PDA

View Full Version : Defoe did NOT say he wanted to leave

Pages : [1] 2

Oblio2
12-19-2014, 10:48 AM
"Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto and he spoke in upbeat terms about his return to the squad for pre-season training.
"We're planning on him getting back," said Bezbatchenko in the Daily Mirror. "The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/story/2205750/english-premier-league-eden-hazard-close-to-becoming-chelseas-highest-paid-player

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
"The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

That's an interesting quote

Villa TFC
12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
A friend of mine bumped into him last summer and had a great chat. They had attended the same school in England and had school friends in common, although they didn't know each other and had never met before, and Defoe seemed very comfortable and relaxed chatting with him. He was very enthusiastic about Toronto, the club and seriously impressed with the support. He was frustrated by the lack of goals and by niggling injuries, but had no other complaints. Now, of course he's not going to tell a complete stranger that he hates it and wants to leave, but my friend says he really felt he was telling the truth. There was no awkward body language, no wandering eyes etc. This was prior to the Bez coup, but based on his conversation, my friend was very surprised when all the stories came out about Defoe wanting out a short while later.

WestStandGeoff
12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
I'll reiterate what I and several others have posted about this in other threads:

Back in the summer, when there were strong rumours in the media about Defoe wanting to go back to England, and TFC receiving/refusing offers, Jermaine was silent. So sure, he never said he wanted to leave publicly, but he sure as hell didn't come out saying he wanted to stay. There were plenty of opportunities to dispel rumours, but none were taken. In cases like this, not saying anything is often as bad - and sometimes worse - than actually coming out and saying you want out.

Now Bez is stating that he never said he wanted to leave publicly either. Fine. But you can't lurk in the bushes when all that shit is flying around, then turn around now and act like everyone is unjustified in questioning his commitment.

Phil
12-19-2014, 11:34 AM
"Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto and he spoke in upbeat terms about his return to the squad for pre-season training.
"We're planning on him getting back," said Bezbatchenko in the Daily Mirror. "The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/story/2205750/english-premier-league-eden-hazard-close-to-becoming-chelseas-highest-paid-player

So his Mom wants him to leave.

Lets just say that means although he hasn't said it, the person who actually calls the shots has made the call.

QBall
12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
"Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto...

He hasn't said that he wants to be here and no where else either. MLSE is an organization that keeps tight lipped about everything, so a fact someone in that organization (either player or management) hasn't uttered a particular statement doesn't mean that the opposite of that statement is true.

TFC07
12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I sometimes wonder if MLSE/TFC FO think we're bunch of idiots to believe whatever they say these days?

Personally speaking, I have lost respect and trust with current TFC FO and they need to do a lot to gain that trust and respect back from me.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Why blame TFC in this case? Clearly they have to play the political game until this resolves, which it cannot for at least two or three weeks.

PopePouri
12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I sometimes wonder if MLSE/TFC FO think we're bunch of idiots to believe whatever they say these days?

Personally speaking, I have lost respect and trust with current TFC FO and they need to do a lot to gain that trust and respect back from me.

Yeah, no other club does this. They typically state out loud if they want to keep a player or not.

reggie
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM

i agree with you i call it the BEZ spin or dance...the LABA and HENRY crap and now the DEFOE bs,i rather him jus say no comment and move on.

Nodoubtguy
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Opening Day poster.....no JD, clearly not part of the plan

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/1655139_10152450722806805_3171940463185645069_o.jp g

reggie
12-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Opening Day poster.....no JD, clearly not part of the plan

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/1655139_10152450722806805_3171940463185645069_o.jp g
lol...i think he is hiding in the back..

Pookie
12-19-2014, 12:12 PM
It's just negotiation and ensuring you try to improve your position as much as possible. Essentially saying to would-be buyers that TFC is ok with not selling. They don't HAVE to move him.

A second goal of this stance is to ensure that they don't back themselves into a corner with Defoe. If they can't sell him... either they don't get their price or people get concerned about his salary demands or health... they will have to have him on the team. It's a lot easier to let someone back in when the door isn't closed.

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 02:57 PM
That's a cool poster actually

EDIT: Is that fan made or from the league/teams/TSN ? Its using the now old MLS logo.

Ajax TFC
12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
This is nothing but damage control. I imagine there's no interest to buy Defoe, so now they're trying to rebuild the public's opinion of him since he'll be back next season. Also, if he never wanted to leave, than why were they entertaining offers back in the summer? You don't put a ton of effort into bringing in a 31 year old striker in January with the intention of flipping him for a profit in the summer. And so why would you listen to offers to said striker whom you've built your marketing campaign around if he doesn't even want to leave?

brad
12-19-2014, 04:25 PM
It's just negotiation and ensuring you try to improve your position as much as possible. Essentially saying to would-be buyers that TFC is ok with not selling. They don't HAVE to move him.

A second goal of this stance is to ensure that they don't back themselves into a corner with Defoe. If they can't sell him... either they don't get their price or people get concerned about his salary demands or health... they will have to have him on the team. It's a lot easier to let someone back in when the door isn't closed.

^^this is all standard practice in the transfer market.

brad
12-19-2014, 04:28 PM
On Defoe not asking to leave - loyalty bonuses are a common part of contracts. Basically - if the team sells him without him asking to go, they have to pay him a chunk of cash. If he asks to go, the loyalty bonus is gone. This is why Rooney did not ask to be sold when he fell out with Fergie.

No idea if Defoe has a clause like that - but they are common so it wouldn't be a surprise.

TOBOR !
12-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Do we need another thread on this ? ...

and why is there a slash between KICK and OFF ? is it one of those 'the slash represents the upward direction the league is moving in' things ?

Red CB Toronto
12-19-2014, 06:44 PM
The General wants to be here and that is where my focus is, on those that want to fight for the badge.

ensco
12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Defoe has not said he doesn't want to leave.

Which strikes me as the more interesting parsing of his non-statements.

Wagner
12-19-2014, 08:12 PM
The General wants to be here and that is where my focus is, on those that want to fight for the badge.
We get it, you love the guy.

Joe Kool
12-20-2014, 01:21 AM
From the Toronto Star "Defoe has said he likes Toronto and never asked publicly to leave.". Key word....publicly.

jloome
12-20-2014, 01:31 PM
From the Toronto Star "Defoe has said he likes Toronto and never asked publicly to leave.". Key word....publicly.

It's not a quote, so it's probably just hyperbolic. If they had something suggesting he'd asked privately they'd be printing that shit everywhere. What with Cathal Kelly being so bored, and all.

MightyDM
12-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Do we need another thread on this ? ...

and why is there a slash between KICK and OFF ? is it one of those 'the slash represents the upward direction the league is moving in' things ?
Hilarious!

jazzy
12-20-2014, 05:32 PM
So his Mom wants him to leave.

Lets just say that means although he hasn't said it, the person who actually calls the shots has made the call.

ouch !........sad but prob true , unfortunately that means and I and his mom have something in common , who knew ?

jabbronies
12-20-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm sure the guy has a influential crew in the UK and is recognized in the streets of London as someone with big influence. That lets him roll with some big players on the London scene.

In Toronto I doubt he has that. He probably feels very isolated.
The whole Drake thing - I bet he saw that as an opportunity for whatever it is he and his community does to explode in the North American scene

Let's be real here - Being a TFC player is not high profile. It's 3rd...even 4th rate in a city that has 3 major North American sports teams.
Of course his community wants him to go back. There is more gain for them (and him) where he is recognized.

And he won't come out and say he wants to leave. It'll hurt his brand. Especially if him moving back falls through. It also leaves the door open for him to come back when he is 38 and is no longer a London draw.

ryan
12-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Like I've said in the other thread, the important thing is he never said he does want to be here. Which would put an end to all this crap.

End of year, all the players who wanted to be here, said so in the exit interviews.

It's not what he's said, but what he's not willing to say.

brad
12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
If he's here next year, and plays like he wants to be - I'll support him. If he leaves before next year, I won't lose any sleep over it.

JayMolly
12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
If he's here next year, and plays like he wants to be - I'll support him. If he leaves before next year, I won't lose any sleep over it.

^
Our thoughts on this subject too.
J&M

zeelaw
12-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Guys, he's gone. He tried to leave in August as well.

Detroit_TFC
12-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Sky Bet has JD going to Leicester 1/1, QPR 6/4 (staying at TFC is 6/1). Paddy Power has QPR 2/1, Leicester 11/4.

Canary10
12-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Leicester could easily be 8-10 points out by the end of the holidays. I just don't see that one happening. Anyone know what Austin gets paid? I can't find that anywhere.

OgtheDim
12-23-2014, 04:11 PM
As I said before, I think somebody put money down on Leicester and thus the odds.

Super
12-23-2014, 07:23 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/11311728/QPR-manager-Harry-Redknapp-eyeing-Jermain-Defoe.html

zeelaw
12-23-2014, 09:31 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/11311728/QPR-manager-Harry-Redknapp-eyeing-Jermain-Defoe.html
Haha, where are the Defoe defenders?

The only way he plays for us again is if he can't get a move back, let's all remember that before we fly any more saviour banners.

MightyDM
12-23-2014, 09:39 PM

The only way he plays for us again is if he can't get a move back, let's all remember that before we fly any more saviour banners.

go look at the goals of the year on the TFC website. He scored three and his pace/ attacking threat caused the foul that Gilberto scored off. Henry scored another, and DeRo mysteriously crops up in most with distracting runs. Be careful what you wish for with all three of them gone.

