PDA

View Full Version : Tim L discusses "The Guarantee" and makes a new one

Pookie
11-05-2014, 06:55 AM
On his playoff guarantee:
"I do not regret a commitment to make the playoffs. I regret not making the playoffs. And that's a big difference," the MLSE boss said Tuesday. "I'm fairly certain Winston Churchill didn't go into the war saying, 'Whatever you guys do, don't say we're going to win.'
"I've never met a championship-calibre organization that I've been around that didn't want to be a champion. And so we cannot and will not be afraid of setting goals and standards for ourselves and demanding that we achieve them. And occasionally it means we're going to have to live with a little bit of a kick in the pants. I take the kick in the pants, as nothing more than a motivation that we've got to do better."

http://www.tsn.ca/leiweke-no-regrets-over-playoff-promise-despite-toronto-fc-s-failure-to-deliver-1.125262

On Jermain Defoe:

"Jermain needs to decide if he wants to be here. If he does, then I think he's one of the great strikers in MLS. If he does not, then that situation is ours to ultimately decide — not his — because we own his contract. We're not going to give him away. And so we're in a good spot.
"The one thing I can promise our fans — one way or another, this will end well for TFC. (I) guarantee it."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-has-plan-b-if-jermain-defoe-leaves-1.2823785

FRANKIE65
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
He's really starting to sound more like an old school used cars salesman with all the guarantees.

That's right sir, all highway miles AND lady driven!

On a more serious note, I'm sure he wants to succeed (another feather in the cap) and this past season definitely was quite the blow to his gigantic ego.

JuliquE
11-05-2014, 08:22 AM
He's really starting to sound more like an old school used cars salesman with all the guarantees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7FbMtPRu8

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100717053527/simpsons/images/f/f0/Crazyv.jpg

BuSaPuNk
11-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Realistically what do you want your leadership group say? Either way they get roasted by the fans/supporters and the media.

A guarentte of any kind is taken with a grain of salt. I never took his guarantee literally because you can't.

They want to win that much is clear and the things being done in the FO the past three seasons are all steps to getting us to that position that we all want.

OfficeGuy
11-05-2014, 09:47 AM
I can deal with onfield lack of success when I see players coming off drenched in sweat - and the jubilant celebrations when we win a hotly contested game - but, I cannot buy into more FO guarantees or promises for merch or ticket sales - held off buying the black kit as nice as it is - TFC cannot become a money pit for me

zeelaw
11-05-2014, 09:59 AM

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100717053527/simpsons/images/f/f0/Crazyv.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNraiEToB8c

C.Ronaldo
11-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Have we been asked to pay for season tickets yet? another bid deal coming up?

barticusz
11-05-2014, 11:00 AM

On a more serious note, I'm sure he wants to succeed (another feather in the cap) and this past season definitely was quite the blow to his gigantic ego.

........... What do you want him to say? The old cliche's of "we will be better next year" etc?

This fan base is so fickle. You were tired of leadership with no prior success or vision. You get Tim L. who is a true believer in MLS and wants this team to succeed more than any other president we've had. Puts in lots of time to try and improve it, and believes he's done enough so he gauruntees the playoffs. Things fall apart, as can happen. Yet he's still here touting this team and planning for the future.

Regardless of whether he's here past January or not this is the type of guy that I hope the MLSE finds again. Someone who is passionate and bold and expects success.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 11:16 AM
this is the type of guy that I hope the MLSE finds again. Someone who is passionate and bold and expects success.
Agree 100%. He may put his foot in his mouth and make promises that can't be kept but at least he is an MLSE guy that cares about TFC for reasons other than how much profit they make form them.

ryan
11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Agree as well. I'm a fan of Tim, I think he brought a much needed culture change to the MLSE suits, but his quick departure tells me the old culture has won, which I don't like one bit.

