PDA

View Full Version : Official: Toronto FC USL Pro Team

Shway
11-20-2014, 10:34 AM
It's official (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/11/toronto-fc-announces-usl-pro-team)

More room for player development.

jabbronies
11-20-2014, 10:38 AM
so what happens to the setup with Wilmington?

PopePouri
11-20-2014, 10:39 AM
so what happens to the setup with Wilmington?

It was a one year deal.

jabbronies
11-20-2014, 10:39 AM
It was a one year deal.

Nevermind - I'm an idiot and totally skipped the paragraph that laid it out.

barticusz
11-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Fantastic news to wake up to! Great work by MLSE and even better opportunities for the U23 level players to really excel in a system that we can teach within.

Phil
11-20-2014, 10:50 AM
This to me is about the best thing that could happen to TFC. Well done!

Joe Kool
11-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Yay....more footy to watch. Excellent news!

barticusz
11-20-2014, 11:00 AM
This to me is about the best thing that could happen to TFC. Well done! No kidding Phil.. I am so thrilled with this news. This is more of bloody big deal than any DP signing we could make. We finally have a place to send our guys to for seasoning. This is going to give some extremely valuable minutes to all of our academy prospects. Love it.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 11:03 AM
This is fantastic! It's been great to see the MLS-USL relationship work out so well, this is great news for footy development in the GTA. I see the last sentence in the article about training out of Downsview, anybody know if they're going to play there or BMO or somewhere else like Lamport or something? I wonder if they might put it outside Toronto as well, to tap one of Brampton/Ssauga/Vaughan...

I think it's great for youth development that they have reserve teams in the pyramid in Spain, Germany, France, etc., and I hope the reforms in England go through as well, great news today from the club.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/11/toronto-fc-announces-usl-pro-team

C.Ronaldo
11-20-2014, 11:05 AM
so this would be for players between the academy in the League 1 and MLS?

does it work exactly the reserve league? How does calling up a player work with the cap?

Joe Kool
11-20-2014, 11:11 AM
This is fantastic! It's been great to see the MLS-USL relationship work out so well, this is great news for footy development in the GTA. I see the last sentence in the article about training out of Downsview, anybody know if they're going to play there or BMO or somewhere else like Lamport or something? I wonder if they might put it outside Toronto as well, to tap one of Brampton/Ssauga/Vaughan...

I think it's great for youth development that they have reserve teams in the pyramid in Spain, Germany, France, etc., and I hope the reforms in England go through as well, great news today from the club.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/11/toronto-fc-announces-usl-pro-team

Pretty sure in the original Kia Training Grounds announcement they said something about one of the fields getting some stands for academy games but I don't think it ever happened. Why not retrofit a field at Downsview for the team to play at with some stands and facilities....would be a decent central location I would think. I would be up for that.

gdg_9
11-20-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm curious whether roster rules will be tweaked in the new CBA to reflect all of these MLS clubs owning USLPro teams.

Ideally, the roster size will be increased (especially the number of "off-budget" players) to allow teams to sign more young players and send them down to their USLPro affiliates, with the option of recalling them throughout the season.

JuliquE
11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Does this mean we have to remove "send him to Wilmington" from the TFC lexicon?! ^^

Thrilled—absolutely thrilled.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
so this would be for players between the academy in the League 1 and MLS?

does it work exactly the reserve league? How does calling up a player work with the cap?

Yep, it would be for players graduating from the Academy at L1O. Is the L1O side a U-18 side right? Not a U-20 side?

Anyways, the USL Pro team would make a great U-21 or a U-23 side, and if a player finds the USL Pro too easy, I hope TFC sends out more players on loan to NASL sides.

Fort York Redcoat
11-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Another gap in player progression is filled. Well done.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
For LA Galaxy II, I did find, "The squad of LA Galaxy II will be composed of an unrestricted number of first-team players on loan to the reserve team, players signed by Galaxy II, and LA Galaxy Academy players. Academy players who appear in matches with LA Galaxy II will retain their college eligibility." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Galaxy_II#cite_note-Team_in_USL_PRO-1)

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/783769.html

ManUtd4ever
11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Great news. I hope this will result in a greater ability to hold onto and develop our young prospects moving forward.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
And the release from USL Pro on the TFC II side: http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/848496.html. No new info though.

BuSaPuNk
11-20-2014, 11:46 AM
This is by far the biggest move this club has ever made.

This has so many positives and glad to see Bez finally got it done.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Last one for me for the day on this topic :) I see that the Galaxy included all Galaxy II games for free as part of season tickets. For non-SSH, they began at $72 for 14 regular season home games.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/01/la-galaxy-announce-usl-pro-team-la-galaxy-ii

gdg_9
11-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Last one for me for the day on this topic :) I see that the Galaxy included all Galaxy II games for free as part of season tickets. For non-SSH, they began at $72 for 14 regular season home games.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/01/la-galaxy-announce-usl-pro-team-la-galaxy-ii

Don't have a link, but apparently Montreal are doing this as well.

I'd like to see them give SSH option of free tickets, with the condition they have to be claimed in Account Manager ahead of time.

The unclaimed tix should be given to various youth soccer associations around the GTA and Southern Ontario.

Jpexxx
11-20-2014, 12:02 PM
What does Lamport hold?

Is that a reasonable option for the team?

Lennon
11-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Good news for TFC, bad news for USL. Can't be good for the league having all these reserve/U23 teams.

Damien
11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Bring Back the Bizzard.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 12:07 PM
What does Lamport hold?

Is that a reasonable option for the team?

I just mentioned it just for the hell of it. But I do remember now that Duane Rollins might have said something about Vaughan before. Gonna check twitter now to see what's the latest.

Ivy
11-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Great news, very surprising!
Last I heard Bez talking about it, it was still "we're planning; early stages; maybe" etc. Good stuff.

Shway
11-20-2014, 12:24 PM
I just mentioned it just for the hell of it. But I do remember now that Duane Rollins might have said something about Vaughan before. Gonna check twitter now to see what's the latest.