OgtheDim
12-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Not a defender of Defoe but if you look at that article, its made up conjecture.

The one actual quotation doesn't even mention Defoe.

If anybody trusts English newspaper columnists to be accurate, they should think again.

ag futbol
12-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Forget any one source, the whole picture is of a guy who doesn't want to be here. I'd leave it at that.

All the "well he never said" stuff is pointless. I'm sure Defoe reads playboy for the articles as well, using that logic and bad 80s references.

OgtheDim
12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Oh ,he's gone, if TFC gets a decent ROI. And the sooner in January, the better. But trusting English papers as sources is....

Canary10
12-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Oh ,he's gone, if TFC gets a decent ROI. And the sooner in January, the better. But trusting English papers as sources is....

Considering he's been in London for months, the "gone to London" to sort out his situation suggests not much of that article should be taken seriously.

Kaz
12-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I've tried to stay away from this kind of thing... but it is English Football reporting.... Redknapp used to Coach Defoe. Redknapp is always asked about Defoe and says he is high on him, but they are looking for Loan deals. Media hates Defoe being in Canada. Defoe is in England (being as he is English and that is where is family is) Therefore Defoe is in England to sort out his future with QPR and Redknapp is trying to get them to bring him in on a Permanent Deal.

It may be true.. but it may also be as truthful as saying a Strawberry is the name of the Suspension Bridge between Mars and Io

Shakes McQueen
12-28-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm sure he'd prefer to go back to England, but if TFC don't get a good enough offer for him, I hope they bring him back. What really boiled my blood was Redknapp changing gears and now saying that he only wants Defoe on a loan, because they can't afford to actually pay for a transfer.

If someone is willing to meet the price for a transfer, then so be it. I think it's kind of beyond obvious that Defoe's first choice is to go back home, even if he's also perfectly willing to kit up for us again, should nothing materialize.

Yohan
12-28-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm sure he'd prefer to go back to England, but if TFC don't get a good enough offer for him, I hope they bring him back. What really boiled my blood was Redknapp changing gears and now saying that he only wants Defoe on a loan, because they can't afford to actually pay for a transfer.

If someone is willing to meet the price for a transfer, then so be it. I think it's kind of beyond obvious that Defoe's first choice is to go back home, even if he's also perfectly willing to kit up for us again, should nothing materialize.
why would this make you mad? it's just a business tactic to drive down the price. I highly doubt TFC can find a buyer to recoup Defoe's transfer fee of around 6-6.5 million pounds. That's just nuts to pay for a 32 yr old striker with injury problems lately and played in MLS, plus commanding a huge wage.

It's right now a game between Redknapp and TFC to see who blinks first, that is if TFC is wants to get rid of Defoe. Of course Redknapp is going to try to buy Defoe at a cheaper price.

Shakes McQueen
12-28-2014, 07:47 PM
why would this make you mad? it's just a business tactic to drive down the price. I highly doubt TFC can find a buyer to recoup Defoe's transfer fee of around 6-6.5 million pounds. That's just nuts to pay for a 32 yr old striker with injury problems lately and played in MLS, plus commanding a huge wage.

It's right now a game between Redknapp and TFC to see who blinks first, that is if TFC is wants to get rid of Defoe. Of course Redknapp is going to try to buy Defoe at a cheaper price.

Because I have no doubt that Redknapp opening his big mouth last season is part of the reason Defoe got on this track of wanting to go back home in the first place, and now he's publicly saying he wants TFC to essentially loan (arguably) our star player to him, but not sell him, because they can't afford it.

I understand that it's tactics. It still annoyed me.

Pookie
12-28-2014, 09:43 PM
If it turns out they really did turn down a bonafide "record breaking" offer for Defoe last window and find themselves stuck with the contract despite wanting to sell... it will rival the Hassli deal as one of the all time dumbest, short sighted moves in club history. (IMO)

brad
12-29-2014, 12:21 AM
If it turns out they really did turn down a bonafide "record breaking" offer for Defoe last window and find themselves stuck with the contract despite wanting to sell... it will rival the Hassli deal as one of the all time dumbest, short sighted moves in club history. (IMO)

I think they were taking a gamble that Defoe would give us a late push into to the playoffs. Short term hype around that likely would have driven SSH sales for the expansion, and possibly even let them eliminate (at least some) of the price rollback for existing SSH.

To to be honest - it was probably a fair gamble. It just didn't play out because Defoe wasn't fit.

kwhisperer
12-29-2014, 09:45 AM
I think they were taking a gamble that Defoe would give us a late push into to the playoffs. Short term hype around that likely would have driven SSH sales for the expansion, and possibly even let them eliminate (at least some) of the price rollback for existing SSH.

To to be honest - it was probably a fair gamble. It just didn't play out because Defoe wasn't fit.

I agree that they were thinking Defoe would help them make the playoffs but it was crazy thinking - the team was faltering badly and he never sounded close enough to health to contribute. The ending was predictable.

ag futbol
12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I agree that they were thinking Defoe would help them make the playoffs but it was crazy thinking - the team was faltering badly and he never sounded close enough to health to contribute. The ending was predictable.
Yeah, I have to agree. Flawed from the outset really.

Leiweke went to great efforts to talk about all the dilligence that was done, but to me it sounded awfully flawed.

They had the foresight to wine and dine his mother, but not the common sense to see that if you have to do that sort of thing in the first place,it's probably not a good idea to make that sort of person the pillar of your foundation.

He's a world class player without a doubt, but not a good fit for what TFC needs.

Oblio2
12-29-2014, 12:36 PM
What, goals?

Pendrith
12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
With the Air Asia flight disappearance, the last thing Tony Fernandes is thinking about is signing Defoe. He has much bigger issues to deal with at this time.

ag futbol
12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
What, goals?
Which are hard for a disinterested and sometimes injured player to score. We still play even if he doesn't.

MKR
12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
What, goals?

some assists would be nice too.

Initial B
12-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Are we sure that the deal wasn't nixed by MLS due to the bad optics it would create (a la Melburg)? That's the problem with single entities having veto power over any trades.

If true, I think MLS should pay for any shortfall in transfer/salary costs when Defoe is traded.

Yohan
12-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Are we sure that the deal wasn't nixed by MLS due to the bad optics it would create (a la Melburg)? That's the problem with single entities having veto power over any trades.

If true, I think MLS should pay for any shortfall in transfer/salary costs when Defoe is traded.
considering MLS helped out TFC by paying for some of Bradley's transfer fee...

Oblio2
12-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Which are hard for a disinterested and sometimes injured player to score. We still play even if he doesn't.

Well, seeing how he was our top scorer....I think THAT part of his game was just fine

ag futbol
12-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, seeing how he was our top scorer....I think THAT part of his game was just fine
I might counter we need him on the field to influence the game even when not scoring. But this would all seem like we're arguing over a moot point considering he doesn't want to be here, no?

jloome
12-29-2014, 02:38 PM

For the first half of the season. This isn't a league where a team can make it on the back of one goal scorer and starters generally have to be able to give 25-30 games.

He's a good finisher and can create for himself but if you can't see how weak his effort was when he came back, your Spurs love is interfering with your objectivity. Obviously, a lack of service contributed, but a guy getting 76,000 pounds a week in this league can't coast, or play as if he did. Even if we take it on faith that the injury was one hundred percent legit, his effort on return was woeful.

ManUtd4ever
12-29-2014, 11:28 PM
For the first half of the season. This isn't a league where a team can make it on the back of one goal scorer and starters generally have to be able to give 25-30 games.

He's a good finisher and can create for himself but if you can't see how weak his effort was when he came back, your Spurs love is interfering with your objectivity. Obviously, a lack of service contributed, but a guy getting 76,000 pounds a week in this league can't coast, or play as if he did. Even if we take it on faith that the injury was one hundred percent legit, his effort on return was woeful.

It was either a lack of effort, a lack of fitness, or a bit of both. If he does return, I hope that he will be a professional and do so with a renewed sense of commitment.

Phil
12-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Lets be clear about one point regarding the high transfer fee we paid on him - that was totally due to the shambles this club was left in by previous regiimes. Now was it the best idea to chase after big names instead of laying low and really focusing in on stability and foundation? That will be eternally debated.

Not much can be done about the recouping the cash spent to make the moves. It was willingly flushed down the toilet when they embarked upon the road. I also wonder about the complexities of having that Julio loan last year. I would gamble QPR are using that as some kind of leverage point in the talks.

portu
12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
We didn't overpay for Defoe at all. We paid something like $10m and reportedly received offers over the summer of over $11m. Transfer fee is only a problem now due to the fact that we are in January and teams don't like risky buys in Jan as can be seen with QPR stating that they're aren't interested in spending money at all as opposed to wanting to spend $11m+ on Defoe in August

Yohan
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30631066

Mauro Zarate supposedly going to QPR on loan

cmonyoureds
12-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Does anyone doubt that if TFC can sell Defoe, in order to facilitate another big signing, and therefore a new marketing campaign, they will?

Pookie
12-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Does anyone doubt that if TFC can sell Defoe, in order to facilitate another big signing, and therefore a new marketing campaign, they will?

I kind of get the sense that their marketing budget might be like the Argos this year. Scaled back. Where it exists I think it might be focused on the newness of the stadium to try to get bumps in attendance. "Come out and Experience the new…" sort of campaign.

