PDA

View Full Version : TFC Equipment manager appreciation thread

Leedsoronto
11-19-2014, 01:43 PM
TFC fired the equipment manager Malcolm Philips yesterday. I guess they felt he was the reason for their failure to reach the playoffs this past season.

I liked the grey kit best, red was good for home games.

We will no dobt see him do better like everyone else does, maybe NASA kit guy job next :@)

TOBOR !
11-19-2014, 02:16 PM
The lads always tended to look smart out there on the pitch, with the exception of perhaps Carlos Ruiz, but he wasn't around long.

I didn't notice a lot of time spent on tying and retying of laces during games, which must be strictly down to some kind of revolutionary lace management system.

Maybe Vanney got rid of him so he can bring in his own guy ?

Joe Kool
11-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Equipment manager appreciation thread....too funny. Must be the offseason. I heard a couple guest services people and at least one security guard may not be back. Can we merge it with this thread or start another?

lintberg
11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Malcolm is a great guy, attended some of the team pub nights (back when they had team pub nights) always had a fun story or two to share. Class guy all the way!
Good luck & all the best Malcolm!

Leedsoronto
11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Hopefully he will get to see his team Southampton play for the remainder of the season

Good luck Malcolm

Jeffro
11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Very sad to hear this, Malcolm is a great guy and friend of mine since the early days of TFC. Haven't seen him in a while since I live in BC now, but he hooked me up with tickets to the Voyageurs Cup game in Vancouver last time I saw him. Class act without a doubt.

T-boy
11-19-2014, 04:47 PM
The tea lady is next!

inheavensince07
11-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Might actually be the last link .. No actually they need to dump all the physio/ medic dudes to clear the system from day 1 . Funny Malcolm story .. Year one on end of season LA road game I was staying in same hotel as team .. We crank called Malcolm and said it was the front desk .. My buddy said "this is Malcolm Phillips correct?" Yes this is .. Well sir their is two black hookers in the lobby that your ordered ?? .. Then he says allright Mr Phillips I willl send them right up .. lol He was screamming in phone when we hung up saying they are not his .. Gooood times .. Malcolm is a solid english mofo ...

jabbronies
11-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Not once did I see one of our starters in the wrong kit. They all matched up at kick off.

I do question some of the boot colours I've been seeing on the pitch, although you can't put 100% of blame on him for that, the players have to take some responsibility for that fuck up.

I know some people who knew him. Said he was a nice guy. Hope he finds a new gig

ensco
11-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Will there be a change in the sock policy now?

inheavensince07
11-22-2014, 02:08 PM
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/malcolm-phillips-with-team-since-day-1-departs-toronto-fc-1.2109239

Shameful the club can't even be honest .. I just spoke with Malcolm and I quote " the club said that when they hired new coaches with 10 games left and in 3rd place the staff had to step it up to the next level and push for the playoffs" They told him he did not do that and he was fired outright .. Basically out of left field in his eyes ..

Another classy move by a club steeped in tradition of doing this type of thing.. TFC til I die lol... That's what type of team this is folks ..

Leedsoronto
11-22-2014, 07:44 PM
How has the kit man got anything to do with how the players play and get to the playoffs?

Very Odd !!

Oldtimer
11-22-2014, 08:38 PM
There has to be a lot more to the story.

JuliquE
11-22-2014, 09:22 PM
There has to be a lot more to the story.
Exactly.

I mean, it could have been as simple as them having had a chat with him about making the players too comfortable, maybe, when they weren't deserving, or when they were wanting to see a bit more desire out of the players, and the kit-man was too set in his ways/routine to change anything.. underlining perhaps not the main problem with the culture (not enough buy-in), but a problem, all the same.

That bit to come out reads like sour grapes, because, on the surface, that makes NO sense, at all.

As you say, there's got to be plenty more, here.

inheavensince07
11-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Exactly.

I mean, it could have been as simple as them having had a chat with him about making the players too comfortable, maybe, when they weren't deserving, or when they were wanting to see a bit more desire out of the players, and the kit-man was too set in his ways/routine to change anything.. underlining perhaps not the main problem with the culture (not enough buy-in), but a problem, all the same.

That bit to come out reads like sour grapes, because, on the surface, that makes NO sense, at all.

As you say, there's got to be plenty more, here.

yes there is always plenty more.. IMO your explanation is insane .. They fired him probobly because that little numb nuts useless GM wanted his buddy in or something along those lines /..

I get having fun at TFC games with buddies and bringing kids etc But the bottom line for me is this team does not deserve its fans . The organization stinks to high heaven and always has .. The root of this cancer is in front office / fact !!!

OgtheDim
11-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Nobody knows why this termination happened (the sort of thing which happens all the time in this city)

That's as it should be.

Good labour practice would preclude the employer from indicating

the reasons for the termination
the financial terms of the severance
how the severance happened

Everything else is speculation - and as per usual during the silly season, people are speculating based on their own TFC narratives.

JuliquE
11-23-2014, 09:14 AM
yes there is always plenty more.. IMO your explanation is insane .. They fired him probobly because that little numb nuts useless GM wanted his buddy in or something along those lines /..