Your right. It was mentioned that they would play at the OSA stadium (which is suppose to be being built).

However, I would prefer downsview as it more of a central location for the supporters out east.

Red I
11-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Good news for TFC, bad news for USL. Can't be good for the league having all these reserve/U23 teams.

Technically, it's a tier below NASL, so maybe not AS bad

PopePouri
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM

I doubt that. They weren't going to compete with MLS or NASL so it was smart for them to recognize where they were in the pecking order and partner with MLS. Next year's expansion will almost double the amount of teams meaning more games, more fans (both MLS and current USL Pro teams) and more exposure.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Kurt Larson is also saying that Vaughan is the most likely candidate at the moment.

Initial B
11-20-2014, 12:55 PM
So I'm assuming this will be the shape of the TFC pyramid as far as club progression goes:

TFC Main Team
U-23s: TFC USL
U-20s: L1O
U-18s and under: OPDL

I think that's looking pretty solid now. No Gaps.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 01:09 PM
So I'm assuming this will be the shape of the TFC pyramid as far as club progression goes:

TFC Main Team
U-23s: TFC USL
U-20s: L1O
U-18s and under: OPDL

I think that's looking pretty solid now. No Gaps.

That looks pretty damn good. I do think from what I've seen is that the L1O team was a U-18 side this year, not 100% sure, but they should implement the pyramid you have as the OPDL age groups go higher and higher until they hit the U-18.

Cas87
11-20-2014, 01:21 PM
This will be interesting to see develop.

With the academy kids, any HGP contracts on the Main Roster, and Senior players that come down for a game or two to get minutes this looks very appealing to watch next year (and depending on how the Senior team progresses, may be the more successful too)

Who do we think will be kept around?

Initial B
11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I'll be interested to see the price structure for seats. I'm thinking a $15/$10 split with youth under 16 being half price would be a good start.

I was also thinking that this team would be a good place for some of our veterans who have lost a step with the first team could play at this level to provide leadership and mentoring to the young ones. I think DeRo would fit well in this role (assuming he'd take a bit of a pay cut).

RealG-TFC
11-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Wonder where hey would play. The closes stadium I could think of around Downsview is the new York Stadium.

ironcub14
11-20-2014, 03:12 PM
I'll be interested to see the price structure for seats. I'm thinking a $15/$10 split with youth under 16 being half price would be a good start.

I was also thinking that this team would be a good place for some of our veterans who have lost a step with the first team could play at this level to provide leadership and mentoring to the young ones. I think DeRo would fit well in this role (assuming he'd take a bit of a pay cut).

You wouldn't want a guy like DeRo to be playing for your reserves, that would be pretty disrespectful to put him there. The B team should be a kept as pure of a U-23 team as possible, purely for developmental purposes. Any veterans that can't stay in the matchday squad should be traded, sent out on loan or released, but they shouldn't be sent to the reserves unless they are coming back from a lengthy injury.

Yohan
11-20-2014, 03:20 PM
You wouldn't want a guy like DeRo to be playing for your reserves, that would be pretty disrespectful to put him there. The B team should be a kept as pure of a U-23 team as possible, purely for developmental purposes. Any veterans that can't stay in the matchday squad should be traded, sent out on loan or released, but they shouldn't be sent to the reserves unless they are coming back from a lengthy injury.
DeRo has coaching aspirations, no? he can be a player-coach for the USL team.

LA signed couple of old geezers for veteran presence for their USL team. I'd say it paid off that they had couple of guys to mentor the kids in the locker room.

C.Ronaldo
11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
lamport would be nice, making that neighbourhood the RED neighbourhood. Kinda like the area around the spurs is all blue

currently its in the overprice condo and hipster hood, but that could change once the bankruptcy's happen

Yohan
11-20-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-tfc-mls-major-league-soccer-usl-pro-jason-bent-greg-vanney/

DeRo Fan #1
11-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Excellent!
Interesting to see what the name'll be.
But for all those young guys without playing time, this is their chance.

Shway
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
I hope they just call it TFC II, build the brand

PopePouri
11-20-2014, 05:34 PM
I prefer the Bundesliga "2" instead of the La Liga "B".

Ossington Mental Youth
11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
lamport would be nice, making that neighbourhood the RED neighbourhood. Kinda like the area around the spurs is all blue

currently its in the overprice condo and hipster hood, but that could change once the bankruptcy's happen

its a bit of a shit hole for a stadium, if they can find/afford better, why not?

reggie
11-20-2014, 07:51 PM
how many seats are we talking about??

C.Ronaldo
11-21-2014, 10:43 AM
its a bit of a shit hole for a stadium, if they can find/afford better, why not?

was hoping for Renos on it. The downtown could use a small stadium since Varisty pooped all over the history of theirs

PopePouri
11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
My hope is they renovate Centennial Park stadium and move closer to Mississauga.

Chinatownchef
11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
My hope is they renovate Centennial Park stadium and move closer to Mississauga.

Sounds like like a good idea, population is ripe for a minor pro team. If not Tim Horton field in Hamilton needs footy representation.

ironcub14
11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Two pretty good articles discussing the addition of the USL Pro side.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/the-real-bloody-big-deal-r4966

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-bridging-the-development-gap/

gdg_9
11-21-2014, 02:12 PM
And it's official...

Whitecaps announce their own USLPro team.

"Whitecaps FC 2" will play at Thunderbird Stadium at UBC.

At least their will be a couple good natural rivals in Montreal and Vancouver for out TFC2 now!

Detroit_TFC
11-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Pros and cons but IMO the pros outweigh the cons. Should be good for USL Pro unless a gap develops btw the MLS affiliated teams and the poorer non-affiliated teams, especially if the MLS-affiliated teams are using MLS team infrastructure. As for the MLS teams, as long as they give the USL Pro affiliates enough resources and attention, it should be big boost to homegrown player generation. Hopefully USL Pro provides enough of a structure that the teams take the league competition seriously, unlike what happened with the reserve league.