They spent a lot last year on a player campaign early on with limited return on TV and in terms of actual fans at the game over the course of the season. I'd wager that the budget setters are a little more cautious this time around.

OgtheDim
12-31-2014, 01:57 PM
A few too many large ads in newspapers to indicate MLSE is cutting back huge on the budget just yet.

OgtheDim
01-01-2015, 10:40 AM
FWIW

Bez on Defoe move.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/31/qpr-may-not-have-money-for-defoe

Areathrasher
01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Hull have thrown their hat into the ring for Defoe

Richard Sutcliffe @RSootyYPSport (https://twitter.com/RSootyYPSport) · 40m40 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RSootyYPSport/status/550713695542972416)

Bruce on Defoe: "Whether we can do it financially is a problem. But if he's available, which I believe he is, then we’d love to do something

Kaz
01-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Hull have thrown their hat into the ring for Defoe

Richard Sutcliffe @RSootyYPSport (https://twitter.com/RSootyYPSport) · 40m40 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RSootyYPSport/status/550713695542972416)

Bruce on Defoe: "Whether we can do it financially is a problem. But if he's available, which I believe he is, then we’d love to do something

So another situation where a reporter asked someone directly who hasn't talked to anyone and have made no pushes at all, and isn't even 100% sure if he is available to trade. But UK reports love milking that teet.

zeelaw
01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/02/jermain-defoe-leicester-return-premier-league

Telegraph reporting as well...

Love to hear his supporters now, sorry but I can't believe people tried to defend him.

OgtheDim
01-02-2015, 06:32 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/02/jermain-defoe-leicester-return-premier-league

Telegraph reporting as well...

Hmm.....source is likely his agent.

Good. Sooner the better.

Areathrasher
01-02-2015, 06:45 PM
The Telegraph are reporting that he has been offered to Liverpool on loan
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11322687/Jermain-Defoe-offered-to-Liverpool-in-January-transfer-window.html

Leedsoronto
01-03-2015, 03:13 PM
"It's a Bloody long flight home" for Defoe, bye bye !!

http://app.caughtoffside.com/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Furl%3Fsa %3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Djermain%2520defoe%2520and%252 0leicester%2520city%26source%3Dnewssearch%26cd%3D1 %26ved%3D0CAwQ-AsoATAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.caughtoffsi de.com%252F2015%252F01%252F03%252Fleicester-city-set-to-sign-jermain-defoe%252F%26ei%3D7T6oVMLoEsTPaICggbgJ%26usg%3DAFQ jCNF4K9v1KOtsFmuYmK5IV9YnJ--2EQ#article/caughtoffside-661304

Kaz
01-03-2015, 04:12 PM
So once again a bunch of rumours that people may have offers?

They may be true.. they may be speculation by media that hates he is in Canada.

ensco
01-06-2015, 08:25 AM
QPR are graciously offering to take Defoe on loan, if TFC will eat half his salary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2898702/QPR-increase-30-000-week-wage-limit-sign-Jermain-Defoe-loan-Hoops-battle-Financial-Fair-Play-regulations.html

Best part: one of the commenters calls TFC "Yetihad City"....... bwahaha

brad
01-06-2015, 08:53 AM
QPR are graciously offering to take Defoe on loan, if TFC will eat half his salary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2898702/QPR-increase-30-000-week-wage-limit-sign-Jermain-Defoe-loan-Hoops-battle-Financial-Fair-Play-regulations.html

Best part: one of the commenters calls TFC "Yetihad City"....... bwahaha

Don't place any stock in the daily mail. It's fiction.

ensco
01-06-2015, 11:11 AM
My read of that is they'll pay 45K on loan.

I will be calling the Leiweke interregnum the Yetihad City era forevermore.

RealG-TFC
01-06-2015, 11:20 AM
My read of that is they'll pay 45K on loan.

I will be calling the Leiweke interregnum the Yetihad City era forevermore.

i think he was referring to Man City as Yetihad....

Super
01-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Still got Defoe for another 3 years. Why would we want to take a hit on him? He wants out. I say keep him unless the right offer comes along. IF we take a hit on him or keep part of his salary on the books then I think Bez should go as well.

Areathrasher
01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Looks like Swansea are going to have a spot open and 25mil burning a hole in their pocket...

OfficeGuy
01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
MLSE should keep him on and send him to the community refurbishments and kids camps so he can remember why he started playing-to rejoice in the glory of the beautiful game...somewhere along the way Peter Pan grew up and it all got lost in the shuffle...kinda feel for him ... feelings gone now ... Season 9 awaits

Canary10
01-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Looks like Swansea are going to have a spot open and 25mil burning a hole in their pocket...

Swansea always have a Bony, Michu, etc lined up to make money off of. Defoe isn't the kind of player they'll buy. It'll be some no name guy that ends up kicking ass.

MightyDM
01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
All part of the negotiation. "we only want a loan" is the reverse of the "he's not for sale" that usually seems to precede the sale of a player....

gdg_9
01-06-2015, 01:26 PM
@IAmJermainDefoe Just touched down in the UK from south of France, was training with my fitness guy feeling stronger than ever! #Ready (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ready?src=hash)
6:25 AM - 6 Jan 2015 (https://twitter.com/IAmJermainDefoe/status/552425830375489537)

#ReadyToPlayWhere?

Fort York Redcoat
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
What does @IAmJermainDefoesMom say, though?

sully
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/jermain-defoe-banks-fitness-boot-4924830

Canary10
01-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Zarate completed his loan move to QPR. Assume that rules them out of the Defoe sweepstakes, such that they are.

ensco
01-06-2015, 07:02 PM
i think he was referring to Man City as Yetihad....

I have definitely heard the Man City stadium called that on a cold night.

But I am adopting "Yetihad City" for us. I love the double entendre.

pdubs
01-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Still got Defoe for another 3 years. Why would we want to take a hit on him? He wants out. I say keep him unless the right offer comes along. IF we take a hit on him or keep part of his salary on the books then I think Bez should go as well.

I am more in line with this type of thinking. If the deal doesn't make sense for us to do then don't do it. Loaning Defoe out is not a solution. Either we transfer him out reasonably or we use him. He is under contract and made the commitment. Granted it appears he is not happy here but if the move isn't right I don't think we make the move just to appease Defoe or his mother or whatever.

A healthy Defoe is still valuable to us and I don't think Defoe would want to practice with the reserves and not keep match fit if he creates a problem. Are we worried he will refuse to play or be a cancer? I think we have enough personalities (Bradley, Caldwell,ect) that wouldn't stand for it and don't think Defoe will get much sympathy on refusing to preform while getting paid 6 million a year. Just don't see it.

ag futbol
01-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Never under estimate the ability of professional athletes (and their mothers) to feel entitled.

This is toronto after all. Next thing, we'll be reading about how TFC took away her parking spot at the practice facility out of spite

ensco
01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I am more in line with this type of thinking. If the deal doesn't make sense for us to do then don't do it. Loaning Defoe out is not a solution. Either we transfer him out reasonably or we use him. He is under contract and made the commitment. Granted it appears he is not happy here but if the move isn't right I don't think we make the move just to appease Defoe or his mother or whatever.

A healthy Defoe is still valuable to us and I don't think Defoe would want to practice with the reserves and not keep match fit if he creates a problem. Are we worried he will refuse to play or be a cancer? I think we have enough personalities (Bradley, Caldwell,ect) that wouldn't stand for it and don't think Defoe will get much sympathy on refusing to preform while getting paid 6 million a year. Just don't see it.

It doesn't work. Guys like this aren't effective and are a cancer in the room.

If TFC overplay their hand, they could wind up with Cesar. Julio Cesar came here for 5% of what he was making, after QPR spent a year trying to move him for something close to what they had paid for him. Cesar was sent home for most of the year, which he spent kicking the ball with his child in London parks.

We will loan Defoe for whatever we can recoup, if we can't sell him.

Richard
01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't think we want a Tevez situation here like Man City had a few years ago. Although it could give us an avenue to void his contract if he doesn't want to play. I really don't understand him though, never let your family run your life when it comes to professional sports.

TFC07
01-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I don't think we want a Tevez situation here like Man City had a few years ago. Although it could give us an avenue to void his contract if he doesn't want to play. I really don't understand him though, never let your family run your life when it comes to professional sports.

Yup. But it's hard to deal with mamma boys like Defoe, TFC should have known that before signing him.

brad
01-06-2015, 08:26 PM

Well - Tevez is a special snowflake. I don't think Defoe would go to those lengths - but I'd expect low effort , lots of little "niggling injuries" and as mentioned above - locker room cancer.

Ensco is 100% correct on that. You don't keep a player like that around. That is pretty much common knowledge - I've heard it said by many, many quality manager (including Sir Alex).

brad
01-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Question - if he is loaned out - does that free up his DP slot and the portion of his wages on the cap?

MartinUtd
01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Defoe is on massive MLS money but not massive MLSE money. To put it another way he would be the 3rd highest paid Maple Leaf and the 6th highest paid Raptor this season. If they're worried about nickel and diming a transfer free then they should just sell TFC and cash in their $100+ million.

OgtheDim
01-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Question - if he is loaned out - does that free up his DP slot and the portion of his wages on the cap?

As we learned from Laba.....maybe yes maybe no depending upon who is making up the rules at MLS that week.

