PDA

View Full Version : Doneil Henry Appreciation Thread

mowe
12-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Work permit application was successful, Henry is going to West Ham. Our first homegrown signing has been sold to a Premier League club (by way of Cyprus, but still, pretty cool).

One of my favourite players, bled TFC and Canada red. Hopefully he has a great career in Europe.

OgtheDim
12-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Onwards and upwards. Will remember that goal this season against Columbus for a LOOOONG time.

barticusz
12-22-2014, 01:07 PM
A role model for all Academy players to follow. A big thank you to Doneil for being a great team player, and best of luck to him in his future.

Canary10
12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
HUGE congratulations to Doneil. Absolutely amazing! We'll miss you at TFC, but super proud you're taking this step!

ManUtd4ever
12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Definitely a watershed moment for our Academy.

I wish Doneil success with West Ham, and I hope he ultimately reaches his potential there.

Phil
12-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Looking in his eyes that last home game when he came over to the south end, it was something he knew was happening.

All the best to him, such a great guy with a bright future ahead!

jloome
12-22-2014, 03:10 PM
He deserves this shot so much. Anyone remember how green he was when he first signed? Bled red. I'm now a partial West Ham fan.

JayMolly
12-22-2014, 03:47 PM
All the best Doneil.
Hope to see you in action as we watch the matches played over-the-pond. . . .
J&M

Cashcleaner
12-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Man, I wish Henry the best of luck. The guy must be on Cloud 9 right now.

levyashin
12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm FOREVER BLOWING BUBBLES
Pretty bubbles in the air!!!

flamehawk
12-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Doneil Henry completely deserves this opportunity and I really hope he furthers his career and becomes a leading CB. Always thought he was a great player, despite all the doubters.

I think he will be tough to replace on our roster though.

JuliquE
12-22-2014, 10:29 PM
*tear*

Supporting
12-22-2014, 11:17 PM
do we get money for this trade? Or no cause we first trade him to cyprus?

notthesun
12-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I'll be following him closely. He's got a great future.

jloome
12-23-2014, 01:01 AM
do we get money for this trade? Or no cause we first trade him to cyprus?

I heard second-hand that Devos was reporting we got $1.5M out of the deal.

Yohan
12-23-2014, 01:53 AM
I heard second-hand that Devos was reporting we got $1.5M out of the deal.http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-defender-henry-has-work-permit-approved-for-move-to-west-ham/

Graeme
12-23-2014, 08:14 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-defender-henry-has-work-permit-approved-for-move-to-west-ham/

Lots of new quotes from Nelsen in there. He clearly thought a lot of Henry.

mastermixer
12-23-2014, 08:27 AM
I heard second-hand that Devos was reporting we got $1.5M out of the deal.

Yeah but doesn't the Cyprus club that bought him get the transfer fee?

Jamaicanadian
12-23-2014, 08:30 AM
West Ham was clearly more interested in Henry than Toronto, which favoured rookie Nick Hagglund as captain Steven Caldwell’s partner in central defence as the MLS season wore on.

Yeah that confused me. Was wondering why Vanney basically benched him when he took over down the stretch. However, it all made perfect sense when I heard about the sale-loan back.

Happy for Doniel! Hope he realizes his potential!!

flamehawk
12-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah but doesn't the Cyprus club that bought him get the transfer fee?

I wonder if you're allowed to set a sell-on fee at 80% or something.

ensco
12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Nelsen being quoted at length ... and only Nelsen quoted.

This can only happen at TFC, where a major local kid gets sold to the EPL and the club can't/won't discuss it.

I wonder if the fact that the club has been essentially silent on this is because the club got hosed, and the Cypriots got a lot (or all) of the West Ham fee.

OgtheDim
12-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Somebody on Media desk for MLSE is asleep this week.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-ham-boss-allardyce-confirms-plans-sign-doneil-henry-4054708#.VJmitv8L0ZA

ensco
12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Best of luck to Doneil and his family. They must all be on cloud nine. All anyone can ask for in life is a shot. Good for him!

ensco
12-23-2014, 12:20 PM

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-ham-boss-allardyce-confirms-plans-sign-doneil-henry-4054708#.VJmitv8L0ZA

I am waiting for Earl Cochrane to put out a PR on Dec 26 denying that Doneil has been sold.

The faces change, but the song remains the same.

Rudi
12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
TFC's media dept. is all on vacation this week. No need for conspiracy theories.

Canary10
12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
"As of today, Joao Plata is still a TFC player."
-Earl Cochrane

Meanwhile, on the same day......

http://typicaltfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joao-Plata-introduced-at-LDU-Quito-e1343077119174.jpg

ensco
12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
TFC's media dept. is all on vacation this week. No need for conspiracy theories.

Who cares about the media department this week? It is not a conspiracy theory to find the club's handling of Henry's status to be deceptive and/or misleading all season.

Richard
12-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to make a post on the official website vacation or not. Its not like they shouldn't already have a draft somewhere considering they expected the sale to go through.

Its funny, you would think that selling Henry to an EPL club would be front page banner news on the TFC website. "TFC academy graduate; Henry sold to 4th place English side West Ham"

I mean I can see why they never announced the Turkey deal, although hiding it from fans was wrong, it doesn't sound as good and we know it was to exploit a permit loophole which they didn't want to publicize.

This is just plain weird to me.

Suds
12-23-2014, 03:45 PM
All the best to the kid. What a huge opportunity and step up this is for him. To be exposed to a higher level of coaching, players, program, and everything that goes along with it.

Be great to see him seize the opportunity, be successful, and that translate to our Canadian team.

He set a goal and reached it. How can you not feel great for the guy!

notthesun
12-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Given this entire thing was engineered to get Henry to the Premier League, I really don't mind that TFC was secretive about his transfer to and loan back from Apollon. It would have been weirder for them to announce the transfer but not be able to mention it was part of a move to West Ham.

ensco
12-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Given this entire thing was engineered to get Henry to the Premier League, I really don't mind that TFC was secretive about his transfer to and loan back from Apollon. It would have been weirder for them to announce the transfer but not be able to mention it was part of a move to West Ham.

How do you know that? It's not the obvious conclusion.