C.Ronaldo
11-21-2014, 03:14 PM

would the eglinton LRT eventually go in that direction?

PopePouri
11-21-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't think there's even a bus that goes up and down Renforth.

Yohan
11-21-2014, 03:49 PM
MLS is spending about 1.5 mil per year on youth development per team. Wouldn't be surprised if some of that money went towards operating an USL team

Cas87
11-21-2014, 04:16 PM
would the eglinton LRT eventually go in that direction?

And the Mississauga BRT eventually too.

khso11
11-21-2014, 04:30 PM

Centennial Stadium is already being renovated for the Pan Am games.

khso11
11-21-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't think there's even a bus that goes up and down Renforth.

There's a bus on Rathburn, which is a 3 min walk to the stadium.

Shway
11-21-2014, 04:39 PM
No, No, No - to Centennial Stadium. Way to damn far, not enough parking, and its just in a bad spot.

Downsview is perfect, and accessible to get to where ever you are, but because they probably won't have something ready by then....Lamport Stadium is perfect.

flamehawk
11-21-2014, 04:51 PM
No, No, No - to Centennial Stadium. Way to damn far, not enough parking, and its just in a bad spot.

Downsview is perfect, and accessible to get to where ever you are, but because they probably won't have something ready by then....Lamport Stadium is perfect.

Downsview Park is ideal for me. 15 min. drive.

I mean, they have all the facilities available there. All they would need is to put up a couple of no frill bleachers to seat 2000 or so.

Shway
11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
MLS is spending about 1.5 mil per year on youth development per team. Wouldn't be surprised if some of that money went towards operating an USL team

This will continue to grow, however the MLS will get the ROI when younger prospects are under contracts earlier. These USL teams will help facilitate that.
No more will you see academy/young first team players leave for the lack of opportunity.

Shway
11-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Downsview Park is ideal for me. 15 min. drive.

I mean, they have all the facilities available there. All they would need is to put up a couple of no frill bleachers to seat 2000 or so.

Exactly, I would say 5000.

Although downsview is 30-45 mins coming from the east for me, I still consider it that are the heart of the GTA.

Yohan
11-21-2014, 05:22 PM
This will continue to grow, however the MLS will get the ROI when younger prospects are under contracts earlier. These USL teams will help facilitate that.
No more will you see academy/young first team players leave for the lack of opportunity.
yes and no.
a lot of kids (at least in US) are holding off on pro contracts because they don't want to ruin their NCAA eligibility. 40k a year for couple of years is not worth ruining NCAA eligiblity

gdg_9
11-21-2014, 07:11 PM
yes and no.
a lot of kids (at least in US) are holding off on pro contracts because they don't want to ruin their NCAA eligibility. 40k a year for couple of years is not worth ruining NCAA eligiblity

Didn't Galaxy2 work something out so that Academy kids playing in USLPro are still NCAA eligible?

I thought I read that somewhere...

Yohan
11-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Correct. Academy kids don't lose eligibility playing with pros, as long as they don't have pro contracts

JuliquE
11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Didn't Galaxy2 work something out so that Academy kids playing in USLPro are still NCAA eligible?

Correct; signing a contract for TFC2 won't see the player lose NCAA eligibility.

Yohan
11-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Correct; signing a contract for TFC2 won't see the player lose NCAA eligibility.

Yes it would if the kid gets paid

Shway
11-21-2014, 10:51 PM
yes and no.

If you offer an 18 year old a 2-4 year USL contract at 20k-40k. I for sure would not be thinking NCAA.

The main reason why these teams are being created is because the league and teams have realized that college soccer is not doing enough for player development for elite players between 18-23.

The NCAA will stay the same with their 3 month programs but the elite players will more than likely be with an MLS academy and sign USLpro contracts to play/train year long.

The benefit of this is young players will be pros getting paid legit money where they will have the option to pay for their own education. (like alot are doing right now if they don't have full scholarships)

For example, If I'm someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye and TFC is offering me a USLpro contract at 40k... Im signing that contract, continuing my program at York and saying bye to the uni ball.

I could only imagine that this is what would be communicated to the parents.

freshfreshfresh
11-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Could they not just have a player signed to a League 1 contract and loan them to the USL Pro team like they did when Mark Anthony Kaye went on loan to Wilmington?

jazzy
11-22-2014, 09:32 AM
If you offer an 18 year old a 2-4 year USL contract at 20k-40k. I for sure would not be thinking NCAA.

The main reason why these teams are being created is because the league and teams have realized that college soccer is not doing enough for player development for elite players between 18-23.

The NCAA will stay the same with their 3 month programs but the elite players will more than likely be with an MLS academy and sign USLpro contracts to play/train year long.

The benefit of this is young players will be pros getting paid legit money where they will have the option to pay for their own education. (like alot are doing right now if they don't have full scholarships)

For example, If I'm someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye and TFC is offering me a USLpro contract at 40k... Im signing that contract, continuing my program at York and saying bye to the uni ball.

this makes sense and I see as beneficial . Maybe a kid picks a school for his educational opportunities not it's soccer finesse ,....prefect ! The way it should be and MAYBE strengthening our local schools .

sashavukelich
11-22-2014, 09:55 AM

An american NCAA sports scholarship is generally valued between 140-200k, so...that's pretty hard for a lot of kids to pass up.

jazzy
11-22-2014, 10:19 AM
An american NCAA sports scholarship is generally valued between 140-200k, so...that's pretty hard for a lot of kids to pass up.

that is an overrated estimated value , because they are so over-priced and lacking, many of the schools educational programs are nowhere near ours , if my son had soccer opportunities to stay at a respected education facility in Canada and also pursue a soccer carear , however slight , I would definitely favour really sourcing out VALUE for what education you are receiving . US schools are horrible value comparatively speaking to our schools . Which can be much more affordable IF , you are working . In the end it is about talent and carear possibilities though .

