PDA

View Full Version : Forbes Mexico Franchise value rankings

Miko
12-05-2014, 10:22 AM
So Forbes Mexico did a ranking of team values for all teams in The Americas and published the top 30.

Interesting things here.

NYRB is the 5th most valuable team.

Sporting KC is worth more in their estimation than LA Galaxy.

Montreal makes the list.

TFC doesn't.

Forbes Mexico disagrees over the value of Seattle Sounders to the tune of $100MM.

http://soccergods.com/2014/12/04/club-values-mls-americas-forbes-mexico/

Kayaker
12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
So Forbes Mexico did a ranking of team values for all teams in The Americas and published the top 30.

Interesting things here.

NYRB is the 5th most valuable team.

Sporting KC is worth more in their estimation than LA Galaxy.

Montreal makes the list.

TFC doesn't.

Forbes Mexico disagrees over the value of Seattle Sounders to the tune of $100MM.

http://soccergods.com/2014/12/04/club-values-mls-americas-forbes-mexico/

I read this and on the surface, it doesn't make much sense. However, much of the valuation will depend on if the team owns their stadium or not. New York owns theirs, LA doesn't. I would imagine that Joey Saputo owns his.

Will be interesting if Forbes Mexico does an updated list next year and if they consider MLSE's investment in BMO Field as 'ownership' or not.

Damien
12-05-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't understand how TFC doesn't make that list, but Montreal, KC and Colombus rank above us?

...I think the writer was high on peyote.

Super
12-05-2014, 11:33 AM
You would think that TFC should be in the top 3 of most valuable teams in the league. Not owning the stadium probably hurts us in this regard, but as a team and with the massive fan base it should definitely be top 3. Seattle #1.

WestStandGeoff
12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
I think the line in the article that sums this up best - "let’s remember the internet’s rule of lists: Fun first; methodology, meh".

dutch
12-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Owning your stadium is huge in terms of value. if you knew a team spent a hundred million this year on signings BUT play in a 160 million dollar stadium which is owned by the state for the next 20 years, It affects value overall, Yes my math is wrong, its a guesstimate. But going thru the list, its a total joke. How NYRB is valued in any way more than Internacional, Club America, Sao Paulo, Santos Laguna, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Flamengo, Atletico Mineiro, Independiente, etc etc I think the article is skewed beyond recognition. Stadium sizes for clubs who own, club history, fan attendance and fan base. MLS does not belong in this top 30, thats the truth.

Oldtimer
12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Columbus ahead of Toronto? :shocked:

Pookie
12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Columbus ahead of Toronto? :shocked:

Well, the Crew were sold for $68M so that value is pretty established.

Toronto may be suffering from debt and a significant blow to operating income as a result of their massive (2) contracts and stadium renovations on a building that they don't own.

Super
12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, the Crew were sold for $68M so that value is pretty established.

Toronto may be suffering from debt and a significant blow to operating income as a result of their massive (2) contracts and stadium renovations on a building that they don't own.

Makes you wonder how much you'd have to fork out to buy TFC today. Won't be cheap, that's for sure.

Beach_Red
12-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Makes you wonder how much you'd have to fork out to buy TFC today. Won't be cheap, that's for sure.

Would anyone but a media company be interested in owning a team here?