The obvious conclusion is that Henry was moving end of 2014, but Bez pre-sold him (for a lot less than $1.5M I'll wager) to create allocation space last season. Which would mean they transferred allocation dollars forward, for a team that went nowhere, so there's no allocation dollars for 2015, and less dough (maybe a lot less dough?) than they would have had if they'd just done nothing, to boot.

Because there was a stupid playoff guarantee, and all that.

Impossible to know, but this whole cloak and dagger routine around Doneil makes one seriously wonder.

MightyDM
12-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Allardyce comments about Nelsen are interesting. We clearly have lost something there. Don't see Allardyce or Ferguson or even David Moyes saying that about Vanney.

Pint
12-23-2014, 10:10 PM

The obvious conclusion is that Henry was moving end of 2014, but Bez pre-sold him (for a lot less than $1.5M I'll wager) to create allocation space last season. Which would mean they transferred allocation dollars forward, for a team that went nowhere, so there's no allocation dollars for 2015, and less dough (maybe a lot less dough?) than they would have had if they'd just done nothing, to boot.

Impossible to know, but this whole cloak and dagger routine around Doneil makes one seriously wonder.

or... after the training stints he had last year, Aldardyce knew he wanted him but it would be difficult to get him. TFC worked with West Ham and Henry to make the move to Cyprus where the team receives a fee and allocation $$ while keeping a sell on %, TFC and Henry know that getting exceptional status will be difficult so the backup plan is engineered with Cyprus being the back door. Now being open about the move in the offseason may draw some red flags to the plan so they decide that keeping it secret would best for the player and team. Fast forward to now and Henry gets his work permit and will have a fee associated with him again and since we have a sell on clause we get $$ and allocation again essentially taking less actual $$ but equal or more allocation.

Now we are both just weaving stories but either could be true or a combination. We have a tendency to point to the most negative scenario all the time but maybe, just maybe our GM who also worked at the league and had a hand in the last CBA knew what he was doing in this case.

ensco
12-23-2014, 10:40 PM
or... after the training stints he had last year, Aldardyce knew he wanted him but it would be difficult to get him. TFC worked with West Ham and Henry to make the move to Cyprus where the team receives a fee and allocation $$ while keeping a sell on %, TFC and Henry know that getting exceptional status will be difficult so the backup plan is engineered with Cyprus being the back door. Now being open about the move in the offseason may draw some red flags to the plan so they decide that keeping it secret would best for the player and team. Fast forward to now and Henry gets his work permit and will have a fee associated with him again and since we have a sell on clause we get $$ and allocation again essentially taking less actual $$ but equal or more allocation.

Now we are both just weaving stories but either could be true or a combination. We have a tendency to point to the most negative scenario all the time but maybe, just maybe our GM who also worked at the league and had a hand in the last CBA knew what he was doing in this case.

I don't see why TFC would have had any need to resolve any of this at the beginnng of 2014.

I wanted to believe in Bez but benefit of the doubt time is over, Bez has mishandled a bunch of stuff, the whole Laba thing, making the announcement about Defoe being in play but then not moving him, hiring Vanney without a process ... I mean, watch Bez being interviewed, he is just not that guy.

Ajax TFC
12-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Allardyce comments about Nelsen are interesting. We clearly have lost something there. Don't see Allardyce or Ferguson or even David Moyes saying that about Vanney.
There's lots of people in football who have the respect of top people. We all already knew about the respect that people in England have for Nelsen before he even arrived here. That doesn't automatically make him a good coach, and the fact that people in England know Nelsen and not Vanney shouldn't mean anything. People in MLS know Vanney, and a certain Bruce Arena (you know, the guy who keeps winning the cup) has voiced his support for him, and that should count for more than any international backing

notthesun
12-24-2014, 03:22 AM

I think it's fairly clear what happened. Henry trained with West Ham, they wanted him, and Henry wanted to go.

We did him a favor by selling him to a club in Cyprus so he could get a work permit to play in England, and also by getting him loaned back to us so he wouldn't be stuck in Cyprus for a year. We benefit by getting Henry for the year and by getting allocation dollars we couldn't get otherwise because he had to go through Cyprus to get to West Ham. Apollon benefits by getting a transfer fee. West Ham gets the player they wanted, and Henry gets his dream move.

It's a win-win-win-win.

Actual mismanagement of this situation would have seen us ship Henry off to Cyprus at the start of the season with no explanation, or worse, block the move entirely.

Yohan
12-24-2014, 05:37 AM
those 'training' stints, they really are at least part trials...

ensco
12-24-2014, 07:40 AM

I think it's fairly clear what happened. Henry trained with West Ham, they wanted him, and Henry wanted to go.

We did him a favor by selling him to a club in Cyprus so he could get a work permit to play in England, and also by getting him loaned back to us so he wouldn't be stuck in Cyprus for a year. We benefit by getting Henry for the year and by getting allocation dollars we couldn't get otherwise because he had to go through Cyprus to get to West Ham. Apollon benefits by getting a transfer fee. West Ham gets the player they wanted, and Henry gets his dream move.

It's a win-win-win-win.

Actual mismanagement of this situation would have seen us ship Henry off to Cyprus at the start of the season with no explanation, or worse, block the move entirely.

What does the ownership of a guy's contract have to do with anything? I could see some sort of argument if it was a meaningful club, that somehow showed Henry was an exceptional player, but a nothing team in Cyprus? That team/league are smaller minnows than MLS.

It is his nationality that creates the problem in getting a UK work permit. I see nothing in any web search implying any advantage conferred on an applicant whose contract is owned by an EU team. The appeals panel for UK work permits is appointed by the FA, these people would know that the Cyprus league is a smaller minnow than MLS.

Areathrasher
12-24-2014, 09:19 AM

He also said there’s a chance the club from Cyprus could sell Henry off to another team in Europe, but only after first consulting with TFC. If Henry was sold, Toronto would receive compensation, but Bezbatchenko wouldn’t offer specifics.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/doneil-henry-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer/

ensco
12-24-2014, 09:36 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/doneil-henry-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer/

The question remains, why?

That story fits the narrative that they were burning the furniture to heat the house last year. There is never any mention of an EPL option being part of the thinking (and like I said, I don't know what that thinking could have been).

Canary10
12-24-2014, 09:44 AM
I would love someone to explain how having your contract owned by a club in Cyprus for a few months gets you a work permit in the UK. I honestly don't understand that. Jloome, you've written a lot about that. Do you know?

