PDA

View Full Version : Doneil Henry appreciation thread

Wince
11-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I haven't seen one of these started for Doneil, so I'll kick things off...

So long and best of luck in Europe. You are from Toronto. You learned the game in Toronto. You are truly a product of TO. Despite some frustrating moments involving red cards, this is how I will always remember you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTNQK2VxUY

FRANKIE65
11-05-2014, 09:34 AM

So long and best of luck in Europe. You are from Toronto. You learned the game in Toronto. You are truly a product of TO. Despite some frustrating moments involving red cards, this is how I will always remember you.

Nicely said, and, one of my favorite moments of the home games I attended this year!

OfficeGuy
11-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Truly the way we should remember him as a man in red - all heart for sure - I hope he keeps developing a becomes a great defender

-->altho, in that LB position, I feel he is strongest

C.Ronaldo
11-05-2014, 10:05 AM
is it really europe though?
great beaches though

Areathrasher
11-05-2014, 10:11 AM
is it really europe though?
great beaches though

Yes, by every definition Cyprus is a European Country. So yes, it is really Eurpoe.

Kurt Larson was banging this drum too, I don't get it.

C.Ronaldo
11-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes, by every definition Cyprus is a European Country. So yes, it is really Eurpoe.

Kurt Larson was banging this drum too, I don't get it.

I was being sarcastic.

Its probably because its not land locked and hadnt joined the EU until recently

Areathrasher
11-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I was being sarcastic.

Its probably because its not land locked and hadnt joined the EU until recently

Neither are Ireland or the UK but you wouldn't say that about them.

No worries, Larson kept saying the same thing on twitter and it really wound me up hence the reply here :lol:

Yohan
11-05-2014, 10:24 AM
this thread is going to be really awkward if Henry returns for 2015 season ;)

Shway
11-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Definitely, especially since nothing has been finalized lol

C.Ronaldo
11-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Neither are Ireland or the UK but you wouldn't say that about them.

No worries, Larson kept saying the same thing on twitter and it really wound me up hence the reply here :lol:

If you sit down some older gen's, Im sure you would have some interesting shouting matches about what EU boundaries are. In fact I know my uncles were taught some odd boundaries about the eastern and southern sides of europe

ManUtd4ever
11-05-2014, 10:39 AM
The level of play in MLS would be far more beneficial for Henry as far as his development is concerned. I hope he returns next season.

Ajax TFC
11-05-2014, 11:37 AM
You mean we can't appreciate a current player? :thumbsup:

JuliquE
11-05-2014, 01:33 PM
You mean we can't appreciate a current player? :thumbsup:
Right? A player who's owned by another team, and sure to be leaving in the relatively short term, if not sooner.

The OP put it best.

Thanks for the memories, and I look forward to watching you go on to achieve great things, individually and with Canada.

C.Ronaldo
11-05-2014, 02:39 PM
The level of play in MLS would be far more beneficial for Henry as far as his development is concerned. I hope he returns next season.

I know nothing of cyprus soccer

Is the biggest benefit to Henry the exposure to europe or is it the level of soccer?

TFC07
11-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Is the biggest benefit to Henry the exposure to europe or is it the level of soccer?

Exposure and EU passport.

Once Henry gets his EU passport (I believe it's easier to get an EU passport in Cyprus than any other EU nation) he will play in better European league.

spark
11-05-2014, 03:46 PM

APOEL had that 'famous' Champions League run where they made it to the quarter finals. It is probably the most diverse league in terms of nationalities as I recall hearing/reading somewhere the league/countries initiative to improve their national team was by attracting foreign players from all over to somehow improve their domestic players.

I'd imagine it's similar to playing in a Scandinavian country where if you're on a top side you'll play in European competition and gain exposure that way to hop over to a better league.

jloome
11-05-2014, 04:16 PM
APOEL had that 'famous' Champions League run where they made it to the quarter finals. It is probably the most diverse league in terms of nationalities as I recall hearing/reading somewhere the league/countries initiative to improve their national team was by attracting foreign players from all over to somehow improve their domestic players.

I'd imagine it's similar to playing in a Scandinavian country where if you're on a top side you'll play in European competition and gain exposure that way to hop over to a better league.

