PDA

View Full Version : Houston signs Cubo Torres to DP contract

Haddy
12-23-2014, 10:12 PM
http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2014/12/houston-dynamo-sign-mexican-forward-erick-cubo-torres-designated-player

Early gift for Owen Coyle.

OgtheDim
12-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Big news for the Dynamo. A young reliable starting forward is something you can build a team around.

I'm pretty sure most of the league was wanting him but balked at the loan until June deal. This was the piece that had to fall into place for a bunch of other trades to start happening.

I fully expect a lot of within MLS moves to start happening now.

ensco
12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
^I'd be interested in Giles Barnes up front. The guy is a load. He'd pair well with Gilberto.

Although of course he's similar to a healthy, effective Dike. Don't know if that's something we can rely on.

Brooker
12-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Wait, Owen Coyle is coaching Houston?!

Canary10
12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it's a little fishy this was announced in the evening of the day before Christmas eve?

MightyDM
12-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it's a little fishy this was announced in the evening of the day before Christmas eve?

If you read the article closely, it sounds like the league paid the transfer fee - a bit like the Dempsey deal, they chose the club for him.

Gringo Starr
12-26-2014, 12:03 AM
On the plus side at least he'll be in the west

Areathrasher
12-28-2014, 04:59 PM
If you read the article closely, it sounds like the league paid the transfer fee - a bit like the Dempsey deal, they chose the club for him.

It reads like that as the League had the option to buy him, not Houston or any other club.

Houston were the only club that would pay the fee for him.

The Houston Dynamo have emerged as the frontrunner to secure the services of Torres after the LA Galaxy and Seattle Sounders passed on the chance to acquire the 21-year-old from Chivas Guadalajara, sources have confirmed to Goal USA.
The Dynamo have stepped up to meet the $7.5 million asking price for Torres, who joined Chivas USA on a loan with an option to buy prior to the 2014 MLS season. MLS has delayed in pulling the trigger on that purchase option until a suitable buyer could be secured. One team that had been believed to be a possibility, the Chicago Fire, went in another direction with their designated player plans, leaving the Dynamo as the best bet to land Torres.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2014/12/17/7180582/sources-houston-dynamo-emerge-as-frontrunner-in-erick-cubo