Greatest Ripoff
01-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Leicester just spent £10 million on a 23 year old striker. Don't think they will be in the market for a Defoe anymore.

zeelaw
01-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Leicester just spent £10 million on a 23 year old striker. Don't think they will be in the market for a Defoe anymore.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4315991.ece

Yep, shit, all of Defoe suitors are falling off :(

gdg_9
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM

I read a report somewhere last night saying they were still interested in Defoe in ADDITION to Kramaric.
Don't know how legit that is... I guess we'll find out.

Areathrasher
01-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Yea, a journo from a leicester paper is saying they are still in on him.
And some folk in Leicester have said Defoe has been spotted in town. Not sure if that's true or twitter bs.

Leicester have very rich Thai owners BTW.

zeelaw
01-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Just another update for people thinking Defoe wants to stay.... He's not in this promo picture for our opener vs VC.

http://bit.ly/13l9OtJ

MartinUtd
01-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Shinji Okazaki looks set to sign for Leicester, so would that be their second striker?

pdubs
01-07-2015, 11:29 AM
It doesn't work. Guys like this aren't effective and are a cancer in the room.

If TFC overplay their hand, they could wind up with Cesar. Julio Cesar came here for 5% of what he was making, after QPR spent a year trying to move him for something close to what they had paid for him. Cesar was sent home for most of the year, which he spent kicking the ball with his child in London parks.

We will loan Defoe for whatever we can recoup, if we can't sell him.

If we loan him can we get a DP to replace him? If not then loaning him does not make sense to me. Loan just means we have to deal with this saga again. If we loan him, he gets injured then we are in an even tighter mess. Remember 3 years are left on the contract. If we can however get another DP for his spot then that would make sense. But loaning him and not being able to replace him would be terrible.

Also we have all the information of the behind the scenes stuff. I would like to hope if privately Defoe told the team he wants to go then I hope TFC would also communicate to him they will try but not get screwed with a low ball transfer offer. If the transfer does not make sense for the team in this window why not explain to Defoe that if you play and do well your value will rise and another opportunity may present itself in the summer. And if that doesn't work for him and he is that unreasonable then idk let him rot away from the team.

This is of course assuming that the league would let us loan a DP and that they wouldn't let us replace him with another DP to fill the slot. If this isn't a problem then a loan could work.

pdubs
01-07-2015, 11:33 AM
The other issue in all this... if we wait till the end of the window to get this sorted whether that be a loan/transfer... we really wont have the ability to booster the roster with a direct DP replacement. Now with the CBA around the corner this could we smart... not a lot of big money on the books. But summer window is a long way away and we would be essentially handicapping ourselves for all those games.

Areathrasher
01-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Well, we did have 4 dps for a few weeks last year...

pdubs
01-07-2015, 11:47 AM

True but Laba was a DP because of his transfer amount not wage. Therefore a lot easier for a team to take the wage within the league. Defoe wants out of the league which makes it a lot more difficult.

But hey it is MLS. Rules come and go. Some magically appear on MLS new articles. Like montreal impact signing Santiago Gonzalez based on the special discovery rule no one heard of until that article lol.

ensco
01-07-2015, 12:02 PM
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4315991.ece

Yep, shit, all of Defoe suitors are falling off :(

It's Bez' job to understand reality, and to help his MLSE bosses understand reality.

He can go out to "sell" Defoe all he wants, but if the price is far above market, the buyers don't sit around and wait for you to recognize reality.

Canary10
01-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Yea, a journo from a leicester paper is saying they are still in on him.
And some folk in Leicester have said Defoe has been spotted in town. Not sure if that's true or twitter bs.

Leicester have very rich Thai owners BTW.

Does every city have their own guy with rollerblades?

sidvan
01-07-2015, 12:16 PM

They got our rollerblades on loan. Wouldn't pay the weekly cost in full.

Areathrasher
01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Everybody knows a cab/limo driver :lol:

Super
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
If no one picks up Defoe, how hard would it be to convince him to come back to us till the summer transfer window where he could try again to sell himself? I really want to avoid dropping him at a reduced cost where we're partly on the hook for his salary the next 3 years. That would be an awful move.

DinamoTFC
01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
You dont convince him. Hes obligated by contract.

MightyDM
01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I see this all differently. Won't debate it all over again, but TFC aren't blameless here - the people who brought Defoe here are gone, particularly Nelsen, then they trashed him publicly in a TL interview. And they mishandled the summer transfer request. I think all the bashing is a deliberate move to persuade us he shouldn't be here - they are doing the same thing with Kessel. And to those who argue that keeping him would be a mistake, I think you are wrong - Defoe's currency is goals. He cannot afford to let that drop so if he is here he has to score and he'll know that. Cancer possibly, but he'll score in buckets, and do everything he can to stay fit. If he doesn't, he will never be able to leave.

barticusz
01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I see this all differently. Won't debate it all over again, but TFC aren't blameless here - the people who brought Defoe here are gone, particularly Nelsen, then they trashed him publicly in a TL interview. And they mishandled the summer transfer request. I think all the bashing is a deliberate move to persuade us he shouldn't be here - they are doing the same thing with Kessel. And to those who argue that keeping him would be a mistake, I think you are wrong - Defoe's currency is goals. He cannot afford to let that drop so if he is here he had to score and he'll know that. Cancer possibly, but he'll score in buckets, and do everything he can to stay fit. If he doesn't, he will never be able to leave.

He's already 32. His options are decreasing exponentially. He just has to show up on the field to get paid. I can't see an unhappy player being productive, regardless of who they are.

brad
01-07-2015, 01:15 PM

That was before the roster compliance deadline though - and we had to move one before the deadline. Not sure what would have happened if hadn't been able to. The league makes this stuff up as they go along though.

gdg_9
01-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Here's a thought...

If Defoe wants out of his contract that badly, could TFC let him "Buy" his way out himself?
Charge him a $10M Buyout fee (to recoup the transfer fee TFC paid) to terminate the contract, and then he'd be a free-agent to negotiate and sign with whoever he wants.

I know this happens in hockey with players who are under contract in Europe (especially the KHL) who want to come to the NHL.
It happened with Petri Kontiola when he wanted to come to the Leafs this summer. He had to pay $600k out of his own pocket to buy out his KHL contract before he could sign with the Leafs.

(This move did not work out very well for him tho! He's already been released by the Leafs and is back in the KHL)

brad
01-07-2015, 01:24 PM
If no one picks up Defoe, how hard would it be to convince him to come back to us till the summer transfer window where he could try again to sell himself? I really want to avoid dropping him at a reduced cost where we're partly on the hook for his salary the next 3 years. That would be an awful move.

If no one picks him up, he has to come back. If not, he is in violation of his contract and can get in a whole lot of trouble as a result (not just with us but with FIFA). He also wouldn't get paid. It's unlikely he'd do that. It would be more likely that he would come back and not perform as needed. Low effort, dogging it in training, missing out due to "niggling injuries" - that sort of thing.

Now that said if we can't sell him, it would be in his best interest to come back - score a bunch of goals to keep his stock up in hopes of a move in the summer. And it would be in our best interests to let him know that if he does play like he wants to be here, we will do what we can to move him in the summer. This is what I actually think will happen if we can't move him in January (I think he'll be gone this month though)

Also, you have to remember that it's not just him that needs to be convinced - it's also all the people around him (like his mom) tat need to be as well.

You dont convince him. Hes obligated by contract.

I get where you are coming from, but technically his contract obliges him to play for Toronto FC. It does not oblige him to play like he gives a damn. And unfortunately - the players have the power here, and often exert it.

brad
01-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Here's a thought...

If Defoe wants out of his contract that badly, could TFC let him "Buy" his way out himself?
Charge him a $10M Buyout fee (to recoup the transfer fee TFC paid) to terminate the contract, and then he'd be a free-agent to negotiate and sign with whoever he wants.

I know this happens in hockey with players who are under contract in Europe (especially the KHL) who want to come to the NHL.
It happened with Petri Kontiola when he wanted to come to the Leafs this summer. He had to pay $600k out of his own pocket to buy out his KHL contract before he could sign with the Leafs.

(This move did not work out very well for him tho! He's already been released by the Leafs and is back in the KHL)

I'm sure they could do that, but he won't want to eat 10 million to get out. I bet if he was willing to play for 25K/week somewhere he'd already be gone.

barticusz
01-07-2015, 03:45 PM
No one wants him.

Steve Bruce has recently played down Hull City’s chances of signing the Toronto FC striker, citing the player’s wages as the main sticking point for any deal.
And the Daily Telegraph has also suggested his salary has priced Queens Park Rangers out of a move, with Harry Redknapp more than happy to pursue the loan signing of Mauro Zarate from West Ham instead.

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk/story-25811613-detail/story.html#ixzz3OAcx2qyy
Follow us: @hulldailymail on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=czbL_8h6ar4411acwqm_6r&u=hulldailymail) | HullDailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=czbL_8h6ar4411acwqm_6r&u=HullDailyMail)

TFC_Allez
01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
All this Defoe potentially leaving makes this all the more interesting. Taylor Twellman said on Twitter about an hour agoe: "Multiple sources tell me Jozy Altidore and @MLS are in discussions about his return this winter with 3 teams applying. #TFC #RBNY #POR".

portu
01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
people on twitter saying there seeing defoe in leicester

portu
01-07-2015, 08:25 PM
http://instagram.com/p/xezwD9g8zV/

check comments
defoes there for a transfer

OgtheDim
01-07-2015, 09:31 PM
The only thing that is worth taking from that conversation is Defoe has no clue where he will be playing.

