PDA

View Full Version : Rob Friend's comments on the CSA

Red I
12-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Rob's quotes on possible future endeavors after announcing his retirement...

He'd also relish the opportunity to work with the Canadian Soccer Association.

“I would love to change the entire dynamic of the CSA,” he said. “We're 20 years behind the U.S., and I think there's a lot of ideas and a lot of tips that we can all take from the U.S., and especially Canada. We're too far behind, and it takes guys who have made it and have been outside of Canada and made it around the world to change the whole mentality and the whole system.

“It takes a lot of work, and not one man's going to change it. I think I would love to somehow help out the Canadian Association somehow. Or the players as well.”

After the hiring of Floro and the very short-run of positive results for Canada, is this team really 20 years behind US? Didn't Canada beat the US in a U-20 tourney? I know it's a bit of hyperbole due to how the organization was being run during the previous eras, but wow, seems a litle off-base considering changes have been made.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

Canary10
12-12-2014, 09:55 AM

After the hiring of Floro and the very short-run of positive results for Canada, is this team really 20 years behind US? Didn't Canada beat the US in a U-20 tourney? I know it's a bot of hyperbole due to how the organization was being run during the previous eras, but wow, seems a litle off-base considering changes have been made.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?[/SIZE][/FONT]

They made it to the second round of the World Cup this year. How many years do you think it'll be before Canada does the same?

Loyal
12-12-2014, 09:56 AM
It is very odd! I believe he was part of a couple friendlies under Floro - Is he saying he was not impressed?

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I think it was a poor way to go about pursuing his next career choice but as he's been a player that hasn't seen the strides that Canada has seen since MLS have come here.

I think he would benefit from a limited role in the Canada program. He seems unsure as to what direction he'd even like to take but I'm sure that Canada can find a spot for him and would be unwise not to use his playing experience as a resource.

Shway
12-12-2014, 11:33 AM
By 20 years behind, I believe he means the entire infrastructure...and that is definitely the case. But its all about the money, money, money.

TFC07
12-12-2014, 11:38 AM
By 20 years behind, I believe he means the entire infrastructure...and that is definitely the case. But its all about the money, money, money.

Bingo. Also lack of pro teams in Canada where Canadians can play and develop is another area where Canada is behind USA. Since birth of MLS, USA run with it and became power house in our region.

People forget that Canada at times (especially 80's) were ahead of USA soccer until 90's.

ag futbol
12-12-2014, 12:14 PM

After the hiring of Floro and the very short-run of positive results for Canada, is this team really 20 years behind US? Didn't Canada beat the US in a U-20 tourney? I know it's a bit of hyperbole due to how the organization was being run during the previous eras, but wow, seems a litle off-base considering changes have been made.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
The association is still badly lagging, lacks high quality managers (CEO, CFO, etc...), peddles too much to amateurism, and in general: lacks urgency to improve.

If these guys were not connected through minor soccer nobody would trust them to run an association anywhere. We need people who slash, burn, topple, and get things done.

That's exactly what Ken Reed (sp?) did at ski canada. Floro is fine, but a NT coach is one picture of a much larger puzzle.

ensco
12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
The US has been in the last 7 straight World Cups and has made it out of the group stage 4 times.

We haven't even been close since 1994. We are going backwards, have never even made it to the Hex!.

We are more than 20 years behind.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-12-2014, 04:32 PM
yeah was gonna say, dont think hes really that far off even with recent progress

Richard
12-12-2014, 05:28 PM
The problem is Canada is too much of a salad bowl and not enough of the melting pot that America is, to many people here don't wish to associate as being Canadian but rather their heritage when it comes to football, where as in Mercia its all about supporting good ole Uncle Sam. Its going to take more 5-6th generation Canadians for us to get the right players in a team.

TFC07
12-12-2014, 07:10 PM
The problem is Canada is too much of a salad bowl and not enough of the melting pot that America is, to many people here don't wish to associate as being Canadian but rather their heritage when it comes to football, where as in Mercia its all about supporting good ole Uncle Sam. Its going to take more 5-6th generation Canadians for us to get the right players in a team.

People just want to support and play for winning team. If Canada was good and consistent, then we would have less of issue keeping our best players.

That being said, Canada is showing some potential in youth level and producing some very good players who can one day be good enough to carry men's team to World Cup. Right now, we need to fix grassroot (LTPD is a good start) while try to get more Canadian teams into MLS/NASL or form all Canadian league so we can develop players and improve quality of soccer in this country.

Pookie
12-12-2014, 09:09 PM
If you have a kid in youth soccer and actually get involved in understanding the politics… 20 years behind sounds like the best case scenario.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Interesting to look at responses in this thread. They are more about heaping on the past structure and how far we have to go than about Rob Friend's prospects in it. it sounds like he wants to help. My point being I hope the people involved in making the decision to take him on somewhere in the program look past a comment that was clearly meant as an honest albeit undeveloped assessment and not an outright insult or rant. I wish him luck and success.

Pookie
12-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Interesting to look at responses in this thread. They are more about heaping on the past structure and how far we have to go than about Rob Friend's prospects in it. it sounds like he wants to help. My point being I hope the people involved in making the decision to take him on somewhere in the program look past a comment that was clearly meant as an honest albeit undeveloped assessment and not an outright insult or rant. I wish him luck and success.

I think he is honest and has something to contribute. I wonder if he would get the opportunity considering the opening line of "I would love to change the entire structure of the CSA."

If you consider all of the politics and self serving decisions that were made just within one age group in Ontario with the OPDL, I don't see the CSA being open to someone telling them they need to change their entire structure.

It isn't all bad. Using the OPDL example, it is a step forward in terms of offering more development. But many, many challenges exist (eg. Board, staffed by Club representatives, voting to exclude Academies who met technical criteria .... 8 Clubs in York Region 4 in Ottawa vs virtually none in Peel.... Players rights being strictly held by clubs... Clubs folding OPDL teams with potential to see more go in 2015.... Etc)

I'd say 20 years to turn around the board rooms that make and implement important directional decisions and then to see the fruits of that is pretty optimistic.

Initial B
12-13-2014, 07:48 PM
If the CMNT eventually finds some success, I think it will be in spite of the CSA and provincial organizations, not because of them.