PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gerrard

Leedsoronto
01-01-2015, 07:59 PM
The now ex Liverpool player is up for grabs as of today, LA are interested, wonder if TFC are looking or not?

He is a great player with a few years left in him, go get him Tim B :@)

TFC07
01-01-2015, 08:05 PM
If L.A. is interested, then they will get him with help of MLS FO. We all know that MLS will do everything in their power to help bigger American markets to sign major DP's.

Yohan
01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
already reported by several media as going to LA. supposedly announced tomorrow

notthesun
01-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Really hope the rumour of him heading to the Galaxy is true. Saves us from potentially making another failed big money/hype signing.

brad
01-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Hope the LA Rumor is true. Don't want him.

mcolvy
01-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Hope the LA Rumor is true. Don't want him.

Agreed. Im not too worried. I just don't see how they would want to break up the Juninho-Sarvas partnership that has been super successful.

OgtheDim
01-01-2015, 08:46 PM
If I'm Tim L, I might be lobbying right now for LAG to have their once every two years visit to Toronto in August.

Gerrards presence would sell out that game.

But if past experience holds true, we will play them in May.

Cashcleaner
01-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Really hope the rumour of him heading to the Galaxy is true. Saves us from potentially making another failed big money/hype signing.

Agreed. If LA wants him they can have him. We need to reassess our labour needs.

We've got a solid core at the moment. Sure, that may change over the next few months, but we're in a position where we really just need to supplement the current roster. At least I'm not expecting anything along the lines of the Bloody Big Deal Ver. 2.0.

Kaz
01-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Maybe NY will go after him.. Lampard being a tool and all...

Though I realize he has less choice in that City Group has all the say and they are the ones being tools.

Leedsoronto
01-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Lampard/Gerrard a match made in Hell, if u ever seen England try that formation.

After further reading I beleive LA will be favourite as said above.

Should be an interesting season regarding TFC, USL, other teams, new players and new teams I'm really looking forward to MLS 2015.

Fort York Redcoat
01-02-2015, 08:07 AM
If I'm Tim L, I might be lobbying right now for LAG to have their once every two years visit to Toronto in August.

Gerrards presence would sell out that game.

But if past experience holds true, we will play them in May.

Yet we all by know that scheduling a match and a player showing up, even suiting up, are 3 different things.

http://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/beckham.jpg

Oblio2
01-02-2015, 08:37 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2015/01/02/liverpool_captain_steven_gerrard_turns_down_contra ct_will_join_foreign_club.html

mentions us.....

TFC07
01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
I personally admit it will make more sense for Gerrard to sign with Toronto than LA. Right now, Toronto needs CAM/CM to play along with Bradley while L.A. not so much. Also, I believe Liverpool have huge following in Toronto/Canada so TFC FO could more motivated and willing to overpay Gerrard than L.A. if there's bidding war. With expanded BMO field, TFC needs something to promote and sell 30K seats this year.

ManUtd4ever
01-02-2015, 02:06 PM
I personally admit it will make more sense for Gerrard to sign with Toronto than L.A. Right now, Toronto needs CAM/CM to play along with Bradley while L.A. not so much. Also, I believe Liverpool have huge following in Toronto/Canada so TFC FO could more motivated and willing to overpay Gerrard than L.A. if there's bidding war. With expanded BMO field, TFC needs something to promote and sell 30K seats this year.

True enough, but the question is would Gerrard move across the pond to finish his career in Toronto?

I doubt it. If L.A. wants him, I don't think we have a chance. L.A. can match any contract offer, has a championship contender, and is a more desirable place to live.

I love T.O., but I'm just being realistic.

Areathrasher
01-02-2015, 02:14 PM
A somewhat interesting tidbit of info is that Defoe and Gerrard have the same agent, Struan Marshall.

TFC07
01-02-2015, 02:20 PM
True enough, but the question is would Gerrard move across the pond to finish his career in Toronto?

I doubt it. If L.A. wants him, I don't think we have a chance. L.A. can match any contract offer, has a championship contender, and is a more desirable place to live.

Do you know Gerrard personally? We don't know what he prefers in terms of living style. Maybe he's looking for a place where it's safe for his family to live and it's closer/easier to fly to UK.

Don't underestimate Canada/Toronto when comes to Brits. Not every Brit is like Beckham who went to L.A. because he wanted to help out his wife's "career".

Ultra & Proud
01-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Word is that a pre-contract with LA is signed already and he could be announced as early as tomorrow.