MightyDM
12-24-2014, 09:53 AM
There's lots of people in football who have the respect of top people. We all already knew about the respect that people in England have for Nelsen before he even arrived here. That doesn't automatically make him a good coach, and the fact that people in England know Nelsen and not Vanney shouldn't mean anything. People in MLS know Vanney, and a certain Bruce Arena (you know, the guy who keeps winning the cup) has voiced his support for him, and that should count for more than any international backing

One of the arts of management is the identification of talent. The best in the business think Nelsen has that - losing it is a loss both from the knowledge perspective, and from recruitment, particularly overseas. Vanney may have other qualities, like giving a good interview, but not that. So it's a loss.

Areathrasher
12-24-2014, 09:53 AM
The question remains, why?

That story fits the narrative that they were burning the furniture to heat the house last year. There is never any mention of an EPL option being part of the thinking (and like I said, I don't know what that thinking could have been).

You've lost me tbh

ensco
12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
You've lost me tbh

Bottom line: they had a cap problem last spring. Leiweke told Bez: do what you need to do without wrecking the team. Bez's solution: sell Henry forward at price X (my guess: a lot less than WHU ultimately paid) to receive the allocation in 2014 (and not in 2015, which is what would have happened if TFC had just held Henry in 2014).

Bez gambled and lost, took a lesser amount assuming Henry wouldn't really be sold to a West Ham. So we have nothing (or much less than we should have had) to show for it, whatever we received last year was used to keep Caldwell, or whatever.

Nelsen's role in those news stories, and Bez's non-role, is circumstantial evidence to this: I suspect this was a source of conflict between Bez and Nelsen, Bez didn't believe Nelsen when he said he rated Henry as a legit prospect to sell. Nelsen is enjoying turning the knife now.

You cannot be a cap whiz if you can't evaluate talent. The two are not separable.

Richard
12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I would love someone to explain how having your contract owned by a club in Cyprus for a few months gets you a work permit in the UK. I honestly don't understand that. Jloome, you've written a lot about that. Do you know?

Jloome did post on how it works out, essentially what happens is that Henry's agent buys him property, then he gets citizenship through that from the Turkish govt because of the poor economy. The rest is just a formailty with the EPL FA. Apparently Turkey gives you a golden ticket.

Ok.... so this is probably how this goes down:

-- Kia Joorabchian realizes there is a loophole in Cyprus' passport law with respect to football; the $2.5M required to automatically get citizenship is a pretty low barrier, especially when there's nothing in the regulation that says you must MAINTAIN that level of income. Just that you have it when you apply. This gives him a chance to test whether he can use the nation to regular get around work permit regs.

-- He approaches Limassol, one of several clubs in Cyprus hit hard by the economic crisis there and needing an infusion of investment. He can't do so directly, but he CAN arrange for the club to get a slice of a bunch of deals.

-- He opens a joint account in Cyprus between one of his companies and the player in question. He purchases a local property (pretty cheap for a guy of his enormous wealth) and starts a company. Bingo, because the player is jointly assigned to the account, or has one started for him with a $2.5M deposit, and is employed by the company in Cyprus, he gets a fast-tracked passport.

-- Joorabchian has it written into the sell-on club's contract with the player that any upfront money is granted back. OR, if the joint account thing worked, he doesn't even have to do that.

The sell-on club maintains the illusion of propriety by applying for a work permit. In the meantime, the passport app is already underway. During the appeal process for the permit, or at the initial hearing if its granted, they point out that he now has a cyprus passport. He's granted a work permit. We don't hear what the argument was during the process, so the backdoor through cyprus isn't publicly discussed.

Something like that.

If it works, expect other Canadian and low-ranked-nation youth stars to use it. Joorabchian (or whoever, others will do it if it's a legal loophole) just has to cut the intermediary cyprus club a portion of the transfer each time, take a big chunk himself and, bob's your uncle, without spending an actual dime (except for buying house, a pretty low-end investment) he's raking in millions in agent fees.

It doesn't matter. His agent is now probably working with Joorabchian to get him a cyprus passport; there's a loophole based on declared assets. So all they have to do is have Joorbanian buy him the assets, then have a clause in the west ham contract referring any cyprus assets back to Joorbanian and bingo, Cyprus passport allowing EU work.

But it takes a while and they probably figure they might as well just appeal based on "wonderkid" status; there's a clause in the Brit system that you can appeal the max appearance regulations and national rating if the player is considered a major prospect, but it's rarely granted these days.

It's something like that. Toronto probably felt it was too risky so they took the money from the cyprus club upfront; that way, if the passport scam falls apart they're still compensated for their player.

Canary10
12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Jloome did post on how it works out, essentially what happens is that Henry's agent buys him property, then he gets citizenship through that from the Turkish govt because of the poor economy. The rest is just a formailty with the EPL FA. Apparently Turkey gives you a golden ticket.

Has any of this actually happened? Shouldn't be hard to know if he has a passport, no? Is April to now even enough time to get a passport?

ensco
12-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Jezz, that is crazy, I have trouble believing that this could work. But I respect jloome, so maybe it's possible.

ag futbol
12-24-2014, 11:16 AM
You cannot be a cap whiz if you can't evaluate talent. The two are not separable.
He's really a guy who should be sitting in the back of the office with a stack of papers and a calculator. Someone else should say "I want this guy" and he should be tasked with figuring out how to do it or if it can be done at a good price. Full GM role is a bit laughable.

Areathrasher
12-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Bottom line: they had a cap problem last spring. Leiweke told Bez: do what you need to do without wrecking the team. Bez's solution: sell Henry forward at price X (my guess: a lot less than WHU ultimately paid) to receive the allocation in 2014 (and not in 2015, which is what would have happened if TFC had just held Henry in 2014).

Bez gambled and lost, took a lesser amount assuming Henry wouldn't really be sold to a West Ham. So we have nothing (or much less than we should have had) to show for it, whatever we received last year was used to keep Caldwell, or whatever.

Nelsen's role in those news stories, and Bez's non-role, is circumstantial evidence to this: I suspect this was a source of conflict between Bez and Nelsen, Bez didn't believe Nelsen when he said he rated Henry as a legit prospect to sell. Nelsen is enjoying turning the knife now.

That's a big reach.

