PDA

View Full Version : NASL player of the week

dutch
11-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Interesting

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/soccer/former-toronto-fc-defender-adrian-cann-wins-nasl-weekly-player-honours-281365121.html?path=/sports/soccer&id=281365121&sortBy=rank

TFC07
11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Cann is still playing?

jloome
11-11-2014, 02:50 AM
Cann is still playing?

He was San Antonio's captain this season; people forget he averaged something like seven headed clearances a game for us before he was let go; he was very good in the air. Lacked aggression in the challenge but he was good in the air.

flamehawk
11-11-2014, 09:51 AM
He was San Antonio's captain this season; people forget he averaged something like seven headed clearances a game for us before he was let go; he was very good in the air. Lacked aggression in the challenge but he was good in the air.

I know a lot here don't rate him, but I really do think he did a good job for us and had mixed feelings when we let him go. Another one of the players I looked fondly on.

jloome
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
I know a lot here don't rate him, but I really do think he did a good job for us and had mixed feelings when we let him go. Another one of the players I looked fondly on.

I'm not comparing him to Gonzalez, who is a much better marker and tackler; but I will say that most of the successful defences in this league (Collin/Besler; Gonzalez/Delagarza; Marshall/Scott in Seattle) have one guy who wins the aerial battles, one guy who's better at the ground game. Marshall is so effective because he's best in the air in the league due to positioning and read; Collin is effective because he tracks back well and jumps well; his tackling is often sloppy and dangerous.

That's why Cann and Attakora clicked together. Nana's a thoroughly underrated marker and tackler, with great cover speed, while Cann literally won six or seven headers per game.

Mark in Ottawa
11-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Cann is still playing?
You might be surprised looking around the NASL rosters. There are a lot of familiar names to MLS fans in general and TFC fans in particular.
Here in Ottawa we had Tom Heinemann (formerly of Columbus and Vancouver) as well as Sinisa Ubiparopovic (formerly of Montreal and NYRB) playing for us this past season.

The New York Cosmos had a few former TFC players ... Hunter Freeman, Joseph Nane and at seasons start Peri Marosevic.