He's got them to spend money they likely wouldn't have without him. Played a role in getting our stadium upgraded, regardless if you agree with what's coming, an upgrade is still an upgrade. He spoke the truth about the inner workings of the MLSE culture, it's problems which will all know - and hate. Like after his departure announcement, he was critical of the culture and I recall seeing board posts here stating "we need to get this lame duck out" and other comments about damage control. I entirely disagreed. He aired out MLSE's dirty laundry for all of us to see. The things we know and hate. A reason why MLSE is such a fucking shit show of failure. He finally put it out there for us to see and hear. It's what MLSE needs, or rather what we as fans need to have happen to MLSE, for them to be embarrassed for how they operate.

His departure is not good for us I don't think, nor do I think MLSE is going to go down this road again. We're going to get another Anselmi and hate every second of it.

FRANKIE65
11-05-2014, 12:20 PM
........... What do you want him to say? The old cliche's of "we will be better next year" etc?

This fan base is so fickle. You were tired of leadership with no prior success or vision. You get Tim L. who is a true believer in MLS and wants this team to succeed more than any other president we've had. Puts in lots of time to try and improve it, and believes he's done enough so he gauruntees the playoffs. Things fall apart, as can happen. Yet he's still here touting this team and planning for the future.

Regardless of whether he's here past January or not this is the type of guy that I hope the MLSE finds again. Someone who is passionate and bold and expects success.

Wouldn't say I'm fickle, and, I actually like Tim L too. Just wish he would stop using the "G" word. ACTIONS, man, ACTIONS!!!

JuliquE
11-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't say I'm fickle, and, I actually like Tim L too. Just wish he would stop using the "G" word. ACTIONS, man, ACTIONS!!!
This post is everything.

I know we've been taking steps.. I just feel like, where we were, it was more important to under-promise and over-deliver, lest he destroy the already abused trust amongst the supporters.

Having said that, and as deep as the rot ran at TFC, perhaps a bold type like him was required for the demolition phase of our culture change. Then, once he's invariably labelled the scapegoat when things come up a bit short of his ambitious goals, all the tools are there and the foundation set for us to continue to grow positively.

This is my hope, anyway.. LALALALALAAALALALLA -- I can't hear anything else.. LALALAA!

Walms
11-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Why all the shots at Used car Salesmen... :noidea:

Red4ever
11-05-2014, 02:34 PM

http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/attachments/5786d1389980223-who-here-has-cla-without-sports-package-speedholes.jpg

TFC07
11-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Thank you!

Tim L may talk too much, but if you look at overall picture, TFC isn't that bad of a place compare to the past. Sure some mistakes were made this year, but we still have better core than before and just need to add few pieces to make TFC a playoff team. Biggest issue is going to be coaching staff if they can handle pressure next year.

ag futbol
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Yeah somewhere there's a used car salesman who once made good on a promise. TFC management on the other hand....

Cashcleaner
11-05-2014, 03:58 PM

Absolutely agreed. Don't get me wrong, results are important and in that regard Lieweke failed. And to be honest, he knows it and is likely nursing a pretty bruised ego right now because of it. But Lieweke also has vision obviously a lot of professional drive and that's something a lot of organizations could always use more. Remember, when Bradley, Gilberto, Ceasar, and Defoe were all announced prior to the start of the season; that sent a very clear message that Tim wanted this club to contend. The dollar amount of those investments proved what he was willing to do. Ultimately, we didn't get the results we wanted; but it's hard to criticize the plan at the time.

Redcoe15
11-05-2014, 05:00 PM
On his playoff guarantee:
"I do not regret a commitment to make the playoffs. I regret not making the playoffs. And that's a big difference," the MLSE boss said Tuesday. "I'm fairly certain Winston Churchill didn't go into the war saying, 'Whatever you guys do, don't say we're going to win.'
"I've never met a championship-calibre organization that I've been around that didn't want to be a champion. And so we cannot and will not be afraid of setting goals and standards for ourselves and demanding that we achieve them. And occasionally it means we're going to have to live with a little bit of a kick in the pants. I take the kick in the pants, as nothing more than a motivation that we've got to do better."
Personally, I think he should receive a kick in his ballsack, if he wants to make things square.

