PDA

View Full Version : Owen Coyle Joins Houston Dynamo

jabbronies
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Here we go. I guess this is the first time an MLS club has brought on a manager with his type of experience?
http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2014/12/owen-coyle-joins-houston-dynamo-wanting-build-something-longevity

Detroit_TFC
12-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I was wondering the same question. Carlos Alberto Parreira at MetroStars in 1997 was pretty big.

backbeat
12-09-2014, 12:39 PM
The Dynamo announced that they’ve hired veteran Scottish manager Owen Coyle to become only the club’s second coach

W O W imagine that...consistency...

brad
12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I was wondering the same question. Carlos Alberto Parreira at MetroStars in 1997 was pretty big.

There was also big name disaster Ruud Gullit, and Queiroz had managed the Portuguese National side and Sporting when he came.

But what interests me about Coyle is his experience at the top level and his success at lower levels - which involves working with more limited set of players. I've often wondered how a manager with that skill set will do in the MLS. A lot will depend on the team he surrounds himself with to navigate the intricacies of the league.

brad
12-09-2014, 12:50 PM
The Dynamo announced that they’ve hired veteran Scottish manager Owen Coyle to become only the club’s second coach

W O W imagine that...consistency...

And it stretches back further than 2006 as Kinnear and his team came over from San Jose when they were relocated to Houston.

2 MLS cups and 2 Runners up in their 8 year existence as the Dynamo.

Detroit_TFC
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
TBH I forgot about Gullit. What a train wreck that was.

jabbronies
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
There was also big name disaster Ruud Gullit, and Queiroz had managed the Portuguese National side and Sporting when he came.

But what interests me about Coyle is his experience at the top level and his success at lower levels - which involves working with more limited set of players. I've often wondered how a manager with that skill set will do in the MLS. A lot will depend on the team he surrounds himself with to navigate the intricacies of the league.

ya but Gullit didn't really have any success anywhere. Those Chelsea trophies can't really be credited to him.
Queiroz is an assistant manager. Always has been always will be IMO

Coyle has had success in many ways that an MLS team can benefit from. As you mentioned he's won things with lower level players and salaries. he's actually built strong teams with little resources (compared to his counterparts).

MightyDM
12-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Wow. He is a real manager, well qualified. And Houston had earlier said they were looking for a young manager with recent league experience and good analytic skills (ie Vanney or similar). I would take Coyle for sure. And, after last weeks Newcastle win over Chelsea, I would welcome Carver back also.

brad
12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Wow. He is a real manager, well qualified. And Houston had earlier said they were looking for a young manager with recent league experience and good analytic skills (ie Vanney or similar). I would take Coyle for sure. And, after last weeks Newcastle win over Chelsea, I would welcome Carver back also.

Regarding Carver - there is a big difference between being a manager and being an assistant. Take the comment about Queiroz above. He was highly instrumental in United's success in the mid 2000's, but fell on his face as a manager.

The Coyle experiment is one I am very interested in seeing play out.

jabbronies
12-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Regarding Carver - there is a big difference between being a manager and being an assistant. Take the comment about Queiroz above. He was highly instrumental in United's success in the mid 2000's, but fell on his face as a manager.

The Coyle experiment is one I am very interested in seeing play out.

I thought Carver started to get it towards the end of his tenure - But TBH - his heart is in Newcastle. He'd never come back - unless of course the club (NUFC) got into a sticky situation like before and he bails ship.