Richard
12-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Its a little disappointing were even having the transfer discussion at all, not that I don't think its valid because of the secrecy involved, I just wish everything wasn't so muddy every time with this club

So back on topic, best moment for me last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTNQK2VxUY

ensco
12-24-2014, 11:36 AM
That's a big reach.

Not as big as jloome's

Something TFC don't want to talk about is going on, that is for sure.

Canary10
12-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Not as big as jloome's

I really hope any cap crunch wasn't caused by Julio Cesar.

Canary10
12-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Its a little disappointing were even having the transfer discussion at all, not that I don't think its valid because of the secrecy involved, I just wish everything wasn't so muddy every time with this club

So back on topic, best moment for me last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTNQK2VxUY

That was amazing. Thanks for the post. It is really incredible that Henry didn't appear on any of MLSsoccer.com's lists of top young players. Those writers should be walking around with their tails between their legs right now.

RealG-TFC
12-24-2014, 12:00 PM
That was amazing. Thanks for the post. It is really incredible that Henry didn't appear on any of MLSsoccer.com's lists of top young players. Those writers should be walking around with their tails between their legs right now.

And still they are too busy apotheosizing Yedlin while Henry is on his way to a Top 4 club.

ensco
12-24-2014, 12:23 PM
And still they are too busy apotheosizing Yedlin while Henry is on his way to a Top 4 club.

Great use of the word "apotheosizing"!

You the man!

Areathrasher
12-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Not as big as jloome's

Jloome's theory has some legs to it though - see Juan Agudelo

I mean whats more likely

A. TFC are in such a cap crunch they have to call in Kia Joochabarain to concoct a deal to sell Henry and loan him back and bank the allocation.

B. Big Sam wants Henry that bad after his trial that he calls in Kia Joochabarain to concoct a deal to get around/help with the WP process.

West Ham have a much bigger history with Joochabarain than TFC do as well.

ensco
12-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Jloome's theory has some legs to it though - see Juan Agudelo

I mean whats more likely

A. TFC are in such a cap crunch they have to call in Kia Joochabarain to concoct a deal to sell Henry and loan him back and bank the allocation.

B. Big Sam wants Henry that bad after his trial that he calls in Kia Joochabarain to concoct a deal to get around/help with the WP process.

West Ham have a much bigger history with Joochabarain than TFC do as well.

I don't see TFC's compelling interest in option B without getting paid properly. Doneil isn't a free agent, why not just keep him? Unless you don't rate him, of course, which is the essence of this.

Beach_Red
12-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Not as big as jloome's

As usual.

notthesun
12-24-2014, 04:28 PM
What does the ownership of a guy's contract have to do with anything? I could see some sort of argument if it was a meaningful club, that somehow showed Henry was an exceptional player, but a nothing team in Cyprus? That team/league are smaller minnows than MLS.

It is his nationality that creates the problem in getting a UK work permit. I see nothing in any web search implying any advantage conferred on an applicant whose contract is owned by an EU team. The appeals panel for UK work permits is appointed by the FA, these people would know that the Cyprus league is a smaller minnow than MLS.

Loophole in the system with respect to getting a passport from Cyprus as jloome posted.

Just look at the timeline. November 2013, he trains with West Ham and "absolutely smashed it" as de Vos put it back then. April 2014, we sell him to Apollon and Joorabchian gets to work on his passport. December 2014, he gets his permit and West Ham immediately swoops in.

It's connect-the-dots.

ensco
12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Loophole in the system with respect to getting a passport from Cyprus as jloome posted.

Just look at the timeline. November 2013, he trains with West Ham and "absolutely smashed it" as de Vos put it back then. April 2014, we sell him to Apollon and Joorabchian gets to work on his passport. December 2014, he gets his permit and West Ham immediately swoops in.

It's connect-the-dots.

Could be. I dunno, doesn't line up for me. No way to know.

With that, outta here, Merry Xmas to all. Go Heat! (tomorrow anyway)

PAOK17
12-24-2014, 06:37 PM
That's twice you've mentioned Turkey instead of Cyprus. What does Turkey, a non-EU nation have anything to do with Henry being sold to a Cypriot team and then sold again to an EPL team?

The reason I ask is because Turkey/Cyprus is a sensitive issue for many.

Richard
12-24-2014, 06:47 PM
That's twice you've mentioned Turkey instead of Cyprus. What does Turkey, a non-EU nation have anything to do with Henry being sold to a Cypriot team and then sold again to an EPL team?

The reason I ask is because Turkey/Cyprus is a sensitive issue for many.

Oh my mistake, not sure why I typed Turkey. Maybe I was thinking Apollon Limassol was in the Turkish league.

PAOK17
12-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Oh my mistake, not sure why I typed Turkey. Maybe I was thinking Apollon Limassol was in the Turkish league.
Haha ok my bad! I was confused for a moment there. It's all good.

Greatest Ripoff
12-26-2014, 02:38 AM
If you have an EU passport you don't need a work permit or to have a work permit hearing to work in the UK. No hearing either, if you qualify for a visa(ancestry, youth mob, ect). You fill out the required paperwork and submitted to the revelant authorities. The only time you have a work permit hearing is if you do not automatically qualify for a visa but you employer wants to put a case forward why you should be granted a visa.

If Henry had a Cypriot passport, there would have been no hearing or any visa required.

jloome
12-26-2014, 01:33 PM
If you have an EU passport you don't need a work permit or to have a work permit hearing to work in the UK. No hearing either, if you qualify for a visa(ancestry, youth mob, ect). You fill out the required paperwork and submitted to the revelant authorities. The only time you have a work permit hearing is if you do not automatically qualify for a visa but you employer wants to put a case forward why you should be granted a visa.

If Henry had a Cypriot passport, there would have been no hearing or any visa required.

They gave DeAndre Yedlin a work permit and Seattle fans think it was because it was clear he was going to get a Latvian passport through his grandparent. If they could show Henry met Cyprus' requirements for an EU passport, they may have just approved it to avoid further bureaucratic holdup or cost. Look, the place has very lax rules now on getting a passport, all of which could be met by a wealthy guy like Joorachabian; if anyone thinks he went to Cyprus for no purpose other than potentially to play there, well... I've got some swamp land in Kirkland Lake that is for sale, really pretty about this time of year.

TFC07
12-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Who cares how Henry got into UK, point is that this huge news for him and TFC.

