem to be pissed. I'll take that as a good sign. Apparently he helped Petke develop as a coach.

Carts
01-06-2015, 11:48 AM
NYRB fans seem to be pissed. I'll take that as a good sign. Apparently he helped Petke develop as a coach.

That's exactly my take! I know nothing about him - so if people that do are pissed he's leaving, I'm happy!

Carts...

BuSaPuNk
01-06-2015, 11:56 AM
And so begins Vanney molding his team around his ideals. Hope all the hate about the move on the NYRB fans is a positive that we got a good hire here.

Hopefully this starts the process of finally getting the ship together instead of the piecework of the last few years.

Red CB Toronto
01-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Some stability will be nice, with everyone being on the same page from top to bottom. A good experienced coach for the Reds.

OgtheDim
01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
I like the move. Comfortable working under a young coach and with Vanney and working with egos.

nfitz made the point on twitter that this also gives a built in temp to go to in case Vanney flames out.

Red CB Toronto
01-06-2015, 12:30 PM
I like the move. Comfortable working under a young coach and with Vanney and working with egos.

nfitz made the point on twitter that this also gives a built in temp to go to in case Vanney flames out.

That is the one thing that bothers me a little bit anyway, whenever you have an experienced coach on the staff, maybe waiting in the wings.

Detroit_TFC
01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Fraser and Vanney go way back, not concerned about possible rivalry. Plus Fraser is still working on rebuilding his credibility, seriously bruised by what happened when he was in charge at CUSA. Hard to blame him for much of that, given what we now know about the circus there, but I doubt he is looking for fast track back into a HC job.

ryan
01-06-2015, 12:45 PM
How long until Vanney is canned and Fraser is HC? Will it be Summer 2015 or the offseason? Obviously no need to guess further, coaches can't last long here, it's a rule or something.

ensco
01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
^Yeah that's about right.

Detroit_TFC
01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Excluding Cummins and Dasovic as interims, TFC head coaches last an average of 434.8 days. Vanney is 128 days in, so ... so November 8, 2015 should be Robin Fraser Appointment Day.

Nelsen was the longest tenured at 601 days. Mariner the shortest at 214 days.

Yes, this is how busy I am at work today.

Manager87
01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Stuart Neely brought back to TFC as senior academy coach

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01/tfc-names-neely-academy-senior-team-head-coach

TFCwestcan
01-06-2015, 10:16 PM
This is a great move, just what Vanney needs, an experienced second. Fraser was also brought in to help another first time coach -Petke at NY.

jabbronies
01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
How long until Vanney is canned and Fraser is HC? Will it be Summer 2015 or the offseason? Obviously no need to guess further, coaches can't last long here, it's a rule or something.

- It'll be in August. Just close enough to the end of the transfer window - so nothing can really be done to change our fortunes at the time.

- We will be out of the playoff picture, but close enough that there will be a small chance that we could squeak in if every team ahead of us loses every game and we win every game 3-0 (keeping in mind to date we would've only have score 8 goals all season)

mcolvy
01-06-2015, 11:19 PM
- It'll be in August. Just close enough to the end of the transfer window - so nothing can really be done to change our fortunes at the time.

- We will be out of the playoff picture, but close enough that there will be a small chance that we could squeak in if every team ahead of us loses every game and we win every game 3-0 (keeping in mind to date we would've only have score 8 goals all season)

I'm sorry but this is not a move to have Vanney feel threatened. These guys are best buddies and love working together. When we were quickly assembling our coaching staff back when Vanney took over, everyone on this board pointed right to Fraser. Fraser was the head coach of Chivas, with Vanney as his lead assistant. Some said they almost co-coached it. I expect the same for us.

Ultra & Proud
01-07-2015, 12:01 AM

I think it'll be in June with enough time to do transfers. Then we'll have a Winter 2011 style turnover, blame Vanney for being out of his depth, change the philosophy of the club and the academy system, have a power point media session, then bomb the remainder of schedule and start from scratch with big promises of 2016 with Fraser finally having 'his' roster playing 'his' system and implementing 'his' vision. Then repeat.

flamehawk
01-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Well, Ives is reporting that Petke may have been fired. That explains Fraser coming here.

Marc"2L"
01-07-2015, 01:54 AM
So confused right now.

Petke must of done something scandalous. It couldn't be performance related, direction maybe? Can't really say he is in the wrong on that front.

CommradePolski
01-07-2015, 02:50 AM
So confused right now.

Petke must of done something scandalous. It couldn't be performance related, direction maybe? Can't really say he is in the wrong on that front.

I think it likely has to do with Red Bull potentially selling the team.

DOMIN8R
01-07-2015, 06:10 AM
..... When we were quickly assembling our coaching staff back when Vanney took over, everyone on this board pointed right to Fraser. Fraser was the head coach of Chivas, with Vanney as his lead assistant.....

Hold on a minute. That is some broad sweeping generalization there, pal. This forum is made up of 100's of registered users and RPB members. You may want to rethink how you view what you read here. There are many diverse opinions. Just because you read a few posts, that share the same view in succession does not make it reflective of many, never mind all, of those who post here.

jabbronies
01-07-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm sorry but this is not a move to have Vanney feel threatened. These guys are best buddies and love working together. When we were quickly assembling our coaching staff back when Vanney took over, everyone on this board pointed right to Fraser. Fraser was the head coach of Chivas, with Vanney as his lead assistant. Some said they almost co-coached it. I expect the same for us.

You must be new to TFC. Welcome!

Just to get you caught up on the teams history - basically what I laid out in my post is pretty much the template that TFC runs by - give or take a few months for things to play out.

It doesn't matter whom is at the helm or what the setup is or who is friends with who - TFC will get nervous once renewals start to become a thing in their minds and they do something to "get people excited" or "make things interesting".

Mo, Anselmi, Bez - they've all done the same thing

There is no logic to the events I laid out, it's just what the club does. They redirect the attention from the pitch - either by expanding/renovating the stadium, firing the manager or changing the philosophy of the academy.

flamehawk
01-08-2015, 08:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YuyTnvpOmQ

Came across this video of Robin Fraser coaching. I know coaching kids fundamentals is probably a lot different but found this interesting nonetheless.

I wonder if they will see us returning some of the current coaches down to the academy level?