Shway
11-22-2014, 10:37 AM

True at the cost. But this is the general "cost" for when your an international student not a student athlete ...kids aren't receving $140-200k nor does it trully cost the school that much for one kid.

So what you are passing up is specifically the atheltic scholarship. There's no monetary value behind it, because schools have a certain amount of "free schooling" to give to select student athletes. (ranges between 7-10 for some schools)

The opportunity to get an education will never disappear. The opportunity to play professional soccer is a small closing window.

ag futbol
11-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Other things to note about the NCAA scholarship: they pull them, frequently. That money is not guaranteed and the "education" you get depending on the sport your playing is basically worthless.

There are stories NFL and NBA players who are basically illiterate who some how made it through four year programs.

sashavukelich
11-22-2014, 02:29 PM
All i know is that my 2 cousins from Serbia, who both had NCAA Div 1 scholarships (one to hawaii, one to Fordham) both had a REALLY hard time turning down lower paying leagues due to the NCAA, because of the value.

Those boys were covered for 1) Housing, 2) Clothes, 3) Food, 4) Medical Insurance, 5) Education, 6) travel

they were SET.

Red CB Toronto
11-22-2014, 04:26 PM
You can play up to five academy players per game in USL Pro, with these kids taking part as amateurs. Mark-Anthony Kaye is playing his university soccer at York, the CIS in Canada has much less strict rules regarding student athletes. Here is an example of how you can use your academy players who still might consider an NCAA scholarship.

http://www.riverhounds.com/home/743710.html

dupont
11-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Would it be possible for them to play at Varsity?

Red CB Toronto
11-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Would it be possible for them to play at Varsity?

They could, but from everything suggested, TFC 2 will like play at the Soccer Centre in Vaughn.

C.Ronaldo
11-24-2014, 10:02 AM
its pretty simple. these players can negotiate to include paid college in their contracts instead of cash.

Each USL team can work with their local universities to work deals out. housing / food, etc.

they can even take just a few credits a year and complete school part time.

deschamp86
11-24-2014, 10:29 AM
I'd like to see USL Pro team offer some trials to the top young players in League1. Would create more buzz for that league which would result in a pool of players that TFC could scout with ease for the USL Pro team.

Get a couple of ex TFCers who performed well in the mix like Lao and Cordon. Possibly even Welshman but I think I would prefer a younger player getting a shot over him.

ironcub14
11-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Here's one recent article that talks about that: http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-bridging-the-development-gap/

"one of those rules changes occurred by way of NCAA bylaws in 2010. Bylaw 12.2.3.2.1 is an exception for pre-collegiate activities with a professional sports club. The important change is that players can now compete on a professional team prior to enrolling in college and maintain eligibility as long as they are not paid a wage for doing so.
12.2.3.2.1 Exception—Competition Before Initial Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment—Sports Other Than Men’s Ice Hockey and Skiing. In sports other than men’s ice hockey and skiing, before initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may compete on a professional team (per Bylaw 12.02.4), provided he or she does not receive more than actual and necessary expenses to participate on the team. (Adopted: 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10; applicable to student-athletes who initially enroll full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/10)

The change in NCAA eligibility guidelines allowed pre-collegiate stand-outs to play in official competitions alongside paid professionals. Academy players, those who haven’t yet enrolled in college, can compete on a professional team alongside full professionals as long as he is not paid. A player can receive travel or meal stipends, or those services in kind, but cannot receive payment for participation or appearances for the team."

Areathrasher
12-12-2014, 09:56 AM
FC London Soccer ‏@FCLondon (https://twitter.com/FCLondon) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/FCLondon/status/543417020919054337)
Did someone just say @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) is placing a team in the Great Lakes Division? Welcome to the best amateur soccer in North America.

ironcub14
12-12-2014, 10:46 AM
FC London Soccer ‏@FCLondon (https://twitter.com/FCLondon) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/FCLondon/status/543417020919054337)
Did someone just say @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) is placing a team in the Great Lakes Division? Welcome to the best amateur soccer in North America.

Sounds like a derby with the Lynx.

Shway
12-14-2014, 11:50 AM

This wouldn't make any sense...as I would think a U-23 team would be the USLpro team. And if they want to play academy players between the ages of 16-18...why not just enter them into the US development academy league where the rest of the leagues academy teams play. It runs from September to May. ..so there would be a little overlap with League 1

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2014, 12:07 PM
This wouldn't make any sense...as I would think a U-23 team would be the USLpro team. And if they want to play academy players between the ages of 16-18...why not just enter them into the US development academy league where the rest of the leagues academy teams play. It runs from September to May. ..so there would be a little overlap with League 1They would want to use a PDL team for their home grown players currently playing NCAA like a Jay Chapman. Academy kids can play in USL Pro and maintain there NCAA eligibility but once they accept a scholarship they can no longer play alongside pro.

Shway
12-15-2014, 01:12 AM
They would want to use a PDL team for their home grown players currently playing NCAA like a Jay Chapman. Academy kids can play in USL Pro and maintain there NCAA eligibility but once they accept a scholarship they can no longer play alongside pro.

I believe you have this part wrong.IIRC there was a rule that was passed I think 2 years ago that allows academy players to play alongside pros. The difference is that they will lose their NCAA eligibility once they are paid.

....actually I just remembered that this is so because remember when Alando Matheson played in the voyageurs cup, and I think a few other academy players. Well he's at UCONN and didn't and he's been playing...we'll sorta

Red CB Toronto
12-15-2014, 01:42 AM
I believe you have this part wrong.IIRC there was a rule that was passed I think 2 years ago that allows academy players to play alongside pros. The difference is that they will lose their NCAA eligibility once they are paid.