The "transfer" is just as likely a transfer to another plane. (Although I wish it was wrong and he was signing papers and doing a physical tomorrow).

Leedsoronto
01-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Lol, lots of passengers transfer through Heathrow

Pookie
01-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Lol, lots of passengers transfer through Heathrow

And it takes about 90 mins too. You'd think they could find a way to keep transferring passengers in the secure area without needing to be re-screened. Or at least serve beer in the line or something.

Yohan
01-08-2015, 05:50 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/training%20stint

Defoe on a 'training' stint with Tottenham. More like a trial to show he's fully fit

Oblio2
01-08-2015, 08:55 AM
He's training with the youth team
This is nothing new. Henry trained with Arsenal...Robbie Keane came back and trained at Spurs

"Tottenham have confirmed that Jermain Defoe will train with their development squad during the Major League Soccer close season so that the former Spurs striker can maintain his fitness.
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/387429.html#MpBR8P7idLQZTLQo.99"

Red Skies At Night
01-08-2015, 12:06 PM
The "transfer" is just as likely a transfer to another plane. (Although I wish it was wrong and he was signing papers and doing a physical tomorrow).

Well you don't need to transfer at Heathrow to get to spurs training facility lol... so if he said that I expect he'll be having that physical and signing papers sooner rather than later... EXCEPT that I read in HITC that he is looking for a 2.5 yr deal at 80k/week... good luck with that... if that's true he's in for a shock because he won't get that over there (if QPR's Tony Fernandes won't pay it, unlikely anyone else would)...

I can envision a scenario where defoe comes back here with a point to prove to epl clubs so he can get his $$$ come the beginning of new epl season. Still don't think it'll happen for him unless he takes a drastic wage cut.

barticusz
01-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Leiweke has spent recent weeks addressing issues with TFC. Star player Jermaine Defoe won't return to the team next season and Leiweke has been trying to get MLSE the best return for him, and plotting a plan to replace him.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-weighed-asking-outgoing-ceo-leiweke-to-stay-source-1.177981

Canary10
01-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Leiweke has spent recent weeks addressing issues with TFC. Star player Jermaine Defoe won't return to the team next season and Leiweke has been trying to get MLSE the best return for him, and plotting a plan to replace him.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-weighed-asking-outgoing-ceo-leiweke-to-stay-source-1.177981

The bigger news of that story is Bogers is trying to get Lieweke to stay now.

barticusz
01-08-2015, 03:55 PM
The bigger news of that story is Bogers is trying to get Lieweke to stay now.

And surprise surprise it's due to Tanenbaum.. .again.

Canary10
01-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Also love this paragraph (bolded in particular):

"The board has spent months interviewing possible replacements for Leiweke and has been collectively surprised that some qualified candidates haven't been interested in even interviewing for the job."

jloome
01-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Also love this paragraph (bolded in particular):

"The board has spent months interviewing possible replacements for Leiweke and has been collectively surprised that some qualified candidates haven't been interested in even interviewing for the job."

Exactly how disconnected from reality is the board?

Never mind. I worked in a union executive for a few months over the summer as an editor (before my constant bitching about how corrupt they were got me fired, somewhat thankfully) and if that was any example of how board members behave, I'd be surprised if any of them are paying much attention.

OgtheDim
01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Tanenbaum was surprised he couldn't play Bell off of Rogers and vice versa to get what he wanted. TL didn't buy into his CFL musings either. LT is looking for a way to control things through the CEO.

I get the feeling the issue people have with going for this position isn't Bell vs. Rogers but Bell + Rogers vs. Tannenbaum and his minions.

Initial B
01-08-2015, 07:26 PM
The level of dysfunction at MLSE must be really bad if nobody qualified wants to work for them. If Bogers divorce, what are the odds they'll splinter the components of MLSE between them?

Pookie
01-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Interesting tidbit from CBC this morning.

TFC has set a return date for Jermain to be back in Toronto (ie. deadline to close a deal) of January 17.

Article also says that Bez is playing hardball and offers this juicy little quote:

"Jermain, when he wants to play, we think he's a top-three player in the league," Bezbatchenko said.

Key words "when he wants to play".

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/soccer/jermain-defoe-expected-back-at-toronto-fc-on-jan-17-1.2894110

ensco
01-09-2015, 07:34 AM
^Bez is delusional. Who is he kidding with this?

In England, Defoe is a once great but injury prone 32 year old, coming off injuries, who hasn't had a regular job in an elite league in two years, and hasn't played in elite competition in a year. That is the definition of a rental.

Forget the transfer. Defoe is on GBP 60K a week, and comparable strikers make a lot less.

Watch what happens to Lambert, he is apparently moving now also, he is on 45K, has one less year on his deal, and is very comparable (don't forget, he went to Brazil and Defoe didn't)

Fort York Redcoat
01-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Article also says that Bez is playing hardball and offers this juicy little quote:

http://cdn1.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/1113/beefcake.jpg

For ensco.

Greatest Ripoff
01-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Defoe is on GBP 60K a week, and comparable strikers make a lot less.

I don't know if £60k a week is out of step with the current salaries in England. Rickie Lambert earns £40k a week and Andy Carrol earns £100k a week. There is an over inflated market in English for domestic players especially those that are / were England internationals and people with a proven goal scoring record in the premiership. As I said before, the thing that will hold clubs back is the length of the contract.

ensco
01-09-2015, 07:59 AM
^hahaha

Sigh. We do we alone have to live in lala land?

This isn't Robin van Persie or someone that others will make their best offer for at the deadline regardless of needs. Other teams have already made their moves. We are already the only person left at the dance, ex maybe QPR. Who I am sure will up their loan offer a bit.

ensco
01-09-2015, 08:00 AM
I don't know if £60k a week is out of step with the current salaries in England. Rickie Lambert earns £40k a week and Andy Carrol earns £100k a week. There is an over inflated market in English for domestic players especially those that are / were England internationals and people with a proven goal scoring record in the premiership. As I said before, the thing that will hold clubs back is the length of the contract.

It's not at all out of step with what they make.

It's totally out of step with what they are worth on the market as a new signing.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Bruce went on the record again about still being interested in him but not being able to afford and then there is this...

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bookmakers-suspend-betting-on-jermain-defoe-joining-crystal-palace-in-january-9965371.html

Ladbrokes have suspended betting on Jermain Defoe teaming up with former manager Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace in the January window.

Canary10
01-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Rahim Sterling is on 30 right now. Charlie Austin is on 28. For, what, the second highest scorer in the EPL right now. And he's renegotiating up to 50. Still substantially below what Defoe is making. Defoe's contract is high.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Austin is on 30k

Canary10
01-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Austin is on 30k

Thanks, edited it. I've been trying to find that number for a while.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
We all know Defoe really want's to go back to England. Surely he has to know he has to take a pay cut?

Canary10
01-09-2015, 09:46 AM
We all know Defoe really want's to go back to England. Surely he has to know he has to take a pay cut?

Seriously. The transfer fee really isn't out of whack. It's clearly the salary.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Agreed.

4m pounds, which if I was Bez is what I'd be aiming for, is right in line with what relegation threatened teams have spent on late 20's-early 30's strikers over the last few years.

ensco
01-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Anybody waiting for Defoe to take a pay cut needs to ask QPR how that went with Cesar. These theatrics are unnecessarily paralyzing our club - we will do nothing until this is resolved, and good options will get away from us while we pine for Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny to show up. They have had months to figure out what to do.

There are lots of markets, and this feels like one of them, where the bids go down the closer you get to the end.

What's the difference between transfer and salary from a new teams POV? It's total dollars committed, over a period of time.

Taking over Defoe's contract commits a new team to $18M. Whereas taking over Lambert's commits you to only $9M. Say you threw a million in to make Liverpool feel better. Seriously, which would you want to do? Commit $10M for Lambert or $18M for Defoe?

There is no transfer fee here. Bez and Leiweke need to cut the crap, take the pain, eat some (a lot?) of the salary, and get on with this, before more teams solve their problems elsewhere.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 10:18 AM
QPR were able to get rid other players who were vastly overpaid. Thing with Cesar is that nobody was committing that type of money for a goalkeeper. The market for goalies and strikers is vastly different. Apples to oranges.

ensco
01-09-2015, 10:22 AM
QPR were able to get rid other players who were vastly overpaid. Thing with Cesar is that nobody was committing that type of money for a goalkeeper. The market for goalies and strikers is vastly different. Apples to oranges.

Who besides Samba? (that truly was bizarre, but if Bez is benchmarking against that, it's a bit like seeing your neighbour win the lottery, and then starting to buy tickets at the same shop he did)

jabbronies
01-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Question for the group -
After seeing how well Defoe performed in MLS in half a season - who here thinks that if he were to get a starting role on an EPL, he would be successful enough to justify $18mil.
Not saying he would tear the league up, but could get 8-10 goals in the final half of the EPL season. The teams who are linked to him are relegation teams just looking for a quick fix to stay up. Those goals at $18mil - is it worth it for a chance to stay up?

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Esteban Granero. Bought for 7m and on 70k a week. Sold to Sociedad for an undisclosed fee rumored to be in the region of 4m pounds.