Now TFC can sell their program to young kids who want to play in bigger leagues in Europe. Also, I hope this motives TFC to invest more into their academy program so they can sell more players overseas and make money off it.

ensco
12-26-2014, 02:09 PM
They gave DeAndre Yedlin a work permit and Seattle fans think it was because it was clear he was going to get a Latvian passport through his grandparent. If they could show Henry met Cyprus' requirements for an EU passport, they may have just approved it to avoid further bureaucratic holdup or cost. Look, the place has very lax rules now on getting a passport, all of which could be met by a wealthy guy like Joorachabian; if anyone thinks he went to Cyprus for no purpose other than potentially to play there, well... I've got some swamp land in Kirkland Lake that is for sale, really pretty about this time of year.

jloome, I have my doubts about this. The "internationalization" of the EPL is a front page story over there, it's everyone's favourite whipping boy for English suckitude in Euros and World Cups, and there is a real immigration backlask going on in the UK against "polish plumbers" and other perceived EU passport backdoors into the UK. The scrutiny in the press around this issue is very high, and these super agents aren't popular.

jloome
12-26-2014, 08:01 PM
jloome, I have my doubts about this. The "internationalization" of the EPL is a front page story over there, it's everyone's favourite whipping boy for English suckitude in Euros and World Cups, and there is a real immigration backlask going on in the UK against "polish plumbers" and other perceived EU passport backdoors into the UK. The scrutiny in the press around this issue is very high, and these super agents aren't popular.

Ask yourself how he possibly met the criteria for an exemption. Beyond that, ask why we transferred a player to Cyprus which DOES have lax passport rules, then had him loaned back to us, then had him transferred to the club he was initially linked with. He never set foot in Cyprus yet was contracted to them.

I've spent years covering political loopholes in legislation and I freaking guarantee you something is afoot there.

ensco
12-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Ask yourself how he possibly met the criteria for an exemption. Beyond that, ask why we transferred a player to Cyprus which DOES have lax passport rules, then had him loaned back to us, then had him transferred to the club he was initially linked with. He never set foot in Cyprus yet was contracted to them.

I've spent years covering political loopholes in legislation and I freaking guarantee you something is afoot there.

For sure something is going on. You have the best theory going, that is for sure.

I'm still not sure I clearly see TFC's interest here - how is there enough in it for TFC/MLS for it to be worth it to be an active party to this? I think they sold the player cheap and the rest happened away from them, but who knows?

I still don't see how this could happen without paying people off. If you are right, this could be a massive story in England, once the press over there figure it out. These work permit rules are a big deal, major players have not been able to go there because of them.

jloome
12-26-2014, 09:40 PM
For sure something is going on. You have the best theory going, that is for sure.

I'm still not sure I clearly see TFC's interest here - how is there enough in it for TFC/MLS for it to be worth it to be an active party to this? I think they sold the player cheap and the rest happened away from them, but who knows?

I still don't see how this could happen without paying people off. If you are right, this could be a massive story in England, once the press over there figure it out. These work permit rules are a big deal, major players have not been able to go there because of them.

I think it's interesting that Bez was seen at both a Real Madrid (Barcelona?) home match and at BMO with said superagent right before this happened. I think it's interesting that he has the resources to basically stick in escrow to make a Cyprus passport happen very quickly. And it all comes as that country is desperate to attract foreign investment for its depressed economy. I'd keep an eye on this one; we maybe seeing a few more signings in the Prem that, under normal circumstances, should make people ask questions. There are influential people involved, if the agent in question is one of them.

Doneil hasn't even been Canada's regular starter at center half long enough, let alone the team ranked high enough; the idea that he'd get a youth exemption based on being a superstar is ludicrous.

There was a report a few days ago floating around that TFC got 30% of the transfer as a sell-on. Could be that Bez knows the league's arcane rule, and sell-on fees aren't the same as transfers, so TFC gets to keep the whole thing, instead of apportioning most to the league. If the $3.5M pound figure is accurate, that's $5.4 million, or about $1.6 million in TFC's pocket. The cyprus club gets a chunk of the remainder and the superagent pockets the lion's share. Everyone 'wins' compared to what we would have got back as our assigned portion from MLS, and Henry skips the work permit regs.

Makes sense to me. Plus, it's entirely legal.

flamehawk
12-26-2014, 10:11 PM
I think it's interesting that Bez was seen at both a Real Madrid (Barcelona?) home match and at BMO with said superagent right before this happened. I think it's interesting that he has the resources to basically stick in escrow to make a Cyprus passport happen very quickly. And it all comes as that country is desperate to attract foreign investment for its depressed economy. I'd keep an eye on this one; we maybe seeing a few more signings in the Prem that, under normal circumstances, should make people ask questions. There are influential people involved, if the agent in question is one of them.

Doneil hasn't even been Canada's regular starter at center half long enough, let alone the team ranked high enough; the idea that he'd get a youth exemption based on being a superstar is ludicrous.

There was a report a few days ago floating around that TFC got 30% of the transfer as a sell-on. Could be that Bez knows the league's arcane rule, and sell-on fees aren't the same as transfers, so TFC gets to keep the whole thing, instead of apportioning most to the league. If the $3.5M pound figure is accurate, that's $5.4 million, or about $1.6 million in TFC's pocket. The cyprus club gets a chunk of the remainder and the superagent pockets the lion's share. Everyone 'wins' compared to what we would have got back as our assigned portion from MLS, and Henry skips the work permit regs.

Where did you get the 3.5 million pound figure? I keep reading that it's 1.5million

Richard
12-26-2014, 10:16 PM

So I found the legislation you are talking about.

LINK (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rYnxJoeL8z4J:www.moi.gov.cy/moi/moi.nsf/all/3841F9653CDECCC0C2257C63004498AA/%24file/REVISION%2520OF%2520THE%2520CRITERIA%2520FOR%2520G RANTING%2520AN%2520IMMIGRATION%2520PERMIT-%2520NEW%2520EXPEDITED%2520PROCEDURE%2520.doc%3Fop enelement+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca)

I'm not sure why TFC needed to sell Henry to the Cyprus club, the agent could do everything involving the property part, unless you are right about the sell on clause.

I also found this to be very interesting confirming that there was no intention for him to play there.