....actually I just remembered that this is so because remember when Alando Matheson played in the voyageurs cup, and I think a few other academy players. Well he's at UCONN and didn't and he's been playing...we'll sorta

Academy kids can play USL Pro, In the past MLS reserve league but as stated above once you are on a NCAA program you can no longer as long as you want to remain compliant. That is why the. PDL exists as a college summer league. The NCAA has provisions for soccer players to trial though.

Red CB Toronto
12-15-2014, 11:07 AM
For those interested in the divisional and schedule format for USL Pro in 2015. The 24 team league will be broken into two conferences, east and west. The teams will play pretty much their entire schedule within their conference minus a possible a couple games.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/uslpro-2015-conference-alignment-scheduling-format/

Initial B
12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
For those interested in the divisional and schedule format for USL Pro in 2015. The 24 team league will be broken into two conferences, east and west. The teams will play pretty much their entire schedule within their conference minus a possible a couple games.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/uslpro-2015-conference-alignment-scheduling-format/
Never mind that - look at the link embedded in that one:

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-to-apply-for-division-2-status-with-ussf/

It looks like MLS and USL PRO are abandoning all pretense of getting along with NASL and put them out of Business ASAP.

Fort York Redcoat
12-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Never mind that - look at the link embedded in that one:

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-to-apply-for-division-2-status-with-ussf/

It looks like MLS and USL PRO are abandoning all pretense of getting along with NASL and put them out of Business ASAP.

With 85% criteria already met - Except what the bankrolls of those teams are. That is no easy fix. They need to find the money to be at the table. Does anyone think this makes the "pyramid" more stable? Seems petty with a lot more to lose than gain.

Red CB Toronto
12-15-2014, 03:39 PM
With 85% criteria already met - Except what the bankrolls of those teams are. That is no easy fix. They need to find the money to be at the table. Does anyone think this makes the "pyramid" more stable? Seems petty with a lot more to lose than gain.

I agree, in my mind with the partnership USL Pro has with MLS, especially with having reserve teams and affiliates in it, I am not too sure if the D2 level is the right place for this type of endeavour. To me D2 in the US and Canada is a stand alone situation, not a quasi reserve league.

Initial B
12-15-2014, 04:52 PM
To me, this looks like collusion between two leagues to put another out of business. I think there is a major legal fight coming up if they go through with this.

Fort York Redcoat
12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
To me, this looks like collusion between two leagues to put another out of business. I think there is a major legal fight coming up if they go through with this.

This absolutely should not happen and I'd like to see NASL come out publicly saying how much they want to be an official partner with MLS just to put to bed any lies that are sure to surface about the leagues intentions in the near future. If USL weren't holding back those teams that left to form NASL then USL would already be considered D2.

I want to see as many comments as possible on the difference of skill level and product between USL and and NASL as possible.

The fact that NASL exists is a testament to those involved trying to improve the game. I don't want to see them punished for their taking that risk.

Initial B
12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
This absolutely should not happen and I'd like to see NASL come out publicly saying how much they want to be an official partner with MLS just to put to bed any lies that are sure to surface about the leagues intentions in the near future.
But the truth is that neither side really wants to work with the other. NASL doesn't agree with MLS's single entity model and there is still a lot of acrimony from the initial formation of USL PRO and NASL. The next 5 years are going to be really bumpy.

portu
12-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Will all the USL sides be taking part in ACC or no?
It'd be interesting to see TFC play TFC2 if it came to that, also squad rotation could be extremely limited for all the MLS sides.

TFC07
12-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Will all the USL sides be taking part in ACC or no?
It'd be interesting to see TFC play TFC2 if it came to that, also squad rotation could be extremely limited for all the MLS sides.

No.

Only teams in MLS and NASL play in ACC for now. In the long term, regional teams (League one in Ontario) might have a chance to play in ACC, but I highly doubt TFC2 or TFCA will be allowed to participate in ACC.

Also remember that USL Pro (league itself) isn't sanction by CSA and they don't have any plans to change that.

portu
12-29-2014, 07:28 AM
No.

Only teams in MLS and NASL play in ACC for now. In the long term, regional teams (League one in Ontario) might have a chance to play in ACC, but I highly doubt TFC2 or TFCA will be allowed to participate in ACC.

Also remember that USL Pro (league itself) isn't sanction by CSA and they don't have any plans to change that.
thats a shame
it would have been nice to have more depth to the competition

Yohan
12-31-2014, 01:09 PM
http://uslsoccer.com/home/854134.html

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/GFUB4YT_0Lud_eo1uk-YGdxTRJs=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2889472/USLPRO_2015_map.0.png

flamehawk
01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Larson tweeted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpegKurtis LarsonVerified account‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)

TFC expects to sign 10-16 players directly to USL contracts for TFC II ... 4-6 senior players will see time ... Another 4-6 from academy.

I asked:

Edward Hon-Sing Wong ‏@edwardhswong (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong) 25m25 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/550852852575260672)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Does that mean 4-6 senior players 'on loan'? and the rest on USL contracts (combo of academy and players like Wiederman)?

He responded:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/550857319378980864)
@edwardhswong (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong) Yes. "On loan"... Around a half-dozen senior TFC players will likely suit up for TFC II during the season.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 7m7 minutes ago
@edwardhswong TFC Academy players won't need to be signed to USL contracts.

I am really excited to see what the TFC 2 squad will look like.

Fort York Redcoat
01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
TFC vs Rochester Rhinos.

Road. Trip.

Pint
01-02-2015, 03:10 PM
TFC vs Rochester Rhinos.

Road. Trip.

Drove by "Highmark" stadium in pittsburgh this morning.... looked like it needed some TFC love as well.

WestStandGeoff
01-02-2015, 03:54 PM
TFC vs Rochester Rhinos.

Road. Trip.

Too bad that ferry service stopped a few years ago. Would have been a sweet booze cruise!

SoccMan2
01-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Rochester's Rhinos home stadium http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000xzh3T8gUe_c/s/750/750/WPSAF052211119.jpg

ironcub14
01-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Larson tweeted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpegKurtis LarsonVerified account‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)

TFC expects to sign 10-16 players directly to USL contracts for TFC II ... 4-6 senior players will see time ... Another 4-6 from academy.