TFC_Allez
11-05-2014, 05:49 PM
If Leiweke never promised playoffs, would he still be catching as much heat as he is now? I would have to say no way. He got us to actually think that we could be a great team in this league and he got the owners to throw enough cash at this floundering failure of a team to try and make it happen...and for what its worth, we still did set franchise bests for wins and points. What I do think he should be catching some heat for is ditching MLSE in general. I honestly think him announcing his departure when he did had an effect on TFC especially. Do I place the failure of us not making the playoffs on him? not at all. That's on the coaching, the players and Bez more than anyone. I think there's a lot of misplaced anger towards Tim L. "Used Care Salesman" or not, a guy who can talk a big game and back it up is something that MLSE should be looking for in his replacement. And for as much as he did make the mistake of promising playoffs, he always did stick to his initial statement of saying we are still a work in progress. The only DP calibre addition we should be actively hunting for is a coach with experience *cough* Bob Bradley *cough*.

This is all just my opinion. I'm probably wrong. Have at it.

ensco
11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Why doesn't he just deal with Defoe, make the signing of the guy he has lined up, whatever.

I am very bored by this all-seeing master-of-the-universe know-it-all schtick, and I am tired of getting positioned like this. You make the signing, we'll tell you if we are impressed.

The playoff guarantee was incredibly dumb, a terrible blunder. Making the playoffs is beyond his control, and he put his players and management in a tough spot.

I would like to better understand why he is leaving, and why so soon, before opining on his tenure here.

SamK
11-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Why doesn't he just deal with Defoe, make the signing of the guy he has lined up, whatever.

I am very bored by this all-seeing master-of-the-universe know-it-all schtick, and I am tired of getting positioned like this. You make the signing, we'll tell you if we are impressed.

The playoff guarantee was incredibly dumb, a terrible blunder. Making the playoffs is beyond his control, and he put his players and management in a tough spot.

I would like to better understand why he is leaving, and why so soon, before opining on his tenure here.

From his seminar at Ryerson it seems like he has a plan for a venture that would compete with stubhub/other secondary ticket markets. He didn't give too many details on it though. May be time sensitive, may not be.

ensco
11-05-2014, 08:24 PM
From his seminar at Ryerson it seems like he has a plan for a venture that would compete with stubhub/other secondary ticket markets. He didn't give too many details on it though. May be time sensitive, may not be.

I don't believe that is the reason. CEOs of this pedigree don't walk one year into a five year deal just because some new venture comes along. He signed a contract and gave his word.

I think I know, but there are people out there spinning a lot of stories about this, so I'll wait.

Pookie
11-06-2014, 06:56 AM
I love his confidence and passion.

No one can predict the future which therefore makes guarantees about outcomes worthless. I wouldn't go out and buy a new boat just because a fortune teller at the Fair said that I would find financial success soon. And I certainly don't believe that Mr L is clarvoyant.

The only outcome of a guarantee is pressure. In a golf match against another twosome, if I guarantee that my partner is about to make a putt all that I have done is add pressure. He might make it. He might miss. I have no clue. Both outcomes are possible. It is true though that pressure can have a negative impact on performance. My guarantee, though well intended, actually serves to hurt his chances.

That's what I believe happened here. A soccer team with a history of failure. A city with a history of failure. A fan base used to failure in every sport all of a sudden is the easiest team to turn around and "will make the playoffs"

Maybe it was an easy putt but you'd be surprised how many people miss easy putts, especially under pressure.

Canary10
11-06-2014, 09:18 AM
I don't believe that is the reason. CEOs of this pedigree don't walk one year into a five year deal just because some new venture comes along. He signed a contract and gave his word.

I think I know, but there are people out there spinning a lot of stories about this, so I'll wait.

For what it's worth I heard it was a spending issue.

ensco
11-06-2014, 10:24 AM
For what it's worth I heard it was a spending issue.

I believe that this is the likeliest story. Having spent a hundred million on TFC was just a warm up for Leiweke, apparently. He supposedly insisted on a lot more, plus he wanted a more aggressive stance vis a vis the NHL, and that ended it.

Not 100% sure, as I said, need to let the spinning play out.

Richard
11-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Shame on MLSE if that's the case.

Sigh, why cant this city get ever get a billionaire owner passionate about sports.

lobo
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM

because the only interested buyers must wait til January for a transfer window to open

I love his confidence and passion.