3.2 The applicant and his spouse shall confirm that they do not intend to be
employed in Cyprus in any direct or indirect manner.

jloome
12-26-2014, 11:08 PM
So I found the legislation you are talking about.

LINK (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rYnxJoeL8z4J:www.moi.gov.cy/moi/moi.nsf/all/3841F9653CDECCC0C2257C63004498AA/%24file/REVISION%2520OF%2520THE%2520CRITERIA%2520FOR%2520G RANTING%2520AN%2520IMMIGRATION%2520PERMIT-%2520NEW%2520EXPEDITED%2520PROCEDURE%2520.doc%3Fop enelement+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca)

I'm not sure why TFC needed to sell Henry to the Cyprus club, the agent could do everything involving the property part, unless you are right about the sell on clause.

I also found this to be very interesting confirming that there was no intention for him to play there.

The sale to the Cypriot club gives it the sheen of legitimacy, both giving TFC some flexibility with respect to how the transfer is handled and making the paperwork look like he's coming from a European club, not one in MLS.

jloome
12-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Where did you get the 3.5 million pound figure? I keep reading that it's 1.5million

I believe our share is $1.5 million. The transfer was substantially more.

ensco
12-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I have read both $1.5M and GBP 1.5M ($2.3M)

jloome, can't he just get one of these visas?

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

jloome
12-27-2014, 01:27 AM
I have read both $1.5M and GBP 1.5M ($2.3M)

jloome, can't he just get one of these visas?

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

Nope. Scroll down in the eligibility list and it specifically prevents "professional sportspersons" from acquiring it.

Greatest Ripoff
12-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I am speaking as someone who got a visa for the UK two years ago. I can't speak about the sale to Cyprus but the only reason you have a work permit hearing is if you don't have an EU passport or qualify for a visa. West Ham might have argued in that hearing that Henry was an exceptional talent (like miyaichi) or something else.

The need for a hearing shows that Henry has no EU passport and didn't qualified for a visa.

ensco
12-27-2014, 08:05 AM
The fact that there was a hearing makes this murkier. If I understand jloome, that maybe shouldn't have been necessary in his scenario.

Might have been easier to hire some kids to write apps in Spain

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/business/international/at-spains-door-a-welcome-mat-for-entrepreneurs-.html?_r=0

jloome
12-27-2014, 12:59 PM
I am speaking as someone who got a visa for the UK two years ago. I can't speak about the sale to Cyprus but the only reason you have a work permit hearing is if you don't have an EU passport or qualify for a visa. West Ham might have argued in that hearing that Henry was an exceptional talent (like miyaichi) or something else.

The need for a hearing shows that Henry has no EU passport and didn't qualified for a visa.

It seems likely they gave Yedlin a work permit (even though he didn't meet eligibility for time spent with the national team) because he has a Latvian grandmother and would eventually get a Latvian passport. If Doneil's agent could demonstrate he would meet the passport criteria within a matter of months, it likely affected the decision and sped up his processing.

speckles
12-27-2014, 02:39 PM

3.5 million is not correct. Totally out of line for the market, not enough upside for WHU either buying in at that position. 1.5 meets comparability with the market, other recent buy in by other clubs, inline with what they paid for Reid, your looking at 5.5 million to get someone with proven EPL experience as a defender which currently includes a premium as there are not enough to go around!

OgtheDim
12-27-2014, 06:07 PM
1.5 million pounds is the figure that most have quoted.

Areathrasher
12-27-2014, 06:13 PM
1.5m pounds is what West Ham are paying for him now plus what ever was paid in the first place via the Cypriot club.

Or maybe the 1.5m includes the initial payment.

Transparency lol

pdubs
01-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Official!

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20150103/hammers-sign-henry_2236884_4395213

West Ham United FCVerified account‏@whufc_official (https://twitter.com/whufc_official)

NEW SIGNING: Twenty-one year old Henry will wear the No25 shirt and will go straight into Sam Allardyce's first-team squad #WelcomeDoneil (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WelcomeDoneil?src=hash)

Interesting they plan to use him right away or at least be available for selection in the 18.

arsenal
01-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Official!

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20150103/hammers-sign-henry_2236884_4395213

West Ham United FCVerified account‏@whufc_official (https://twitter.com/whufc_official)

NEW SIGNING: Twenty-one year old Henry will wear the No25 shirt and will go straight into Sam Allardyce's first-team squad #WelcomeDoneil (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WelcomeDoneil?src=hash)

Interesting they plan to use him right away or at least be available for selection in the 18.

Think Henry will do quite well in England. One of the key changes I think that will benefit him is a better level of officiating. He is such a physical player that the inconsistent MLS refs really hurt his game. Once he gets a feel for what is and is not allowed (and learns to keep his flailing arms out of the path of the ball) he should do quite well for himself. Certainly seems to have the work ethic and maturity to make a go of it.

pdubs
01-03-2015, 11:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCG5EgFGk

jabbronies
01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's played 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger European players.

Have always heard he was a hard worker - As long as he continues on the upswing he should do well in EPL.
He'll need to bulk up though over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with others.

TFC07
01-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's player 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger Euorpean players.

Have always heard he was a hard worker - As long as he continues on the upswing he should do well in EPL.
He'll need to bulk up thought over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with other.

This is why I don't support youth players going to college instead of signing with pro team when they turn 18.

You're slowing and even hurting your development when playing NCAA soccer than you would playing with pro league (either MLS or USL Pro).

Canary10
01-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's played 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger European players.

He'll need to bulk up though over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with others.

Bulk up? He's a monster already!

Shway
01-03-2015, 01:05 PM

seriously....bulking up is the least of his worries, especially when he has shown his strength against some of the big guys in the league I.e. Eddie Johnson.

Distribution out the back is his only flaw that I have seen, which he will need to work on.
As long as he doesn't play RB I almost think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he is going to do. I am not one of them.

Yohan
01-03-2015, 01:16 PM
seriously....bulking up is the least of his worries, especially when he has shown his strength against some of the big guys in the league I.e. Eddie Johnson.

Distribution out the back is his only flaw that I have seen, which he will need to work on.
As long as he doesn't play RB I almost think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he is going to do. I am not one of them.
also positioning and decision making. not be so reckless and aggressive. and hand waves

MightyDM
01-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Well done Doneil, fantastic that it's confirmed and official. You earned it, and although you will be missed here, we are all so proud of you! Hopefully you are the first of many young Canadians getting this kind of chance.

bigredone
01-03-2015, 01:28 PM
“I love a tackle, I just wanna defend hard.” After he said tackle, a huge sideways grin came upon his face.