I asked:

Edward Hon-Sing Wong ‏@edwardhswong (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong) 25m25 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/550852852575260672)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Does that mean 4-6 senior players 'on loan'? and the rest on USL contracts (combo of academy and players like Wiederman)?

He responded:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/550857319378980864)
@edwardhswong (https://twitter.com/edwardhswong) Yes. "On loan"... Around a half-dozen senior TFC players will likely suit up for TFC II during the season.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 7m7 minutes ago
@edwardhswong TFC Academy players won't need to be signed to USL contracts.

I am really excited to see what the TFC 2 squad will look like.

Big thanks for the info.

OgtheDim
01-19-2015, 03:35 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 9s10 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/557273990281314304) #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) to have press conference on Weds about USL-Pro side where they will announce team will play at new stadium being built in Vaughan.

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 9s10 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/557273990281314304) #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) to have press conference on Weds about USL-Pro side where they will announce team will play at new stadium being built in Vaughan.

Smart move. It's close to home for me, and there are tons of TFC supporters north of the city. I'll definitely take my boys to watch TFC prospects develop, and I'm sure the pricing will be appropriate.

Shway
01-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Smart move. It's close to home for me, and there are tons of TFC supporters north of the city. I'll definitely take my boys to watch TFC prospects develop, and I'm sure the pricing will be appropriate.

Tooo far for the massive support in the east though.

Downsview was perfect. Hopefully thats the future plan.

Abou Sky
01-19-2015, 07:40 PM

Where are you coming from that Downsview is better? I live at Pape & Dundas and Vaughan is easier to get to than Downsview most days.

I don't drink much lately so I would be there with kids too.

It would be awesome if they left one side as a grassy Hill for general admission /picnic style lazing about.

Areathrasher
01-19-2015, 08:20 PM
What's the new stadium in Vaughan?

Prof
01-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Agree. Downsview has subway

Shway
01-20-2015, 01:17 AM
Where are you coming from that Downsview is better? I live at Pape & Dundas and Vaughan is easier to get to than Downsview most days.

I don't drink much lately so I would be there with kids too.

It would be awesome if they left one side as a grassy Hill for general admission /picnic style lazing about.

Ajax... The soccer center is another 15-20 mins depending on traffic. Or you have the option to take the $407$.

I know I'm assuming, but I have seen a lot of Tfc wearing fans out here.

Red CB Toronto
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Team be will called Toronto FC 2 as per a newly posted story by John on Sports Net.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/usl-pro-mls-toronto-fc-tfc-tfcii-major-league-soccer-toronto-fc/

Shway
01-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Great news.... Was hoping they didnt call it something different

Macksam
01-20-2015, 08:24 PM
How do you mean? USL Pro choose this path and decided to be a league that develops players for MLS.

This absolutely should not happen and I'd like to see NASL come out publicly saying how much they want to be an official partner with MLS just to put to bed any lies that are sure to surface about the leagues intentions in the near future.
The NASL does not want to partner with MLS and for good reason. We need competition.

mistercorporate
01-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I wonder why they don't just play from the new York University stadium, willing to bet it'll be empty half the year, yet have access to tens of thousands of potential new fans at that university! There's no pan-university sports culture up there and it's quite a diverse campus with lots of Mediterranean people, massive potential for TFC.

Red CB Toronto
01-20-2015, 11:21 PM
I wonder why they don't just play from the new York University stadium, willing to bet it'll be empty half the year, yet have access to tens of thousands of potential new fans at that university! There's no pan-university sports culture up there and it's quite a diverse campus with lots of Mediterranean people, massive potential for TFC.
Assume it has to do with the fact York is a turf field as it U of T.

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
The NASL does not want to partner with MLS and for good reason. We need competition.

Competition for players? To choose a lower level than the highest level?

Competition for the sports/footy market? IF you want to call that competition, feel free but at best it will be an alternative for the few (single thousands) that live closer and want to save money.

zeelaw
01-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Think they'll sell booze at this new stadium?

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Think they'll sell booze at this new stadium?

I think it will be geared to families. Families have parental units that like to enjoy a bevvy or 2, right?

I'd say so. More importantly, will it be a chunk of concrete that's fire proof?

Walms
01-21-2015, 10:30 AM
I think it will be geared to families. Families have parental units that like to enjoy a bevvy or 2, right?

:flare::hump:

zeelaw
01-21-2015, 10:46 AM

lol

Have plans or mockups of the stadium even been announced yet?

EDIT - Just announced ... https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII/status/557931048655671296

PopePouri
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
New crest.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/557927758916255744/photo/1

mowe
01-21-2015, 11:49 AM
www.TFC2.ca

Love everything about this. Will be great for getting minutes for all those players who fell through the cracks.

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
I like it.

Mark TFC
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
lol

Have plans or mockups of the stadium even been announced yet?

EDIT - Just announced ... https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII/status/557931048655671296

Let me be the first to say... what the hell is up with the blue stands?!

sidvan
01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Let me be the first to say... what the hell is up with the blue stands?! OSA colours.

ironcub14
01-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Been wishing for a proper reserve team for TFC in the N American pyramid for awhile, it's a good day!

My one small complaint is the prices, I think they should have made it free for TFC season ticket holders, like how the Galaxy did last year, I think.

Walms
01-21-2015, 01:03 PM
vary excited about this! will do wonders for getting our boys developing minuets

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Been wishing for a proper reserve team for TFC in the N American pyramid for awhile, it's a good day!

My one small complaint is the prices, I think they should have made it free for TFC season ticket holders, like how the Galaxy did last year, I think.

Oh hi!

Like I've said elsewhere I think it has to do with the venue. LA uses there own venue while TFC2 will be using the OSA's stadium.

TFC07
01-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Season tickets is $96 (general admission), but 12 games though.

