PDA

View Full Version : The Yorkies end their TFC blog

Still Kicking
12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I have been involved with the Red Patch Boys forum for years and years. I value the insights, the knowledge and the discussions and probably visit this forum more often than I should.

I know that at one stage RPB had a problem with blogs. Too many times threads just became dotted with a host of bloggers telling you that their thoughts were available on their blog, so leave the forum and come to my place. I know, I was one of them.

RPB made the decision to have a news thread where bloggers could throw up a link. Fair enough. I have used it. Most times I forget to use it.

However I think that the news that the bloggers The Yorkies (http://yorkies1812.blogspot.ca/2014/12/full-time-at-yorkies.html) have ended their blog deserves some RPB discussion.

I know that it has shaken my blogging heart and makes me wonder about continuing Mistake by the Lake (http://torontofcfan-mistakebythelake.blogspot.ca/2014/12/alone-again-naturally-or-worlds-worst.html)

So mods - do what you must - place this where you feel it belongs...

I am more than a little sad at The Yorkies news, but perhaps it is something only obscure bloggers can care about. Were we the blacksmiths of social media?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-11-2014, 11:41 AM
the one guy is still on that podcast no? Hes pretty funny

Oldtimer
12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Blogging is a personal choice. Does it fit your lifestyle and self-expression? Are people interested in reading what you have to say?

As far as reading blogs, I find that people divide into three camps. The first group are like myself. I love to read blogs and people's opinions, especially when it comes to the "beautiful game." I find I learn a lot from other people's ideas (even when I disagree with them), that's one reason I love our board. The second group detest blogs. They couldn't care less about some guy/gal's opinion, they have their own opinions (thank-you very much). They tend to see blogs as self-promotion and have no time for them. They only want facts from reliable sources (read traditional media). A third and much smaller group like blogs if they bring something unique in terms of "inside" information or news. They don't care for opinion blogs, only information blogs will do.

So when we split off blogs into a separate area, it was to please everyone. Those like myself who love blogs can find them all in one convenient place. Those who hate them can ignore that one corner of our board. I think that's worked for us very well.

I don't feel sad at all if people change their medium of expression (e.g. print to podcasts). I do feel sad when people give up on TFC, and too many have since 2009.

Still Kicking
12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Well put Oldtimer.

I did not want to revisit the decision regarding blogs, I just wanted to throw in the preamble to promote the fact that I knew that blog discussion and placement in the forum had been a point of discussion.

I guess beyond the preamble, I should have done a better job stating that I was wishing to start an appreciation thread for The Yorkies. I thought they were funny, I thought they were the pinnacle of the blog form.
And their departure makes me appreciate RPB forum even more than before...

TorontoGooner
12-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Followed the Yorkies on Twitter whilst I was on there, genuinely the funniest person in the TFC community.

Detroit_TFC
12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Sad to see it go but hopefully it will open the door to something new for them. Enjoyed reading the contributions of all involved with the site.

Hitcho
12-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Heads up - you can find the Yorkies blogger here: www.vocalminority.ca (http://www.vocalminority.ca)

He's banded together with the guy who founded (but recently stepped down from) the Waking The Red blog, along with the other members of the Vocal Minority podcast. Should be a good new read...

Red CB Toronto
12-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Blogging is a personal choice. Does it fit your lifestyle and self-expression? Are people interested in reading what you have to say?

As far as reading blogs, I find that people divide into three camps. The first group are like myself. I love to read blogs and people's opinions, especially when it comes to the "beautiful game." I find I learn a lot from other people's ideas (even when I disagree with them), that's one reason I love our board. The second group detest blogs. They couldn't care less about some guy/gal's opinion, they have their own opinions (thank-you very much). They tend to see blogs as self-promotion and have no time for them. They only want facts from reliable sources (read traditional media). A third and much smaller group like blogs if they bring something unique in terms of "inside" information or news. They don't care for opinion blogs, only information blogs will do.

So when we split off blogs into a separate area, it was to please everyone. Those like myself who love blogs can find them all in one convenient place. Those who hate them can ignore that one corner of our board. I think that's worked for us very well.

I don't feel sad at all if people change their medium of expression (e.g. print to podcasts). I do feel sad when people give up on TFC, and too many have since 2009.

The thing is today blogs are used by major media outlets as an extension of the already existing product, just about any major writer also has a web presence, so in my eyes blogs as the days go by are becoming traditional media it just comes down to the credibility/background/style of the person writing.

Oldtimer
12-25-2014, 09:14 PM
The thing is today blogs are used by major media outlets as an extension of the already existing product true, and that falls under self-promotion or brand-promotion, which I don't mind but which the second group of people that I mentioned hate. We'll never make everyone happy, but if we can have peace and goodwill on the board, it's good! :thumbsup:

CommradePolski
12-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Reading the starting 11 was the highlight of my monday. I will surely miss it.

Pookie
12-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Blogging for sports is a tough go.

Right out of the gate you don't have credibility. You have to struggle to build access to the team/sport you are covering and you do it all for peanuts, often putting massive hours in to make it fly.

It also takes a personal toll on you. That sport that you love loses its lustre a little as you explore your sources and stories.

The more you know. The more you hear. The less lustre the game has.

I wish the Yorkies and Duncan all the best.