BuSaPuNk
01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Fantastic for Doniel. Can't wait to see him make an impact for West Ham. Hope this is the beginning of opportunities for all the good young Canadians being developed.

Greatest Ripoff
01-03-2015, 02:26 PM
When kits go on sale at the end of the year, I will buy a Henry one. Hoping they end up at £15 like last year.

jabbronies
01-03-2015, 05:30 PM

Bulk up is probably the wrong term - He can use a couple more pounds. Nothing crazy.

I'm thinking it's more of a combo a bit more frame and mass. He still looks like a boy out there. Needs to transform into a man. Not sure how else to explain it.

jabbronies
01-03-2015, 05:32 PM
also positioning and decision making. not be so reckless and aggressive. and hand waves

agree with this.

Thomas
01-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I really wish him well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think that he has what it will take to play at that level. I know most people won't want to hear this.

Shway
01-03-2015, 08:04 PM

The reckless challenge and diving in was a thing of 2013.IMO He made a drastic improvement. Also being a 21yo aggressive CB, is not a bad thing.

Yohan
01-03-2015, 08:32 PM
The reckless challenge and diving in was a thing of 2013.IMO He made a drastic improvement. Also being a 21yo aggressive CB, is not a bad thing.
you do realize Henry cost at least 4 PKs this season...

MightyDM
01-03-2015, 11:20 PM
I really wish him well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think that he has what it will take to play at that level. I know most people won't want to hear this.

I think you will be. He has all the physical skills, and the desire and commitment. Plus he is a defender. Much easier to learn how to play defence than create offence - look at the career Ryan Nelsen had, mostly from desire and commitment.

portu
01-05-2015, 11:43 AM
"In sum, it’s a historic day for Henry, his family and friends, Toronto FC and soccer in Canada. If you didn’t already have a Premier League team to support, you do now."
From the end of the article about Henry's move to West Ham on the club website. I thought Tottenham was our "London EPL Club"

barticusz
01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
"In sum, it’s a historic day for Henry, his family and friends, Toronto FC and soccer in Canada. If you didn’t already have a Premier League team to support, you do now."
From the end of the article about Henry's move to West Ham on the club website. I thought Tottenham was our "London EPL Club"

Haha well played. Maybe it will be Shanghai next.

gmacpheetfc
01-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Look for him to feature tomorrow!

Red Skies At Night
01-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Look for him to feature tomorrow!

What makes you say that? From what I'm hearing they don't necessarily want to throw him in at the deep end. Will get time playing with Dev squad before any thought is given to featuring in first team. Allardyce has stated that this purchase is very much "one for the future". He is currently with the first team for training, and to get settled in. West Ham are looking for an extended run in the Cup, so putting an untested rookie into that game is very unlikely from the normally cautious Allardyce.

Yohan
01-05-2015, 03:08 PM
would kinda be funny and sad at same time if Doneil Henry ends up being the only positive thing that came out of Nelsen era (well, maybe Osorio)

pdogg
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Osorio would be Winter era, no? And Henry precedes even him. Bekker, Dike, Caldwell, Richter, Bloom and Aparicio are the only ones I can think of from Nelsen's first year.

gdg_9
01-05-2015, 03:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6nKLg8CEAMC-p9.jpg (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6nKLg8CEAMC-p9.jpg:large)

portu
01-05-2015, 03:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6nKLg8CEAMC-p9.jpg (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6nKLg8CEAMC-p9.jpg:large)
where's this from?

Yohan
01-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Osorio would be Winter era, no? And Henry precedes even him. Bekker, Dike, Caldwell, Richter, Bloom and Aparicio are the only ones I can think of from Nelsen's first year.
Winter was fired mid 2012. Osorio signed just before 2013 season started

gdg_9
01-05-2015, 03:37 PM
where's this from?

TFC just tweeted it out.

Areathrasher
01-05-2015, 03:53 PM
What makes you say that? From what I'm hearing they don't necessarily want to throw him in at the deep end. Will get time playing with Dev squad before any thought is given to featuring in first team. Allardyce has stated that this purchase is very much "one for the future". He is currently with the first team for training, and to get settled in. West Ham are looking for an extended run in the Cup, so putting an untested rookie into that game is very unlikely from the normally cautious Allardyce.

Big Sam has form for playing kids/experimental sides in the FA Cup

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25539803

Greatest Ripoff
01-05-2015, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Henry on the bench for several reasons.

Tomkins is still injured, I think.
Not sure if the club is looking to sell Reid or just let his contract run out. If they are looking to sell, they might not want to cup tie him.
Sam always plays the kids in these matches. He had a 15 year old CB on the bench for the last cup tie West Ham played.

barticusz
01-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Henry on the bench for several reasons.

Tomkins is still injured, I think.
Not sure if the club is looking to sell Reid or just let his contract run out. If they are looking to sell, they might not want to cup tie him.
Sam always plays the kids in these matches. He had a 15 year old CB on the bench for the last cup tie West Ham played.

Dont' have the article handy as it's on my FOTMOB app, but Allardyce as stated that Reid will be sold this summer. Room for Henry.

Greatest Ripoff
01-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Dont' have the article handy as it's on my FOTMOB app, but Allardyce as stated that Reid will be sold this summer. Room for Henry.

Reid is out of contract in the summer. If he is being sold, it will be now.

Red Skies At Night
01-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Big Sam has form for playing kids/experimental sides in the FA Cup

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25539803

That was more due to the lack of first team players available and a league cup semi a few days later.
And Sam recently claimed he would only sell Reid for $20 mil this window. I think his point was that he's more valuable to west ham for the remainder of the season, than a few million quid. I only see Reid being sold if they buy an adequate replacement for him this window. So unless that happens (and likely, even if it does), Henry will be playing dev squad games for the balance of the season.
The owners brief to Sam at beginning of season was for an extended cup run. Since they are out of the league cup already, FA Cup is all that's left. Sam will play a strong team for tonight's match, and I highly doubt Henry even makes the bench (would be nice to see, but I doubt it).