The other MLS USL Pro teams don't charge money for tickets except TFC. Umm this is interesting.

Red CB Toronto
01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Season tickets is $96 (general admission), but 12 games though.

The other MLS USL Pro teams don't charge money for tickets except TFC. Umm this is interesting.

LA, Vancouver, Portland, Vancouver and Seattle are selling season tickets. Seattle has even gone as far as 20% of the team will be supporter owned.

I know Montreal is going to be free playing out of Saputo. Not sure about Salt Lake or New York.

Shway
01-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Conference Alignments announced:
here's the full link to the play-off format as well (http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/857836.html)

2015 USL PRO Alignment

Eastern Conference

Charleston Battery
Charlotte Independence
FC Montreal
Harrisburg City Islanders
Louisville City FC
*New York Red Bulls
Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Richmond Kickers
Rochester Rhinos
Saint Louis FC
Toronto FC II
Wilmington Hammerheads FC

Western Conference

Arizona United SC
Austin Aztex
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
LA Galaxy II
OKC Energy FC
Orange County Blues FC
Portland Timbers 2
Real Monarchs SLC
Sacramento Republic FC
Seattle Sounders FC 2
Tulsa Roughnecks FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2

PopePouri
01-21-2015, 03:27 PM
The Red Bull team will be called Toro Rosso FC.

Macksam
01-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Competition for players? To choose a lower level than the highest level?

Competition for the sports/footy market? IF you want to call that competition, feel free but at best it will be an alternative for the few (single thousands) that live closer and want to save money.

A lot of these questions will be answered in the coming years when things pan out. The Cosmos play a huge role in this.

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2015, 01:22 PM
A lot of these questions will be answered in the coming years when things pan out. The Cosmos play a huge role in this.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1GBI4/keep-it-secret-keep-it-safe/image.png

Well, until then, it's no competition. But hang in there!

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2015, 02:55 PM
anyone in league one going to be using that stadium?

Cashcleaner
01-26-2015, 06:21 PM
So a friend of mine is a ...*sigh* Impact fan.

Ugh.

But anyway, we were talking about how good a move it was for all three Canadian MLS clubs to own and operate their own USL Pro affiliate teams. Seems like a win-win scenario for the clubs, players in development, and the fans. But that said, we're both wondering if it would have been more advantageous to maybe spread things around a bit and locate the USL Pro clubs out in areas that may be under-serviced by the sport at the moment. He's adamant that FC Montreal should have went to Quebec City and put forward a pretty compelling argument for that. Obviously, these teams want to stay relatively close to their MLS affliates for obvious reasons of logistics, but Quebec City is a little over 2 hours from downtown Montreal. In the case of Toronto, there's always Hamilton close by. Sure the city did have a club in the PDL for a few years before they moved out to Waterloo, but I think a proper USL Pro club that's anchored to TFC could do much better. I wonder if there were any thought to perhaps locating TFC II there?

RealG-TFC
01-27-2015, 12:24 PM
I'd imagine that the rumors of Quebec City and Hamilton getting NASL teams would be factored into locating any affiliate team there. Hopefully that does happen because I think those cities are large enough to have their own dedicated clubs. Would make for a heck of a Canada Cup too.

Initial B
01-27-2015, 01:33 PM
A Hamilton NASL team might be run by the Tiger-Cat organization. Perhaps a Quebec City NASL team would be run byt the Alouettes? The PEPS stadium there seats almost 13K, which is just about the perfect size for a Div2 team.

Fort York Redcoat
01-27-2015, 02:07 PM
So a friend of mine is a ...*sigh* Impact fan.

Ugh.

But anyway, we were talking about how good a move it was for all three Canadian MLS clubs to own and operate their own USL Pro affiliate teams. Seems like a win-win scenario for the clubs, players in development, and the fans. But that said, we're both wondering if it would have been more advantageous to maybe spread things around a bit and locate the USL Pro clubs out in areas that may be under-serviced by the sport at the moment. He's adamant that FC Montreal should have went to Quebec City and put forward a pretty compelling argument for that. Obviously, these teams want to stay relatively close to their MLS affliates for obvious reasons of logistics, but Quebec City is a little over 2 hours from downtown Montreal. In the case of Toronto, there's always Hamilton close by. Sure the city did have a club in the PDL for a few years before they moved out to Waterloo, but I think a proper USL Pro club that's anchored to TFC could do much better. I wonder if there were any thought to perhaps locating TFC II there?

What it looks like is that when Hamilton was thinking NASL Toronto went to Vaughan to place their USL team. With the OSA stadium there it now has a major team in it. Good for everyone involved. I hope the NASL team in Hamilton at Tim Horton's field is still a go. After all the Pan-Am games will be there so people will see plenty of the sport there this summer.

Shway
01-27-2015, 02:10 PM
^^^^

And that's why I like that the MLS teams put these USL pro teams in close proximity to the first team. Putting farm or develop teams in other major cities (i.e. Quebec City, Hamilton) will hinder the growth of the sport in this country. I would rather 8 professional Canadian teams that are owned by different owners, rather than 3 or 4.

Abou Sky
01-27-2015, 02:11 PM
I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation of too many leagues competing and they all fail.

I don't think that is what will happen, but it could... :(

Cashcleaner
01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
^^^^

And that's why I like that the MLS teams put these USL pro teams in close proximity to the first team. Putting farm or develop teams in other major cities (i.e. Quebec City, Hamilton) will hinder the growth of the sport in this country. I would rather 8 professional Canadian teams that are owned by different owners, rather than 3 or 4.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation of too many leagues competing and they all fail.

I don't think that is what will happen, but it could... :(

I'm all for spreading teams around and bringing clubs to areas that are under-serviced (like the cities I mentioned in my initital post), but like Sky brings up, I'm also mindful that we could dilute the talent pool and thin out fan interest if we go too far. I don't know how many clubs could theoretically be successful here in Canada, but I do know we've got 3 MLS clubs, 2 NASL clubs, and now another 3 USL Pro teams affiliated with the previously mentioned MLS clubs already. And on top of that, we've got 8 Canadian clubs playing in the USL's PDL and a few of them certainly want to break out into something more senior.