It has a few foreigners on each team but it's mostly Cypriot and Greek domestics, and the level of play is about USL.

I'll be stunned if Henry isn't back here next year. This is a sale in name only, a way for him to be on their books long enough to get a UK work permit.

spark
11-05-2014, 05:28 PM
It has a few foreigners on each team but it's mostly Cypriot and Greek domestics, and the level of play is about USL.

I'll be stunned if Henry isn't back here next year. This is a sale in name only, a way for him to be on their books long enough to get a UK work permit.

Apollon has fifteen nationalities represented outside of Cyprus. AEL has seventeen, Anorthosis fourteen, Omonia eleven, APOEL has nine - those are your top five teams right now in the table. I'm positive I heard on a pod the initiative of Cyprus football to improve their domestic players and national team is via bringing in players from outside the country to 'influence' their own - essentially Cyprus players are crap but if we can bring in heaps of decent players from elsewhere it will raise our quality.

Agree w Henry's return. Something seems off centre about the whole thing and with the above in mind, I don't think Cyprus is a "sell-on" league - many of these foreigners or key starters are older, so I'm not sure where/how Henry fits into any kind of plans with a top side there. Yeah I now agree/think 100% it's just a way to get him a passport.

portu
11-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Always half-hoped Henry would end up our version of Puyol. The guy got and continues to get too much stick for some tackles and red cards he had for us but I'll always remember him for the clean recovery slide tackles he would make that would remind me of his potential. Hope to see him in the prem one day. Thanks, Doneil.

molenshtain
11-06-2014, 02:41 AM
with as much stick as henry got by journalists like Larson as well as some fans, he was statistically the second best CB for the first half of the season behind Marshall. I think if he stayed this year and we got a a #1 CB closer to his prime than Caldwell to play along side Henry our defence would really be something extraordinary.

OgtheDim
11-06-2014, 07:03 AM
with as much stick as henry got by journalists like Larson as well as some fans, he was statistically the second best CB for the first half of the season behind Marshall. I think if he stayed this year and we got a a #1 CB closer to his prime than Caldwell to play along side Henry our defence would really be something extraordinary.

Rating systems are not really stats.

They are useful.

BUT, by their very nature, they are self selective. If you make the assumption that penalties given up, for example, is not as important for your rating system, then Henry is going to look good.

Analytics like this in this sport are in its infancy.

C.Ronaldo
11-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Exposure and EU passport.

Once Henry gets his EU passport (I believe it's easier to get an EU passport in Cyprus than any other EU nation) he will play in better European league.

golden ticket in Portugal, buy half a mill euro house, your in.

MartinUtd
11-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Isn't this thread a bit premature?

ryan
12-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Isn't this thread a bit premature?

Not anymore...

MartinUtd
12-03-2014, 01:15 PM
...4 weeks later

Initial B
12-03-2014, 03:01 PM
I wish him all the best wherever he ends up in Europe.

jazzy
12-03-2014, 10:01 PM
huge competitor and fine gentleman . He always gave his best for us his local fans and all his heart for his team .........and never complained . I was always hoping he would stay with us and become a solid fixture . Always, the best of luck with what ever you do . At least we will see him with Canada where he excels . He's one of us and I'll support him forever !

JayMolly
12-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Hope you return but if not, all the best 'playing-over-the-pond'.

I guess we may be giving appreciation to DeRo soon too?

Areathrasher
03-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Gone on loan to Blackburn and starts tonight against Sheffield Wednesday

burlington Red
03-04-2015, 02:27 PM
hope it works out for him, could be a delicate situation for him at West Ham, looks like Big Sam will be gone at end of season,

KRO
03-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Apparently he played well in a 2-1 Blackburn win. He's now in line to play against Liverpool in the FA Cup at Anfield on Saturday.

notthesun
03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Apparently he played well in a 2-1 Blackburn win. He's now in line to play against Liverpool in the FA Cup at Anfield on Saturday.

Blurb from Blackburn's website:

But the match will be remembered for the superb defensive display by Rovers with debutant Doneil Henry outstanding alongside captain Matt Kilgallon at the back.

The Canadian international only met his new team-mates at 4.30pm having signed on loan from West Ham United earlier in the day.