Thing is, if you listen to what some of the real itk's are saying (ie: hughsouthon, exwhuemployee, and a few others) Henry is for the "near" future, but not necessarily Reid's replacement.

pdogg
01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Winter was fired mid 2012. Osorio signed just before 2013 season started

Had to go back and double check that, you are correct. Still, Henry would be more of a Winter project than a Nelsen one. Winter introduced him in 2011 to semi-regular playing time (18 apps), and he's been at 20 or so since. Though to be fair, he did appear under Preki/Dasovic as well, just limited minutes.

Miss Jones
01-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Wish Doneil all the very best. It is so exciting to see him go to a team that we will be able to watch on the TV. Can't wait to see him on the field with the West Ham team.
I've met him several times and he really is a great guy.

barticusz
01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
West Ham doesn't include Henry in the lineup or subs for today's match.

Leedsoronto
01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Maybe saving him for upcoming league game ? That be nice

Red Skies At Night
01-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Maybe saving him for upcoming league game ? That be nice

The word out of the club is that they are in no rush to blood him in the first team this season. The coaching staff apparently don't think he's quite ready yet. While this transfer may be a big thing for us TC fans, in the UK he's just another prospect who might get a shot down the road. He could end up a starter or he could end up another Brian Montenegro et al (although I think BM was a loan, but same idea).

barticusz
01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
WHU u21 dev squad is playign tonight. Henry not on the list. Interestingly enough Yedlin is starting for Tottenhams U21's who they play.

jloome
01-09-2015, 05:14 PM
The word out of the club is that they are in no rush to blood him in the first team this season. The coaching staff apparently don't think he's quite ready yet. While this transfer may be a big thing for us TC fans, in the UK he's just another prospect who might get a shot down the road. He could end up a starter or he could end up another Brian Montenegro et al (although I think BM was a loan, but same idea).

Sam Alllardyce said on Sky Sports last weekend that he expects Henry to make the first team, and they know he needs some time but expect him to contribute in the short term. He's not seen as a long-term project. He's trained exclusively with the first team as well.

Richard
01-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Sam Alllardyce said on Sky Sports last weekend that he expects Henry to make the first team, and they know he needs some time but expect him to contribute in the short term. He's not seen as a long-term project. He's trained exclusively with the first team as well.

I think physically he is almost ready, but mentally he still needs a lot of adjustment to get used to how quick and accurate the game is in the EPL. Henry is at a point where he is to good for the U21 youth team but not good enough to be a senior starter in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets loaned out for a few months starting next season, I think they will keep him up with the senior squad to give him confidence and see what its like in a competitive environment where West Ham is going for a EURO Cup spot, but I doubt Sam is going to thrust him into important EPL games when big money is on the line.

Red Skies At Night
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Yes I heard that quote. That doesn't necessarily disagree with what I heard previously. They know he's not PL ready yet, but they are hoping he will be within short measure. Whether that's this season or next is the question, and I had heard they were hedging their bets for next season, rather than throw him in this season when a lot is on the line. If they tumble to comfortable mid-table by late march, (or a run of bad injuries to the defence) and don't look like Europe or relegation are in the cards, he might very well get a look.

Red Skies At Night
02-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes I heard that quote. That doesn't necessarily disagree with what I heard previously. They know he's not PL ready yet, but they are hoping he will be within short measure. Whether that's this season or next is the question, and I had heard they were hedging their bets for next season, rather than throw him in this season when a lot is on the line. If they tumble to comfortable mid-table by late march, (or a run of bad injuries to the defence) and don't look like Europe or relegation are in the cards, he might very well get a look.

Well the inevitable happened and west ham have an injury crisis in defence... and today west ham's manager had this to say "Sam Allardyce (http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/topic/sam-allardyce/) has told West Ham United's official site (http://www.whufc.com/articles/20150213/big-sam-on-west-bromwich-albion_2236884_4484538?) that Doneil Henry could be in with a chance of making his debut in the FA Cup this weekend."

I'm curious to see how a youth product developed at TFC makes the transition to Prem League footy... the team's playing another PL team in West Brom so won't be an easy game for Doneil. Hopefully if he makes the pitch he'll do his former club and supporters proud.

Detroit_TFC
02-13-2015, 09:56 AM
^ Yes, indeed. Thanks for the heads up, worth checking it out for that.

fergiejr
02-13-2015, 10:58 AM
This game is the 7:00 game on Sportsnet World on Saturday am. I'm setting my alarm...:canada:

Ageroo
02-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I will be waking up as well now.....hoping he gets in.

ManUtd4ever
02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
I'll definitely be interested to see how our first Academy product to set foot on European soil performs in his debut.

mowe
02-13-2015, 11:10 AM
First game back from injury I doubt he gets the start, or many minutes.

Greatest Ripoff
02-13-2015, 12:02 PM
I will be at the match, so it would be nice to see him play. I also saw him walking around in Bristol in the previous round of the FA cup.

tfcleeds
02-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Well, his debut will have to wait then.

reggie
02-14-2015, 10:03 AM
any idea what his salary is at WH?

Leedsoronto
02-14-2015, 12:37 PM
I bet he is glad he didn't have anything to do with that pounding :@)

jloome
02-14-2015, 12:38 PM
any idea what his salary is at WH?

A shit-ton more than here.

For a player of his age and pedigree, probably something north of ten thousand pounds a week.

He was on the bench today. Given Allardyce claiming their capitulation was down to fatigue, we might see him in their next.

burlington Red
02-14-2015, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't think we will see Henry this season, they played a centre mid at centre half the last 2 games. With Carroll missing, I think any chance of Henry playing this season might be gone, as per as his and his managers tendancy for the long ball. I think too soon might damage Henry, next season we will see him, anybody caught Cameron's last 2 games for Sunderland- diaster, confidence shot to pieces, don't want to see that happen to Henry.

Greatest Ripoff
02-15-2015, 06:16 AM
I wouldn't think we will see Henry this season, they played a centre mid at centre half the last 2 games. With Carroll missing, I think any chance of Henry playing this season might be gone, as per as his and his managers tendancy for the long ball. I think too soon might damage Henry, next season we will see him, anybody caught Cameron's last 2 games for Sunderland- diaster, confidence shot to pieces, don't want to see that happen to Henry.

Kouyate is also a defender. Spent most if last season playing as a centre half in Belgium and was brought in because he could play there.