Not coming here and although I liked him forever, I am glad we aren't getting him.

buddies
01-02-2015, 02:27 PM
“He is immense and the influence he has on games should never be understated,” manager Brendan Rodgers said. “At times he has carried this club on his back, and in my time here he has always shown the ability that has rightly seen him be regarded as one of the world’s best for well over a decade.

“As a leader and as a man, he is probably incomparable to anyone I have ever worked with. He takes professionalism to a new level, and the dedication he has to his work is an example to everyone in the game.”

That! ^^^^ ... Bez and co. looking to change the culture at the club. Michael Bradley saying we need to sign more "Men" ... I get that Stevie G is 34 but come on? If Liverpool offered him a new contract, if LA ... the MLS Cup Champions are interested? If you don't think a Steven Gerrard is a better option in the midfield than Bekker or Warner or you don't think he's the kind of "Man" that Michael Bradley would want them to sign ... just ask Michael Bradley what he thinks and I'll support his answer.

Having said that, who knows? MLS could possibly want to swing a league "face saving deal" in our favour if QPR, Leicester or anyone else can't afford Defoe. Maybe Defoe goes to Anfield and we get Gerrard early on a free. We haven't had a midfield threat from outside the box EVER and we've never had a set piece as good as him EVER either! We could do a lot worse is all I'm saying. PS. I'm not a Liverpool supporter either.

Fort York Redcoat
01-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Do you know Gerrard personally? We don't know what he prefers in terms of living style. Maybe he's looking for a place where it's safe for his family to live and it's closer/easier to fly to UK.

Don't underestimate Canada/Toronto when comes to Brits. Not every Brit is like Beckham who went to L.A. because he wanted to help out his wife's "career".

And Keane? I don't think he's there because of his wife.

TFC07
01-02-2015, 02:53 PM
And Keane? I don't think he's there because of his wife.

But we're assuming if TFC even went after Gerrard and Keane. I am sure Beckham is main reason why Keane went to L.A. at that time.

Point is: everyone has their own reasons where they want to play. Not everyone is going to choose L.A. over Toronto (or any other MLS market for that matter).

james
01-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Well TFC is loaded with cash as well, does LA Galaxy have more money then TFC? I also think Soccer is actually more popular in Toronto then LA. I also think LA could be one of the most over rated cities, its highway city with everything spread out like 1 big suburb, if you got no car, well good luck getting around to see anything!! Dam movies and TV shows make it so appealing tho for tourists. I say LA wins in the weather and nice beaches category.

zeelaw
01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
We don't need any more fucking old ass Englishman sorry.

(I support Liverpool too)

shwade
01-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Ugh thought Gerrard was one of the few who would never come over here for a retirement cheque.
Even at 34 I'd take him for 2 years...why the fuck not. We need someone who can see the pitch and actually pass forward. Dear God, please.

MightyDM
01-02-2015, 08:11 PM
NY Red Bulls. His first manager is there, and it gives MLS a great NY Lampard Gerrard rivalry and narrative.

habstfc
01-03-2015, 02:46 AM
Can LA pay him though? Donovan was making 3 million I believe, Gerrard is going to be asking 7 or 8 million probably. I think he ends up playing in Spain before MLS.

Yohan
01-03-2015, 04:26 AM
Can LA pay him though? Donovan was making 3 million I believe, Gerrard is going to be asking 7 or 8 million probably. I think he ends up playing in Spain before MLS.
lulz

DOMIN8R
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Steven Gerrard Exit Confirmed by Liverpool: Full Details, Comment, Reaction (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2316977-steven-gerrard-exit-confirmed-by-liverpool-full-details-comment-reaction)

The 34-year-old—who has enjoyed a magnificent career since making his debut for the Anfield club back in 1998— is set to move to MLS, according to Liverpool, who announced the move on Saturday.

And my personal favourite....

The time is right for him to move on, too. The unforgivingly fast pace of the Premier League has caught up with his ageing legs, and a switch to a more physically accommodating league like MLS should prolong his days as a player.

OgtheDim
01-03-2015, 09:31 AM
I am shocked that the English press doesn't understand MLS.

Shocked I say.

Leedsoronto
01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Just wait till his third or fourth kicking, foul and elbow in the chest in MLS and the refs turning away blindly waving on play,. then see if it's the easy league for pension players

Red4ever
01-03-2015, 10:49 AM
We don't need any more fucking old ass Englishman sorry.