No one can predict the future which therefore makes guarantees about outcomes worthless. I wouldn't go out and buy a new boat just because a fortune teller at the Fair said that I would find financial success soon. And I certainly don't believe that Mr L is clarvoyant.

The only outcome of a guarantee is pressure. In a golf match against another twosome, if I guarantee that my partner is about to make a putt all that I have done is add pressure. He might make it. He might miss. I have no clue. Both outcomes are possible. It is true though that pressure can have a negative impact on performance. My guarantee, though well intended, actually serves to hurt his chances.

That's what I believe happened here. A soccer team with a history of failure. A city with a history of failure. A fan base used to failure in every sport all of a sudden is the easiest team to turn around and "will make the playoffs"

Maybe it was an easy putt but you'd be surprised how many people miss easy putts, especially under pressure.

Some people respond well to pressure, they rise to the occasion, they apply greater focus and effort to see it through ... not all will crumble under pressure, but clearly this team did. The way i see it, Leiweke made the guarantee as a sign of confidence in the team, and from a leadership perspective, I like that. Yes, adding pressure can hurt chances, especially if the desired result is out of reach (making playoffs was not an outrageous expectation) ... but it can also be a strong motivational tool, the key is knowing how your personnel (or golf partner) will respond to it. I think Leiweke was well intentioned, but used poor judgement. In the end, I don't believe his playoff promise was a critical error contributing to the team's downfall this year, that's on the coaches and players for failing to plan and execute.

ag futbol
11-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I think the good news is this partnership can't last forever and as far as corporate buyers go there doesn't appear to be any more natural candidates.

Next step would be to de-assemble this monstrosity and sell off the parts.

Call me contrarian but I think the sports business has peaked and so has telecom.

OgtheDim
11-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I think the good news is this partnership can't last forever and as far as corporate buyers go there doesn't appear to be any more natural candidates.

Next step would be to de-assemble this monstrosity and sell off the parts.

And we end up with the buying power of Columbus, or if we are lucky, SKC.

Not sure I like that idea at all.

Pookie
11-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Some people respond well to pressure, they rise to the occasion, they apply greater focus and effort to see it through ... not all will crumble under pressure, but clearly this team did. The way i see it, Leiweke made the guarantee as a sign of confidence in the team, and from a leadership perspective, I like that. Yes, adding pressure can hurt chances, especially if the desired result is out of reach (making playoffs was not an outrageous expectation) ... but it can also be a strong motivational tool, the key is knowing how your personnel (or golf partner) will respond to it. I think Leiweke was well intentioned, but used poor judgement. In the end, I don't believe his playoff promise was a critical error contributing to the team's downfall this year, that's on the coaches and players for failing to plan and execute.

I just don't see the value in guaranteeing an outcome that you don't control.

I can see value in setting a goal. I can see value in motivating people to achieve the goal. That's different than a guarantee.

Since the future isn't written the guarantee is worthless because there is no consequence of not achieving it.

You can guarantee that a product will work. If it doesn't, the promise is to replace it. The consumer is assured of a working product over the term of the guarantee.

You can't guarantee a sports outcome unless you are featured in a Declan Hill book.

Still Kicking
11-06-2014, 02:24 PM
My biggest worry with Tim L. is that it seems (and I know I am dealing with perceptions of Tim L. through the media) everytime he talks about TFC, any sense of strategy in the area of player acquisition goes out the window.

So Tim L says Defoe was not a mistake, he could be great in MLS, we have his contract and anyone who wants him will have to pay BIG, I tell you BIG money (I just imagine the QPR owner hearing that and adjusting the offer downwards).

So Tim L says IF we sell Defoe, we already know exactly, precisely the guy we are going to sign as a DP in his place ( I just imagine that somewhere the agent for said player, hearing that all eggs are heading to his basket, just adjusted the contract demands upward).

And Tim L. says that TFC fans will be happy when all the dealings done....

ag futbol
11-06-2014, 02:44 PM
And we end up with the buying power of Columbus, or if we are lucky, SKC.

Not sure I like that idea at all.
I don't think that's true, unless we get purchased by someone really small and rinky-dink owner (which I would think is unlikely given the size of our market).