Time and time again the pair kept Wednesday at bay, and although substitute Chris Maguire did manage to breach the back line just past the hour mark, to a man the team defended resolutely to fully deserve their win on their travels.

Rovers sprang somewhat of a surprise when they named new signing Doneil Henry in their starting eleven for the Roses clash.

Signed just hours before the match at Hillsborough, the Canadian was one of five changes from the side that drew with Bournemouth at the weekend as Tommy Spurr, Chris Brown, Lee Williamson and Jordan Rhodes all returned.

MartinUtd
03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Some great words from the Blackburn manager on Henry

https://twitter.com/BBCLancashire/status/573251234272043009

(5 min audio interview)

OgtheDim
03-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Playing at Anfield. Feel great for the lad.

Playing against that set of forwards in the form they are in while defending the Kop end though- if he does something Henryesque, it could end his career. Just keep your head down and play the game simple lad.

Greatest Ripoff
03-05-2015, 01:58 AM
Playing against that set of forwards in the form they are in while defending the Kop end though- if he does something Henryesque, it could end his career.

This is a joke, right?

Lumpy
03-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Here is his post game interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-4VK3RILJE

OgtheDim
03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
This is a joke, right?

English media...love to pigeon hole. It took 6 months for an established guy like Kolo Toure to get out from under a gaffe he did last season. Imagine what the press would do to a young, non-Brit, defender. I shudder at the potential. Just play your game Doniel.

burlington Red
03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
English media...love to pigeon hole. It took 6 months for an established guy like Kolo Toure to get out from under a gaffe he did last season. Imagine what the press would do to a young, non-Brit, defender. I shudder at the potential. Just play your game Doniel.

don't see that happening at all. In the form Liverpool are in, Blackburn go into that game big underdogs and are expected to lose anyway and probably by more than 1 goal. If he does play and he or any of his defenders make a mistake, it wouldn't be unduly highlighted by the press. The Toure example isn't a good one, he actually made a series of errors in a few games which were highlighted in large part due to his high profile and the fact a lot of Liverpool fans weren't exactly happy that he was ever signed.At the same time though, he give 1 decent performance against Madrid in CL and the press were talking about him being the best thing since sliced bread. I recall Vidic at Utd having a couple of complete nightmares against Liverpool, never did his reputation any harm in the long term.
He'll be fine, like any defender he'll make mistakes, he'll learn from them and move on.The press have a lot more meatier things to write about than to hound a young defender in his 2nd game possibly making a mistake in a game they are huge underdogs in.There is more chance of the press going OTT in praise of him if he does play and puts in a quality performance

Leedsoronto
03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Good interview and a great start for Blackburn at Wends ground.

The wrong train ehh ? Lol Yeh it's England there is more rail track than just the lakeshore.

Areathrasher
03-05-2015, 09:36 AM

If he were to screw up the only ones to remember would be Blackburn fans. The English media, for all their faults, aren't going to hang a kid at a lower league club out to dry for screwing up in a cup tie against Liverpool.

burlington Red
03-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Not sure if this is great news for henry, but West Ham centre half Winston Reid has signed a new 6 1/2 yr contract with the club. It was generally assumed he was leaving the club at the end of the season, big Sam even said back In Jan he expected Reid to leave when season was done.

KRO
03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Not sure if this is great news for henry, but West Ham centre half Winston Reid has signed a new 6 1/2 yr contract with the club. It was generally assumed he was leaving the club at the end of the season, big Sam even said back In Jan he expected Reid to leave when season was done.

I think it would be better for Doneil's development if he played on loan at a Championship club for a year or two. The Championship is a tough uncompromising division with a 46 game season. He would grow up fast. I think it's too early to throw him into the Premier League and he's not going to develop sitting on the bench.

jloome
03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Manager said he had an "incredible" debut, after getting to sheffield on the train at 4 p.m. and playing a couple of hours later.

JavierMartini
03-05-2015, 01:23 PM
anyone know where i can find a torrent of the game?

KRO
03-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Correction - The Liverpool v Blackburn game is on Sunday at 12 ET on Sportsnet World. It will be interesting to see how Henry does against the likes of Sturridge and possible Ballotelli.