Canary10
01-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Question for the group -
After seeing how well Defoe performed in MLS in half a season - who here thinks that if he were to get a starting role on an EPL, he would be successful enough to justify $18mil.
Not saying he would tear the league up, but could get 8-10 goals in the final half of the EPL season. The teams who are linked to him are relegation teams just looking for a quick fix to stay up. Those goals at $18mil - is it worth it?

First of all, I'm not sure he scores 8-10 right now not being in game shape. We saw how rusty he looked last year when he tried to make that comeback. I think that is part of the calculus teams are making. If he has a bedding in period at all the costs really start to look onerous.

But assuming he does, personally I think Leicester and Burnley are going to drop regardless. They would both be nuts to spend that money. Leicester is already stupid to spend what they have on Kramaric, although he's at least young enough and has a market already for him when they need to sell him at the end of the season. I would more see teams like Sunderland or West Brom being targets. They always seem to be on the cusp, but tend to hold on. For teams like that that have, historically, a little more certainty about staying up he might be worth that money.

ensco
01-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Esteban Granero. Bought for 7m and on 70k a week. Sold to Sociedad for an undisclosed fee rumored to be in the region of 4m pounds.

I sorta kinda see that, but sorta kinda don't. That is too much salary for him but he's 26 ish, still has some potential, and doesn't have an injury history. I don't think he is very comparable.

Phil
01-09-2015, 10:46 AM
^^^ I don't think he 'wanted to play' on his comeback after injury.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 10:49 AM
I sorta kinda see that, but sorta kinda don't. That is too much salary for him but he's 26 ish, still has some potential, and doesn't have an injury history. I don't think he is very comparable.

Sociedad paid the money for him after he injured cruciate ligaments while on loan with them and was out for 6 months.

RealG-TFC
01-09-2015, 10:50 AM
^^^ I don't think he 'wanted to play' on his comeback after injury.

I got that sense when he spoiled a clear scoring opportunity given to him in one of the games on his return. Not saying he missed on purpose, but it looked as if he just didn't care that he did.

Canary10
01-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I got that sense when he spoiled a clear scoring opportunity given to him in one of the games on his return. Not saying he missed on purpose, but it looked as if he just didn't care that he did.

I thought he looked shocked. People playing on that level don't like to miss, period.

ensco
01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Sociedad paid the money for him after he injured cruciate ligaments while on loan with them and was out for 6 months.

Thought it was before. OK that makes him more comparable. Still he's younger.

Well, I guess we'll see if Anzhi or Real Sociedad get involved for Defoe!

MightyDM
01-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and we'll get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"

ensco
01-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and well get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"

How does that work? Who is going to see him train? How does training really tell you if a guy is match fit?

Are we pursuing strategies to protect exec egos, or to do what is best for the club?

The risk is what it is. We'll see what happens now. I will be pleased to be wrong, if in fact I am.

Pookie
01-09-2015, 02:40 PM
On the plus side, at least he had "permission" to train with a club during the offseason and TFC told us about it before there was a picture of him training.

That's progress isn't it?

MightyDM
01-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Ensco, I think if he can't train free of injury with Spurs development players people will know. If I were Steve Bruce, I'd say : can I have someone take a look. Lots of favours owed various ways there - a real old boys network. The question it will answer is"has he fully recovered so he can train freely." If he has, they know his abilities better than you and me.

Pookie
01-09-2015, 05:19 PM
I wonder if the transfer fee is somehow worked into a Friendly tour with a higher share of the proceeds coming TFC's way. I'm not sure Hull or QPR would sell out the BMO MegaSportPlex but that would be an interesting way to solve the fee issue.

That would only leave what Defoe thinks a fair wage would be.

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 06:28 PM
The asking price has been cut to £3m according to the Daily Mirror.

Beach_Red
01-09-2015, 06:39 PM
On the plus side, at least he had "permission" to train with a club during the offseason and TFC told us about it before there was a picture of him training.

That's progress isn't it?

Every little bit helps...

portu
01-09-2015, 06:56 PM
The asking price has been cut to £3m according to the Daily Mirror.
link? That's insanely low... Defoe worth atleast £4m

Areathrasher
01-09-2015, 08:04 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/toronto-slash-jermain-defoe-asking-4951241

jloome
01-09-2015, 09:23 PM
How does that work? Who is going to see him train? How does training really tell you if a guy is match fit?

Are we pursuing strategies to protect exec egos, or to do what is best for the club?

The risk is what it is. We'll see what happens now. I will be pleased to be wrong, if in fact I am.

I'd bet dollars to donuts he's gonzo.

Guy is a world-class finisher, even at 32, and those are rare. Someone will pony up enough. I suspect it'll be Hull for ahout 3.5million pounds, with Toronto eating part of his salary to get him down to about 45K-60K a week (he's on 76K per week right now with all compensation included).

MightyDM
01-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Guy is a world-class finisher, even at 32, and those are rare. Someone will pony up enough. I suspect it'll be Hull for ahout 3.5million pounds, with Toronto eating part of his salary to get him down to about 45K-60K a week (he's on 76K per week right now with all compensation included).

sounds about right, although is think Defoe will have to eat something on the contract. £4.5 million is break even if you amortize the transfer fee over the life of the contract, so something close to that will be agreed on. I'll miss seeing him play, that's for sure

ensco
01-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Well, that is the same math as TFC assigning the contract and getting no transfer fee. Which would still be more than I expect.

When strikers lose that tiny extra bit of speed, it's over. For every Lampard or Super Pippo, there are a hundred elite forwards that are finished at 33.

Joe Kool
01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't want to see TFC take a loss on this at all. I know there is a whole bunch of crap surrounding this but the basic way I see it he signed a contract and if he wants out he needs to pay a penalty for leaving the contract early. Why should TFC take any loss to let him out of his contract. Make him show up for training camp or take him to court for breach of contract. I have a mortgage for 5 years....I can't just up and leave and go to another bank without consequences. I signed the bloody paper and I am responsible even if my mommy worked out a deal with another bank and doesn't like the one I am with. Whatever....the sooner this is over the better.

Blixa
01-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Seems like contracts don't mean much in this era. If a player wants out it's over.

brad
01-09-2015, 11:47 PM
^hahaha

Sigh. We do we alone have to live in lala land?

This isn't Robin van Persie or someone that others will make their best offer for at the deadline regardless of needs. Other teams have already made their moves. We are already the only person left at the dance, ex maybe QPR. Who I am sure will up their loan offer a bit.

I have to disagree. Defoe is exactly the type of player that mid to lower table teams will take a punt on. Especially the lower table ones that are flirting with relegation. Regardless of his injury status and age - he's a proven Premier League goal scorer and teams will take a the risk on that. It's a desperation move - but it happens.

It's his salary and length of contract that will be the issue. If he doesn't lower his demands, he will be back - unless MLSE continues to foot some of his salary to get him out of here (which is distinctly possible).

brad
01-09-2015, 11:49 PM

And contract length. At 32 he's looking at a year to year rolling contract, or a 2 year at best.

brad
01-09-2015, 11:53 PM

Some players will sit on the bench to take top dollar. Others will take a pay cut to play regular football. Totally depends on the player.

brad
01-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and we'll get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"

It's most likely because he is an ex-player that left on good terms and they are letting him train with them to help him get his fitness up. Happens all that time.

brad
01-10-2015, 12:01 AM
Well, that is the same math as TFC assigning the contract and getting no transfer fee. Which would still be more than I expect.

When strikers lose that tiny extra bit of speed, it's over. For every Lampard or Super Pippo, there are a hundred elite forwards that are finished at 33.

Better for TFC to eat larger part of his salary in exchange for a larger transfer fee as we get a percentage of the transfer fee back in Garber bucks. I'm sure Bez is not oblivious to that fact.

brad
01-10-2015, 12:06 AM
I don't want to see TFC take a loss on this at all. I know there is a whole bunch of crap surrounding this but the basic way I see it he signed a contract and if he wants out he needs to pay a penalty for leaving the contract early. Why should TFC take any loss to let him out of his contract. Make him show up for training camp or take him to court for breach of contract. I have a mortgage for 5 years....I can't just up and leave and go to another bank without consequences. I signed the bloody paper and I am responsible even if my mommy worked out a deal with another bank and doesn't like the one I am with. Whatever....the sooner this is over the better.

Because if they play hardball, he'll show up for training, play in games, and do everything that is contractually required of him. And we'll see the Defoe that we saw at the end of last season, who will dog it and won't contribute to the success of the team, but will hold up a DP slot and a decent chunk of the cap. Not to mention his "injuries" will likely flair up from time to time and he'll have to be "treated" by his medical team back in London.

It's a fantasy to think that TFC can play hardball and end up with fit and fired up Defoe scored 20+ goals next year.

Auzzy
01-10-2015, 12:20 AM
From Paul Beirne's Twitter (he now works for Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship):

David Southgate ‏@DavidSouthgate Jan 8
@Paulbeirne how about using your Toronto influence to sign Jermaine Defoe for #bhafc

Paul Beirne ‏@Paulbeirne Jan 8
@DavidSouthgate trust me...there are zero clubs lining up for that contract. Great player, still has quality, but not at that price

jazzy
01-10-2015, 01:20 AM
From Paul Beirne's Twitter (he now works for Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship):

that quote is hilarious.......and closer to the truth , than what the Defoe lovers here seem to think.......and horrible for TFC . There has to be knowledgeable people in PL that actually know his true diva personality and don't want any part of him.....but then again there were some that thought he could make a difference to the national team ........English strikers unfortunately so over paid and quite average . As he has shown .

