PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on MLS after yesterday...

profit89
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
After yesterday's (pathetic) performance, I got to thinking...

MLS has to implement two things...

1. Single Table for MLS: none of this conference crap. Keep the playoff structure the way it is (it resembles the Mexican League so it's ok)

2. Promotion/Relegation is critical. USL-1 and USL-2 need to merge firstly, and MLS's two worst teams need to be demoted. Teams that cant beat USL teams deserve to be threatened with demotion... it's only way that they'll be forced to improve. BUT i think that promotion/relegation should work in the same fashion as the Japanese League, whereby the number of teams relegated/promoted depends on whether the promoted team can meet the financial requirements of the league being promoted to; like that there no chance of a financially strapped and unsupported USL team being promoted to MLS.

So, the number of teams relegated/promoted would vary from 0-2... but at least the threat is there !!

TFC you suck! :o:o

Any thoughts?

Tintin
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
That would be great and ideal. I like the Japanese example. The problem is that it is not in the Nort Marican culture to have relegation. Won't happen soon if at all.

DVS
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I like Single table and promotion/relegation.

The only problem is I don't think any USL team could meet the MLS cap requirements now. It would be ideal but I don't think it would be done.

Just hope for Single Table is my guess

Antoshka
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
no thanks.

the league is good the way it is.

promotion/relegation will NOT work in north america! teams will disappear as soon as they are relegated.

ilikemusic
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Im not really sure why an embarrassing cup tournament is the final straw in your determination that MLS' league structure is flawed.:noidea:

rocker
07-23-2008, 11:38 AM
my idea on promo/releg is when they get to 30 teams have 1 season where the bottom 12 get bumped down to a second division. the top 18 league is where you qualify for big tourneys or get into playoffs. second division is just league play.
All 30 teams have the same salary cap # and share in revenue. Then you take away the "I-can-spend-more-money-than-Kansas-City-to-stay-in-the-first-division" factor.
it also won't scare away investors since they are still in the league.
provides some incentive while also not hurting a team too much if they go down.
and the second division quality should still be pretty good cuz they are on the same financial footing as the first division.

this would then be a hybrid approach that recognizes the problems of the NA sporting marketplace and NA traditions.

but that's the only way I see it happening. I'm pretty happy with the way it is now.

ensco
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
You can't have both (i) corporate ownership and a salary cap, and (ii) promotion/relegation, it's one or the other.

Companies like AEG or MLSE won't buy teams if there's a risk of the value evaporating (examples are Leeds or Oxford United)

Detroit_TFC
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe college sports is a possible model. Essentially for the owners to go for it, it would have to be one MLS with three competition levels, with a minimum level of required infrastructure (mainly stadium size) at each level and a HUGE pot of gold for getting in the top flight.

The big push by small colleges to get into NCAA Div I is driven by the financial perks you get for being a Div I school (tv rev and more scholarships you can give out), but they have to qualify to get admitted to a Div I conference by meeting facility and attendance requirements.

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
You honestly think the casuals would show upto TFC games after they figure out that Toronto is playing in a second tier league? No chance in hell. The league structure is fine as it is. No need for any dramatic changes. At least not until the 20 team goal is achieved. Then they can think about what they want to do next.

Kickit09
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
you can forget about Promotion/Relegation as long as MLS is selling franchises for what 40 million now?

Marc"2L"
07-23-2008, 01:39 PM
We will have transporter technology (like in star trek) before we have promotion and regelation. That, or some other way to travel cheaper and faster then current means.

Cashcleaner
07-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Seriously, how many existing clubs or potential franchisees are going to alow a system of promotion or relegation?

Think about the cost of getting a franchise and try to see if it makes sense. It doesn't.

Furthermore, just because something works in Europe or South America or wherever, it doesn't mean it will work here? You don't think so? Take a look at Major and Minor League Baseball and ask yourself if there is any promotion/relegation there.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
The North American sports culture will not allow a relegation system.

I think it makes teams work harder at both ends of the table! I find the relegation battle at the bottom of the Premiership far more engaging than the Championship…players and teams fighting for their footballing lives! Sadly, it will never happen here.

I'm all for the single table. I have a widget that shows the MLS standings as one and its so much easier to look at the league.

Have a look…this is for Mac but I'm sure there's a Bill Gates version…

http://www.mbovin.com/soccerdb/site/dashboard.php

Northern Soul
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I think the biggest problem with MLS isn't the table structure, but the salary cap. DP aside, how can we compete (even with Championship clubs in England) for players when our hands are tied salary-wise?