MLSE outside of putting the stadium downtown has been a huge negative to this team. We need people with a direct vested interest, not bloated and disconnected corporate boards where management is preoccupied and hugely political.

TFC07
11-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't think that's true, unless we get purchased by someone really small and rinky-dink owner (which I would think is unlikely given the size of our market).

MLSE outside of putting the stadium downtown has been a huge negative to this team. We need people with a direct vested interest, not bloated and disconnected corporate boards where management is preoccupied and hugely political.

You can say same for Raptors who have suffer a lot from MLSE ownership, but I highly doubt Raptors will ever be sold due to new US TV contract that makes NHL TV contract look like minor league.

Point is: TFC is going to suffer same fate as Raptors until the league grows financially. These board members think money not on-field results.

Larry T is rumour to behind Tim L firing because Larry didn't like how much money Tim Leiweke was spending on TFC and Raptors.

Villa TFC
11-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I have two main issues with Tim L.

1) The guarantee. You never issue a guarantee unless you can guarantee that you'll honour that guarantee! I'm all for confidence and positivity. He should have said something like "Our aim this season is to make the play-offs. Anything short of that would be an unimaginable and catastrophic failure..." etc etc. However, having given 'the guarantee' he should back it up not just with words but with something tangible. A "free" something of real value or a cash refund for 10% of the cost of a 2014 season ticket, or a genuine and valuable discount, etc. Words are cheap. MLSE have very deep pockets. Words do not cut it, something that has a direct cash value is necessary (and I'm not talking about a barbecue, a tuque or a magnetic fridge calendar).

2) Tim L publicly calling out Defoe for wanting to leave: “My attitude if you want to be here and you want to buy into what we’re doing, let’s go. Roll up your sleeves and we’ll fight together. And I will be there with you every day.If you don’t want to be here, get the hell out of our way” when just a few days earlier Tim L had himself quit MLSE: "...with new opportunities on the horizon, it’s time for me to begin the transition from sports and entertainment executive to entrepreneur.” Regardless of what really happened between Defoe and TFC and what happened between Leiweke and MLSE, I found then and still find now Tim L's public words hypocritical and ridiculous. I agree with his comments on Defoe but even if Tim L wanted to stay here long-term as some have suggested and he is actually being forced out, the optics of his comments on Defoe reek of hypocrisy and showboating. You can't call out someone for not being committed to the cause when a few days earlier you quit that cause.

lobo
11-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I just don't see the value in guaranteeing an outcome that you don't control.

I can see value in setting a goal. I can see value in motivating people to achieve the goal. That's different than a guarantee.

Since the future isn't written the guarantee is worthless because there is no consequence of not achieving it.

You can guarantee that a product will work. If it doesn't, the promise is to replace it. The consumer is assured of a working product over the term of the guarantee.

You can't guarantee a sports outcome unless you are featured in a Declan Hill book.

from that perspective, i cannot disagree ... and loved your last line.

personally, i was speaking specifically about adding pressure; which a goal or, in this case, the 'guarantee', was intended to do. again, i think it was poor judgement but then there is the marketing or selling perspective also, which leiweke was clearly aiming for here. in any case, i don't see his guarantee as a significant factor in the team's failure to make the playoffs. too many other distractions and failures thrown into that mix.

ensco
11-06-2014, 06:08 PM
"I know exactly who we will sign if Defoe leaves" is not a credible statement, and it's a childish thing to say even if it were true. The guy's need to be an all seeing, all knowing deity is kind of pathetic.

1) Leiweke is a lame duck. Who says he can deliver anything?
2) By definition, the unnamed player could back out

BuSaPuNk
11-06-2014, 06:21 PM
"I know exactly who we will sign if Defoe leaves" is not a credible statement, and it's a childish thing to say even if it were true. The guy's need to be an all seeing, all knowing deity is kind of pathetic.

1) Leiweke is a lame duck. Who says he can deliver anything?
2) By definition, the unnamed player could back out

I'm pretty sure if Tim L has someone in mind that he would want to bring in too replace Defoe he would express to said player that he would be leaving.

I think they've had targets lined up even after they signed Defoe and Bradley.