I get having fun at TFC games with buddies and bringing kids etc But the bottom line for me is this team does not deserve its fans . The organization stinks to high heaven and always has .. The root of this cancer is in front office / fact !!!
You're right; I just forgot to take me pills.

I'm sure this is just down to numb nuts, and wanting to hook your friend up with a kit-man gig—insane of me to have a different take, hypothetically or not.

Look.. if it's one thing we've seen from Vanney, it's that he's extremely detail oriented. Is it really that far-fetched to imagine that he might have had one or two ideas about the finer points of caring for the players, involving the kit-man, where he maybe got a feeling like his approach was being undermined/not taken seriously? You have only to look at all the responses here, as an example of how easy it is to say "ridiculous—just give them their socks and boots, etc. and get on with it," showing a contempt for anyone daring to think there might be something of an opportunity there, in terms of setting the tone.

People always talk about how important the kit-man is, and I don't think it's because he just robotically does his job; more important is his attitude and impression on/interactions with the lockeroom—that's pretty intimate, and about as close to the root of things as maybe you can get, if not the most significant factor (butterfly effect). He might not have been a bad guy, but, maybe with all the new technological things Vanney is looking to implement, his old school approach wasn't cutting it, and it was causing a bit of friction. This could lead to the odd little joke or snicker about "the new guy," and is not what you need, trying to shift the mentality towards every little thing counting, accumulatively, when it comes to viewing yourself as winners.

Again, I'm just throwing some very quickly thought-up examples of what it could have been.. so, no need to look for holes to justify your own theory—all we can do is speculate, really. It's often the simplest explanation, but there's always an exception to every rule.

JuliquE
11-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Nobody knows why this termination happened (the sort of thing which happens all the time in this city)

That's as it should be.

Good labour practice would preclude the employer from indicating

the reasons for the termination
the financial terms of the severance
how the severance happened

Everything else is speculation - and as per usual during the silly season, people are speculating based on their own TFC narratives.
You would think it's rocket-science, this.

inheavensince07
11-23-2014, 09:42 AM
You're right; I just forgot to take me pills.

I'm sure this is just down to numb nuts, and wanting to hook your friend up with a kit-man gig—insane of me to have a different take, hypothetically or not.

Look.. if it's one thing we've seen from Vanney, it's that he's extremely detail oriented. Is it really that far-fetched to imagine that he might have had one or two ideas about the finer points of caring for the players, involving the kit-man, where he maybe got a feeling like his approach was being undermined/not taken seriously? You have only to look at all the responses here, as an example of how easy it is to say "ridiculous—just give them their socks and boots, etc. and get on with it," showing a contempt for anyone daring to think there might be something of an opportunity there, in terms of setting the tone.

People always talk about how important the kit-man is, and I don't think it's because he just robotically does his job; more important is his attitude and impression on/interactions with the lockeroom—that's pretty intimate, and about as close to the root of things as maybe you can get, if not the most significant factor (butterfly effect). He might not have been a bad guy, but, maybe with all the new technological things Vanney is looking to implement, his old school approach wasn't cutting it, and it was causing a bit of friction. This could lead to the odd little joke or snicker about "the new guy," and is not what you need, trying to shift the mentality towards every little thing counting, accumulatively, when it comes to viewing yourself as winners.

Again, I'm just throwing some very quickly thought-up examples of what it could have been.. so, no need to look for holes to justify your own theory—all we can do is speculate, really. It's often the simplest explanation, but there's always an exception to every rule.

You make very good points and in fact could almost convince me .. The fact is history is usually the best indicator of what happened .. The teams history is not exactly riddled with justified decisions .. Just one last note , Vanney maybe detailed oriented etc but whatever he is or was doing took a playoff team out of playoffs and he being the captain sunk the ship all the way to the bottom of lake ontario..

inheavensince07
11-23-2014, 10:15 AM
You make very good points and in fact could almost convince me .. The fact is history is usually the best indicator of what happened .. The teams history is not exactly riddled with justified decisions .. Just one last note , Vanney maybe detailed oriented etc but whatever he is or was doing took a playoff team out of playoffs and he being the captain sunk the ship all the way to the bottom of lake ontario..

Just one last thing .. I do apologize for saying you must be insane .. It is insane to say that .. I would rather say you were being misguided .. I am sorry for the wordage sincerely .. Cheers

TOBOR !
11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Malcolm signed the picture I took of him, and once when I saw him on the street he waved 'hello'.

Auzzy
11-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Didn't Malcolm get red-carded one game? Or was it the physio guy? Either would be legendary.

Phil
11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Great guy who did more for supporters than lots of people know. Its a shame he was let go.

GabrielHurl
12-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Well - he wasn't out of work for long - he'll be enjoying the weather in Tampa from now on

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Well - he wasn't out of work for long - he'll be enjoying the weather in Tampa from now on

Got hooked up with TR.

TFC07
12-12-2014, 11:48 AM

That's great to hear!

So who's new equipment manager for TFC? Is it another Yank connection with Chivas?