I may be completely wrong here, but wasn't there a plan tossed around by a few CFL owners to create a Canadian branch of the NASL?

Initial B
01-27-2015, 04:18 PM
^ Yeah, I thought so too. I'm wondering if the CFL owners are waiting to see what the attendance is like for the Women's World Cup (or Pan-Am games in Hamilton's case) at their venues to see what the local demand for soccer is like before deciding whenther they want to have a go at NASL.

Red CB Toronto
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
USL Pro schedule for the 2015 season is being released on Monday, each team's home opener is being released on Saturday.

Walms
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
USL Pro schedule for the 2015 season is being released on Monday, each team's home opener is being released on Saturday.

Thanks, ill keep my eyes open

Macksam
01-31-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm all for spreading teams around and bringing clubs to areas that are under-serviced (like the cities I mentioned in my initital post), but like Sky brings up, I'm also mindful that we could dilute the talent pool and thin out fan interest if we go too far.

Dilute the talent pool? Sure. Thin out interest? Yeah...if we keep putting teams in the same market. However, adding teams in other Canadian cities like Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Calgary will only increase interest. With regards to USL pro, I think it's smart business to put them in the same market as their parent clubs. The other cities I mentioned deserve their own independent NASL clubs.

Cashcleaner
01-31-2015, 10:07 PM
^ Well yeah, that was what my initial post was about. Instead of keeping the Impact's team in Montreal, The Whitecap's in Vancouver, and TFC 2 in Toronto we could instead put them in other cities to grow interest outside of the major cities. But if those other cities are interested in getting their own independent teams as you mentioned, than that's definitely the best option to go about growing the sport.

Initial B
02-01-2015, 12:38 AM
The problem is, the USSF only allows NASL to have 25% of their teams from outside the US. Only one more Canadian team could be added at this point (I'm thinking Hamilton). They'll need another 3 US-based teams before they'll add a 4th canadian club. But then we would have reached the magic number of 7 Professional Teams. According to the Easton Report, a country needs at least a professional league with 7 teams in order to generate enough new players to replace losses as older players retire. More than 7 is nice, but it apparently produces diminishing returns to the talent pool. So 3 MLS and 4 NASL teams would generate a critical mass to improve the player pool? I guess we'll find out in 10 years.

I think ideally 3 MLS teams and their USLP farm teams, 6 NASL teams, and 5 regional semi-Pro Leagues (L1O, Quebec, BC, Alberta/Praries, Maritimes) would produce enough players that we could easily be a FIFA top-50 National Team within 12 years. So long as our coaching infrastructure is brought up to speed, the CSA is streamlined and made effective, and Districts don't dictate to their Federations...

Fort York Redcoat
02-02-2015, 10:03 AM
^ Well yeah, that was what my initial post was about. Instead of keeping the Impact's team in Montreal, The Whitecap's in Vancouver, and TFC 2 in Toronto we could instead put them in other cities to grow interest outside of the major cities. But if those other cities are interested in getting their own independent teams as you mentioned, than that's definitely the best option to go about growing the sport.

I would be very surprised indeed if there were many who identified Vaughan, the home TFC2 as Toronto. Until June when the OSA stadium is finished I'll grant you the Twonies (toonies?) will be at home at BMO but that will be only temporary.

flamehawk
02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Well, we have two confirmed TFC 2 players now:

Mark-Anthony Kaye @MarkThEwizz (https://twitter.com/MarkThEwizz) · 5h5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/MarkThEwizz/status/564108752203546625)

Medicals done, on to the next week of pre-season. #TFCII (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCII?src=hash)

Martin Davis @_MartinDavis (https://twitter.com/_MartinDavis) · 6h6 hours ago (https://twitter.com/_MartinDavis/status/564094565657759745)

Medicals at @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) nice week with the USL so far https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f64f.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f446.png

Yohan
02-10-2015, 09:53 AM
http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=209874501&SPLASH_SET=YES

USL is applying for D2 status

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2015, 10:03 AM
http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=209874501&SPLASH_SET=YES

USL is applying for D2 status

to USSF.

So technically Canadian NASL teams are out of the conversation but not the consequences...eek.

Initial B
02-10-2015, 12:45 PM
There are too many egos in the USL executive to abide being a Div 3 league, nevermind what's best for soccer development. Their animousity towards NASL is palpable. USSL should force USL teams who want to go to Div 2 to join NASL, or have NASL and Div 2 USL teams compete in a combined Div 2 format with a conference for teams from each league.

JuliquE
02-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Someone pulling a fast one and putting the Toronto FC into USL ranks, in place of TFC II? xD

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/0/MA/MAWBVFPHKCSVLZH.20150204011428.png

Shway
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Someone pulling a fast one and putting the Toronto FC into USL ranks, in place of TFC II? xD

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/0/MA/MAWBVFPHKCSVLZH.20150204011428.png

The logo, crest, badge or whatever is stupid.

Yohan
02-13-2015, 12:44 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Tim-Holt-explains-the-USLs-decision-to-seek-Division-2-sanctioning.html

Good interview with USL president Tim Holt on moving up to D2 status

Yohan
02-13-2015, 11:25 AM
http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015/2/10/8016049/ryo-fujii-signs-with-galaxy-ii-on-a-game-changing-contract

TFC should do this with their kids too

Macksam
02-15-2015, 01:34 PM
http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015/2/10/8016049/ryo-fujii-signs-with-galaxy-ii-on-a-game-changing-contract

Yeah, it's better they sign them full time and let them go to University locally part time than sending them to the NCAA....

Kaz
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM

The should for sure. MLSE should partner with York which will be directly connected to Downsview via subway in the next year or two, and should provide Academic resources.