MightyDM
01-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Because if they play hardball, he'll show up for training, play in games, and do everything that is contractually required of him. And we'll see the Defoe that we saw at the end of last season, who will dog it and won't contribute to the success of the team, but will hold up a DP slot and a decent chunk of the cap. Not to mention his "injuries" will likely flair up from time to time and he'll have to be "treated" by his medical team back in London.

It's a fantasy to think that TFC can play hardball and end up with fit and fired up Defoe scored 20+ goals next year.

if he does that, he's screwed in world football forever. I just don't see it. The first half of the season, he'll be playing for a transfer in the summer window and will put up the best numbers he can. In fact, next season he is likely to be really good. It's a Defoe who has no hope of going back to the BPL that we should be worried about - when he is 33 or 34. Will he become Henry? Or Earnshaw.

MightyDM
01-10-2015, 06:49 AM
that quote is hilarious.......and closer to the truth , than what the Defoe lovers here seem to think.......and horrible for TFC . There has to be knowledgeable people in PL that actually know his true diva personality and don't want any part of him.....but then again there were some that thought he could make a difference to the national team ........English strikers unfortunately so over paid and quite average . As he has shown .

Everywhere he has played, Defoe has scored. Overpaid? Yes. Average? No way, particularly in the BPL where he can come off the bench incredibly effectively. I'd take him over Falcao right now. And Torres. To name two prominent non English strikers.

ag futbol
01-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Better for TFC to eat larger part of his salary in exchange for a larger transfer fee as we get a percentage of the transfer fee back in Garber bucks. I'm sure Bez is not oblivious to that fact.
This is one of those things where I doubt the league's sincerity. If the fee was the same for the player coming in and going out not only would it act as a tax on the club, it would also provide a means to circumvent the salary cap.

It's original intention was to avoid MLS teams taking all their sale proceeds on internally produced players and spending them in the transfer market. The "reinvestment" they talk about is hogwash, unverifiable and easily bypassed. Needless to say the usefulness of the rule as originally explained has largely been outlived.

TBT we have no idea how the league handles most of this stuff because the rules are embarrassingly private and often broken on a whim.

Pookie
01-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Every little bit helps...

Two steps forward to make up for the "record transfer offer" of $11M a few months ago.

Pookie
01-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Tottenham rumours are interesting.

Spurs could fill up the BMO Multisportmegaplex on a friendly or series of friendlies. If they play that game "for free" that could be used to offset the "transfer" fee and Spurs wouldn't be out of pocket for any of it.

Haddy
01-10-2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/England-star-s-Tottenham-Hotspur-return-moves/story-25835404-detail/story.html

Paper above is claiming that TFC has dropped its asking price for Defoe to 3 mil pounds.

ensco
01-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Tottenham rumours are interesting.

Spurs could fill up the BMO Multisportmegaplex on a friendly or series of friendlies. If they play that game "for free" that could be used to offset the "transfer" fee and Spurs wouldn't be out of pocket for any of it.

They'd be out of pocket whatever they would have gotten playing that night in some other city. iirc these appearance fees are about $1M a game (much less than 2-3x that for Man Utd or Liverpool) which is rounding error here.

Pookie
01-10-2015, 08:22 AM
They'd be out of pocket whatever they would have gotten playing that night in some other city. iirc these appearance fees are about $1M a game (much less than 2-3x that for Man Utd or Liverpool) which is rounding error here.

Yes, opportunity cost but I don't know if they could bypass Toronto. When Defoe signed here, there was this 3-4 year partnership announced with Spurs. Merchandise, events, etc. Sounds like they would be coming anyways.

I'm just suggesting that if they don't have (or want to use) the capital to pay a transfer fee off this year's books, they could wiggle a little on the friendly side. I don't think they wiggle $3M worth but just enough that TFC is saving some face.

Kind of like the CFL suggesting that they could put a few Grey Cups in the BMO Megasportsplex to offset the $10M share that MLSE is looking for.

MightyDM
01-10-2015, 08:45 AM
http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/England-star-s-Tottenham-Hotspur-return-moves/story-25835404-detail/story.html

Paper above is claiming that TFC has dropped its asking price for Defoe to 3 mil pounds.

Love the fact that you follow the Hertfordshire Observer for transfer news! Maybe Defoe is going to Royston?

jloome
01-10-2015, 01:39 PM

It's just parroting a Mirror story from yesterday with the usual absence of any sources.

Haddy
01-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Love the fact that you follow the Hertfordshire Observer for transfer news! Maybe Defoe is going to Royston?

Reddit.

DinamoTFC
01-10-2015, 03:13 PM
I get where you are coming from, but technically his contract obliges him to play for Toronto FC. It does not oblige him to play like he gives a damn. And unfortunately - the players have the power here, and often exert it.

Then he rides the bench. Ruins any good public image of himself. and ruins whatever left of his career that he wanted to pursue by letting his playing time deteriorate and unofficially forced into retirement.
The man is being paid 6 million per year or whatever it is, he needs to learn some damn respect.

OgtheDim
01-10-2015, 03:25 PM
FWIW,

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 4h 4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/553949001796816896) Take tabloid story about #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) lowering Defoe price with a big grain of salt. I'm told #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) committed to not selling him off cheap.

brad
01-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Never place any stock in the Daily Mail anyway. Pure rag.

Greatest Ripoff
01-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Talked about him going to Hull on MOTD tonight. Said after Hulls performance and the injuries they suffered today, the price of Defoe would be going up.

jazzy
01-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Everywhere he has played, Defoe has scored. Overpaid? Yes. Average? No way, particularly in the BPL where he can come off the bench incredibly effectively. I'd take him over Falcao right now. And Torres. To name two prominent non English strikers.

I think your'e judging a few maybe 3 years ago ....they didn't even think he would help the not so talented MNT . Falcao ? seriously ..I'm not South American , much more British...and I would take Falcao in a heartbeat . simply for his skill , play making , and HEART , 2 of 3 which Defoe has lost . Torres and Defoe now there's a ineffective pairing .

OgtheDim
01-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Defoe is the best readily available striker in a market where striker is seen as the key to millions of pounds. The pressure on somebody to buy him is likely moving upwards.

ensco
01-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Defoe is the best readily available striker in a market where striker is seen as the key to millions of pounds. The pressure on somebody to buy him is likely moving upwards.

I can find five posts from the last week in August saying the same thing. He did nothing himself to improve his attractiveness since then. Is the market really that much crazier in January?

OgtheDim
01-11-2015, 08:29 AM
I can find five posts from the last week in August saying the same thing. He did nothing himself to improve his attractiveness since then. Is the market really that much crazier in January?

The market changes with who is available and the situation teams are in. In August, almost every striker has a pricetag and is available. Not so in January.

ensco
01-11-2015, 08:34 AM
The market changes with who is available and the situation teams are in. In August, almost every striker has a pricetag and is available. Not so in January.

I can see that point.

I disagree in this case but we will find out soon.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Is the market really that much crazier in January?

Yes, clubs who buy in January pay over the odds because they are desperate and very few players are available. You see players like Bony for £30 million, Carroll for £35 and Torres for £50.

Areathrasher
01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Good read on the Jan window here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11310309/January-transfer-window-who-uses-it-who-spends-the-most-and-does-it-actually-work.html

ag futbol
01-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Well if you look at it that way... say TFC cover 20k per week (in the middle of your range) 20 x 52 * 3 = ~4.2M ... meaning we'd effectively be giving him away for nothing.

Richard
01-11-2015, 12:25 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11310309/January-transfer-window-who-uses-it-who-spends-the-most-and-does-it-actually-work.html

Thanks for the article, it was a really good read.

Got to love QPR though.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03147/january-2_3147452a.jpg

themodelcitizen
01-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Can't see "Stay in Toronto" as an option on any of the betting sites, so maybe the bookies are getting confused and there's actually a decent chance he'll stay now. Crystal Palace are still favourites at 7/4 FWIW.

Areathrasher
01-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Can't see "Stay in Toronto" as an option on any of the betting sites, so maybe the bookies are getting confused and there's actually a decent chance he'll stay now. Crystal Palace are still favourites at 7/4 FWIW.

Still on SkyBet. 8/1.

brad
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM

The January market is totally different than the summer one. It is a sellers market in January. Less players are available - and there is a healthy dose of desperation in many buyers.

ensco
01-11-2015, 08:53 PM

Gotta say, that is great data that bolsters the case that someone out there will do something stupid with Defoe.

I'm sticking with my view, but I am a lot less sure of it now!

Oblio2
01-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Maybe he can sign for Harlow Town....although we are top of the League right now!!!

Oblio2
01-12-2015, 09:07 AM
I found this quote interesting this morning about Defoe:

"Star midfielder Michael Bradley, like Defoe a designated player, is being kept up to date on all the moves and is involved in the decision-making"

http://www.tsn.ca/english-paper-says-toronto-fc-has-lowered-price-tag-on-defoe-1.179335

TOBOR !
01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Everytime I read this thread title I see "Defoe has NOT said he doesn't want to leave"

is he gone yet ?

MightyDM
01-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Maybe he can sign for Harlow Town....although we are top of the League right now!!!