(I support Liverpool too)
Probably not the best time to tell you that I heard Bez is bringing in Emile Heskey from Bolton...

pdubs
01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Liverpool FC ‏@LFC (https://twitter.com/LFC) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/LFC/status/551427578834464769)
Gerrard: “I’ll be going to play in USA. I’m not over the line with any team yet. I’m close & as soon as I know, I’ll make the announcement.”

cmonyoureds
01-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Steve Gerrard gerrard gerrard
he slipped on his f***** arse
he gave it to demba ba
gerrard gerrard

he's got no legs left and his Hollywood bombs to no one won't work in Mls.

DOMIN8R
01-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Apparently, TFC made an offer.......Tutti pazzi per Gerrard: lo vuole anche il Toronto FC (http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/tutti-pazzi-per-gerrard-lo-vuole-anche-il-toronto-fc-629840?)

Red4ever
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Gerrard and Defoe along side each other. Can't wait.

MightyDM
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Gerrard and Defoe along side each other. Can't wait.

That would actually be unbelievable. Could you imagine? Someone who can see a pass with someone who can see a run? I'd bring back DeRo as well for his off the ball runs - Gerrard passing to him would drop years off those legs.

Brooker
01-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Can Gerrard pass it to Leicester all the way from the States?

MightyDM
01-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Well played, Sir!

OgtheDim
01-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Of course we made an offer. He actually fits our system and TL would have a ball selling tickets. Gerrard is probably the most marketable English player behind Rooney.

Except he's slowing down, wants to be over here more to enjoy an experience, will be useless this season and 36 next season - no thank you.

PopePouri
01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Can Gerrard pass it to Leicester all the way from the States?

If he could, it would be on a dime.

v00d00daddy
01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Of course we made an offer. He actually fits our system and TL would have a ball selling tickets. Gerrard is probably the most marketable English player behind Rooney.

The fact that anyone would give half a shit about that is the prime reason TFC have sucked from day one and why canada sucks on the national level.

This country is in love with the wrong brand of football. It is making me fall out of love with football as I age.

We, as a football nation only, should model ourselves and love a different style of play and players like Gerard.

It's loooooooong overdue. Both TFC and Canada will suck until the change is implemented and stuck with.

But hey....they're still trying to sign overpriced (particular) players to fill the seats.

TFC07
01-03-2015, 07:51 PM
The fact that anyone would give half a shit about that is the prime reason TFC have sucked from day one and why canada sucks on the national level.

This country is in love with the wrong brand of football. It is making me fall out of love with football as I age.

We, as a football nation only, should model ourselves and love a different style of play and players like Gerard.

It's loooooooong overdue. Both TFC and Canada will suck until the change is implemented and stuck with.

But hey....they're still trying to sign overpriced (particular) players to fill the seats.

Don't confuse TFC and Canadian Soccer these days! Both of them are going opposite direction with each other in terms of soccer culture. CSA is slowly becoming more progressive and doing much better job (example, hiring an experience manager) these days while TFC haven't changed much and still stick to certain culture.

v00d00daddy
01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Don't confuse TFC and Canadian Soccer these days! Both of them are going opposite direction with each other in terms of soccer culture. CSA is slowly becoming more progressive and doing much better job (example, hiring an experience manager) these days while TFC haven't changed much and still stick to certain culture.

I hope you're right. Floro seems like the type to change things but I can't help remembering a man name Holger....and his replacement.

Over and over and over again. Tfc and CMNT.

I hope the change sticks.

habstfc
01-04-2015, 12:33 AM
CTV reporting he signed an 18 month contract with LA Galaxy. He will make 6 million annualy. 6 million next year and pro-rated 3 million this year. Overpriced if you ask me for a non striker.

BuSaPuNk
01-04-2015, 01:09 AM
CTV reporting he signed an 18 month contract with LA Galaxy. He will make 6 million annualy. 6 million next year and pro-rated 3 million this year. Overpriced if you ask me for a non striker.

Way overpriced. Worse contract then Defoes tbh. Glad we didn't get stuck with him.

Now we get to see people come out od the woodwork across the leauge to support the player just because of the team he used to play for yay.

Can't wait for people to make excuses to wear LFC kits at games ffs.

TorontoGooner
01-04-2015, 05:32 AM
Way overpriced. Worse contract then Defoes tbh. Glad we didn't get stuck with him.

Now we get to see people come out od the woodwork across the leauge to support the player just because of the team he used to play for yay.

Can't wait for people to make excuses to wear LFC kits at games ffs.

In all honesty though, from a business perspective, it would've made sense. All those shirt sales around the world as a consequence. Plus we have an extra 8000 seats this year (that we aren't selling).