C.Ronaldo
03-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I think it would be better for Doneil's development if he played on loan at a Championship club for a year or two. The Championship is a tough uncompromising division with a 46 game season. He would grow up fast. I think it's too early to throw him into the Premier League and he's not going to develop sitting on the bench.

henry has real man strength (not like college frat boy strength but real man strength), i think a month at blackburn will do him well

Wince
03-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Match highlights. Henry in a couple of clips including a failed clearance leading to a Sheffield goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if31nF9UH0w

BuSaPuNk
03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Match highlights. Henry in a couple of clips including a failed clearance leading to a Sheffield goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if31nF9UH0w

Can't really fault him on the clearance. Just unlucky to hammer it into his own player.

Richard
03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
I think this is the perfect place for Henry, he is going to grow up fast in that league for sure.

Also, what's up with the pitch lol. Rugby? Shudder to think that's what BMO could be like.

Kaz
03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I think this is the perfect place for Henry, he is going to grow up fast in that league for sure.

Also, what's up with the pitch lol. Rugby? Shudder to think that's what BMO could be like.

I think it may just be weather and play related. I can't find any stories on it.. I'm actually curious how the pitch got that bad.

Walms
03-06-2015, 11:11 AM
good news! He will get more Min & It will be exciting to see him play on Sunday!

That's awesome to hear him getting some praise

Yohan
03-06-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/11839331._/?ref=mac

jloome
03-06-2015, 05:15 PM
And a follow:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11838550.Blackburn_Rovers_new_boy_Doneil_Henry_aim s_to_end_whirlwind_week_with_Liverpool_FA_Cup_win/?ref=mr (http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11838550.Blackburn_Rovers_new_boy_Doneil_Henry_aim s_to_end_whirlwind_week_with_Liverpool_FA_Cup_win/?ref=mr)

Richard
03-06-2015, 05:16 PM
This gets me excited, makes me want to tune into a few championship games now. Good luck to him against Liverpool,no shame in loosing that game but keep it simple.

Leedsoronto
03-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Any one know the line up for Liverpool game, ok I found it he sub bench

Blackburn Rovers starting XI: Eastwood, Henley, Baptiste, Kilgallon, Olsson, Marshall, Evans, Williamson, Conway, Cairney, Gestede

BRFC subs: Spurr, Brown, Rhodes, Taylor, Henry, Lenihan, Steele

OgtheDim
03-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Henry is on the bench.

Wince
03-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Got his first assist.

https://youtu.be/z1yp9AD1YR0?t=2m20s

BritSOL
03-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Lots of praise

http://www.football365.com/blackburn-rovers/9756979/Doneil-Henry-praised-by-Blackburn-boss-Gary-Bowyer

ag futbol
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Judging from the Blackburn Twitter feed bit of everything today from Henry. Last ditch tackle, good passing over the top, few vulnerable moments where defenders pulled away from him (but he didn't get punished for it). Also off injured in the second half, hard to tell how serious it is from the feed.

Petor
03-14-2015, 12:36 PM
hamstring injury, even mild ones are not good.

Wince
03-17-2015, 01:46 PM
He goes down at 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nebXlRDp0tE

Richard
03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
That looked painful. :(

JonO
03-17-2015, 02:55 PM
He is done for the season. Tough break for Doneil and he was playing well and getting some love...

flatpicker
03-17-2015, 02:57 PM
bummer

barticusz
03-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Guess we'll be looking elsewhere for the CNMT. Mr. Gasparatto?

TFC1154ever
03-17-2015, 06:03 PM
How long is he out for? Is he going to be out for the WCQ and the Gold Cup?

Areathrasher
03-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Balls. Poor fella.

Pint
03-17-2015, 09:53 PM
So what happened?

MartinUtd
03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
So what happened?

I read somewhere it's a hamstring. He was in full sprint and went down like a sack of potatoes.

Walms
03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
That's a terrible update, I hope he bounces back asap, any news on how long yet?

Wince
03-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Out for the season

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/blackburn-rovers/injury-news/news/injury-ends-doneil-henrys-season_211846.html

Walms
03-20-2015, 12:07 AM
And will miss the Gold Cup... This is gutting, right when it was all clicking so nicely for him