I knew there was a reason to follow the Hertfordshire Observer for transfer news!

Abou Sky
01-12-2015, 01:23 PM
I found this quote interesting this morning about Defoe:

"Star midfielder Michael Bradley, like Defoe a designated player, is being kept up to date on all the moves and is involved in the decision-making"

http://www.tsn.ca/english-paper-says-toronto-fc-has-lowered-price-tag-on-defoe-1.179335

1. He would know some guys better than anyone else (Altidore)
2. Why would you not want his input? I am sure he doesn't have a veto, but if they go after someone and he says "OH SNAP! That guy is an ASSHOLE!!!" Even if it is just that they don't like each other, I don't want that guy.

ensco
01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
^It is what happens when you have someone with outsized stature on your team. I don't think it works in general, but it might here. My respect for Bradley is exceeding my misgivings about these setups.

Parallel: LeBron is the GM of the Cavs now, and something tells me that will fail miserably.

brad
01-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ (https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/554748407160786947) Our sources are telling us that 10 Premier league clubs are interested in signing Jermain Defoe. #SSNHQ (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SSNHQ?src=hash)

barticusz
01-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ (https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/554748407160786947) Our sources are telling us that 10 Premier league clubs are interested in signing Jermain Defoe. #SSNHQ (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SSNHQ?src=hash)

10! Sheesh.

Auzzy
01-12-2015, 04:29 PM

"Our sources" = Defoe's agent, Defoe's mom, and Bez... ;)

Pookie
01-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Defoe traded to Sunderland for Josy Altidore?

Possible says the daily mirror.... though they say a lot of things are possible. Here is your grain of salt:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2905798/Jermain-Defoe-join-Sunderland-swap-deal-Jozy-Altidore-needed-against-Liverpool.html

barticusz
01-12-2015, 04:32 PM
IN other news media from Leicester are saying they want Defoe and Bradley.

https://twitter.com/TimPearsonMedia/status/554675069637910528

gdg_9
01-12-2015, 04:36 PM
IN other news media from Leicester are saying they want Defoe and Bradley.

https://twitter.com/TimPearsonMedia/status/554675069637910528

They can WANT Bradley as much as they can... there's no way they get him.

brad
01-12-2015, 05:44 PM
"Our sources" = Defoe's agent, Defoe's mom, and Bez... ;)

Definitely a rumor still - but Sky Sports doesn't print straight out fabrications (like the Daily Fail for example). Of course the fact that there are 10 clubs interested only tells us that there is demand for Defoe despite his injuries, despite playing a year in the MLS and despite his age.

What it doesn't tell us what those clubs value Defoe at from a transfer perspective, what the would pay for his salary, and how long of a contract would be on the table.

pdubs
01-12-2015, 06:41 PM
They can WANT Bradley as much as they can... there's no way they get him.

just put a 50 million price for him aha.

pdubs
01-12-2015, 06:44 PM

In January teams get hungry, especially in the EPL. Can be the difference in staying up adding a quality striker. Defoe is a known quality for sale doesn't surprise me. Hold strong Bez, get a good price! aha

MightyDM
01-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Definitely a rumor still - but Sky Sports doesn't print straight out fabrications (like the Daily Fail for example). Of course the fact that there are 10 clubs interested only tells us that there is demand for Defoe despite his injuries, despite playing a year in the MLS and despite his age.

What it doesn't tell us what those clubs value Defoe at from a transfer perspective, what the would pay for his salary, and how long of a contract would be on the table.

A club showing interest knows the fee toronto paid, knows Defoes wages, and would have arranged for someone to watch him train at Spurs. The fact they are interested suggests they think he is over the injury and that they can afford him.

mowe
01-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm confident we can get a good price for Defoe. Hopefully we re-invest it properly.

Kaz
01-13-2015, 12:03 AM
Honestly I would love to see report on the 17th, and on February 1st he is still here. Not because I don't think he is being shopped, but because I think this club needs to shut up keep the guys they have and make it work, Defoe is a pro and will play.

Derko
01-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Honestly I would love to see report on the 17th, and on February 1st he is still here. Not because I don't think he is being shopped, but because I think this club needs to shut up keep the guys they have and make it work, Defoe is a pro and will play.

I would like Defoe to prove us all wrong, that would be th Pro thing for him to do.

Canary10
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Crystal Palace signed Yaya Sanogo on loan. That's another potential Defoe landing site gone.

Super
01-13-2015, 09:57 AM
It's starting to look very possible that Defoe suits up for us again in March.

Carts
01-13-2015, 10:09 AM
It's starting to look very possible that Defoe suits up for us again in March.

I'd hold off on this statement for now... We're only halfway through the transfer window...

There can be as much action in the last 48-hours as the first 29-days...

Transfer rumors, reports, articles, tweets, and everything come and go faster than a virgin with Victoria's Secret Angle - so let's sit tight for now...

Carts...

Super
01-13-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd hold off on this statement for now... We're only halfway through the transfer window...

There can be as much action in the last 48-hours as the first 29-days...

Transfer rumors, reports, articles, tweets, and everything come and go faster than a virgin with Victoria's Secret Angle - so let's sit tight for now...

Carts...

Yes, of course. But for me it was more likely yesterday than it is today. Doors are closing on Defoe, and I hope that Bez is listening to fans and how we won't appreciate a shit deal moving forward. We've been given plenty of that in the past, so if Bez wants a future here he shouldn't make the club look bad by giving Defoe away for a bag of balls. Been there, done that.

OgtheDim
01-13-2015, 11:00 AM
One guy gets loaned to one team and Defoe is now stuck with us?

Super
01-13-2015, 11:11 AM
One guy gets loaned to one team and Defoe is now stuck with us?

No, but he's probably a little less likely to go to Crystal Palace.

burlington Red
01-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Hull might be back on the Defoe hunt, Jelavic their striker out for 6 weeks.

Canary10
01-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Hull might be back on the Defoe hunt, Jelavic their striker out for 6 weeks.

They pretty much have no striker right now.

Super
01-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Time to make a good deal then.

Oblio2
01-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Hull have a few of ex-Spurs there...Huddlestone, Livermore and Dawson.....He'd do ok there

Canary10
01-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Hull have a few of ex-Spurs there...Huddlestone, Livermore and Dawson.....He'd do ok there

Yeah. Would give them a spine of unwanted Spurs players, if/when Dawson plays. Not sure what that would mean for their survival chances....

burlington Red
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

apparently Abel Hernandez their other striker is also out, he went off last game injured. Not sure how long he's gone for, but Hull seriously need a striker. If they were reluctant to splash the cash previously, they might have to now

ryan
01-13-2015, 03:44 PM
He better fuckin leave. It'll be a dreadful showing with him still here playing half assed footie, will wreck our season (not that we need help with that). First bump and he'll be on the IR with a sore gooch.

Super
01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
IF he stays then I hope he understands the importance of putting on a good show - otherwise he might not see any transfer in July to the Prem. He might be looking at lower league football.

Personally I hope he comes back. I don't expect it to be for long, but he's a sure thing goal scorer, and I'd love to kick off 7 games on the road with Defoe on top. Then he can fuck off after ;p

Oblio2
01-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Being reported in the UK now that Defoe has signed a massive deal with Sunderland worth £14m pounds.
3 1/2 years at 80k a week

BritSOL
01-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Toronto Sun reporting done deal

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/13/jermain-defoe-signs-massive-deal-with-sunderland-report (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/13/jermain-defoe-signs-massive-deal-with-sunderland-report)

OgtheDim
01-13-2015, 07:09 PM
The "More to come" from Larson indicates that every reporter is now working their sources.

The *** (UK types) are scumbags. Lets see if somebody with a bit more integrity comes in with something.

mowe
01-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Toronto Sun reporting done deal

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/13/jermain-defoe-signs-massive-deal-with-sunderland-report (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/13/jermain-defoe-signs-massive-deal-with-sunderland-report)

A friendly tip: when an article says "Report:" somewhere in the title or "according to reports" in the body that means they're just reposting someone else's story. Larson isn't actually reporting this is a done deal. He's just drawing more attention to the UK Sun story, he has no information to add.

MightyDM
01-13-2015, 07:37 PM
IF he stays then I hope he understands the importance of putting on a good show - otherwise he might not see any transfer in July to the Prem. He might be looking at lower league football.

Personally I hope he comes back. I don't expect it to be for long, but he's a sure thing goal scorer, and I'd love to kick off 7 games on the road with Defoe on top. Then he can fuck off after ;p

so glad you said that. If he came back, he'd actually perform because he would know he had to. Seattle was magic last year, would love to see more of that.

pdubs
01-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Wheeler saying done deal. Swap is in. With cash heading to Toronto apparently!

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-completes-swap-deal-altidore-to-toronto-defoe-to-sunderland-1.181889

also

"negotiations to bring Juventus attacking midfielder/striker Sebastian Giovinco to TFC continue to advance."

ryan
01-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Thrilled about his departure, not so sure about Altidore coming to us but perhaps playing with Bradley will make it worthwhile.

Areathrasher
01-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Hat tip to Ensco. Looks like we have to do a deal with the Impact

Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) 43s43 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/555172245363245056)Los Angeles, CA (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A3b77caf94bfc81fe)
Another bloody big deal. Source confirms #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TorontoFC?src=hash) has sold Jermain Defoe to Sunderland. Altidore to TFC has to go thru allocation route.