Less Liverpool fans is completely fine with me though

ensco
01-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Actually a pretty good contract, given caliber of marketing impact, and length of deal. The risk is $9M total.

Striking to compare that to what Defoe will wind up costing. Gerrard will sell some jerseys, a lot more than Defoe did. Even ignoring that, it's ugly.

We have already paid $16M for Defoe, and anyone who thinks we're getting much of a transfer for him needs to pass the bong. MLSE will probably be thrilled if someone will just take over the deal, but even that may be above market (who exactly will commit $18M for an injury-prone 32 year old that has been out of elite football for a year?).

There is a real chance that TFC can't move Defoe except on loan, and that the ultimate cost of Defoe is going to wind up being a lot higher, given he has $18M left on his deal.

Greatest Ripoff
01-04-2015, 11:39 AM
We have already paid $16M for Defoe, and anyone who thinks we're getting much of a transfer for him needs to pass the bong.

Not too sure about this. I really can't see Toronto getting less then the reported £6 million they paid for him. It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers. Look at some of the fees paid in England at the beginning of this season for lower league strikers.

Britt Assombalonga to Nottingham Forest £5 million
Leonardo Ulloa to Leicester £7 million
Ross McCormack to Fulham £11 million
Enner Valencia to West Ham £12 million

There are a lot of clubs desperate for goals. I think it will be Defoe's length of contract that will put off clubs, not a transfer fee of £6 million. When you think about all of the premiership clubs chasing the Sky money, it is not that much.

Yohan
01-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Not too sure about this. I really can't see Toronto getting less then the reported £6 million they paid for him. It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers. Look at some of the fees paid in England at the beginning of this season for lower league strikers.

There are a lot of clubs desperate for goals. I think it will be Defoe's length of contract that will put off clubs, not a transfer fee of £6 million. When you think about all of the premiership clubs chasing the Sky money, it is not that much.
none of these guys are 32 and have Defoe kind of wages already

Supporting
01-04-2015, 01:20 PM

"I don't care if we win all the time" -v00d00daddy. Never gonna take you seriously after that comment...

ensco
01-04-2015, 01:34 PM

I won't derail this here but am happy to outline the case in the Defoe thread on why I would bet anyone $1000 that TFC will not get close to £6 million for Defoe.

Villa TFC
01-04-2015, 01:36 PM
It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers.

True...but likely not true when it comes to Defoe. The world thinks we're desperate to get rid of him and that he's desperate to play in England. That makes it a buyer's market when it comes to Defoe.

Richard
01-04-2015, 01:41 PM
The good thing is the front office wont be able to use the "substantial sum of money" angle if its not true this time around. Everyone will know what the final price is going to be.

Supporting
01-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I won't derail this here but am happy to outline the case in the Defoe thread on why I would bet anyone $1000 that TFC will not get close to £6 million for Defoe.

i'd take that bet.

RedsYNWA
01-04-2015, 08:05 PM
i'd take that bet.

me too

PopePouri
01-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Same here

jabbronies
01-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Glad Gerrard isn't coming to Toronto. Not what we need. We need someone to compliment our Current DPs - Bradley and Gilberto. Someone who can relieve some of the pressure on Bradley in the mid and help free up Gilberto. I don't think Gerrard is that player.

We need someone with legs left to play on.

scooter
01-05-2015, 09:14 PM
stevie rocked again in fa cup

OgtheDim
01-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Best tweet of the night:

LAG prospect scores in FA Cup.

Areathrasher
01-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Best tweet of the night:

I liked the `but can he do it on a sweltering Wednesday night in Houston`from Matt Doyle :lol:

ag futbol
01-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Unless we can somehow reason the price of an unsettled, recently injured, 32 year old striker on a big contract increases after playing half a year of football in a league miles below the EPL in quality, I'm inclined to believe we are not getting six million pounds from this.

Fort York Redcoat
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Best tweet of the night:

I liked the `but can he do it on a sweltering Wednesday night in Houston`from Matt Doyle :lol:

lol for Doyle. Let's just hope we don't become the equivalent to "Sent to Coventry..."

Carts
01-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Glad Gerrard isn't coming to Toronto. Not what we need. We need someone to compliment our Current DPs - Bradley and Gilberto. Someone who can relieve some of the pressure on Bradley in the mid and help free up Gilberto. I don't think Gerrard is that player.

We need someone with legs left to play on.

I actually think Gerrard would do exactly that... Relieve Bradley & service to Gilberto...

His legs aren't an issue, he plays hard-90mins week-in / week-out in the Prem, including mid-week cup matches (sometimes in but-f*ck nowhere Europa League matches with bad travel)...

I don't understand people saying "he doesn't have the legs" to play in a league far-worse than the EPL, when he has the legs to play in the EPL... That makes no sense at all...

He's 99% on his way to LAG, so the point is moot, but age isn't everything when determining someone's fitness/endurance/"legs" - every athlete is different...

Robbie Keane is the same age - and has been awesome for LA...

Chris Chelios was an effective, full time defenceman in pro-puck at 40...

Every athlete is different, and if a player can captain, lead, and be the BEST PLAYER on an EPL team, playing full 90's every week & mid-week matches - I'LL TAKE THAT IN A HEARTBEAT - no matter what club said player comes from...

If the Mancs have a 35-year-old, who is captain, plays full 90's every week, is their best player, and wants to come to Toronto - sign him up!

Carts...

Gringo Starr
01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree 100% with Kool aid man Oh Yeaahh!, plus with only an 18 month contract the risk isn't that bad would have been good to have that character around the team for a bit, would have been a nice change from all the tin men who have populated the roster.

brad
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
I actually think Gerrard would do exactly that... Relieve Bradley & service to Gilberto...

His legs aren't an issue, he plays hard-90mins week-in / week-out in the Prem, including mid-week cup matches (sometimes in but-f*ck nowhere Europa League matches with bad travel)...

I don't understand people saying "he doesn't have the legs" to play in a league far-worse than the EPL, when he has the legs to play in the EPL... That makes no sense at all...

He's 99% on his way to LAG, so the point is moot, but age isn't everything when determining someone's fitness/endurance/"legs" - every athlete is different...

Every athlete is different, and if a player can captain, lead, and be the BEST PLAYER on an EPL team, playing full 90's every week & mid-week matches - I'LL TAKE THAT IN A HEARTBEAT - no matter what club said player comes from...

If the Mancs have a 35-year-old, who is captain, plays full 90's every week, is their best player, and wants to come to Toronto - sign him up!

Carts...

There is an assumption made on this board time and time again that age is what matters, not what you so rightfully point out there is far more to the picture.

When I posted I didn't want hm, I assumed a typical 4 year DP contract which does run a big risk in the latter stages that the players production decrease. But a 2-year contract - I think that would be a solid signing here.
And I say that as a Man United fan that feel completely torn every time he plays as whether or not to cheer or boo him :hump:. To your point though - at 35 years old - Scholes and Giggs were two of the best players in the EPL and continued to produce at 37.

cmonyoureds
01-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Carts...

Ummm not sure Stevie Me himself agrees with you on that one.
And I quote:

"Yes. There was more than one moment that has made me come to this decision, but I think the key conversation or moment was with the manager when he sat me down not so long ago and said it was time to manage my games for me and for the team. I'm bright enough to realise it is the right thing for everyone, but when you've been a starter and a mainstay in the team for such a long time, it was a very difficult conversation to have with the manager. I accept it and I'll continue to give everything I've got, whether I'm starting, coming off the bench or whatever, but that was the key conversation that swung me to deciding to come away for a short while."

Sounds to me like the legs are going. But feel free to ignore this in a fanboy dismissal of the facts AND get in a cheap slag on the Mancs at the same time.

Carts
01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Ummm not sure Stevie Me himself agrees with you on that one.
And I quote:

"Yes. There was more than one moment that has made me come to this decision, but I think the key conversation or moment was with the manager when he sat me down not so long ago and said it was time to manage my games for me and for the team. I'm bright enough to realise it is the right thing for everyone, but when you've been a starter and a mainstay in the team for such a long time, it was a very difficult conversation to have with the manager. I accept it and I'll continue to give everything I've got, whether I'm starting, coming off the bench or whatever, but that was the key conversation that swung me to deciding to come away for a short while."

Sounds to me like the legs are going. But feel free to ignore this in a fanboy dismissal of the facts AND get in a cheap slag on the Mancs at the same time.

Cheap slag on the Mancs? Sorry I don't get this....
I'm saying I'd gladly sign a player from a rival (this league or any other) if they're going to be a good addition for TFC....

And ya, a 35-year-old would need to manage his legs in the EPL - but that doesn't mean they couldn't TCB here... The EPL moves WAY FASTER than the MLS...

To sum up, not talking just about Gerrard but about any potential players coming in - age is not a single determining factor in whether a player still has it... Every athlete is different - and it's just one small piece of the puzzle...

Carts...